Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path Went Chile for part two of our three part series about the disappearance of Stephen Kosher. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up on what we talked about in our previous episode?
Speaker 2: Well, Stephen Kosher was a young thirty year old man who came from a very devout Mormon family in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was very close to his family, but had decided to relocate to the town of Saint George, which was a couple hundred miles away. Unlike many of his siblings, Stephen was still unmarried and had not had children, and seemed to be going through a difficult time because the Great economic Recession of two thousand and eight. It just happened. He was having trouble securing full time employment and paying his bills, and by December of two thousand and nine, he started going on some inexplicable road trips where he would drive through various places in Utah and Nevada and nobody really knew where he was going. There was one point where he stopped to visit the parents of a woman he used to date, but she wasn't around at that time, so he just had lunch with them, and they pretty much could just track what Stephen was doing through his cell phone and his bank card and credit card records, but nobody knows why he decided to make these lengthly trips. One of them was nearly eleven hundred miles long. So finally, on December the thirteenth, two thousand and nine, Steven decided to make an unexplained trip to Henderson, Nevada, just outside Las Vegas, about one hundred and thirty five miles away from Saint George, and he would go into an affluent community for retired people over the age of fifty five that he didn't seem to any connection too, and one of the residents's cameras would show him parking his car and just walking away, and then he just vanished without a trace. Nobody knows what Stephen was doing there. They would get some pings off his cell phone over the course of the next few days, and even evidence that his cell phone has been used, but no trace of Stephen has ever been found, and over the years have been a number of speculation about why he made that trip there, wondering maybe he was offered a job, maybe he got roped into something illegal, and We went through the known facts of the case on part one, and here on Part two, we're going to talk about some theories about that, and then in our next episode, Part three, we're going to share some new information about this case that has come out in recent years and may shed some more light on what happened to Stephen. So, if you've listened to the Trail Went Cold and the Path Went Chili long enough, I'm sure you're well aware that I've always had a particular fascination with unsolved mysteries where a victim goes missing or winds up dead after traveling to a location they had no reason to be at. This certainly applies here because we have Stephen Kosher making unexplained one hundred and thirty mile trip from Saint George, Utah, to Henderson, Nevada. Before he exited his vehicle and vanished without a trace. That would be unusual enough on its own, but what makes this case extra bazaar is that Stephen made multiple unexplained road trips in the days prior to his disappearance, including a nearly eleven hundred mile round trip through Utah and Nevada, which he drove over the course of less than twenty four hours. So why did Stephen decide to make these trips and did they have any connection to his disappearance. Could these trips be an indication that Stephen might not have been in his right state of mind at the time, or did he get himself involved with something that his friends and family did not know about. There have been so many theories pushed forward about Stephen's disappearance, such as him being the victim of foul play, or disappearing to start a new life, or walking off into the Nevada desert to take his own life. But the one theory we haven't mentioned yet, which I'm one hundred percent convinced is not true, is that Stephen ran away with another missing persons from Utah who vanished during that same time period.
Speaker 3: Susan Powell, Okay, you have to tell me more about that case in a minute. But to talk about Stephen when we look at his life, correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember I was talking about the fact that he was a man of deep Mormon faith.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yep?
Speaker 3: Definitely, Okay, So he was a man of deep Mormon faith. He was in fact going to wards and visiting with important people at his church and friends from church shortly before he disappeared. And yes, he was not married, which would have caused a lot of stress on a young Mormon man because marriage and family is one of their key belief systems and importance in their life. But I also think that his faith would make it less likely that he simply wandered off and completed suicide if he had. I truly feel like because he was so active in his faith, he would have left some message for his family or some message for the elder in the church discussing why and where his heart was because of a desire to be in heaven right, because I think his faith truly was his driving force. And if you have been around people of the Mormon faith, there is just such a beautiful component of the importance of family and the future and what family means for your admittance into heaven. And so I would have thought to you'd see some kind of communication to his family or to the elders of the church. Also, remember Stephen had lost his job, it was the recession had hit. It was a horrible time in America, and so his finances were struggling. And yet you see him out shopping. You see him making plans to visit family for Christmas, and you see him making these trips while denying financial assistance from anybody who's offering. And so I think that you have to step back and say where were his finances coming from.
Speaker 2: Did he have a.
Speaker 3: Large credit card where he had a high high balance that he could you and he was simply charging up a credit card, or was he doing something maybe nefarious, maybe just behind closed doors where he is getting some kind of financial support. And part of that includes the driving. We talked about the fact that, oh man, one of the most expensive parts of our trip when we go somewhere is stopping, getting drinks, getting snacks, getting food, spending the night in hotels to get to our destination. And so if he's struggling at that point and yet he's making all these trips, it has to be for something or someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what a lot of people have been thinking, is that he's struggling so much financially. The one thing you don't want to do is go on these lengthy road trips and have to stop and pay for gas on so many occasions. Because even if he just kind of was disillusioned, he needed to drive around for a while to clear his head or something like that. That still costs money. So that's why there has always been speculation that he might have gotten himself involved in something and that all of these road trips were somehow connected to and that it was allowing him to make some extra money on the side, but they've just never been able to conclusively prove this.
Speaker 1: So on December seventh, two thousand and nine, lesson one week before Stephen vanished, twenty eight year old Susan Powell, her husband Josh Powell, and their two sons, four year old Charlie and two year old Braden, were discovered to be missing from their residence in West Valley City, which is three hundred miles northwest of Saint George. Josh and the two boys returned later that day, and he claimed that he had taken Charlie and Braden camping. According to Josh, Susan did not come with them and was still sleeping when they left the house. Josh maintained that he had no idea where Susan was, but given that the temperatures were below freezing at that time and the weather was miserable, nobody believed his camping story, and since the couple had been experiencing marital difficulties, Josh quickly became the prime suspect in his wife's disappearance. Well the following year, Josh and his family and started to publicly express their belief that Susan disappeared voluntarily and ran off with Stephen Kosher. In fact, Josh's father, Steve Powell, sent law enforcement a nine page letter outlining the similarities between the two cases, and the letter contained a lot of points which he believed supported the theory that Susan and Stephen had been conducting a secret affair and orchestrated their disappearance in order to frame Josh for murder. Like Stephen, Susan was a devout Mormon and had briefly lived in West Valley City for a few months in two thousand and seven, and the Powell suspected that they'd taken off to Brazil since Stephen had previously done missionary work there. While investigators never found any evidence that the two cases were connected, and since Stephen's movements and communications during the last week of his life are pretty well documented, there did not even seem to be any opportunity for him to orchestrate a disappearance with Susan.
Speaker 3: That is incredibly I remember the Susan Powell case. The little boys were young and the husband says he took them camping, which ended up being a very odd story. Like I think he left in the middle of the night to go camping with them, not you know, early in the evening or anything. I feel like, if I recall correctly, he left it like midnight or one in the morning to go camping with these little idybe boys, and then all of a sudden, his wife's just missing. Highly suspicious, and it's really interesting that even the family jumps on board with no evidence to say, hey, it's not Josh. It's got to be the fact that she ran off and is having some affair. I'll tell you, a deeply devouted Mormon mom with two little boys probably has goals to have more babies, and those boys were her world, Like I said, they're her worth here on earth. I doubt if she's truly devout in her faith, she's walking away from those children. And as a mom myself who's not Mormon, but a woman of faith and just a mom my children in my world. Even if my husband Nirad odds, those babies are not going to leave me, so I'd fight tooth and now to make sure I had access to my children. And so Susan's death seems quite suspicious and geared towards Josh, and this just looks like a pretty desperate move.
Speaker 1: Is this the case where Josh Powell's dad is really creepy?
Speaker 2: He is, Yes, well we're gonna mention it in a moment. But they did an entire podcast about this called Cold, which was like several episodes long, and Steve Powell came off as really really creepy. I think there were like stories about how he put hidden cameras in Susan's house to spy on her while he was changing and stuff. And I believe that he even made songs for these, like really creepy love songs. So I know Josh was a bad person, but when you see how creepy his father is, you're somehow not surprised, so as I'm sure many of you probably know. Due to Josh being a suspect in his wife's disappearance, Susan's parents eventually got custody of Brayden and Charlie, and Josh was only allowed supervised visitations. On February the fifth, twenty twelve, when the two boys showed up for a scheduled visitation at Josh's house, he locked their social work outside and proceeded to attack Brayden and Charlie with a hatchet before setting off an explosion, which killed both himself and his children in a murder suicide. It goes without saying that virtually everyone believes that Josh Powell murdered Susan and disposed of her body in a desert area during the time period he said he was quote unquote camping, but she has still not been found to this day. Steve Powell died of a heart attack in twenty eighteen, and since he was always suspected of being complicit in Susan's disappearance, it's believed that when he heard another Utah resident, Stephen Kosher, went missing just one week later, he attempted to exploit the situation in order to deflect suspicion away from himself and his son. But West Valley City and Saint George are located three hundred miles apart, and there's nothing to suggest that Stephen and Susan ever met each other, so I think the timing of their disappearances is nothing more than a coincidence. If you want to learn more about Susan Powell's story, I'd recommend checking out Suason, one of the long form podcast Cold. But I think we can safely move away from the theory about these cases being connected.
Speaker 3: Okay, I almost started crying when you mentioned what Josh did to his kids. I remember this. The social workers there to check on the kids. I had totally forgotten. I just thought Josh got away with it. But I remember the parents go to pick up the babies from a custody visit and he kills them, absolutely heartbreaking. And then for the father to still kind of double down and continue to say that Josh had nothing to do with it and that Susan chose to leave. That continued after Josh did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much like they have never admitted any culpability. And I know Josh had a brother who also died by suicide after jumping off a high place, So there's been speculation that Josh, his brother, and his father knew exactly what happened to Susan and we're all complicit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to go with that theory. Instead, what a horrific, horrific tragedy. It reminds me of the documentary Dear Zachary, where I won't tell you what happens there, but if you haven't seen it, watch that. It's one of the most devastating crime cases I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: It's an incredibly well done documentary.
Speaker 3: Oh so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dear Zachary pretty much broke me worse than any other true crime documentary I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if you go to newspapers dot com and check the religion section of the February nineteenth, nineteen ninety nine edition of the Davis County Clipper, which is where Rolf Kosher worked as an editor, you'll find a full page outlining recent news about LDS Church missionaries, and it announces that Stephen, listed here as Elder Kosher, has been called upon to serve in the Brazil South Paulo East Mission. I always find it haunting when I see the names of missing and murdered people listed in older news articles which were published long with before before they became a victim. At that particular point in his life, Stephen had recently graduated high school and seemed to have a bright future ahead of him, and he probably never would have guessed that just over ten years later he would be single, childless, broke, underemployed, and wind up going missing. Mormonism is a religion which puts a lot of focus on getting married and starting a family, and unlike his siblings, Stephen had not done that yet even though he just turned thirty. For this reason, I've seen a lot of speculation in online discussions about this case about how Stephen may have been a closeted gay man and made up a trip to Henderson for some sort of secret gay hookup, but there's no evidence to support this theory at all. We do know that Stephen once had a fairly serious relationship with a woman which wound up ending before they became engaged, but I'd be curious to know more about his relationship with Anna Marie Ness, as Stephen took a lengthy trip to her family's ran three days before he vanished. All we know is that Stephen first met her as part of an activity for his LDS Singles Ward, But even though they dated and Stephen seemed to enjoy Anne Marie's company, their relationship never developed into anything serious, so it really makes me wonder why he felt inclined to drive three hundred and sixty miles to Ruby Valley, Nevada in order to show up at her family's ranch unannounced. We'll talk more about this whole road trip momentarily, but I've always wondered was Stephen hoping to rekindle his romance with Anne Marie and drove up there for the express purpose of seeing her, Or did Stephen make this lengthy trip for completely different reasons and only decided to pay the Neft family a visit because he just happened to be in the area.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot in this section when you look at the idea of could he have been a caloset gay man, I think it's possible. I mean, if you think about any kind of deeply religious and faithful person, Catholic Church, just the Christian faith, even Jewish families and Mormon families, you know, yeah, being gay is not one of the top morals that they're holding out for somebody to celebrate. So I could see that being the cause. But I could also see that he's truly just one of these people that is devoted to faith, devoted to work, lost his job continues to be active in church, but just hasn't been aligned with the right person. I mean, thirty is young, not in the Mormon faith and looking at not being married, but it is still young. So I could see something like Anna Marie and saying, hey, you know what, I'm thirty, I'm getting older. I don't like this singles word mess because I'm not being matched with anybody. I don't feel it connections with anyone. But I do care about Anne Marie. But my question becomes, wouldn't he have made sure she was home because it was just her parents right when he got there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much like he just stopped by unannounced, without being invited, and say hey, can I see Anne Marie and was told, oh, she's out today. So I'm thinking that if it was really really important, that if he was serious about rekindling a relationship with her, he should have called first before making this lengthy trip. So that's why I've always suspected that he was there for other reasons, and it's just by pure chance he decided to stop by and see the nefts because he happened to be in the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, either that or he had this idea that there was going to be some kind of grand gesture. But if there was, I feel like there would have been a bigger emphasis of that. The family would have said he was desperate to see our daughter. He kept asking when she'd be home. He asked if he could stay for the evening until she got home, and that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And you think if it was a grand gester, that he might have called the parents beforehand and said, Hey, I want to surprise Anne Marie. Is she going to be home? Rather than calling her directly. You'd think that he would do something in order to make sure that she would be around, because it's a lot of output of effort and financially as well, because he's got to drive a great distance to not see Anne Marie. If that was his express purpose.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering if maybe he felt more motivated, like if there were theories going around that maybe he suddenly came into some money because he was offered work. So he's thinking to himself, Hey, I'm now guiding some income, I'm digging myself out of a hole. Maybe I'm feeling more worthy now that Anne Marie would want something to do with me. So when I go to the area, I'm going to see her, and if she happens to be around, maybe we'll explore the possibility of starting to starting to date again. So in addition to the social pressures of starting a family, it definitely sounds like Stephen was facing huge pressure to find steady employment and a steady income. Obviously, since this was one year removed from the Great Recession, Stephen was far from the only person in America who was facing these struggles. But given how unwilling he was to accept financial assistance from his family, you get the sense that he may have felt like a failure. And while he supposedly did not show any outward signs of being suicidal, stephens struggles could have given him a potential motivation to end his own life. Yes, it doesn't make much sense for him to drive one hundred and thirty miles to another state in order to kill himself, but we've seen examples like the Gael Delano case from unsolved Mysteries where suicidal people have done that very thing. So if Stephen decided to wander out into the Nevada desert, perhaps his body has just never been found. In spite of his precarious position. Stephen was also described as having no obvious signs of depression. But I find it interesting how eight months before he vanished, he made the decision to relocate from Salt Lake City to Saint George, apparently because he couldnot stand the cold Salt Lake City winters. This took him three hundred miles away from his family, so I have to wonder if there might be more reasons for this decision. Perhaps he was suffering from an undiagnosed case of seasonal effective disorder, which causes depression to hit during the fall and winter months before its subsides in the spring and summer months. If Stephen found himself feeling very down during the cold Salt Lake City winters, that would shed some light on his decision to move south to a city located near the Nevada and Arizona borders, which had a much warmer climate. But I think it was just Stephen's bad luck that he was laid off only one month after his relocation, and he was now residing in a city where the job market was poor, and he likely had too much pride to move back home. You could assume that Stephen may have decided to move so far away from his family because he felt trapped in an oppressive religion. But it sounds like Stephen took his faith very seriously, which is why he've remained heavily involved in LDS activities in Saint George. I really do get the impression that Stephen was close with his family, and during their interviews on the Disappeared episode, Rolf and Dann Kosher come across as loving parents and genuinely nice people, which is why I've always found it hard to believe that Stephen disappeared voluntarily. It's really heartbreaking today see Rolf get emotional and cry a few times during his Disappeared interview, knowing that he would pass away only a few weeks after his interview was filmed, and he was already deceased by the time the episode aired. I think the fact that Stephen did not even resurf as following the death of his father is a pretty strong indicator that he's no longer with us unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what's interesting too, is is that in the LDS church, I think when you move and you're trying to find a new place to go, one of the important factors is where is the next ward of our church? And oftentimes those people are responsible for and welcoming to help you get settled in your new place. They're there to help you meet people, they're there to help you look for jobs. So it really is an instant community that he would have been moving to. Like you said, yes, if he was struggling and he needed to go back home, I think he would have known he could. I would also imagine a thirty year old man saying like, oh, come on, I'm going to try to make it, and I'm going to try to push through this. But he would not have been a lot. Remember, he was involved in multiple things in his church, and so I think he would have had his own little community there as well. And he had plans and he was even making actions towards those plans to go home for Christmas. There were, if I recall correctly, Christmas presents in the back of his seat for his nieces and nephews, and so he had intent to go home. He had intent to follow through with his word to reconnect with family for the holidays, and he never made it. And so again I think had he wanted to complete suicide, someone in that church or his family would have gotten some kind of communication about I'm sorry. I had to do this. But here's why, because I think his faith truly drove him. Whether he was at conflict because of sexuality, whether he was in depression because of money, whatever it was, I still think he would have wanted an earthly representation of what his desire was for his heavenly body. And so I don't know. I just I'm really stuck on that idea that he just walked away. I don't think he was a kind of person to do that.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, I don't think that he was. But I do think that there is possibly another side to that, given that the Mormon faith puts so much emphasis on family. Getting married and Stephen was neither married nor employed, and earning a good income so that you can support your family is an important part of Mormonism as well. And we do know something about Stephen. We do know that there is an element of pride there because he was offered money by his family, he didn't take it. His grandmother had written him a check and he refused to cash it. So part of him doesn't want to be seen as not being able to support himself. So if it was the case and there was pride involved, like in the situation, with not taking the help from your family. I could see a scenario where there is a potential that he might not have wanted to say or give answers as to why, and he may have had his own relationship with God and may have reconciled how he chose to leave the earthly plane, and explaining to other people might not have been part of that plan. I'm not saying I believe that's what happened. I could just see a scenario where that is possible.
Speaker 3: I could see that, or it even left a door open for him to say, like maybe I wandered off you Like, I don't want them to know the sin of what I just did abo sin quote unquote. I want them to think maybe I was hurt, or maybe I disappeared, or you know, I want to leave a question mark so that they don't know that I completed the ultimate you know, wrong, and then it's not one more shame upon my family. Maybe I could see that, but I'm leaning more towards the other. But that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Due to Steven's financial issues, the most logical theory for his trip to Henderson is that he was seeking some sort of employment opportunity. Or at the very least something that could earn him some money. But even if that was the case, that still doesn't explain why Stephen made those two other unexplained road trips through Nevada on December tenth and twelfth. So, according to Diane, this sort of thing wasn't all that unusual for Stephen, as one of the reasons he moved to Saint George was to research his family history in the area, and he often went on tours of cemeteries looking for ancestors graves. Stephen was known for being a spontaneous person, so Dian theorized that her son could have made these trips in order to keep himself busy while he was underemployed.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I can understand the logic in that, but the problem is that these road trips can be expensive, as Stephen has had to stop and pay for gas multiple times, even though he was pretty much broke and three months behind on his rent. I guess one possible explanation is that if Stephen was feeling suicidal and had already made plans to end his own life, he could have decided to spend his last days driving around in order to see some sites with little consideration to how it would affect his finances. But the main hole in that theory is that Stephen purchased Christmas gifts for his brother and newborn child, which suggests that at the very least, he was planning to visit his family for the holidays, like you promised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. The way we talked about this earlier is that we know that finances were not something that were going well for him, and so maybe it is something where he was being spontaneous and he thought, you know what, this is all very temporary. I'm going to travel, I'm going to enjoy myself. Life is short, and the money's going to come. Maybe he had a credit card he was putting it on. Maybe he had a savings account we didn't know about. Who knows, Or he was doing something more nefarious or something that was behind closed doors where he was getting money. But in the idea, we do see that Stephen is spending money. He has money from somewhere, and that idea, like you said, the Christmas gifts for those for the baby, that's a so special I remember remember you my brother for Teddy's first birthday and Teddy's first Christmas. He doesn't have children, and so to give my baby presents, it was really important that he got to be a part of that holiday celebration. And so I really see Stevens purchasing those Christmas gifts as one of the biggest signs that he had an intent to go home.
Speaker 2: That is true. I mean, they weren't exactly expensive gifts, but even if he got paid something to do some extra work that we don't know about, he might have felt motivated saying, hey, I can actually afford Christmas gifts for my brother and my newborn nephew this year, and that's why he decided to purchase them. And I still take that as a sign that he wasn't planning to end his own life, that he had every intention of showing up to Salt Lake City to spend Christmas with his family. However, let's look at the timeline for Steven's road trip on December of the tenth, which was very odd. His first confirmed transaction was purchasing gas in Salt Lake City at six forty five am Mountain time, which is nearly a four and a half hour drive from Saint George. This means the latest that Stephen could have left his home was shortly after two am, meaning that he completed an eleven hundred mile drive on little, possibly no sleep, and the timeline throughout the day doesn't leave much opportunity for him to pull over and take a nap. So could this mean that Stephen was not in his right state of mind at the time. You also have to wonder if there's a specific reason why he traveled to Salt Lake City, because he then drove west from there to the Neft's ranch in Ruby Valley. If visiting the Nests was the primary purpose of his trip, he could have just driven straight from Saint George to Ruby Valley, as making that detour to Salt Lake City added an extra few hours to his journey. And we mentioned earlier that if Stephen really wanted to see am Ree, why not call ahead to make sure she would be there that day before making the drive. So it makes you wonder if Stephen had another reason for traveling to the Ruby Valley area and made a spontaneous decision to visit the ranch because he just happened to be there. Another odd detail is that Steve he even told the Nefts he was planning to travel to Sacramento to visit family and friends, even though it does not sound like he knew anyone there. Since it takes around seven and a half hours to drive from Ruby Valley to Sacramento, there's no way Stephen could have gone there that day, So why did he bring it up? And once again after leaving Ruby Valley? I'm not sure why Stephen took a winding route and drove back to Salt Lake City because if he had just traveled southeast directly to Saint George, he would have arrived home a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Do we know at the time, I mean this is two thousands, so did he have a he had a cell phone? Do we know who he was in contact with? And were their credit card receipts showing where? You know, tracking where he had been, who he could have been with, restaurants he might have eaten at. Do we have all that information leading up to his disappearance? I know we see him parkis car and wander off, But other than that, do we have many details of putting him in certain specific locations.
Speaker 2: Well, that's pretty much how we can follow his movements is because he used his credit card in his bank card to purchase gasoline and purchase food at various locations. We just don't know why he drove to these locations. And they did check his cell records and there was like nothing out of the ordinary. Like as you recall in our last episode, he received phone calls from both his sister and his mother while he was driving and did not tell them he was driving at the time. They had no idea that he was in Nevada when he was receiving their calls. But they didn't show any outgoing calls from his cell phone. The shit any light on why he was making this trip. And as we're going to talk about, there has been speculation that if he was doing something nefarious, maybe he could have had a burner phone or something like that.
Speaker 3: I was just about to ask that I was going to say, when they searched the car, I don't recall them finding one, But that doesn't mean when he walked away with that quote briefcase or file folder that maybe he didn't have a burner phone on him.
Speaker 2: That is correct. Yeah, they didn't find one in his car, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't carrying one.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like December eleventh was a routine day for Stephen but his road trip through Nevada on the twelfth had a lot more gaps than the timeline, and since there are no eye witnesses who reported interacting with Stephen that day, we have no idea what he was doing. We only know that his cell phone pinged off a tower near Overton at eight nineteen am Pacific time, and he purchased gas in Mesquite at four or four pm Pacific time. But those places are only about forty miles apart. So where was Stephen during that nearly eight hour gap. He probably wasn't driving the entire time, because otherwise he would have needed to stop for fuel. Again, he made his purchase at the kmart near Saint George at seven fifty eight pm Mountain time, even though driving there from Mesquite would only take about forty five minutes. So there's another gap of time in which Stephen's whereabouts are unaccounted for, and you have to wonder if this influenced his decision to travel to Henderson. I have to say these trips are giving me flashbacks to the unsolved nineteen ninety four disappearance of twenty three year old Karen Denise Wells, which was covered on both the trail went cold and the path went chili. As a quick recap, Denise left her hometown in Oklahoma on a cross country road trip to visit a friend in New Jersey, but she wound up going missing, and her abandoned rental car was discovered in rural Pennsylvania. A check of Denise's movements, as well as the odometer of the vehicle showed that she inexplicably drove an additional seven hundred miles on her trip, which were never accounted for. So it's been speculated that she may have become involved in drug trafficking and this caused her disappearance. Not surprisingly, it's been theorized that Stephen's lengthy road trips may have been connected to drug trafficking as well. Even though he was known for being a morally upstanding individual and unlikely candidate to participate in anything illegal, he was also in a desperate financial situation. So could he have been roped into doing something he ordinarily wouldn't have?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think, of course. I think a lot of people could, especially when you feel desperate or hopeless, or you're trying to say, hey, if I could just get ahead, then these other things would be easier in my life. Right, I don't have to do this long term, but if I can get financially stable, getting a wife, having a family, you know, making my family really proud of me, those things are going to come more naturally and easier. It doesn't have to necessarily just be drugs either. It could have been something like sex work. It could have been something like a financial pyramid scheme or some kind of you know, quote business that he had been talked into by somebody, and he's going to try to meet with people or plan some kind of of I don't know, crooked kind of scheme with people. That's probably less likely because of the financial crash, no one had money to be sparing. But I mean, it could have been something that we're not even thinking of, like a odd business his action where he's trying to go recruit people or get customers in on something that's not necessarily on the up and up.
Speaker 2: And it could be something where he wasn't even aware he was doing anything illegal. He's just told I need you to deliver this package to such and such a place, but he's not told what's actually in the package.
Speaker 1: And I think that our morals and values guide us for the most part under ideal circumstances, but when people become desperate and they're in a situation where it feels like there's no way out, I think that we are all capable of doing things that are outside of scope of our normal behavior.
Speaker 2: And what makes Stephen's trip to Henderson even murkier is that we have the account from his neighbor that he saw Steven's car parked outside his residence to Saint George at around ten pm on December the twelfth, but it was gone a half hour later. The next confirmed sighting of Stephen is when he spoke to Greg Webb on the phone the following morning at seven fifty two am Pacific time and said he was in the Las Vegas area. So after his neighbor noticed the missing car at ten thirty pm the previous evening, did Stephen return to his residence at any point before he drove to Vegas or did Stephen spend the night at an altogether different location. The fact that a blanket and pillow were found inside the abandoned cavalier suggests that he may have slept there when Stephen arrived in the Sun City, Anthem neighborhood in Henderson. He was last seen passing by the security camera exactly at noon, which means that he may have had an appointment at one of the houses at a specific time. But here's the big issue with that theory. When Greg Webb called Stephen, he said that he might not make it back in time for the Singles Wards morning service and asked Stephen to fill in for him, even though Stephen said he was in Vegas. He told Webb that he would be willing to return to Saint George to do the service until Webb told him not to bother. So, if Stephen had a scheduled appointment in Henderson that day, why would he offer to go back home. Even though there's no indication that Stephen was a gambler, I guess he could have become desperate enough to travel to Vegas to attend have to win some money. I'm not sure if law enforcement attempted to check the security footage at any of the casinos to see if Steven ever showed up to one, But even if he went there to gamble, that still doesn't explain why he went to Henderson, and we don't know anything about Stephen's possible movements in the Vegas area that morning.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting. So we know for a fact he was not tied there, or he knew that he was going to be easily mobile and could have gone back for the wards morning service. And then he says, you know, he's told, hey, don't bother, don't worry about you, don't have to come. But he was very willing and quickly wanted to go serve his church. And so whatever he was doing and whatever the plan was, isn't something where he thought like, well, my life is on the line if I don't stay put where I am, or this is going to put me in significant risk. He knew that, hey, if I need to, I can drop what I'm doing right the second and go home. So that makes me kind of question a drug involvement unless he knew it was a very quick drop off, because because you have this plan on this route, you need to go make all these drops that you couldn't guarantee someone not involved in that operation you can easily just pivot and come home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a very strange situation. And I have a hard time wrapping my head about Steven's agreement to do that because it could be a thing where he was scheduled to make a delivery to Las Vegas or Henderson, but he didn't have to show up at a specific time, but still having to turn round and go back to Saint George to do the morning service. That's going to cause a significant delay. And it makes me wonder if he had done that, would he have gone back to Henderson later that same day.
Speaker 1: Now, even though it's generally accepted that Stephen was the man captured walking down the sidewalk in sun City Anthem, I have to acknowledge that the footage is blurry and shot from such a long distance away that you really can't tell with one hundred percent certainty that it's him. I know that Stephen's family have studied the footage and are pretty sure it's him due to the way he walks, in his body language, but fear about it. Could something have happened to Stephen beforehand, and another man decided to abandon his car in the neighborhood and walk away from the scene. Alkham's razor tells me that it is Stephen, as the consensus from the private investigators working on this case is something bad happened to him. Only minutes after he walked past that camera, and he never left the neighborhood alive. Of course, even though there are no more confirmed sightings of Stephen, his cell phone pinged off various towers located outside the neighborhood in the days following his disappearance, and someone checked the phone's voicemail two days after the fact, even though there's nothing to indicate that Stephen was still alive at that point. So if Stephen was dead, either the perpetrator kept his phone in their possession or the phone was kept alongside Stephen's body, and these pings might provide a clue about the area where he's buried. While we're on the subject of Stephen's cell phone, all the calls on his phone records had been accounted for and offer no insight into why he would have traveled the Henderson. Steven's laptop and email account also turned up no leads, but it's worth reiterating that all of his Internet activity took place on computers at the library. So if Stephen had a meetup or an appointment for an employment opportunity scheduled in Henderson, perhaps all of his communication was done on the library computers. Through websites like Craigslist. But perhaps there is no digital or paper trail to explain Stephen's trip because any arrangements he made were done verbally.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, it absolutely could be. You know, you look at the idea of public communication like you said that library, computers or verbal communication. But I'm really worried and the hair stands up on my arms when you talk about the fact that his cell phone had been checked two days after the fact that he disappeared. Stephen was in communication with his family if he was alive. I feel like he would have reached out if he could, and he was in trouble by the time it got to a point where he felt scared and he was in trouble, I think he would have called his family. And I definitely think, like you said, you have incidences where like the holidays came and he didn't show up. You have the death of his father and he didn't show up. There's things in life where if he could have I feel like there would have been some kind of communication and there wasn't. And so that idea that his cell phone was pinging and someone was checking the voicemails on his phone makes me think that he had already been deceased or was gravely injured, and that phone just happened to be near his body, And then it makes you think where was he, what happened, and who had him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that detail is one of the reasons why I never really believed that Steven's death was a suicide or that he simply wandered out into the desert or died, because it doesn't really make much sense for his phone to still be pinging two days after the fact, so I am inclined to think that someone else had possession of that phone during that time period. So I think that about brings an end to Part two, But during our next episode will finally present a bunch of recently unearthed information to shed more light on this case. Join us next week for the conclusion of our three part series about the disappearance of Steven Kosher Robin.
Speaker 1: Do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us. On Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 4: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've bought our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy