Speaker 1: All right, what's good?
Speaker 2: Drives Tuesday afternoon, sixteen minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: A cold front as hits a lake. I don't know if you notice.
Speaker 2: Past three or four days it has been frigid and it is today as well.
Speaker 1: Happy Tuesday to you.
Speaker 2: Got a lot to do on the program, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along.
Speaker 1: For the ride.
Speaker 2: My name is Spence Check. It's I host this radio show. That young man is Porter Larceny produces it. We are back in studio on a Tuesday afternoon after really fun remote yesterday. Shout out to my guy Vidal and the warehouse saving people a grip of money while getting you brand new mattresses, sofas, vetting faces and the like. Hopefully we'll be back out there soon, but good to be back in studio with a lot to do on the program today. Ohio State is your college football national champ. We have the final AP and the final CIP polls BYU represented Utah Sadley was not now surprise, there some big twelve teams in the final AP in the final CFP poll, and then we'll do a little look at with the way too early top twenty five polls that are out, it's probably hard to expect Utah being ranked. I don't think that's breaking news BYU will probably be a top twenty team somewhere, maybe fifteen through twenty. They came in at number thirteen in the AP, number seventeen in the CFP poll. So do some college football on the show today, you know, yesterday, talking about the game last night, I wondered loud if Notre Dame could make it a fair fight, and I'm not, honestly, I'm not sure that they did. They punched back there at the end, they were nearly able to cover the spread, and there were a couple of, as they say in soccer, hearts and mouths moments if you were an Ohio State fan. But ultimately it didn't feel like Ohio State was ever really in danger after they countered that first big Notre Dame drive with just boom, boom, boom, three straight drives with touchdowns. So we'll do some college football program today. The Utah Jazz took a historic l last night against the New Orleans Pelicans. It was the biggest comeback in Pelicans history. And it's just great news, such great news. So we'll do some NBA. Able to do some jazz on the program today, mainly college football, little NFL as well. Ben Johnson to Chicago, What's next in New York. AFC NFC championship games coming up during conference championship weekend on Sunday of this week, and we'll have the games on this radio station. By U basketball kind of a sneaky Big one tonight at Colorado. Colorado has not won a Big twelve game and BYU. I'll say this is kind of a must win ultimately for BYU because they have not won a road game.
Speaker 1: They're two and four in Big twelve play.
Speaker 2: In case you missed it, the Utah men's basketball game was moved to tomorrow at four o'clock. So we have a very short show here in the afternoon tomorrow to make way for some Utah bas on the program.
Speaker 1: So a lot to do on the show.
Speaker 2: Good guest list, get you guys through this chili Chili Tuesday afternoon here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. We'll start things off today with Roxy Bernstein. Now, Roxy one of our favorites from the Pac twelve network. He has a beef with Courtney Cox it's a real thing. It's a bit I can't let go. We'll do some college football with Roxy. But he was in town on Saturday to call the Utah BYU basketball game, and I saw him from a distance, couldn't make it down to say hello, and so when I saw that he was doing the game, reached out to porter and get him on and so we were able to do that today. Matt Brown, our buddy from Extra Points, who was on the grounds in Atlanta for the CFP Final, So we'll see how that was for him and his thoughts on the current state of college football, and we'll go from there as far as Matt coming on on the three o'clock hour. Jim Jeffries stand up comic. If you're a fan of this show, first of all, thank you. Second of all, you know that our buddy Keith Stubbs and Wise Guys Comedy, we always reach out to them to say if anybody's rolling through, we'd love.
Speaker 1: To get to know them.
Speaker 2: We've had a bunch of big time stand up comics on the program, Michael Rappaport and Studio. We keep going down the list. Obviously, Jaoe Covan has become a friend of the show. I'm a big Jim Jefferies fan. His stand up comedy is not necessarily sports talk radio friendly, so we'll see if we can get weird with Jim but not lose the show. Coming up to four o'clock, then Mike Sanford junior, former college football player and coach will stop by to do a little more college football, mostly college football on the show today with Scotia of College Hoops and NBA Utah Hockey Club as well. So we'll get to as much as we as we possibly can on the program today with Roxy Bernstein with Matt Brown, with Jim Jefferies, with Mike Stanford Junior, me Spence checkets all of you the great listeners on a Tuesday, and that guy por Larson produces the show.
Speaker 3: All right, did notre Dame make that a fair fight? I mean not really, not really a fair fight. They as you said, they a few punches and that came in the form of literally a punch out late in the game that gave them the ball and you know, an eight point deficit. They they had a one possession game late in that in that matchup, right, so you have to give them credit for making a game of it, making it, you know, not a blowout, but early on it did look like it was going to be that way. Spence and I don't know that I ever really felt like the result was in doubt once Ohio.
Speaker 1: State really really got going.
Speaker 3: And you know, credit to them, man, they they played really really well on a college football championship month.
Speaker 1: No doubt about that, no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: So let's get two eights. Our first guest will be Roxy Bernstein. But before Roxy rolls, by courtesy of our good friends, you're good friends too at Standard Restaurant Supply. You want to stop shop for all of your tailgate needs, either online or their convenient location here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 1: It is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check it's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show.
Speaker 1: The opening tip of.
Speaker 4: The Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: So the first twelve team expanded CFP Playoff format culminated last night in Atlanta at the Mercedes Benz Dome. It's a Ohio State take care of Notre Dame. Thirty four to twenty three. Really wasn't that close. Ohio State responded to that great initial drive from Notre Dame. Notre Dame came out of the gates and did exactly what most.
Speaker 1: People thought they had to do.
Speaker 2: Start quickly, but control the clock and keep Ohio State off the field. And it was like a super super long drive to start out the game that ended up in a touchdown and kind of looking around going okay, well, maybe Marcus Freeman and the fiighty and Iers can make this thing interesting.
Speaker 1: The Ohio State response was just perfect. Boom boom boom.
Speaker 2: Three possessions, all touchdowns, and they were not big hits. They were simply long, sustained drives that allowed the Buckeys, in my opinion, to basically put this thing away at halftime. As we talked about yesterday, Notre Dame is not built to come back once they go down by a couple of scores.
Speaker 1: It's just tough to picture them coming back. They're just not a high powered offensive team.
Speaker 2: Although Riley Leonard I thought last night showed some things potentially that not a lot of people had seen this year because they are a classic Notre Dame, great defensive front, you know, slow down the game and run the football with their quarterback mostly. And last night we didn't see any of Jeremiah Love, surprising a lot of people. It was really Riley Leonard and that's about it. Notre Dame did throw some punches late to make it somewhat interesting. It was an eleven point win for Ohio State. The spread ended up being eight point five, so Ohio State won and they covered. And you know, the ride of Ryan Day certainly is something that has to be talked about.
Speaker 1: This was a guy who has.
Speaker 2: As you know, little As like three weeks ago, there seemed to be a lot of conversation about whether or not he was going to keep that job, which is wild to me when you think about where he is at now on the pantheon of college football coaches, one of three current coaches to win a national championship, a better win percentage than Jim Tressel, the Sweater vest bro, and a better S and P index than Urban Meyer. I mean, he he's the fifth Ohio State coach and win a national championship, and he's one of the top three all time in win percentage period in college football. It is the power of not being able to beat your rival, and I talked about this with Sean Like coach Wit spanked Bronco more often than not, like Bronco, ment a.
Speaker 1: Lo had a tough time beating Utah.
Speaker 2: It's not like he never did it, but because Bronco, you know, ten win seasons bringing BYU football back to respectability after Gary Crowton left behind what was a clean up job after led Zeppelin Party. I didn't think Bronco was ever in danger of losing that job. He ended up leaving on his own accord and I get losing to Michigan four straight times, but ultimately Ohio State, in my opinion, showed people that when they were playing top shelf they were the best team in college football. Yes, apparently a twenty five million dollar or so payroll can help, but this run through the CFP, they had a tough, tough route and they ended up essentially in my opinion, not really being challenged. Smoked Tennessee, smoked Oregon the team that stayed clean during the regular season. They had a couple of self inflicted wounds that allowed that Texas game to be closer than I thought it should have been. And like I said, I felt like that game last night was basically over at halftime. So congratulations of Ohio State and some interesting things about the way that they have built this roster. I mean, you know, the attention is on that twenty to twenty five million dollar price tag for this group, but ultimately the majority of that money went to the players that they had on the roster already for the most part, not everybody.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 2: They brought in a couple of very talented safety that a safety that they brought in via the transfer portal, that unbelievable freshman wide receiver, they bring in a quarterback via the transfer portal, But essentially in the trenches on defense, these are players that have played in Ohio State for a long long time, recruited out of high school and then came through and played. Some of them played more than fifty college football games. And so that's kind of good news when you look at it through the prism of the Utes, who have their entire offensive lineback, a defense that nobody's going to question, even with a couple of really big time players taken off in Kiata, Todda Austin and Camera Calhoun means there's a lot of pressure on Devin Dampier, who Jason Beck essentially said as the starting quarterback on this show a week ago. We'll do some more of this throughout the course of the show, but we'll catch a quick break how.
Speaker 1: I got Matt Brown on the show today.
Speaker 2: Stand up comic Jim Jeffries, who will be playing Wise Guys, is going to stop by, and then Mike Samford Junior will roll by as well to talk some college football.
Speaker 1: But on this radio show, the rem.
Speaker 2: Brands are saved for one person, and one person only.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'll be there for you.
Speaker 2: The theme song of the Horrible Horrible television show back in the nineties called Friends, it means it's time for Roxy Burnston. You guys know that by now. Roxy on a Tuesday, sir, how are you?
Speaker 5: I will be there for you, sence. I can't say that i'd be there for Courtney Cox, but I would be there for you now.
Speaker 2: We don't need to we don't need to make it weird on a Tuesday. I know when you hear the name Courtney Cox, it just your your ears get red, you start feeling yeah, I know. Well, let's be honest. I mean, enough time has passed. That was a that was a dumb That was a dumb show. It was a bad TV show that co opted the thoughts of people that just are simpletons that didn't like a intellectual television show like Seinfelder for Honestly.
Speaker 5: The show was pretty good. I could get past the personal issues.
Speaker 2: Fine, well, I was trying to have your back. Never mind, awesome show.
Speaker 1: How you been man, Thank you for the time as good.
Speaker 4: I'm good. You know.
Speaker 5: I was in town over the weekend. I had that overtime thriller at the Huntsman Center, and I'm on my Utah week with that game. Saturday. I have BYU Tonight, I'm in Boulder for the game against the Buffaloes. Thursday, i have the Hockey Club for ESPN against Minnesota, and then I'm back in your great state on Saturday. I'm double dipping. I have the Utah Women against BYU women down in Provo, and then the nightcap I'm double dipping on Saturday with Cincinnati against BYU.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, never a dull moment.
Speaker 2: And Roxy Bernstein, the unofficial voice of Utah Sports.
Speaker 1: I love it. Well.
Speaker 2: I was actually I was at the Huntsman Center on Saturday night and I looked down. I looked down. I had some pretty good seats. I was about five rows behind you. But I did not have my credential. And I'm not going to be the dude that says, don't you know who I am? So I could not come down and say hello. But when I saw that you were on the call, say again, sorry.
Speaker 5: You could have yeah, but I don't I know, yeah, I know him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Roxy, I'm already unlikable enough on paper. Like you know, I'm well aware of how unlikeable I'm on paper. So I don't want to, you know, I don't want to further the narrative. So I simply texted Porter. I said, let's get our guy. And I wanted to start with Saturday night. And as you know, I was a student at Utah in the late nineties when their head coach was named Rick Majaris, and our weeks were playing around Utah basketball.
Speaker 1: Games when I was a student there.
Speaker 2: And I'll say, and look, Larry Chriscoviak had a couple of good teams, you know, Jim Boylan had an NCAA team. I'm not saying the building hasn't had one night like that in twenty seven years or whatever, but it really did feel like an atmosphere that reminded me of when I was watching Andre Miller and Keith van Horn and Mike Thleiak and Britton Johnson.
Speaker 1: So let's start with the environment.
Speaker 2: You travel all over the place for a college basketball game. To kind of feel and sound like that at the Huntsman Centers kind of war in my heart.
Speaker 1: What did you make of that crowd?
Speaker 5: Well, as you know, over the years, I have done a ton of games at the Huntson Center, and I think I've had a more energetic, boisterous crowd that was into it from even before the game started like we had Saturday night. That was an electric atmosphere. And I've done BYU Utah games there in Salt Lake City before and that was just a tremendous atmosphere for college basketball and it was great to see. And the Utah fans got rewarded with that overtime win, a huge w for Craig Smith in his program. But it was great to see that again. I've seen good crowds and full houses at the Huntsman Center before, but of all the games I've been to, they're up at the Huntson Center. That was probably the best in terms of atmosphere and fan engagement that I've seen, probably in all the years I've been going to games at the University of Utah.
Speaker 2: I agree a lot of fun and there were a good number of BYU fans, but not as many as I thought, because the rumors prior to the game was, you know, BYU fans, we're gonna grab all the secondary market tickets in the upper Bowl, and because Utah fans at times don't fill that lower Bowl, there was gonna be a lot of blue. There was some, not a ton, But let's get into the game and I'll tell you what roxy you like to start the season. When we're doing kind of a little preseason stuff to preview the Big twelve schedule, I looked at January eighteenth BYU here in Salt Lake and I'm like, well, that's probably going to be an ass kicking. And I don't know if anybody would argue that Craig has near the talent that Kevin does. I mean, reports are Jegor Demon is a seven figure nil kid and last Jonathan Cavoni, Matt Mack I looked at he was number seven off the board. Canon Catching's is all supposed to supposed to be a first round prospect, although I don't really see it with him just yet. But I don't feel like Craig has near the talent Kevin did. And certainly home court advantage helps. And you know, had a couple of performances from some players that were quite frankly things we hadn't seen before.
Speaker 1: But what stood out most to you.
Speaker 2: About the way the game played out that allowed Utah to get that win on overtime.
Speaker 5: Well, first off, I explained a little bit more for free flowing offense, and it didn't really come to fruition Saturday night. With the way Utah have been playing this year, second in the country and assists Spence, the ball has been whipping and moving around for the youths this year and it didn't really happen, probably because BYU, I think had it well scouted and they do for things, so I think they took that aspect away and tried to limit the movement and they were with the physical battle between the two, which I did anticipate just because of the rivalry, and that was the one thing I thought we'd get a score in the eighties. We did, it was overtime in the low seventies. But it was a fierce competitive battle from the outset, and I was really impressed with the toughness that really both team showed, and in Utah trying to defend the home floor crowd certainly was into it with Kavakata playing on the other side at starting for Utah, and it was really just an intense game from the outset. That's the one thing that really stood out to me is just how locked in both teams were and how physically intense this game was.
Speaker 2: I imagine you had a chance to catch up with Craig before the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, oh yeah, I saw.
Speaker 5: I was there shoot around. In fact, I was talking to him for about five minutes about twenty minutes of four tip over the hallway. So yeah, I have had a great relationship with Craig going back to his days in Utah State.
Speaker 2: So he's like the best dude as you know, and I'm pulling hard for him his son bountiful lum Rock stand. I know you don't have time, but when you have time later you can look up the nineteen ninety seven Bountiful Braize basketball team, the one state. People around here believe it's the best high school team in the history. I don't say that, even though I mean I may have been on the team, but I don't say that.
Speaker 1: It's not me.
Speaker 2: And so his son played for the same high school coach I did, so I used to run into him at some of those games, and I pull for him, and I felt so happy for him with this win, and he's had good wins in the past out of win over Oregon, and so we're hoping ultimately this is not only a moment in time, but can you shed a little light on some of the portions of your conversations with him and his thoughts on this group and what they could potentially do this year.
Speaker 5: First off, as you know when you talk to his fence, he's always upbeat, he's always positive, and the way he looks at things get so much energy and it's infectious, and I think his team feels that every time that they're on the practice floor, they're on this floor for shooter round, get ready for games in locker room, he gets them going and.
Speaker 6: They feed off it.
Speaker 7: And you're right they don't.
Speaker 5: Have the talent at BYU does, but Craig finds a way to get the most out of his talent, utilize the pieces. And the other thing about Craig is he recruits that style that he wants to play with the ball movement. Yes, Gate Madisen is a great shooter from the outside is going through a little bit of a funk right now, but he's also a willing passer. Last and lovering at center is a center that's averaging two and a half assists a game. It's a style that he recruits to and he wants to play, and to me, it's an aesthetically pleasing style, a putch because of the ball movement and how free flowing they go, and they shoot threes and he's excited. Look, they know this transition is not going to be easy the last ten years. I don't think anybody will give you the argument that the Big twelve has been the best league in the country this year.
Speaker 8: It's not.
Speaker 5: The SEC has shown that they are the best basketball league so far here, but I think the Big Twelve is right behind it. To be honest with you, With the way this league is balanced, you look at teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, after a rough opening to the season, has come on. There's a lot of really good basketball. Arizona's figured things out and it makes it challenging when you're in this league. And Houston's looked to me legitimate Final fourteen and that's now the competition level with Utah needs to embrace and I think they have and they stack up physically when you look at him, they look the part. And on Saturday night, it was a challenge to go up against BYU. They're on the whole floor and it seemed the emphasis in the second half was be physical, go inside, and that's where they took this game from BYU, with the physicality that Ezrasore played with and lost and lover and the way they were able to attack BYU on the interior.
Speaker 2: So I saw Craig on the sidelines of the Utah BYU football game and he was there to kind of do the basketball coach thing. It's like, hey, well you're all here, come see us play. And he told me about Ezra at the game and he said, you know, they were really excited about him East Carolina transfer, and he's.
Speaker 1: Had some personal stuff. Craig alluded to it after the game.
Speaker 2: He went home after the death of his grand and I got to say, Roxy, you're old enough to remember because I made this reference. And I think most young listeners are probably looking at me with eight heads. There's like a little Adrian Danley to this kid's game because he's not six ' eight, Roxy, He's not okay, he's listed at six to eight.
Speaker 1: He's like six ' five sixty six.
Speaker 2: But his the myriad of pump fix, the ability to finish with both hands. He's a better athlete than ad was because the knock on your head, but finishes with the right hand, finishes with the left hand. And Kevin threw everybody at him. He threw for foose tray or he at him. He threw ke Bacade at him. And it didn't matter who was guarding Ezra Sar. He just got whatever he wanted. And I didn't know he had that in him. And I know he had a nice game against TCU, but that was next level. What are your thoughts on what you saw from Ezra?
Speaker 5: It seemed like he was a different player in the second half Saturday night, maybe because the emphasis to get him the basketball, but he was unstoppable. And he went to town. B what you knew what he was going to do, and they couldn't stop him. And every shot was either right at the rim or within five c And it's not like he yet it on the perimeter and nailing threes or even hitting the mid rage jumper. It was all attack, attack, attack, and he's got that to his game, that toughness, strength and a nice compliment to loss and Lovering who isn't really your low post big man. He's more of a face up and looking to pass and facilitate, where Ezra just completely just game over in the second half. Two points at halftime was a non factor for the most part in the first half, but certainly in the second half. In in overtime it was a point of emphasis. Then they had to sweat it out with all the free throws they missed down the stretch. And that's one thing that concerns me going forward, Bence, is their struggles at the salal line and guys like Leering Ezra, who have the ball a lot and are attacking, get to the line a lot, but they miss a lot of free throws and it became shaky down the stretch for Utah.
Speaker 2: So before we get over to BYU, because I do have some questions about Kevin's team. I was really happy for Hunter Air and who is a BYU transfer?
Speaker 1: And it's fun.
Speaker 2: You know you mentioned Gabe and his shooting struggles. I will say this, I thought BYU did a remarkable job on Gabe. You know, they started with Mowatt mag on him. Richie Saunders chased him around for a while, Dawson Baker chased him around for a while, but every single screen he came off of BYU was ready. They blitzed him this and two. So he just didn't have a lot of space. And he's the type of shooter like Steve Kerr. And I'm before people get crazy, I'm not saying Gabe Matt's and Steph Curry everybody calmed down, But Steve Kerr always talks about I want Steph to take five or six horrible shots a game because when he gets going, you know, it's unstoppable. And when Gabe gets going, he's one of the elite shooters in this conference. So I'm fine at times with a fadeaway three to get the feel. But I thought Gabe was really mature with his ability to handle the space and the gravity effect allowed some open shots, but nobody could really capitalize until Hunter came in and knock down a couple of massive threes. He did airball free throw, but he stepped up and hit three free throws and his nine points during the final portion of the game, both in regulation on and overtime. Utah doesn't win that game without Hunter Rickson, so I was really happy for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no question, and the clutch plays you alluded to, and with Mattson, he needs to be a volume shooter on this team, and he is their best shooter. Okay, maybe not percentage wise, but he's got to be the guy that they look to to take the big shot. And that's what Craig's getting at with him being a volume shooter and those tough, challenging shots, those fadeaway threes end of a shot clock, when he's got a fire and he's off balance and falling out of bounce. Those are the type of things that Gabe needs to do for that team. And when you look around this group, he's the one that's capable of doing that. Shark Jompson is more of a creator. He can score. You know, other guys on this team there's things they can do, but at the end of the day, Gabe has looked to as that guy who needs to be the volume shooter. And look, he's second in Utah history and three winners may and that's why they're going to keep going to him because he's not afraid of the big moment either.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, before I get to bring him young, What are you willing to say about Utah's Big Twelve chances this year? They're not winning the conference, but they've won three straight games. Could Craig somehow, some way get this team in the NCAA Tournament.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't rule it out because of what you alluded to. They've won three straight games and if you can come up with some clutch wins along the way, they're eleven and six overall to five hundred league. They got a tough game with Houston coming up, which on the road, and I think I think Houston's really good Spence. I had them early, and I'm so impressed with the way that they play. They're so tough mentally and physically. They just pound you and they beat you up, and to me, they're the team to beat in the Big Twelve. I think as good as Iowa State is and Kansas certainly over the years. I don't think this is a great Kansas team. For Bill Selp, I think they're really good. But to me, I think Houston is the best team in his league.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, And you know, we'll see how Utah stacks up. But I'm not going to take a ton away from that game because Houston might win by thirty and you know, ultimately, I don't think it would change a whole lot because there's a gap between those two teams all right.
Speaker 1: Over to BYU.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing, Like, you know, Kevin Young gets that job to a lot of celebration, a lot of a lot of BYU fans, you know, really really excited about the potential.
Speaker 1: And Kevin comes from the NBA.
Speaker 2: His bench is littered with assistant coaches that have NBA experience. They bring in an NBA strength and conditioning staff and nutritionness from the Phoenix Suns, and suddenly the collective starts paying a lot of money to get talent. I reference Diego Demon, who reportedly is a seven figure kid ken and catching is a lot of people think he's a first round prospect. Is making good money aged the bands, is on his way to play for Kevin next year. But you know the deal, Roxy, when you clearly have the talent on paper, you got to show you can coach.
Speaker 1: And he hasn't this before.
Speaker 2: This is his first go round and they're obviously close, but the fact of the matter is they're own to five and quad one opportunities, they're own four in games decided by five points or less, and they have not won a road game. They have to win tonight. What stands out most to you is you watch this early project that Kevin is tasked with leading.
Speaker 5: Well, it is a work in progress and it's different the way Mark Pope went about it. And certainly that offense was fun to watch as all the threes they shot last year. This is the team of still making threes, but they go about it a different way. And you know, Demon, he hasn't been the same since he hurt his knee in early December and that game against Providence, and I think they're hoping at some point it clicks back in for him. But you could see the talent in terms of his ability to create for others. He is not a scorer as of yet. He clearly needs to get stronger. But it's a talented team and right now, Catchings, for example, I think is going through a confidence is and that's a problem for them. He was really well early, but the last five games he has really struggled and trying to find his way again. And I think it's more mental than it is physical right now for him, Spence, and the talent's there, we see it, but he's got to get back on track and it's supportant for BYU that he does. And the interesting thing about them, Spence is I've talked to a few coaches and some NBA people.
Speaker 7: They think Richie.
Speaker 5: Saunders might be an NBA player. That the things that he does, how quickly he gets his shot off, the toughness that he plays with, that the energy he provides. Look, I'm not saying he's going to be maybe a regular rotation top guy in the NBA, but there is a lot of people that feel, including some coaches around the Big twelve, that Richie Saunders is an empty player.
Speaker 1: Well Mark badly wanted him at Kentucky.
Speaker 2: You know, he had a good offer to take off to play for his former head coach.
Speaker 1: And he's a good player.
Speaker 2: I mean, he means a lot to them, and I think they'll figure it out because that talent is undeniable and I just don't know if I can coach. I'm not trying to be critical here, but this is his first time. When you have the talent, we're going to talk about the coaching. Let's take advantage of the final few minutes to get a little hockey in roxy as.
Speaker 1: We are now.
Speaker 2: We are now hockey Town, USA. Of course, with the Utah Hockey Club here and then to Detroit. Well they might have a claim to it. We don't because we're still very early in our experiences. But you know, I've been to four or five games. It's so fun. I love watching that sport live and the NHL Live is something else to watch. These guys do what they do on skates forwards and backwards, like go out and try and skate in the straight line.
Speaker 1: See how that goes for you.
Speaker 2: But they've been up, they have been down, they have been up, they have been down. They've won a couple of straight games. And you're gonna call a game of theirs this week. What stands out as you do your prep, as you learn about the Utah Hockey Club, what stands out most of you.
Speaker 5: Well, right now, it's the play of the top line and basically the connection that Cooley Keller have. Keller last night coming back after getting popped in the eye and eat it. Stitches had the big game, and well if Utah's had it home for some reason, they played well on the road. Marino coming back I think is a boost for them on the back end. They need Surgachev back going again, and Connor Ingram being back certainly helps. But the top line right now, the way that they are rolling, even with gun Through being out. But the play of Keller and Cooley right now, it's just fun to watch those two. They have a chemistry, a connection right now that's really fun to see.
Speaker 2: Do you think as we sit here today they have fallen a little bit, but there's still somewhat in the mix for the wild card. They've got forty seven points, Calgary has fifty one, Colorado has fifty seven. They've fallen behind both Vancouver and Saint Louis. And look, you know, Bill Armstrong, I think I mentioned this to you. It was I got such a kick out of this. The introductory Utah Hockey Club kind of rally press conference included mostly players. At the beginning, Spicy Tuna stole the show. Fans were going crazy. Coach Torney took the mic, fans were going now, and Bill Armstrong took the mike. He's like, hey, everybody knows we're rebuilding, right. He's like trying to temper expectations. And so, you know, knowing what they were last year in Arizona and understanding how young they are, I felt like, if they could get a wild card, that would be a massive win.
Speaker 1: Do you think they have that in them this year?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't rule it out. He's are they gonna They're gonna happen on some home games because, as you know, it's been tough sledding for them. Well, for whatever reason, if Delta center this year, that has to get corrected if they're going to be a playoff team. But the interesting thing here down the stretch, and you alluded to the days in Arizona, is they haven't been through this as far as down the stretch being in a playoff race. If they are there, how are they going to handle this? And even let's say they don't make it this year, hypothetically, the experience of going through this will pay dividends for them going forward. But you look at the young core of this group and it is a talent group that is just going to get better and better. There's a lot of talent coming, whether it's in the miners right now are still playing in juniors, but they have drafted well at least by prospect wise, that the bright future if they happen to not make it this year. But I wouldn't rule it out with considering this group right now. But this is a key stretch for them, and they have to find bays to win home games. That was a good win against Saint Louis over the weekend in Winnipeg. They've got to keep it going and finding ways to win on homelights.
Speaker 2: All right, Roxy, before I say you loose, we now have a college football national champ in is Ohio State, and we now have the first iteration of the twelve team expanded CFP behind us, so we can diagnose ultimately how we digested it and the change is the need to be made. I just kind of wonder, as a guy that's covered this thing forever, what do you make of this new college football playoff and how we crown a national champ.
Speaker 5: I like the fact that they value the conference championship. To me, that was important, Spence, that was one of the famous for me that I wanted to see if they were going forward with the twelve team playoffs, you win the Big twelve, you win the ACC in the SEC, you should be rewarded with a first round by And I also like the fact they rewarded the group of five with Boise State. Now do I think Boise State was one of the elite teams, know? But I think they earned it and so you put them, you give them the buy. But now Ohio State, give them credit. They had to win four games along the way. They smashed Tennessee, they went to the Rose Bowl and they beat Oregon, and they won these last two games until Knights, And give them credit. They earned this national championship and this is the way we should be doing it, deciding it on the field. Okay, we had a lot of blowouts in the opening round, which stinks because we want competitive football. I do believe that going forward will get better opening round games. I do see the format expanding again at some point, just Spences, we know there's way too much money in television and putting these games on, So I do since we'll get an expansion. I don't know if it'll go to sixteen or what the next step will be. But this isn't going backward. You don't see playoff fomats move backward. At twelve is too many. We're to go down to eight, that's not going to happen, and so I'm just anxious to see what the next step is. But I do like that we got home games. Maybe you make the quarterfinal round home games well, rewarding those top four seeds. But I think it's great for college football when you get these type of matchups. I just wish we had more competitive games, to be honest, we only had a handful of them in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you there, all right, My friend, always appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Great to catch up, save travels as you are now the voice of Utah Sports, and we'll get.
Speaker 1: You on soon, okay, anytime. Man, the great.
Speaker 2: Roxy Bernstein, our old buddy from the PAC twelve network. It's funny how many of these broadcasters we met as a PAC twelve institution here at vers of Utah. But he now does a grip of stuff for ESPN ESPN Radio. He is a Heisman voter and one of my favorite people that I've met in this business. He is on social media at roxy Bernstein is where you find him doing some EYU basketball tonight against Colorado, doing some Utah Hockey club against the Wild and on Saturday as the Utah Women and the BYU Men. So a lot of Utah content for a guy Roxy Bernstein. Coming up, I will catch break. One hour down, three hours to go. Matt Brown college football, college football media member writes a great newsletter. He was on the ground in Atlanta, So we'll get Tim coming up on the other side. But before we catch a break, it's time now for a little bit of breaking news. Do we have the worst breaking news center in media? I hope so we might. It's very newsroom. Aaron Sorkin ish, there's nobody. Usually breaking sounders include a vo of a guy being like.
Speaker 1: This is breaking news. Do you want me to do that? Yeah, go ahead. You can't put me on the spot. Now it's live radio.
Speaker 2: We're on the spot for four hours, so let's fire that up and let's do a little Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 1: And now breaking beaves. That really made a big difference. Thanks. Real salt Lake has added.
Speaker 2: Brazil Brazilian goalkeeper Raphael Cabral. So that rumor was floated out by our guy Tom Bogert. Raphael Cabral Porter, you should know that he's really good with the ball at his feet.
Speaker 1: Ah yep as a goalkeep yep.
Speaker 2: Thirty four year old Brazilian keeper so Zach McMath is having surgery. Gavin Beaver's has been loaned to a Danish club RSL.
Speaker 1: Looks like that they're starting keeper Rafael Cabral.
Speaker 2: College football season came into to an end last night in Atlanta, Ohio State is your national champ Our next guest was on the ground. I believe I saw him send out a picture on social media. He's been one of our favorites to college football all year long. The writer and creator of one of my favorite college football newsletters called Extra Points.
Speaker 1: My buddy Matt Brown on a Tuesday. Matt, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You were on the ground in Atlanta last time? Yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I just got back to Chicago about twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 7: It was a little bit of a zoo.
Speaker 9: Getting out of town, but.
Speaker 6: I was there and it was a truly excellent experience.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that environment, what was the percentage of Ohio State fans versus Notred Notre Dame fans And what was it like to kind of be on the ground there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was probably her around sixty percent Ohio State, maybe fifty five percent Ohio State. Normally, I think in these kind of circumstances, the Ohio State fans will generally take over a building, but Notre Dame is probably right up there in terms of as large and as national of a fan base and one that can afford to show the ridiculous amount of money for a ticket. I mean to get in the building leading up to the game, the tickets were over three thousand dollars to go just get at the very top row, easily the most expensive championship game ticket in the last last decade or so. And when that kind of thing happens, especially when you're playing in a really big NFL stadium where you have a really high roof and the sound kind of moves around differently, I think there's there's always a legitimate fear that it becomes more of a sterile, corporate environment rather than the more passionate, collegiate focused event that.
Speaker 8: You would expect.
Speaker 6: But I really found this to be a pretty high energy, high energy game, high energy crowd. Things kind of began to low a little bit in the middle of the third quarter when it looked like Ohio State had already won the game, but Notre Dame came back pretty quickly, and it was it was loud, it was it was, it was intense, and the level of relief I would say from Ohio State's coaches, their players, their staffers was very significant once you get on the ground here, because this is not the typical championship journey. The typical championship expectations are pressures.
Speaker 9: It's a I think it's it's a complicated ending for this team.
Speaker 1: And we'll get there in a moment.
Speaker 2: I have not seen a final number as far as the TV ratings go, but as you reference, if it's three grand just to get in the building, I would imagine that the powers that be in college football, and I would imagine when we see the number, the powers that be in television are probably going to celebrate this twelve team format. Right it feels like it's probably checking all the boxes for the people that make the decisions about this stuff.
Speaker 6: Oh I think, I think, unquestionably for anybody on the financial or business side of college athletics or this industry. The first year of this call team playoffs was a massive, massive success.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 6: You were able to prove that you could host a campus site game on short notice and some notoriously difficult to UH to reach UH and and handle the environments right. Like, I don't know if any of you guys listening have ever been to State College Pennsylvania where Penn State is, but there's basically two hotels that it's in the middle of nowhere. It's a giant camping trip. They sent one hundred thousand people uh on on on the ten days notice to pulled off a game. There's not a lot of hotels in South.
Speaker 7: Bend, you know, on recruiting visits.
Speaker 6: People typically have to stay in Chicago or Michigan. They hosted a playoff game, you had, you had strong attendance, strong ratings UH and and improved ratings and and buy into the end of the regular season. So there's certainly things I think to be tweaked or improved, and those are things that the administrators are going to be talking about over the next couple of weeks. But I think it would be hard to draw up a better bracket, better result, better better finale for any of the Bean counters. Don't we had this year?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Moving over to the wild ride that it's been for Ryan Day, And look, yeah, you know, I don't know that I have an accurate frame of reference for how intensely passionate, maybe at times crazy Ohio State fans are. And I get losing to Michigan four times in a row is a really bad look. And I don't know how they lost to Michigan this year with how good they are, how deep, And I get it, I really do. But Ryan Day is a coach that has a better winning percentage than Jim Tressel. He has a better SMP index than Urban Meyer. He's now one of three current coaches that have won a national championship. And it feels like if they moved on from him at the age of forty five, he could pick his next job. How real was the heat around him? And what did this run say to people that think he should not be in charge there?
Speaker 6: The heat was meaningful. It was not a situation where I think he was in danger of Ohio State actively terminating the contract. And a large part of that is just because his buyout would be would be absolutely prohibitive. But the stresses on him and his family there were I saw some reports leaving the game that there was like extra security around his house after the Michigan game. Uh, he gets to that point when you realize like it's not worth it, especially because Ryan Day spent a lot of time in the NFL and and had interest in the NFL positions have as indicated that they had interest in him before, and so that the kind of mood and thought in a lot of the corners of the industry was if Ohio State lost early in this playoff, after the amount of money that was allocated for this roster, how senior laden and experienced this team was, and those kind of expectations, if it blew up in their face, then rather for the termination, there would be a kind of you know, mutual amicable parting of ways, and you know, maybe he goes to make the cult's job or something right, But that's that that isn't what happened, And it wasn't just that Ohio State had lost to Michigan four times in a row, like yeah, I think I think days like seventy to ten. He has one of the highest winning percentages legitimately in like college football history, but it's like every t all ten of those losses were especially brutal for Ohio State fans. Right, You lose to Michigan four times in a row. You lose two games in a row to Oregon.
Speaker 7: You had the.
Speaker 6: One versus two matchup earlier in the year in Eugene, and then you had Oregon the year before as your premier not out of conference game when they really weren't that good, and you had C. J. Stroud and you lose. You had the very winnable playoff game against Georgia when they won the national championship by roughly eight hundred points, and things kind of fell apart in the fourth quarter and you missed the shift the yard field goal, and that's the end of it. Right, There's something I think acutely frustrating about being a team that wins almost every single game, often in a way that fuels psychologically frustrating to the fan base. And then the last three or four years they've lost most of their big games unless they're playing ten states. Who has the same problem, and I think whose fan base is facing a similar kind of neurosis so then to go from all of that and all of the negative energy to not just beating four really good teams in a row, but mostly beating the absolute snot out of them in a way that they really didn't do it to any competent team during the regular season changes everything. And if anything, I think this actually might be an interesting case study for how you have to handle load management in the twelfth team playoff era. You're gonna have to play an NFL schedule to win a national championship. You're gonna have to play sixteen games. You can't empty the chamber in early October. And that might mean not that you're hot dogging it or anything, but that might mean that you're willing to trade some less exciting finishes or some closer margins of victuers than you might expect to keep your team fresh and ready to go in late December and January. And that's what Ohio State did this year.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any chance?
Speaker 2: And maybe this getting older because I'm thinking what it would be like to win. He's finished in the top ten every year he's been the Ohio State head coach. As you reference, he's seventy and ten. That's third all time winning percentage in college football, one of three coaches to win a national championships as I reference, Do you think there's any part of him that's like, I'm over this and maybe he decides that he would like to go do what he does at a top the very you know, highest of levels somewhere else. If I don't think he'd leave for a college job, but you think, you know, all of the pressure regardless of what he seems to do, is that something that maybe he says, I'm not interested in doing this for you people anymore.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's entirely possible if that conversation is going to happen. I'm not just going to you know, it'll be happening after the championship parade and after something else. I think the next month in Columbus is.
Speaker 9: Going to be fascinating.
Speaker 6: Just I was to see how fans and I include myself in this honestly, how they reconcile their previous sentiments with this guy and compartmentalize the frustration over the last few years With the final result. I understand that many people listening to this and think, how on earth could you go seventy and ten and be unhappy like that sounds insane. People Utah and dou Fans walk across broken glass to have some kind of a run of success like that. But I think you also have to remember that urban Meyer, when he was the coach at Ohio State, had Ohio State in the top ten every single year, made the playoffs several times, won a national championship. Had there been a twelve team playoff era, I think Ohio State would have almost certainly won at least another championship during that era. And then Jim Tresno before urban Meyer had Ohio State in the top ten almost every single year and won a title. Like you really have to go back to World War Two to find multiple years in a row where Ohio State has sucked. It's probably the most recession proof program in college football.
Speaker 9: And that isn't me just saying that as a.
Speaker 6: Guy that was born in Columbus, Like look up sports Reference man like that.
Speaker 9: That's that they have the highest.
Speaker 6: Floor of anybody in the in the sport. So you come in and you're just a pretty good coach, You're gonna win nine games there. Now you have to really really screw up to bottom out. And I think that that juxtaposed to the results on the field. Is why you saw this awesome frustration I need. If a day decided in two weeks, I did what I said I was gonna do. I'm gonna go coach with the Colts. I'm gonna go work with grown men. Forget this. I couldn't blame him, but I don't know enough to know if that's if there's an opening right now that that would be of interest to him, given you now now that now there's a title.
Speaker 2: Defense Captain Morona, I wouldn't go seventy and ten in college football, Matt, if we're being honest, I mean you said b yu fans, you know, walking off, and you're one of the few media members I could actually make that reference to. But seventy and ten.
Speaker 6: I think would struggle to recruit in this environment. I remember, if it's been a minute, but I remember he rubbed a couple of people the wrong way. Yea very very passionate Hi, but not everybody was always thrilled with his approach. You have to be a little bit more of a team player in this era.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about the chief captain of the need fights. He'd ad just you know that sure.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, definitely definitely team schematic mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, moving on before we start getting emails. I just knew you were the one that I could ask that question too, for obvious reasons. All Right, we had a lot of good college football guests on yesterday. We also had the game on our station at five thirty, and I asked them all the same question, Matt, because I just felt like, in my opinion on paper, that was a mismatch last night, and so I said, can Notre Dame make this a fair fight?
Speaker 1: Do you think they did?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: Unquestionably. I mean the first ten minutes of the game. I think laid out exactly the script that Notre Dame needed, which was run a lot of qv power and hold the ball for eight minutes and just paper cut Ohio State to death and limit the number of possessions. They are times that Ohio State could score buck guys scored touchdown their first four Because Notre Dame was so shit at the beginning of the game, the margin never really got out of hand. I think that the only real mismatch on that game was Ohio the Notre Dame's ability to throw the ball downfield versus Ohio State's secondary. If Nelson has to throw in the ball thirty two times in the game, Notre Dame's gonna lose. That's not a team that's really built to come back, and they almost did.
Speaker 7: There was a there was a pathway for them to win.
Speaker 6: It would have looked a lot like the Michigan game where you just dragged the drag Ohives stayed into the mud to make the fight in a phone booth. They just weren't able to do it for four quarters. They're really only able to do it for about fourteen minutes.
Speaker 1: So equal time here for coaches.
Speaker 2: Because I've been wildly impressed with Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 1: Didn't start out well with that home loss.
Speaker 2: To Marshall, and obviously Week two wasn't Northern Illinois this year, But what would it be like at the age of thirty five, your first head coaching job is you're the head coach of Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: You know, like that's that's a wild thing.
Speaker 2: And as I've listened to him more throughout this run and studying him more throughout the Notre Dames, you know, march to the National Championship game, I've been wildly impressed with his communication, wildly impressed with the way his players respond to him. He kind of just feels like this rising star in the ranks to college football. So what stands out most to you about this kind of wonderkins rise we've seen from from Notre Dame's head coach Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 6: Sure, and maybe this market doesn't know about this or I don't know if it was, you know, mentioned on the broadcast four hundred times, but Marcus Freeman, of course played at Ohio State. He's from Ohio, and as Ohio State fans went to the message boards over the last two years contemplating ejecting Ryan Day in the space, one of the two people that everybody said we should go bring we should go bring home would be Marcus Freeman. I think you're exactly right. The most impressive thing that I think he's managed to do this season was take what is normally the most unlikable brand in college football and make them likable and make them fun. It was fun to root for Notre Dame this year. They're They're running an inspired triple option kind of offense. They're one of the only major teams where where the quarterback run game is an integral part of what they're doing. They had two really exciting offensive skill position players. And this team, you know, they had like five starters missing multiple NFL guys due to injury, and they were counted out nationally after that. Northern Illinois lost, you know, by like week four, you right, And part of that's just because they got a little bit unlucky with the schedule this year. We in our lifetime, we have had so many Notre Dame coaches who are so deeply, deeply unlikable. I don't know if there are blood relatives that enjoyed watching and rooting for Charlie White's and Brian Kelly.
Speaker 9: Is not somebody that's going to be on the.
Speaker 6: Mister Congeniality Award list for anybody that works in the college sports industry. That's not what Freeman is. And he's not the stereo type of what a domer has typically been. I don't know if he's gonna end up staying there for thirty years. Nobody really does in this industry other than winningham. But if I was an Notre Dame fan, which I'm not, but if I was, I would be very heartened by this year. And I feel very good about where your coaching staff is today and moving forward.
Speaker 2: Heard a lot of college football media members complain about the length of time, the fact that it's January twentieth in this Monday night game. I get it, but you can't go ahead to head against the NFL. You're a smart guy. What do you think the solution is here?
Speaker 6: I don't really know if there is one. I understand the frustration too. I think in a perfect world, maybe this is a game that's played in the Central time zone and you go a little bit earlier and try to alleviate some of those things you already kind of got beat up on some of these early early playoff games by going against the NFL. The only thing I could possibly think of is potentially starting the season.
Speaker 1: A week earlier.
Speaker 6: But then you're looking at a lot of lost revenue from having maybe multiple games before class actually starts. It's one of the issues that the college baseball schedule has with the postseason goes well past graduation for many teams. The Final Four.
Speaker 9: Has the same issue too.
Speaker 6: The championship game is usually on a Monday, it's usually in the.
Speaker 9: Eastern time zone.
Speaker 6: It usually goes way past everyone else's bedtime. It thinks when I'm president, will the day after the championship game will be a day off.
Speaker 7: Just like the super Bowl.
Speaker 6: But that's we're not there yet.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: What do you make of I think Joel Klatt's the one that's been pushing this narrative of college football, making the Rose Bowl their answer to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I understand it from the perspective of tradition. And you know, look, even if you're a completely cynical person, when the sunsets over the mountains around the third quarter, it does look beautiful. The most cynical reporters. I know, I haven't covered a game there yet, but you know, tell me, like, no, when you touch the grass, you recognize that it's perfect. The very selfish state response for me, and this is not something that other people are going to care about, but you and I might care a little bit.
Speaker 7: Is that the Rose Bush.
Speaker 6: Is hard to get to, and when you host gigantic events in Los Angeles, because traffic is so bad and everything is so sprawled out, it's difficult to get hotels, it's difficult to do media availability.
Speaker 7: You just you're just stuck there.
Speaker 6: And there's there's really three cities where you can have a great stadium experience, and fans and everybody involved in the event can can.
Speaker 9: Be relatively close by and you can.
Speaker 6: Have all the programming within walking distance. I think that's Atlanta, It's New Orleans, and it's Indianapolis. I know everybody makes fun of Indianapolis that you've covered a major event there. You get it. You're not there to go, move or to go. You know, look check out the art scene. You're you're there for for this this major football game. It'd be cool for television. But having covered events to other places, I think if I had to go to the Rose Bowl every year, I would complain a little bit about being stuck in my car.
Speaker 1: And there it is. There, it is, Yes, the final the final point there.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know the narrative matters, you know, is that Ohio State Body Championship eight a grip of money for a group you know, twenty to twenty five mil.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the number is.
Speaker 2: But you know what's interesting, The majority of that revenue went to like returning players. You know, in a way, Ryan Day built this thing over a long game type play, and I think the narrative is like they just went and bought a bunch of dudes in the transfer port. They brought in some And we've been debating here because Utah football is bringing in forty one new players. It's a fifty three percent roster turnover, and you get it because they really struggled a year ago.
Speaker 1: But coach witz Mo has.
Speaker 2: Always been recruit, develop, retain, win, and the best Utah teams have always been teams that have had third four fifth year guys, so four eight you know, Rose Bowl, Pac twelve champs as well. And is that a model for success in college football? So how would you articulate the way Ryan Day and the Ohio State administration went about building this roster and allocating their funds.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is this is something I'm going to be writing about some more this week because I've seen that narrative too, and I do think it's missing the.
Speaker 7: Point a little bit.
Speaker 6: So, yes, the total payroll for Ohio States football roster was about twenty million dollars down on the field. Talk to the athletic director, roster Orke. He confirmed that Ryan Day alluded to it in the final press conference. Both people also said, and I'm inclined to believe this that that wasn't the highest payroll in college football this year. And it's hard to get hard and fast data about this, depending on who you talk to. Oregon, Texas, Miami, we're all in that conversation as well. That they didn't make it to where Ohio State did. What I believe you're seeing at this point. Now we have a couple of years of data. It's enough evidence to suggest that you can and should plug particular holes in your roster hea the transfer portal. And there's some position groups where it's easier to do this than others, but that it's very difficult to build the bulk of your roster that way simply because you need continuity.
Speaker 7: So one thing I think i'd.
Speaker 6: Point to you here is that every single starter in that championship game on Ohio State's offensive and defensive lines was a high school commit to Ohio State. Set the Blackmow, the center, you know, came from Alabama. You might have remembered that he had a truly horrific game in the College Football Playoff, had a couple of fumbles, That's why he was off.
Speaker 7: He was injured.
Speaker 6: I did not play through the through the playoff run, but most of those guys were seniors or or red yerd juniors, or people that turned down going to the NFL for the third or fourth round, uh, delaying their their their second contract to come back and and win a title. I think there's enough evidence to suggest you can definitely get a quarterback and in the transfer portal, And in fact, I think that's going to be pretty common because no one's going to sit on the bench for more than one year, so there's gonna be a lot of good guys, you know, will will Howard as a as a mid three star who got you know, bench for Adrian Martinez. It wasn't exactly like picking up Kayleb Williams in the portal, but like those guys exist, Ohio State had picked up maybe the best safety in the country. Uh, there was only available because Nick Staban retires and picked up a really good running back that the side. It was okay taking a substantially lesser role to split carries with a five star high school Ohio State commit. The place where I think you run into the most trouble is trying to build the line of scriptage that way. And it's just because there generally are not enough good offensive linemen that hit the portal and you really generally need a lot of experience and time and reps to build chemistry specifically within that unit. We're gonna see a couple of teams win championships in different ways, right. I don't think everyone has to do things exactly like Ohio State. You don't have to spend exactly that much money. And to be fair, a non trivial amount of that money was not donor money.
Speaker 7: Well, that was actual, honest.
Speaker 6: To goodness, legitimate corporate marketing deals, and Ohio State will probably you know then in Texas will probably always have the most legitimate corporate marketing deals, maybe Michigan in a in some years. But I think it's going to be easier to build a team where the majority of your players are people that signed with you as high schoolers or if they were transfers, stay with your program for multiple years, and then you go when you try to fill three or four holes in your roster each year.
Speaker 2: So the Big Ten now has back to back national champs. They have Oregon with Uncle Phil's money, they have Ohio State and Michigan. They have LA Chicago, New York. If you can't Rutgers, I suppose, and there are a lot of Penn State fans in Philly. They have some of the biggest markets in the country, They have some of the best teams in the country. Is it time to say the Big Ten is not just a pre emitive conference in college football?
Speaker 1: But it might not be close?
Speaker 6: Don't I don't know if I'm willing to say that it's it's overwhelmingly the best conference in college football. I think I think pound for pound, is probably still the SEC. But that gap is as small as it's ever been, and there's a reason to believe that that friend could change. And it's interesting because this is also true when you look at the the history of college football. The main entities that were opposed to giving athletic scholarships were Big Ten teams. Because those Big Ten schools were in more industrialized and large, larger metropolitan areas, it was much easier to give those athletes.
Speaker 7: Make work jobs.
Speaker 6: And schools in the South, which were often in smaller areas and less wealthy states and had less wealthy fan bases, wanted to give scholarships so they could be an equal footing because they knew that Michigan and Ohio State in Minnesota and Wisconsin kind of outbid death and then you went to the athletic scholarship model. There was some more parody. He had the under the table Bagman era where I think the Southeast really had a major advantage. And there's an argument to be made as to move into revenue sharing and move into a world where money above the cap that have to be tied to marketing deals and it's going to be more strictly like monitored via.
Speaker 7: The court system.
Speaker 6: Is going to give another big advantage to schools in not just larger markets, but that have richer fans and are tied to larger industries. And you can say what you will that there's a lot of great schools in the SEC, but the higher end institutions in the Big ten has fifty thousand students, you know, student student bodies, alumni networks of two hundred three hundred, four hundred thousand people, and law schools and medical schools and a deeper tradition of professional education and richer alumni than most schools in the SEC. So it's entirely possible that the pendulum was flewing back. You know, Auburn has pressurized lumber money, Georgia has alcohol money, Texas and Texas and m have oil money, which is a different level of rich and mean. The Michigans of the world have fast money, tech money. Larry Ellison's girlfriend, you know, besides, she's in Michigan sand So Larry Ellison cuts a three million dollar check for Bryce Hunderwood. There's things at Ohio State and Michigan and the s extent. You know, Wisconsin and Nebraska can do that. A lot of schools in the SEC can't.
Speaker 7: And that's going to be I.
Speaker 6: Think an uncomfortable cultural reevaluation compared to how people in the South look at their football programs over the last fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Final thing mad will set you loose. And you know, when I saw that you're on the rundown, I wanted to ask you about this because you'll be good with it. The US Department of Education, we've been waiting for a little Title nine guidance.
Speaker 1: We got it.
Speaker 2: So future revenue distributions from a school to an athlete or his or her NL rights are now what's called financial assistance, which must be made proportionally available to male and female athletes. I was not aware of this, but my news alerts tell me we have a new president that has been installed, so potentially this could change things. But what's your take on where we're at now after the Department what the Department of Education released and moving forward with a new president in the White House and a new administration, what effect could that have on this ruling?
Speaker 1: And where do you ultimately do you think we land.
Speaker 6: It's a great question, And what I can tell you, guys is I've been tracking this for over a year and talking to a lot of experienced litigators and attorneys that work in the Title nine space, and what I heard pretty consistently over the last nine ten months was that based on the letter of the law and based on court precedent and administrative precedent, and not just from like the Biden and Obama administrations, but you're going further back, you're based on on on the law.
Speaker 7: The Doees guidance here makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: There was, there was. That's part of the reason why you saw a lot of universities try to really hedge their bets with how with with with revenue sharing a needle with some of their work with NIL because they're very worried about that potential liability. So that's true on one component. So I'm not I'm not shocked that the advice came at all. I am shocked that it came, you know, three days before the Biden administration's out the door. The other kind of challenging thing though about Title nine is that there's no Title nine cops right. The Civil Rights Division of the Department of Education will go after you when somebody sues you, when there's a complaint, and that process takes forever.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: We have we have a case still pending right now with Oregon, and we're one of the components. Are are women athletes suing over uh, disproportionate publicity and and side benefits and and administrative support around nil to say nothing of revenue sharing.
Speaker 7: And we're not close to.
Speaker 6: That case being finished. So what a lot of a lot of universities in this market, in my market, across the country have decided to do is say, look, we're all speeding. They can't arrest all of us, and and we don't see enough state troopers out here. So I'm not going to adjust my speed. I'm just going to hope that I'm not the red Lambeau that that you know, that draws the FED detentions. First, like if the Feds can't stiffing in. Almost everybody in Division one is out of compliance and Title nine and in some capacity it's just not it's just not regular.
Speaker 7: It's not an worse very often.
Speaker 6: So this is a major question, is what this administration decides to do with this particular component of Title nine. And honest to God, I think that's that's not an easy political question to answer, right because you've had a lot of conservative activists points is Title nine as part of the justification for fighting back really hard against trans participation in athletics. You're going to have a lot of other conservative activists who are not willing to go to the mattresses to fight over equal distribution of financial payments for women's basketball players, to take money from football players and give it to women's basketball.
Speaker 7: Or women's volleyball.
Speaker 6: You're gonna have some conservative activists you don't think we should have Title nine at all. And I think there may be a real bipartisan conversation about.
Speaker 7: Revisiting that law because it wasn't written.
Speaker 6: For sports, and it wasn't really written for a world where where collegiate athletics becomes more explicitly professionalized. And that's a conversation worth having. So all of this is to say, I'm I actually am really frustrated that the Biden administration isided to do this because I think that just injects more chaos and uncertainty without a meaningful solution. And uh, it's not a good time to go be have a dot evu email address of working in this stuff here, because you're gonna get you're probably gonna get sued either way.
Speaker 1: Where can people go get all your work? Matt?
Speaker 7: You can find my stuff at extra Points MB dot com.
Speaker 6: Or Matt Brown EP on Twitter and Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. Have a great week and we'll chat too.
Speaker 6: Oh it's always my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me, I the great Matt Brown.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it's one of the best college football newsletters around. A lot of it is the business of college football things off the field.
Speaker 1: It's called Extra Points.
Speaker 2: Find it on extra points mb dot com or his Twitter pages at Matt brown EP. All right, got to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks before we catch a break. Prize Picks is the best place to get real money sports action with over ten million members. Now we've got conference championship weeks coming up and they're basically giving you a free square. It's Jaden Daniels. He only needs one passing yard and you win a square. And all you need to do is pick two or more players and their projections. You can went up to one thousand times your cash. So it's not the Seven Days of Picksmiths, but it is the Conference Championship Sunday. So Buffalo, Kansas City, Patrick mahomes more than two hundred and fifty three yards, Travis Kelcey more or less than sixty nine yards, Josh Allen rush for more than forty eight yards than Philly Washington SI reference. Jadon Daniels only needs one yard.
Speaker 1: That's it. To win the square.
Speaker 2: You got Jalen Hurts rushing for more or less than thirty one yards or Sakuon Barkley simply rushing for one touchdown. Check check Prize Picks for up to date player projections prior to the games coming up on Sunday.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal. Download the Prize Picks app today.
Speaker 2: Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars. Lineup download that Prize Picks app today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars.
Speaker 1: Lineup prize picks run your game all season long.
Speaker 2: Stand up comedian and Jim Jefferies will join the show today.
Speaker 1: I've watched a number of Jim's specials.
Speaker 2: What I'll say is, I'm not sure that it's the type of content that needs to be on sports talk radio. So have you order have you had a conversation with Jim Jefferies about the format that he is about to join.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know the deal, he doesn't know he's, you know, just promoing the stand up tour, not actually performing it. I'm always actually surprised, and I know I shouldn't be, because it's just they're just people. They're professionals like us. I'm always surprised at the filter some of those guys are able to have when they're like professionally able to speak the way that they do on stage.
Speaker 2: When you booked Rapaport and Studio, like exactly, if you've ever watched any of Rapaport's content, like he doesn't go more than one sentence without dropping the cursiest of curses and Jim Jefferies is kind of the same.
Speaker 1: He's an Australian guy. Have you ever seen in any of his specials. Yeah, they're like all on Netflix.
Speaker 3: He's got like six or seven of them up there, so I've seen I want to say, two or three, but definitely not like his whole.
Speaker 1: What do you call it discography.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his last special, This is Me Now, is on Netflix. I still I believe it's still on Netflix. His single day so I'm a single dad, as you know, both the son and now dog his single dad takes.
Speaker 1: Oh man, they're hilarious.
Speaker 2: They're not for on air consumption, at least on this format, but he'll be playing wise guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to be at the Eckles. Oh at the Eckles. The Eckles.
Speaker 2: So as part of the interview getting getting some free Jim Jeffers ticket, we do have a giveaway, so some of our listeners will get free Jim Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Now that giveaways, that giveaway is going right in my back pocket. I'll ask about you two.
Speaker 2: I'm not allowed to do that, but I would love to see Jim Jeffers live. So he's gonna hop on today then Mike Samford Junior rolls by for some more college football in the program. Some news that has kind of dropped since we have been on air and been very busy. Sounds like Josh McDaniels is being hired as the New England Patriots offensive coordinator for the third time, to work with Mike Rabel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: From what I understand, that was the second that Mike Rabel was hired. It was pretty much a sure thing that that would happen. And that's from guys that have been in locker rooms with those two and and know the relationship that Vrabel and McDaniels have, So yeah, I think that was that was one that it's surprising when you see it just because third time, same job, you're gonna give it another try. I think that this time around it's it's the pairing that they really like, and Vrabel was the one that made that happen for.
Speaker 1: The third time.
Speaker 2: McDaniel's back in New England to call plays be offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell. The Vikings agree to a multi year extension today as well. So obviously there's still NFL games to be played, but this is the time of year where a lot of the good teams are obviously still playing, so certain organizations are waiting for them to be done in order to find their next head coach. Ben Johnson has been hired officially this was yesterday as the head coach of the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 1: He will coach Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: What so, here's my only question about Ben Johnson. Have you ever heard him interviewed and have you been like blown away by his personality? He seems to be kind of like robotic, right, And I'm not sure that that's bad for a play caller, but I don't know if that's great for your head coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I share that sentiment because it is. It's one where you know, we can think of Andy Ludwig, a guy who I think is a really good play caller, a really good offensive formulator. But I would never see Andy Ludwig as a head football coach just because of his demeanor, the way he approaches the game. It's more about diagnosing. He's almost like a doctor. It feels like, right, he's figuring stuff out and trying to apply a fix to it. A head coach, in almost every circumstance needs a little bit of a little bit of I don't know whatever Dan Campbell has, right, and maybe that's something we have to get away from because you do see coaches come in and have somewhat some success that don't have that traditional traditional football coach field. But you know, I understand where you're coming from. But I want to see it now that he is the head coach, now that he does have that title, Uh does he adjust to it at all? Does he you know? Is he more upfront, more more public facing? And uh, well, we'll just have to see. But what I will say is I love I love some of his offensive designs, some of his play calls. You can call them trick plays, but a lot of times they're not trick plays at all. They're just designed to misdirect. They're designed to look like trick plays, and they're really simple formulations. I love watching his offense and I think with the rights of the right personnel, he could be really successful.
Speaker 2: All right, let me get let me get your take on this. So the final CFP rankings were released. Obviously, now the season is behind us BYU came in at seventeen Arizona State Land where did Arizona State Land?
Speaker 1: Oregon won?
Speaker 2: So BYU so Arizona State came in at twelve, BYU at seventeen, Iowa State eighteen, Colorado at twenty three. That rounds out your Big twelve teams as far as ranked in the final CFP rankings. When it came to the AP pole, Arizona State comes in at seven, BYU at thirteen. I know BYU fans are very sad today that SMU is twelve.
Speaker 1: It will be okay.
Speaker 2: BYU at thirteen, I was stayed at fifteen. Looks like that's it. Oh No, Colorado held on at number twenty five. So porter If BYU is thirteen in the final AP and they're seventeen in the final CFP, where's their preseasons next year? I feel like it's top twenty. I feel like it's like between fifteen and twenty.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: I think they'll be a top twenty five team when it comes to preseason rankings. But as you know, Spence, those rankings don't always reflect necessarily everything that you see at the end of the year. They're going to be taken into account of a bunch of recruiting rankings, a bunch of you know, prognostications of what this team will look like next year, I think by You will be a top twenty five team. I don't know that they'll be a top fifteen team in the preseason rankings.
Speaker 1: I think they'll be, you know, twenty two or so.
Speaker 3: But again, those are our things that why do we even do the preseason ones just to talk about in the radio, because we have.
Speaker 2: Four hours of sports doc rated to do porter Unfortunately, we can't just fill time talking about our favorite Jim Jeffrey stand up special.
Speaker 1: That's all it's for.
Speaker 2: It's for content for people like us to talk about, people like Mark Schlaba to ride about, because we're trying to rate interest in Do you want to talk about the jazz today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get there. We'll get there.
Speaker 2: Mark Schlabaugh wrote his Way too Early preseason top twenty five coming up for the Fall. BYU comes in at nine for sleay Ba's Way too Early Top twenty five. He has Ohio State as and they're the Vegas favorite to win it again. Texas at two, so a house date one, Texas to Penn State three, Notre Dame four, Georgia five, Oregon six, Clemson seven, LSU eight, b y U nine bringing back Jake Raetz laugh, LJ. Martin, Chase Roberts, Keeln, Marion Harrison, Taggart, Isaiah Glasger, Jack Kelly, and Tanner Wall. Jacob Robbinson is going to the NFL. Tyler Battie will play pro football, but he's graduated. Crew Wakeley transferred. Connor pay also will be playing pro football. So some losses, but a grip of players returning. Mark Haziowa State at eleven out of the Big twelve, Arizona State at fourteen. So he has Arizona State as the number three ranked team in the Big twelve.
Speaker 1: Kansas State.
Speaker 2: As we kind of scroll down, my guess is that's all for the Big twelve. And it is so no Colorado in the top twenty five. And obviously Utah has a lot of questions to answer. You know, I heard Joe Klatt talking about this on his pod this morning. He was talking about this from a Michigan standpoint, and he made a point that I thought was somewhat interesting. I don't know how much meat is on this bone, but I just thought about it through the prism of Utah and BYU, and I want to get your thoughts.
Speaker 7: Porter.
Speaker 2: He said, anytime your rival accomplishes something So like, if you're Sean Moore, if you're Michigan, if you're their ad and administration, you're looking at what Ohio State just did. You're looking at their formula, you're looking at their payroll, and because they are your rival, you're saying to yourselves, how can we get back on their level? Even though Michigan vet Ohio State this year? If your Utah, are you looking at what BYU did this year as a shot across the bow at all and using that as motivation to maybe get back to where this thing was not too long ago.
Speaker 1: I think you kind of have to.
Speaker 3: Maybe not, you know, in in all circumstances, all situations, is that your your guiding beacon.
Speaker 1: But you have to.
Speaker 3: And part of the reason is not just because their rival spence and you're wanting to best your rival. Part of that reason is because these two rivals are so interconnected. They are in the same market for all intents and purposes. They are in the same you know state. They are fighting for some of the same corporate money, which corporate money in college sports is now money for your roster if you can wiggle it the right way. So that's why you absolutely are looking at some of the things they're doing, both wrong and right, and trying to adjust to that, trying to, you know, maybe tinker with your strategy on how you approach this new landscape a little bit. You know, I think ultimately you're probably not going to use any other school as a guiding beacon again, but you're definitely keeping a side eye on not only your rivals, but also just teams that are similarly similarly suited to you, whether it's market or geographic recruiting footprint. There's a lot of that where you know, teams will teams will look for, yes, what b what you's doing, but also the other way around. We're by you've seen what Utah is doing, you know, developing players and the like. The same may go for Utah trying to see how they got their best defensive tackle to leave Salt Lake and go to Provo.
Speaker 2: This year, Utah Jazz went down to the Big Easy and dropped a couple of games with the Pelicans.
Speaker 1: They were ahead by twenty five points last night. TJ.
Speaker 2: McCollum had forty five six points at overtime the Pelicans. That's the largest comeback in franchise history. They came back to beat the Jazz. If you are looking to watch one of the best teams in the NBA that's actually trying to win, the Jazz are back in action tomorrow at Oka See.
Speaker 1: So not out for the Jazz tonight.
Speaker 2: Busy night in the NBA, of course, as we now have moved on from college football officially, so no Jazz basketball tonight, But there's a sneaky big game for one of our n state college basketball teams tonight BYU is at Colorado. Colorado is not good this year. I think they are the worst team in the conference record wise. I'm not sure they've won a Big Twelve game as I look up the standings in real time.
Speaker 1: In fact, they have not.
Speaker 2: They're zero to six and the Big Twelve they're nine and eight overall. B YU right now is two and four in conference. They've got to win tonight. They have not won one on the road, they have not won a quad one game, and as of now, they're not close to being projected as an NCAA tournament team. That two and four record in conference ties then with Cincinnati and Oklahoma State, Arizona State case Day one and five Colorado, oh and six. So BYU with kind of a sneaky big game tonight. Utah three and three in conference. And in case you missed it, Utah's next game has been moved.
Speaker 1: It was originally scheduled.
Speaker 2: For tonight and now will be tomorrow afternoon at four o'clock Mountain Time against Houston, who just is impossible. This will be a cage fight. This will be a physical matchup. Houston has big, physical NBA you know, prospects, future pros, and ultimately it'll be interesting to see how Utah stacks up. But if they keep with it, they stay within twenty against Houston tomorrow, I think that'll be a win. The women are in action tomorrow against Kansas here in Salt Lake. Utah State back at it after losing the UNLV last week. They welcome in Nevada tomorrow and Logan. So some college basketball top of mind this time of years. We are inching our way towards the IDEs of March. All right, two hours down, two hours to go. We're gonna take a little bit of break and have a little fun break from sports and eat Sports is fun. Stand up comedy is also fun. The legend Jim Jefferies, who's in town to play a show, at the Echos Theater. Will stop by coming up next, all right, rolling along on a Tuesday afternoon, We're gonna bring in Mike Samford Junior coming up to do a little college football. We'll launch it into the five o'clock hour of the program. But coming up on February the thirteenth at the eCos Theater here in Salt Lake City, our next guest is performing live. I've long been a fan, and so this is a treat for me to welcome in stand up comic actor, writer, et cetera, et cetera, Jim Jefferies on the program on a Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Jim, Happy Tuesday. How are you, sir?
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me mad, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: I got to ask you right out of the gates. Are you a sports fan of any kind?
Speaker 8: I'm a big sports guy. Yeah. I'm mostly followed baseball, so I'm lucky enough to support the Dodges, which we seem to get all the trades at the moment, and I follow the Clippers a bit because my son's mad into basketball. But I grew up watching rugby and rugby league in Australia.
Speaker 7: Do you know who Joe ingles Well, Cop I'll watch anything.
Speaker 1: Really, Okay, do you know who Joe Ingles is?
Speaker 8: Yes, Joe Ingles is. Joe Ingles played for Utah Juys for a long time and now he plays Oh he plays to somewhere else now. But he got Australia the bronze medal. Man. I know Joe Ingles, of course I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, because we had Joe Ingles and Dante ExHAM here and when they were here playing for the Jazz I was working over for the Jazz radio station and Joe was like the funniest dude.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was a basketball player, but he was just hilarious.
Speaker 2: What is it about the Australian humor that seems to tickle American's funny bone the way it does.
Speaker 8: I think a lot of it's got to do with phrasing. And we seem to be laid back, you know. It seemed to be cool guys, you know, but I don't know if we are. I think we're not as laid back as people say we are, you know. I think people thought we were cool for a while and then we got screwed over by Ray Gun in the Olympics, and it's really taking us back a few sticks.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'll the speak for myself. You know, I thought it was hilarious. I thought Raygun ruled. I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 8: There's a comedy club in Melbourne that's trying to do ray Gun the music, and she has sent legal papers trying to get it stopped, so she doesn't seem very chill.
Speaker 2: Old Reygun so high and dry out on Netflix right now, Jim, is that your seventh special that you released?
Speaker 8: It's my night ninth, but my seventh in America.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 8: And I'm recording another one in Chicago in about four weeks time. That will be released in about four months on Netflix. So I got one more in me.
Speaker 2: I think you've got more than one more in you. You're forty seven years old. You've got a lot.
Speaker 1: Left in it.
Speaker 8: I never try to look too much further ahead, you see, I see. I always think that the last one I'm going to do is the last one I'm going to do, and then no one's going to want to see me again or whatever. So I try to put everything into the next special, and then you think you're never going to record run again, and then about a year later you're like, this material is pretty good. I probably should try to record it, but in saying that I'm forty seven, I'm going to be my birthday Valentine's Day, so I'll probably celebrate it there in Utah.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, if you need somewhere to go, let me know. I know all the good spots around here. So seven specials here in the US. And of course that's how I became familiar with your work. I just actually know what before we get to what I was about to ask you, what you just said struck me because you know, we're sports talk radio show, but I like to branch out. And during COVID we had Jeff Schaeffer on the program, who's one of the producers of Curb Your Enthusiasm, And what you just said, Jim about recording a special and then believing this could be your last. I didn't know this, but Jeff told us that that's how Larry David was at the end of every season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. He said, I don't have anything left in me, and then took some time off and would record another season. Is that approach somewhat commonplace in your industry?
Speaker 8: I think that's a lot easier for Larry David than it need for you know, like it all so for him to go. I might not have another season. I could in me, what is the eighty years old? He might not, you know, to look at it like it might be the last one. But I think that is a common approach. I think it would be terrible to brag and just to go I've got ten more specials left in me. I'm going to go on forever or whatever, you know, if it all ends tomorrow, I'm happy with the body of work that I did and it's there for people to watch. My sons will get to see the specials, you know. So as I said, I just try to look one step ahead, you know, one step ahead. That way you're never too disappointed.
Speaker 1: Is it possible?
Speaker 2: Because I became familiar with you with Alcoholocaust back in twenty ten.
Speaker 8: That's one that's the best special. That's what Alcoholocaust is the one I'm most proud of. And no one saw it. It was it was shown on a showtime for like three or four times, and you have to see it online and it's not even on YouTube on my channel. But that's my best special with Alcoholocaust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you just answer my question.
Speaker 2: Because I was wondering if it was possible for you to rank who which you think your best one is, And that's the one that I believe, Jim was you at your peak. But it feels like and I've seen well, I'll just say I've seen all seven of the ones you released in America. That's why I thought, you know, in the United States, That's why I thought this was going to be you know, your your eighth coming up.
Speaker 1: It feels to me that you've and one of the things.
Speaker 2: I love about the craft, and I'm a huge stand up comedy fan. We always have stand up comics on the show when they're here playing in our market, because I think you people fascinate me. The courage that you have to do what you do and the fact that thousands of people show up to watch you with a microphone blows my mind. So from my vantage point, you've grown and evolved into a different place today. I don't know how much of that is just your your daily habits or just getting older. Is that fair to say? You know, since that alcoholic cost back in twenty.
Speaker 8: Ten, if I was the same like I was an alcoholicaust, I wouldn't be here now. Every day. Yeah. So you know, like you talk about evolving, a lot of it's just surviving. You know. Like if I think my second best special is probably Bare because of the gun control routine, and then my third favorite is Intolerant, and that's one that maybe rated the lowest out of all of them. But I look back on that special and I think that one's a banger. Yeah, of course you have to evolve. I'm a father, I got two kids. I couldn't talk about cocaine and prostitutes for the rest of my life. It's just it wouldn't have my wife wouldn't have been happy about it, you know. But my audience has evolved with me. So when I first started doing comedy, my shows to be at ten o'clock at night, and they'd be like a late night rock star type of thing, and everyone was young, and everyone was wasted in the crowd. And now as I go, more people in their forties are coming to see me now, and I've moved my performance time to seven o'clock because I know that we'll all be out of the theater by nine point thirty at a reasonable time, and we all can get to bed by ten.
Speaker 2: Where do you get the courage to do what you do. Where did you find that? Was that something you were born with? Was that something you developed?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: Louis came often drops the line like, have the courage to suck at something until you're grade at it?
Speaker 1: Did you always have it? Jam or is it something you developed?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: I didn't always have it. I did a few open mic spots when I was seventeen that went so badly that I didn't do it again ntil I was twenty. You know, I thought I couldn't do it again, and I thought about it every day until I turned twenty to do it again. And then for the first year from twenty to twenty one, I didn't take the microphone out of the stand because my hands would shake too much, you know. And then twenty two twenty three, I just sort of figured it out. And then I probably had more confidence twenty five to thirty than I ever had, you know, doing the actual job, because I was just fearless at that stage. And now I have to be fearless doing the job because I'm so old now that I have no other skills. If I don't do this job, what do I do? So I better be good at this, you know, and I've also learned this to be comfortable in my own skin a little bit more. It takes sort of fighting a persona more than finding a voice.
Speaker 2: You've done other things, you've acted, you know, you've written, you've produced. It seems like a lot of people just get that stand up comedy bug and they can't shake it.
Speaker 1: Is stand up your preferred thing juxtaposed to all the other things you've done.
Speaker 8: Stand up is what I'm best at. I would like to do more acting, but that's not that's not in my control, you know. So everyone always goes, are you going to do more acting? And that's not saying to somebody, are you going to sleep with good looking women? Well, it's not my choice, it's theirs, you know what I mean. So if someone if someone chose for me to be in a movie, that I'll be in a movie, you know, But it's not my decision. Where stand up comedy is my decision every day. It's my decision to book the shows in it's my decision to write you Jokes's my decision to get up there and perform. And so I love stand up because there's always been there for me. If if I've ever needed an outlet, or I've ever needed some creativity where I want to get my voice out, I can just do it with stand up, with acting and anything that deals with TV or production or game show hosting or whatever. You're at the mercy of the executives, and I'm not the mercy of the executives. We stand up.
Speaker 2: I wonder, and I know that people probably roll their eyes when I ask this question. But Jerry Seinfeld talks about having a yellow sticky pad by his bed and he wakes up and writes a joke based off of something he thought of either the night before or a dream.
Speaker 1: What is if you have one?
Speaker 2: Your process when it comes to writing your material.
Speaker 8: Well, I've never written a joke down. I have written a word here and there on my phone in the note section there's a whole lot of jumbled up words from in the middle of the night. You write down and the word will help you bounce off to the actual joke. But I've never actually written a joke down, or I've never actually sat down and thought, now I have to write. What I do is I joke around with my mates. I find something funny that I've said, and then I think, God, there's something in that. Then I started on stage thinking it'll be ten and fifteen seconds or two minutes or whatever, and then I try to expect it as much as possible, so the core of the joke starts out at home, and then most of the writing actually happens on stage, because it's just like when you're riffing in a bar with your friends. You know, oh, I can top that joke with this line and that line in this line and that line and get the audience rolling. And so something that might be two minutes sometimes you can expand that into a twenty minute routine, so you never know where it's going to go. I always feel like a new joke is like a chooser Own Adventure book, where you start off on this page and then you go, oh, jump out, I've got an idea for a joke on this other topic that's related to it, and then it becomes an actual thing with its own momentum. I know that sounds very portentious, but yeah, I do most of my writing on stage.
Speaker 1: No, it's really fascinating. I've never heard that before.
Speaker 2: I think I heard Chris Rock once upon a time say he tours for four years and wants to get something like two hundred shows under his belt before he knows the special is ready. What about you, Jim, how long do you tour before you know, Okay, this is a special. I'm ready to do this for an hour or whatever, one.
Speaker 8: Year, one year. But then sometimes, look, I always just put my best hour of jokes out. It doesn't matter if I've written the joke a year ago or if I've written it a week ago. If I've written a week ago and it's storming it gets into the special, I just burn it straight away, because the special is the most important thing I worry about Tomorrow. I worry about tomorrow, tomorrow, you know what I mean. The specials are such like, in this moment, this is the best I have to offer, So I really leave it all out there, and then I give myself a little bit of space afterwards to write a new show. Or I have twenty minutes that I sort of like that isn't quite ready, and I try to build around that. The most stressful time in any comedian's life is the day after a special comes out and you walk on stage. That's a hell of a day and you just smile through the whole thing and hope everything goes well. But often those shows go great because people can feel the creativity going on. All the spontane is in the moment stuff. Sometimes you can have jokes and you're doing for too long and you lose the lose the life behind your eyes when you tell a joke. You don't want to let it sit there for too long. There's like wine, there's a year you're meant to open that bottle.
Speaker 1: When did you and how did you get the bug?
Speaker 2: Did you see somebody perform and said I want to do that or did you have a favorite comic growing up?
Speaker 1: What what hooked you to this craft?
Speaker 7: Jim Well, Eddie.
Speaker 8: Murphy When I was a kid, see I never I never got to see like George carl And or Richard prior to stand up because in Australia we didn't have HBO and we didn't have stand up specials. You know, we had like occasionally you'd have an American on British comic who came out to Australia and they did five minutes on our late night show. But I never saw anyone do stand up to more than five minutes on TV as a kid, and that except for Eddie Murphy's Delirious and Eddie Murphy's Raw because they were cinematic releases so you could get them at the video store. So I rented out Delirious. I got my brother to run at Delirious for me so many times because he was of age, and I watched it over and over and over and over and over again. And that was the comic I wanted to be, was Eddie Murphy telling stories about his childhood and you know all that type of stuff. So Eddie Murphy was my favorite. But I always say to people who want to get into comedy, don't go see a big theater act. Go down to comedy clubs where you might see someone who's really bad. No one gives you more confidence in stand up than someone who's really bad at it. So that's that's the moment where you actually watch it, you go, well, I can do better than that guy, you know what I mean. So luckily for me, stand up comedy in the in the nineties in Australia was pretty weak and well, there were some very good comics, but there was a lot of weak ones out there, and I saw some people that I thought I might be better than.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a heavyweight now Jim, do you ever get over a joke bombing on stage? Because I've seen thousands of stand up shows and I worked in LA for a year, so I used to go to the store after I was done recording my stuff, And so to your point, I saw a lot of people work shopping material. And it's painful as an audience member when a comic tries a joke that just falls on deaf ears. Do you ever get over that or is it something that's always in the back of your mind.
Speaker 8: Immediately in the early days, I didn't, But it's like any drug, right, the highs get lower and the lows get higher. You know, it's very hard to chase that buzz over and over again. So in the same way that I can have a standing ovation at the end of the gig and go oh, I did okay, right, but early on in my career I would have just been as arrogant as anything. I would have been thinking about how cool I was for days and days afterwards. But the flip side of that is if I bombed, I went into a fitter depression. I just laid in bed until I had to go back on stage again, until I had to go to whatever job I was doing to pay the bills, but my self worth was very tied in with how good I was at stand up comedy. And as you get older, you have more and more good shows and more and more bad shows. More importantly, the bad shows don't bother you anymore, because I'm confident enough to know that a good show is just around the corner, you know. So sometimes I'll be angry with the audience because I think, well, that was a good joke, and I've done that joke in other places and it's gone well, and why didn't it go well for you? And then sometimes I'm most of the time, I'm angry with myself when the gig doesn't go well because I think, yeah, I could have I wasn't putting quite enough effort in, or I didn't get enough sleep or something like that, you know. So it's a bit of blame game going on, but I don't let it bother me for too long.
Speaker 1: When did you know you were good at this? When did you know? When you know?
Speaker 2: When you walked out on stage you thought, Okay, I've got this, I'm good at this.
Speaker 1: Now. How long did that take?
Speaker 7: It took?
Speaker 8: It took me four years of doing it to think that I was a good comic. And then at about six years I started to believe that, you know, not that I was great comic, but I believe that there was no comic on earth that I was scared of following, you know. And that was the last hurdle. That was the last sort of Jedi master thing where you're like, because there's always a comic where you go, oh, I can't go on after that person. That person's too good and the audience will know how shit I am or whatever you know. I mean, sorry swing there. But then there was a moment where I was like, no, I'm not scared. I can go on a bill with anybody in the world. And I still believe that to this day. And so I think that must be the same as like an athlete or something. When you start, you know, playing in the G League, you think you're a pretty good basketball player, but then when you're smashing it in the NBA, you think, all right, I must be good.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I know you reference some of the comics you liked when you were growing up. Who in the game right now do you enjoy, Like when you see they've released a special Aura pod.
Speaker 8: I think Anthony jesselnext last special was very good. I think the best special day that I've seen in the last decade, and it's only thirty minutes long, is Earthquake. Well on Netflix, he released a thirty minutes special that was presented by Dave Chappelle, and I was proper laughing at home howling. I thought that was really you know what, It made me enthusiastic about stand up. I love that he went out there and the jokes were punch punch, punch, lunch punch. It was just like being beaten up with jokes. They never ended. At the end of thirty minutes, I had to get my breath and I was like, you know, I can't do that. I linger on a joke too long. You know, there'd be a lot more air. It's a different style of comedy. But I really enjoyed his special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like there's this boom of stand up comedy now is Do you feel like that's podcast?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like that's social media?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 2: Why do you feel like there's been kind of this stand up comedy boom where so many stand ups are making good money now.
Speaker 8: Well, I was a little bit before the boom. You know I'm not. You know, my sort of peak ticket sales are maybe six years ago something like that, when there wasn't really arenas. Now people are doing arenas. I think we have. I think it's both good and bad. I've done a few arenas. I've probably done fifteen twenty arena shows in my whole career, and they always go okay, but they're never as nice as about a three thousand sext theater that's really comedy at its peak, where the audience still has a connection to the comedian and you still feel like you're talking to a room full of people and not just delivering material like you're on a big screen. So I think I think these arena comics are good for comedy because they're bringing in a lot of new fans to comedy who probably haven't seen other shows. But I think people will get tired of the arena shows and enjoying Once you've seen a comic once in an arena, I don't think you've see them twice in arena. I think you catch them the next time when they're in the three thousand seeder. But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like you're correct, because it's much better to watch stand up. In my opinion, in the smaller, more intimate venues, you're kind of you know, intimated there before I say you loose.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of people.
Speaker 8: Reported comedy specials and they did it like Madison Square Garden. I always put my comedy specials in a thousand seater because I feel it's the most connected to the audience you can get, and that's the best sort of gig you can have with the cameras all in close. And I told you that I don't like the idea of a comedy club because I like a big stage to move around on. But I think for the specials, I always go to a smaller room because I think it's a better product to actually see on TV. Because the people watching a special on TV, they don't give a crap if you're in Madison Square Garden or you're filling a baseball stadium or whatever. They don't care about that. They just want to see the material. So for the specials, you're really performing at the people at home, not the people in the arena. I think it's just people trying to show up a little bit. Look at how many tickets I've sold, you know, And it is impressive, of course, but I don't know if it's the best thing to watch on Telly.
Speaker 1: Before I say you lose.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I always like about going excuse me to see stand up comics that have had great success like you, is the knowledge And Jim, if you don't have anything here, I get it because you're not coming to salt Lake until February the thirteenth. But I always enjoy a humorous mirror to look at about our state or city.
Speaker 1: What do you know about salt Lake?
Speaker 2: We are we are a very interesting, interesting market, Jen, to say the least.
Speaker 1: What are you familiar with salt Lake? What do you know about it?
Speaker 8: I came to the I went to the Sundane's Movie Festival once, and I think I've done one other gig in Salt Lake. I look back when I back when I was a drinker, I thought your place was a bit silly, you know, But now that I'm sober, it might be my utopia. But I'm also not a big fan of anyone who lived not anyone. I could never live in the cold, you know, if you have to, if you have to get out of your driveway with a shovel, why would anyone want to do that. I drow up in Australia and I live in La so I don't know if I do have a lot to tell you. I've never speed in me life, but what I do do is with places like Salt Lake, I always come in the night before and you normally get the story you get from the night before is whoever drove you from the airport and whoever worked at reception in the bar at the hotel. That's my reference point for each city. So if you've got two nice people doing that, I reckon your city is great. And if you don't, I'm going to rip into.
Speaker 2: You fair enough. I think you'll experience only nice people here. Jim, but it's the Son of the Carpenter, will Son of the Carpenter Tour February thirteenth at that Echo Center.
Speaker 1: Jim, where do you want people go to get their tickets?
Speaker 8: Go to Jim Jeffrees dot com and you'll just be able to click on a link there. It's on the front of the page that I have all my two of dates.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir, this has been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: I've been a fan for a long long time and I'm going to be there at the Echos Theater.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait. So be safe and continue the great work.
Speaker 8: Okaye, make sure you come backstage and say hi afterwards.
Speaker 2: Oh happy to do it. That would be it would be an honor, Jim. So I appreciate that. Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: I appreciate you, brother, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right. Jim Jefferies out of a carpenter tour right now.
Speaker 2: Looks like he's going to be in Spoke Can coming up in Denver for a couple of dates. He'll be here February the thirteenth at the Echo Center. He has his special right now on Netflix called High and Dry. The best special in my opinion, the Jim released was in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: It was called Alcoholocaust.
Speaker 2: He's got a great bit on gun control. He has recorded ten specials. He's gonna record one in Chicago and so yeah, excited for that. I'll be there and maybe I'll be backstage apparently, which is awesome. Special thanks to Jim Jefferies.
Speaker 1: How about that, man? That was fun.
Speaker 2: I've been a fan of Jim's for like fifteen years. I watched all of his specials, and I gotta be honest, if you watch Jim Jeffries stand up specials. He comes across as kind of a grumpy guy, maybe somebody who's not all that front, a facne and very kind.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 1: He was great, he was. I was a little bit taken back. He's I'm gonna go with direct.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with direct because maybe I'm a little nihilist myself. So I kind of I'm with him on a lot of it. But it is, uh, it is. You're on the right track there.
Speaker 1: Did you just compare yourself to Jim Jefferies.
Speaker 3: I'm not nearly as funny, but I am maybe as nihilist.
Speaker 1: I guess does that work? Maybe you're the Jim Jefferies of Sportstoc Radio. I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Jim will be in town February thirteenth Eckles Theater for his tour. Go to Jim Jefferies dot com for tickets. Joining us now another comic powerhouse, A very funny guy mostly known for his football acumen.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Mike Sanford Junior back on the show on a Tuesday, Mike, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 7: They're awesome? I'm learning all kinds of stuff. The music you guys had coming in and Jim Jefferies. I mean, I feel like I'm in an alternate universe. I need to get with the times. Well, we've learned some pop culture in me.
Speaker 2: Well, you're you're a football guy. Football guys don't have pop culture knowledge. You know that because of all you care about is football, Which is good because I have a lot that I want to talk to you about today, Mike.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Obviously we have a national champ, it is Ohio State. You have coaching experience, So I wanted to ask you right out of the gates, what do you make of this wild ride the Ryan Day has been on for somebody that's been as successful as almost anyone who's ever done this job. Noise around him as little as like three or four weeks ago that he might be fired if he doesn't, you know, at least go to the championship game. But here he is the top of the mountain. What do you make of this Ryan Day storyline and the ride he's been on.
Speaker 7: Well, I as a guy that grew up as a son of a coach and then also coached for eighteen twenty years myself having been a head coach. Certainly the offensive coordinator position is a job that I occupied for almost a decade, and that one's highly scrutinized, and you're always under pressure to perform and to outperform, frankly, expectations every single year and even every single game. And you know, the more and more I've watched Ryan Day and even my wife who has a great read on people, and you know, just seeing what what he's made of watching you know, interviews after losses, interviews after wins. He's a pretty likable dude, like if you if you really break it down, he's he's never overly arrogant when they're winning, you know. He he's never want to make excuses for not beating Michigan, which has obviously been the biggest problem. I think he's a guy that is, frankly, in the coaching profession. He's become somebody easy.
Speaker 6: To root for for me, and there's a there's a lot of these head coaches I've worked for for a few, to be really honest, that love to control the narrative, love to get into the spin zone at head coach and do everything in their power to deflect blame, you know, and and put it on two players or to coordinators. I just think Ryan Days has done a really good job as a coach, and I've been really impressed with them, and so I think that this is a testament and I think the real m VP and all of this is that actually, my former athletic director when I was an assistant coach at Western Kentucky is ross by Yorick for him to stand up boldly and really put his chest out and neck out on the line a little bit saying that this is my head coach, regardless of how things play out. And I think that goes a long way. And I think a lot of athletic directors and frankly, a lot of head coaches in this industry right now that are just towering to pressure could learn a little something about standing up for their people instead of just you know, hiding and ducking. There's a lot of cowardice in this industry. And I think that the Ohio State story of this year from athletic director to Ryan Day was actually a story of standing up for people during a tough time in the time of diversity, which was frankly, just losing to Michigan.
Speaker 8: That was it.
Speaker 7: That was There's one game that really persuaded this thing and almost put it off the rails.
Speaker 2: Can you give us a little bit of a frame of reference, because I don't know that there are very many fan bases that would want their coach to be out who's finished in the top ten every single year and has won a tremendous percentage of his game and games and more often than not is in the mix to win something special every single season. I mean, he has a better winning percentage than Jim Trestley, has a better S and P than Urban Meyer, and he's one of three coaches win a national championship. Now in the fifth coach in Ohio state history, he won a national championship. What is it about a fan base like that that has expectations that seem Mike to be so out of whack?
Speaker 7: Well, I would say, you know, just put it in a local context, and and I just imagine if Witt, you know, was was the perennial you know, eleven twelve win season every single year for a decade, or saying in you know, in the case of Ryan Day six seven years but lost five straight years to the team down south, to the team in Provo. I mean, that's a real thing. And that's a real that's a that's a real hated, bitter rivalry that that your fan base sometimes maybe puts even above the overall success of the season. And you know, I think as a result of some conference changing and you know, the you know, the Mount West and dissolving and then it was independent for BYU and Pac twelve for Utah, you didn't really have that as a as a consistent storyline every single year. Now it's going to start entering back into the conversation with the Big twelve. But I mean, you've got to start Those types of things really do matter, especially in football crazed places that have really high expectations. But those expectations sometimes are the one game means maybe more than all of them. And if you're if you have a trend that is so consistent where you just cannot beat that team and even when that team's not good, that's a problem. That's a that's a major problem for a head coach to overcome. And I think people that are that are listening right now that are Utah fans, or even if you're a BYU fan and say Kiwane's ripping off twelve thirteen wins every year you know, including the college football playoffs and the Big Twelve Championship, but just can't beat Utah five years in a row, three four, five years in a row. That becomes an issue in a place that really does care about a robbery game, like I do know that Yu and Utah, I do care about you.
Speaker 2: Hear a lot of docking heads like myself, media types say like, oh, that Michigan loss was exactly what they needed.
Speaker 1: Any meat on that bone.
Speaker 2: I mean, as a guy that coaches that like a wake I mean, look, the results are what they are, and when we all diagnose and play Monday morning quarterback, it's easy to create a narrative like that. But is that a real thing in a locker room, like you feel like maybe you needed a wake up call.
Speaker 7: I don't think it was from the perspective of motivation or they're over like they were over confident. I just didn't think it was really freed up and almost forced Ryan Day and Chip Kelly to get out of a little bit of this Big ten West football style of playing, which is just do everything in your power not to lose a game, which is how they lost that game to Michigan. I don't if you remember that game in particular, it was as risk averse of a game plan as that you will ever see. It was almost as if Will Howard was a was a quarterback that had leprosy and they didn't want him to use his his gifts as a throat as a passer because he he he had some type of dysfunction. He actually proved to once they started unloading his abilities, and that started really and you know, as the playoffs started to unfold, man, he looked really, really good. And I think the glow up, if you will, from the Michigan game to the very end of the college football playoffs and culminating last night in the win over Notre Dame of Will Howard might have been the best in college football. He was playing at the end like as well as any quarterback in the in the country. In fact, I'm starting to second guess some of these, these these draft narratives that it's a Shador Sanders and cam Ward conversation. I'm like, this Will Howard, dude, if he would have played like that all year, I don't know if that would have been the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was, uh, yeah, he was great. And I do want to get there in just a moment. But let's stick with the current situation where we find ourselves and let's move from Ohio State to Notre Dame and Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 1: This wonder kins rise. I mean, you were a coach.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine that your first head coaching job is Notre Dame at the age of thirty five, and obviously that fan base expects as much from their football team as any other. What stands out, Mike most to you as a guy that coached at this level with the way Marcus Freeman's been able to build this thing up over just four years at the precipice of almost winning the national championship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Marcus Freeman's been really impressive. I got to know him a little bit just because that's the place I was an offensive coordinator at. We had some crossover in terms of people that we've worked with. Mike Denbrock and I were a bit of a two headed monster there as an offensive play calling tandem back in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen at Notre Dame. My dad coached at Notre Dame. My sister graduated from there, so you know, I've lived there twice in two different stages of my life, both as a kid and then as a working adult in the industry.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: I'll be honestly, this was a really impressive year for Notre Dame. Even the game last night I think really stood tall with regards to how much they were willing to step into the fight of battling adversity, you know, getting down early in games, and you know, even overcoming the Northern Illinois loss and how they bounce back from.
Speaker 6: That was all really really good.
Speaker 7: Notre Dame is great in the trenches. Notre Dame is really good in their defensive you know, linebacker play, edge play, their offensive line plays, hoigh end play, running back play. But there's just been a big problem, and I think it's because even in this nil portal area era excuse me, that we find yourselves in Notre Dame. You have to go to school, you have to go to college. This is a traditional Catholic environment education that it's in person education, and so many of these schools are going to just basically there's no college anymore. That's not the case to Notre Dame, you know. So if you're going to transfer to Notre Dame, you have to realize that you're going to be going to a school where you have to stay eligible by actually going to a class. What a novel concept in collegiate athletics. Well, it sounds crazy, but that's so rare in this day and age because of everything post twenty twenty and then now in this nil portal a era, everything's just going online, the online courses. Frankly, who knows who's actually doing the work. That's not a case of Notre Dame. And so I don't know that Notre Dame will ever have the skill players. And I know this is going to sound general generally, overly generalized, but the skill players to compete with, Like what Ohio State had They had the receiver play the DV play, It was a mismatch, and I just think that that's something that Notre Dame's going to have to deal with. I don't know that Notre Dame's going to win a national championship in my lifetime going forward. Nineteen eighty eight was the last one. I thought this was a great opportunity if they had gotten a turnover to to maybe get one, you know, just by way of I just don't know if we can get back to this spot. And I don't know that they're going to have the opportunity to excel in this current landscape to the extent to win a title. They've been there what three times? Nineteen it it was two thousand and fourteen, I believe thirteen two does a thirteen national championship? Lose to Alabama forty two to fourteen, and then they go and play Clemson, lose thirty to three in the College Football Playoffs semi and then they lose again I believe it was to Georgia thirty one to fourteen. And then this one really they lost by eleven points, but it just didn't feel very close. Thirday just hasn't. They haven't really stood up very well, very tall in these challenge in these challenging games to win a national championship. I just don't see it happening.
Speaker 2: So is there anything to be learned? You know, it doesn't matter the sport or the level. When somebody achieved success, others around them tried to learn what they did, and very much a copycat situation, the NBA, copycat league, the NFL. I mean, obviously there are different ways to approach it, but you know, if you could to bottle what the Kansas City Chiefs have namely fifteen under center.
Speaker 1: Maybe you try to copy that.
Speaker 2: So college football now looks to Ohio State as a north Star question mark to you, anything we could learn helps to have twenty twenty five mil. Whatever they had, but a lot of that money, Mike, as you know, went to returning players instead of just transfers. And we're in a market where coach win, as you know, is a recruit, develop, retain win program. The best Utah football teams have been with upperclassmen who have been here for a while, oftentimes recruits they weren't very highly thought of. And obviously Ohio State's different because they get some of the best recruits every single year. But this was not just a team that entered the transfer portal to get fifty four new players. They had a lot of players that are around for a long time, some played more than fifty games. What can other roster constructors, if anything, learn from Ohio State.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you have to develop and recruit and develop your your offense and defensive lines, your linebackers, I do your tight end position. And it just seems like if you look at the matchup with the quarterbacks last night in that National Championship game, they're two, one and done. You know, experienced quarterbacks. Riley Leonard comes over from Duke and of course Will Howard comes over from Kansas State. That's kind of the model. And I love what Utah has done with Devin dan Pier. I think it's fantastic. But then you know there's Quinn Yours was in the final four, and you can you can look at him a little bit more like a Jake Kretzlow that he's been developed and been the starting quarterback for a couple of years at YU. But if you're looking at Utah in particular, you know, I think, I think they do have the right pipeline and I think the Polynesian the Island pipeline that they have for O line, d line linebacker, you know, other positions as well. I mean, we have Denver Broncos here. Devon Veley and Joan Ellis are two awesome youths that are that I get a chance to watch on a weekly basis. But I just think that the Utah has a good chance to do something pretty special this year. And you and I have talked about in you know and shows in the past about I feel really good about Devon damp here. But if you're looking at Ohio State and a model, it's the money. I mean, you've got to be willing to raise and or support twenty five million dollars for if you want to go win a national championship. Hard part is that that's not a guarantee. Because it's sure he didn't look like it's guarantee about week twelve of the college football season for for Ohio State. And if you think about who are the people that are investing that kind of money, and if you're not getting return on investment, is that repeatable? Is there going to be you know.
Speaker 8: Some.
Speaker 7: You have to be like some exhaustion from donor fatigue of giving money and not seeing return on investment. So there's a lot of challenges and I think we're just starting to see some of some of the potential ramifications of how much money is being thrown into one season of college football.
Speaker 2: So now that we have the twelve team CFP behind us, Mike, I wonder what your takeaways are as far as whether or not you like the format, whether or not you think it's going to need to be changed, and whether or not you think it will be changed.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on.
Speaker 7: This well, you know the one thing, Spence, that I live in a pro sports market but does have college football. I mean, between Colorado and even the run they made, they were close to being in the CFP at one point, you know, week eleven, week twelve, a season. Man, it just seemed like Monday night. Even when I woke up Monday morning, it didn't feel like a National College Football Championship game day. It just something seemed just seemed to ry. And I don't know if it's that this thing bled too far into the NFL's postseason, that I live in a pro sports town. The NFL is king here for sure, in the NFL is king nationally, There's no doubt about it. Look At that Chiefs game that they had against the Texans drew thirty two and a half a million viewers, which is an all time record for ESPN for any game, any sport, any time of year. I just think that this needs to.
Speaker 9: Move be moved up.
Speaker 7: Because as much as the CFP accomplished what it set out to accomplish, I went to a CFP game. I went to watch. I want to see my alma mater, Boise State play against Penn State. And while you know that it seemed like a great atmosphere. It just didn't I don't know, it didn't have the juice that I expected being in the building. It just felt like, I don't know, it's like, this is such a long process. I want to see the college football decision makers and frankly, the TV money I think would be even through the roof if you moved the season more into mid August, and whether you start with a week zero I still think that this Army Navy Week zero only game on that weekend could be a really powerful weekend because I don't believe that college football playoff and certainly the National Championship should really be competing at all with the NFL playoffs in the NFL postseason. I think it's a big mess. I think there's a bandwidth issue. Even for somebody like me that does sports for a living. The college football games just there was not any memorable moment at real memorable time, except for maybe the Arizona State Texas game.
Speaker 8: But at the end of the.
Speaker 7: Day, was that like something you're gonna remember the rest of your life. There was nothing out of this twelve team playoff that really stood out to me. I'd love to hear from you and your opinion, but it just didn't feel like it really captured the emotion of America in this first year of it.
Speaker 2: So here's my assertion, Mike, can you tell me if you think this is even possible, because I believe college football should be played on college football campuses, and I mean like every single game, maybe outside of the final game. Joel Klattz idea is to make the Rose Bowl college football's answer to the Super Bowl. Is there a way to reward teams in communities so they don't have to travel to Atlanta and then Dallas and then back to Atlanta or whatever. So you can play all of these games on college campuses because that would capture the passion you're talking about. And then save the final game of the season for what Joel Clatt believe should be the Rose Bowl and preserve the bulls that are in place, because the bulls that are in place simply employ a lot of people, and they will not go away quietly. They want their place at the table because people want to keep their jobs. So that's my thing that I feel like not a lot of people have discussed. I think college football is meant to be played on college campuses. Is there a way they could pull that off.
Speaker 7: I think there's certainly a way you could pull it off. I mean, you're you're going to deal with a lot of the weather issues and a lot of the excuse making. But you know, at the same time, you know, if you want to you want a home game, and you need to perform better in your regular season and your conference play. I think there's an equity issue, even Notre Dame not having to be forced to play a conference championship game. You know, there are some issues. You think about the teams that were in the national championship game last night didn't play in a in a in a in a conference championship game, right, both Neither one did. So that's one less game because Ohio State, I believe the Big Ten the Big Ten championship game was was Penn State and Oregon. Correct. Correct, that's an that's an extra game. You know, there's a there is inequity issue in college football. I mean Notre Dame is I mean that that certainly stands out that they, no matter what, would not have to play in a conference championship game. But yeah, I mean I think I like the idea of Spence, I do. If you do that, I think you really do have to move everything up a bit. I think you want to. You don't want two week breaks in this college football playoffs or even ten twelve day breaks. I think you should just stick with whatever date, like Thursday Friday, those are Thursday Friday night or that's those that's when the college football playoff games are, and it's every six seven days, boom boom boom, and just let it go so that people can know what you know, when the games are on. It feels like there's some type of schedule. I mean, I found myself just, hey, what one of the games is one of the college football playoff games? And they're just they were like, is it before the college the NFL Playoffs, the NFL Weekend, is it after whatever it is? It just needs consistency. I like, I like home games. There was something a little bit strange, Like I loved all the build up to having college football playoff games on home sites, like the Notre Dame Indiana game is like beautiful to see, but when the game started, it just didn't feel like a playoff game in me, Spence, I don't know why you can agree and we can agree to disagree, but just watching it, it didn't feel like the magnitude of a playoff game like the NFL, like captures like you feel that And I don't know what that is. I don't know. Maybe it's just year one of it, But I don't know what was the issue this year. It just didn't feel it didn't feel like it was as exciting as it could have been.
Speaker 2: And I'm with you there, and you know, certainly, I think because there are a lot of people that just they belong to the church of college football and they're gonna love it no matter what. And you know the fact that it was seventy seven thousand people. The cheapest ticket, according to Matt Brown, who joined us from Extra Points, was three grand. We haven't seen the final number, but I bet it's over twenty Milo. All of those numbers, Mike, indicate that you and I can debate about what they need to change, and they can send us their p and l stay and and say tell us what we need to change. This feels like for the people that are in charge of making decisions, this first iteration of the twelve team CFP was a massive, massive success.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I mean, did you see some of the ticket prices though on like for example, you know some of the some of the I guess it'd be the second round and third round games that were traditional bowls like the Fiesta Bowl for example. I mean almost I ended up going to the Fiesta Bowl. And I worked as a credential member of the media for the Boise State media, and so I didn't pay for tickets, but I wanted to bring my family. And the original ticket prices were like three hundred and fifty bucks something along those lines to buy through the Athletic department, you know, the official allotment. Well then I checked. I checked ticket prices the day before the game. For this is Penn State. We're talking about Penn State, Boise State, and Boise State travels really well, I mean the tickets were in the eighteen to thirty dollars range on the on the aftermarket, and then you show up to the game and there's there's full corners of the festibul that are completely empty, you know, and so I think that, yes, the National Championship Game, I think you hit because you got Notre Dame, you got Ohio State. These are two fanatical fan bases and wildly how the State's won This was their third national championship since nineteen sixty eight. I don't if you realize that, Matt's you think about how the State as a perennial national champion team three that in that timeframe, that's pretty wild. Notre Dame is not one one since nineteen eighty eight. So this was a big moment in time for both those programs that have very passionate fan bases. But I was surprised by some of the lack of just sheered excitement, certainly for some of the second and third round games of the college football playoffs.
Speaker 2: Mike, before I say you lose, I know we have talked about this before, but a great radio mind once told me radio is not linear, so for our listeners it may not have been tuned in. I wanted to revisit your opinion on Jason Beck as a new offensive coordinator, your reference you like Devin Dampier as well, and Utah football bringing in forty one new players with a fifty three percent roster turnover after a year that nobody saw comment, including me, including you, including.
Speaker 1: Them, right, So what are you expecting next year? Year two? Big twelve? Utah football.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm really excited about the hire of Jason Beck. He has a great familiarity of the state of Utah. He understands, you know, what what that program at Utah is all about, and he's been on the other side of that rivalry with BYU, of course.
Speaker 1: But I got to know Jason.
Speaker 7: I called a couple of his games, you know, followed his team really closely. I did the CSU versus New Mexico game, which frankly was probably one of his one of their worst games. They had a pretty banged up roster with missing a ton of their skill players. But I'll tell you this schematically, he's one of my favorite coaches in college football today. And I think it's a combination of really creative shift in motion and the trick plays, but also it's a quarterback driven run game, and Devin dan Pier is about as good as you can find both in the QB driven run game and then the play actions off of that. I just love what Jason Beck does. I don't think he does a really good job of keeping it as simple for his own personnel in this transfer portal turnover the roster era, so that you can go out and and learn this offense and it's easily ingested and then easy to go execute. But it's really difficult for teams to defend. And that's something that I saw, and I think that that's the secret sauce. In this day and age, a lot of people run an offense in a box, like the air raid or certainly like the Art Riles Baylor system that you know Lane Kiffin's running and the University of Tennessee with Josh Hipel's running. I think those systems are pretty easy to defend if you don't have elite personnel everywhere. And I think that what Jason Beck does is he gives enough eye candy, enough misdirection and just the threat of the trick play week by week that it does defenses really much on their toes and they're guessing. And so I'm really excited about Jason Beck. I think he's a great man. I think he's gonna be a great fit. And you know, hey, I'm just gonna throw a little bit of my advice, not that it's necessarily desired or not, but you've got a really good offensive coordinator. They're at University of Utah, so let him cook. And I'm talking fans. I'm talking head coach. I'm talking defensive coordinator. Let Jason Beck be a really good offensive mind and stay out of his kitchen. Let the man cook.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mike, I guess you've never met college football fans. I love the message. But you you know, you know how, and you know what's rough, man. It's always the OC, isn't it. It's always the offensive coordinator of the falls.
Speaker 1: On the show, you know what.
Speaker 7: It's that way in the state of Utah. And I love the state of Utah. I love coaching in it. I was the offensive coordinator at the Utah State. There definitely is a culture defensive minded head coaches at most of the schools in that state. Certainly, like you look at the history of the last couple decades since Ervin Meyer was at Utah, there's a lot of meddling with the offensive coordinator position. Let the man coach and he will do a great job. That's my advice to anybody who wants mine. Yeah, so I'll give that unsolicited.
Speaker 2: Well said, and we do want your advice because you've coached. Okay, So I appreciate the time, my friend, have a great week. We'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I appreciate you Spence all right.
Speaker 2: Mike Sanford junior, longtime college football coach, played his college ball at Boise State, where he's a good quarterback. Appreciate Mike's time doing the media rounds these days. That coach underscore Sandford two is where you find him