Speaker 1: You know, I had a start planned for this where I was going to make fun of you that, now that you don't work at Woodward anymore, where you big timed areties on Tuesdays on my show because you were too fancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I even made a comment about it in the nine o'clock hour of my.
Speaker 2: Tuesday show, that you were too big today. I did.
Speaker 1: I did. That's actually how I started the Wednesday show. I said, Actually, it's not the bulky's too big. It'said I'm too illiterate too.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's not a literate it's just just ignorant, or maybe more maybe it's a technical problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I was. I was sitting there in the movie scrolling through texts I missed. I was like, well, son of a bitch, there was. It is not It's not even like it was during the segment. It was literally sixty seconds after I sent you the text, right immediate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was ready for it, and then like you didn't, I honestly forgot about it, and then you didn't call it. And then I tuned in at like five to nine, and I think it was on a break. Yeah, if you're on a break, I'm like Okay, well, something obviously happened.
Speaker 1: So well, my normal host is a co host on the eight thirty segment from w BA Y who normally runs a little shorter because she has obligations. Aisha Morales couldn't make it. Her dog actually tore her ACL so she was an e vet. I know, I didn't even know dogs had acls. I'm gonna be honest, but so I had landed more. He and I just talked for hours, So I was like, is bulky here or not? I was gonna cut it off. I was like, well, he didn't text, so I guess, but no, he did text here we are? And what did he text about? What movie? Did he text about? Anaconda twenty twenty five. That's when I realized when he was there, and I gotta say, I am, this is gonna be It's gonna be like two halves of my brain or doing a review here, because there were things Paul Rudd and Jack Black are very, very charming and entertaining individuals. Did I think cover up a lot of holes in this movie? Okay, being honest, well, what are your initial thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, so I didn't know what I was getting into. Number one, I didn't, did you feel like you needed to go back and watch the original Anaconda.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal. I think you might be closer in age to Jack Black and Paul Rudd than I am. I was like nine or ten years old when the movie came out. I rented it once and immediately made my parents go and buy me the VHS and I watched it a thousand times, like I thought it was the best thing. So when I was nine years old, was terrifying. Big giant snake looks so real at the time. Yeah, good causs. So like, if you wanted, I could do the movie line for line for you right now.
Speaker 2: If you need aspress.
Speaker 1: Just like the characters when they're quoting John Boyd. I was I could have been there with them saying John Boyd's lines.
Speaker 2: So I was hurt. I was. I read that this was described as a meta sequel, which is a word I'd never heard before, but it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent. So anything meta screen Cabin in the Woods, meta narratives oftentimes do hit me. And like when You're when You're seven Psychopaths is a great example. Whereas they're writing the script, the script is happening in the movie, and it's like that, and that's kind of what they play on with this in a way that I found to be not original but fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I so there is that, and then you know what else I got in the second half of it. Well, okay, I'll bring this up later, but let's talk about what Initially I thought I was gonna Paul Rudd, Jack Black forgot Steve's On was in it. Yeah, And and so initially I thought, well, this is gonna be a comedy. It's like a comedy whoror, but definitely more emphasis on the comedy, right. Didn't know anybody really else in the movie. I didn't realize that was Tandy Newton in the trailer, which blew my mind, and I even like looked it up during the movie. I'm like, god, it that looks just like Tandy Newton, but she looks so so much younger, and sure enough it was her.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I like, I'm looking at her filmography now and I've seen almost every single one of these movies, and I guess she just doesn't register in my memory, so like, I don't know who this is. She did crash yep, Okay, Yeah, Mission Impossible to Westworld Norby that was and that was the last thing I remember her from was Westworld, and she looked much now.
Speaker 2: She played a much serious, much more serious character in the movie.
Speaker 1: She's been acting since Interview with a Vampire, So she's been around.
Speaker 2: She's been around, and I think she's fifty three. I want to say something like that. Okay, yep, roughly, And I thought she was older than Paul Rudd and Jack Black and but no, it's right in the same wheelhouse. So anyway, so I'm expecting comedy or whatever, and then there's this kind of like a little bit of I.
Speaker 1: Know exactly what scene you're talking about.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, to kick it off the way that they set it up, Like the first ten fifteen minutes, there's a lot of stand by me ish stuff, you know. You know that they used to film these movies when they were kids or whatever, and obviously, like most people, their lives did not take them in a way that they expected or were hopeful of. So then I'm like, I'm like, dude, thirty minutes in, forty minutes in, and I'm kind of like, I don't think this is going to turn out to be very good. And then an hour into it, I'm like, yeah, this is not good. I don't like this at all. I feel like this was not Jack Black. Okay, So I'm with you, man, I'm so Jack Black. I think when now I'm not a Kung Fu panda guy or whatever school of rock. I thought he was solid in and then Shallow Hell, I thought, oh, I'm gonna get the Tropic Thunder in a second. That's, by the way, there's gonna be a couple of trap Tropic Thunder references. I have ye, Shallow Hell star right, and and I just feel like that does not suit him. I think he is he is best as a rebounder, and and he was more of a star in this movie as well.
Speaker 1: Example that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and so I think that in this flick viewing, you know, seeing how I've seen Jack Black act and the characters he's played in the past, I don't necessarily think he has the range to play the type of character he did in this movie. He had his moments, right, sure, but I don't think like, I mean, he was kind of you know what's funny about this is I read that Paul Rudd was signed on for this as the director of the film. He was going to be the director of The Anaconda twenty twenty five. Then they signed Jack Black and he read the script and he went to Paul Rudd and say, I think we should switch. I don't think I should be the star. I think you should be the star and I should be the director. And then they switched, okay, which I thought was kind of interesting. But for me, this was not You're you're kind of trying to think of a good example here for this. You're taking, like to borrow a sports term. You're you're taking a field flipper wide receiver, all the speed in the world, and you're sticking them in the slot and you're having him run these little hitches and intermediate routes. Right, You're not utilizing him to what he's best at. And there was some slapstick physical comedy with Jack Black in this, but I expected more. I think about Tropic Thunder Dude, yeah, or even High Fidelity, which I've been watching a lot more clips. Do you ever see High Fidelity? You know?
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I Do you like that movie? John Cusack, Jack Black, Tim Robbins, It's good, Yeah, But I've been watching and he was so good in that movie too, but again he was a rebounder. He wasn't like the star and so I feel like they they asked him to do too much in this film, and maybe he wanted to too much, and I feel like that's was part of the letdown for me. And Paul Rudd was kind of like just this vanilla what do they call it, the non playing character and mpce it was kind of an NP. I just I don't it did nothing for me.
Speaker 1: Did you find the humor fell flat?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I thought the whole movie phil flat.
Speaker 2: There was just there's no and then okay, and I'll tell you this is the other thing too that ruined my expectations. I don't know how you feel about Saving Silverman, but this is a movie that came out in.
Speaker 1: Like I forgot, you know, I forgot that they that was a reunion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two thousand and one, roughly sure, and it was Steve Zon and Jack Black. Jason Biggs was the main character in that. But they were the two uh the kidnappers, the kidnapped and they were hilarious in that two thirds of this Neil Diamond cover band. It was awesome. And then uh so I see Steve's on in this, I'm like, Oh, this is gonna be great, right And it wasn't. And steves On's character I just felt like was never developed. He's buffalo sober, that was the funniest thing, with a lot of doubt. There's just there. There wasn't a whole lot of meat to this.
Speaker 1: He puts on a voice that I honest to god, balky. I was sitting there. I was in the theater googling if he had a stroke, like I wanted to see. Was this because of health reasons he's talking this way or because he thinks does he think this is a funny character. It turns out he thinks it's a funny character because he doesn't have any health issues. So he decided that that was the best way to deliver this character. I found him kind of painstaking. I found the delivery of all three characters. There was one time I left and I'm not even spoiling anything. Five minutes into the movie, they have a video that they made when they were kids. Yeah, and they were gonna put it in the VCR to play it, and one of the moms in the room says, is they're cussing in there, and Paul Rudd goes, I don't give a shit. Let's put it in the only time. And it's not even like a joke, like it's just like the way he said it. It's not like there was a setup and a punchline. It was just And this is how I've been describing it to everybody who's been asking the whole film is carried if you could even say it was carried by the charm of the two leads, if it weren't for those two being cast, if this would have been an Anaconda reboot, and we're gonna get two handsome, twenty five year old dudes that we don't know who they are to helm this movie. It does not make any money. It doubled its budget in the box office, so it's al really, it's ninety million in the first weekend it cost forty five, So I mean it's a success in terms of Hollywood standards. But to me and tell me if this is wrong. I do this all the time. People will calling outside the box and they'll say, Ben, I'll tell you what they can't make. They can't make Blazing Saddles. Today, I'm like, of course they can't, because Blazing Saddles from fifty years ago, and comedy evolves. If you are telling the same jokes in nineteen seventy two, you're telling in twenty twenty six. I would assume most people would find your jokes to be not funny because we've seen them a thousand times over. This felt like a rehash of nineties comedy that I grew up on that I love. And it all felt like you'd be like Jack Black will randomly like hookers. He'd like yell something and you could tell there was even a pause for the laughter. No laughter theater they're Beline deliveries. And I think it's because that would have been funny twenty five years ago, and it was. It was humor by today's many. I don't in terms of bits other than the one in the commercial that we've all seen with the hog when he's dead with the squirrel in his mouth that they do.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, to be honest with you, I forgot about that, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And then there's one where they set up to pee in a way that is absolutely hilarious. And other than those two bits, there's really not jokes. They're banking on the fact that Paul Rudd and Jack Black are just innately funny and their delivery of words is funny, and that's what they're back.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't and it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if if part of me was like because I knew this is a remake and it was a very meta thing like where they're obviously they live in the same you know, in the universe where the Anaconda movie from ninety seven like was made or whatever, and I wonder if I just felt like something bigger was coming, like they were gonna do more with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they did a.
Speaker 2: Couple of things. No spoilers, but there's a couple of surprises.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some wrinkles.
Speaker 2: Did you see the first wrinkle coming? No, because when when they're showing that, I'm like, oh, you know, it would be awesome if it's this. Yeah, And then it was I'm like yeah, yeah, I think I was pretty verbal. Uh and when when that happened, And there was one other time I laughed pretty hard and I can't remember what.
Speaker 1: It was, which is how I described the movie.
Speaker 2: You know, which is which is funny that that like I remember because I remember after I got done, I'm like, okay. On the podcast, I got to bring up that I laughed twice in this film and I can't even remember the second.
Speaker 1: Time exactly that that's kind of my whole I'll tell you what I remember. There's one jump scare that didn't make me jump, but I was like, Oh, if you don't watch horror movies, I bet that scared the crap out of you.
Speaker 2: Talking about the binocular thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and uh and then and then the the pen set up and they do take the hog on the back scene from the trailer, and they do build on that with one more layer that did get me to laugh. That might be what you're thinking about, Okay, I think it was. Yeah, because they add the extra layer once Jack Black wakes up, which again not a spoiler, you see it in the trailer and he's running, they add an extra element that they don't include in the trailer there that did make me laugh. And I'll tell you, bok, there was one. There's one goober and I hate these that work. There's one goober in the audience because there was like fifteen twenty people watching it in the theater with me that was laughing so hard the entire lay. And I'm sitting there and I'm like so like because it's the exact opposite of what happened when I went to go see Roses. Like in Roses, there was no seats available and I'm the only one holding my stomach laughing. And here I'm sitting there and this guy's just dying and I'm just like then, I'm like feeling like condescending almost, I'm like, what is this just? You have to be of a certain level of humor for this to resonate with you, because I am not finding this funny here. This guy wouldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 2: I was at my kids basketball tournament this past Saturday, and there was a guy sitting behind us for one of the games calling for traveling, calling or fouls that just were not happening, you know. And I turned to my mom and I said, it's like, this guy's never watched a basketball game. And I feel like that's the guy in the theater where if you are laughing super hard at this, like, have you not seen a comedy?
Speaker 1: This is the first comedy you've ever got, And there aren't many new comedies. They're starting to come out again now we've seen a.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is? I mean, there was just this long stretch where there's no comedy.
Speaker 1: I'm not a cancel culture guy, but I do think there was a period of oversensitivity I think made it.
Speaker 2: There have to be a cancel culture guy to recognize that other people are and maybe that's the reason why.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying is like, I don't blame it specifically on that, but I do say I think there was a lot of hesitance because a lot of the shit that made us laugh when we were teenagers, some of it might be like, oh, okay, like you can't say that anymore. I don't think we're bad people for laughing at it. I think it was a different time, and I think people are just nervous about or were I should say. And now I'll tell you what we could gun What three was absolutely tremendous. This one kind of whiffed in a lot of ways. I think I'm making a good comedies hard, and I hope more people try. But I think to your point, though, that might be why that dude was laughing like that, because there hasn't been a lot of contemporary comedy lately, so people are starved for it.
Speaker 2: Let me throw something else at you. What about the fact of we can get comedies at home on streaming services. We can get certain dramas on home at home on streaming services. The stuff we go to the theater for is the avatar stuff, the f one stuff, Yes, the stuff where you're actually immersed in the actual film, whereas comedies, I mean, did you feel like you were immersed in the Amazon jungle in this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, no, And I don't think that's the idea, right, So for something like this, Hollywood's probably like, why would we make stuff that the experience in the theater is not accentuated at all?
Speaker 1: Counterpoint I have actually said since twenty fourteen, and I know it's twenty fourteen, and I'll explain why in a second, that the only reason theaters are still relevant is for big budget action movies, horror movies that you want to get like engrossed in, like the scary parts of it, and comedies for packed theaters. And the reason I.
Speaker 2: Know, wait, okay, what's the comedy? What do you mean? Comedies for pack theaters?
Speaker 1: I saw Dumb and Dumber two without a seats available, and that makes sense, and it was one of the best movie experiences I ever had in my life. So I bought the movie on Blu Ray when it came out and rewatched it. I went. I went with my girlfriend at the time, my brother and his girlfriend at the time, and we were like, you guys have to see this movie, and we bought it on Blu Ray. We watched it again, not in a theater, and we were looking at each other and we're like, you know, it might have been the environment that we were in, because the whole theater was cracking up. Being in a comedy movie when everyone's laughing with you. It happened for Naked Gun. For me, that is such a fun time. It's just like going to a comedy show. You might watch a stand up comic and maybe chuckle look couple of times, but when you like at your house, Yeah, but if you were sitting next to a bunch of people holding their sides cracking up, you all of a sudden find yourself laughing more.
Speaker 2: So then to your point, Ana Conda would not classify one of these.
Speaker 1: Packed because it didn't draw the audience, and even the people that were there, one out of twenty thought what was happening? What was that was actually fun?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like I mean to use your example, Dumb and Dumber two, Do you feel like that was because of the anticipation, like we had not seen a Jeff Daniels, Jim Carrey Thumb and Dumber in whatever it was thirty years. That probably contributed to it, right, Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. But conversely, I think Anchorman two would have bombed in the theater, you know what I mean. Like, I don't think I would have been laughing at that at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think Anchorman two is all that good.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. I think it's not so much the I think if Dumb and Dumber two would suck.
Speaker 2: But I'll say this, I'll say this, like Dumb and Dumber two, I feel no compulsion to rewatch. I've only saw it, seen it once, so so.
Speaker 1: I remember when Jeff Daniel says though, he says, yeah, I haven't to my parents since I told him I was gay. Gary says, but you're not gay, and he goes, yeah, I was sick and tired of mowing the lawn. That's a good job. That's a good job.
Speaker 2: Uh. The The other thing with this, and I wonder if it would have changed. Do you feel like this was missing a leading man a leading comedy comedic actor. If somebody like Jim Carrey or Will Ferrell had been in this along with Rudd Jack.
Speaker 1: Black, see, I think that question just offended a lot of people because I think I love you man.
Speaker 2: All the rules we've.
Speaker 1: Just listed with Jack Black. Paul Rudd's role in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Oh Hello, looks like someone's from London. Like it's funny, It's quotable, funny stuff. I think these guys have the chops to do it. I think it felt mailed in man to be perfectly okay.
Speaker 2: But but but again to my earlier point, Paul Rudd was a bit part in that movie, was a bit part in that movie, and I would I would contend that Jason Siegel was the main attraction sure quite frankly, in both those movies, and I love it, Like which is weird to say, what's he been doing lately? I'm not seeing in anything, or maybe he's just directing now honestly, Forgetting Sarah marsh No, he did that weird AMC show Dispatches from Nowhere.
Speaker 1: I watched two episodes of it and lost interests, probably why I got canceled as quickly as it.
Speaker 2: You know, it was weird because I think, like, did you ever what was the Gunslinger movie with McConaughey and Idris Elba Dark Tower?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: That was the book. Series kind of ends in a in a circular manner where the ending is the same as the start, right, And I believe that's how Dispatches from Nowhere ended where it turned out. Spoiler alert. I don't think I'm enough Dispatches from Elsewhere. Elsewhere not Nowhere. Yeah, the ending was him writing the whole thing. Oh you know like this, this was a whole thing that he had written, that Siegel had written. Yeah, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: I sometimes wonder when this I love how off topic we are at this point, but I sometimes wonder when people as talented as him don't show up. You know, there's a shady underbelly of Hollywood, and I sometimes wonder if people like you know what I'm out, Like, like, you're asking me to do some stuff that I do not want to be a part of. And I'm just gonna call it because I'm looking at his filmography. Uh, he's in something called Shrinking, which I guess is a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was Apple TV. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, it looks like we got sex tape in twenty fourteen, like he has fallen off a cliff other than yeah yeah, I saw that in theaters with a girl I was dating, and uh yeah, Despicable Me in twenty ten, five Year Engagement, twenty twelve, Muppets, and eleven I Love You Man, and nine. I think I don't know this or fact, but I always because I do think he's a talented actor. I think he's a funny guy.
Speaker 2: Can you is that as IMDb?
Speaker 1: I'm on his Google movies and shows.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he because I think he was kind of transitioning to directing a little bit more, and I wonder if that's what he's been doing instead of acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe going I'll look for it while you're talking here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well not not, I mean not to believe.
Speaker 1: He's only got two director credits Dispatches and Jason Seagull and Paul Rudd meet Rush in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, yeah, Well, how Paul rudds still getting all this work? It seems like him and Siegel are bodies.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's what leads me to believe you either are part of a scandal or don't want to be part of the sand, and those are the only two.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard anything about a scandal with Seagull.
Speaker 1: Because he disappeared, because that whole crew James Franco's in some hollw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we knew. But we knew about Franko, Yeah we did. We always we find out about this stuff and then and then all of a sudden, like Segull, we never there were no even whispers or rumors.
Speaker 1: I think he would have been a great addition to this movie.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: And I'll be real, I think both women played like the traditional woman parts of like nineties comedies like I don't think either one of them was particularly entertaining, not to say they're bad actors. I think they weren't put in a position to be funny.
Speaker 2: I don't. It's like Tandy Newton needed a paycheck. This is not her right, million right.
Speaker 1: And Daniella Melchoir or melcoor melkor Yeah. I thought she was AI for the first ten minutes because she's so beautiful that I was like, there's no way a person that exist beautiful.
Speaker 2: God, your version of beauty is.
Speaker 1: Just there's no way a person like this lives in reality because I can't stop looking at this girl. And I've seen almost every movie she's in, and I feel like I've never seen her before in my life. Who was she in Guardians of the Galaxy? Get out of Here? She was in Guardian Who was she? I have no idea, I have no idea. Just says she's in the movie. I'll look it up. But uh, but yeah, she was in Suicide Squad, the second one. Oh, she's probably the Ratcatcher's daughter now that I think about it. But she's in the Fastest Yeah movie.
Speaker 2: God, I didn't realize she was in all this stuff.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. She's in a ton of big budget stuff. The Roadhouse remake, she was doing all these things. But let's see here, Guardians of the Galaxy three, There we go. She's Eura. You are a?
Speaker 2: Is that one of the Ravagers or something?
Speaker 1: She's one of the red skinned Oh, she's the one that that Peter Quill flirts.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait when they're in like the Weird Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're like the flesh yeah thing. Yeah okay, but yeah, so that's why I didn't recognize her. But yeah, I thought She was stunning in this movie, not hilarious at all, though she really didn't have any lines that were funny. They wrote all the lines for the three leads, and those three leads to hit about twenty percent of the time.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, like this was not like a well known director at least I'm not familiar with him at all. And the guy who wrote this with him, I think it was Kevin Evan, was like a co writer. The director is Tom something I want to say. I could be wrong on that, but it's weird that you get this cast together, Oh that's the original, keep going. You get this cast together and it's like, really, this is what they churned out. You know, they couldn't have loved the script all that much. They could not have. There's just no way. And then you get all this talent that has done so much other so many other great things. It's it's I don't know, it's just a lot about this to not make any It's.
Speaker 1: Interesting you bring that up, and now I have a theory. I'm going to run this past.
Speaker 2: Yeah please, I'm probably gonna agree to it because I don't have a good answer.
Speaker 1: Nostalgia bit is big in America. Right, we're trying to find the things you and I grew up on. Repackage it make you bring your kids. In my case, if it's just enough to intrigue you from your childhood, come out and see it. There's a very famous anecdote about Sean Connery who turned down Gandalf. It's why Ian McClellan is Gandalf. They originally asked Sean Connery and he was like, I don't understand what this movie is. It seems dumb, and I don't want to ruin my career. And Lord of the Rings goes on to be what Lord of the Rings is?
Speaker 2: A movie? For him?
Speaker 1: Mad at himself for passing up on that opportunity, he decided he wasn't going to make the same mistake twice and took the role as the lead in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a movie I personally did not hate, but America did hate.
Speaker 2: A I didn't even know that was a nostalgic thing.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's not nostalgic. But he in his own mind equated Lord of the Rings with League of Extraordinary People around you, and as a result, he just after that movie. I just don't understand Hollywood anymore and retired after that movie.
Speaker 2: This was his last film.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, this might have been a play by Jack Black and Paul Rudd to be like, you know, nostalgia bates in. People love Anaconda. Let's just do the Anaconda movie and make up a billion dollars because everyone's to see it. And this was their league of extraordinary gentlemen. They thought they were cashing in on that feeling. But in reality, I love Anaconda. How many knees are there in the world, clearly enough to double your box office, but not necessarily enough for just to be memori you know.
Speaker 2: I just maybe it's a delicate thing, trying to combine comedy with horror. Because I thought Anaconda was a great movie. I loved it me too, and we were all so much younger in my case much. I don't even think like. I think like I would still enjoy it today. You may not, because I think there is a lot of tropes in that that were easily predictable. Yeah, somebody as as conditioned as you are now. But I still would enjoy it. You know. This brings me back to stranger things. I have been listening to the two guys I work with the last couple of days do nothing but complain about how Stranger Things ended and how the Duffer brothers are feel and that, and that they're the worst writers ever that they can leave all this stuff open. And you know this, are you following conformity Gate at all? No? Oh, dude, this is this is massive conformity Gate. Is this huge thing on the Internet that is showing all these like little easter eggs and and stuff that they're seeing not only from the show itself, but in popular culture in the real world that is pointing to not only a bonus episode today, but maybe four bonus episodes of Stranger Things today. In other words, stuff that's going to happen with Stranger Things prior to this VECNA spinoff that we're supposed to be getting. And I'm like, I'm not filing at all. But the point of it is, as I've done nothing but listen to these guys complain, It's like, I mean, why can't you guys just enjoy it for what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why why why do we? And I know we have a podcast critiquing this stuff, But at the same time, I watch this stuff with an open mind. I don't have to enjoy it. But once it's ended, I'm done, you know, Like if I really really enjoy it, yeah, I want to talk about it more. I want to experience more of it. But if I didn't like it, why am I dragging you know, myself through the mud of the muck and the meyer of stuff I didn't like? And that's that's like the whole thing where it comes back to this, this film like it's it's done. Uh, didn't really enjoy it? Yeah, but that's where But that's where it ends.
Speaker 1: For big difference the movie, I get you can move past the movie. If Endgame would have sucked, it always comes back to Marvel. If Endgame would have sucked, I would still be complaining about it.
Speaker 2: The difference with that is how many films have we gotten since Endgame?
Speaker 1: And how many years have your co fellow coworkers been watching Strangers Things since twenty fourteen twenty?
Speaker 2: Well is that when it came out to fourteen I'm sure? Uh?
Speaker 1: Game of Thrones twenty ten to twenty nineteen, six years it's absolutely brilliance, but and then a complete of the bed.
Speaker 2: So I come back to this as well, it's not what I didn't like it how it ended. It's not what I would have done, but it is what it is, and and so then I'm done with it. After that, I don't sweat it. Why do you take the time to put yourself through the pain of continuing to rehash why you didn't like it? Why these guys are morons?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Like for me, it's just like it's it's not worth it. I don't know, I'm turning this into a mental health thing, like, but like the thing is I like this. Why do we do that to ourselves?
Speaker 1: It's because it's just like the trope of like when a couple breaks up in their late twenties and the girlfriend roll was yoe, you wasted the best years of my life. I watched Game of Thrones from the time I was twenty two until the time I was thirty one, and was so invested, and it's like it didn't even exist. I will never rewatch Game of Thrones because.
Speaker 2: Jonas for me in general, are heart like I'll tell you this breaking bad, better call Saul. I think those are two of the greatest dramas we've ever seen in television history. I have no inkling to rewatch those.
Speaker 1: Oh see I used to rewatch the seasons of Game of Thrones in expectation of the next season of Game of Thrones coming up.
Speaker 2: Like that. You almost had to do that because there was so long between seasons that you had to refresh, like Okay, what's this guy's name again? Okay, what's going on with this person? You know that. That's why I think I had to do it. But now for pleasure, I mean that both of them are on Netflix. I have not desire. Comedies are so much more rewatchable to me sure than dramas, so I just kind of skip over.
Speaker 1: But the lesson that should be learned from that then is either bang these seasons out year and a year out because by dragging it out. When Game of Thrones says we put one hundred million dollars into every one of the last six episodes, yeah, and it's gonna take us two years because we're basically making them all little movies. And then that's what you churn out after making everybody wait and letting those expectations build. Same thing with Stranger Things. You let the expectations build and then all the sudden you have a collapse. If endgame wouldn't have stuck the landing. Hell, I'm skeptical. Is crap about Doomsday? I don't know if they're gonna be able to pull it off or not. Well, see these little trailers and I see how they're going to take the vision that Iron Man had an age of Ultron and they're saying that was an Infinity War that was actually Doomsday that he was seeing, and like they're tying it all in in a way that I'm like, God, damn it. How are these guys always so on point with this stuff?
Speaker 2: That? The other thing to is like that was that was ten years of anticipation with with where they and they knew they were golden, like they could they could do whatever they wanted with Doomsday. How long has it been since Endgame? Seven years?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, So it's not it hasn't been the as long. We've gotten fewer films.
Speaker 1: And that, Yeah, but they're less highly regarded movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's true.
Speaker 1: Yes, But so that's what it comes down to, you, I think is expectation. I think we both expected a little more out of this cast and out of this premise than what we ultimately ended up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just it couldn't decide what it was. Is this is this a meta thing with like, you know, where the Anaconda fans are gonna feel all the nostalgia from all these different little Maybe there was a bunch of Easter eggs I didn't pick up on.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. I would have saw them. Okay, so I would I saw them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And or is this a comedy where they kind of referenced it a little bit? Is it still horror?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I guess there are a couple elements of horror. What did you make of the Snake?
Speaker 1: I thought there were good scenes.
Speaker 2: I did not feel like and I don't know what the budget for this was. I don't know what the budget. Okay, I don't know what the budget for the original was either. But but my whole thing was, I didn't really feel like there was you know, we're talking about thirty years of advancement in CGI. Sure, I didn't really think it was all that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't impressive. It definitely looked more real than the ninety seven one, which is basically just a puppet. I think what bothered me the most. I guess this is maybe it's a quasi spoiler. I'll say it this way. There are very obvious characters that have very obvious plot armor, Like you're not going to be watching this movie wondering if the cast is going to get out of this movie.
Speaker 2: Not that type.
Speaker 1: It's not that type, whereas Anaconda creature features in general. Yeah, only two or three people are supposed to come out of this movie when it's all said and done. And this film starts introducing bad guys and people that are fodder, and you're like, Okay, I know who the snake's gonna kill. Yeah, and I know who the snake isn't going to kill, and you will not be surprised, Like there's not one moment where you'd be like what, that's not a thing that takes place. And my fav as far as somebody dying, yes, yes, yeah exactly. And I think we talked about before. My favorite off the Off the podcast, my favorite giant monster killing people movie of all time is a more recent one. I freaking love Skull Island and there's like five different Island is pretty good. That movie does a great job of like really making you invest in the characters, being like, oh, this guy just had a son at home. This is great. Oh, never mind the creature that looks like a log and camouflage itself. Just ate him and I like, you move on. There's a lot of Marvel people, absolutely, yeah, without a doubt. But like, there's just so many cool moments. Deep Blue Sea was another great one from the mid two thousands me too, Like there's a way you do these movies, and the way you do it is you put between nine and thirteen people in a situation, two or three of them make it out, and you have your moments along the way. This put five people in a situation and said, this is the entire cast and they're all none of them. If any of them die, there's a good chance you're gonna hate this movie. Still, you're not gonna let that.
Speaker 2: Well. Skull Island the other thing that they did too, it was like three different at least at least two but probably if I remember correctly, like three different plots going on at the same time. Yeah, Like you had Samuel Jackson's group, you had, right, you had Bree Larson and Tom Hidleston's group, and then you had the you know, John c Riley thing, and they kind of all came together. But then it was like, now the stakes are even higher because you know multiple people in each one of these groups yes.
Speaker 1: Are gonna go yeah, and there's none There's like two characters that are the jerk characters, like, oh, that guy's gonna die. Everyone else you're like, oh, I hope this guy makes it, and when he doesn't, she's like, oh my god, why'd you make me get that attached to him? And like And that's a skill, especially in this era of hyper good TV shows, where I often say it's hard to get me to care in those kind of movies because if I'm watching We'll just use Walking Dead as an example. If I've gotten to known characters over five, six, seven seasons and then I watched don oh my god, Yeah, oh I can't believe they killed that guy. Whereas in a movie, I'm watching it for an hour, it's like, oh, well that is shows. Yeah, sko Island got me there. This movie did not get me there, And at no point was I wondering if I was going to get there. I kind of knew what. It's kind of like late game Game of Thrones, where you knew Daryl and Carroll were untouchable. Yeah, and we might kill the people around them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, walking Dead, you knew her Game of Thrones. We know John Snow once it brought him back, is not dying right, So, like all of a sudden that tensions removed. I feel like that might be part of why the show started sucking later. This show, this movie was just a movie of plot armor. At no point were you wondering.
Speaker 2: So so let me ask you this. I'm gonna get back to the tropic thunder aspect. So Jack Black was in both of those movies, Traffic Thunder and then this one. Yeah, Now he took much more of a starring role in Traffic and Anaconda than he did in Traffic Thunder. I didn't even think about this until I was watching the credits. Did you notice a similarity in the closing credits to Anaconda? And I wonder? Now, I'm like, were they just trying to make like maybe a little bit of a poor man's tropic Thunder? And that's how they got Paul rodd On, That's how they got Steve's on On, That's how they got Tandy Newton. Now the difference in that is, you know, say what you will about Ben Stiller, but there was something to be said about how he carried that movie. Downey Junior got nominated for an Academy Awarding Blackface, which they referenced in the movie, right, didn't they reference in the movie? Yeah, and then you had Jack Black being a bit player. But then you had Nick Nolty, Danny McBride, Tom freaking Cruise Bill here yet all these other guys. So this was never gonna live up to that. No, obviously, I'm sure the budget was much smaller as well, but that was the I got very big tropic thunder vibes, and I was watching that, I'm like, you know, maybe this this was intended to be something else to harken to that that totally missed me, like, and obviously missed you because you didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't even And for the record, I looked it up before I went, and I normally don't do that. Rotten Tomatoes audiences are over seventy percent. This is what I think we're not accounting for. Maybe my cynicism is wearing off on you a little bit. The rud black charm does charm. A lot of America critics were like, no, it's under fifty percent, which, in Ben Kommono's world, critics under fifty and audiences is seventy. I'm like, oh, this is gonna be a cool movie. Like that is absolutely my attitude. That is not how I can like. This is probably the most disappointed I've ever been with those metrics on a Rotten Tomatoes score, because normally critics are the pretentious ones. And I even read some of the reviews and they said kind of how I feel about it. They were like, yeah, rud and black or charming, but it's not enough to make up for a lot of the flaws in this movie. And that's kind of how I started this whole podcast off, and it is the appropriate assessment. Like it was never too scary, it was never too funny, it was never too dramatic. And I'll be honest, you know, I love this plot point in movies. There was a little bit of good fortune in there. There's a little bit it's the uh, go achieve your dreams and be able to afford your life and do these things, and it felt very real and as per usual, I resonated very much with Paul Rudd's attitudes in a lot of ways throughout that movie when he was having more human elements, and I think if I weren't kind of into those scenes of the movie, I probably would have been way less interested than I already am in what the film was. But I found his character arc to be incredibly interesting. But then they just make it a joke by the end of it. I'm not gonna spoil how but like they completely undercut any kind of unlike Good Fortune, where Azaz ends up going back to living in a life of you know, traditional and trying to work his way out of it. They just kind of give Paul, we're giving spoilers now, and it's it's six months old over yourself.
Speaker 2: Paul Rudd can be very funny. Yeah, he was very funny in Anchorman. He was very funny in forty year Old Virgin. This type of character was too sugary sweet. Yeah, you need a little bit of that spice. De gaff Uh, I'm trying to think of the best way to say it. This this de gaff rough around the edges type character, which is what he was. Yeah, in in those two films, I think, uh, knocked up, this is forty you know, Yeah, there was a little this It just it seemed like it was so cookie cutter and like not a believe I'm not gonna say not a believable character, but just to to to Chris evansish, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and and.
Speaker 2: Paul that's not Paul Jack Black, same thing. And I'm going to reiterate this point too. I think he's really good when the focus is on physical comedy, line delivery, and there was just too much emotional weight that he had to carry around mostly the first half of the movie for me to really get into his character.
Speaker 1: Do you think we'd be laughing? And like, I don't want to sound careless here, because.
Speaker 2: Before he asked me this, I'm gonna tell you this right now. I don't think there's any casting on planet Earth that would have saved the writing in this movie.
Speaker 1: I agree. I totally agree if he were not taken away from us far too early, do you think we'd still be laughing at if he didn't evolve it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So Leo is a big huge I mean Leo and Alex, I mean they love Farley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he only has four movies, like we all quote.
Speaker 2: And I'll say this, I think he was very funny. He was something we had never seen before, at least I mean maybe John Belushi but I mean I grew up with Chris Farley. I didn't grow up with with John Belus me too, Yeah, exactly, and so so he was this revolutionary guy. I thought Tommy Boy was great. Black Sheep was not.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, in my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I did not care for that movie.
Speaker 1: I actually think it's better than Tommy Boy.
Speaker 2: Listen, what did you turn into a hipster all of a sudden? What does what know? Black Sheep was better than me?
Speaker 1: Hoff Jack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, I'm not saying there was no moments like they had its moments.
Speaker 1: No one pulls over on the shoulder.
Speaker 2: It's so you know what, I just realized Tim Tim Matheson was in that movie and he got to work with Belushi and Farley. That list probably is not very probably not anyway, yea, Beverly Hills, Ninja, it's whatever. And then what was the Almost Heroes with Matthew Perry, which was not completely forgettable. So so, and I've said, I say, Jack Black, So here's the thing. It's what I want to bring back to before pretty back to check Blaye. Yeah, regarding Farley, and I've said this before on the show, I used to think like the late eighties early nineties was my favorite SNL cast, you know. And it was a star studded cast that was like the Bad Boys era, right, you know. And I go back and I watch some of those skits and yeah, Farley's okay, but you know there is a lot of them where it he just missed like the comedy, just missed the audience and missed me or whatever. I've often said this about Kurt Cobain, how revolutionary he was in the big role he played in the grunge movement in the late eighties early to mid nineties. Sure, and then he allegedly kills himself, which I'm sure he did, by the way, I don't want to start that, yeah, rabbit hole, I will or fall into that. But he kills himself in the mid nineties, and Rolling Stone did a piece on the thirtieth anniversary I think it was twenty fifth or thirtieth anniversary of his death, and they were they kind of wondered what he would be like today, what kind of music he'd be making, what the what the status or what what where grunge music would be in the sure whatever you call it the zeitgeist, right, And it's my contention that he they those guys were so good and went out on top. There would there would have been Nirvana fatigue. Yes, there would have been Chris Farley fatigue. Yeah, there probably would have been too Chris Farley comebacks by now, right if if he was still alive? Right? And with Jack Black, are we kind of seeing another com I mean, like we saw the Kung Fu Panda thing has been huge for him.
Speaker 1: Just in the last twelve months. He's had the Minecraft's movie. He's a voice of.
Speaker 2: Bowser, and I wonder if we're seeing his second comeback too.
Speaker 1: But he's the same guy. It's not like he's evolved.
Speaker 2: No, it's just it's just fatigue. Yeah, and and uh then we're like, oh yeah, Jack, he's really funny. And then my wife, actually she says the two people she cannot stand as far as Hollywood actors go, and she'll never see a movie with him, Jack Black and Seth Green. Can't stand either one of them. Yeah, she's just grossed out by both.
Speaker 1: Fun fact, there was a large stretch of my life where Jack Black was on my list too. I used to be a hater and then I kind of grew once I found Tenacious Dye and I heard him in that then I kind of got it, like I understood what he was at that point. I'm like, oh, he's actually brilliant. Now I understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does wear on me. Yeah, every now and then. I mean there's certain.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes you just need a roll. I used to hate Tracy Morgan, Like why do people find this guy funny? I still and then I saw thirty Rock and I'm like, oh, he's a genius.
Speaker 2: My bad. I don't know. I don't know if he's a genius, but but he's talented. He's a talented guy. But yeah, that's another that's another guy. I never really he's all right, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, getting back to the whole aspect of of of Jack Black, I think that this maybe was a like not the crescendo of the wave with you mentioned like Minecraft yeah, and you mentioned the Mario thing yeah, And now this is just he's kind of riding that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he gets there will be five more Marios and there will be three more Minecrafts, like he'll work for the rest of his life, but I don't know how many more lead rules.
Speaker 2: Maybe this was just to break it up for him too. Yeah, and you know, just like I don't want to sit here and do Mario stuff. I don't want to sit here and do Minecraft. Maybe it was a favor. Maybe maybe it was a favor. I don't know, I have no isn't it weird? Like you know, we this is what this, this edition of the podcast has come to. How did this get made? Why did this get made? You know, like, I don't think we've ever.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't believe you're here. I expect, like because I know this isn't your type of movie to begin with, but like you're normally more rosy.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the way you framed it. We're gonna do Avatar, which I was not looking for. Yeah, neither of us were. And then you were like, well what about Anna ConA. I'm like, yes, right. And I even had like a couple of my my buddies like posted in group chats the trailer for this like this looks awesome, this looks on and maybe that raised my expectations a little bit. Two like it's these expectations are so difficult to not have going in either high or low, good or bad.
Speaker 1: I'll even take you one step further. John Jordan sent me the trailer, he said this looks great, and I got halfway through and stopped watching. I was like, dude, what the hell's wrong with you? Ana Conda but a comedy because the first half of the trailer plays like they're making the movie. The other shoot doesn't drop that they actually lived through the Ana Condom movie. And I was like, oh, this is gonna be great, Like I like that kind of he made me rewatch it. And then when I saw the whole thing, that's when I was there.
Speaker 2: That's what they should they should have put in at Like the front of that trailer is Paul Rudd announcing he has the rights to Anna Conda. Yeah, I mean that would have that would have been Ultimately doesn't change the end product.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it does not, And uh yeah, I was heavily disappointed and like, just I can feel we're running out of steam on it. But just to put a bow on it, because I'm a big horror comedy guy. To me, the pinnacle is nineteen.
Speaker 2: Shot of the Dead.
Speaker 1: Eh, I'll be I find them funny, They're good. I think there's definitely quotable lines. To me, the funniest slash and again skewed because I was young. The funniest, slashed scariest movie that I have seen that blended them both together so well was nineteen ninety eight Spride of Chucky, And there's an element of like, there's moments whe we're like, I don't know what's gonna happen, mixed with butt butt gut busting laughter with some of the lines that they use in that movie, and it kind of it is such a high standard. John Ritter, Jennifer Tilly, like there's a solid cast in Rider.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. He was actually I was thinking, like his voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's the dad. Yeah, Catherine Heigel is the main girl who has disappeared from Hollywood for reasons we do know. Yeah, but in any event, like that's kind of like my holy grail of like, no, this is achievable. And I think a lot of horror comedy misses the mark. If you watch Honest trailers on YouTube, one of the best descriptions I've ever seen the Leprechaun movies with Warrick Davis. They say, a horror comedy there's neither funny nor scary, and like that's nor believe where they end up falling and so like there are examples Tucker and Dale Versus Evil fucking hilarious, like there's there's there's movies that do it right, and to have a list comedic actors fall so flat. I don't know if it was mailed in. I don't know if it was a paycheck. I don't know if they thought it was so much funnier than it was.
Speaker 2: I don't know if maybe the movies you mentioned definitely have more much greater emphasis on the horror aspect than this one did.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was this was more comedy than horror. Yeah, and and those Tucker and Dale Versus Evil.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know, now I think about it, I mentioned traffic Thunder reminded me of not lean on me?
Speaker 1: Did I say lean on me?
Speaker 2: Okay? And stand by me? And then the other one I just thought of that. There's similarities to is Oh God, I just had it, now stand by me. It's another like, oh grown ups. There's a little bit of a grown ups aspect to this as well, which I don't think any of those, any of these actors were.
Speaker 1: In none of that. That's the Adam sandler bergre than those. Yeah, you can even read the text I said to my brother. He said, how was Anna Konda? I said, if you see it, watch the first team first fifteen minutes and turn it off. I did find the first fifteen minutes engaging, and then after that I was completely interested.
Speaker 2: I told Sturfry at work, I said, you know, I watched Anna Conda last night. He's like, oh really, and his eyes lit up.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, it's just now He's like, what really, I'm like, yeah, it's just I don't know, man, And I wanted to like it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to like it too. Yeah, I thought this is gonna be I mean, I love big monsters, I love comedy. Jack Black and Steve's on together. Yeah, sign me up.
Speaker 1: Paul Rudd in his ageless face, I'm noticing age in it now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can tell. It's yeah. I mean it's everybody jokes about that. He looks good for his age, but you can tell. I mean, dude, dude's fifty plus or whatever.
Speaker 1: Remember that and that Pull three when Man's corpse is in the body. He's like, Paul finally aged. Yeah, it's very cool.
Speaker 2: So did you see the The X Men trailer? Then? For Doomsday? I think there's one more that's coming out in the next week or so.
Speaker 1: So I caught the Guatemalan or whatever South American Yeah trailer, but it was dubbed in English, so I could still see what happened. Uh uh, And I caught it before Twitter took it off because it had been leaked. It's not worth getting excited.
Speaker 2: Was Wolverine in that one?
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's not even x men?
Speaker 2: So yeah, the one, the one that Marvel posted had X men in it on on their YouTube.
Speaker 1: Oh, the one with Charles Xavier and Cyclops and all that. And there's another one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know there was another.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I thought you just said there's another one.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one I saw on TikTok and it looked like it was real like people were tapically, you know, like using their phones to recorded, and Wolverine was in it. But then I saw the one that Marvel posted, Yeah, and he was not in it.
Speaker 1: See. I saw that that one that got leaked back during Christmas break. I saw it when it was a leaked vot Pyclops one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there was one that just got leaked yesterday of the fan of Ben Grimm meeting Shurry in Wakanda. Oh really, Yeah, but that just got pulled off the internet because it wasn't supposed to be out yet. And what's funny is black Panther was introduced in Fantastic four, so that's gonna be a huge moment for a lot of market.
Speaker 2: I did not realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, uh so the other people that get it will be very excited. Sorry for the spoilers there. That'll be dropping shortly, I'm sure. But nevertheless, Uh, do I do this? Do I rate this lower than him? Because I might rate it lower than him, and I'm gonna feel dirty. I don't remember what you rated five. Yeah, I'm not going to go lower than five. Yeah, I'm going to do five and a half for this. I think I might have to go four and a half just based on expectations and uh.
Speaker 2: We said we're not going to try to base it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, I'll give it a five even that's the best I can do. It's definitely not six. As I said in the very first episode. Six means if I were watching it in my house, I wouldn't have started scrolling on my iPad. Well it was on, and I definitely would have been scrolling. Yeah, during this movie before it were over. So I was scrolling in the theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just there. It was. It was not engaging. It was not you know, if you.
Speaker 1: Do see it, you want to laugh. The uh staff at the theater that I used that I refuse to say their name because they won't pay me to came up to me instead, like I bought the tickets, I walked away, and the ticket taker chased me down in line to get the snacks and to tell me just so you know, there's a mid credit scene and you don't want to miss that, so stay through anaconda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think if I stayed through it?
Speaker 1: Did you stay through like the oh hold on?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, And this is the one guy I didn't bring up that I want to ask you about. Yeah. Do you think he was funny? Handler there?
Speaker 1: There was a moment or two, but by and large it was more sad than anything else.
Speaker 2: Did you am I remembering the mid credits scene? Okay, yeah, I did see it. Yeah. I feel like he was one of these guys that like, this is like his Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just yeah, not enough there. Oh, No, absolutely, not to me. I'll be real not to be that guy. But it felt a bit outdated in the sense that it was almost like, Hey, look at this foreigner and is weird connection with snakes? It's like, you know what I mean, Like that's what the comedy was.
Speaker 2: You know, you know who they probably could have got to play that role instead that Jason Siegel. Yeah, that could have been very good. Could have been very funny. Yes, could especially Siegel with an awful accent. That could have been really good. Before we sign off, I want to bring this up because there's a ton of stuff that I always say I'll tell you off air, and then I forget to tell you. Yeah, Bohemian Rhapsody. Was watching it again last night and I was looking at because the guys that played the other members at Queen God, did they look just like I mean? And so the guy who played John Deacon looked just like him, right, And so I'm researching this and I'm like, oh, who is this guy? And I looked him up. Did you see Bohemian Rhapsody?
Speaker 1: Saw yeah one time?
Speaker 2: So John Deacon in Queen I want to make sure you know who I'm talking about, not the drummer.
Speaker 1: Okay, not the guitarist.
Speaker 2: With the long hair, Brian May.
Speaker 1: The other guy in Queen got it? Okay, Yeah, that actor.
Speaker 2: Was Timmy from Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Get out of here, blowing your mind right, Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Wow, when I gave up, Yeah, I got But he's He's been in a ton of other stuff. He was in g I Joe Retaliation, he was Dustin Moskowitz in the Social Network. Yeah, I mean he he I mean, good for him. Yeah, and I guess he made a ca Now you might remember this. He made a cameo in the second Jurassic Park Lost World. Do you remember this at all?
Speaker 1: I don't speak.
Speaker 2: He said this was Spielberg's college gift to him because that helped pay for his college NYU or whatever. Yeah, but I was blown away by how much stuff he's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for wild That's a nice positive note to end on and a perfect a very un brand for off topic. Yeah, exactly is it is it? Can we do two creature features in a row?
Speaker 2: Or yeah? Cool? So so I was going to ask you here, So number one, what we should have done instead of anaconda Hindsights twenty twenty is this. I think it was called Mickey Supreme. Oh yeah, okay, that would have been a good one. So we could do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could.
Speaker 2: Also do oh god, the Joel Bluth will Arnow, Oh yeah, this thing on? Is this thing on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We could do that on that piques my interest?
Speaker 2: Or Primate, yeah, which which I would assume that's what you'd want to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm fine with any of them. Primate did debut it in ninety two by audiences people are loving me.
Speaker 2: I think we probably have to do Primate.
Speaker 1: Then it looks good as shit.
Speaker 2: So is that is that out this weekend?
Speaker 1: It's h I think it.
Speaker 2: I think it actually came out Friday, this past Friday. I think because is this thing on comes out this Friday?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Mickey Supreme has been out since Christmas? Yeah, So so.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you want to do that one, I don't know how much longer we have to catch it. I'd have to see. Because I like the movies to be on in like the early to mid afternoons, I can conveniently do it, so as long as there's we can do this off the air. But I think one of those movies.
Speaker 2: Let's do the teas right now, let's do Primate, okay, and then we'll we'll because there's gonna be new movies that are coming out and if we miss.
Speaker 1: One, body do I have some movies? So that's why I'm willing to sacrifice.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, let's I want to do stuff that we want to do, right and if there's stuff that we're ok because I'm it's not like I'm dying to see Mickey Supreme or is this thing on? Right?
Speaker 1: Is this thing on? Does peau my interest?
Speaker 2: So well, that can do that after Prime because it's not even it's not even out yet.
Speaker 1: I would like to see that one. Mickey Supreme similar what you said, I'd see it. It seems like it's like a classic movie. But uh, Peyton.
Speaker 2: Manning, by the way, yeah, is in is this thing on?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he has a he has a role and is.
Speaker 1: This thing see? I love because you always hear there's like the dark side of comedy, and it seems like that's what this is going to focus on. I could be completely fitting in blanks.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm I'm kind of getting some fifty to fifty vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this and even in the trailer, he says I thought this was a comedy, like I feel like it's not going to be super funny.
Speaker 2: Fifty to fifty and then funny people. Yeah yeah, is that Seth Rogan and Adam Sandler. Yeah, that's the other one that this kind of like I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then I'll be good, I think.
Speaker 2: But yeah from Primate this coming week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just I know we're looking way for in advance, but a lot of new trailers are dropping, and there's this movie Whistle coming out February sixth, not negotiable, So what is it? That's why I'm willing to they come across this Aztec whistle and if you blow and it death follows you. It looks so good, I'll send you the trailer.
Speaker 2: Is there anybody of note?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't think so, which means even better.
Speaker 2: But like like, well, I have to do it right away because this might not be in theaters.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no, I'm telling you. My spider senses are going off. I think this is an underrated gem that I think in like a year, everyone's gonna be talking about Whistle. Like I'm telling you. When I'm watching, like, oh wow, Okay, like this, I feel like just the imagery, the way the trailers shot, they might be they might be snooker in me. I don't know, but I got a good feeling. I'll send you the trailer.
Speaker 2: Listen, Yeah, send me the trailer.
Speaker 1: That's not going to compromise on Primate. If you want to, don't make it.
Speaker 2: Don't make it seem like this is a because you don't. Okay, I honestly don't care between these three.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because you even texted me about Primate, and I was so excited when you.
Speaker 2: I texted you because you're the first person I thought about. I saw that, I'm like, oh god.
Speaker 1: We both saw the same trailers on during the NFL game. I'm like, oh, I'd love to see that movie for the podcast, And you texted me. I'm like, oh my god, this is hid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, good Primate next week. This movie sucks, don't see it in theaters. Well next week