Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of September ninth, we are continuing with Lost, Season one, episode ten raised by another, a particularly fraught episode. Yeah, nightmares that cause your palms to bleed. We have attacks? Was it an attack? Was it not an attack? And we have Tom Cruise's cousin not Big on the manifest.
Speaker 2: O creepy creepy and also the creepy psychiatrist creepyat not psychic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, creepy, creepy, not one of those wholesome psyche that just you know, take your money and tell you something nice. No, you could see you on a plane to doom. Yeah, you must be on this flight. Did they say eight fifteen in them enough times?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: But h cree p, we have apparently met our first other. Yeah even And this is this is the thing when you have just random extras wandering around without names and differentiation, it's hard to know when somebody else just kind of wanders in.
Speaker 2: Right, So they have to really finally do you know.
Speaker 1: How many weeks getting the idea maybe we should make a list?
Speaker 2: I know? Well? And then oh, by the way, we do have a list already.
Speaker 1: Yes, they wait till he's done all these interviews to tell him, oh, oh, you mean a list of people that we're on the plane.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh, like this one right here?
Speaker 1: Yes, but Sawyer is softening up, so he's trying to be a good guy. He's trying to be a team player. Yeah, he gets like another he's one of them.
Speaker 2: He gets about one minute of screen time to show that he's not a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Right now, No, no, here's a list now that you've done all the work. But see, conveniently that means that he can compare his list to the list and fine dum.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Just as Sayid stumbles out of the jungle whispering about whisperers and others and crazy French ladies and all this stuff, they discover a stranger amongst us who happens to be at that moment confronting Clara and Charlie with a really creepy look. Yeah, I want to know the direction of that scene. Just look menacing in a creepy way, not not like a lock with a knife way, but just like, what the heck is this guy?
Speaker 2: He seems so normal, gathering his fruits or whatever he was.
Speaker 1: He never did was gathering sticks. I think he was always gathering sticks, which is the thing you do when your bosses tell you, oh, leveled, write that group. It's like you don't want to do.
Speaker 2: Anything makes yourself look fairly.
Speaker 1: I'll pick up some sticks and look around. Right, this is going nowhere good. But poor Claire, Yes, her baby didn't even have a chance to have the bad daddy that he was going to have the bad daddy, Like, yes he did. He seemed so nice. You never suspected that he would you know that he's impulsive. Hey, let's have the baby would wear off after a few weeks, right, Yeah, good acting by that guy of absolute fecklessness. That must have been in the script, just you know, sort of proposed to her in a way that indicates that you don't really mean it. Yes, and then bring up curtains. That's it, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well wait until she's balanced on a ladder, you know, able to fall out a window at any moment. Yeah, then break up with her.
Speaker 1: Yes, curtains are the last straw. I think we all know that. How dare you try to domesticate me in this way with cartons?
Speaker 2: Too much domestice on a windows lady?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh man, he was not good, and the psychic also was. What up with him?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 1: So poor? Yeah, Claire's having a bad day. She is bad couple of days because she's you know, has the nightmare of the one night and has either a second nightmare or is actually physically attacked presumably by Ethan on the second night. Right, and plus which she's you know, gonna give birth any minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and no stress, she's Charlie's being nothing but nice, but she's just like, dude, I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: He's like a little puppy. Yeah, love me, love me, love me. I love you. Oh, poor baby, poor baby, and poor Claire.
Speaker 3: Also, yes, exactly, and I mean so we got the flashbacks in terms of how she got on the plane, but right, not a whole lot else about her life, although I guess this is the most salient part.
Speaker 1: Her baby must not be raised by another Yeah, okay, Yeah, when even the psychic gets creeped out, then you gotta worry. Yeah, so what is this deal?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There was some good face acting with that guy, just like what am I seeing here? But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you never send the customer away, No, you say, I'll tell you, but it will be another two hundred dollars, right, He wasn't having that, Nope, But he censor it has to be on that flight.
Speaker 1: Yes, Does he know that he is sending her to mystery island? Right? And if so, why and who? And is everybody destined to be on this island?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Or just lucky her? Right? They thought she would be alone? Yes, he realized there's a whole manifested people, therector and various other personages.
Speaker 2: So and but with this structure of you know, person of the week, flashback of the of the week. I know it's not going to be that way forever, but like, was it two or three or four episodes ago that Sayid got hit on the head and there has been like no follow up?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm surprised that he didn't want that there has more conversation.
Speaker 2: About it, Yeah, like who did this?
Speaker 1: Sayid obviously was talking to Locke about it and thought that Sawyer did it, but there's been no further discuss There was really no discussion directly of it. And no, you know, they didn't have like a like an island council to say attacked this guy.
Speaker 2: Everyone just just assumes that it's Sawyer. I guess, I.
Speaker 1: Guess, or but well now they have a whole other people on the island. Can't been anybody, right, right, I can't. I honestly do not remember who it was. But Locke does seem like a likely suspect because he don't get off of there right, keeps getting better and better.
Speaker 2: All the boar you can eat, functional legs and plenty of boar, and a little protege too.
Speaker 1: In the way that I bet he could make Claire a cradle in no time flat. I bet that would be his thing if she ever gets if she ever comes back, if the baby ever comes back, I don't remember, but yesh, I mean, things keep getting better for these guys, doesn't it. They crash on a plane, then the plane is attacking them, then bores are attacking them. They keep like kind of overcoming the thing. And then oh, by the way, do we mention there's strange people on this island who may be hunting us, and also a crazy woman, and also somebody hit Sayeed on the head, and also.
Speaker 2: Well, also somebody might be attack and Claire, you know, in her sleep while everyone else was sleeping right there.
Speaker 1: I know all this stuff. I remember when I first started watching this, And I don't know if it went this far into the series or if it was just at the very beginning I was thinking. I had gone into it thinking this was going to be like a dramatized version of Survivor, where it was just going to be surviving on an island, dealing with the other people in your group, right like I kept thinking, a monster, a polar bear. To have them just surviving, is that not enough? They gotta find food, They gotta get along with each other.
Speaker 3: What if some of these.
Speaker 1: People are you know, bad guys, They're just there's enough drama there. Do we need all this? But of course yes they need all this other stuff. And you know, pretty soon all this other stuff is what it was about and not right, you know, that's the show that it was and okay, but I still keep thinking, you know, it seems like there'd be enough drama without that. Yeah, perhaps we don't know. I got enough to deal with just keeping forty some people alive, right, you know, weather, animals, regular animals, animals do you expect to see in the jungle?
Speaker 2: Well, and a lack of any and all, you know, medical supplies, hygiene items, Yes, every.
Speaker 1: Interesting, wouldn't it, Yes, But no, it has to be weird.
Speaker 2: Extremely we will go with the weirdness.
Speaker 1: And somebody was insistent because it gets pirty weird.
Speaker 2: We got to the end of this episode and I went to turn it off, and my husband's like, well, don't you want to see what happened? Like, don't you want to watch the next one and see what happens? I'm like, well, I do, but I cannot. I can only watch one at a time because otherwise my discussion will be very even more confused than it already is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I have to keep telling myself hit the button.
Speaker 2: Hit but turn it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I did accidentally start reading about the next episode when I was reading Unlost PDA about this episode. It's so easy to just hit the link, and I'm like, is this next episode the one where this thing happens that I remember when we saw Ethan last week? I thought, Okay, I remember Ethan and clear something is that going to be next week? Or I thought it was further away? But no, there he is. There is we Okay, stuff moves faster than I remembered it moving. The weirdness comes on a lot faster. I thought it was a little slower at the beginning for like the first season. But stuff is happening now that I thought was happening at the end of the season. Yeah, they're not wasting at any time.
Speaker 2: Well, just like the Polar Bear was in like episode two or whatever.
Speaker 1: I wanted you to know right away just what kind of show you were watching. So all the people who wanted it to be Survivor and don't want anything else could have left, and I hung on, you know, I've liked me in my time some weird TV.
Speaker 2: So you see John from Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about writing something for my substack about weird TV and you know, Twin Peaks and Fringe and Lost. But I'm thinking that John from Cincinnati is like the purest distillation of weird TV because they just got that one season to just run them off. And so they did, and they got in a whole Elostian six seasons of nonsense into one tight season. Right, Ain't easy man? Whatever else, you gotta respect that he ran so spectacularly off the rails in just like when HBO season of episodes. Right, So we tip our hat Lost is gonna Lost is taking its time, and yet it's off to a fast you can see. You can see how much room for weirdness there is by how quickly they're getting into it.
Speaker 2: Right, quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I always enjoy how people get upset about things and scared about things, and their solution is to run into the jungle. What are you people doing? Beach seems like a pretty safe and clearly visible place to be. You can see what's coming at you, right the caves. At least you have other people the jungle, running randomly through the jungle. That does not seem like a place of comfort to me. No, Although now Shannon is calling the.
Speaker 2: Caves, so she's calling them the rape case, and the whole place is craphole island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and yes, you know she's got a point. But lost, ladies and gentlemen, that is what you will feel quite a lot of the time while you were watching this thing. What wait, where? Why? When? What are you doing? Where did you come from? In terms of parenting, I mean, the whole thing is basically parenting. You're trying to protect your in this case, unborn child in a place where you cannot predict what is going on. Somebody is attacking you, somebody's you know. And then the whole adoption thing, you know, make sure before the birth mother comes in that all the pens work. This can be a very bad thing on. That's that's what tank the whole thing. The pens, yep, the pens. You know, just scribble on something with each one of them before you go. Right, although I suppose on this show you've got to say it was fate, right, the psychic went in there beforehand and empty.
Speaker 2: He was just scribbling, scribbling, scribbling, scribbling for hours.
Speaker 1: He just brought in some empty pins that he had around the house, seated the lawyer's office with.
Speaker 2: Him, and even the adoptive prospective mother's pen person. I believe it was the source of another pen.
Speaker 1: Oh man, as an adoptive parent, I'm watching that going. I know where this is going. And oh, honey, I'm so sorry. Right, oh, I wanted to get her wrong, and she was like, so, she was so nute. They didn't seem like they had seemed evil and creepy. The guy. The guy, maybe he didn't look like he was so sure about it, but the mom really wanted it right, and she.
Speaker 2: Was going to sing the song. She was very happy to assure Claire that she would do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel your babe, But honestly, probably just a well in this situation, he seld somebody who does not make a psychic afraid, right, And you know, Jack still being in his role of island Papa, yes, feeling responsibility for everybody's safety, you know, beating himself up for not believing somebody. You know, my kid came home complaining about something. I just told him it was nothing and ignore it. And it turns out it was something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out there appendix ruptured exactly where they're or they're also ruptured whatever.
Speaker 1: Oops oops, I guess that was sorry. So yeah, a powerlessness.
Speaker 2: And going back to Claire for a second. You know what kind of all the pressure of you need to raise this kid, like, yes, it needs to be influenced by your goodness, Like, oh no, that's that's.
Speaker 1: A lot to ask of somebody.
Speaker 2: We're all trying our best here, but like.
Speaker 1: No crush it at all. Unless he is influenced by your child's influenced by your goodness, evil things will happen, will happen. So don't ever raise your voice. Sweet, sweet loving lots of lullabies there. Yeah, you know it'll be fine, right, you seem nice. I'm sure you can do it. Yeah. I was wondering how old Clara is supposed to be. I think the actress was like twenty three.
Speaker 2: I feel it.
Speaker 1: Seemed in some scenes she seemed really young, yeah, and in others maybe a little older.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess I was assuming, like sort of very early twenties. Yeah, but she could be like nineteen or something, you know, she could be.
Speaker 1: I mean, in some tases it sort of. She was giving off kind of a teenage vibe. And yeah, some of the scenes and another's a little older. So on the island she looks older. Maybe the island ages you. It's another thing.
Speaker 2: Well, also on the island, and it's not gonna like that. Shannon's twenty. We know that now, age twenty address Crappol Island.
Speaker 1: Yes, ah, well, this has set up a lot of things that we will be looking forward to seeing, you know, advanced in the next episode, which has flashbacks for another person.
Speaker 2: So right, how's that gonna go?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a Jack episode, a Jack flashback. We get back again again. We're going around again. Who hasn't had one?
Speaker 2: We haven't had Hurley, we haven't had Shannon and Boone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true, we haven't had Michael. Right, Oh, we have a dad.
Speaker 2: We So it's not Jack's jumping the line.
Speaker 1: Jack's jumping the line. But it's Jack, it's Check. It's island Papa. You know he's got issues. This man's got issues, and I bet they all have to do with his dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, anyway, tell us the name of the episode and we'll we'll figure that out.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, in fact, season one Episode eleven of Lost is called All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues. So the show's just putting it front, like, Okay, we know you figured it out by now, but we're just gonna underline it with one of those pens that actually works, right. But oh, daddy, daddy, daddy. Anyway, so we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the Building, which I think has no daddy issues. Does it have any of the episodes had daddy issues?
Speaker 2: I don't think think so.
Speaker 1: It has old man issues. But anyway, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.