Speaker 1: Let's pick it up with a friend of mine, A good friend of mine, Kirk Gibson, one of the greatest players in Tiger's history and one of the guys who does a hell of a job as an analyst. I loved working with him and I love listening to him to this day. I don't know if there's anybody who prepares better than Kirk Gibson. He joins us here on Axis and Bros. Hi Gibby, good morning to you. I hope you and a family are great. What's your take so far on where the Tigers are at at four games under five hundred.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they've made some improvement. They've been estimated by injuries. They've had some good development come up through the systems, coming more coming from behind. I think they're kind of improving to the point where they're going to get ready to go for it. You know, they got the trade deadline here today. I absolutely would create Terry Spoogl. He's everything that you when you draft the kid, you put him through your system and you developed. He's a perfect example and he's got a personality with you and I both took for But we're looking for players, so I hope of that that he even being considered. However, you know, and other teams offer something that could be exciting, it could make sense, but I don't see that happening.
Speaker 1: You went through this as a player, you went through it as a as manager of the year two and it's such an in unison with Kevin Towers and other members of the front office where you worked. What's what's trade deadline like? As a player and as the guy who's trying to keep a team together like a J. Hinch is trying to do with his clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as the player, it can act as a downer, you can act as something exciting. I mean, if you look at all the trades that have been made in trade deadline over the years, it's it's pretty hard to have a great match. However, and it does influence the team. As a manager, you want to go. I mean, there's there's you got your manager's hat on, because really you're trying to keep your team going, keep them up, keep grinding, because in my book, you just never know. You can't listen to everybody say you don't have a chance. They told us that two thousand eleven. What was with Arizona? And if you can be your own expert. Believe in yourself. You know, I just would never give to the end. There's business decisions that have to be made if they do projections. You know, if you do keep Eric Scoobel, you're gonna have to pay him in the in two years for sure. So that might influence Well, you can't and can't do today, so you can. It's uh going to give you a kind of a funny little thing right now. With social media, incredible the information that gets out gets out quickly. Over ten years ago, we were in that we were in the road and we were having conversations and we were finding that they were in the social media almost immediately. So we started looking at everybody in the room, who's area at the front office and the coach, some of the coaches and guys it. So we I said, well let's throw it like a dummy roomor out there. So we threw the dummy room out there and we told just a couple of guys we had an idea who it was, and uh, sure enough it came out it was falved And you know, who's the who's the who's the s who was squealing?
Speaker 1: Who's that.
Speaker 2: The owner? Who is the owner who was doing it, So we gotta for whatever reason, he had his own thought. These guys have their their buddies that they that they give a little information to. Yeah, that was pretty funny. We we said, yeah, you know, it shouldn't help it anything. Did not end up getting anything of that trade deadline the rest of history.
Speaker 1: Hey, would you would you trade what would you need for Jack Flarity if you traded him?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this is me, It's not my money. I'm not making those decisions. I wouldn't trade him outside you if I could. Uh, And they may very well have talked to him about that, because if you look at Clarity and scoobl As, you're wanted to starting pitcher, the resources look good. Is coming around? Uh, Fanning still in the fal leagues. You do have pretty solid start to starting staff. And I I like that way. You know, you got some players that looks like Caper Cole Keith, I mean, he's he was in the minor leagues last year, had a great Offseaton signed a doctor. Patrick struggled early and how by he developed, you know, and they again, I think that the Tigers are doing a better job of developing their youth. Yeah, the minor leagues that they had in the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give Ryan Garko a lot of credit. Yeah, right, Ryan Garkos did a nice job. Hey, last thing before I let you go, and I appreciate the time we were talking about the lines changing their culture. It's such a key buzz phrase in sports. You did that in Arizona. What's the most important thing in changing a culture for any franchise in any sport.
Speaker 2: That you got to get him to buy in? Uh from? But I saw last last year that the day that culture was changed was when Dan Campbell, all the men about the path, gave that speech about how he cared for him. You know, hey, I don't want to do it, but you got to do it. And he laid it out. He laid it out real clearly why I had to do it. And they, you know, they started to catch fire after after that speech, and I think it really resonated with him because they knew he cared about them. They believed in him, and he's done a great job and they they're gonna have of it this year, but they're up to it, excited.
Speaker 1: To patch you. That's great stuff. You change that culture in Arizona helped change here in Detroit as well. Great stuff as always, Mission, my friend, Keep up the great work. Love listening to you and and the broadcast. We'll talk soon, I hope. Okay, that was good.
Speaker 2: Get that gossiping going