Speaker 1: Time now for Edmund O'Brien as.
Speaker 2: Yours truly, Johnny Dollars.
Speaker 1: Edmundon O'Brien and another of the adventures of the Man with an Action tact expense account America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 3: Expense Accounts submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dollars to home office Intercontinental Marine Insurance Company is Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of my expenditures during my assignment aboard the S. S. Melee Trader, the ship with no court of course expense account. Item won eighty dollars transportation from hospital to Savannah, Georgia.
Speaker 2: M Well after pausing only the grower.
Speaker 3: Dead and deck myself out in seamen's garb, I conceded to the local hiring hall of the Seamen's Union.
Speaker 4: VACAT and the.
Speaker 5: Rest see too.
Speaker 6: Standing for the Panamania times bound for reods now or least the mam on a nine am they call it for one baker, one category at one compident, two abies.
Speaker 2: The the rent w good, yes, yes, okay, alright, we'll put it all right through right away.
Speaker 3: Well, what is it? The name is Dollars. I'm signing on the Malee Trader Ordinary Streamen Special permit.
Speaker 7: Wa uh huh, don't let me seem uh oh yeah, yeah, here he is correct insurance deck. Huh. Well, I'm glad to cooperate.
Speaker 2: Though, thanks.
Speaker 3: Where do I find the ship? Period?
Speaker 7: The directions will all be here on your assignments slip? Uh what bef a hot cargle?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe when I find out, you can read about it in the paper.
Speaker 7: Okay, so you're not talking.
Speaker 2: That's your business. Here your slip.
Speaker 7: Now, the best way to get there is.
Speaker 2: To fallows the railroad tracks past the warehouse?
Speaker 3: Did right or my new home? When I found he looked neither pretentious, comfortable, or even seaworthy. She was a rusty old liberty ship that probably had a war record but hadn't had a coat of paint in months. Her winches fore and aft were busy feeding heavy ratand covered bales into a gaping holes. Her decks were alive with longshoremen, and set against all that activity, a bulky gent wearing an officer's cat lolled on a stool near the head of the gangway, idling time with fingernails and a pen knife.
Speaker 8: Yeah, butcher business.
Speaker 2: And signing on where do I find the chief out of it?
Speaker 3: He found the time hot stuff. Let me say useless uh uh yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh gokay, dol, you're on the uh forty eight watch quarters or three as fast thiutay, then I have started shot, got up here to sign later.
Speaker 3: Right, so far that fine story method seemed to be working. But was aboard the ship as a seaman, and a few seconds later I was shaking hands with a man who shared my quarters. Now wrote it on a salary for four years is Intercontinental's marine investigator?
Speaker 2: Go, I am, it's been a long time.
Speaker 3: How much I'm fine. I'm fine. It's gonna be working a basically again. They yeah, they're all right to talking here.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, let's keep it down. I've been on this substance that left Singapore and nobody's on to me yet.
Speaker 3: But play at.
Speaker 5: Cagy on deck. How much did I tell you in jolly old Hartford.
Speaker 3: Well, they gave me just the basic situation that uh, that Intercontinental ensue with a bunch of crude rubber from British melees before the devaluation of the British pound steerling half that I understand burned and a whams.
Speaker 5: In Singapore and that to the tune of over a hundred thousand insurance bucks. I flew out there signs of arson, but no proof. I followed the other half of the crop here at the Savannah.
Speaker 3: Ay Uh. This company that owns Maylee Traders kind of an outsit of it.
Speaker 5: They art Angels, been up against British customs a few times, never nailed. They own their ships and the branch here, headed by a mister Peela, imports basic commodities like the rubber and minerals. Well, the point is that since this crude was insured before the British p dropped, they can bring in more loot destroying it and they can filling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess that's a loose and I take it to policy covers until they do so, and that's it.
Speaker 5: I thought we were getting rid of it here. They packed it away in their warehouse, but then three days ago they started loading it aboard again. That's why you were sent down.
Speaker 3: What's the matter now? Don't you think the company trusts you?
Speaker 5: I guess they figure I need help and they're right. Where do you think we're bound? Jenny?
Speaker 3: Well, my papers at Corpus Christy and the scuttle.
Speaker 5: But is that corpus is just a stop that we clear there for Mexico Vera Cruz where arson investigation isn't what it could be after that operation in Singapore?
Speaker 3: What else would they do? Hold it.
Speaker 2: All up?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll stop hip articles during the company office corner of the wirehouse short sign them.
Speaker 2: Okay right away, sir.
Speaker 5: Nice tries there was Oh and uh, if you'll take a word of fatherly.
Speaker 3: Advice, well practically anything you saying, go ahead?
Speaker 5: That Uh that girl in the office, the Malaya and the half cast, she's the boss's daughter.
Speaker 3: Oh my am I is that her appreciation or is it her name? Both?
Speaker 5: But Savior dreams the chief our friend hall Staff is as possessive as he's big.
Speaker 9: And you know something, I don't blame him.
Speaker 3: I didn't blame the horse staff either. After I saw Am I you could tell she had enough accidental know how to be proud of what the Oriental did to her. Looks ah mine, indeed, good afternoon. Hello, I'm here to find the articles.
Speaker 6: I'm a Mainley treat Oh what please?
Speaker 1: Are your names?
Speaker 3: Dollar? Johnny Dollar?
Speaker 10: Dollar?
Speaker 6: Are you a very fifty man, mister Dollar?
Speaker 3: Well, hardly. My name is usually the only one I have to my name.
Speaker 4: H yes, and it's your rug here.
Speaker 6: I wish I was saving with you.
Speaker 3: What what did you say that I wish I was saving with you.
Speaker 6: I have begged with my father, but he will not let me go with him.
Speaker 3: Mm, your father's going with us? Huh.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that I would beg some more. Ah, once again, pleasing me right here? Hm, you have a nice sons, mister dollar.
Speaker 3: Nice hand. Now why'd you say that?
Speaker 6: I see so many hands here on my desk? No, I noticed that I'm a big and lumpy, them a short. I'm a dirty and in steward's departments some are clean from dish washing. But holleringly, let me see.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm read to get back to the ship. Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 6: We hope that conditions during your voyage will meet with your approval and that you will accept employment with Main.
Speaker 3: And with those memorized words ringing in my ear, I thanked the lushes am I again and proceeded ship was to take up my duties as a very ordinary seaman. I hope that her interest in my landlover hands really stem from her unusual hobby and not from suspicion, and I wondered why mister Peeler, her father, and the local head of the suspect company, had decided to go with us. Had his doctor ordered a sea voyage for his health or did he want to enjoy in person the odor of burning rubber. The next afternoon, Chicago had all been brought aboard, the ship was made ready to see, and I had sustained, along with multiple cuts and bruises, the ire of the bosom because I didn't know the difference between a preventer and a topping list. But by the time night fell and the melee trader was plunging down the Atlantic coast, I knew one thing. The sailor's life is not from me. How'd you make out? Al Well?
Speaker 5: Nothing new. Scuttle Butter is still very cruise. But there's something screwy about it. Johnny, you develop a nose after you've snooped as many ships as I have. There's something wrong aboard?
Speaker 3: What besides my seamanship? The old man, Yeah, a lot of little things.
Speaker 5: Of course, we're on for Florida straits or readings on a dollars gages. Of course, the displacement ratio changes with different oceans and water temperature.
Speaker 3: Look, look, I'll that's that's all Greek to me, valas gauge's displacement ratio. Just what are these things that about it?
Speaker 5: He said, Well, I don't know, just vague things that look come out on the four deck with me.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, shoot, it's probably just this.
Speaker 5: Over active nose of mine. But I wanna get a look in one of these holes. Now, there's a hand standing lookout in the bow, and if you'll go up there and keep his attention, I'll slip into the escape patch of number two. All I'll need is about ten minutes. I'll meet you in the cabin.
Speaker 3: I made small talk with the lookout but ten minutes, then started back towards the cabin. Suddenly I heard a scuffle behind me, A hell that you. Then I heard someone running and I started after the disappearing figure. But I didn't get very far. I stumbled over the al rode his body by the open hatch, and there was a stab wound in the back of his neck, just at the top of the spine. It was small enough to have been left there by us ten knight. I didn't report to the chief's mate or the captain. I went over both their heads and I counted on the door of the owner, mister Peter the pillar.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, yes, one moment.
Speaker 3: What is he?
Speaker 10: What does this mean?
Speaker 2: There's been a killing down on deck?
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 2: Chiling? My watchmate, al rode it?
Speaker 10: But these relieve he captain or mister Horst, where are they?
Speaker 1: Why do you come to me?
Speaker 3: Because because I think a request from you as an order, I think sparked order radio the coast Guard.
Speaker 2: The sooner the better.
Speaker 10: But the chilling on my ship to believe this you no, no, I do not.
Speaker 3: Help you, man over lord, mister Peeler. A murder has just been turned into an accident.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we returned to the second act of Johnny Dollar. But first, Kitty Callen will join Vornman Rose Caravan along most of these same CBS stations this Saturday night and on the CBS Gen Autry Show, The King of the Cowboys Will Bring You Ramona When the Bloom Is on the Sage and many another Western favorite, The Born Monroe Caravan and the Geen Outry Show are heard every Saturday night. Hear them tomorrow night in an hour of Top Pops and sage brush symphonies. Now with us are Edmund O'Brien. We returned to the second act of Yours proby Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 10: Mister Horsecas, mister Horsecaf, you sease come here until horsehuseynswer mit horse there has been.
Speaker 3: Tobal Yes, one of the crew all overboard.
Speaker 7: Then talk with this young man.
Speaker 2: He speaks of killing.
Speaker 3: Killy Chill Dollar. That's his gup about Kelly al Roder. He was stabbed in the back of the neck with a small knight.
Speaker 8: This man is either drunk or crazy, mister Piller. I just stepped out on deck to check the running lights before I turned in. I saw the man leaning over the rail. He was sick, approl and he went over have it go away.
Speaker 2: I guess that was a life jack right stun below that.
Speaker 3: Huh, what are you doing about the man overboard?
Speaker 8: I'll thank you to remember your place on the ship.
Speaker 2: I do, but I also remember how Roder doing what's.
Speaker 3: Prescribed by maritime law. I'm changing my court to circle and touch the area.
Speaker 8: How about the coast guy, so you not ifed in your time, I'll either go to your quarters or get forward to the rest of the crew.
Speaker 3: And look for this guy you're so worried about. Where are you going the radio rooms?
Speaker 2: Even I know the coast guard gets first. Did you listen to me?
Speaker 8: Dollar, I'll have you up before a commission board. You'll never ship again if you don't obey my order and the boilers. You better get to your lifeboat station.
Speaker 3: Mister Keeler. Every time an explosion lifted the Mela trader up off the water, lifted my stomach up with it.
Speaker 2: My heart must have.
Speaker 3: Been counting too, because I felt that high and my crop, and feeling that big sea going box of steel plates and boat shuddering up my feet, painted sweat on my forehead, and big sticky splashes of real fear on my shoes.
Speaker 2: This would be.
Speaker 3: Getting dead the hard way. But finally the quivering of a ship came to a stop, calming down my own vibrations, which have faded. Then the tub started to list, giving me a new reason for keeping my mind off of taking a cut at hallstaff with the closest fire at the crew got panic. Here's a bunch of kids in a burning school. And while I fumbled with a lifeboat, I took a last running look at number two holes there were still bloodstains on the decks where I found rots, and next to them, besides the open hatch, I found something that hall Staff hadn't realized he lost, or I hadn't had time to look for his pens pearl shell handles. With an anchor and Boston still, I'd pulled back the top further and moved a few of the sectional hatch colors and got a look into the hole. There was enough light to see the cargo it enough smoke curled out to tell me the explosion had not been in the boilers. Yeah. I had a fine case, except that it was going down under my feet and I'd end up with everything but proof.
Speaker 2: It was shortly after.
Speaker 3: Dawn when the melee trader finally settled by the bow and went into a final plunge. Everybody in the light boat turned and watched her grow. The water quieted over her, and the only traces left were the hatch colors. I'd pull them.
Speaker 2: There's a place missing as the uh they'll be uh uh yeah two ways, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, I keep it.
Speaker 7: Oh well, but thanks?
Speaker 6: Oh why are you.
Speaker 3: Page one and three, line twenty two Ship's articles. You remember dollar?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yes, what newspaper. He said, you're missing from the shipwreck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a guy'd have to be stupid or dead to be lost on a sinking like that. Everything was too convenient, plenty of time to get the boat lawns only four miles from sure paper stages. Yeah, they reported me missing because I didn't take time to report myself among the living. You see, I couldn't wait to get back to Savannah, get back to you and the king size scheme cooked up in this office. Now. I'm not promising anything, but a we signed statement might help you. I'll write a new sign.
Speaker 6: It you talk about skins, what statement is you?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: Come on, stop it.
Speaker 3: Look use the old sex pitch. Try to tell me that it'll be worth my while. But but don't try to sell me anything.
Speaker 2: Just gone it.
Speaker 6: You think I know about something, see give me what he means.
Speaker 3: Look, if you're a bluffing, you can quit. I know that explosion on the ship was stayed. Now the next step is to try to collect the insurance on the rubber that was lord, And that's the step I'm supposed to start. Yeah, is my id?
Speaker 5: She stuns.
Speaker 9: I not understand you are a police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a way in a way.
Speaker 3: I'm the police, and the real ones aren't far behind me, and you do not like me. Look, I wouldn't have any reasons.
Speaker 6: Seeks cruel. I knew nothing of body.
Speaker 3: I too do not lie. Well, why'd you think your father was taking this trip? I did not question, And.
Speaker 6: You're told me he had a business in Corpus Christians.
Speaker 3: Well, un horstop lied here The newspapers don't tell you why your father took a trip. Yeah, look at this importer and fleet on a narrowly escape death and explosion about his own ship? And who'd think of scuttling with the age of owner taking the risk himself?
Speaker 2: Huh starling.
Speaker 6: Three decent cor twenty in a few minutes. Two men you loved to come. Godn't discriming enough. I am only daughter. I not question my father. If he did this thing, he did it with reason.
Speaker 3: No, what did you have me to do? Oh? Or he stopped looking at me as if I started at all? I'm sorry, honestly I am. It was clear to me now that she wasn't buying to hide my embarrassment. I read through the newspaper accounts that the sinking again while she recovered.
Speaker 5: It, So.
Speaker 3: There were air photographs of the huge oils like the sinking ship had left on the surface. The only reminder now that the hatch covers had dwisted away. M The lack of wreckage was mentioned in the stories, and I remembered Al wrote a worrying about ballast and displacement. I looked up the number of a local kemmists and I made a phone call right at all, Listen, doc, this may sound like a silly question, but it could be important. This crude rubber float crude robbers?
Speaker 2: Do you mean by yeah, whatever you call it, the way it comes into the country wrapped in return? Will it float?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Spency? Gravity?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: I think ah, it decreases as the.
Speaker 1: Temperate your arise if you see normally, specially gravity is a little less than that the water.
Speaker 3: Yah, it would float, Yeah, it floats in the hole of a sunken chip with a hatch partly open, it would force its way out.
Speaker 2: And come to the surface. Yeah it floats, Yeah, but it didn't. Thanks am.
Speaker 3: I see how many warehouses as melee traders have here in Savanna when you get here on the water front. Huh was anything moved out of them? Last night? After the ship left.
Speaker 6: No, nothing was moved.
Speaker 3: Did I know?
Speaker 6: What does this mean?
Speaker 2: Am I?
Speaker 3: I want you to wait here in the office for your father. When he comes, I want you to tell him that I'll be waiting for him in one of the warehouses, and that I know the truth. The Melee Trader warehouses were closed to the day, but my foot and a window opened them. Both were stacked high with imported good and I picked my way through everything from leechy nuts to ivory backscratchers. And the second one, hidden behind a wall of cotton ceylon tea, I found what I was looking for. They were unlabeled wood crates. I opened one and the resilient mass inside was crude rubber, still on dry land and still insured.
Speaker 2: Alright, dollar old, it's old, white horse. That's there's nothing left the hole. Oh you made by that for me?
Speaker 3: Everything is finished, wound up. Time for the lore unless you can make another switch with that rubber before they get that rubber on the crate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, been here for over a year.
Speaker 3: I come on, let's not waste time. You and Peela and I know there wasn't any rubber in number two holes. You say that the seal after you got paid off for losing it, and I'll let the expert prove it.
Speaker 2: What excerper?
Speaker 3: Oh, they got all kinds.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: One group is gonna ail you for murder. That's very funny. H that's very funny. There's a pen knife a funny murder weapon. But I found one on the Malee trader on that deck me a number two holes.
Speaker 2: Oh you've got a pen knife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pearl handle and a silver ranks are on it. You know, I guess at least a hundred seamen would testify on the roAP that it's yours. I know I will. I only wish I could be fifteen people when you hit the court room, the jewelry, the prosecuting attorney, the star witness, and the sentencing judge. Or do you want to save me in the court room?
Speaker 2: How did they execute down here?
Speaker 3: Huh? Scallows, electric chair, gass chamber?
Speaker 1: What come on?
Speaker 3: Tell me?
Speaker 2: What do I have to look it up?
Speaker 3: After? I have more than I've got?
Speaker 2: They got plenty.
Speaker 3: All I have to do is match up the weapon with the wounds.
Speaker 2: Look dollar right on, scare rasy.
Speaker 3: I gotta make a confession and hold without a body. What do you mean without a body. I gotta have a body. Anyone knows that you're getting ahead of yourself out there. Did I say they didn't have a body? Huh? Do you think those coach Guard, helicopter and Blimm cruise are blind? It's gone? Do you think a guy who's been a marine investigator as long as our roader had went around without figuring how to do his job even after he was dead?
Speaker 2: What do you think he wore.
Speaker 3: Around his middle a money belt or a light belt that would keep him afloat? You're stupid, hose. Give me the knife dollar. It's not only a knife, it's exhibit A and the prosecution will want it.
Speaker 2: Give me the knife dollar. I'll kill you if I have.
Speaker 3: You don't want to shoot me horse hand? How do you know I've got the knife with me? H? How do you know I haven't left it someplace with a note to the police.
Speaker 2: That's still. I get your hands off from the side. Hold on that.
Speaker 3: All right? And I keep your hands still. I just turn around, don't move.
Speaker 2: It wasn't time for Queensberry rules, which toast me? I used my feet.
Speaker 3: The first one landed on his shin, and I stayed this to me. I throw forward on my hands and.
Speaker 2: Kicked out with.
Speaker 3: Two people into the solar plextist would have got an order on right hand, and after I gave him a couple more, the big chief mate turned into just that an ordinary man.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: I turned whole staff over to the police, along with the murder weapon and the results of my blood. They took it from there to a confession. Mister Peelo was clear of responsibility for our roader's murder. Is now being held on conspiracy to the fraud. I hope since the policy on the remaining cargo of rubber can now be canceled, Intercontinental is minimizing the monetary loss in Singapore for you. The loss is a little more than one hundred thousand dollars and an operas. I have lost a friend expense account item two sixty three dollars getting my foot on a bar and my chin off my chest while waiting for a train to take me out of Savannah Item three eighty dollars transportation Savannah at to hot had him four ten dollars. Public stenographer who took the dictation on this expense account, I had him five entertainments. Same public stenographers who spent the evening proving that socially she didn't take dictations, also that she was no good at making me forget what I want so badly to forget the take of Al Roder expense accounts, total skipp it. This one has done me. Yours Truly, Johnny Dollars.
Speaker 1: Yours Truly Johnny Dollars stars Edmund O'Brien in the title Roles and is written by Paul Dudley and Gil Dawes, with music by Late Stephens. Edmund O'Brien can currently be seen Starry and Harry M. Hopkins unit his artist production DA In our cast were Lillian Bias, Martin Yarborough, William Conrad, Elliott Reid, and Robert Griffin. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed by him del Baia.
Speaker 2: Join us again.
Speaker 1: Next week when Edmund O'Brien returns in another adventure.
Speaker 2: Of Truly Johnny Darla. The Case of the.
Speaker 1: Oblivious Angels, a true story of manhunt in Tennessee and Georgia, is to be dramatized on gang Busters this Saturday night. The story will have narration by the Chief of Police, who directed the successful search for the bandits. So for a power of real adventure as experienced by our forces combating crime. Listen in this Saturday and most of these same CBS Network stations to Gangbusters story the Case of the Oblivious Angels.
Speaker 2: This is Roy Rowland speaking.
Speaker 1: This is CBS where yours truly, Johnny Dollar meets adventure every Friday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System