Speaker 1: All right, all right, I don't I don't like to compare services. Right, They're like kids.
Speaker 2: You know you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't have your favorite, no favorites. But you are more awake. Sorry, ushers. Ushers are coming down the aisles Bibles, bulletin pens. It'll be super super helpful for you. As you turn to first John, turn to first John. Whoa First John?
Speaker 2: Cool? Okay, okay, uh yeah.
Speaker 1: If you need a Bible, bulletin or pen, they have that. They're happy to help you. Just range your hand, catch their eyes. They will love to just serve you in that way this morning. I also I want to say, if you haven't filled out a connection cart, oh.
Speaker 2: Have I introduced myself? My name is Richard.
Speaker 1: I thank you. I work here at Crossway. I'm one of the pastors here and.
Speaker 2: It is a joy to be here with you this morning.
Speaker 1: If you haven't filled out a connection card, please go ahead take just a minute to do that. We do want to know that you're here. We want to know that you're here by name. We want to know how we can be praying for you. There are the team of men and women who actually go through and pray for the connection cards. That are filled out. If you do leave a pray request, so please do that. If you're new, you can leave some contact information for you or even better than that, go to the Step one table after the service. It'll be a great time. It's like a small party every week at the Step one table. We have a great time, all right. So usually usually our practice is to kind of make our way passage by passage through a book of the Bible. This next book we're going to be in is First John. So we're going to do a three weeks on this. It'll be so much fun. And that's not the weird part. There is a weird part, and that is.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just let's call it unique.
Speaker 1: If you've read John, you understand that John he doesn't use words and sentences and structure the way that like Paul does. For example, Paul makes a lot of sense. John very hard to read. If you haven't heard it before, you'll see some of that. Essentially, what he likes to do is he will go he'll have a thought, he'll talk about that thought, and he'll be like, oh, and the next thought and they're not related. And then after he was talking about this thought, he's like, you know what, let's go back to this one. I got some more stuff to say about this, So we're not gonna be linear. I'm not just gonna be in one passage this week or the next two weeks after that. He loves commas, long sentences, just drawing out his stuff. That's why I think he and I get along so well. I would call it circular, but I like how the ESV Study Bible puts it. They said it has also been termed symphonic, and that he eight themes, moves away from them and then revisits them with variations.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm gonna start using that.
Speaker 1: When Liz and I are having a conversation and she doesn't understand what I'm saying, I'm gonna be like, oh, that's just because you don't understand my symphonic argument.
Speaker 2: You don't know anything about symphonies.
Speaker 1: So we will not go passages by passage, but we'll kind of pick up three big themes over the next three weeks. As Josh said last week, there will be plenty of grapes left on the vine of First John. I will not hit everything, but do look with me. Everything is going to center around First John five thirteen. First John five thirteen says, I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. Wrote these words to a church that was going through an unbelievable challenge. Some key people, right, some teachers, some leaders, some good friends had all left the church and kind of started started their own church. So think of it this as like a really bad church split. And to the people who remained, these people who left, they weren't just names on a list.
Speaker 2: They were church family.
Speaker 1: They had done life together, and they were grieved by the leaving of these people.
Speaker 2: And they were also confused.
Speaker 1: Because this other, this new church is now teaching what seems like a different gospel. They're they're teaching something different about Jesus is and and so they might be asking themselves, do I have the gospel wrong? Maybe like maybe I don't actually understand who Jesus is.
Speaker 2: Maybe they have it right.
Speaker 1: Well, John wanted them to know that they already knew the truth, that they had it in God's word, and that they that that they did not need to know anything beyond that that that that they could have confidence in their relationship with God. And their salvation, and this still applies to us today.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We we want to know, how can I be sure I'm saved?
Speaker 2: And and maybe that's you today.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're here thinking how how can I know? And if it's not you, maybe it's been you in the past, or maybe that that will be you in the future. Well, over the next three weeks, we're gonna look at what John has to say about how we can have confidence in knowing that we are saved. This week we will see that we can be assured we that we have eternal life when we have a right relationship with the truth. That we can be assured we have eternal life when we have a right relationship with the truth. John will in the next two weeks include a whole lot of looking at the fruit of our own lives. But I don't want to start there. And I think it's really important because when we're when we're talking about assurance of salvation, there's actually quite a bit about knowing that we have eternal life that has nothing to do with what we do right. It has to do with what God has done. It has everything to do with the life that we can find in the truth of the Gospel. And that's why I've named the sermon true Life in Truth. Now, since John connects our assurance of salvation to the truth symphonically, we are going to be in a couple different passages today, but I think a good representative passage is First John two twenty one to twenty seven. First John two twenty one to twenty seven. If you would turn with me there, that would be delightful. John says this in verse twenty one. I write to you not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, And because no lie is of the truth. Who is the liar? But he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. This is the Antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the son has the Father. Whoever confesses the son has the Father. Also, let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you have heard from the beginning abides in you, then you two will abide in the Son and in the Father.
Speaker 2: And this is the promise that he made to us eternal life.
Speaker 1: I write these scenes to you about those who are trying to deceive you, But the anointing that you receive from Him, that is the Holy Spirit abides in you, and you have no need that anyone else should teach you. But as his anointing, the Holy Spirit teaches you about everything and is true and is no lie, just as it has taught you.
Speaker 2: Abide in him.
Speaker 1: Would you pray with me, God, would you help us to know and love the truth of your word. Would you help us to receive assurance? Would your children receive assurance from your word today that we are in you.
Speaker 2: God, You are.
Speaker 1: The one who changes hearts. You are the one who works in our hearts. And so we ask for you to do that this morning, in each and every one of us.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: All right, this morning, we're going to look at We're going to explore three ways that the truth can give us assurance of our salvation. Three ways if we number one, if we know the truth, number two if we test the truth, and number three if we abide in the truth. Let's start with the first point, knowing the truth right. Knowing the truth helps give us assurance of our salvation. First John two twenty one says I write to you not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. It is so important for us to start here. One of the central claims of the Bible is that God has actually revealed himself who he is in this text of scripture. Though he is infinite, though he is eternal, it doesn't mean that he's unknowable. He actually has made himself known through his word. There is ultimate truth that we can be assured of. There is truth that we can know and put our trust in. John is convinced that the church already has the truth, that they already know it, and at this point they just need to stand firm in that. I think that's what John has for us today too. I want to be clear, there is a whole lot of truth that John kind of dips in and out of. So I'm going to try to synthesize this into kind of three big points, three big truths about Jesus that he wanted to emphasize. The first one, Jesus is God. Right, this is very important. Well, you need to be clear on this. Jesus is God. The deity of Jesus is one of those truths that John wanted to make sure he defended, make sure that the people stood firm in Jesus has eternally existed as the second member of the Trinity, along with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: Eighteen times in this letter.
Speaker 1: In first John, John refers to Jesus as the son or the son of God or the son Jesus Christ. And while Jesus was still one hundred percent God even after he was born in the flesh, this is important to say that that he was still God right. Jesus even showed some of his his character traits that that only God is right.
Speaker 2: He was. He was omnipotent. There's lots of omnies out there. He was he was.
Speaker 1: He was omnipotent. He showed this when he calmed the storm with a word, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: He did this when.
Speaker 1: He healed the sick, when he raised the dead. He was showing, yeah, I have the power to do these things. I'm I'm man, but I am God. He showed his his omniscience when he he knew the thoughts of those around him. I don't even know my own thoughts sometimes much less someone else's. And then at the end of the letter, John gives us this clear affirmation of Jesus being gone. One John five point twenty. It says, and we know that the Son of God has come and is get us understanding so that we may know him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his son, Jesus Christ, he is the true God and eternal life. That's a first big truth that John wants us to know. And then he also wants us to know that Jesus is man. Jesus is man, the humanity of God.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: At different points these things are under attack from different false teachings, but the false teacher specifically that John was talking about, we're actually denying that Jesus was a person, that Jesus had flesh, had skin and bones, that Jesus, although he had always been God, had always existed forever. I don't know how long that is, but that's a while. He was actually born in the flesh about two thousand years ago and became both fully God, which he always was, and added to that fully man. This wondrous mystery is known as the incarnation. Just like you and me, he was hungry, he was thirsty, he was tired. The God of the universe needed a nap.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: But unlike you and me, he lived a perfect sinless life. There was no thought, no deed, no word that came out of his mouth that was rude, that was out of place, that was out of line. He was perfect in all of his words, in all of his actions, in all of his deeds. One John four to two gives us this clear affirmation of his humanity as well. By this, you know the spirit of God. Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God. Again, very important God and man. And then the third big thing John wanted to make sure they knew jesus Us is savior. Jesus is savior, that he is the way to eternal life and salvation. One John four fourteen says, we have seen and testified that the Father has sent the son to be the savior of the world. And Jesus died as are as a substitute in the place of those who would put their trust in him. He took our sins upon himself and was punished for it so that he could give us his perfection and we could have eternal life, a real relationship with God. A couple of times in First John he uses this big word propitiation, which I don't know about you, but I've never heard outside of a church, right, I'm not just in the hub parking lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was thinking about propitiation the other day and what it's a big word. But we don't need to be scared of big words of people. Okay, we can do this. It's a very important word.
Speaker 1: It means that Jesus not only bore our wrath, he bore our sins. He satisfied God's wrath and actually moved us from being in a place of a place where we were under God's wrath to being under his favor.
Speaker 2: All of that is encompassed in.
Speaker 1: The word propitiation, and that's why it's so important. We're no longer under his wrath. Jesus is satisfied that and now we can be his children. All of this was made complete when Jesus rose from the dead on the third Day and is now with the Father, where one day he will return and set everything right. He will bring perfect, perfect justice. He will punish those who have sinned against him and then not trusted him for their salvation. And he will fulfill the promise that he made in One John two twenty five, bringing eternal life to those who have trusted in him. These big truths are just a quick summary of what John wanted to make sure that his people knew. And we want to make sure that you know this too, right. Jesus, life, death, and resurrection is the central part of the gospel. So if you're here today and you don't know these truths about Jesus, or if you have questions about them, please go to the Step one table after the service or men and women there who will want to talk to you about these things want to make sure that you understand them. They'll give you a Bible. We've got some books there as well to this one. What is the gospel?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: We want to be crystal clear. What is the gospel is knowable? And then who is Jesus again another big thing. If you don't have clarity on who Jesus was, this will really help you in that really good conversation.
Speaker 2: Partners.
Speaker 1: We want to help everyone here have a relationship with God based on the truth of who he is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: There is way more to trusting Christ than just knowing the truth. But we can't trust Christ without knowing the truth about who he is, and that includes those three big truths we.
Speaker 2: Just talked about.
Speaker 1: And putting these truths about the incarnation This is essential to having faith in him as he has revealed himself, and we can be assured that we have eternal life when we have a right relationship with the truth. I love my wife Liz. I will not apologize for this. I love so many things about her. She is godly, she is amazing, and if you don't know her, you should, really you should get to know her. I love that she just always wants to be the life of the party. She just she's so excited to just show up to everything. And I think her short blonde hair is stunning. And sometimes I just like stare at her in her deep blue eyes and just get lost like an ocean. And I love that she's so short. I tell her I joke with her. I'm like, You're like, like, you might keep growing at some point, but for right now, like you were just pocket sized. Now, what's a problem with what I just said. There's so many problems with what I just said.
Speaker 2: For some of you who.
Speaker 1: Don't know her, you're like, Okay, well, that's a guy who just gave a really weird description about his wife.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: But if you know Liz, then you know that the woman I just described is definitely not my wife. Now again, I don't. She is amazing, she is godly, So those things were true.
Speaker 2: But long brown.
Speaker 1: Hair, like very long, very brown, very hair, her eyes hazel not blue, okay, And she's like six foot tall and so be a big pocket. And if you don't know her, you could have been fooled by that, right, it just sounds it sounds good. But if you know her, if you spend time with her, then you saw right through that. And there were several there was so much laughter that I'm like, Okay, I think they're catching on.
Speaker 2: In the same way.
Speaker 1: I'd love to know how well do we know that the Jesus that we serve, the Jesus that we love. How much time do we spend getting to know his character, getting to know about him?
Speaker 2: Do we know his heart?
Speaker 1: Do we actually long to be in relationship with the God of the universe who has come to us so that we might know him. God has has given us his words so that so that we don't have to guess, so that we don't have to.
Speaker 2: Make stuff up.
Speaker 1: He tells us who he is, and so we can go to his word and see if if what we have lines up with with with.
Speaker 2: What is true about him?
Speaker 1: Now, if someone came up to you and started describing Jesus, but this Jesus kind of sounded a little off, right, didn't didn't sound like the Jesus that.
Speaker 2: We know here?
Speaker 1: Would would your spidy senses start going off? And this actually leads to our second point this morning, testing the truth right, Testing the truth helps give us assurance of our salvation.
Speaker 2: Now, remember what these people were going through.
Speaker 1: Well known teachers and leaders and friends leave the church and start preaching another gospel, start talking about another Jesus. And John is trying to bolster them up, trying to strengthen them and say, hey, you don't.
Speaker 2: Need to question whether you know the real Jesus. You do.
Speaker 1: John gives them a simple test here, he gives them a warning, and he gives them hope for the simple test. We see it a couple times, but let's reread it in first John two twenty two and twenty three, where he says who is a liar? But he who denies that Jesus is the Christ. This is the anti Christ. He who denies the father and the son. No one who denies the son has the father. Whoever confesses the son has the Father. Also, here is a huge test that we can actually still use today. What does someone say say about Jesus?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What does someone say about who Jesus is?
Speaker 2: Was he just a rabbi? Right?
Speaker 1: Was he just a guru? Was he just a good teacher who lived two thousand years ago? Was he merely a prophet and not God himself? Was he God the Father's greatest creation but not equal to the Father. Or was he someone that actually became God at his baptism or became God after he lived a good life. These are all pictures of what people believe about Jesus. But there is more to true theology than just Jesus. But man that has to be our starting point. See in John's day, there were a couple of false teachings that were kind of in the early stages of development. One group probably haven't heard of them called the Dosetists. I don't know what a doseetist is me neither until I studied dostists. These were people who said, well, Jesus only appeared to be in the flesh, like he just he seemed like he had a body, but he didn't really have a body. And this is why John goes through the pains of emphasizing not just that Jesus was God, but that Jesus came in the flesh, was skin and bones as well. Listen to Chapter four, verses one to three.
Speaker 2: Belove it.
Speaker 1: Do not believe every spirit, but test his spirits to see whether.
Speaker 2: They are from God.
Speaker 1: For many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the spirit of God. Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. Now there were another group of false teachers. You might have heard of them, called the Gnostics. They had a lot of theological problems, but two of them were addressed here by John. They said, number one, that God would never have a physical body.
Speaker 2: Right, that's too crude.
Speaker 1: The gnostics were all about escaping, escaping from the physical world. He wouldn't have entered into it. And then number two, God would never die to give salvation. That doesn't make sense, So they didn't think Jesus was the Christ who sacrificed himself for salvation. Salvation had to come through a secret knowledge that only they had, and since they didn't pass it on to me. I can't tell you what that secret knowledge was, but it was a secret, guys, was a secret And John couldn't have been clearer. They didn't need secret knowledge, they didn't need special knowledge. They already had the truth. All they needed was to stand firm in it. And so the test that John goes back to time and time again, how do people see Jesus when someone knocks at our door. We're not gonna get gnostics or doctists who are.
Speaker 2: Probably knocking at our door.
Speaker 1: But when someone presents you with a wrong picture of Jesus, can you identify it or can you smell it out? Now? What about the warnings? What about the warnings that John gives? Well three times in this book, John cols the's false teachers anti christs. Now you hear antichrist, and you're thinking, like capital a antichrist.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this is not that.
Speaker 1: Instead John is saying, actually, there have been many Antichrists. There have been many who have set themselves up against Jesus.
Speaker 2: That's all. It means.
Speaker 1: Some of the people had left the church because they were deceived, that is true. But there were some, as we read in two twenty six that John was warning, Hey, there are false teachers. Are there are false prophets out here who were actively trying to lead God's people away from the truth. Sometimes you'll get a knock on your door and you know it's bad theology. Awne's easy. But just like Josh brought up last week, often when this gets brought up, God's not addressing errors out there and what they believe, but he's actually talking to Christians about what we believe. On its face, it might just look like a minor doctrinal disagreement. It might just look like, oh, this is just a variation of what you already know in love. This is not a different religion, this is not a different belief system. In fact, that's one of the tricky parts is sometimes they'll use the same words, oh yeah, hey, I believe in Jesus too, and then you talk to them and you're like the Jesus that you're talking about, it's nothing like the Jesus presented in the Bible. They'll use words like salvation and grace and they'll say, hey, I love those words too, But again, I'm gonna define it differently, and I'm actually gonna change what it means entirely. This is suddenly a different religion altogether. And this is why, in the wise words of mister Alistair Moody, we.
Speaker 2: Need constant vigilance.
Speaker 1: And if we are taking the warning from John seriously, it could even be someone within this own church, like within our own church. Body, Now, don't start looking around this room. Don't eyeball the guy in small group next week and be.
Speaker 2: Like, are you a false teacher?
Speaker 1: No, But just like God's word said through Jude last week, the Bible is the rule for which we contest truth. So when we do hear something that seems a little bit off, we can compare it and see how it lines up with scripture. If something is sounds a little off, take it there and don't be afraid to go to your pastors, to your elders.
Speaker 2: This is what we're here for.
Speaker 1: We want to help you walk through navigate these questions because we do understand there are some complicated ones out there, so please come to us. One of the things that we love is helping teaching and understanding right doctrine. I will let you into my brain for just a second. It's a scary place to be, but I'll let you in. It's really uncomfortable for me to talk about false teachers.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just me.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because I want to give people the benefit of the doubt. You know, be like, oh, I'm sorry, I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying, but we need to see that actually, this warning is still for us here today. Did you know that there are over two point six four billion people on this planet who self identify as a Christian. One out of every three people on Earth says, yeah, I'm a Christian. They don't have to prove anything to say that, they just say those words. In America, two out of every three people claim to be Christian. I don't mean for you to challenge the salvation of everyone who says they're a Christian and who you come in contact with. That would be the wrong application of this. But what we do need to recognize is that there are false teachers, That there are people who, like Jesus said, are out there to help, who want to hurt Christians who are, and who are actually out there to deceive us. Do you know how easy it is today to take your phone record a crazy idea about God. They're like, oh, I just had this thought, let me record it. Post it to the internet. Now it's on YouTube, and now you can gain of following. It is so easy to do that. It's not me saying YouTube is awful and from the devil dude again that don't hear that There are lots of good resources on the internet for Christians right. There are Christians who want to be there out there helping you praise God. All I'm asking is for us to recognize that not everyone who claims to be a Christian online on YouTube is actually out there for your sanctification. There are some out there who are trying to deceive you. In Matthew seven fifteen, Jesus talks about false teachers who are wolves in sheep's clothing. Right, they look like they're one of us, but they are not.
Speaker 2: They are wolves.
Speaker 1: When Paul leaves the Ephesian Elders in Acts twenty, he warns them.
Speaker 2: He says there will.
Speaker 1: Be men from actually within the church who will show themselves to be wolves, show themselves to be false teachers.
Speaker 2: Peter and Paul multiple times in their letters.
Speaker 1: Warn about false teachers seeking to deceive God's people. And then we have this in One John to eighteen and nineteen children, which again think of John. Everything he says in this letter to his church is very it's loving. He's saying this as a term of someone who loves him, but someone who loves them. Says, children, it is the last hour. And as you have heard that Antichrist is coming, so now many anti Christs have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us. For if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out that it might become plain that they are not of us. Now, praise God that no one is beyond his grace that false teachers can repent, can turn from their bad theology and be forgiven. Jesus could died for their sins as well. But we also need to recognize that when someone abandons the truth of scripture, the truth of Jesus and his gospel, it it's a sign that they were never actually true to God's word. To begin with, John makes it clear in those verses they went out from us. Right, they were among us. They went out from us, but they were never of us. And actually it shows that they hadn't been true to God the whole time. Pastor John Stott said this in his commentary on First John. He said their departure was there unmasking what is Counterfeit cannot remain forever hidden. And then he quotes Luke twelve two when he says, there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. But John, the writer of the Gospel, also gives the church hope after this warning, and John Stott continues on. He says, he who stands firm to.
Speaker 2: The end will be saved.
Speaker 1: Not because salvation is the reward of endurance, but because endurance is the hallmark of the saved. After talking about testing the spirit, John gives him this hope. In First John four four he says, little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. There will be false teachers. They will teach damning heresy. Their own actions will prove that they were never children of God. But if we first if we know the truth, and second, if we test the truth, we can have confidence in our salvation. We can have confidence that God is more powerful than these false teachers. And isn't that what First John is about? Think back to first John five thirteen. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.
Speaker 2: Praise God.
Speaker 1: There's one last element that John brings up here, zero point three abiding in the truth.
Speaker 2: Abiding in the truth.
Speaker 1: Abiding in the truth helps give us assurance of our salvation. I don't know if I can prove what I'm about to say, but I'm gonna say I wonder if abide is one of John's faithavorite words.
Speaker 2: That's a big claim. It's a big claim.
Speaker 1: Probably not something I maybe could start a YouTube channel about that, but.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't. I'm just kidding. I will not do that.
Speaker 1: But think about it this way, John, about half of the of all the times that the word abide is used in the New Testament, it's used by John. And then on top of that, again, this is just a normal word, right, It means to remain or to stay right. She remained there three days, he stayed with Zechias.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That word that just that's the word abide, which that's how everyone uses it. But he also has another sense in which he uses it, like how he uses it here when he's talking about our relationship with God. Turned to First John four thirteen for this final section. Let's see what John wants us to see about what it means for us to abide in the truth. In verse thirteen, John says, by this we know right this, we can can see that. Or actually, in another translation, here is the proof that we abide in Him and he in us, because He has given of us his spirit. Now, before we move on, I want us to actually recognize that John talks about the Holy Spirit within us is actually part of what part of the proof that John gives it we are actually abiding in God. Too often Christians think about the Holy Spirit in dwelling us and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, that's cool, that's cool.
Speaker 1: That's how it's always been since I've been saved. So this is normal, right, there's nothing spectacular about it. We take it for granted. But if we actually look at the Old Testament, we'll see that this was not always the case.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They didn't have the endwelling of the Holy Spirit. We see this in Deuteronomy twenty Moses is recounting to them everything a very brief list of what.
Speaker 2: God had done for the.
Speaker 1: People of Israel for forty years, and then in verse four, he says this, but to this day, the Lord has not given you a heart to understand, or eyes to see, or ears to hear. They literally didn't have the heart to understand and obey what God had for them. But then as we as we move through the Old Testament, as we move forward, we see a glimpse of what God would give in the future to believers in Ezekiel thirty six twenty six. In twenty seven, Ezekiel prophesies about what Israel could have only dreamt of. In twenty six, it says.
Speaker 2: And I this is God. I will give you a new heart.
Speaker 1: And in a new spirit I will put within you. I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. Now, for Ezekiel, this was the future. But for us this is the past. Like this is history. Now, Jesus had come, and Jesus had promised, Hey, when I leave, I will give you my helper. I will give you a helper who will be with you. And then in Acts two we get to see the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles, and now all believers.
Speaker 2: Everyone who has put.
Speaker 1: Their faith in Christ has God living inside them. What an amazing blessing. We take it for granted, but we see it as commonplace. But like this is extraordinary. And part of our abiding in the truth is not even about us, right, It's about do you have the Holy Spirit within you? It's about the power of what God has done, putting his Spirit in us so that we are capable of even being obedient. Through His Spirit living in us. Our abiding in the truth is God enabled and God powered. By this, we know that we abide in Him and he in us because He has given us of his spirit. Let's move on to verses fourteen and fifteen. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his son to be the savior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him and he in God. Here we see again that knowing the truth, that the right confession of who Jesus actually is, will lead to abiding in the truth. I want to again draw your attention to what John Stott said earlier. He who stands firm to the end will be saved, not because salvation is the reward of endurance, but because endurance is the hallmark of the saved.
Speaker 2: That is what abiding looks like.
Speaker 1: In a few minutes, we're gonna close the service by singing, Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery. And I want us to truly behold that song as we sing it together.
Speaker 2: Think about how beautiful those verses are.
Speaker 1: In each of the four verses they sing, We're gonna sing about a different aspect of Jesus. Jesus's life. We're gonna sing about his birth, then about his perfect life, then about his crucifixion, and then in the final verse, we will sing about his resurrection. This is glorious truth that is meant to shape our lives verse sixteen. So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is Love, and whoever abides in Love abides in God, and God abides in him. John wrote first John because he wanted to give the church assurance of their salvation that there was truth, and having a right relationship with the truth would give them the assurance that they needed truth that they could know, and he pointed them to Jesus God in the flesh who came to save us.
Speaker 2: Truth that they could test.
Speaker 1: And he pointed them not to special knowledge, but instead to God's word, truth they could abide in. And he pointed them to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit within us, truth that they could find life in. He didn't point them to themselves. He pointed them here in four sixteen. He pointed them to the perfect and eternal love of the Father.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: We'll have more to say about our assurance of salvation here in the next two weeks as we look at kind of the fruit of our lives. But we couldn't start there with our actions, because fundamentally, our salvation is not because of our actions. It was God's love for us while we were still sinners. It was him pursuing us when we had rebelled against him. It was him making us alive when we were dead in our sins. For all these reasons, why would we look to our own actions as the primary reason for our assurance of our salvation. I've already talked about these two books that will have the table, but we're gonna have a couple more at the Step one table after the service. This one. How can I be sure I'm saved, very small, very helpful, helpful in us thinking, and then a few copies of this. This is assured by Greg Gilbert early on in the book. He says this, There's no such thing as a good or acceptable faith, only a good or acceptable object of faith. The value of your faith isn't in the faith itself, it's in what that faith is trusting. Would God give us assurance that though our faith in the truth may be imperfect, what is perfect is the object of our faith, Jesus Christ, and that is that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Would you stand and pray with me.