Speaker 1: Welcome to Wine Soundtrack USA. Listen to the passion with which producers narrate their winery and their world team thirty answers discover their stories, personalities, and passions.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends and listeners of Wine Soundtrack. This is Alison Levine and today I'm with Dusty Jenkins, the winemaker of Gilbert Sellars in Yakima Valley. Dusty, Welcome to Wine Soundtrack and tell us a little bit about Gilbert Sellars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, Gilbert Sellers, we're a small production, family owned winery here in the Yakma Valley, started in two thousand and four, so this is actually our twenty year anniversary this year.
Speaker 3: At the anniversary, thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's sort of changed hands throughout the Gilbert family throughout the year, but the owners Charlie and Gloria Gilbert and Laura Schlett have been kind of the managing owners since twenty fifteen. And yeah, we're making sort of a variety of wines, a little bit of Roan, a little bit of Bordeaux, and.
Speaker 3: Some fun whites kind of mixed in as well.
Speaker 2: So very cool. Now we're on your property and surrounded by vineyards. How many acres of a state fruit do you have and are you one hundred percent of state fruit?
Speaker 4: We're probably about seventy percent of the majority of which are located offsite. So up in the Horse Heaven Hills we have a few vineyards and then in the wall Luke Slope, so both of them are about an hour away from the winery but owned by the Gilbert family. So all total, we have probably about forty to fifty acres of vineyards throughout the state.
Speaker 2: So wow, with seventy percent of it being right here.
Speaker 4: Yes, so we only have probably ten acres planted out here at the winery and the rest are in other avas throughout the states.
Speaker 2: So you're working with all of state fruit. You mentioned Bordeaux and ron Friddis and then some fun so we know what the roon farritis are and we know what the Bordau varieties. What are the fun varieties?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this year we're we're bringing in a Portuguese white verdejill, so working with that for the first time this year, and Tempernio for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you know, kind of doing.
Speaker 4: Just sort of unique things with some more standard white so like an orange trees lane blended with a little chardonnay and like a pet nat style chardonay as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, having a little fun there with your your fermentations.
Speaker 4: Yes exactly, you know, kind of trying to hit that, you know, that unique kind of fresh, fun sort of wine style that's kind of becoming a little more prevalent in the market.
Speaker 2: So fantastic. It's got a really joyful label of like a hand drying of a girl catching a flower, which I don't know that matches the name Gilbert, which I know is a family name, but the label doesn't.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not like a Dilbert, but it's like a a female version.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, So we actually just went through a big rebrand this past year, and before that we had sort of this silhouette of a mountain. There's a peak in the Goat Rocks, which are in the Cascade Mountain range. There's a peak named after the Gilbert family, and that was sort of the logo for a very long time. But the owners, you know, I think there was just this kind of feeling like it was time to have a refresh, something that kind of like more represented just the style and kind of like the energy that.
Speaker 3: They wanted to bring forward in the winery. So yeah, it was just time.
Speaker 4: To mix it up, make things a little more a little more colorful, a little more fun.
Speaker 2: And so every label has a different cartoon image on us.
Speaker 4: So these four wines that we have here, these are kind of our core for and then we have other wines that are like just a white label with kind of a hand drawn sketch on them as well.
Speaker 2: And what is your total case production?
Speaker 4: So we do about seven thousand annually, between six and seven.
Speaker 2: Thousand, genuinely. And are you a winery that's distributed in particular markets? Are you mostly direct consumer? And you know how many markets are you in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we you know, we have a really great DTC presence here in the y Akma Valley, but we are distributed nationally as well, so of course the great presence in Washington. A lot of wines go over to Seattle, in the suburbs of Seattle. But yeah, we're distributed in New York, Texas, just picked up Wisconsin, Montana, Idaho. Probably I would say a third of the states have carried or currently carried Gilbert Sellars.
Speaker 2: Well. Great, so not a new wine, but a new label for those who are familiar.
Speaker 3: With it absolutely.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious, Dussie, for you as as a as a human being, what is your first memory relevant to wine?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 4: So I grew up in the Akima Valley in Zillah, which is kind of the prime growing region for the Akma Valley, and so it was there was always just you know, wine was kind of in the air, almost literally. But one of my first memories was, you know, my parents wanted to go to like the spring barrel release and I had just got my driver's license, so I was the designated driver. But it was kind of a unique experience that was kind of like the first time I had gone into the wineries and like, you know, it's a unique kind of feeling and smell the first time you walk into a winery. It's like, oh, these are kind of new sensory experiences that I've never had before. So that that definitely kind of sticks out in my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And for something else that might stick out in your mind, one of those aha moment wines, do you member that kind of it might have been one of the first wines you had, maybe it was later on in your career or in your explosion of wine, But is there a wine that sticks out as one of those aha moments. And if you can tell me if you remember the wine specifically and what it was about that wine in the circumstances.
Speaker 4: Sure, boy, that's kind of a tough question. So I kind of cut my teeth in the wine industry in Walla, Walla, and you know, there's so many great producers in Walla Walla.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Got the experience to go taste at Cayuse for as students and that was a really just like kind of incredible experience and you know, it was it was almost like meeting the wizard of Wizard of Oz getting to meet Christop and taste through the whole lineup of wines.
Speaker 3: And just like, wow, this is you know, it's kind of a magical experience.
Speaker 4: But yeah, very different style than what we're doing, but you know, impactful nonetheless, Like you know, there's been so many people that have kind of like followed in Christov's footsteps trying to you know, capture some of that magic as well. So but yeah, he's he's really for Washington State, been you know, a huge trailblazer.
Speaker 2: And can you kind of define what that magic is about that wine or what it was for you that was magical about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was just so it was it was really unique as far as like the style and just like just everything about it. Just the way it hit your palette, the aromas you were getting off of it. You know, it's unlike what anybody else really was doing in lah lah Laha And just like you know, love it or hate it was just like a truly unique kind of series of wines. But yeah, and that's kind of what I'm always seeking, is like, you know, I love to try new things. I love to challenge myself when I'm drinking wine, and like if it's if it's different, if it's funky, if it's you know, kind of off the wall, like you know, it just kind of it sparks this kind of creativity and this like it can really lead to some inspiration at times.
Speaker 2: So if we were to come to your home and find wherever you're storing your wine, whether in a few drawers and a wine cellar and refrigerators are scattered under the in scamp places, what would we find in there? Is it wines you've made, windes of friends or really obscure varieties particular varieties particular regions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean kind of well, first of all, we just moved, so there's there's wines in rooms that there shouldn't be in that wine here at the winery that needs to go back home. It's it's kind of all over the place right now. But as far as what's in our collection, you know, I'm I'm not a huge collector for the most part.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm.
Speaker 4: Buying wines that that we want to drink fairly fairly soon. And but yeah, like I said, I'm kind of always just like searching for the new thing, like not new thing, but just like new wine experience for me. So yeah, trying wines from more obscure wine producing countries or you know, kind of more unique production styles domestically. And there's a great wine shop here in Yakimal called Apple Valley Emporium.
Speaker 3: And they have a great selection of kind.
Speaker 4: Of more unique and you know, low fi wines, and yeah, so they're a great source to just try out new kind of interesting things that you wouldn't find usually in a small city like Yakama.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you opened up recently that drank really well, oh.
Speaker 3: Boy, what do we drink recently?
Speaker 4: We just had like a chillable red from Slovenia, I believe. So it's you know, just like hot weather open something that you know, it's just like juicy and there's clenching, you know, on a hot day after we've finished moving. And so yeah, that was a wine we picked up at the AD that was really just uh yeah, great refreshing wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well refreshable claw quaffable red wine. Absolutely. So I'm curious because you like to explore all these different wines or maybe also kind of fermentation styles and production styles. Do you think there's a such thing as a perfect variety?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, I think about as perfect of a variety as you can get, as probably breezelane.
Speaker 3: There's just so many directions you can go with it.
Speaker 4: And I mean, for my palette, it's just I love, I love a high acid white and you know, have it, you know perfectly bone dry reas Lane just can hit the spot, you know, sparkling rereasling, a little off dry dessert style Reaslane. Like there's just such a broad spectrum and feel like there have been so many. I mean, of course like classic sort of Mozo and Ryan Gal like those are probably like my top tier favorite ones in the world.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just love the spectrum of what you can get from that variety. And yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Like that that that it's perfection is sort of its ability to to be versatile.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, absolutely, And I one of it's I feel like, kind of developed a little bit of a bad reputation in Washington has been you know, kind of overly sweet, and you say Reasling and Washington and people kind of like cringe. But it's like, no, it's it's such a cool variety and it can be really beautiful. You just have to give it a chance, you know, kind of throw your expectations away.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I agree, I agree, I reasonly could be ethereal. But you know, like to what you're saying is that something gets a reputation, and you know, people fall on trend and if they say, oh, you know, reason gets a bed wrap and then suddenly it becomes this rumor. To the same point, something can can get very popular because one person says so. And I'm curious your opinion on that fact about wine critics and scores and sort of the role they play, you know, is it valuable, is it useful? Does it guide you?
Speaker 4: I mean, as a wine maker. I try not to think about scores too much. I mean, they're they're definitely a tool, like a powerful tool in marketing and sales. And I realize, like, yes, that is an important factor for a lot of buyers. You know, you have to have your ninety two plus point score. But you know, when I'm in the cellar when I'm thinking about wines, I'm not I'm really not putting much thought into like, oh, I hope this gets a good score eventually. I mean, if it does, that's you know, that's a great little to benefit. But yeah, I try not to think about that too much in my like my personal process, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: And in terms of buying wine, does that does that affect you all? I'm going to kind of guess, know, because you like to try obscure and you know obscure. Is it necessarily popular?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean.
Speaker 4: It's not something I pay attention to very much. But I again, like I understand the value of it, especially for people who are are looking for wine that may not have a lot of information in their you know, in their personal life about like where to go when they're purchasing wine. So I recognize that like seeing that number is like, Okay, you know, this is something I can put my trust, especially if it's like, you know, a recognizable source that's that's giving that number. But but yeah, me personally, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't pay a lot of attention to scores.
Speaker 2: Well, for somebody who you know hasn't tasted Gilbert wines yet, what do you think they're missing out on? I mean, you've talked a little bit about the style that you make, but what do you what do you think they they're missing out on not having yet tried these wines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I mean, one, they're just like very approachable, like very clean, sort of we run the gamut from like you know, kind of classically made wines to sort of like the more experimental side that I was kind of hinting at earlier. But yeah, I think for both the person that's like has these kind of like pre developed taste of wine, especially Washington wine, there's something for them. And then maybe someone who's like completely new to wine, there's some really just like fun, approachable things that are like can kind of bring you into the bold a little bit. And so yeah, that's that's kind of the balance that we're trying to strike here. Is like both kind of a classic style and something that's a little new and fresh, for like maybe a novice wine drinker or you know, someone who's used to a classic style that wants to try something new.
Speaker 2: So you're you're inequal opportunists, like anyone can come here. So we've right, So space aliens were to come here, if they landed on your property and they came walking on up, which of your wines would you want to welcome them with? To say? This is Gilbert Sellers.
Speaker 4: I think I think probably our nouveau pino noir. So it's it's the first wine that we bottle every year. You know, it's it's kind of a a Beaujeulet style. You know, it's carbonic fermentation, so super juicy food, just like really fun, playful wine. And you know there's just a little like CO two is still on the palette, and yeah, it's I think for you know, an alien.
Speaker 2: A carbonic pino noir is not typical.
Speaker 3: Presumably never had one before. Maybe that would be a good place for them to start.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, wow, harmonic pinot noir. Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, so you're making some weird and wacky wines. And having fun with it. And you like to drink weird and wacky wines, which is great and to discover new things. But if I was to ask you as a wine drinker, red white or rose, what would you say?
Speaker 4: Red white?
Speaker 3: I would say white?
Speaker 4: I would I got probably seventy percent of the wines that we.
Speaker 3: Open at home are white wines or rose. But yeah, but yeah, red wine.
Speaker 4: It's like we've got the months of you know, November to February to pop those open and then it's back to white wine season for us.
Speaker 2: So still are sparkling both?
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, yeah, I could drink champagne every day, That's what I would do, but probably more still, you know, just there's a little more selection to choose from.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's we love both.
Speaker 2: So you know, speaking of that, if you're drinking white wine, you know, eight months out of the year, and how do how do you approach that? When it comes to food and wine pairing. Is white wine the choice or are you looking more at the dish? Are there rules that you follow or is there a thought behind how you're gonna pick what wine you're gonna drink with food?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean you always consider it.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say like an expert at pairing dishes necessarily, but but yeah, I mean it's always fun just to like, you know, kind of like think about, Yeah, especially white wine. I feel like people are like, oh, it can only go with seafood, or it can only go with you know, these sort of light positativety you know, but I think like depending on the white wine, there's so much there's so much variety within white wine. You know, there's wines with a little bit more tannin that can handle like a heavier protein, and you know, it's just like there are white wines to pair with most dishes. Maybe not like a big steak or something like that, but you know, I think I think, yeah, we make a like a rose of Pino noir are sorry Pino Greggio that I think is like a great Thanksgiving line so.
Speaker 2: To go with like turkey and cranberry and such.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's just got enough that like body and tannin to carry like a more fatty dish and and things like that and not over overwhelm your palette and you know kind of sit heavy in your in your in your gut, but.
Speaker 2: So body in tannin is sort of what you're looking for in terms of how you're going to gauge on the scale of what to pair with body.
Speaker 3: Tannin and acidity. Yeah, of course, yeah, the most important things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely when thinking about food, like those those I mean tannin in acidity I think are like, you know, the most kind of key factors of like what pair as well?
Speaker 2: Are you looking for things to contrast or to compliment each other?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it depends on the dish, right, So, like, yeah, like a fatty dish or you know, something that's a little more lean.
Speaker 3: Maybe you want a higher acid wine.
Speaker 4: If it's like a big heavy dish, you know, maybe bring down the acid, bring up the tannin just to kind of you know, so it will find with those you know, fat proteins in your mouth and do its magic.
Speaker 3: And yeah.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, like I said, I'm not I'm not a Somali, but it's.
Speaker 3: How you do it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So you know, talking about that magic, A lot of the magic, as as most winemakers will say, happens in the vineyard. You probably agree with.
Speaker 4: That, Oh yeah, absolutely, I mean if you start with good fruit, it makes our job and the cellar a lot easier.
Speaker 2: So so going going through the vineyard and being right on a property, working on a property where you have grapes right outside. You're here every day walking through it, and I'm sure you visit the other the vineyards in the years that you've been doing this. Do you what kind of what do vintages tell you? Do you see variation from year to year? Do you see is it a big variation? Is it nuanced? Do you see patterns or do is it just each year for itself?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's definitely patterns, and you know there's years that sort of mirror each other, and yeah, we're this this vintage is shaping up to be.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a bit of a hotter vintage.
Speaker 4: So we can go back to similarly align years and kind of go through our notes and like kind of give ourselves a little bit of an expectation of how things are going to progress. And you know, it's it's helped like that is so helpful to have those resources just to be like, Okay, don't stress, like this is kind of how things are going to go, Like things are going to come in and sort of this general order, and yeah, I mean, but that being said, like twenty twenty two was a really kind of cool vintage for Washington State, and we kind of had to adjust, Like we weren't bringing in any fruit until mid September, which had become like incredibly rare for us. You know, like after several really hot vintages in a row. It kind of like shifted our expectation of what our kind of average.
Speaker 3: Vintage looked like.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean each year is different, and you'd roll with the punches, but use all the tools in your toolbox to kind of like build your expectations of how it's going to go.
Speaker 2: So in addition to having this great toolbox and being able to reference, like you said, mirroring vintages, are there any other sort of signs or predictors that you look for that'll tell you what a harvest is going to be?
Speaker 4: I mean, you just you kind of yeah, weather throughout the growing season, whether it's a wet spring, you know, really dry spring, it kind of those factors can can really impact how things go throughout the year. You know, if you're dealing with different pests and mildew pressures throughout the season, Like that's all kind of based on a lot of sort of environmental factors early in the growing season. So yeah, yeah, just kind of paying attention to those things as they progress throughout the.
Speaker 2: Year as well. And then you go reference another year ago. What happened? What do we do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What did we do? How did it look? Should we be worried?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Okay? Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Are you ever finding yourself out in the vineyards talking to the vines and encouraging them or reprimanding them, or or you know, I don't know, telling them your your life story.
Speaker 4: Maybe not talking to the vines, but definitely talking to myself, reassuring myself, I think, is what's going on there. Maybe it looks like I'm talking to the vines, but yeah, that's all about self reassurance.
Speaker 2: You don't have to confess anything to the vines, and they don't confess to you.
Speaker 3: No, I've never tried that.
Speaker 4: Maybe save some money on therapy. No, No, I haven't done that approach yet. It's not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: And when when the vines come in and they become wine. I mean some people say that they play music to the grapes or to the wine because it sets the mood, or that they talk they hug their barrels. Do you do anything like this? Do you feel that it affects the wine in any way?
Speaker 4: You know, I've heard of that concept and I kind of like it. I've never implemented it, but I have like googled like submersible speakers, like.
Speaker 3: That would be cool.
Speaker 4: So I play some music submerged in the wine under the wine cap. But you know, we've just got our kind of like harvest playlist. And if it's a if it affects the wine, it's that's an added benefit that was unintentional.
Speaker 2: So it hasn't harmed the wine from what you can say as.
Speaker 3: Far as ill. So, yeah, right, So.
Speaker 2: You've been here, you said since twenty twenty seven, twenty seventeen, So you've been here, you know, seven years, eight years. Do you have a have you instituted or did you come in to any rituals at the beginning of harvest that you do as a team, any sort of little big things parties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually, yesterday we had our like it's become kind of an annual tradition, our little harvest like kickoff lunch. And it's just a good, you know, a good excuse to get like the team together and kind of like, Okay, you know, it's a little bit of a pep talk for us in production, and then just you know kind of yeah, just have a chance to like thank everybody in advance, like this is going to be a long couple of weeks and you know, see you on the other side. Thank you slash sorry in advance.
Speaker 2: So yeah, nothing like a lucky T shirt or don't shave for weeks or I, you know, pour a bottle of sparkling wine over then.
Speaker 3: So I've been the head wine maker for this will just be my third vantage. But no, yeah, no, that's a great idea, though.
Speaker 4: We need to have like a more of a like, I don't know, a thing a tradition that we do right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean my timing might be perfect because you have that opportunity.
Speaker 3: It's still it's still freshen up, there's still time. Definitely.
Speaker 2: I think it's something really really really cool and different so that next time someone asked you this question, you could be like, you know what we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that's a good thought. I need to to do this.
Speaker 2: So you grew up in this area, but obviously it sounds like your parents weren't working in wine and that you know, you weren't really aware aware where until you said you drove them. So when you were little, what did you want to be when you grew Oh?
Speaker 4: Boy, Well I went to school for film and video and worked in basically video production for a while and then was a film archivist for about seven years. So yeah, when I was younger, I wanted to be like a movie director.
Speaker 3: Was sort of the idea behind that. But yeah, I mean kind.
Speaker 4: Of you know, got burnt out in working in film archiving and had no interest in staying in that industry, and so I was ready for a big change and had some friends that were in the wine industry and wah la walla, and I was like, you know, this like kind of ticks all the boxes of like the type of work that I at least think I would like to be doing, and you know, kind of jumped in and it's just been Yeah, it feels like the perfect fit. I've done a lot of different jobs and this is the first one I'm like, Okay, this is like feels like it fits by my personality.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I found it through film archiving and little did you know, very.
Speaker 4: Secute as route to wine making But you know, that's that's kind of I feel like that's my generation is like, you know, there's we have had a lot of different careers in our times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you don't know until you try it.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when you're not working, how do you like to spend your free time?
Speaker 4: I still love movies, and my wife and I we watch We watch a lot of movies.
Speaker 3: Try to hit one hundred movies a year. Nice.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, just getting outdoors. We just we just moved out to a little farm just a couple of miles here from the wineries. So we've got some fruit trees and some blueberries and some nut trees. So kind of our little hobby farm is now gonna be a big hobby for us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, wow, Yeah for movies, do you have a favorite film?
Speaker 3: Favorite film? Oh? Boy, you know, I love Jurassic Park.
Speaker 4: It's like one of the first movies that I like fell in love with as a kid and as an adult.
Speaker 3: I like it's it.
Speaker 4: Holds up pretty well, like even you know, it came out in the early nineties, but it's like doesn't look as dated as you would think. So that's I mean, it's not a very film snob answer. But yeah, it's just a fun movie to watch.
Speaker 2: No. I think I think that there should be films for different just like mine different movies, right, your most your favorite entertaining movie versus your favorite you know. Technical So when you're watching your hundred movies a year, are there certain standards you have as to what you're going to watch where it's just one hundred different movies?
Speaker 4: No, I mean we we kind of have a It's yeah, we don't have like a rule of like what we'll watch. I love like the Fast and Furious movies and John Wick like very just sort of like action. Yeah, but but yeah, we'll watch we'll watch the nerdy stuff too.
Speaker 2: So do you have a favorite director?
Speaker 4: Favorite director? Probably Jim Jarmouche.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so if you could, if you could share a bottle of your wine with Jim jarmush, which of your wines would you want to share?
Speaker 4: Oh? Gosh, maybe the Ala Broche. I feel like, you know, it's our our Roan blend.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's it's it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of unique for a Washington Roan and that it's a little bit of a lighter style, a little higher acid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pair as well.
Speaker 4: With you know, a lot of different dishes, which I feel like he's got kind of an eclectic series of movies that he's made, So yeah, I feel like it defies expectations as is, maybe his movies do as well. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Good job, good job, So it's off the cup. I love it. I love it. So I'm curious when you are, you and your wife have just moved into another farmhouse. Your wines are scattered all over the place, so you know you're not quite settled in. But if you're planning a romantic evening for you and your wife, is do you pull out different wines to set a tone of romanticism versus any other night or is the exploring of wine just part of your life and every night is the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 4: You know my wife, Whitney, she loves bubbles, she loves champagne. So if it's if it's going to be like a romantic right, that's an easy go too. But you know it, that kind of saves it as being like a special occasion as well. So yeah, I mean that's that's the easy go to for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bubbles always bubbles, always bubbles. So when you look back at your work, what would you or your career, I should say, your entire career to date, what would you say is one of your proudest accomplishments.
Speaker 4: Oh, proudest accomplishments. Yeah, I mean, honestly, just becoming the head winemaker here.
Speaker 3: You know, it was not really.
Speaker 4: Ever my plan to like, oh, I'm going to move back to the Yakima Valley and become a winemaker. It was just kind of the invisible magnets of the world pulled me back here, and like, you know, and I had the good fortune of working under Justin Duffeld, who he was a winemaker in yak in the Yakma Valley as well, and you know, he taught me a lot over five years with working with him, and then when.
Speaker 3: He left to do his project.
Speaker 4: Full time, you know, I was like kind of ready and prepared to like take on that task of kind of running the show, calling the shots, and like, you know, it's I've yeah, I feel proud of the wines that I've made over the last three years, and and yeah, it's it's just kind of the sum of of all of that, all of that experience kind of crystallized into the least you know, thirty six months or so.
Speaker 3: I love Yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: And also to have the confidence that it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I think that just like that personal growth and like the just the experience and the readiness to like take on that role was Yeah, that's probably my proudest moment.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So when you look back, is there a piece of advice that somebody gave you, whether it was justin or maybe it was a parent or a teacher, that you carry with you as a way to live or maybe a way to work or both.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I think someone once said, a friend of mine, I think, said, you know, in regards to winemaking, we don't do this job because it's easy.
Speaker 3: We do it because we thought it was going.
Speaker 4: To be easy, which, you know, I have my own sort of set of expectations of like, oh, what is the wine industry going to be, Yeah, it's gonna be this really fun thing, but really it is, like it's.
Speaker 3: A lot of hardware and you get what you put in, so it's it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not a glamorous job, but it you know, if if you're willing to like really grind and do the hard work.
Speaker 3: Like you can make some beautiful things with that.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, yeah, gotta work harder, so complete this sentence. For me, A table without wine.
Speaker 3: Is like God. A table over without wine is like Grandma's house. It was a sober grandparents were not big drinkers.
Speaker 2: So imagine another scenario for you to imagine we're sitting at a table. We are sitting at a table, we have your wine on the table, and there's an empty seat next to you. You don't have to imagine it, it's right there. But if you could fill that seat with any person living or deceased, infamous, famous or unknown, who do you wish that you could sit next to and share a bottle of Gilbert Wines with that you made?
Speaker 4: Well, Now that I through my grandma, and maybe I should have her at the table. See if I could get her to dry a bottle of why I think that would be a special experience.
Speaker 3: So you've redeemed yourself.
Speaker 2: So we've kind of come to the end where it's time as a way to talk about your wines. We're going to play a little game pairing wine with music. But this is a way to talk about your wines and kind of maybe explain to people in a way like what music sort of defines the wine for you. So as we've been talking, we've been sipping on the Unoaks Shardenay. So let's start with the Unoak Shartenay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the Unoaks Shardenay. You know, I kind of think about wine and wine making as like different vibes, you know, so like it's kind of classic, it's got kind of this like really crisp, you know, acidity, and so you want something that's like I listened to mostly like classic rock and like alternative rock.
Speaker 3: From the nineties.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna go ahead and say that the Unoaked is best to go at the Velvet Underground.
Speaker 3: Okay, it would be my parent.
Speaker 2: I like that it works. I mean I get it because I'm tasting it and I get the electric and I get I got it. Okay. So the next one you talked about your pino noir nouveaux, your carbonic new pino.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I would say, yeah, so probably more of a new artist still, like you know, fun energetic. I'm gonna go with, Oh, the OC's that's another, like, sorry, more current rock band that I like.
Speaker 3: To listen to.
Speaker 2: And what about the Rone Blend that you were that you were referring to that you would be giving to Jim tlution.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's uh, let's go, let's go nineties late eighties Dinosaur Junior.
Speaker 3: That would be my pick for that one.
Speaker 2: Let's see what about you know you talked about reasling and you make reasling yep, and reasoning gets a bum wrap and I want to talk about your reasoning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So for Gilbert Sellers remake, we've done a petnat with the reasoning for a few years ago and that came out beautifully. But the last couple of vintages we've switched it up a little bit and we've been doing sort of a cohermant where we take a little bit of reasling and chardonnay and then do like.
Speaker 3: An orange wine with it.
Speaker 4: So we do a ten date fermentation on skins and it has this like I think for an orange wine, it's still got this like nice bright acidity.
Speaker 3: It's like really approachable. I say, it's kind of like an.
Speaker 4: Entry level orange line because I can feel sometimes like when you drink orange wine, it's a little bit like doing homework.
Speaker 2: This one still has juiciness.
Speaker 4: Juiciness, very fruit forward and yeah, but enough of that like kind of tannin and a little bit of like this herbaceousness going on that. Yeah, it's it's a yeah, it's a really nice fun line.
Speaker 3: So and so what would you pay that with? What would I pair that with? Oh gosh, yeah, I mean it's still hot out. So I'm gonna say, like.
Speaker 4: You know, go great with some like barbecue chicken or something like that, something with a little in music in music, Oh gosh maybe. Uh, I'm just navy bands that I like a lot. Heyo lt Tango. That's a great little mellow band to go with a nice late summer afternoons like.
Speaker 2: That, barbecue chicken, kind of a juicy intro orange wine, something.
Speaker 3: A little funky music wise.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think we've covered a good amount and I will put you under more pressure that you've done very well. But if if you were to say, Gilbert Silage, is there a wine that is considered sort of the flagship or a grape that you consider your flagship grape?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I would say the Left Bank Blend is our our flagship wine. It's a it's a Bordeaux blend. Seventy percent capsaw were low some years. We'll put a little bit of Carmenire or Maulbeck in it as well.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that that, you know, Kapsov is.
Speaker 4: The most planted grape in Washington, so it's also sort of the flagship grape for Washington State. But but yeah, it's a really solid, approachable, you know, Bordeaux blend for for the Yakama Valley.
Speaker 2: Okay, last one, give me a music pairing on that one last music pairing.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna go classic. Let's say it's gonna love Zeppelin.
Speaker 3: Okay, something a little heavy.
Speaker 2: Right, you're almost finished. I've got I got one last question for you now that you're like, I'm on a roll, let's go. I'm curious with all the exploration that you like to do in wine and having drunk that really good, juicy Slovenian chilled read recently, you obviously like to explore the world of wine. So what wine region in the world is at the top of your bucket list that you want to go to?
Speaker 3: Oh so, my my wife just went to Portugal for a month and I without you, without me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I got to hear stories, I'm like, oh my gosh, I want to go. So yeah, Portugal is probably on my Portugal and Italy those would be the two.
Speaker 3: That are kind of at the top of my list. Nice next, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nice, I think it's time to go.
Speaker 3: It's time to go.
Speaker 2: You can take your wife with you harvest after harvest for sure, and before you head off to harvest. One last question. If people want to come visit you here at Gilbert Seller's, where can they find you? And when they get here, what can they exp experience here at the winery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're located about ten miles outside of downtown downtown Yakoba. Downtown yak i'mon, yes, Yeah, we're open seven days a week. Beautiful tasting room. But really I think people come out here. It's for my money. It's like the best beautiful view in the Yakma Valley. So you know, people come out, grab.
Speaker 3: A bottle and just sit out on the lawn and you know, it's just a great day to spend an afternoon. So fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to try some juicy intro orange wine or you know the Left Bank inspired cabernet that's Borto that's a flagship, or anything in between, come on out to Gilbert Sellar's Dusty, it's been a pleasure talking with you, and I want to go try that Orange reesling.
Speaker 3: Let's go here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thanks for listening to a new episode of Wind sound Track USA. For details and updates, visit our website windsoundtrack dot com