Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report. Hey, everybody. Welcome to the Jim Acosta Show.
Speaker 2: It is another day that ends in Y in Donald Trump's assault on American democracy. The latest example just in from the New York Times, agents are scouring voter rolls in this country right now managed by the state's and are using personally identifiable information about individual voters, such as their dates of birth and partial Social Security numbers, to look them up on those voter rolls, according to these documents obtained by The New York Times. Trump is doing this despite the fact that there is no widespread voter fraud.
Speaker 1: In this country.
Speaker 2: It's never been found. He's never proven it. And he and his party are facing a blowout in the midterms. Folks, we had intended to bring to you former special White House counsel Ty Cobb, talk about this. But in a few moments, we're going to have Liz Oyer, the former pardon attorney at the Justice Department, hop on. So she'll be with us in just a few minutes from now. If we can get Ty on, we will. But we had some technical issues, and I didn't want to get on too late today because, to me, this bombshell report in The New York Times is really worth talking about.
Speaker 1: Just stand by one second.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let me just tell you what's in this New York Times story. This just came out a few moments ago, and it's very alarming. Basically, this is what they're reporting right now.
Speaker 1: Let's see here.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of federal agents from the Department of Homeland Security have been assigned to an intensive weeks-long hunt for non-citizens among the nation's registered voters despite an absence of widespread voter fraud. According to documents and training videos reviewed by The New York Times, agents are scouring voter rolls managed by the states and are using personally identifiable information about those individual voters. I just mentioned that a few moments ago.
Speaker 1: Get this, though.
Speaker 2: In some cases, they're saying investigators are effectively posing as individual voters by plugging their names and personal information into public facing websites run by the top election official in each state. Some of these sites declare they are meant for individual use, potentially raising privacy concerns. This is the New York Times describing it this way. The extraordinary operation reveals the extent to which the Trump administration is searching for evidence of voter fraud ahead of the November elections. The government is privately calling the effort the unlawful voter initiative and is pulling agents from their normal duties, which include investigating such serious crimes as human trafficking and terrorism. Folks, you know, I Again, we're going to have hopefully a legal expert joining us here in just a moment. Might be Tycott, might.
Speaker 1: Be Liz Hoyer.
Speaker 2: I bring this up because as I've been reporting on this show for weeks now, if not months, this is not an if. This is a when Donald Trump is attempting to steal the midterms, rig the midterms, intervene in the midterms, whatever phrase you want to use. And that when is right now. He is doing this right now.
Speaker 1: He is using the federal government to.
Speaker 2: go on a fishing expedition right now, despite the fact that his government in the previous administration went on a fishing expedition for voter fraud, did not find it, tried to do something like this around the 2020 election when his own government was attempting to find whether there had been any widespread voter fraud. His attorney general at that time, Bill Barr, told him there was no widespread voter fraud, that it was all, quote, bullshit. And so, again, Donald Trump is facing accountability in this country. He is facing a massive midterm blowout because the Democrats are favored just about everywhere.
Speaker 1: Under the sun these days.
Speaker 2: And he and his administration and people like Mark Wayne Mullen, the Department of Homeland Security secretary, I guess, are going to do everything that they can by hook or by crook to intervene in these elections. And so this I mean, this is a big bombshell story in The New York Times. That is breaking right now about our midterm elections. This comes on the heels, of course, of Donald Trump trying to use the Postal Service to take control of the voter rolls in this country. And there's been a legal battle over that. He's been told not to have the Postal Service intervene. That has gone back and forth in the courts. I believe we have Liz Oyer jumping on now. And Liz is the former partner attorney over at the Department of Justice. Liz, it's great to see you.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jim. Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Good to see you as well.
Speaker 2: And, you know, I typically warm up the guests before we come on and say, hey, we're going to talk about this. But I don't know if you were listening to what I was just reading from The New York Times. But there seems to be just one day after another, one story after another of Donald Trump attempting to intervene or meddle in these midterms, whatever you want to call it. You know, I characterize it in much more strident terms. But the latest story, this is in The New York Times. It just came out in the last 45 minutes. Trump administration begins blitz to find elusive voter fraud ahead of the midterms. And it talks about how Department of Homeland Security agents have been going through state voter rolls and using personally identifiable information about voters to try to find voter fraud using dates of birth, partial Social Security numbers and so on. Liz, your response to this, I know it's fresh and everything and we're all going to be diving into this, but it's yet another example that I think people should be very worried about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not legitimate. This is not a legitimate investigation of voter fraud. This is an attempt to sow doubt that the administration is trying to plant seeds of doubt about the legitimacy of our elections so that if they don't turn out how the president wants, he can claim that they're illegitimate. That is what this is all about. The stuff with mail-in voting is to give people doubts about whether they'll be able to vote by mail, maybe keep people home from voting. I mean, it's all tied together as part of an intentional strategy to confuse Americans about how to vote, when to vote, whether our elections are fair, whether our voting machines work properly. I mean, the level of things that are being examined is absolutely ridiculous. And Justice Department employees are doing really what is the opposite of their jobs during normal times. Poll monitors are being sent out. We heard about poll monitors that were sent out about a week ago, and even a Republican governor rebuffed them because it seemed like the Justice Department sent these people there to create confusion and to interfere with state election processes, not for any legitimate purpose of trying to protect and preserve the fairness and integrity of our elections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was Wyoming, right? I think that was last week.
Speaker 2: The Wyoming governor, Republican there, said that he thought that the Justice Department monitors that were sent to his state were being too aggressive. And I'm thinking to myself, what are Justice Department monitors doing in Wyoming to begin with? What elections do they have to worry about in Wyoming?
Speaker 1: It's really... wild stuff.
Speaker 2: And typically you would think that the Justice Department would be consulted with on this DHS thing that they're doing. I mean, I'm just looking at, you know, some of the details of this. And again, it's, it's, you know, right out of a New York Times story that just came out minutes ago. Investigators posing as individual voters by plugging their names and personal information into public facing websites run by the top election official in each state. Some of these sites declare they are meant for individual use reasons. potentially raising privacy concerns. I don't know whose personal information that they're using to go into these databases, Liz, but that sounds suspicious too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're trying to tamper with elections and see if they can make anything work so that they can claim that there's some fraud that we should be worried about. They're trying to create problems that do not exist. They are trying to plant the problems now so that later they can claim that the election was rigged or it was unfair, or they can try to give some credence to these tired claims that Donald Trump makes about election outcomes that he doesn't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I, you know, Liz, I mean, what is ultimately the path here? I guess pro-democracy forces can try to take the Department of Homeland Security to court.
Speaker 1: Democrats could try to take.
Speaker 2: DHS to court and see if a judge, it's almost like whack-a-mole You know, they've been trying to do this with the voting by mail. And there was a New York Times story just the other day where a whistle, I think a whistleblower had come out and talked about how they're not comfortable with the way the Postal Service is trying to rush this executive order that Donald Trump is, you know, I mean, it's not a legitimate executive order, but they're trying to implement it.
Speaker 1: And, you know, that sounds, I think.
Speaker 2: Crazy to a lot of people, too, that the Postal Service would even be involved in the elections. You know, they're just supposed to send the mail, send me my ballot in the mail, send me my.
Speaker 1: Electric bill in the mail. That's what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: They're not voting or election experts. And apparently some whistleblowers said there was a problem with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, getting the Postal Service involved, like you only do that if you actually want to create a new problem that doesn't already exist. There is no reason for that. There's no legitimate reason for that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: What's so chilling about this, Jim, is that the Justice Department is the agency that should be protecting the integrity of our elections. And instead, they are on the inside trying to poke holes in electoral processes that are working just fine. They're trying to sow doubt. They're working against the fairness and integrity of our elections. They're the ones that we're supposed to be able to count on to make sure they're fair. And they're doing exactly the opposite. So the question is, what is the solution? Who's going to step in?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 4: There are lots of pro-democracy groups that you have, as you've mentioned, that are litigating these issues, and they're doing really important work. At the end of the day, the Supreme Court is going to need to hold the line here and make sure that Donald Trump cannot interfere with the elections on the eve of midterm elections. I mean, we are so close to the date for midterm elections for male voting to start in certain states is like a month away. So really nothing should be changing. There should be no changes made to voting processes. That is not normal. But there's this effort to kind of to sow doubt. And we really need the Supreme Court to hold the line here. Even if they do, Jim, I There's already a lot of damage that's been done because people are confused now. People are confused about how to vote. They're confused about whether their votes will be counted. They're confused about what the role of the Justice Department is. There has just been so much chaos injected already intentionally that some of the damage is already done. I think it's incredibly important that everyone inform themselves of how to vote, how to make your vote count in advance of the election and not to stay home, not to be deterred by this confusion. But that's the goal, Jim. It's to get people to stay home. It's to sow doubt that doesn't already exist and to create problems that don't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think early voting starts in North Carolina within days from now. I mean, this is and Todd Blanch, the attorney general, he has been sounding as though he's going to do Trump's bidding in.
Speaker 1: All of this.
Speaker 2: So you can't really count on Todd Blanch on any of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, 100 percent. He's definitely going to do Donald Trump's bidding. I mean, he's made it clear that that's his top. priority is to protect Donald Trump's interests. And if that means sowing doubt about elections, making false claims about election fraud, that's what we can expect Todd Lynch to do.
Speaker 2: And the other thing, you know, this was the thing that you and I were trying to talk about, and that is the Supreme Court and what's been happening at the Supreme Court and the way that they decided that Trump can basically do whatever he wants with the White House ballroom. I think we should talk about that a little. It was a little surprising that the Chief Justice John Roberts and sided with the liberal justices on the court who said that Trump can't just do whatever he wants with the ballroom. And I think John Roberts said that he thought it was maybe potentially illegal. But yet the other ones, the other conservative justices said, well, you know, the plaintiff didn't have proper standing. And so go ahead, build your ballroom, do whatever you want. What was your reaction to that? Because I saw a story in NPR today that this really could establish a precedent now that Basically, the president can do this kind of stuff willy-nilly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was a really striking opinion. And what was so striking about it is that there is not a single person who is defending the merits of the building in the ballroom. There is not a single person who is saying that it is legal for Donald Trump to build this ballroom. What five justices in the majority of the Supreme Court said is that the plaintiff, the person who sued, did not have standing to bring the lawsuit, was not a proper party to challenge the president's actions. And this is a person who claimed that she had standing based on the fact that she's a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is dedicated to preserving historic buildings like the White House. She lives near the site of the construction. She walks by it frequently. She likes to look at the site. It deprives her of reuse and enjoyment of that site. Now, the Supreme Court said that's not enough. If that's not enough to sue to challenge this, then nobody has standing to sue to challenge the construction of the ballroom. It is clearly in violation of federal law. The law could not be clearer that the president cannot build on federal land without prior approval from Congress. Congress has not approved this construction. So the construction is illegal. That's what John Roberts said. That's what the dissenting justices said. That's what the court below who was being appealed said. This is illegal and needs to be stopped. The justices on the Supreme Court who held that the construction can continue, they did it on a technicality. They did not disagree with the rationale that this is actually illegal. So basically, the Supreme Court has said that the president is free to violate the law because there is nobody who is allowed to challenge his authority legally. That is a very disturbing ruling because it may leave other presidential conduct unchecked as well. It raises real questions about when the Kennedy Center case gets up to the Supreme Court, will the plaintiff in that case be deemed to have standing or will the court decide that Donald Trump is free to do whatever he wants with the Kennedy Center because nobody has standing to challenge it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, on the Kennedy Center thing today, I mean, just today they were, you know, taking down, you know, one of these statues over the, it's a beloved statue over at the Kennedy Center, So you might find the story on this. They took down the sculpture known as Blue. I should have been able to remember the name of that. The latest change to the Cultural and Performing Arts Center that stirred some pushback.
Speaker 1: This is according to the Associated Press.
Speaker 2: The sculpture, a tall blue stick figure poised in action as if to kick a ball or from a different angle, having just kicked one, was designed by sculptor Joel Shapiro and installed in 2019. Our friends at Hands Off the Arts have been trying to fight, you know, the Trump administration on all of this.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, I just, you know, Liz, I think it is disturbing what's happening right now.
Speaker 2: If the president of the United States can just bulldoze part of the White House. I mean, I guess this means the next president can just build a skyscraper, bulldoze, bulldoze the whole White House, build a skyscraper there.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, they can do what they can take down statues at the Kennedy Center. I thought these places belong to all of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jim, I mean, I was sick to my stomach when I read the government's brief in the Kennedy Center case, the most recent filing that was made by the Justice Department. As somebody who has lived in D.C. for a very long time and been to the Kennedy Center many, many times, I know that it is a beautiful place. It is a place that has outstanding performances, cultural events. It has all of the amenities that you would want from a performing arts center of that caliber. And the brief of the government, I mean, it made it sound like the place was falling down, like it was a decrepit dungeon where the ceiling might collapse on you at any moment. It started out with a line that said something to the effect of, the Kennedy Center is in terrible trouble. It is just lies. It is not true. The claim that the building would have to be razed if we can't proceed with putting Donald Trump's name on it is just one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. And it just rings so false as somebody who has been to that building many times, including as recently as last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, Liz.
Speaker 2: I used to love going there all the time. And people need to understand. I mean, we need a reality check on the Kennedy Center. for a moment, and that is this. If Donald Trump had never put his name on the Kennedy Center and taken it over in the way that he did and run off all those performers and all those great artists who are institutions there, I mean.
Speaker 1: The Kennedy Center would be just fine.
Speaker 2: The Kennedy Center would be, I mean, they operated the Kennedy Center during his first administration. He wasn't doing all of this batshit banana things during the first administration. The Kennedy Center stayed open. It didn't fall in on itself. And They're just making up all of these excuses. And it's patently obvious to everybody who lives in the Washington DC area that they've just, they've just destroyed the place financially. And if they would just walk away and let a bunch of artists run the place, I would, I think in six months it'd be fine again, but they've just botched the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's, it's really remarkable. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, the only reason people don't want to go there is because of what Trump has done to it. He has, as you said, destroyed the place. He's, he's made it, he's turned it into a joke and he wants the building to physically pay tribute to him or else he is threatening to raise the building, to collapse it. And they mentioned possibly building an outdoor amphitheater instead. I mean, it is totally absurd. It's based on lies. It's a vanity project right now. It looks like the court is poised to potentially hold again that Donald Trump cannot put his name on the building because But there is a real concern, like I said, based on the decision on the ballroom that this could get up to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court could say, well, nobody actually has the legal right to challenge what Donald Trump is doing. So if he wants to name it the Donald Trump and John F. Kennedy Center, he's free to. And that is a real concern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Liz, I don't know. I just thought of this idea.
Speaker 2: Maybe instead of calling these vanity projects, we should call them insanity projects. I think that's more to the point. These are insanity projects that Donald Trump has created. embarked on and and it's just nuts the other thing we should talk about and i don't think this story should ever die it should never be placed on the back burner and it's the epstein um epstein gates saga that donald trump and todd blanchard tried to cover up i know you just put out a video on instagram by the way your lawyer or your instagram videos are a sensation and you know we should play your video and talk about it on the other side because i think you know again What they're trying to do for Ghislaine Maxwell is really it's just unconscionable.
Speaker 1: Let's play and talk about it.
Speaker 4: This week, he finally got a key document from the Bureau of Prisons. It is the Form 409 requesting Maxwell's transfer to the federal prison camp in Bryan, Texas. BOP is required to complete this form to request and approve an inmate transfer.
Speaker 1: But guess what?
Speaker 4: Almost every single part of the form is redacted. At the top, it's got Maxwell's name highlighted in yellow. Then it has the handwritten date 7-30-25, which is right after Blanche visited Maxwell in Florida. And then literally everything else is whited out. There's a section that asks for the rationale for her transfer. That whole box is redacted. There's another one that asks about Maxwell's institution adjustment. It's also completely redacted. Question five asks whether she presents any behavioral or management concerns. It's completely redacted. Question six asks if there are any BP-337 or 338 discrepancies. That means, is the requested transfer appropriate for her security level? The correct answer is no, but that is also redacted. And finally, the names of all the people involved in requesting and approving the transfer are redacted. So who decided to redact everything? Well, BOP is part of the Department of Justice, which means it's run by Todd Blanche. He decides what gets released and what gets redacted. And we all know how good he is at that. BOP claims the redactions are needed to protect privacy interests. Legally, this is highly dubious. Under the Freedom of Information Act, Privacy claims have to be weighed against the public's interest in knowing the truth, which is very strong in this case. Also, every redaction has to be separately justified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Liz, I mean, talk about this a little bit. These redactions, I mean, it's pretty disturbing. And again, they find new and inventive ways to cover this up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Freedom of Information Act is a law that requires transparency in government functions. And a journalist, others have requested this as well, but a journalist requested a year ago the documents related to Maxwell's transfer under the Freedom of Information Act. And It should have been very easy to locate this document and turn it over, but they dragged their feet for a year. It was not until a court got involved that they even gave over the document at all. And then when they turned it over, they redacted all of the parts of any substance, which is just legally something that you cannot do. You are required to weigh the public's interest in knowing the information against any privacy interests or other considerations. And there is no question that the public's interest in knowing why Galen Maxwell was transferred to that minimum security prison. It outweighs any privacy interests that the Justice Department might be claiming. But the whole section, I mean, there's a whole box, you saw it on there, that requires you to put in an explanation for the transfer, all completely redacted. It's a problem for Blanche because Blanche is given an explanation. He said, oh, it had nothing to do with special treatment. It's not privileges for her. It's a perfectly routine transfer. And it was because she was receiving death threats. I am willing to bet quite a bit, Jim, that there is no documentation of any death threats that she was receiving. I mean, this was clearly special treatment in exchange for the fact that she just days earlier had given Blanche statements purporting to exonerate Donald Trump from any misconduct in connection with Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think somebody needs to sue to get a hold of those documents to find out what was being redacted there. I would assume somewhere there, We have the, I guess, the original documents that don't have the redactions involved. I don't understand how, shouldn't redactions have something to do with national security or personal privacy or some sort of classified government reason?
Speaker 1: This is just Ghislaine Maxwell.
Speaker 2: She's a sex predator. She should be behind bars in a maximum security prison. And the reasons for transfer should be open to the public.
Speaker 1: I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: 100%.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are things that legitimately might be redacted. For example, her medical information, if she's got medical issues, it might be legitimate to redact her personal medical information or her social security number. But the reason that Todd Blanchett had her transferred, that is a subject of great public concern and absolutely should not be permitted to be experienced. redacted this journalist who got the document jason leopold of bloomberg has been doing great work on this and he is litigating this i imagine he will challenge the redaction the problem with that that legal process is that it takes a really long time so we're not likely to see the unredacted document anytime soon but it does exist and hopefully it will come.
Speaker 2: To light Well, Liz, once again, you knock it out of the park and your YouTube and Instagram videos are invaluable.
Speaker 1: You're on Substack. You're everywhere. And I don't know what we would do without you. So thank you for coming on today. It's always great to see you.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Liz.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it. That's Lawyer Oyer. Liz Oyer, the great Lawyer Oyer. Always appreciate when she comes on the show. In a few moments, Olivia Troy is going to join me. We're going to go back to this top story. that I brought you at the beginning of the show. And I think it's extremely disturbing, folks. And, you know, Donald Trump, we just need to be very clear about this. Donald Trump has started this deal. This is not, you know, last time around he claimed he wanted to stop this deal. This time he has started this deal. And the New York Times reporting that hundreds of federal agents from the Department of Homeland Security have been assigned to an intensive weeks-long hunt For non-citizens among the nation's registered voters, despite an absence of evidence of widespread fraud, agents are scouring voter rolls managed by the states. They're using personally identifiable information about individual voters.
Speaker 1: They're using dates of birth. They're using partial social security numbers.
Speaker 2: In some cases, investigators are posing as individual voters by plugging their names and personal information into public-facing websites, raising privacy concerns.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is absolutely insane. ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And it's yet another story. As Liz Oyer was mentioning a few moments ago, you had Justice Department officials in Wyoming who were being so aggressive outside of voting stations that the Republican governor of Wyoming was saying, what is going on here? You have this gambit that Donald Trump has started with trying to seize control of mail-in voting in this country through the U.S. Postal Service, a whistleblower who was reported on in the This whistleblower has apparently raised concerns that they're doing this in such a haphazard, ridiculous way that it could screw up the midterms. And Richard Blumenthal, the senator from Connecticut, who also raised awareness of this, has said that he may not have faith in the voting totals if this continues with what Trump is trying to do to mail in voting. We're going to bring in Olivia Troy in just a moment in all of this. But again, folks, this raises the very real concern And I've talked about this on the show many times that that are voting right now or elections right now are being interfered with. You have early voting starting very soon in the next couple of weeks in places like North Carolina. I think my friend Olivia Troy is here now, former national security official in the first Trump administration until she became a very high profile whistleblower herself and advocate for good government herself.
Speaker 1: Let's see, is Olivia in the room? Let's add Olivia if we can. There she is. Olivia, great to see you. Oh, I don't hear you. Let's try it. Let's try again. Get the audio going there. That's okay. That's okay. The technical gremlins are with us today. It's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you saw, maybe you heard me rambling on and reading this New York Times story. I'm very disturbed by this. DHS agents posing as voters going on this phishing expedition, looking for non-voters or illegal voters in the voting system.
Speaker 1: It doesn't add up.
Speaker 2: And it says to me that, again, they're trying to cause mischief in these midterms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I read about this and I've been very concerned the past 24 hours as I really looked into it.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're talking about going to, I think, like nine different states.
Speaker 5: And honestly, the big red flag for me, Jim, was the fact that a lot of those states are swing states.
Speaker 3: That really stood out to me.
Speaker 5: And, you know, yeah, they're calling it what the voter fraud surge initiative. I mean, we have HSI going into our communities again. We've seen what that looks like when they go out onto our streets and.
Speaker 3: Nothing usually good comes from it. I just wrote about this, actually, because.
Speaker 5: I was so angry that this is now what they're choosing to do in this mission.
Speaker 3: Because, you know, HSI, I'm familiar with them. I worked at DHS.
Speaker 5: I mean, they're supposed to be focused on like combating, you know, human trafficking. They're, yes, they should go back tracking cartels. And when I look at this and I think about like the DHS mission, when it comes to elections, maybe it's focused on, you know, maybe countering foreign interference, maybe cyber crime, things like that, but not actually policing our own people and getting involved in this the way they are announcing that ICE is going to be involved in because HSI funds are also to rise.
Speaker 3: And so I think. This is alarming. Very alarming.
Speaker 1: Very alarming.
Speaker 2: And kudos to you for writing about this. This is where your story says federal agents are launching a voter fraud surge across nine states starting today that will continue as Americans begin casting ballots in the midterm elections. And you go on to say, I spent years inside the Department of Homeland Security and counterterrorism communities. The dates caught my attention, but the agency they chose got my full attention. And you go on to say, if this is your introduction to HSI, don't feel bad. ICE eats all the headlines. FEMA soaks up what's ever left. But I know this agency. HSI is not the Department of Motor Vehicles with badges. It's ICE's principal investigative arm. Let's talk more about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is what was really concerning.
Speaker 5: For me is just, I mean, I'm trying to figure out what kind of investigation are they conducting here? Because we just saw that DHS recently announced that they had, you know, 16,000 non-citizens had voted in Nevada. Well, when they actually dug into it, remember that? When they dug into it and Nevada officials said, oh, okay, we will get on top of this. Let's investigate this. Give us more information. Can we get the identifiers for this so that we can conduct the proper investigation?
Speaker 3: Which they should, right?
Speaker 5: Because we shouldn't have non-citizens voting. Well, the follow-up, you know, DHS was like, oh, in further review, we only think it's 185. And then they wouldn't hand over the identifiers to Nevada. I say that as a prime example because that is my concern is, How many more of these types of situations are we going to have going forward when we have this surge investigation that's now happening right before the midterm elections?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not lost on me, right? I mean, it's not lost on any of us. The timing of this is completely suspect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I don't know what we do as a country.
Speaker 2: I guess the pro-democracy forces, we have, you know, friends who are lawyers and can you know, file lawsuits and that sort of thing to try to stop this sort of thing. But the courts have been very slow in all of this. And, you know, Donald Trump knows how to play this system like a fiddle. And the Supreme Court has bailed him out time and again. I mean, they're letting him do whatever he wants with the White House grounds. I mean, I guess, you know, you can build a skyscraper there. You could build, you know, a space station there.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You can build an amusement park there. And I guess because he's the president, the Supreme Court's going to let him do whatever he wants. And that's what concerns me about our elections is that we don't have the same Supreme Court that we had in 2020 by and large.
Speaker 1: And, you know, this concerns me.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, yes, usually we're like, OK, we have we are a country of the rule of law and they will hold the line.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I don't know how this situation continues to develop.
Speaker 5: And, you know, there's I've seen a couple of people out there that are saying, no, you know, let's not be alarmist about this.
Speaker 4: Well, no.
Speaker 3: No, this is actually a time to be alarmist because if I'm telling you as someone who worked in.
Speaker 5: The Trump administration that none of this is really adding up for me and I'm increasingly alarmed and concerned and I've actually had conversations with some of these nonprofits that are working on this, we should be paying attention because we should be preparing, prepare for those legal battles, yes.
Speaker 3: But the other thing.
Speaker 5: That I want to stress though is that this is another reason to double down and make sure that you show up to vote. And I think what I don't want to happen is that people get dissuaded because they are going to make everything twice or three, three times as hard.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: And I think that we've got to remember that this just means that we have to power up and use our voices and double down on this. And, you know, I don't know what this leads to. I think, you know, the coming days, we're going to see how this develops, how States react to this, what's going on. I think, You know, I think at the state level, I think there should be concern. Hopefully the attorney generals and secretaries of state are playing close attention to this and, you know, trying to figure out what is DHS actually doing here?
Speaker 3: Because I think when you've got Homeland Security, I think, you know, this department has.
Speaker 5: Been completely misused throughout this second term of the administration, I would say. And, you know, when they're getting involved in voter rolls now and they're going to start conducting these investigations, This is all part of what I think you and I have discussed in the past, which is using the national security apparatus, the Homeland Security cloak to conduct whatever it is that they're doing that I would say, quite frankly, is doing Trump's bidding.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: And I think that is what is concerning here as we go into this election cycle. And so I think, you know, TBD, we'll see what more surfaces. But this is a really serious situation.
Speaker 3: For our democracy.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: And, you know, I guess Senator Alyssa Slotkin the other day asked General Dan Cain, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and Pete Hegseth, will, you know, service members be, you know, military service members be showing up at the polls during the midterms and so on. Apparently the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Dan Cain, said no, they're not. Pete Hegseth did not offer a reply as far as I understand from the reporting. And so it's almost as though what the administration is trying to do in the way that they cause chaos in the media, he causes chaos with the allies. It sounds like what he's going to try to do is cause chaos with the courts, cause chaos with the midterms, and see if he can, through that whirlwind that he whips up, extract some way where he avoids accountability, extract some path to not seating a new Congress. And people need to understand that I totally agree with what you just said a few moments ago, Olivia. I've been talking about this on the show here and there, which is people need to have a plan to vote. It's sort of like if your house is on fire, you know, families get together before something like that god-awful thing happens in their home. Okay, we're going to go out this window or we go out this door. You know, I mean, that used to be a thing when I was growing up. You had a plan if your house was on fire. Maybe I'm old and, you know, house fires were more common back then. But people need to have a plan to vote. And if mail-in voting is not looking like it's going to work in your state and you're really fired up and you want to send in your ballot, make another plan. See if you can get a friend or a loved one or a relative to get you to an early voting location or get there on election day. You may have to show up at 6 in the morning and stuff some granola bars in your pockets. Do they still arrest people for having water and snacks at the lines? Have you seen that yet?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I think that they were talking about doing that in Georgia for Pete's sake, but people need to have a plan.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with you that people need to be prepared.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and look to your point about what you said about that letter from the chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I read that and paid close attention and I was thinking to myself, okay, this is what you're saying right now. And I wanna just say, I'm not to get into speculation and things like that.
Speaker 3: I wanna be clear about that. But that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Say that there won't be some emergency, some crime hunt down, tamp down, some invasion, I put it in quotes, that's going to necessitate putting military troops out on the streets that coincidentally times with the election, right?
Speaker 3: Like, these are the things I watch when.
Speaker 5: It comes to Donald Trump and this circle of people, because I've actually... I've seen their planning internally firsthand with how they view the military and how they use it to their bidding. And we've seen the way they reach havoc on our streets, you know, throughout this past year when they did send the National Guard.
Speaker 3: We still have the National Guard walking around D.C.
Speaker 1: In some ways.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So when I when I see that letter, I say, well, thank you for putting that on the record.
Speaker 3: And in this moment.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: But it makes me wonder.
Speaker 5: With so many people in that revolving door right now in the Pentagon and how many general officers are either being fired or resigning or moved to the side. It just, you know, it's like, okay, well, thank you for putting that in writing noted, but I'm not necessarily going to trust 100% that that's a legit thing because ultimately it's going to be Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Right. And yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes you want to check the fine print.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when I read it, I was like, okay, somebody print that out.
Speaker 3: It's on record. But that to me means it doesn't, it's.
Speaker 1: Not a guarantee.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Pete Hexeth doesn't seem to be offering any guarantees these days. And I just want to point out that, you know, Trump's devious mind, it may be wearing him down. And this is why he can't stay awake during Oval Office photo opportunities.
Speaker 1: I think we have video.
Speaker 2: This happened again today, Olivia. And maybe you and I haven't talked about this yet, you know, During the first administration, I don't remember him falling asleep all the damn time.
Speaker 1: But here he is again. He was surrounded by some CEOs today. He's passed out.
Speaker 2: He's asleep right there. President of the United States. And I don't know what's going on there, why he can't sleep. This is happening.
Speaker 1: Multiple days during the week. He's just out.
Speaker 2: And is it because he stays up all night cooking up all these cockamamie crazy ideas for meddling in the midterm?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's part of it because he's on Truth Social. posting crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: Um, but I mean, you know, this is, this is the guy that they're going to meddle in the midterms for, is he going to be awake to sign the, the, the, the, the pardons, you know, when it comes to pardoning, everybody is going to be awake enough to sign the pardons.
Speaker 1: They might want to check on that.
Speaker 5: It depends on what time, if it's two o'clock in the morning and he's on true social, you know, writing this post, Then maybe, or maybe if Natalie's, you know, nearby and doing the work for him and she's the one taking the notations perhaps, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But no, look, I don't remember him napping that much.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe nodding off a time or two.
Speaker 3: I remember a lot of the cabinet nodding off during meetings. That was always interesting to watch. I'm not going to lie about that.
Speaker 5: That was always like, we are in the situation room. We're actually having a serious discussion, but please proceed with your nap. So I just, you know, I think you are right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. It's because he's standing, staying up all night.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't, she doesn't talk to me.
Speaker 5: I have no idea what's going on in that head, but yeah. Impressive to watch all the people around them though. Just continue to act like this is perfectly.
Speaker 2: Normal.
Speaker 1: It's wild, right?
Speaker 2: It's total emperor has no clothes or, you know, has has no ability to stay awake, has no energy.
Speaker 1: He's low T.
Speaker 2: It's maybe it's a low T for Donald Trump. That's a lowercase T. It's a low T, not an upper T.
Speaker 1: These days. But Olivia, I wanted.
Speaker 2: To reach out to you when I saw this New York Times story, and I know you've been working on this story as well. I'm very concerned about these midterms, very concerned about what they're up to.
Speaker 1: We saw what happened in the 2020 election.
Speaker 2: I think he's made the determination if he can't win the election, he's going.
Speaker 1: To steal the election. That's where his head is. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And look, I think the angrier he gets and the closer we get to the elections, when he starts to see what's happening and it starts to become more real, that there is a potential for accountability to be coming his way and oversight and that he is potentially going to lose a lot of the power that he has right now. That is when you're going to see him continue to go off the rails, lash out even more, come up with some delusional crazy plans with a circle of people that are going to figure out how to do his bidding, because that's what we've seen. when it's a circle of that he has right now of the people that are willing to do it. And so, you know, I, I think you're, everyone should be paying attention.
Speaker 3: To the story.
Speaker 5: I mean, they should be watching every aspect of it, watching what justifications are using for these investigations, watching, you know, these numbers that they post when he goes on broadcast TV, like he did that primetime.
Speaker 3: Address and he was announcing, you know, thousands, all this fraud. I mean, this is all one big, coordinated, connective narrative, I would say.
Speaker 5: And that is the one thing that I will say that unfortunately the Trump machine sometimes does well is you may think that it's chaotic at times, whatever, but there are people behind the scenes who are actually like threading the needle and tying it together, right?
Speaker 3: Trump is off his rocker. He's falling asleep.
Speaker 5: And, you know, frankly, sure, taking cat naps in some of the most important meetings before the world. But I would say I am concerned about what is, the secretary of DHS doing?
Speaker 3: What is his strategy behind this?
Speaker 5: What is Stephen Miller, who we know basically runs the department, what is he doing behind the scenes? What are the people sitting in the policy office in the White House, people who are.
Speaker 3: Concerned about what's to come in these midterms?
Speaker 5: I think that is, I would say, the strategy and the coordination happening behind the scenes, and it's very concerning.
Speaker 1: Very concerning. Very concerning.
Speaker 2: And, you know, it seems that they'll lie about anything these days. And I'm going to talk about that.
Speaker 1: In a few moments.
Speaker 2: But, Olivia, great to see you. Thanks for jumping on. I know it was a last minute thing and really appreciate it. We had some technical problems with another guest, but you're one of our favorites and one of our go-tos. So we always love to come to you whenever we can. Olivia, thank you so much for what you do each and every day.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. See you all soon.
Speaker 1: See you soon. Yeah, see you real soon. And, you know, I was just mentioning a few moments ago.
Speaker 2: The lengths that these cabinet members, I mean, talk about shamelessness, talk about spinelessness, talk about, you know, low T. Some of these cabinet members are willing to do or say anything, literally anything to kiss up to Donald Trump. And again, kiss up to a guy who can't, he can't stay awake. He has these Oval Office photo opportunities and each and every time, almost every time he has one of these, he can't stay awake through the whole damn thing Is anybody going to talk about this?
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all, that is the thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, sleepy Joe Biden was never this sleepy, even when he was sound asleep. He was never as sleepy as Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Is right now.
Speaker 2: But I will say the ability for the willingness that some of these cabinet members have to just lie about anything is remarkable. The Commerce Secretary, for example, thank God he's not in charge or has anything to do with our elections. But He was on Squawk Box on CNBC and was talking about Iran and trying to cool the temperature and say, you know, Iran's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Everything's fine. We got it under control. And then lied about service member deaths, which is, it couldn't be worse.
Speaker 6: The president is playing Iran, right? There's not, there haven't been American deaths. It's really just an economic chokeout, which the administration is now executing more broadly. And I think it'll be very effective.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you heard it right there.
Speaker 2: There have not been any American deaths. There have been 18 service members killed in this war. Thank goodness there have not been more. But for the 18 service members out there, the Secretary of Commerce, Howard Lutnick, whose name has, you know, the letters in his name has been, you know, shifted around a little bit to maybe more accurately describe who he is and what he's all about. To the families of those service members, how disrespectful.
Speaker 1: How shameful. You're the secretary of commerce. Have you no shame? Have you no dignity? Have you no respect.
Speaker 2: For the people who wear the uniform, who represent us and put themselves in harm's way and make the ultimate sacrifice? I just think it's one of the most despicable things I've heard in a very long time. And I think part of this is because The language that they speak inside Trump world, the language that they speak inside this Trump White House is one of dishonesty. They lie so much that it's an uncontrollable pathological lying that goes on and they can't seem to stop.
Speaker 1: And it's all in service. It's all in service of somebody who, as I was saying earlier in the program, he's not obsessed with his vanity projects. He's obsessed with his insanity projects. These are insanity projects. We now have a Trump coin.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, the U S mint put this out today that there's a Trump coin. I guess we can put this on screen. Look at this available for purchase today, a $.
Speaker 1: 1 Trump coin. We don't need a Trump coin in this country. Why would you want a Trump coin?
Speaker 2: And as I saw some folks mentioning, you need more of these coins now to get a gallon of gas. But this is what's happening in our country right now. He can't finish the war. He needs his commerce secretary to go out there and lie about the war. He can't get gas prices down. He can't get grocery prices down. He can't solve this trade war with Canada. All he can do is piss off the Canadians left and right. And they're putting out a coin. They're tearing down statues over at the Kennedy Center. the blue statue over the Kennedy, they, they, they, they're tearing that down for God knows what, are they going to put a giant statue of Donald Trump over at the Kennedy?
Speaker 1: Is that what's happening? Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: Is it maybe a giant statue of kid rock over at the Kennedy center? Is that what we're going to put up over at the Kennedy center? I mean, it's, it's getting out of control. These, these vanity projects. I mean, there's, there's blue. This was a fixture over at.
Speaker 1: The Kennedy center. They're tearing it down. Because why? Because they've totally mismanaged.
Speaker 2: This sort of like, if you don't put his name back on the Kennedy Center, we're going to tear down the rest of it. Is that what this is? It's to unsettle everybody? And I just have to say one other thing before we go. You know, the way that the corporate CEOs and the gutless wonders in big business are are bending the knee to Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It's disgraceful. It's absolutely disgraceful.
Speaker 2: Google the other day says that Lake Ontario is going to be Lake America now.
Speaker 1: It's on Google. Google Lake Ontario, you get Lake America. Now it's.
Speaker 2: Apple doing the exact same thing. They've done the exact same thing. It's absolutely a disgrace. And I was talking about this on my Instagram today. If you have the ability, download MapQuest. I downloaded it today. And it absolutely works. I mean, I know it sounds very late 90s, early 2000s to have MapQuest. When did MapQuest come out? I can't remember when MapQuest. I feel like it was the 2000s. And MapQuest, now as we moved on to other things, I think what's old is new again. If Google and Apple are going to bend the knee, and start calling this stuff Lake America, I'll use MapQuest. I went on MapQuest today. It still says Lake Ontario. I'm using MapQuest, everybody. Listen, appreciate everybody tuning in today. We had some technical gremlins, had a guest fall through, but we got through it.
Speaker 1: And we got the information out to you today.
Speaker 2: I want to thank Liz Hoyer for joining us today, Olivia Troy for jumping in last minute. I absolutely agree with what Olivia Troy said a few moments ago before we go. If you are, and I hope to God that you are going to vote in these upcoming midterms, but if you have not made a plan to vote, you need to start right now to make a plan to vote in the upcoming midterms. Our democracy is counting on you. Our system of checks and balances that the Supreme Court seems to have tossed by the wayside. They don't seem to be interested in checks and balances anymore. They think that a president can be a dictator in this country. But all of this is going to be on the line in the upcoming midterms, and it's going to count on your vote.
Speaker 1: So make a plan.
Speaker 2: If you live in a state where you're concerned about the mail-in voting, go ahead and start making your plan to early vote or vote on the same day and make that plan now because our democracy is counting on it. All of us are counting on you to make sure that we do our job and get this done. Make it your job this November to vote. Again, really appreciate our guests joining us today.
Speaker 1: Appreciate all of you watching. Another quick reminder, our.
Speaker 2: Daily newsletter is out every day, the Jim Acosta Morning Memo and the video update. There's a video version of the Jim Acosta Morning Memo. You can get it if you're a paid subscriber to Substack and YouTube. And we're getting lots of people tuning into that each and every day.
Speaker 1: So check that out. Become a paid subscriber.
Speaker 2: You get immediate access to our brand new daily newsletter. It's available on Substack and now on YouTube posts as well. We put it out on X for our X viewers, but you might have to get through a paywall to get to it, but it's worth it. Let me tell you, it's definitely worth it. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta.