Speaker 1: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, oh, I have that.
Speaker 1: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 3: I had that insect story I wanted to tell you more about. Remember the insect with the most painful bite?
Speaker 1: Yes? I thought we kind of ran through that whole thing, didn't we? Was there more to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, we kind of did.
Speaker 3: It feels like three inch nails stuck in your in your foot foot while you're walking through fire on coals.
Speaker 1: Did you ever step on a nail? No? I have twice.
Speaker 2: Really do you have tetanus?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I don't. Yeah, but twice I stepped on a nail. And once I stepped on an empty broken beer bottle at my little league field.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, your parents don't seem to have the house that would be littered with broken beer bottles.
Speaker 4: No rusty nails, yes, but not the broken beer. So how big were the nails?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: There's probably what is that three inch nail? Something like?
Speaker 2: How old were you?
Speaker 4: It was five six seven somewhere in that area. Oh my god, A little bit older than that when I hit that, When I hit the beer bottle.
Speaker 2: A three inch nail into your little foot.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't.
Speaker 4: It didn't go all the way in, but it went in. A three inch nail would go all the way through my foot. Yeah, so but no, it went in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it hurts. It hurts a lot.
Speaker 3: And your parents did they say, just reb a little dirt on it and patch it up.
Speaker 1: Did they care that I was stepping on nails?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? I was hoped.
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 1: In fact, they were like, go out there and get a couple more.
Speaker 2: Right, let's build up your immune system.
Speaker 1: Let's see how you do with that nous. No, okay.
Speaker 4: So here's the big story today, science wise, there is an atmosphere around a distant planet that shows signs of molecules that on Earth are only associated with life forms with biological activity.
Speaker 1: We do not know much. We don't know if.
Speaker 4: There is life or if there is biological activity on this planet, but we know that it is a possibility. If you check out get past all the comics and the letters to the editor and the Astrophysical Journal letters, there is an article there that says the authors have found the best evidence to date of a possible biosignature on a planet that is far from our solar See what kind.
Speaker 3: Of signature are we talking about animals people? No, I guess they're the same. No, No, not that. Okay, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Specifically, the molecule that they say they have detected is dimethyl sulfide ahha, and that methyl sulfide on Earth is produced by the decay of marine phitoplankton and other microbes.
Speaker 1: But it has no other known sorls.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I smelled last week in Huntington Beach.
Speaker 3: That's the diaculfi when that whale washed ashore.
Speaker 4: So the astronomers say they want to observe this planet further. It's known as K two eighteen B to strengthen evidence that that it has water in fact present, So.
Speaker 2: It has water so you can live there.
Speaker 1: They think it does.
Speaker 3: Well, how else would you explain the chemical that comes from the decay of marine phidoplankton without there being a water source.
Speaker 4: I have no idea there. I also don't know what goes on on other planets.
Speaker 2: There's no marine without water.
Speaker 1: On Earth, there's no marine without water.
Speaker 3: You think, what do you think these marine I don't know. What do you they're swimming in sand?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I think you're like in beetlejuice.
Speaker 4: You're a little arrogant about your own knowledge about what goes on other planets.
Speaker 1: You don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I will die on the hill that says the decay of marine phytoplankton is a definite sign of.
Speaker 1: Water on Earth.
Speaker 4: But what if the dimethyl sulfide comes from dirt on that planet? Oh?
Speaker 2: I see, I see.
Speaker 3: So it's something else that would result in the same chemical that we get from.
Speaker 4: The marine phytal plankton, right, got it? Okay, so there you're saying, But they do. They are running on the same assumptions. They're saying. Listen, if what we know of on Earth, if all of the scientific properties that we rely on here on Earth exists and can be counted on in other places, then yes, maybe there is marine life.
Speaker 3: Well, I certainly rely on this show to bring me all of the analysis when it comes to dimethyl sulfide and where the hell it comes from?
Speaker 2: And we are where else you would go for that?
Speaker 4: We are your marine phytoplankton, another microbe show of record, right we are. So I don't know why anybody would go anywhere else.
Speaker 3: Seven federal workers who abruptly lost their jobs in recent weeks, are really stretching to make us care.
Speaker 2: I do care about people who have lost their jobs.
Speaker 1: That sucks.
Speaker 3: That can be true as well as there's a lot of bloat in the federal government. Both can be true, but it's so transparent sometimes when people try to really make you care about them losing their jobs, like, for instance, seven federal workers who lost their jobs recently say they're worried that thousands of biological samples from human urine to frozen rodent organs may be left to rot in a government lab in West Virginia that without us restoring their employment, these samples of urine and frozen rodents will go to waste. Like I am not hearing that and then calling up my congress person to say, we've got to do something. I mean, if you heard the latest about these federal workers getting laid off, now we're going to have urine go to waste. Now there's just gonna be frozen rodents that just they're going to be thrown out.
Speaker 2: Can you believe this?
Speaker 3: We have to do something like this isn't the right This isn't the right tree to climb up of on.
Speaker 1: Such a funny it's just the image of the they just leave. Who cares?
Speaker 2: Who cares about these things?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there's studies.
Speaker 4: Their argument is that the studies that are involved with these samples and animals need to continue, and if you don't have the samples and animals, they can't continue the studies.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's their study on?
Speaker 3: Because I've read more than I wanted to read through this article and wired and if there's a study that is on health or can give us some sort of leg up when it comes to curing things, cool, put that in the beginning, because all I've got is frozen urine and rodents that you're worried about with no math shown on what they provide when it comes to medical answer.
Speaker 1: What they're doing.
Speaker 4: So, the researchers at this Morgantown facility say they've been studying how Gulf War soldiers were affected by mustard gas, how pregnant workers have been affected by exposure to pfast chemicals, or how manufacturing workers contract lung fibrosis silicosis specifically after inhaling nanoparticles from things like making countertops.
Speaker 2: Common sense to me, But.
Speaker 4: A team of researchers has developed a living building material composed of of fungal, micellium, and bacterial cells that are capable of self repairing. They set Unlike conventional construction materials like I don't know, cement or concrete, this bio based composite is viable for weeks. That opens new possibilities for regenerative architecture, like a concrete a building that would be able to repair itself right now. They say, mint is responsible for about eight percent of global CO two emissions. They believe this innovation could pave the way for sustainable and adaptive building symptom systems. By producing this material at low temperatures, relying on living cells, they could be a groundbreaking solution.
Speaker 1: For them when it comes to the construction industry.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've got a meteor shower right in time for John's show. Yes, this was a John and Ken special meteor showers. They used to get together and watch these, but on a cloudy day like today. The Lyrid meteor Shower, one of the oldest annual meteor showers known to humankind, will grace the earth sky beginning this week. They will come into view and last through April twenty fifth. Leary Lyrids, like all meteor showers, the flying trails of debris left behind by comets.
Speaker 4: That'll be exciting well, and you don't have to sell it to me. I'm already going to be out there with the telescope looking at the clouds.