Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's nit coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started at the five o'clock hour here on a Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Thanks for hanging with us.
Speaker 2: That is coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety two hours down with one more to go. Another reminder, make sure you sign up if you have not yet to become a member of the Thornton's or Freshman Awards program. You'll save money at the gas pump. And you know you have to get gas, right unless I guess you have an electric vehicle, and I know that those are becoming, you know, more popular, but i'd stay. I would say the vast majority of vehicles on the road are still needing gasoline. So it's a trip you're gonna have to make again unless you are one of those people with an electric vehicle. So if you could save money every time you get gas, why wouldn't you make it a point to stop in at Thornton's where you're saving money, And that's likely going to lead to you maybe going inside Thornton's after you set the pump or maybe after you get gas, and then you'll see all the great options they have when it comes to food items and it's just the best. So again, you download the app on your Android, your autphone, if you have a smartphone, you can get the app. It's free, and I think you will be happy that you became a member. And we're we're we're gonna be teammates because I'm a member, you're a member. You know we're on the same team. So shout out to to Thornton's sorry. If you guys want to join us on the show, you can a lot of good texts coming in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. If you guys would like to chime in, questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, sendemarway five O two six five three zero seven ninety. Again five O two six five three zero seven ninety it's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. So for those just now joining us, I suppose some news that is worth sharing for those of you that may not have seen this news just yet, but Jeff Brohm appears to have landed his first addition in the transfer portal, and this is somebody that he's certainly familiar with A former player.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I don't Yeah, I guess he would have.
Speaker 2: He was at Purdue for three years, so he would have played for Jeff at least at least once. But yeah, they've landed the first transfer so far, and that is a offensive lineman who comes from Purdue. The young man's name is Mohammaane Mussa, again a three year starter on the O line for Purdue. And then also we now know that Jacorey Brooks is going to be declaring for the NFL Draft. It was one of those big graphics that a lot of these guys put out with a statement, and I didn't think he had any eligibility left, which doesn't look like he does, but you never know. I feel like if guys just I kind of feel like, if guys just don't leave college and just hang out and see if anybody notices, they might be able to get away with it. I mean not really, but like I kind of wouldn't be totally shocked if that did happen, given the fact that, like the NAA seems to not really be enforcing a whole lot, and anytime they do try to you know, put their foot down and enforce something it doesn't seem to go in their favor. But he is going to go to the NFL draft, and I suppose by announcing that it's really more than anything, a sign that he is not going to play in the bowl game. And I don't know that anybody really need, like what is the protocol here? What is the expected communication to the fans? And maybe we're not entitled to it, but you know, Jeff did talk did a He had a press conference after the bowl announcement and and said he doesn't have a clue who is and who is not going to play in the bowl game, which I believe him.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that they haven't had any real conversations about that with the majority of the roster. But there are guys that, like, I just don't expect to play because you know, I mean, if they want to play, great, But if you are moving on and you want to play in the NFL, I don't really see this as a game for you to benefit, right, I mean I guess you could claim, well, if they put out some really good film and you know, in this bowl game against Washington, that could really improve their draft stock, but I don't, I mean maybe, I mean, I guess there's a chance that could happen, But I feel like, and I you know, I wish guys would always I wish it wasn't even in anybody's mind and not play a game when your team is in action. But I feel like Leonard Fournett when he was at LSU, was kind of the first big name to just decide, yeah, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna do that. And I think it was against Yeah, it was a Louisville game. They played Louisville in that twenty sixteen Bowl game down in Florida. So I mean, I now, you know, expect guys not to play and don't blame them at all, and that's just kind of where we are. So there are a handful of guys on this team that have exhausted their eligibility, like Quincy Riley and Tyler Shuck, and I think those guys have a chance to play in the NFL. Obviously, Quincy Riley will be drafted. Tyler Shuck, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be shocked by any means if he ends up being able to find an NFL home and hang out for a little while there in the league. But you know, is there going to be some type of at some point, is there going to be some announcement that fans and I don't just mean Louisville fans, I mean college football fans, Like, is there some kind of a protocol to see who in fact is playing and who is not playing in the bowl game. I mean, maybe it can be an individual thing where the program puts out a press release notifying people. It's just, you know, it's become such an expectation for guys to sit out bowl games, but is it really worthy of like a full on press release for certain guys. It's just, you know, it's it. I'm happy that that, you know, bowl games are still around. I'd rather have them than not. But I get the sense that we are collectively college football fans really across the country, if you're not somebody that is rooting for a team that's in the college football playoff, like we think we kind of all are treating these things the same way, right, Like, it doesn't like a win or a loss in a bowl game is no longer viewed as something that really has a big impact on how you view your season because of obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not you.
Speaker 2: You know, if you get out, go out there and get a big win, and then you know, hell yeah. But you also kind of deep down know that you're probably not playing an opponent that was at full strength because they probably had guys that opted out. And if you go out in a bowl game and you don't play well and you lose, it's not what you want. You're probably not happy about it, but like you probably can't even fake the energy to be totally mad at your team because you're probably watching guys that didn't play a ton of reps this year because you know they're now getting opportunities because the other guys chose not to play. So, look, I'm gonna watch Louisvill's bowl game against Washington in the Sun Bowl, but I as of now have no clue who's going to be playing, and you know, we'll have to just have to just wait and see. All right, So this, Uh, I've been refreshing Twitter throughout the show. I tend to do that, you know, every day, just because that is where I get most of my information, which probably isn't a good thing to tell to share with you, guys, because not only are you probably well aware of it, but you hear me say it often. Like Twitter is become like this platform that you really, you know, even if you see something that is legit and breaking news. At least for me, I'm kind of now programmed to just assume that it's prob that I need to just triple check to see if this is real, because it's so easy for misinformation to be, you know, to be spread on that platform. And there are people who are you know, not to say they're super naive, but I think you could. You can be someone that is not naive and completely get got in a way that you didn't used to be able to. So the Bill Belichick stuff, well, there was a report earlier from somebody that you know is a reputable reporter. I can't think of exactly what his name is, but I'll pull it up here to see if I can see if he's got any updates. But like the Bill Belichick to North Carolina, the fact that that's real, like that they're literally considered in hiring him and he apparently is very interested in the job. I just still can't can't make any sense of it. Apparently he wants to show that he can be successful as a football coach, not at the NFL level, and he wants to show that he can succeed without Tom Brady. I mean that that would make sense. But when we were talking earlier, was Zach Barnett a football scoop. I thought he made a really good point, and that was that if he can bring over his son to be the defensive coordinator and I'm not even sure where he's coaching now. I know his son is currently a DC at the college level somewhere, but wherever, like, bring him over, and then if Belichick decides to move on and go to the NFL after a few years or just you know, retire because he's in his seventies, then he can hand the job off to his son. That's the first scenario that would make sense as to why he wants to do this. Anything else, like, you know, the whole Brady thing, Like really, that's you think people are going to like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't even I don't know what Bill could.
Speaker 2: Do other than going to the NFL and winning multiple Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: I don't know what he could do to have people.
Speaker 2: He wasn't benefiting from Brady more than Brady was benefiting from him. Now the reality is they both benefited from each other. Both are phenomenal, but they split up. Tom Brady went to Tampa and won a Super Bowl. Bill Belichick fell apart, and the whole I mean, the Patriots really have missed I mean, they missed Tom, there's no doubt about that. But then, you know, even though it's his first year, like, the Patriots are in a terrible place right now, and there's talk that they may get rid of their coach after just one year if Robert Kraft is, you know, is not satisfied with with the plan and the vision they have to get this thing turned around. So like, I just the whole Brady thing, I get it because you know, clearly those two guys are very prideful and and and right now there's no doubt Brady looks like he was you know, he was a bigger factor in their success than Belichick was. But I just can't I can't imagine, Yeah, I'm gonna go take the job at North Carolina and coaching college football, something I've never done before, or at least not in the last forty years, and that'll that'll show people it wasn't just Tom, you know, I was a factor in it, Like it just it just sounds so not real, but again it is real, meaning that he's he's he's being considered for the job, and there was one report that said that it's gonna be him, but that's not been confirmed and as of now, it doesn't look like there's anything official. So the new world of college athletics when it comes to nil and managing your roster and trying to make sure guys that you want to keep around don't hit the portal, work in the portal to go, try to get players to make you better. Like we talk about this all the time in between the lines when I watch football and basketball, because those are the sports when it comes to college athletics that I watch more than really anything. I mean, I know we're in a new world, but like it's not something that stands out when I'm watching. Occasionally I'll see somebody and I'm like, oh, wow, I forgot that guy was still around in college. What is this is third team in three years? Like those are moments when watching that make me realize, wow, this is this is a different world. But outside of that, like the coverage of it, keeping up with it. It is an entirely new world, a new ballgame, and coaches have made it quite clear that the job that they were hired to do, unless I guess you were hired, you know, unless you're like a new head coach, which, by the way, Kenny Dillingham at Arizona State, he seems to be. Like I mean, first of all, he's one of the youngest guys out there in the game. He's got Arizona State in the playoff already, Like he's phenomenal, he's got all the momentum right now. But he's somebody that, like when he became a head coach for the first time, we were already in this new world. Everybody else, like the job changed when you already had the gig. So you know, it is different, and they complain about it a lot, and I get it, like it is different. I also don't have a lot of sympathy for them, because, as I've said many times, you know, these guys, some of them are the most are the highest paid employees in their state. Right, these coaches that make a ton of money, they could be terrible and lose games, they still don't have to worry about getting their paychecks because that's just how these contracts are put together. So you know, it is a new world and there are certain I think personality traits if you will, that can really benefit you in this new world because you can't just be a drill sergeant. You have to manage egos. It's really more so than ever about relationships. And I'm just sitting here thinking as North Carolina is looking to find a new head coach because it didn't work out with me Mac Brown for a variety of reasons, but maybe one because you know, he's one hundred years old and it's hard for him to relate to college kids or high school kids these recruiting I have no clue if that's really what went wrong with Mac Brown, but clearly he was underwhelming. So to know how important all that is right now and go hire Bill Belichick who I'm not sure anybody Bill Belichick, who is he relatable to? He's a football robot. Now he has shown a little bit of personality, and actually, no, I lied, I wouldn't call it personality. He has shown signs that like he's human, I mean, like a laugh or you know the fact that he's dating some chick that's twelve years younger than me. I mean that's like, that's what makes him seem I don't know if that makes him seem human, but you know what I mean, Like he I find it hard to believe he'd be the guy that you think can really go out there and relate to young people and get them motivated to come and play for him. Now, he does have a lot of Super Bowl rings. He's Bill Belichick, but like, is that enough? I just think if I, if I was a fly, I would love to be a fly on the wall in these in these meeting rooms or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe it's a zoom call.
Speaker 2: I don't know the people that have say so at North Carolina, the people who have influence on this decision as far as who is going to be their their head coach. I mean I feel like they're like, well, how could we not we have a chance to hire Bill Belichick? Why in the world would we not do it? It's Bill Belichick. But also you're thinking to yourself, like, is this maybe the worst possible fit ever? Like, I don't know, it hasn't happened yet, it's not official, but it's something I refuse, like I refuse to believe is real until I see him on the sidelines coaching, or I guess, honestly probably see him at the press conference being introduced as the new head coach for North Carolina. All right, let's see real quick before we get to our first break here in the five o'clock hour. This this had been rumored to be a real possibility for a while and then it actually happened today. And that is the number one record in America deciding he wants to play his college basketball at BYU. Aj Da Bansta. I think I'm saying that correct. Again, he's the number one player in America. I don't know if he's got the same kind of like hype that you see with guys that you saw with guys like Cooper Flagg, because that was really kind of next level. But you know, he's somebody that could pick anywhere he wants to go to school. He chose BYU, and there are some reports that he got up to seven million dollars to go to BYU, And if that's the case, then you know it makes sense. I'm sure there's no other school that is willing to pay seven million dollars for one basketball player who is clearly good is going to give you a nice brand bump because he chose your school, but like he's only going to be there one year, I would imagine, So, BYU, if they've got that money, then you know, good for them now. I also don't know if that number is real or not, because I think a lot of these numbers you hear about recruits as far as what they're getting from nil or I think it's exaggerated. But coaches that are pursuing a player of this caliber that usually does that usually has a pretty good success rate, right the Dukes, the Kentucky's, the I guess the arkansass now, and I guess more than anything, it's Cali Perry Bill self. I mean, think about all the think about the programs who always get really not anybody they want, but they don't miss often, right, and if they lose a player, it's usually to another one of those programs I just mentioned, because you typically see the best players in the country go to the same schools, not all the time. Certainly this isn't what happened here. BYU, I mean they're in the first year of their new head coach, which, by the way, he's a guy that apparently people think has a bright future. But you know this is random, right, so the money makes total sense. But if you are somebody like a Bill Self or a John Calipari or a John Shire, like, it makes sense for you to add a million to that number every time it comes up, because they'll make it make sense as to why you didn't lose a recruit. You just couldn't justify the money and nobody would pay that like that that's going to happen. And again, the nil world being such a mystery, it gives these coaches the opportunity to at times sort of spin it in whatever way makes them look less bad. You know. For example, like when Mark Mark Stoops lost to Georgia last year by a billion, that's when he made the pony up comment like, hey, if you guys don't like losing, why don't you pony up and give us money? We can go get those kind of players. And now clearly that backfired on him. Is that's really snowball for him. But you know you can you can do that when it comes to a big time amount of money coming in from a certain school and if you lose them, you can say, well what are you gonna do? Maybe maybe you don't blame your fans, but you can just say, hey, we didn't lose them, we just we couldn't pay that. But then there's also some schools like Ryan Day at Ohio State. You know he is, he's somebody that there's I mean, it's it's all out there. They put every dime they could round up into building maybe their best roster they've ever had at Ohio State. They went out and hired Chip Kelly to be the OC. Ryan Day makes a ton of money as it is, and they don't have a lot to show for it right now. That's why I think if they end up losing in the first round of this college football playoff, like, I don't know how he survives.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 2: But anyways, I bring up the big time recruit here going to Byu, the number one player in America. I think this is one of the few examples to where you know, you have a really unexpected, never before seen commitment from a kid and it's just because of money. Now, I don't want to act like, well, okay, I will. I mean, let's say everybody has the same level of money. I don't know if Byu is getting this kid over other schools. Now, maybe I'm wrong because again the I think it's Kevin Young is the coach of BYU. He's I think a former assistant coach with the Phoenix Suns. Like he's got a lot of connections in the NBA. That's where he came from. And you know, maybe he does get it in there at BYU. But you know there are since since we've been in this new world where players can jump around from team to team and money clearly is a big factor and why they you know, why they decide to go to what school they decide to go to. I still don't know if we've seen like a big time result where you can say, well, here you go, that's what you get when it comes to NIL, like what school has landed? Like I know Tennessee their young quarterback, like apparently he got an insane amount of money, But Tennessee's Tennessee, Like they're not what they once were.
Speaker 3: But it's not BYU. When it comes to basketball.
Speaker 2: You know, TCU they made the National Championship Game a couple of years ago, which still just doesn't seem real. But that had nothing to do with NIL, Like that was just or the poor I mean, I guess the portal did help them, but like that was just random. I still think Miami making the Final four with Larrenega, which certainly will be his last Final four as Miami stinks out loud this year again. But when they made the Final four and they went out and bought Nigel Pack and I can't think of the young man's name who spent a couple of years at Miami and now he's a Baylor big guy who started his career at Arkansas State. Nor chatte Mere is his name. Like that to me is like the only result I can think. Okay, well, yeah, they had a big time in il Booster and he was I mean, he was the one putting out contracts as far as how much money these guys were making, putting it all out there for everybody to see. And you know, without those two players, it's hard to imagine them making a final four. So like they bought a duo that got them to a final four. Other than that, when it comes to, you know, the ultimate accomplishment in college sports, like winning national championships, making runs to the final four, making it to the college football Playoff, you know, I really don't know if we've seen somebody be able to use these new you know, these new ways to build your roster with guys being able to leave and have free agency and money. Like I don't know if we've had a huge payoff just yet for somebody, but again, I think the number one player in America choosing to go to BYU to play basketball. I think that's that's one of the few examples that we have at this point. All right, quick break, we'll take a we'll come back on the other side, and not a whole lot of time left here before we wrap it up, but a lot I want to get into. We do have an opening spread here in this UTEP Louisville game tomorrow night, Louisville favored by fourteen and a half points. And also when it comes to the to Louisville's roster for next year in football, I really do believe that you can go out and get really, really good players, and maybe you build a roster in the portal that is so impressive that everybody's got your preseason top fifteen or something like that. I'm not saying that happens, but like it could happen. But I still think there's no scenario where the biggest win for Louisville this offseason is not getting back Isaac Brown and Duke Watson and those guys, as you know, had really impressive freshman seasons. But I think there's some numbers here that may make you realize they were probably even more special than you realize.
Speaker 3: So well, get to all that.
Speaker 2: And on the Kentucky side, I know that they feel like flipping their roster in the portal is what's going to get them heading.
Speaker 3: In the right direction.
Speaker 2: But man, they're losing everybody, and I know they don't believe that all these guys were like a cancer to the locker room. So getting rid of talented players that other schools are going to want, Yeah, that's how Stoops is gonna get it fixed. I mean, I hope you can sense the starcass in there right quick break, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Take it to six o'clock right here. Coffee company, feel my Thoorts on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Your listing does coffee in company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and company rolling along here on a gloomy in Chili Tuesday evening. I can never find my footing whenever it comes to unnecessarily telling you what time of the day it is. I don't know if it's just something that has been emphasized so much in live broadcasting, but like, you guys know what time of the day it is.
Speaker 3: I don't need to tell you.
Speaker 2: But yet I'm like, and it's it's a it's a Tuesday afternoon, but like it's dark outside and it's cold, and it doesn't feel like afternoon. It feels like evening, which we did get random warmer weather the last couple of days, but it looks like the cooler temperatures are on the way, which is you know, is a sad thing for a lot of people because they hate cold weather. I don't mind cold weather as much as as others. But I guess I'm getting soft because I now find myself just being miserable. But a lot of it is because my heat in my car is not working well. It's working but not working well. I can't blame autos on for this one. This is something that I don't know what led to this, but I am taking it to get looked at on Thursday, so hopefully they get that they get that figured out for me. But anyways, it's Tuesday, it's five thirty four. If you did not know, now you do. Also, Fellas, if you did not know about bluetoo, let me tell you about bluecho because blue Choo is something that cannot only make something that you probably already enjoy even better. And I'm talking about sex.
Speaker 3: Sex.
Speaker 2: It's not just for those that you know might need a little extra off in the bedroom. It's also for those who just want to have a better experience, not only for themselves but for their partner. And you don't have to go to the doctor have that awkward conversation. You don't have to you know, it's it's totally discreet, and it's in it. I know there's a stigma. There's there's clearly a line that fellas are unwilling to cross when it comes to like acknowledging that they would take some kind of an enhancement thing when it comes to the bedroom, because they want people to know that they.
Speaker 3: Don't need any help.
Speaker 2: They're manly men, and like, I get it, I understand I'm a man to but don't think about it that way. Think about it as making the experience better for you and your partner, which again is I've been saying for months now it's going to lead to you likely getting more opportunities to you know, have the sex.
Speaker 3: So the Bluetoo product has.
Speaker 2: The same active ingredients as VAGRAA and Cialis, but you get it at a fraction of the cost. All you have to do to try it for a month for free. Yes I said try it for a month for free, is go to bluetoo dot com and use my promo code Nick seven ninety Nick and I c K seven nine zero. All you do after that is pay the five bucks to ship it to you and you're good to go. You're trying it for free for a month. That is a company that knows that you're going to like their product. They're not going to give it away for a month unless they know you're going to come back and want more. So again, blue shoe dot com promo code Nick seven ninety blue chee chew it and do it all right. So the Louisville quarterback, well he's not a quarterback for Louisville just yet. But the quarterback that Louisville, I guess more than anything Jeff brom is pursuing in the transfer portal is Miller Moss We've talked about him here and there over the last couple of weeks because he hit the portal, you know, before it actually opened up, and it didn't take long for Louislle to be one of the schools that was reportedly involved. And he is going to be in town for a visit and it looks like it will start. It's actually I don't know if he's here right now, but the visit is expected to start at some point today. Maybe he's already here, maybe he's listening. If so, what's up, Miller Moss. I didn't have anything prepared to make a pitch for you, but hopefully you are enjoying yourself in Louisville. And if Jeff Brown thinks that you're good enough to be the quarterback here a Louisville, then that's fine by me. But he he's going to be visiting until Friday. Uh and he also recently visited Early Missouri earlier this week, so you know, we'll see if, if, if Jeff can get the job done. And I know that he did get benched at and this is this is not I mean, I wish I had something better here, but I just don't want to lie to you like, I understand looking at Miller Moss as a guy who couldn't you know, he didn't get on the field at USC until he played low fl in a bowl game last year. But it's because of the guys that were in front of him, and there were certain guys that transferred because they knew he was up next, he was going to be after Caleb Williams. And this year, you know, he got benched, and that's never a good sign to go get a quarterback who couldn't keep the job for a guy like Lincoln Riley, who's also known to be a very, very big time offensive mind when it comes to college football. But I mean, I trust Jeff bram If he thinks the guy is good enough and he's got the goods, then then that's fine by me. And last year I think fans, understandably so were a little hesitant to I don't want to say they were head tant to trust Jeff Brohm. But Jack Plumber, you know, he wasn't great, He was good enough, But I think Plumber was one of the and this is there's no way to say this without its sounding mean, but it's just the truth. Jack Plumber was probably one of the weak links of the team. Now that team also went ten into in the regular season. It was pretty damn good. But like he wasn't great. Jeff brom won ten games in his first year and quarterback play was nowhere near one of the strings of the team. That's just not something people expected. So for him to go out and get Tyler Shuck, a guy who also was a veteran, who had never really had a season where he looked great.
Speaker 3: Schuck was mostly due to injury.
Speaker 2: You know, we were just we were forced to trust Jeff and we did and sure enough, Tyler Schuck was pretty damn good. So, I mean, I trust him more so now than I did a year ago after what happened with Shuck. And you know, there may be a time where he goes through the portal and it doesn't work out. But until that happens, I'm going to assume that he's he's still got an eye for talent when it comes to the quarterback position, and if he can get Miller Moss, then you know, I'm I'm I'm looking at that as a win. But yes, his visit has started and he'll be here until Friday.
Speaker 3: It's a long visit. But hey, that the longer he stays, maybe.
Speaker 2: The more, uh, the more he'll be in love with this place and want to and want to stick around for you know, however many years he's got loved to be eligibility Now. I said this before we went to break. No matter what you do in the portal, I'm not sure there's going to be anything in the off season as far as your roster that would be a bigger win for you than retaining and keeping around Duke Quadson and Isaac Brown. I've seen nothing that would indicate those guys are not going to be here next year. But I'm also not afraid to say, like, yeah, you know, anything can happen, anything can change. And you know, there were some people in the text line whenever I said that a couple of days ago, or maybe it was last week, that I'm going to take him at their word. But like, you know, I know that in any moment, these guys could could just may get an offer that they couldn't refuse, or maybe just decide they want to be closer to home or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope that doesn't happen, but a couple of bit on the text line We're like, well, why won't you take them up their word?
Speaker 3: Well, I am.
Speaker 2: I just know that like people can change their mind, like it happens. So you know, I'm going to assume that they're here. But like there's a reason I'm saying, no matter what you do, continuing to try to keep these guys happy. I mean, you don't want to like annoy them and pester them. But if it was me and I knew, if I was the head coach and I knew how special these two young running backs I had, I mean, it would be hard for me not to every day say, hey, you good, you need anything, let me know, you know, any anything I can do for you, anything I can do to make you happier than you already are, because I value you. I mean, I'm sure that's not how it works, but if it did, it wouldn't shock me because that's how good these guys are. So keeping Duke Watson and Isaac Brown, you know, if that ends up happening, that's huge.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely huge.
Speaker 2: And we all watched those two guys and we watched how special they were, especially Isaac. Whenever you know, it became clear they were going to rely on him, a lot more than.
Speaker 3: Really anybody else.
Speaker 2: But to see Duke Watson then emerge as a guy that was also really really effective, I mean, it was awesome to see. And Pro Football Focus, I'm sure some of you're familiar with that. That's an analytic website that grades every single snap of football played at the college level, at the NFL level, and Isaac Brown, no surprise, graded out as the best true freshman running back in college football. In fact, there were only two players that graded out better than him, and one of them was a freshman at Texas. The other one was a freshman at Minnesota, and I believe both of those guys were a lineman, I believe, so not a surprise to see that he was graded at as the best running back in the country. When it comes to just analytics, I mean, the numbers tell you that as far in your eyeballs probably would tell you that. But like, he was really really effective throughout ever, really every not to say he didn't make mistakes, but I mean he I mean he was from the jump. Was there ever a moment where you saw Isaac Brown and thought, uh, oh, like guys got some upside. Maybe in a couple of years he'll be good, but right now we can't really rely on him because he's a freshman. Even when he fumbled against Miami and the end zone, it didn't make me think that we shouldn't keep giving him the ball repeatedly. And then Duke Watson, this isn't I mean, this is another really impressive stat that I don't know if people are aware of. He ranks number one in the nation in yards per carry at nine. So in twelve game regular season, he averaged nine point zero two yards per carry, which is number one in the country. And again you have to keep in mind that is I mean, that's not I mean, he didn't get maybe the most mean, he clearly didn't get the most carries, even on his own team, But you don't qualify for this stat unless you're getting, you know, a significant amount of carries. So you know, some will say maybe that stat's a little misleading because the average is skewed because he didn't get.
Speaker 3: A ton of carries.
Speaker 2: I mean, he didn't, but he also got enough to where he still can qualify. And man, these guys are are special, really really special.
Speaker 3: And Louisville this year.
Speaker 2: I'm to the point now where I can look back at numbers and just think, Okay, we got some good momentum here.
Speaker 3: We're heading in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Jeff Brohm entering year three, Maybe this is the Maybe this is the really really special season. You know, there was a part of me that I thought if I would go back and look at how good this team was and how much better the record probably should have been, that it would have given me, it would give me like PTSD make me sad that's not happened. I mean, yes, we still should have never lost to Stanford, and you know, you had wins that were there for you against really good teams, like we all know that. But I think more than anything, it just speaks to the momentum that you have and they'll learn from it. I mean, Jeff's still gonna make mistakes, He's gonna lose games, but I bet this was a really valuable year for Jeff Brohm as a head coach because there's nobody that is probably bothered by these losses more than him. So right now, Louisville, they're the the longest active streak of scoring at least thirty points in a game. They are second with six straight games of doing that, with Notre Dame being at number one with eight or let's switch gears really quickly to the Kentucky side of things, because they're losing guys left and right in the portal. And you know, you hear from from Mark Stoops at the end of the season, you know, at least towards the end of the season, and you got the sense that that's what he wanted, right because he wanted to kind of rebuild the roster and start over and really kind of do a culture reset with the program. But right now they have there's only one program in the country that has or one power for program in the country that has more guys in the portal than Kentucky. Kentucky has nineteen, in Arkansas has twenty one. And I mean, I'm not trying to pile on I mean, maybe I am, but I just don't know how Mark Stoops could.
Speaker 3: Pitch to his fans that.
Speaker 2: The amount of guys they're losing, but more than anything of who they're losing is like a good thing for the p I mean, you're losing Keyshawn Silver, a former five star player.
Speaker 3: We know you're.
Speaker 2: Losing Dane Key and Barrian Brown, talented receivers I mean, you're losing Jordan Dingle, a really good tight end. I mean, I'm just looking through the list here. Some of these guys I'm not super familiar with, but Chip train them a running back who came in from Ohio State who did not play a lot this year because of injury. But he's gonna have options to go a lot of places. So when you see all these guys leaving going to programs that, like, you know, are better than you, I just don't know how you're gonna be able to process this as we'll be better next year. Your schedule is going to be more difficult probably, and you're gonna have significantly less talent. And talent doesn't always win. Kentucky learned that this year they were a way more talented team than the one and seven record. They had an sec play, but like, you still have to have some dudes. And when you see, you know who they've got coming into the portal, doesn't you know maybe they end up being perfect fits for Mark Stoops's culture and the style and whatnot. But you know, a football fan base that has been real loud and obnoxious about their success, and they've exaggerated substantially what that success level is. They've been doing that for a few years now. Louisville fans have had to sit back and listen to it. But I feel like they're gonna be real quiet about football for you know, at least for the foreseeable future, because I don't really know what they can point to that would make them think that they're gonna get this thing turned around under Mark Stoops, I just don't all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap this thing up at his Coffee and Company and we are fuel bouth. Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Very little time left here before we get out of here. But some tough news that really doesn't relate to Louisville that much. But Tucker Devrees the West Virginia swingman, the guy who came to West Virginia with his father who became the head coach, who left Drake he was Was it against Louisville or is it the game before he played Louisville where I remember him having a really big game in the Bahamas, But I don't remember if it was against Louisville, was against Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: Either way, he's a really good player.
Speaker 2: He's now out for the indefinite future, meaning like I don't know if he's gonna play again this year. And if you're wondering, you know, why in the hell do we care about that? Well, you know, Louisville has one quad one win right now, and it's against West Virginia and they need to stay where they are or maybe get better for you to feel comfortable that could still be a quad one win at the end of the year. So not a good sign, but hey, you know, maybe West Virginia ends up being competitive and maybe Louisill ends up getting some more valuable wins the rest of the way. But that is one that I feel like had a chance to be a decent win, and without him, I don't know anymore, but I do know. We're out of time. Apologies for the real short segment here as we wrap it up, but we're back at it tomorrow and I hope you guys will join us. Enjoy your evening, and again, we're back at it tomorrow right here at three o'clock on Sports Talk seven ninety