Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie R. H. Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: Bases in.
Speaker 3: Gas.
Speaker 2: Can you want the trip? You just watch him as the world open. And you did.
Speaker 4: So many things to see bats in the bay basis and gas and can you did close back kicking cannot sun glasses.
Speaker 2: And gay than you did.
Speaker 5: Sun starting?
Speaker 6: Well, Good morning, good morning. We are welcome to spring. We are in the doorstep of some of the weather we've been waiting on for a long time. That is, you know, the only thing I can complain about in spring. You know, those of us in the agriculture world, which gardeners are, by the way, we always have to complain about the weather. Right it is too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet, whatever it is. Well, right now we'll see what can we complain about. It's perfect, but it is windy. I was outside making a couple of things for Facebook, shooting a couple of videos for Facebook yesterday, and wow, I dropped the mic and went and found a kite because it was perfect kite flying weather, that is for sure. Well, you're listening to garden Line. The phone number you'll need this so you can give us a call seven one three two one two K t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. One of the things I was talking about yesterday, I got a little video coming out the five important points you need to know about using a pre emergent herbicide. Five important points you need to know And what I was basically using as a prop was barricade, because barricade is your standard pre emergent herbicide. Talk about it all the time here on garden Line by the folks at Nitrofiss. It covers a wide variety of weeds. You know, there are weeds that are broadly, there are weeds that are grassy. And when you look at pre and post emergent herbicides, some of them work well on one, some of them work well on the other. Each has its own different group of weeds that it's most likely to give effective control on. Broadly are barricades a very broad section of grass and broadleaf. We preventing them, but you got to get it down ahead of time. You get it down asap. Listen. With this weather, the warm season, weeds they're just like the gardeners. They're ready to get out there and get going. And you get your barricade down, your watered in half inch of water and you're good to go, and it's going to give you a button sixty days. It could be a little longer, could be a little less, depends on the weather and everything. But if you need extended control, we may talk about doing it again a little bit later in the season, but for now, one application, follow the label. Important to follow the label. You're going to find barricade available at places like Bearings Hardware, both the one on Bisonetta and West Timer M and D in Rosenberg down to Rosenberg M and D. You're going to find it at Ace Hardware City, a memorial drive and plans for all seasons up on Highway to forty nine, all places that carry nitross products. Yeah, So talking about the important points to keep in mind, I'm maybe I'll come back to those a little bit here and we'll discuss some of the five important points. I see people misapply a lot of products, and we don't need to be doing that. It is not that difficult. There's simple things we need to keep in mind, and when we do, we can have success. You know, when you use a product, I don't care if it's a fung aside to kill a fungus if it's a insecticide to kill an insect or herbicide to kill a weed, it is very important that you know how to apply it and when to apply it, and how to mix and everything like that if you want to have success. Well, we're going to head straight out to the phones this morning and welcome Bruce. Bruce, you get the Early Riser Award today. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you very much, Schied. I had a question about herbicide. I've got a bare spot in my lawn. I'm going to try to get the grass growing well in there, but the weeds have gotten ahead of me and it's more than I can deal with by hand. Is there something that, yeah, you would recommend that I use, particularly for this time of year.
Speaker 6: If you see weeds, now, what you're looking at is broad leaf weeds, and so with broad leaf weeds that would be a cool season weed. Well, I mean you may have some grassy weeds too, but cool season is what you're what I meant to say that you're seeing. Now. For those you you have a couple of options. Primarily, you could either kill everything in the area and have a clean slate, get all perennials, or anything like that out or you could use just a selective herbicide that either kills grasses or broad leaves. You can go either way. I would probably do the overall general. Is there is there any grass you want to keep in that area right now?
Speaker 5: There is?
Speaker 6: Or is it basically all okay? In that case, I would use a post emergent broad leaf weed control product post emergent broad leaf, So you could do it different ways. You can get a spray and just spray the weeds. That is one option. Another option would be to go for something that is a fertilizer that also has weed control in it.
Speaker 8: Are you inclined to go either way? Particularly on that I don't have a preference either way. I think though I probably avoids spray directly with a drip, but I might use a paint brush or a spongebrush or something like that to apply it.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, if you've got a lot of weed, that may be pretty tedious to try to get out there, you know, with the brush to try to do it. Try to do it that way. The folks at Nelson have a product called Weedinator, and Weedinator is a broad leaf weed control product that also has somewhat of a growth regulator in it for any of the weeds, you know, it affects them in that way also. But I would say weedinator is your would be your spring green up fertilizer and your weed control. So if you sprayed it on everything excuse me, it's a granular. If you applied it over the whole area, then it would kill the weeds and then you'd have your early fertilization already there on your grass. And Weedinator's going to last a long time, so it's going to continue to feed your grass for you. So what you do is you wet the whole area, just turn on a sprinkler, get all the leaves wet of the weeds, grass and everything. Put out the weedinator. It won't hurt your grass and sticks to the weed leaves because they're wet, and then it soaks in and after a couple of days, just water it in get the rest of it down there in the ground where it can do the benefit of fertilizing for you. I think that'd be your best bet. Fantastic. Thank you so much, Skip. Yeah, and that's that's from the folks that Nelson's called Weedenator. Hey, thanks a lot for the call man. I appreciate it. You take care, all right, Yeah, that is important to get ahead of these weeds. Here's the on the cool season weeds they are going to seed, and when they go to seed, we have the issue of next year having a hundred times more weeds than we did this year, especially if the law gets them. So you just want to stay ahead of them. You don't want to let them get ahead of you. Well, I'm going to take a little break here and we'll be back with your calls seven one three two one two ktrh Friday. We're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you want to give me a call talk gardening, it's always best to call early in the day because it's kind of quiet. First thing, believe it or not, people like sleep in a little bit.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 6: I wanted to visit a little bit about quality garden centers. We we have so many good ones here in Houston, and it's really true. Listen. I've lived in different places across the state of Texas. I've traveled to different states and everywhere I go some every time I go somewhere, I go to a garden center there. I love to go see what's your best garden center in this town. I'm telling you we got to beat, hands down in Houston. We got awesome garden centers. We really do. And I'm not just saying. I mean it is amazing how many good garden centers we have. If you live north, south, east, west, or central, there is a garden center near you that is well worth a visit. It's inspirational. They have quality train folks, it's just good. And you know a good example of that would be Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center out there in Kingwood. Those places they have outstanding products right now. The gosh, the shipments that they got in at Warren's, it's just what do you need? Do you want vegetables? Do you want herbs? Do you want flowers? Do you want just go on and on down the line. They really do have it all. I love going into those places and shop. You know what, Warrens they're going to have a good selection of fruit trees too. Right now. If you are looking for any kind of quality fruit tree, quality plants in general, and certainly the quality s, you know, that's what I'm talking about. This is the place for you. The selection is unbelievable. They have some unusual tomatoes. For example, you don't have some fun with tomatoes this year. I plant child standards and they got those. But try something like indigo blueberries tomato. It's red on the inside and kind of a deep dark indigo color on the outside. Is that weird? Is it cool? Yes? It is absolutely and they've got it there at Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center add in Kingwood. Warrens is on North Park Drive. Kingwood is on Stone Hollow Drive. You're always going to find everything you're looking for at those two places, including good advice. And I just cannot stress that enough. People that know what they're talking about that can point you in the right direction when you have problems with your lawn and garden. Bring in a sample, bring in a photo. Talk to them. They can help you with it. They have the expertise, and that is very important. These are your hard earned dollars and they are going to be well spent when you go someplace that is service before and after the sale and helping you have success. This week, I have been looking at my yard and trying to do some ketchup. You know, if you ever heard the phrase the cobblers kids go barefoot. Well, during the spring, I'm running around doing all kinds of things. By the way, I'll be out at Jorges Hidden Gardens later today. I hope you can come out and see me there. I'll be there from one to three. Hoorges is down. It's an Albin address. It's Elizabeth Street and Alvin. But if you're in Alvin and you're heading down towards Santa Fe direction down Highway six, it's about halfway and then off to the right, that's kind of where it's located. Come out and see me. I'm gonna be giving away some Nelson products. We got some Hoges fertilizer product as well there, and I believe I'm gonna talk about this a little bit later, but we got some cool plants and he's gone be providing as well. But anyway, wherever I seem to be in the spring, it's hard to find time to get back in my garden because I'm out doing other things. Like I said yesterday, is doing some filming for some Facebook videos. And when I have a chance to be here, I'm taking care of some things, getting ready for spring. I was just looking at my seed collection for warm season seeds and getting those out and getting them organized and putting them out there. And if you like to save seed, or if you maybe buy a packet and you have some extras, what you can do is when you're done, put them in something that's air tight. And I don't mean look a zip lock back. I mean like a jar or one of those glass containers with a pop down lids, or are plastic. They got the little rubber seal around them so they are air tight. Put them in there. If you got anything that's a dessicont you know when you buy electronics or when you buy like vitamin and things, they come with the little packets in them. Those are dessicons. Throw those in there with your seed to keep them dry. And put them in the refrigerator for long term storage. I'll use a freezer, but basically refrigerator's good. And when you take them out, let them warm up before you pop the lid open, because something cold exposed to our humid air creates condensation. Right Like if you take a coca cold can out of the refrigerator and you set it out on the counter and then you put ice in it. That cold liquid what happens on the outside of the glass and get a little droplets of water and you don't want that on your seed. We're trying to keep them dry. So I set the container out and give it some time to kind of warm up to room temperature. It doesn't take long, and then open it up and there you go, and your seeds will last a long long time. And sometimes with some of these specialty seeds that you buy, you know, a certain variety, they only give you a few seeds and things you really want to take care of those. They're not just cheap things. And so that is the way you do it. Keep them cold, keep them dry. That is important.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: ACE Hardware stores are located all over the Greater Houston area. You can go to the website ACE Hardwaretexas dot com. Ace Hardware Texas. Don't get that Texas in there. Our local ACE Hardware group has put together a little map where you can see all the stores. Depending on where you're located, there's going to be one near you. And when you go to ACE, you're going to find quality things, like you're going to find all the supplies you need for outdoors. Do you need fertilizers, do you need weed control, pre emergent or post emergent, things to control insects and diseases, Products that are synthetic products, that are organic, good quality tools, anything you need to make the outside of your place look its best and to make those outdoor gathering areas, sitting areas just really really pop. And you know, there's nothing more fun this time of the year than sitting outside and enjoying the outdoors. And ACE has got you covered on all kinds of things along those lines. And you know, there are so many great ACE stores in our area. For example, there's an ACE hardware store called the excuse me, the uh excuse me, pardon me uh J and our's ACE Hardware up in Porter. I'm going to be heading up there, by the way, I won't be too long away. There's ACE Hardware at Sinco Ranch, which is out on Mason Road and Katie uh. And then you go down to League City and we got League City Ace Hardware. Or how about Victoria Ace for all of you listening out there in Victoria, it's easy to find an ACE hardware store in New You Ace Hardware Texas dot Com Time for me to take a break here and just a bit not quite yet, I've got a little bit of time left, uh, but I wanted to I wanted to discuss just a little bit, uh some more about success with pre emergent herbicides. I was talking about that a little bit earlier. But when you're dealing with the pre emergent herbicide, you want to make sure that number one, you know the weeds you're going after, and you get a product that's going to work on those weeds. Not every product has the perfect you know, blend for every weed on Earth. There's just too much variation out there. But you want a product that's going to control almost all of them. That's why I recommend barricade, by the way. But you want to make sure you're going after number two. You want to make sure you're doing it at the right time. It's like playing baseball. You got to swing at the right time. Too early or too late and you don't hit the ball. Well. These weeds are germinating now. The temperature is right for them to get going now, So get it done ahead of time. That is very important. Get it done at the right amount of time. You want to use a product at the right rate. There's a reason there's a rate on the label. I know it's ground in especially as guys, it's just ground into us that if a tea spoon's good, a tablespoon's better, we're not going to just kill the weed. We're going to kill it dead or well, that's nonsense. Here's why. If you're making a product and wanting to sell it, wouldn't you tell people to use a whole lot of it so you could sell them some more? Right, So why would a label say I'm going to use teaspoon tablespoon? Why would I say use a teaspoon if a tablespoon was better, Well, it wouldn't. It wouldn't. And here's a second thing. When you underapply something whurse, you don't get good control. When you overapply it, you don't get better control because the label gives you the best control. But what you do get on over applying, and this is true with pre emergence, is you can cause damage to your lawn. And that's true with post emergence as well. Miss read the label, it'll tell you that if post emergence about temperatures, when you apply it, pre emergence gives you the rate and do it at the proper rate. That is very important. And then finally you got a water it in. You have to put it down and then water it in because these products like barricade comes on a granule, You water it and it washes that product into the soil surface where it ties up. If they just washed away, they wouldn't do any good. They're made to tie up to the soil surface, and when they do, weed tries to sprout and they're there, but they are doing nothing. A pre emergent is doing nothing until you incorporate it or water it in to get it to the soil surface. So you got to follow up with that in order to have success. All right, those are a few tips on pre emergent herbicides. The folks at Nature's Way Resources, do you know they have a nursery out there. It's a two acre nursery and they got all kinds of things, a lot of great native plants. First of all, one of the largest groups of natives you're going to find in this area. They got vegetables, they have house plants, they have fruit trees. I mean they've got a whole lot and nature Sway Resources. It is just to kind of that. You're going to find every possible product that is the top quality for every possible plant, whether it's mulches, whether it's compost, whether it's bed mixes, whether you're growing blueberries and need acidic type products, whether you're growing fruit trees or vegetables or whatever, they're going to have those products.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 6: They've extended their hours for spring and that is Monday through Saturday, eight am to five pm. They're closed on Sunday. You can go to the website Nature's Way Resources dot com Nature's Way Resources dot com. And I want to remind you that coming up they've got some shindig on its way. As I like to put it, there's Spring Garden Festival that is March twenty second. Write that down March twenty second, Nature's Way Resources eight am to two pm. There's all kinds of things. There's vendors, there's talks, educational talks, the food and drinks, and of course plant sales doesn't cost anything. To go Nature's Way Resource dot com. You need to check that out.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I love going out there and visiting with Ian and the whole team out there. Really they know what they're talking about. They've continued the tradition that John Ferguson started when he created Nature's Way many many years ago. It's important to make quality products at work. Have you ever thought about why they have the name Nature's Way because they want to do things the way that nature does them. That's important, right to do things the way nature doesn't. Plants for all seasons is on two forty nine, which is on the way to Tomball. It's called Tomball Parkway. If you're going up north, you cross you exit Luata, cross over Lueta and it's right there on the right hand side. This is a place where people that have green thumbs and want to have a green thumb go because when you go in there, you're going to get the plants that do well here. That's important. Get the plants that do well here. Next you're going to get advice that is very accurate, very accurate. They know what they're talking about. They've been gardeners for a long time. Listen To Place has been open since nineteen seventy three. It's a full service retail garden center staffed with quality folks, the whole flowerty family. They they are just every time turn a corner, there's another flowerty there, but they're true lawn and garden experts. You can go to the website Plants for All Seasons dot com. Right now they are loaded up. If you hear a fertilizer name come out of my mouth, it's going to be at Plants for All Seasons. They've got good selections of soil and of course the green stuff, the stuff we go to a garden center and get all excited about, and that is at Plants for All Seasons. All right, Well, I got to take a little break here and I'll be back. If you want to give me a calm be first up when we come back. Seven one three two one two ktrh. All right, good morning. Good to have you with us this morning. If you are looking for a quality blend for your containers inside out and outside, by the way, jungle Land by nitrofoss is an excellent product. It holds moisture, which is important so you don't water so often. In fact, the indoor jungle Land has water saving crystals in it. They give you even an extended ooh, I forgot to water my plants. Protection Your plants will be glad you did that, by the way, because they have told me that you tend to be a little forgetful when it comes to the watering. My plants will tell you that too. Jungle Land water saving potting sauce for indoors on the outside, jungle Land flower and vegetable planting soil high quality specifically blended Canadian blonde peat with four different sworges, sources of aged decomposed bark and micro rise of fungi. Everything the plants need to thrive. Jungle end from nitrophas and where do you get it? Well, nitro FROs is available in a lot of places, so you can find night Foss products at Enchented Forest down in Richmond, Rosenberg. You can find them at Ace Hardware, Single Ranch, Aspa's Ace up in the Woodlands and the Arborgate up in Tomball, all places to carry products by Nitrofoss. Let's go to the phones now. We're going to hit up and talk to Charles and Willis. Hey Charles, Well, hello, Arning, how can we help?
Speaker 11: Got a couple of questions for you.
Speaker 12: One is can I use sedge gender or sedge hammer in a vegetable garden if I do wipe on?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 6: Well can can you? And is it on the label. You know there there's probably a variation. I have not read the label closely. I don't think it's labeled for vegetable gardens. I understand your idea. Yeah, so you know, when you wipe something on, I can I can't tell you to use a product outside the label. Okay, that just is not something I able to do. Okay, But when you wipe, I understand your thought is you're wiping. You're wiping it on to keep from spraying on everything and whatnot. And those products used on a wiper. I've used the wipers when I find these products or that's edge in different places. But as far as you know, far as the label's concerned, the labels of law not me. So okay, all righty okay, all right, thank you.
Speaker 12: Another question getting rid of Saint Augustine and Bermuda. Do you think Ortho weed clear.
Speaker 2: Would do that.
Speaker 12: It's labeled to be able to be used on Bermuda, but not on Saint Augustine.
Speaker 6: I don't have a label of that in front of me.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so two I can't tell you, but.
Speaker 12: Two four D quinn korak in Dykanda.
Speaker 6: The first one, two four D is what's hard on Saint Augustine if you wanted to do that. When the weather heats up. You know, we're up in the mid nineties, that would be a time when a product like that would be the hardest on Saint Augustine. The kuklorak and dikamba not not so much. Yeah, that'd be one use it.
Speaker 12: Use it when Saint Augustine was active, but when the Bermuda had not come out of dormancy yet.
Speaker 6: Uh, depending on the strength that you use. Two fort d is something that is in some products that are labeled for Saint Augustine at a much lower level. When you read something and it says weed control for Southern lawns or something like that, usually what that means is they have either removed the two forty or they've got it a much lower level and they have other things in there to do the job two forty did. And the regular version of.
Speaker 12: That product, Wheedclaer is labeled for northern on.
Speaker 6: And but it says that will for permuta yep, so you may have to reapply it. You know, it's not black and white like it just flack kills. Like if you spread round up on your lawn, it would just kill the Saint Augustine and the permuta too, by the way. So yeah, that's the approach I would take. Okay, but let it heat up and you're gonna get better results and be ready to have to follow up on it. Okay, sounds good. Thank you, Thanks sir, appreciate the call. Thanks a lot. You guys have heard me talk about tree hugger sprinklers before, and I think this is the coolest thing since slashed bread. The tree hugger has a little hinge in it. Think of a circle with a hinge in it, like the pac man. You know, mouth goes open and you just go up to the tree trunk and bring it around and it makes a circle around the trunk. There's a seven inch, eleven inch and fifteen inch. If you have any tree or shrub that you're planting, this would be a great way to turn on the water and water right there at the base. You just barely turn it on. We're sort of trickling out of the tree hugger as that plant begins to grow. Now you want to water maybe a three foot or a five foot, or a ten foot or a fifteen foot or more. You just turn it up more and more and more, and so it allows you to do those rescue treatments that we do in the summertime. So even if a tree wasn't just planted, maybe it's been in the ground five years, tree hugger sprinkler is still a thing you want to have on hand.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 6: Rosarians love that product because it is good for roses, any kind of tree or shrub. You're going to find it at places like Southwest Fertilizer Ace hardware stores like I've seen a single Ranch eight kd Ace, K and m Ace and a Tascasida and Fulshire Ace there. I know those carry them. Perhaps perhaps some more league city Feed carries them. Spring Creek Feed Center up in Tambole and D and D Feed out west to Tombul and Chanty Gardens and Forest Warren's and Kingwood out in Kingwood, rcw Elson Water Gardens out in Kti and the Arbigate. All places you're going to be able to get the tree hugger sprinkler, and trust me, you are going to use it. It is every year you need to use a tree hugger for these establishing a plant and for doing the summer rescue treatments. It's ninety five degrees. It hadn't rained in a while. Let's get out there and just keep that tree and good health. Tree hugger is a way to do it. I really mean, I think it's one of the coolest inventions that I have seen in a long time. You're listening to guardenline phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two.
Speaker 13: K t r H.
Speaker 6: Out in my lawn it is. It shows what winter did. It's all basically brown. There's a few green sprigs in there, but winter really burned My Saint Augustine back good and in fact my Zoeesias or have a pretty good frost top as well. Well. Pretty soon here, I'm going to get out there and do a kind of a I don't like to use the words scalping that that's kind of an overdoing it. But I'm going to have to apply something or I'm at to cut back and get that debris out of there. So you may be looking at the same thing. I'm going to talk about that a little bit when we come back. You know, if your foundation is showing any signs of problems, whether it's crack slabs or or excuse me, The visible is the crack brick on the outside, especially under a window or sheet rock inside that's cracked. You need to call fix my slab foundation repair. Maybe the doors are sticking that means something shifting two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine to eight one two fi five forty nine forty nine, or just go to the website fixmyslab dot com. Ty Strickland's been doing this for twenty three plus years now. Native Estonian, fifth generation Texan too. By the way, when he does things, he shows up on time, he fixes it right, and he gives you a fa price. Fixmyslab dot com. I'm gonna take a break and I'll be right back, all right, folks, were back. Welcome back. By the way, I am going to be planting some perennials this week. And let me tell you one thing I do when I plant plants. I get some medina has to grow six twelve six, and I mix it up in water and I drench the root ball. Sometimes I'll put like the plant in a bucket and just put the medina in the bucket and soak the rootball. But while I'm getting ready and diging the plant and everything that's a great way to do it, or just put it in a watering can, plant the plant, soak that rootball really really good, Finish your planting and all that and be done with it, multing whatever you're gonna do, and about a week later, do it again. A week later, do it again. Those three applications of medina. Has to grow six twelve six will help that plant get off to a good start. And here's why. Number one, it's got six twelve six fertilizer in it, and that middle number, phosphorus is really helpful in root development, very important and has to grow six twelve six works in that way. It also has medina soil activator, which stimulates biological activity. It's got humate humic acid, which we know that humic products, whether it's the humus itself or the humic acid in the humus. It's going to improve soil structure, it's going to improve nutrient uptake. It's got seaweed extracts, and by the way, you can use has to grow six twelve six for folier as well. It's not going to burn plants. But when you're going to put a plant in the ground, just remember three times at planting a week later, and a week later, a good drenching, a medina has to grow six twelve six, and you're gonna find medina products widely available here in the Houston area, the Greater Houston area. Let's head out and talk to Katie. Now, Hello Katie, Hello, Skip, what's up?
Speaker 15: I am started my spring yard maintenance and been pretty productive. But I have a couple of questions to ask you. One of them is I just thought it my backyard was zoysia. It's a small yard, it had lost a couple of trees, so now it's got sunlight. So I'm doing some zoyja. What can I do to ensure that it takes and that it's I'm afraid I'm not watering it enough, too much, and I just want to know your take on what.
Speaker 14: I need to do.
Speaker 6: All right, how long how long ago you sawed it? You said you just did? I mean days ago.
Speaker 15: Literally, I just it took me because I was doing it by myself.
Speaker 14: It took me two days.
Speaker 6: Okay, you want to when you said that, Fortunately, our temperatures are very mild now, so you get away with maybe not watering it. If you didn't water it enough, you kind of get away with that better now than when it's hot. But in the hot weather, I say water twice a day the first week, once a day the second week, and then start to wean off to a normal schedule, a very infrequent schedule. So so what when I say water, I mean just water a little bit. You know, we're not talking about putting an inch of water on twice a day. That would be a swamp, but just just you're that side just had a little thin layer of a black clay on it, and then that's the whole root system. And so you got to keep it alive, keep the patient alive while it puts roots down. So twice a day in hot weather, uh, and then once a day for another week. And that's kind of the schedule i'd recommend.
Speaker 15: And when do you, I think, when do you mow it? Or when do you start grooming it?
Speaker 6: Because I've given it given at least, yeah, go ahead?
Speaker 14: Is it a month?
Speaker 6: About about a month? You know it right now it's not going to be rooting in as fast as it would be as it warms up. But yeah, if you if you can give it about two weeks, it's going to have some roots down and could be mowed. You just want it. You don't want your to be moving the little blocks of sod around when you're going over the top of it or lifting them up. But if you'll go out there and grab a sad piece like you're grabbing a little throw rug and just kind of lift it up a little bit, just pull gently on it, you can tell if it's pegged down tight or not. And if it's peg down tight and you don't it doesn't just sort of begin to lift a little bit, then definitely don't mow it if it's not peg down tight. But in the summertime sometimes I'll mow, oh about three weeks, four weeks after I've established it, and it should be starting to peg down well by two.
Speaker 9: Weeks, okay.
Speaker 15: And then my second question is my front yard. It's Saint Augustine currently, but it also has a garden in it that has a fig tree and a couple of peach trees, and the whole garden, including the yard, is got tons of weeds. But because it's fruit and a pollinator garden, I don't want to use anything that's not good for edibles and or bees and butterflies.
Speaker 5: So what do you.
Speaker 6: Recommend all right, So what you're gonna want to do. It depends on the kinds of weeds. If they are perennial weeds, they need to be controlled with a product. Okay, I have on my website something called a weed wiper shows you how to build one, and it shows you what products to use depending on the weed. And it basically is a grabber tool with sponges on it and you just wet the sponge so you're using very little herbicide and then you reach down and squeeze it onto the weed leaves and that puts the least amount of product out there, and it does a good job. But go to gardening with Skip dot com, find the skipswed wiper publication and then find the herbicides to use on skip'sweedwiper. Those two publications and that ought to guide you, especially getting up under a fruit tree. You don't want to spray and have driftkit on your fruit.
Speaker 15: Tree, right, which is wild. And I didn't want to destroy my you know, my passion vine and my pipe vine and my right and my milkweed.
Speaker 6: Those two publications they'll do it. That's what you know.
Speaker 10: I appreciate.
Speaker 6: All right, Thanks, Hey, thanks for the call. Appreciate that, take care of that for sure. We'll do the trick. Hey, have you been out to Moss Nursery that's in Seabrook. For those of you who have not been there, I don't care where you live, you got to go see that place. It is eight acres seventy year old family operated business, eight acres of wandering through everything you need for your landscape, for your garden, for your interior homescape. Even It's on Toddville Road in Seabrook. The website is Moss m aas nursery dot com. You're going to find that they are constantly getting things in. If I told you what they had today, tomorrow they'll have more. I mean, that's just how it works at Moss. You know, do you want shrub like Chinese witch hazel or Laura Pedlin. We call it bald cypress, use holly trees, you know, magnolias and hawthorns and red budgs. Just you know, it's things like junipers and azaleas, are any kind of hanging baskets, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and one of my favorite parts about Moss is all the cool outdoor bling. You know, the landscape art that goes outside. They will have stuff you've never seen. And I don't know if I've ever been a place that had as many different kinds of containers as Moss does. You just got to go down there. Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas. Here's a phone number two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. Two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. I was visiting with a cliff from Year Round Houston the other day, and I'm telling you, these guys one reason we're excited to bring year Round on board is they are They truly are specialist when it comes to corroration and compost top dressing. That means they're going to use products that are effective, that are quality, not junk composts, but stuff that's designed for top dressing. Now, an neration gets oxygen in the soil. It's breathing fresh life into the ground when you do that, and the turf will respond, especially heavy clays and comp compacted soils. Now, basically Year Round Houston is going to serve the inside the Beltway. You just think about that, inside the Beltway, the Houston area. That's kind of their primary focus, right there year round Houston dot com, Year round Houston dot com a phone number eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. Yes, you can do it yourself by buying the compost, dumping it on the driveway, get it renting some heavy equipment that will not do as good of a job as they can do with the professional equipment they use it year round, but then you got the mess and the cleanup of the machinery and getting it back. Just call year round, Just call Cliff at year around Houston dot com and get it done that way. I was getting set to do some fertilization that I was doing with a liquid and one of the products I go to it's my kind of mye really. I have a couple of them that I like from Microlife specifically. This is their orange label Biomatrix. That is a liquid. I got a little quarks of it. You can buy some big gallons if you want. It's a seven one three high nitrogen liquid organic got beneficial microbes. I use it for houseplants because when you have a higher nitrogen fertilizer that's going to promote foliage growth and basically that's what our houseplants are is foliage and you mix it according to the label. You're not going to burn with it. Not a problem at all. But I'll use it on outdoor plants to give them a boost plants. You can put it on anything you want. Put it in a watering can and go around the yard fertilizing with it. Ocean Harvest which is a blue label. It is a four to two three. That is another excellent product from micro Life Fertilizer. Well, the music means I have to stop talking, but I'm not gonna stop talking until I say. I'm gonna be at Hoorges today. Orges Heading Gardens done in Alvin. If you haven't been down there before, well you need to go. You need to come see me and see what Orge has going there. We're gonna be giving away some of his product. He's given away five peach trees. You've been thinking about putting a fruit tree in the yard. Come, you may win a peach tree there. He has a lot of different kinds of fruit too. One pm to three pm, so it's an afternoon early to mid afternoon. One pm to three pm today, Elizabeth Street in Alvin. So basically, if you're in Alvin, you just get on Highway six and head down like you're going to Santa Fe. About halfway there, turn off to the right. Orges, hidden gardens. Come on and see me, Bring me some samples, bring me some pictures. Let's figure out what's going on and how to help you have a bountiful, beautiful place.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's trim. Just watch him as woes.
Speaker 4: So many good things to see, Black Basya.
Speaker 2: Not a Sunday sun beamon.
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning, good morning. We are glad you're listening to garden Line today. I'm your host, Skip. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. That's what we would like to happen. I suspect that maybe what you would like to happen as well. We'll just give us a call. All yeah, I do is doal seven one three two one two kt rh And there I said it again. I use the word dial Remember when we dialed phones. Just punt in the number seven one three two one two kt rh uh. Springtime brings some unique types of spring blooms. And Texas mount Laurela is one of those. If you've never smelled Texas Mountainlaurl, oh, my gosh, it is a gaudy smell. If you can use the word gaudy for a fragrance, it is, it absolutely is. It has a grape bubble gum, a grape kool Aid greape bubble gum is the way I remember remember the super bubble grape. That's what it smells like.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 6: I think it's wonderful. It perfumes the air with such a strong fragrance. It's cool. One time, San Antonio Potanical Gardens, we were taking a group of extension people from across the country a tour through San Antonio Botanical Garden and there was one around the corner of a building and it was around the corner you couldn't see it, and these people were going, what is that smell? That fragrance? And I had to take them over there and show them that's Texas Mountain Lairel. Well, you can get it at Buchanans Plants. Of course you can, because Buchanans Native plants is the leader when it comes to native place. Nobody has a selection that they do in the Greater Houston area, and there's always something going on. They always have programs going on. You just need to go to the website Buchanansplants dot Com. When you go in there, if you've not been in before, don't let the word native throw you. It's true. Their native selection is awesome, but they're gifts in the gift shop. The vegetables, the flowers, the herbs, the shrubs and trees and plants for every situation. Do you want to attract hummingbirds? You want to attract butterflies? Do you want a native plant that attracts butterflies or hummingbirds? Do you want a plant for shade? They have it all at Buchanans Native Plants. They are stocked and they have a full line of products from microlife and nitroposs and know some plant food, Nature's Way, heirloom soils. You get the idea. It's all there on Eleventh Street in the Heights. Go to the website, sign up for the newsletter Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot Com. Let's go out now to a Taska Sida and we want to talk to Robert Hey. Robert, Welcome to garden line. How you doing skip, You're doing all right today? I am, I am? How can we help today? Okay?
Speaker 16: Hey, I know right now a lot of weeds are going on the grass and I'm just asking, do you prefer to put granules down.
Speaker 6: Or liquid liquid for weeding feeding? You know, well, the liquid would be more of a just a weed control product. You would just get a herbicide for whatever kinds of weeds you're dealing with in spots free. It depends on the situation, Robert. If you have a large lawn, you a lot of weeds all through the area, the granule is better for a post emergent weed control product, And it always is better for a pre emergent because you want every inch of your lawn to have that product to prevent a future weed from showing up. Now, when it comes to a lawn that has a few weeds here and there scattered out, then you could still use the granule. But that's where maybe a spot spray with the liquid product may make more sense a little more efficient. So it's up to you, and it's up the situation.
Speaker 16: I got you, okay, And the spectra side, it's a weed and feed the one I was going to get it's a twenty zero zero.
Speaker 6: Do you recommend that one for liquefied Well, I would prefer not to use a liquid weed and feed personally for various reasons. I can't go on all the details on them, but I would prefer not. And it depends on the weed you have in the product that's in the wheat and feed thing, and so in general. Yeah, and and timing is very important on that. If it's a post emergent, we can do. We can fertilize now. We can do post emergent now. But I wouldn't. I would. Yeah, we just have to take it product by product. Okay, But I hope that helped you.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes it does.
Speaker 6: I'll just stick to the granules, all right. Thanks such appreciate that. Remember remember to wet your lawn before you put the granules down with the lawn. So it's in what leaves, all right, you got it. Let's uh, let's go here. Oh so you gotta close the gate.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 6: I can't keep up with all. Okay. Uh, Johnny and Katie, Hey, welcome to garden Line. Johnny, good morning.
Speaker 10: Uh. I use modena has to grow in your yard to spray on my yard.
Speaker 9: Is it too early to start that regiment because of the ground tipping.
Speaker 6: It won't hurt anything to do it, but you know, you want to have some healthy leaves to spray that on, and so maybe giving it just a little bit of time to get the new growth starting a little more. You're in the katy area, so I don't know exactly how long, but maybe a couple of weeks or three weeks or something. But let's just wait and see. Maybe two weeks should be enough.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 6: My only thing is i'd like, you know, you're going to spray that as a folier spray and it's going to go in the soil too, But yeah, I would I would probably wait just a little bit longer.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you for information.
Speaker 6: You bet, thanks for the call. Appreciate that very much. Cinamulch is a one stop shop. It's like, if you're looking for a place where, think of it this way. Cinamulch is where you set the foundation for success. Okay. On garden line, I keep saying brown stuff before green stuff, which is just a way of saying, get the soil right, and then when you put your wonderful plants in that you were so excited about. They'll hit the ground running and you will have success. Brown stuff before green stuff. That that basically is what that amounts to. Cianamulch has got all the mulches, It's got all of the things like a rose sooil or a Veggian herb mix. When you go there, you're gonna get the nutrients for your soil. It's part of the brown stuff, Microlife, Nilson, turf Star, the little jars of Nelson plant foods, Medina, nitrofoss azamite. You know that Cienamulch is at now there. Here's what you should do is right down the website Sienna Mulch dot com. There you'll find the phone numbers. Oh, you'll find the hours though. You find the location there on FM five twenty one near where Highway six and two eighty eight come together south of Houston. Sienna Mulch dot com. Start there and you'll end with success. Time for me to take a little break and when we come back, I'll be talking to Jerry out in Huckley and Ron in Cleveland. Look forward to visiting with you guys. Dolman, Welcome back to garden Line. Glad you are with us today. We've got lots of gardening talk to do. You know, when it comes to an organic plant food, the folks at Nitophos have really done their homework and creating something called sweet grain. Sweet Green is a molasses based product with microbial activity basically turned into a good source of nutrients, specifically nitrogen eleven percent nitrogen and sweet green smells great. That's why it has the name sweet Green and the fact that it comes from molasses space. When you put it on the soil, that sugary carbon is what it basically is, rocket fuel for the microbes in your soil. It's going to increase the population of beneficial microbes, is going to promote good health and performance of your lawn. Nitrogen is the most important element in terms of quantity that we put on our lawns through the course of the growing season. In terms of quantity, it's the one needed the most and it's the one that tends to come and go, and so we are always adding a little bit of nitrogen to our soils.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 6: Sweegering is available from the folks at Nitrofis in many different locations. For example, Nitrofos products can be founded at Chanted gardens out in Richmond Rosenberg. You're going to find it at Hiding and Feed on a student air airline. You can find it at the Fishers Hardware though I'm talking about the one in Pasadena on Southimore, Laporte on Broadway, the Fisher's Hardware and my Bellevue on FM three one eight zero and the Fishers Hardware, a lot of Fisher's hardwors and Baytown on Alexander nitrofis Sweeg Geren. Let's run out and now to the phones and we are going to talk to Jerry and Hockley. Hello, Jerry, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Hello, Yes, sir, thanks for taking my call. You bet, I'm actually in my truck making a little trip and I always tune in, and I thought, you know what, I'm going to call them up because my front will, basically all my front end backyard is just gone to crap.
Speaker 19: I'm one of those people that I just mow the grass. I don't do no fertilizing, you know. I just mow the grass usually once a week, and it's usually in you know, pretty full and nice. But it's just going downhill the last couple of years, and I wanted to get some advice. I'm ready to put the work in to bring my yard back. I know Randy used to have that scheduled. I don't know if that's still out there. I don't know if there's some websites you can direct me too.
Speaker 18: What do you though?
Speaker 6: Yes, all right, Uh, my website is gardening with Skip. That's me gardening with Skip dot com. Just gardening with Skip on there. I've got the schedules. I've there a little more. I've kind of added a lot more to them than the schedule you're familiar with that rand head.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 6: There's one schedule that's for lawn care, the things you do to make you long grow, no water, fertilized type things. The other schedules for the things that go after your lawn and how to can troll them. That would be insects, diseases, and weeds. They're both free. They're multicolor on there. They list all the products. They tell you when to apply them. You know when this shows up or that shows up that you might need to treat for and all that kind of thing. So just go to those and follow that. What your lawn's going to need is fertilizer, especially nitrogen based fertilizers to get a boost to the lawn. And then as far as the weeds, two things happen. Number One, the thicker your lawn gets, the fewer your weed problems. So that that's step in on weeds. Step two is where you would actually go in and kill weeds. We're in a time now in spring when you have the most options for weed control. We're putting pre emergency down now, and we're also killing those winter weeds that are that are going to seed in your lawn so they don't sentence you to a thousand more weeds next year, next fault. So those are the two things and they're all on they're all on that schedule. Jerry.
Speaker 18: Yeah, gardening, which skilled.
Speaker 6: Of a skip dot com.
Speaker 18: That's it, all right, all right, Well, I appreciate it what you're talking on, like aeration something like that.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's it's especially important to do aeration whenever you're you have a clay soil and and a compacted soil. Those are those are two times when aeration is really critical. But it helps get the oxygen in the soil and it does a lot to help your your things. Uh So that's also on my schedule. The aerration is also on my on my schedule online.
Speaker 18: All right, I'll tell you what. As soon as I can, I'm gonna I'm gonna go there and start educating myself.
Speaker 6: Okay, now here, you're gonna need to know you're gonna if you're gonna do some aeration. Green Pro. They're Auto Magnolia, but they service your area.
Speaker 18: You can go close, Yes you are, I'm very close to Magnol.
Speaker 12: You.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me give you Oh gosh, you probably can't write a phone number down, can you? I cannot know? Okay, well, just remember Green Pro Green Pro, They're i to Magnoli. You there, that's your aerating company for your area. All right, okay, all right, thanks man, appreciate it.
Speaker 18: Thank you. I appreciate you taking my call on that helpful advice. I don't try to get on this good luck.
Speaker 6: Well, take a picture of your lawn when it's ugly, and take a picture when it looks good and send me the pictures. I'd love to see them before and after.
Speaker 18: Okay you will, I'll sure do that, yes, sir.
Speaker 6: All right, you take care? Oh where are we now? Let's go to Cleveland and talk to Ron. Hey, Ron, Welcome to garden Line, Laura skip.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 20: It's kind of too late now, but I would like to know what happened to my Laurel peddling last Saturday. I was out there or not my Laurel. I'm sorry, my Texas Mountain Laurel. Last Saturday. Go out there early. You could see the buds. There's probably like one hundred and fifty of them, because the things like five years old and they're all starting to put out that dark blue and I figured by this Saturday they'd be all starting to bloom, but they all kind of ended up drying up and then they're like a little stem in a manner of just one week. I don't know any thoughts on what might have happened or.
Speaker 6: The plant itself looks okay, the foliage looks okay.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well yeah, there's the dark green foliage is the older foliage, which is where mostly all the blooms were. Then there's some lighter green that's probably like and that did it additional two feet.
Speaker 6: Growth on it.
Speaker 20: The plants thriving and all of a sudden, all those blooms just are there's probably not one out of there that's gonna actually open up.
Speaker 6: And have that fragrance and color. I don't know what would cause the can you hear me, yes, sir, I don't know what would cause the blooms to dry up, But the rest of the plant looks fine. Texas Mountain Paurel hates wet feet, so you know when it gets soggy soil, we that's when it starts to have issues and we see browning and death of the leaves and the plant itself. We didn't have a frost or anything like that, so that is very strange. I tell you what, I'm going to put you on hold here and let my producer give you an email and send me some close up pictures. I'm want to see the whole plant from you know, a little bit of a distance, and then I want to see close ups of it and let me see if I can see anything on them, because that's that's something's not right there for sure, and I'd like to be able to help you further than I can. Okay, So okay, I head.
Speaker 20: I was out there looking at it this morning, and I do see there was a leaf that I did notice that it was kind of browning. But I will be glad to take some pictures and get them to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, show me some and let me take a look at them and we'll figure it out from there. Appreciate ron the call, Thank you, thank you very much. If you've been down doing Chanty Gardens, which is out in the Richmond Rosenberg area, you know why I like that place so much. It is it's ingenting, it is beautiful. I was out there this spring giving a talk out there, and it's the same as always. You walk around, you just go wow, You just go wow. What do you need? Do you need a rose bush? Do you need some perennials? Oh my gosh. The selection they have on those two is outstanding. And one thing that is really cool. They do a wonderful job in those iron hanging baskets. They have a lot of pottery, They have a lot of hanging baskets and different types. Follow them on social media and you'll see Maria, one of their expert employees out there that is making hanging baskets. They show you how to make them, walk you through the steps. They are just gorgeous. And anytime you go to Enchanted Gardens, you know you're going to find a good selection and you know you're going to get expert advice. Listen. They absolutely they've got the train people. They sell you the plants that grow here, they tell you how to grow them. Any kind of bling you need for the landscape, like fountains and chimes and whimsical garden art, they have it. They carry the products that I talk about, like Microlife, nitroposs, Nelson, Medina, Nature's Way, Heirlooms. I mean, they've got it all there. They are located on FM three point fifty nine on the Katie Fullshire side of Richmond. Here's the website Enchented Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Let's go now to Pinehurst and talk to Greg. Hey, Greg, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, skip morning.
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 21: I just transplanted, or I should say planted forty I'm sorry, ten forty five gallon Eagleston Hollies, as well as moved about a sixty five gallon water oak from my front yard to my backyard.
Speaker 6: So they're sitting in the holes, but I have not filled them in yet.
Speaker 22: I was wondering if there's a product I should add to help with transplant shock or if they should be Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what I would do is. I probably would get some of the medina six twelve six. It's medina has to grow six twelve six. Did you hear me? I was mentioning that a little bit earlier.
Speaker 22: I wasn't tuned in, but I am familiar with the product, the Medina hasser the.
Speaker 6: Yeah liquid, correct, Yeah, it's a liquid and mix it. I would just put in a water can and then I would drench those root balls and I would do it about every week for about three applications if you want to, if you know a little longer, like two weeks between them, that's fine. But what it's God's got a lot of phosphorus in it. It's got a lot of other things that are going to help with that plant getting established. Remember remember with Holly's the first year, they're really picky about getting good dependable watering, not soggy, but good dependable. So the more you can handwater though, so you go all the way around them and you make sure and what that root ball, the better off they'll be going through this first summer, even the first two years really, because sometimes our sprinkler systems don't get a good soaking in an even way all the way around the plant. So the first couple of years, handwater those hollies through the heat of summer for better success.
Speaker 22: And then for the medina has to grow, I should how long should I hit it with that?
Speaker 6: For a couple of weeks, I would do three applications, you know, let's he did one today, about a week or two from now, do one. About a week or two from now, do one. And it's just kind of getting that product down in the root zone as those roots are trying to develop. They've got what they need.
Speaker 22: Yeah, and then do I need to before I fill them in? Fill the holes in? Should I put anything else in? Or just do the medina hassegrow and just kind of that's all I need.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't put anything well, you know what you could do. Nelson has a product called Genesis. It's a very dark brown granule. Genesis is excellent in the transplant mix. So as you're going to bring the soil back in, mix some Genesis around those roots in that soil. Don't just dump it on the zone mix. Some Genesis in the label tells you how much, and that'll help them get off to a good start as well. It's got a lot of good things in including microbes in it to be helpful. All right, Yes, that's it. Nelson Genesis comes in a little jar, comes in a jar.
Speaker 5: Right now, So.
Speaker 6: I bet they have some up there. Just just check with them and Nelson Jenson. All right, all right, say hi to them up at D and D. Alright, you take care, all right, folks, I gotta run take a break, Jim and A Lisa and Kay. You'll be up when we come back. All right, folks, welcome back to the Guardline. Glad to have you with us today. If you live down south of Houston, south and west of Houston, we're talking about from Sugarland across the Pearland. We're talking about from Missouri City down to Manville and Highway Sex. In fact, all those communities on Highway Sex, Fresno or Colis Siena, Iowa Colony all that area. BB turf Pros, B and B turf Pros. That is your number one person or company to reach out to you for compost, top dressing and core aeration, corroeration at your lawn. It's a family owned business. They provide honest, quality work and their number one goal is to make a personal connection with you as our client so that you are satisfied with the work that they do. And if you look at their reviews, they're winning at that. The people love them because they do good work. The website is Bbturfpros dot com. BB no end in the website BB Turfpros dot com seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. They only use products I talk about here on garden Line, like cnam Alt. They get their top quality leap more compos from CNA Malt. That's what I'm talking about. They're committed to doing good work with good products so that you have good success. BB Turfpros dot Com. I'm going to head out now to meadows Place. We're going to talk to Jim. Hey Jim, Welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 10: Good morning. Skip on my backyard, Saint Augustine. With all the rain we had, the backyard drain slow, maybe take five six days to drain out. I've developed five patches of brown brown patch. I'm I'm assuming what it is and I treated it once already with fertile ome F stop. My question is should I treat it again before I fertilize And when I fertilize does it make any difference which fertilizer to use. I have the Bruces blue and the fifteen five ten.
Speaker 6: Huh, well, you know you can. You can treat it. If you go on my schedule on garden on gardening with skip dot com, you'll see on there that there is a brown patch application that is made basically up until about mid March. I think we're hitting a point now though, where the benefit you're going to get from treating it is not worth it. In other words, the circles are already there and they will be greening up soon, and the brown patch will stop infecting as it warms up just a little bit. And so I would just wait and save yourself that trouble. Do the things on my schedule, you know, mowing, water, fertilizing, taking good care of it. I think that's the most important thing. If you were inclined and able to have someone come in and do some drainage, subsurface drainage, French drain kind of thing to make that yard not such a soggy spot. That would help your lawn and it would just help a lot of plants that are growing in that area. But that would be you know, that's a whole nother level of landscape activity. But anyway, that's the only thing they comes to my mind here in your dilemma.
Speaker 10: Do you have a preference on the fertilizer the use of the two.
Speaker 14: I named.
Speaker 6: Say those two again please Bruce's Glue and fifteen the Imperial the red bag from nitrofis. Yes, those are both excellent products. The Bruce's brew is going to have some nutrient forms of nitrogen that are going to feed a little bit longer in it, and the night fass is going to give you the quick early green up. Now, if you go to my schedule at gardening with Skip dot com, they're both on there. And you'll also notice that once we've mowed that lawn about twice and we get into the April time of the year, that's when we're going to be putting our longer term fertilizers on for carrying us through summer the slower releases. So either way you want to go, just do a light application of them for now and then because we're going to be doing the longer term things as it warms up just a bit more. Okay, understand, all right, sir, Thank you appreciate your call.
Speaker 14: Thanks for gett.
Speaker 6: You take care. Yeah, that nitro Foss Imperial. That's a fifteen to five to ten by the way, it is. Gosh, it was about fifty years ago that they Nitroposs created this and it was based on research at Texas A and M and other Lang Grant universities across the South that basically say turf likes a ratio with a lot of nitrogen, not too much phosphorus, and medium amount of potassium. That's the one two three or the three one two ratio rather that's on there. It's the red orange bag, red orange bag. So it's available, you know, just as Imperial. It's available as a weed and feed with a trimac in it also for the broad leaf weeds. If you if you were wanting to do both of those, this is the time of year when that kind of application is something that I would say, you know, could be done. You can get benefit from both of those. If you don't go that route. Night Fass products are available by the way, that that the one with the trimech and it is in a light blue bag, a light blue bag, and then make look for that word trimeach if you're going to go that route. You gotta have what weeds so to put that on because it needs to stick to the leaves. You're going to find it at Plantation Ace Hardware. That's out there, Richmond Rosenberg. You're going to find night Fosh Products. That is Langham Creek Case Hardware on five twenty nine up in Cyprus. RCW Nursery carries night FoST products, as does Lake Hardware, both the one in Ankleton and the one in Clute. I'm going to head now, let's see what who's next. I believe k and Pearland was next. Hey, Kay, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Hey, good morning, thank you for taking my call. Skip. I was calling regarding the gentleman who called about the tree hunker. I purchased one for my oak tree last year, well a couple of years ago. It was really dry hot. I got the fifteen inch My oak tree base is sixty inches, so obviously it's too you know, and other people may figured this out. But I opened it up and put it on half of my one side of the tree. I just did the slow so it covered most of the drip line on that side. Watered it thirty forty five minutes, then take it up and put it on the other side. Don't anybody be discouraged because their tree trunk is larger than the largest tree hugger, because you can there you go. It's a wonderful intention.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 6: Well, my dad used to say, well, hey, you're using your nogging. That's good. My dad used to say, use your head for something other than to hang your head on.
Speaker 15: Exactly.
Speaker 6: You're doing that. You're doing that that that is good. So you're basically watering half the tree turned around watering another half. It is such a great way to keep your trees alive. But we just keep them alive, yeah, to make them grow. You know, when I plant a tree, I want to know how soon can I hang a hammock in it? And true Haggert will shorten the time between planting and hanging a hammock. Thank you, Yes it will.
Speaker 17: Okay, i'll see you this afternoon.
Speaker 6: Oh good, you're gonna come out to Hoorges Hidden Gardens.
Speaker 17: That's good coming to Hoges because I have pictures of the elephant's foot plant.
Speaker 6: Oh oh great, Oh I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 17: Yeah, okay, we'll see you then.
Speaker 6: All right, you take care. That is wonderful to hear yeah, for sure. Speaking of Hoorges Hidden Gardens, speaking of Hoores Hedding Guards, I'm going to be at Horace Hidden Gardens today from one to three, from one to three. Now, Hoores is on Elizabeth Street, it says Elizabeth Street and Alvin. Actually, if you are in Alvin and you drive down Highway six towards Santa Fe, it's about halfway to Santa Fe. Off to the right, that's where it is, Elizabeth Street. Jorge has got tons of cool things. I mean I would just you know, we were communicating earlier about my coming out there and everything. Peach trees, all kinds of fruit trees, you know, Texas Mountain more. Remember the gaudy smell I was talking about. Yep, he's got he raes, got that. He also has the decidrous magnolias that are just beautiful. And you know, he's got roses. He's got all kinds of shade trees that you might want, but fruit of every kind. We're gonna he's gonna give away. What did he What did I say? I think it's five different peach trees today, five different peach trees. He's gonna give away some of his fertilizer. His special Horge concoction of fertilizer, and I'm going to be bringing along some folk some fertilizer from Nelson, the jars of fertilizer from Nelson plant food to provide as well. Well, I gotta take a little quick break here. I'd love to keep talking about Jorge's place, but hope you come out and see me. We'll be right back. All right, folks, welcome back to the garden Line. Got glad to have you with us right now. We've got a lot of things to talk about and a lot of people that want to talk about things. Spring Creek Hardware, Spress, Spring Creek Hardware, good Night. Spring Creek Feed which is up to the north and east of Tomball. That's on in Magnolia on FM twenty nine seventy eight FM twenty nine seventy eight. It's just a few minutes away from Grand Parkway and Highway to forty nine. Both they carry our full line of turf Star from Nelson, micro Life Fertilizers, Nitrophoss fertilizers. If you need to control weeds, they've got pre emergence and post emergence. They have fungicides and pesticides, lots of friendly, courteous folks there to help you. I mean you walk in and you feel like you're just being treated like family, well in the good way. Sorry that just yep, yep. Well anyway, they've got quality bet food, They've got quality products for your livestock and everything you need. If you are a youth with four h raising animals and things, they have discounts for that. For military folks, they have for senior citizens have discounts. They do special orders. Just let them know what you need and they make an order for you. They do a little lovery service too, which is really handy. Excellent selection for all the gardening products that you might want. And when you go in there, you're gonna go, wait a minute, this doesn't look like a feed store. This is beautiful. Yes, that's true, it is. It's Spring Creek feed. I love going in there, mainly because I love visiting with the folks and checking out all the many things that they keep on hand. I want to head now to Deer Park and we're going to talk to Steve. Hey, Steve, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Thank you. I was wondering what you used in the vegetable garden for ants.
Speaker 6: A fire ants we're talking about.
Speaker 19: Yes, yes, there is.
Speaker 6: I'm only aware of one product labeled for fire ants in a vegetable garden. Now there may be some that I'm only aware of one.
Speaker 23: Uh.
Speaker 6: And it is an organic product by Fertile Loan and it's called Come and Get It, Come and Get It. It is a bait based on spinosaid. The bag kind of has a light blue color to it. Come and Get It by Fertile Loan.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 6: And it's labeled for use in vegetable gardens. It's an organic fireant bait.
Speaker 9: Okay, and it's by Fertilean. You said.
Speaker 6: It's a little bag.
Speaker 9: I had another question about. I was turning over the compost pole and was putting some of the dirt adding it to the garden, and I had never noticed it before, but this year it's full of grub worms. And I mean, I think they're not I'm sure they're a natural part of the process, but uh, if I put it in the garden of I've been trying to pick them out by hand, But is there a better way to do that?
Speaker 6: You know, grubs and grubs like grassroots primarily, and so in a lawn that's you know, if you get enough of them, that's a concern. But there's always going to be grubworms in the dirt. That's just part of nature. As you said, picking them out is fine. I wouldn't worry about them a whole lot for most gardening kinds of things. But as you see them, just go ahead and pick them out. Okay. I think that there's no need to there's no need to drench it with an insecticide for that.
Speaker 9: Oh good, thanks. I had one other question I've heard you talk about the weedater. Is it just is it just a weed and feed or is it something different.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a fertilizer with a growth regulator and it also and the the weed control product is a post em. So what you would have to do is wet the weeds and then immediately put that dry granule out on it, and you'll you'll find that that will provide you know, the control of them. It sticks to the leaves, soaks into the leaves, and then after a couple of days you watered in. You get the fertilizer part down in the ground.
Speaker 9: Okay, So you don't water it. You don't water it directly after putting it down. You wait.
Speaker 6: A couple of day? What a couple of days? Wait the we the weeds. Put the product on, it sticks to the leaves, leave it alone. A couple of days, just god and watered in. You know, probably don't need two days, but I'm just saying, you know, give it some time to soak in good, uh, and then you should.
Speaker 9: Hey, is is there any advantage to go ahead over? Just like I was also looking at the nitroposs weed and feed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nitroposs. But but to be the to do the same kind of job that the weed needer does, you would want the nitroposs with trimac. It's a light blue bag, a light not purple, but light blue. Light blue bag with trimeac. That will do. Those both have a fertilizer and the post emergent and they have to have wet weeds that you put them on. Same thing I just said about the other. Okay, now, hey, you're you're in deer Park.
Speaker 9: What so with the weight and feed, you still supposed to wet it before you put it down.
Speaker 6: Yes, any kind of a granular weed and feed you need to wet before you put it down. For the for the post emergent product. Yeah, Hey, you're in Deer Park, and you got Deer Park lumber Ace Hardware right there on Center Street, and they're going to carry these things we're talking about. Okay, well, hey, thanks for the call. I appreciate that very much. Good luck getting all that under control. Peerscapes is well, let's to put this way. They know how to create beautiful landscapes. They do, and everything I would say about Peerscapes could be summed up in Go to their website piercescapes dot com. The phone numbers there, the pictures are there. You can call them two eight, one, three, seven fifty sixty. But piercescapes dot com. Look at the landscapes they've created, Look at what their designers can do. Look at the fact that they work on irrigation systems to make them efficient and work right. Look at the lighting home lighting that they do. Look at the drainage. We're talking someone just a minute ago had a poorly drained area of their lawn. Pierscapes knows how to do subsurface drainage. Right piercescapes dot Com, there are preferred garden lined landscaper. I head now out to Analisa in Nadville. Hello, Analisa. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: Hi, thanks for taking my call. So we live on some property and for some reason, our neighbors who bought the land next door have decided to build on the property line right across from our backyard. So we are trying to build a privacy screen with plants along our electric fence, so I don't have like a fence to support it, okay, And there's cows on the other side of that fence, so it's got to be something friendly to them. We're two years into golden bamboo and it has not taken off. We heard you say last week it can take three.
Speaker 6: Years, So three years, third years when it really starts to grow. Yeah, that's a good plant. That's a you know, a good plant. Just when you do bamboo, yous want to go with a clumping type as opposed to a running type by the way it tends to be Otherwise, it tends to be kind of invasive. So depending on how close the building is to your line and where you sit on your property, you may need not so high of a hedge, or you may need a really high hedge. For example, if you're at a patio and right beside you you've got a six foot hedge that's going to block the view. Because you're sitting down some six feet high you know it's going to block the view. Well, if it gets further away, like twenty feet away in the fence line, and you've got a two story building right there, well then you need a very tall screen in order to block that. Just make sure your screens are evergreen, which the bamboo is going to provide you that. And that's kind of the tips I would give you on blocking that view. But I think the bamboo would be a good option. There's also some taller plants that you get further up in the air, But it all comes down to where you sit and how high the thing you want to block is as to how tall the screen needs to be.
Speaker 24: Is there anything that takes off faster than the three years with the bamboo that's cost efficient?
Speaker 6: Okay, there's one strategy. And again I don't know how all you want to block this, but you can take a livestock panel. Do you know what those are? The galvanized panels like sixteen feet long, four feet high that they use for livestock panels. You put it up on posts and you plant vines on it, and so you could you know, you could put it up like six feet high and it goes all the way up to ten feet high and you have the vines there, and that is as fast of a cover as you're going to get to use that. That's not necessarily an attractive thing, but it does block the view. Otherwise, you're looking at planting plants that are going to move faster. If you've got bamboo that's been in the ground two years, you're about to hit the sweet spot where it really starts to grow. Just fertilize it. Bamboos a grass, use your lawn fertilizer on it, and fertilize it a lot, a water a lot, and get it to grow as fast as you can in this third year.
Speaker 15: Thank you so much.
Speaker 24: I appreciate you taking my call.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, I appreciate the call. Well, here we are, Hey, guess what today I'm gonna be at Jorges Hidden Gardens, Don and Alvin from one to three. He's giving us five fruit trees. We got some fertilizer giveaways. Come on and see us.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Skip Rickard.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as Supray.
Speaker 6: Sorry, all right, welcome, welcome back to garden Line. Thanks for listening today. Glad to have you with us. You know, I enjoy talking to gardeners. I always have. And you know, during my thirty what I don't know, thirty six years, I guess as a County AGR Life Extension agent. It's basically what I did all the time is doctor gardeners, helping gardeners with things. And I just think it's fun. Gardeners like talking to gardeners do. By the way, you get two gardeners together and next thing you know, here come the pictures of the tomato patch and everybody starts lying, that's we're at tomato last year that I couldn't even get in the wheelbarrow. All right, well we're having a little bit of fun. But that is how it is. Hey. RCW Garden Centers is called RCW Nursery. It's up on Beltway eight where it comes in with Tumball Parkway FM two forty nine. RCW Nursery. Their garden center is outstanding.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 6: They grow their own trees up in Plannersville at a property up there at the Williamson Tree Farm. And so when you get a tree at RCW, you're getting a tree that is a quality grown tree, and it's a species and variety that want to grow here. That's important. You can plan them yourself, you can have them plan them whatever you want, but that is a go to place for getting a good quality tree. Now. It is a favorite of rosarians because their rose selection is unbelievable. I mean every spring they start off with pages and pages and pages of roses that you get to choose from. When you go in there, you get the supplies you need, you know, products from Nitroposs, Microlife, a Nelson, turf Star, and so on. They've got all those supplies for you, and so you go home. You're ready to go to town on it. Right now, the selection they have of everything, I just obviously spring beautiful shrubs, lots of wonderful shrubs are at RCW Nurseries. If you are looking for annual color, if you're looking for perennial plants, if you look for vegetables and herbs, they stock up on all of it. And when you go in you've got expert folks. You know, this nursery's been open since nineteen seventy nine. The Williamson family still runs it and they're experts. Wh go in you get advice that is accurate and that is point on. You run into issues, talk to them about it. They can help direct you. At R C W Nurseries, easy to get to, corner of right at the corner literally of where Tamau Park, Wambolt Wait eight come together, easy access and when you get there you're going to find everything you need. Let's set out to Baytown and we're going to talk to Ron. Now, Hey, Ron, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Good morning, SIRC. What I'm looking for replacements more for my tangerine trees that froze a couple of years ago. I had a okay three that was about good trenches diameter fifteen cow frows to the ground. It was very okay, easy to feel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that's what I'm looking for, you know, I would my first thought is just head down one for which takes you all the way down, you know, to Moss Nursery down in Seabrook, down there, and I think Moss is probably the closest place that has an excellent selection of all kinds of citrus. Now, if you must have the exact same kind of citrus. Then you may want to give a call first, just to make sure that they have the specific one you mentioned, tenderine, the specific one that you're wanting to grow. But they they always have a good selection down there. Do you have a phone number for them? Do you need a phone number for them?
Speaker 18: I do need it?
Speaker 6: Uh to eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight.
Speaker 11: All right, thank you, sir.
Speaker 6: Have you ever been Have you ever been there before?
Speaker 11: Yes, several times. My girlfriend likes the skaghorn plant and a few other things that we go down.
Speaker 25: Look.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, they've got staghorns as big as a Volkswagen bug at most. All right, all right, well, I hope you take two checkbooks, because the bigger a staghorn gets, the more it costs. Right, you get a little one and it's okay, and you start getting bigger and they're proud of them. But boy, that's a great plan. It takes a long time to get a big one, so I understand why they All right, brother, have a good time, Thank you, Thank you, sir. Appreciate your call very much. I love staghorn. First, they're beautiful. Microlife has been making quality fertilizers for over thirty five years and here in Houston, Microlife Fertilizers number one selling organic fertilizer in the Greater Houston Aaria. In fact, it's old way beyond the scenario because it works. It does work. We're coming up on the spring season where we start fertilizing lawns and they got their six to four. I'll talk about that a lot more coming up. They have a hybrid type fertilizer that's Aday two four that works really well, gives you a little faster initial results to it. But then they also have and this is the one I really want to talk about. They have something that is a humous based product and now humus improves soil. It's as simple as that. It's called Microlife hum Mats plus. And when you put it down on an ongoing basis, you can do it now, do it in the fall, do an x spring, do it in the fall, and just keep doing it. You are continuing to add the quality humous products into the soil, which helps with soil structure, helps microbioactivity. It's it's just a good addition to make. Don't think of it as something instead of fertilizer. Think of it as something in addition to the fertilizer. We're doing the humates plus, which amounts to concentrated compost in a bag. We're doing that to improve our soil, because we all know when you improve the soil, you improve the plant brown stuff before green stuff, even when it comes to the lawn. Getting the soil right is the critical step and having success. Let's set out to Houston now and talk to Chat. Hello, Chat, Welcome to garden Line. Thank you, good morning.
Speaker 25: My question is last year we had quite a bit of We had some oxlice in our flower beds and we dug them up, you know, below the surface with the seeds and so forth.
Speaker 26: And then after that I was spot weading with a mixture of vinegar and water to kill individual plants. Well over the winter, okay, I mean it's back stronger than ever.
Speaker 25: I literally have a crop of it the flower I was wondering, what's what's the best way to treat that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Uh so, is this the the oxalice that has little green leaves about the size of your thumbnail, or is this the oxalice it has larger purple leaves.
Speaker 25: I'm pretty sure it talked out. It's like a three leaf clover.
Speaker 6: Okay, I tell you what, Yeah, okay, could you hang on. I have to go to a break and let's come back and we'll pick that up. Then just hang on just a second. I'll be right back. All right, We're going to jump right back in here and continue our conversation with chet Chet. You said you had ex salice, and it's in It's in flower beds or lawns are everywhere.
Speaker 26: It's mostly in the flower beds.
Speaker 6: There's some in the lawn Okay.
Speaker 14: Well, I got quite a crop of it in the flower beds.
Speaker 6: Okay. Well. Mulching thick and continuously is important because it blocks the sunlight from hitting the soil and the seeds aren't able to establish well from that way. Now, the challenge we have here is products maybe label for lawns but not flower beds or vice versa. But what I would say in terms of getting ahead of exalis, there's three steps. Number One, keep the soil constantly mulched, so if the seeds don't have a chance. Number Two, the minute you see plants, treat them all right. Let me actually number two would be a pre emergent herbicide. That would be you know, in the lawn we put down things like barricade and stuff. You're gonna probably have trouble finding those labeled for flower beds. There are a few on the market that are labeled for flower beds that are a pre emergent and that will help prevent oxalas from germinating. So multch a pre emergent herbicide is another option. And then the third one is once they're up, don't let them go to seed, because they go to seed and their seed pods explode and throw those seeds long distances, and so the when they come up, you have to use a post emergent prop on them. And what I would recommend you do is get you a product that's labeled for post emergent broad leaf weed control. This will be a liquid that you mix up. UH And for a liquid that you mix up, you want to apply it with my weed wiper. If you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com, the weed wiper is on there. It shows you how to build one, and it shows you products and things that you can put on the weed wiper. Sponges on the end of a stick is what it amounts to. And once you see oxalis, just every time you see it, go out on Saturday morning with one of those weed wiper tools. There are long enough where you don't have to stoop over. Just just wipe, wipe that weed leaf with a sponge and never let it go to seed, and you can win that war. Those those steps are all part of a comprehensive program to get ahead of Oxalis.
Speaker 26: Excellent, Thank you so much for you all.
Speaker 6: Right, yes, sir, thank you for the call. I appreciate that.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 6: Southwest Fertilizer has been a Houston lawn and garden tradition since nineteen fifty five. They're celebrating their seventieth year anniversary. So happy anniversary there, Bob and all the folks a Southwest Fertilizer. If you hear me talk about a product, I promise you it's in Southwest Fertilizer. Everything everything you need is there. If they don't have something, you don't need it, I really mean that there's not some product out there that I have to send you somewhere else. For Southwest Fertilizer has them all fertilizers, weed control, insect control, herb fungicides for disease control and synthetic and organic. They have the largest organic selection in the Greater Houston area. They have a ninety foot wall of tools with quality brands, not the junk you use for a while, get frustrated and throw it in the trash. We're talking about quality brands like Felco and Corona and more. It's all there Southwest Fertilizer corner of this nuton Rnwick Southwest Fertilizer dot com. You need to give them a call seven to one to three six six six one seven four four. Let's set out to Tombull. Now we're going to talk to Robin Illo. Robin more to skip as.
Speaker 19: I had a question about using the planners makes you'd find the landscaping yard.
Speaker 14: Can you use that for a vegetable garden?
Speaker 6: Well, you know that saying planners mix and a landscaping yard could be a lot of different products with a lot of different characteristics. So in a vegetable garden, you want to use something that's that's pretty well screened so you don't have any chunkiness to it. So the same would be true of something you find in a yard. Now, you can you know up in the Tombole area. There you can get the veggie and herb mix that Airloom Sols produces by the bag. You have them to deliver it too to the driveway, or you can go out there to porter and go get it. Either way you want to go. Also, Arborgate sells their soil and their compost mixes by the bulk, so if you need a quantity, you ought to call them over at Arburgate and you know, say you hurt on guardline. They sell by the bulk because they had their one two three system also available not just bag, but by the bulk, and that would be another great way to go. And it's very close to you there, so that would be good, all right, a good deal. I thank you sir, all right, thank you. I appreciate your call. You hurt, you bet. Yeah, it's something people didn't know probably about Arbrogate. You know that Arbrogate's the it's the plant place. I mean, everybody knows. You want cool season collar vegetables, herbs. You want beautiful shrubs like roses and camellias and deciduous magnolias. Do you want fruit? They carry fruit year round, fruit trees, berries, grapes, they're a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty in Tombol for those of you who are listening to me, had this conversation with Robin and talking about Arburgate. Where is it? Well, that's where it is. Pretty much. Ever gardener it's been around here for a while knows about Arburgate. And that one two three system is three bags. It's an organic food complete on organic food complete, and it's complete. Food's got even got calcium in it as well, which is important. It's they have an organic soil complete, and that's kind of what I was talking about there. And then the organic compost complete. The combination of the soil and the compost mixed together and very very rich, and the soil itself is just fine to grow directly into. Love going to Arburgate. I promise you this when you go in, allow yourself some time, because there is an endless supply of plants to see. And that's the kind of place where you go into your shopping and they just say, well, come with me, and they walk with you, you know, and like, well let me show you this plan. Well, let me show you this plan over here, and they're answering your questions, and it's it's like a concierge for the garden center that's helping. But concierges don't get up from the desk to walk with you. That is how it is at Arborgate. That is what we call a full service garden center that knows our area, that sells your plants that grow here, and that no matter what's going on in your yard, you can go in there and get help, professional, professional, accurate help at the Arbor Gate. Now, remember when you go out there, it's on twenty nine to twenty west to Tombul. You want to take Treisher Road around the back to park in their parking lot in the back because that is the safest, easiest access. It is really really nice. I love that new edition, fairly new edition that they put in there. Where are we on time?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 6: I got a little bit more time here. We can talk some more. Today. The clock is just racing on me, so I'm having trouble keeping track of where we are. Do you have some old furniture metal furniture out there that is just not looking so good. Maybe it's rusty, maybe the pain is chipping off, Maybe the bolt and things holding it together. Rusty Houston Powder Coats can make it better than new. I mean they really really can. Forget painting it. Call Houston Powder Coats and ask them about getting a quote for your furniture. It may be cast iron, it may be wrought iron. It may be the aluminum patio furniture. It may be a little light pole out in the front yard in the garden, you know, in the yard. It may be like, oh, I don't know, something like a rail along a porch that's a metal rail. It doesn't matter what it is. If it's metal, they're gonna put a coating on it and they're gonna make it like new. They have over one hundred colors that you can choose from. So if you like the old rusty look but you don't want it rusting, well, you can put a color that looks like that on it and it's good to go. They replace the hardware on it, things you know with the little nuts and bolts with stainless steel, replace the plastic feed and endcaps. I'm talking about making it like new. Now here's where you'd have a pen when you listen to garden. So I'm about to give you something you need to write down sales at houstoncoders dot com. Sales at houstoncoders dot com, Take a picture, send it to them. They'll give you a quote, quote on what it takes that they offer free pickup and delivery in the greater Houston area. Also, I mean, what else can you want? Houston Powdercoders dot com, Houston powder Cooders dot com. I'm I follow them on social media and looking at the kind of work that they do. I was in their shop not too long ago, just looking at everything. I mean, they can powder coat anything. You got a Gooseeneck trailer, they got a bend big enough to pull it in and put a coating on it. I mean, it's seriously, give them a try, give them a try, get get a quote from him. You will be very impressed. A while back, I was visiting with Danny out at Enchanted Forest. In fact, I should say Danny's there's two Dannis there. There's Danny Landerman, the guy that owns it, you know, and Danny is he's a hoot. I always like going out and visiting with him. But anyway, when you go out to Enchanted Forest, you are going to find really quality help. You may get to meet Danny Millican. He's the new manager for growth out there at Enchanted Forest, and they can take you around. They'll show you everything they have. They've got citrus, they've got other kinds of fruit trees, excellent selection of herbs and vegetables too. By the way, the flowers are wonderful. You know, when I think of Enchanted Forest, I always think about pollinator plants because they have so many of those, and they even have plants that are butterfly larval food sources. You know how milkweed attracts monarch butterflies in attract by feeding the larva. You'll get that as you get into summer, you'll leave and see plants with the larva on them. So it's like getting a sour dough starter. You get to take the plant home. If you want the caterpillar, you get to keep it, no extra charge, and you got your own start on a butterfly garden. Enchanted Forest is on FM twenty seven fifty nine on twenty seven fifty nine, and that is if you're in Richmond Rosenberg heading up toward Katie Sugarland or towards Sugarland excuse me direction, it's off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. Of course, you know when you're there, you're always going to find things like the tools and the fertilizers. They have a great selection of all that kind of stuff. And again, this is this is the kind of mom and popgarden center you want to go visit because the staff is friendly and it knows they know what they're talking about. I've been to a lot of places and I don't have to sit there and diss companies. But some people sell things other than plants, and like lumber for example. Maybe. And that doesn't mean that they necessarily have qualified people working in the garden center, you know, but you want a place that has people that know their plants, that you can even bring a problem in like a picture or a sample. Channet Forest is that kind of place. They're going to be able to help you. They've got the knowledge to help you have success, and that is what it's all about. Plus it's just a fun place to shop. I love the scene. You know, when we're going to get into summer heat here at some point, they've got these big beautiful shade trees that even in hot weather, it's just a pleasure to go out there and wander around and do your shopping anyway, and Chennet Forest, I don't know what else to tell you, but it's a place that you will like if you haven't been there before, and if you have, you already know what I'm talking about. In Richmond, if you're trying to pot up some plants, and boy I was doing that just the other day. Jungle land from nitrophoss has. There are two versions of jungle land that are made for plants and containers. The outdoor version is called jungle Land Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil jungle nd Flour and Vegetable Planting Soil. It works, It drains well, it holds moisture, but he can both be true. Well, it holds moisture, but it doesn't keep its soggy saturated. It drains away, which is exactly what a quality potting soil should do. Indoors, there's a jungle land water saving potting soil. Why is it water saving because it has crystals that soak up water and hold onto that water. So even if the soil starts to get a little dry, the roots can get some moisture from those crystals, so it gives you a little extra leeway when it comes to watering your plants. Jungle land products like nitroposs available in a lot of different places. You're going to find nitrofoss products at ACE and Single Ranch Aspas Ace Up in the woodlands. You're going to find it at the excuse me, the M and D up in Cyprus, the D and D and Top Feed and tombaal the M and D Beamer Sagemont, or excuse me on Beamer Street in Sagemont, the Clear Lake Store of M and D on Bay Area Boulevard, and then at Brenham Plants and Things another place where they carry nitrophoss products. So I always say they're easy to find because they're everywhere. It works for sure. I'm gonna take a little break here in just a second. I just want to remind you I'm going to be at Hoges Hidden Gardens today from one to three, so I hope you'll come out and see me. It's done in Alvin, Texas, just from Alvin Head south towards Santa Fe about halfway and it's off to the right Horges Hidden Gardens and we got some great giveaways. Hi, welcome back, Welcome back to garden Line. If you want to have success with plants, the formula I always apout out here on garden Line is brown stuff before green stuff, meaning you get the soil right, get the soil right, and then you put that plant in the ground, and it's gonna, as we say, hit the ground running. It's going to be ready to go because its foundation is setting it up for success. And heirloom soils is all about creating successful foundations. So here's what I mean. Do you want to grow veggie nerve, get their veggiine nerve mixed. Do you want to grow roses, get their rose soil. Do you want to grow things that are fruit trees for example, or things that are acidic like azelas and blueberries. They have mixes for all of that. You can buy leaf more composts that's super high quality stuff for top dressing lawns. You can buy that from them. You can get there's a lot of ways to get heirloom soils wherever you live. You can go to the store and buy it by the bag. A lot of our Garden Center supporters and places like Ace hardware stores, speed stores. You know there's places at carry heirloom soils by the back. You can go out to porter and you can pick it up bulk, either a bulk in a trailer, or you can have them set a supersack, which is a cubeard of mix in a sack. They just set it right down in your vehicle there. Or you can have them deliver either way to your house. Whichever way you want to go about it, just get it and get the soil right before you plant. If you're going to put in a garden, first thing most important is get that soil ready. If you're going to put in flower beds or anything like that, heirloom soils it's as simple as that. If you're interested in looking into a delivery, just give them a call to eight one three five four nineteen fifty two eight one three five four nineteen fifty or you can go to the website if you like to use the website do I would just pretty much do everything by the website if you're up to me well anyway. Heirloomssoils dot com airloomsoils dot com. They have a cool soil calculator where you can figure out exactly how much soil you need to cover whatever area that you need, and you'll see all the soils that they have there at Heirlooms Soils. I'm going to head out now to talk to Jay. Jay. Are you in Missouri City? Are you in the state of Missouri?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 27: No, I'm in Missouri City.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 27: I kind of a quick question about front trees that my wife and I we were trying to plant on our in our house. And so she was just debating between Texas mountain laurels, Japanese blueberries or redbuds, or also Mexican wild olives. So she had narrowed it down to four. We were looking for something that's going to get I mean, it's going to be in a place that's exposed to a lot of sunshine and heat in the front yard. We didn't want it to get super super tall, but we're, you know, trying to plant something that's low maintenance, will last pretty much forever, as you know, will handle the freezes and the heat. And so I just wanted to take get your take on those four in which one you would prioritize if it.
Speaker 6: Was all right, Well, Jay, plants, like people have their pluses and minuses. So there's good points and bad points about all of us. Now let me tell you about those plants. First of all, I wouldn't plant Japanese blueberry. It's a fine plant, but it's so prone to certain kinds of pest problems. It's a little bit on the coal tender side. Those are the two drawbacks that I think you're not going to be as happy with that. Speaking on the coal tender side, the Mexican olive is on the cold tender side. I love the plant, it's beautiful blooms. The drawbacks of Mexican olive are that it can be a little messy when it drops it, you know, the bloom fruit types of things. And it's also when we have a good hard cold, it's going to kill it back a good hard cold. That doesn't happen every year, but that can happen. So see Texas Mountain Moral. It's tough. It's drawback is don't let its feet stay soggy. If drainage is it all in question, put it on a raised mound, a nice large like a pitcher's mound, very large, raised up to get good drainage. Because it's a good, tough plant. The other drawback for Texas Mountain Oral is it grows really slow. It's a very slow grower. And what was the other one I think that didn't you Red bud? Yeah, red bud is fine. It does best as an understory where you get its morning sun is shining on it, but late in the day it is it is a little bit of a break from the heat of the sun. You'll see red buds in full sun, but they prefer to be an understory. There is one red bud called the Texas red bud, and you know it because the leaves aren't that pointed heart shape with a point on the bottom. They're more rounded, and they're more shiny, and they're more leathery, they're thicker. And if you can find the Texas red bud, that would be the red bud I think because it sounds like this is going to be out in the full sun. Correct. Okay, Yeah, so those are those I don't know.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Another good one I didn't see on your list is Chinese fringe tree. Chinese fringe tree. It has shaggy white blooms. Shaggy white blooms and in the spring only they have a nice light fragrance to them, and so you might wanna you may want to try that one. It's one of my favorite spring blooming shrubs. So by the way, I'm oh, yeah, yeah, it needs to be in as much sun as you can give it. That that is the case. So hey, let me uh, I'm gonna be down at Jorge sid And Gardens, which is in between Alvin and Santa Fe and that's just down Highway six and he has them down there if you like to come down, and I'd love to, you know, see if you got any other questions, come on out. We'll be doing some giveaways of fruit trees and fertilizers. But you could actually see a Chinese friend. He carries those down there at Horacehadden Gardens, so you kind of get an idea. Anyway, get some time one to three today. All right, you take care, good luck with your projects.
Speaker 27: Thank you.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, folks, here we go. Yeah, lots going on today. Yeah, I'm going to be given away. Hara is going to be given away some of his special blend fertilizers and he's got a real cool product down there. I have some Nelson platfood products too that I'm going to be given away to samples to people that come out. He's given away five peach trees. That's that's a lot. And so if you're thinking, I know, id'd luck to have a peach tree, but you haven't planned it one yet. All right, come on out, maybe you'll win one. By the way, bring me samples in bags of plants to identify, ror to diagnose, and bring me pictures on your phone. Let's look at them. I'm been down way south like that in a good while. So all of you you down south of Houston area, I hope you'll come on out. We would love to visit with you. We're going to be close to all you folks from sugar Land to Pearland and on south nown for those of you be done. Someone asked the other day, am I coming to Lake Jackson or Angleton anytime soon? No, but this is about as close as I'm going to get. So come on up and let's have a good time this afternoon one to three at Jorges Hidden Gardens. Night Fass Barricade is the go to product for preventing weeds in your lawn. It works on broad leaf weeds and grassy weeds. Most species of broad leave and grassy are going to be stopped and prevented by barricade. Now, barricade comes in a tempon bag. It covers five thousand square feet, so that I'll ought to tell you you're not using a lot. You don't need a lot of it. You're putting it out in an even application with your spreader and you're watering it in and then when the weeds try to sprout, it's there and the weeds are trying to sprout. So if you're going to do a pre emergent, if you're going to use the barricade, do it soon. I would say today would be a good day to do it, but definitely in the next week. Get that done. You're going to find it, like other nitroposs products, in many places. You know, you go to Plants for all seasons. On two forty nine, you go to Ace Hardware City Up a Memorial Drive, M and D Out in the Rosenberg area carries it as well. Carries it as well. Court Hardware on South Maine in Stafford. Another place that you're going to find the product. Barricade good high quality product. The Antique Rose Imporium is one of those places that you just have to go and see to appreciate. They're up there north of Brunham in Independence. Here's the website. Write this down Antique Roseemporium dot com. They got their annual Spring celebration that they just finished. It was awesome, very good. In fact, no, I'm sorry. It's today and tomorrow annual Spring Celebration. They're in the big middle of it.
Speaker 2: Skid.
Speaker 6: The kids Spring Break workshops from March tenth through thirteenth. Children in the Garden program will be March nineteen and sixteen, and the first two in April as well. Starts at ten am. They have a free Ladybug release on March twenty ninth at ten and again at two pm on March twenty nine. How do you find out about these things? Go to Antique Rosenporium dot com. They are roses, oh my gosh, or they ever roses, but there's so much more native plants, all kinds of other wonderful plants. It's a great place to visit, and spring is the best time to go to the antique rosing. For him, it's just gorgeous out there. Time for me to take a quick break. I'll be right back. Hey, welcome back. To the guarden line. Good to have you with us today, listen. I was just yesterday out filling a feeder that it has picked up at wild Birds Unlimited. It is the it's an eco feeder. It's basically made out of recycled plastics and it's an excellent It's a hopper type type feeder, meaning it's got a litt hinge lid. You lift it up, you fill it up, you put it down. The lid on this is extra wide so when it rains, like unlike some feeders, you don't get so much rain in there that's kind of messing up the bird seed sitting down in the tray. It's got a little bit better protection. I love the feeder. I love the fact that it's a recycle plastic. Just really good and it's extremely durable. You know, when you go to Wildbirds Unlimited, you're going to find quality feeders. You know, hummingbird seasons coming, they've got the hyperch feeder for that. I have my squirrel feeder that I call it the squirrel feeder because it's called the eliminator and it keeps the squirrels out. They try to grab onto it and they can't get in it. The little door shuts when they try to get on it. I love that about it too. You know, they have quality seed and right now is the time to do nesting super Blend. Wildbird's unlimited nesting super blend. It's got sunflower chips, peanuts, meal worms, bark, butter bitsa flower tree, nuts, and cal which is important for the development not only of the birds skeletal structure, but also eggshells. That's an important part. And birds are nesting. Wild Birds Unlimited nesting superven their super blend. There's five Wildbirds stores, excuse me five, there's six Wildbird stores in the Greater Houston area, so I don't care where you live. You and Clare Lake, there's one there. Cypress, there's one there Houston on the just south of central Houston on bel Air. There's one there, Houston West on Memorial Drive. One there. Kingwood has the Wildbirds Unlimited, and so does Pairland down on Broadway. It's easy to find one near you go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston. Let's go out now to Cypress Ranch and we're going to talk to Kevin. Hey, Kevin, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Yes, I'm here. I hope you can hear me.
Speaker 28: I can, oh, okay, okay, yeah, I haven't really started spring yard work and started today a little bit raking up oak leaves from the curb.
Speaker 14: And gutter area. Got a lot of erosion from unhealthy edges.
Speaker 6: How can I help? How can I help today?
Speaker 11: Kevin Well, I wanted.
Speaker 14: To know if that if I should just you know, throw those leaves and dirt and stuff back into the yard and mow over it, or does that actually slow down the the growth process or improve it of your lawn.
Speaker 6: Yes? Yeah, if the if the amount of debris you are mulching back into the lawn isn't too great, that's okay. We return grass clippings for that. But when you're talking about a bunch of dried leaves, are very slow to decompose, so I would probably run over it, chop it up good, and use it as a mult in your flower beds or other places. A little bit of leaves is okay, but you don't want to put too much because it'll almost becomes like a thatch that's kind of slow to decompose in there. So that would be the bottom line on that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's something that I heard. I don't really have a good place for a large amount of composting and stuff like that. So I've been, you know, throwing away a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 6: Well hang on to it, you use it as maltz. But that that certainly would work, and just a little bit is fine to mulch in if you've got a good sharp mulching mower. Hey, I appreciate your call very much. Thank you for calling in, and good luck getting that place in tiptop shape.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 6: You bet bye bye. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t R H. If you want to give us a call and be up, probably we'll pick you up. Maybe I call this hour, but probably most likely though, you'll be first up next hour.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: Hazemte is that micro nutrient product we keep talking about here on garden Line. Azemte contains micro nutrients are also called trace minerals that are essential for plant growth but only needed in small quantities. You can go to asmite Texas dot com and find out more. Pretty much everywhere I go I see as m. You know our garden centers we talked about on garden Line, the A hardware stores, the feed stores, all kinds of places you're going to find asamite available. It is something you it's on my schedule, and you're gonna put it out once maybe twice a year if you want to. But it's not in place of fertilizers. It is separate from your normal lawn fertilizing. It's a small particle, so don't mix it with fertilizer. But put out your fertilizer and then put out the asamite separately and you'll be good to go. That works really, really well. I was telling you several couple of weeks now, I've been talking about Pest Brothers. Pest Brothers is our basically our pest control regional company that we talk about here on Garden Line all the time. And by regional, I mean if you live all the way out let's say east in Baytown, if you're over in Katie on the west side, or up to the woodlands really up I forty five, or all the way down to Texas City on the south end. They cover that whole area and they do pest control of all types. Now they'll I mean that means like four legged pests like rats for example, and other issues that are on four legs. Sometimes we do with Boston's and whatnot. They can handle all that. They know how to deal with it. That deals with the indoor pests like termites, Boy, that'll spoil the show in your home. They have termite systems that are very safe and very long lasting. So you know you have the insurance, the peace of mind of good control. The household pests like cockroaches. You know, if your mother in law's coming over and the cockroaches are going to scare it to death, just call pest Brothers. They'll take care of it now if you want them. Well, I'm not going to go there, never mind. If you have fireheads and the yard, if you have to, I hope my mother in law and listen into that fire ends in the yard. Mosquitos in the yard. They know how to control all of that. They got that really cool. You need to call them and ask them to tell you tell you about their mosquito bait bucket system. It is really cool, extremely safe, way more effective than just blasting pesticides all over the property trying to kill flying mosquitos. Mosquito bait bucket. Just call them. Here's the number two eight one two O six forty six seventy two eight one two o six forty six seventy thepestbros dot com, thepestbros dot Com. Let's see here, We're gonna go to Cyprus and talk to Kevin. Hello, Kevin. We got just a short time, but let's see if we can help you.
Speaker 14: Oh you already help me?
Speaker 6: Oh okay, I'm sorry, I all right, Sorry about that. I pulled up the wrong one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Let's go to Jersey Village and talk to George. Yeah, good morning, Hey George, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 12: We got a Chinese tallow tree in the backyard and my wife says, get rid of the roots, get rid of the tree, or get rid of me.
Speaker 6: So what can I do about that?
Speaker 11: If anything?
Speaker 6: Boy, the stakes are high on that one. George. Hey, here's what you do. You go out there and you and you cut it off, and immediately after you cut it off, you want to dab a product containing triclop heer on the cut. If you will go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot com. That's my website. When you go on there, you want to find the go to the publications and there is a publication that I just recently rode called Controlling Woody Weeds in the Landscaping Garden, and it tells you you basically take straight tricle peer you put it in a little pham brush with a little wooden handle, those old things, and you dab it right on the fresh cut, especially around the outside of that. If it's a larger tree, around the outside of the trunk, that's all the living tissues are dabit straight on there, and it will do a very good job of moving down and killing. And you may on an established tree get a little more sprouting, but just cut them off again and do it again, and that will knock it out. It'll save your marriage, and we'll get rid of that tree.
Speaker 14: So get rid of that.
Speaker 6: There are not many products that will save your No, not the roots. Just do the stump, kill it, and once it's killed, then you can deal with the stump getting it out, all right. All right, have you ever heard of a product that promises to save your marriage? That's quite a sales pitch, Thanks George, all right, take care, all right, making peace in the house, one family at a time here on garden line. Oh boy, oh, I am so excited. Today about getting down to Hoorges Hidden Gardens in Alvin. Actually, if you're in Alvin on Highway six, you head towards Santa Fe about halfway and it's off of the right hand side. It's on Elizabeth Street. That's the address. Elizabeth Street. Jors giving away five peach trees. He's giving away some fertilizer. I'm bringing some Nelson fertilizer to give away. We're gonna answer questions all of you down south. This is as far south as I get this year. I'm singing looking forward to one o'clock to three o'clock this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie R. H. Garden Line with scip Rictor.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as many things to selocks.
Speaker 11: Come.
Speaker 6: All right, we're gonna jump right back in here. Welcome to garden Line. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and more fun in the process.
Speaker 11: And there.
Speaker 6: You know, there's very few things you can do outside that just give you instant effects, and one of them is containers. Container color is just amazing. Uh, beautiful containers filled with a quality mix with beautiful plants in them. I mean, you know you got to you got somebody coming over tonight and you want to make the place look good, gets you some good You could do that literally and be ready to go for to night. Quality mix is important. You need a mix it drains well and a mix that holds moisture at the same time, not too much moisture, but it holds moisture. That's jungle Land. Jungle Land flour and vegetable planting soil is their outdoor version from nitrofoss to get those kind of results. And I'm just saying that makes a big difference. You know, you don't if you don't have time to make flower beds and do all that. Maybe you're planning on doing that, but what about right away? What about fast stuff? What about when one plant starts to look a little and you just pull it out, put a new one in the container, and you're ready to go. Now, you're gonna find products from night Foss like jungle Land. You're gonna find them at places like a Jenny Forest down there in the Richmond Rosenberg area on FM twenty seven fifty nine. You're gonna find them at Ace Hardware, Single Ranch. You're gonna find him at Aspa's Ace in the woodlands and you're gonna find them at d and Defeat in Tumbule area. Just another quality product from the folks at Nitrofoss.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 6: Let's run out here on the phone and we are gonna go to Baytown and talk to Mike. Hello, Mike, Hi, how can we help today?
Speaker 29: Well, I've got a grass issue, Saint Augustine grass in the backyard.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 29: I've got a big backyard and I've got dogs, and i had Saint Augustine grass. We've been living here over twenty years, since nineteen ninety seven, and it was strong Saint Augustine for a lot of years, and then slowly over the years it's slowly got overtaken by this sort of rye grass looking stuff that comes up really okay big in the spring, and then it is okay, it's gotten a little low. So we're thinking about getting a pallet of grass put in there. But my question is if we spend all that money, do it right. Uh, it's going to keep it from happening again. What causes that? You know, there's some other parts of our yard that Saint Augustine stays real strong, you know, like the whole front car.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So so as far as grass declining, many things can do that too much shade, uh compacted soil, poor drainage, you know areas it could be. It just could be a lot of things. Watering and fertilizing and mowing are the three secrets to density in your lawn. And so if you go get my schedule online, you'll find one that is on gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot Com, there's two schedules. One on the things to make your lawn grow like mowater, fertilized, one on things that attack your lawn like weeds, pest and diseases. Check that out. On the weed one you will see a fall application of pre emergent herbicide and the one I would recommend you use is barricade from nitrophoss. But look at when you apply it in the fall. When you do that, that will prevent that weed that's grassy that you're seeing now, it'll prevent it from being able to sprout and come up. And just so follow the schedule on that one. As far as lawn health, mowater, fertilize, Yes, put put in some fresh new lawn. If you feel like the area is really compacted you mentioned dogs where where the problems are occurring. A core aeration with some compost top dressing is a helpful way to do with.
Speaker 29: That, okay, but we should go ahead and proceed with the plan of replacing it.
Speaker 6: With yes.
Speaker 29: With the yes sane Argustine, you're getting a pallet of grass and then going.
Speaker 6: There, Yeah, get rid, Yeah, get rid of whatever's there. You may have some perennial weeds. I don't have some bermuda grasses in it or anything else that's perennial. Get rid of that before you put the fresh new grass in, so you don't just have to deal with the weeds continually that are perennial. But that would go. That'd be my suggestion, sir.
Speaker 19: Okay, Now what was that a dot com you gave me again to look.
Speaker 6: At gardening with Skip? That's me gardening with skip dot com. All right, Good luck, Mike, Thank you appreciate it. You Bye bye. Nelson water Garden and nursery out there and Katie is a destination place. I mean that, that's the best way that I can describe it to you. Is a destination when you go out there. Of course it's a watergarden, but it's also a nursery. Nelson Watergardens and Nursery is going to have whatever you're looking for. Are you looking for flowers, They've got them. Are you looking for herbs, Oh my gosh, they got them. Bought some some myself there a while back. Are you looking for house plants like string of filling the blank or mother in law's tongue, sense of area or whatever. They have the gorgeous, gorgeous houseplants and so many water features, from little fountains, little small fountains that you put out there, to building a waterfall and a beautiful pond. I mean, they can do all of that and they can help you do it as well. At Nelson Watergardens dot com. They're in Katie on Katiefort Benroad. So if you're going out west on ten, just turn north on Katiefort Ben Road and it's just a little bit up on the right Nelsonwatergardens dot Com. Write that down. You'll want to use it if you're looking for an organic fortlizer that has a very high concentration of nitrogen in it. Nitrophos is put together something called Sweet Green and it is based on a molasses base which is hence the name sweet Grain. Also it smells sweet and basically it's an eleven percent nitrogen fertilizer that you put on your lawn. It is, it works. Bottom line, it gets in the soil. Whenever you add carbon sugars things like that to the soil, you're going to stimulate microbial activity. And microbial activity is very important if you want to have success with what you're growing it because it stimulates. It stimulates the plant microbes and plants they get along, they take care of each other. And where you're going to get Sweet Green Well RCW Nursery, that's a good place. Langham Creek Ace Hardware. How about Lake Hardware in Angleton on Flasco. There's actually too but actually both Lake Hardware is carrying nitropos a Lake Hardware. Clute on Dixie Drive has night Fuss products as well. I've talked about quality home products for a long time. Quality home products are important because they carry number one, the Generative automatic standby generator. But it's the service that makes quality different. They prioritize honesty and transparency with every client. They are a standout organization when it comes to reliability and integrity and the customer reviews show it over fourteen thousand and five star reviews. The awards, they keep building new shelves for the awards. I mean eight times they've won the Better Business Bureau Most Prestigious Customer Service Award. That tells you something, that's the kind of company you want. Houston Chronicle Best of the Best in the Home Contractor division twenty twenty three. This family owned operation has been around since nineteen eighty three. They do financing options. Here's the bottom line. Go to QUALITYTX dot com, QUALITYTX dot com, or just give them a call seven to one three quality seven one three quality. If you want a quality generator, like a generator automatic standby generator, they're the place to go, not just for the product, but for the service that no one can match in the whole area. Time for me to take a break. We'll be right back, all right, Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us, Good to have you with us. You know, Nelson Plant Food has so many products, it's like I don't know where to start talking about them. They've got their turf Star line, which right now, the two primary turf Star products that I want you to be aware of or Bruce Sprew, which is an immediate release that also has extend release. It's got some forms of nitrogen that don't just all release immediately. They'll they'll they'll spread out as soil microbes feed on the carbon based nitrogen sources in them. Then there's a weedinator. Weedenator is a product that you put down. You have to wet the lawn with the weed leaves, is what you're trying to do. Put that dry granular out just like you're fertilizing. It tends to stick to the wet weed leaves very well, and then leave it. I say a couple of days. Doesn't have to be that long, but leave it a couple of days. It soaks into the weed leaves and then water it and it moves down in the soil and you get all your nutrients down there where you want them to be. Weed Nator provides a good quick release, but it also provides forms of nitrogen that feed out for a good long time, and so it makes it a really nice fertilizer. You have options with Nelson Plant Food. They have many different options and the products work. I've used them myself, very very impressed with them. Nelson Plant Food easy to find all over the place here in the Greater Houston area. Let's go out to the phones. We're going to head to West Houston now and talk to Rick. Hello, Rick, welcome to garden Line. All right, did I not punch the right button? There we go? Hey, sorry, I got you now?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, my wife's considering buying some linten roses to replace some azalea as we have around the house.
Speaker 11: Do you recogn those?
Speaker 23: They do?
Speaker 6: Okay, they're a shade loving plant and they you know, they're not as showy as azalea's, but you just need to keep them moist, keep them in a very bright shade because they do need they need light intensity. I mean they need what am I saying? They need some foot candles on them, But they don't need direct sun baking down on them.
Speaker 11: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: Okay, And I would I would feed them. I would feed them with something for acid loving plants. I think they'll do a little better with that.
Speaker 14: Okay, Well, I mean, would you consider azaleas to be better?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's two different kinds of plants. It's kind of like as an apple or an orange better, I would say, you know, azaleas as a shrub. As long as you have an acidic soil that's well drained and kept moist Azalias are gorgeous. They're beautiful. Most az alias are spring bloomers. Now we have the kind that repeat some. I don't know which I like better, the regular spring bloomers they put on a bigger show, or the ones that repeat, you know, through the season, but either way is good. You know, there's just so many plant options, Rick that it's hard to say this one is the one the one to plant. Yeah, okay, but they require more water than not more. They just need consistent soul moisture. But azilias need that too. They just have a need to not go into drought, is what you're trying to avoid. Okay, alrighty, all right, thank you, well, yes, sir, good luck. Thank you for the call. I appreciate that.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 6: If you are looking for compost, top dressing and core aeration of your lawn, which those two combined are just a shot in the arm for a lawn. They breathe life into the soil because basically you're pulling plugs out of the soil dropping them on the surface. That's a core aeration, and you're doing it in a way that stimulates roots keeps those holes open for a little longer. That's the compost. Stop dressing falls down in the holes, as does fertilizer too. By the way, it helps soil soak up moisture better because you got those little holes in the ground. And the folks at green Pro are experts and providing it. They do correation and they do compost stop dressing. It feeds the soil biology. Again, it just has so many benefits. So if your soil or if your lawn is struggling from recovery in terms of you know, brown patches real thereof on it, takeoff patch, maybe chinch bugs, those kind of issues. It does. If you've got a thatch layer, corretion is the best way to break down thatch faster. It really does, and it increases the turfs rooting depth. So when you go into hot weather, you want a good, deep rooted, resilient grass plant in corporation does that now. Greenpro serves an area about forty five miles from Magnolia. The easy way to just put it is Interstate forty five to een the northwest QUANDRN of Houston. Interstate forty five to iten. That's roughly it. But basically forty five miles from Magnolia, Greenprotexas dot com greenpro Texas dot Com eight three to two, three five to one zero zero three to two. Let's see here. We are going to go now to uh Rick, I believe, Hey Rick, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 18: Yes, sir, I'll be real quick.
Speaker 13: All I want to ask is what is what fertilizer? What bag fertilizer.
Speaker 6: It's the closest that I.
Speaker 13: Can get that will match that ballnyard fertilizer that they they use up at the modern Riie mushroom plant. It's about three four so the white of Dallas. But that that barnyard stuff. It grows huge tamato plants.
Speaker 6: But uh yeah, yeah. So basically the I don't know the nutrient content on Monterey mushroom. I know what you're talking about. I've used it. Uh But you're getting not just the nutrient out of that. You're that's like having compost and fertilizer put together. So there's a lot of biological activity. There's the benefits of the organic matter in it, and then there's the nutrient content. So if you wanted to achieve that what you would do is get you a high quality compost and then put a quality fertilizer. You said for vegetables, is what you want to use it for tamato plants? Yes, sir, Yeah, so I would get you know, they're the folks that know some plant food. Have something. It's a vegetable. Fertilizer comes in jars. You could use that. I'll tell you this. I have also used lawn fertilizer in my vegetable garden. That that is fine. You can do that and then a good high quality compost. Mix it in probably if your soil is in decent shape. I'd put about an inch a compost each time I do a spring, and then again in a vegetable I mean a fault transition. Mix it in the ground about an inch at a time. But then with that fertilizer, you should be you should be good to go. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Sure that okay, Well, anyway, thank you very much for your information.
Speaker 6: Thank you all right, thank you for the call. I appreciate that, Rick, and good luck with that. RCW nursery is what I call it, get it, got it nursery meaning even if they don't have something, they probably can get it, They do their best to find it and they're just a full service place.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: That nursery opened up in nineteen seventy nine. Williamson family still runs RCW Nursery. It's the garden center there where Tambo Parkway Highway two forty nine comes into belt Way eight Northwest Houston. Easy to get to the website RCW Nurseries dot com. R CW Nurseries dot com. When you go to RCW Nursery, you're gonna get expert advice, expert advice. You're gonna find a wonderful selection of plants. I'm talking about pretty much anything that you are looking to plant, you're gonna find there. You hear me talk about fertilizers like microlife and others. They carry that there at RCW. You should go see their bougainvillia trees right now and the bougainvillia columns. I don't know how to tell you. Then just go look at them. They are stunning, gorgeous braided boogmvella stems up into a tree shape. Oh my gosh, then take your breath away. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. They even have bluebonnet transplants there at RCW Nursery and then right now, you know, early well late winter early spring is the deciduous magnolia season, and they have an excellent selection of decidious nose, like the variety Jane that is so popular. It's one of the most popular ones here in the Houston area, and you'll find it at RCW Nursery. We're going to head out now to Richmond and talk to Paul. Oh, Paul, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Hey skip, Yeah, I got a big oak tree.
Speaker 30: It's probably maybe forty years old, maybe older. In the bark, the bark is splitting, like kind of chunks of bark are falling off.
Speaker 6: Okay, so they're actually coming off when you look underneath where they fell off. Are you seeing more bark? Are you seeing the interior wood of the oak tree?
Speaker 30: Let me, I'm out here right now, Okay, so I'm looking at the tree. It's yeah, the bark is definitely splitting on some of the bigger limbs, and I can see underneath that is I guess what you're calling the interior part of the oak tree.
Speaker 14: Yes, I don't have any on the ground and throw them.
Speaker 6: Okay, So if you were to go up that tree, and hug. If you go up that tree and hug the trunk trunk, could you touch your fingers on the other side or is.
Speaker 30: It bigger than that?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 30: I could, no, I could, yes, I could do that there, okay, where it's splitting, yeah, where it's splitting, I could do.
Speaker 6: That, yes, yeah, all right. And last last question is is it a live oak?
Speaker 30: Yes, sir, yes, sir?
Speaker 6: Okay, all right. So live oaks, as they get older can develop some really extra long, you know, sections of bark coming out. You know how barks naturally splits as it goes out, just part of the natural splitting, and sometimes those will fall off if you're seeing the wood underneath. That sounds like coal damage to me. Uh, you know, the only two things that knock the bark off are coal damage, which kills the tissues, and then a lightning strike you know, can do that same thing. Took from an older tree like that, you usually don't see the cold damage on a live oak. So I'm a little wondering about that. I know that that can do that to a tree. I'm just not sure you've had the cold that would have done it. The only other thing I would suggest, take me some pictures. Send them in, let me look at them and see. But those are the two things that will cause that to split. Now, there's one other disease called hypoxylan canker, but in that you wouldn't describe it as splitting. You'd be talking about whole sections of bark sloughing off, you know, bigger, whiter than your hand, where the whole section sluffs off, and then underneath it you see kind of an olive to ten dusty brown colored, dusty material underneath it. That's a disease thing.
Speaker 30: Okay, Actually, actually what you're describing is, yes, I can see that coloration that you just described in one of the parts of the tree I'm looking at right now, all.
Speaker 6: Right, So that's a stress related disease. I think it's weak. The disease moves in, it's out in nature, it's everywhere. It's not like it's showed up somewhere and then you cannot spray for it. Strengthening the tree is the best thing you can do, and in the future, avoiding stresses is the best thing you can do. If you I need to put a publication on my website for that. But in the meantime, if you want to learn more about it. It's hypoxylon h y p O x A l O N kinker no control for it. Avoid the stress is all that's in your power. That's one where they're just not a solution other than avoid minimize stress.
Speaker 30: Okay, one last question, all right, sir, would he gets so bad that I had to cut the branches off or no?
Speaker 6: Well, if they die, they have to come off. And it does kill branches, so as long as they're not dead, just leave it, leave it be and that's that's it, all right, Paul, Good luck, sir.
Speaker 5: Day.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, you bet you bet Hey. Nature's Way Resources is having their big shinnedig. You need to go to the website Nature's Way Resources dot com. Nature's Way Resources dot com. This spring Fling is on the twenty second of March from eight to two pm. You gotta go see it and take your truck out there because you're going to bring home a lot of quality products from Nature's Way. They've got lots of them there and this spring fling is fun. I'll be right back. Welcome back to your guard line. Good to hevy with us today. Hey, night to fuss. Imperial is the Orange Red bag. It's reddish orange or orangish red if you want to look at it. It's a fifteen to five to ten fertilizer that gets the nutrients out right away. You put it down, you wet it well and the nutrients are released for your plant. And we use it for the early greenup. You want to do an early greenup on your lawn, and I've got that on my schedule. It's an optional application we make in the spring. Nitrofoss Imperial fifteen five to ten works excellent for that. It also is widely available. You're going to find it all over the area, the Houston, the Greater Houston area. Actually they got a plantation Ace Hardware out there in Richmond Rosenberg. You're going to find it at Langham Creek Ace Hardware up in Cyprus on five twenty nine. By the way, they just revamped that story. You go check it out. You're going to find it at RCW Nursery. We were just talking about them a minute ago. It's easy to find in our area and you're going to find it at D and D Feed up in the Tombol area. Nitrofoss Imperial fifteen five to ten. Your early spring green up fertilizer that really really works. Let's head out to Richmond Rosenberg. We're going to talk to Mark. Hey, Mark, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: Hello is this Mark?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry I went to Cian and Conro. I pushed the wrong button. Well, welcome to garden Line for you, Mark, we'll come to you next.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Yeah, I was going to call this company that you're just talking about to do the plugging in the yard. I'm out at thirteen fourteen and one oh five. I don't know if they'll come that far. But and I got some post emergent for the lawn because I bought this house new, and you know what they do to the yards there. So I was wondering if I should do the post emergent before I have them come out, or how should I do that?
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter a lot, but I would go ahead and do it because you're not going to come out tomorrow probably. I doubt they're you know, coming there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so go ahead.
Speaker 6: It's very important to get those weeds shut down. Okay, not the post emerger.
Speaker 3: Does that need to be watered in? It doesn't say on the package.
Speaker 6: Are we talking about a spray or are we talking about a granular fertilizer plus.
Speaker 3: Post emergin granule.
Speaker 6: Huh? Okay, okay, here's what you do. You wet the lawn just enough to get the leaves wet. You're not really watering, you're just wetting the leaves. Put the product out immediately while the leaves are wet. It sticks to the leaves. Wait a day or two and then water it in. But give it some time to soak into those leaves before you turn the water on, and then you'll be ready to go. And then whenever the errators can come out, I think you're probably talking about Green Pro and just give them a call and see if they if they'll serve that area. You know, I don't have a map in front of me, but about forty five minutes from Magnolia, they'll serve that area.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, thank you so much. I love your show.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, thanks for listening. I appreciate that very much. Well, we do all right here, find the right buttons that I need. Ace Hardware stores are going to carry all these products we talk about. You hear me talk about them all the time. Ace Hardware. There's a new website I'm telling you about, and it's ACE Hardwaretexas dot Com. You know I've always sent you to the store locator. ACE Hardware Texas dot Com is those that group of ACE Hardware stores here in the Greater Houston area that we talk about on Guardline all the time. And you're gonna find at your local ACE Hardware store the fertilizers you hear me talk about, the products the control weeds that you hear me talk about. You're going to find the products for insects and diseases. You're gonna find tools. You're gonna find everything you need to turn your outdoor area into a beautiful and bountiful place. That's Ace Hardware. You're also going to find the things that make it more fun to be outside, like beautifying your patio with lighting, like a barbecue Oh my gosh, Big Green Egg, Treger, Weber, all these great brands of barbecue pits that they have. Uh well, I mean I think I just hang out outside all the time and eat, eat, eat the barbecue. I love cooking out. They've got you covered there and all the supplies you need for barbecue.
Speaker 18: Two.
Speaker 6: By the way, all the you know there are any thing you get into, there's lots of tools and cool things. Well, go to Ace Harder and you'll find that it's the kind of place where you go for your spring cleaning, to get all the supplies, the shelving, the bins to store things, the cleaning supplies. You want to reseal your deck, Maybe it's always a good idea to do that. Ace Hardwar's got you covered. You need paint, Oh my gosh, they got paint, just all kinds of quality paints. It's spring, It's time to go to Ace Hardware. Ace is the place right and you're going to find Ace Hardware's all over the Greater Houston area. Let me just give you a few. For example, there's Port Levaka Ace, Port Levaca Ace, if you ever been down there, those of you in Port Levaca, there is the Chambers Ace Hardware and Galveston Deer Park Lumber East of Pasadena, the Ace Hardware and Champions Forest. There's a Langham Creek ACE in Copperfield. On five twenty nine. I was just talking about that one memorial Ace Hardware Store, Plantation Ace Hardware Store. These are all examples of the many Ace Hardware's here in our area. Let's tet out to Richmond now and talk to Mark. Sorry about the false alarm a minute ago.
Speaker 5: There, Mark, no problem. The first question is easy and short. Probably if you got trees about six eight inches in diameter when we're the rot off quicker if you cut it about two foot above the ground, or if you cut it the right off a couple of inches above the ground.
Speaker 6: The fastest rot occurs where it contacts the soil. Microbes can get a hold of it, and it stays moist So if you cut it as low as you can, and if you pile soil or compost over the top of it just so it's you know, like burying a two by four, right, it's going to rot really fast compared to sitting up where it's going to dry out and not not have that moisture and microbe exposure.
Speaker 5: Okay, now this one is kind of more difficult. I've got about a two hundred foot row of whiteleaf of custrooms at about twenty five years old, and they're scraggly and woody and have died. I want to get rid of them. One guy says he's going to cut him off about an inch above the ground or so and I could stump ground him off level below the ground if I want it. And the other question is would it be better if you just pull them up? Wait till it was kind of wet, and pulled them up. He thought of you try to pull him up, you're going to have roots pulling up the soil around it, making.
Speaker 9: A bigger mess.
Speaker 5: And he thinks it's easy to cut him off and either leave him or stump ground him if you want.
Speaker 6: We can either way. I've I've attached a shrub or too to pick up bumper in my time, and that's an option. But if you cut him off, what you want to do, I probably would leave a little bit of a stump because you're going to probably want to dig that stump out or pull the stump out after the plant dies. But you cut him off and you treat the cut surface with a product containing trichlope. Here. Now, if you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com, Gardening with Skip, that's me gardening with Skip dot com. There's a publication called Controlling Woody Weeds. It's free and you take tricle piers straight out of the bottle. It comes in many brands. The brands are listed on this publication. And you take a little pham brush with a little wooden handle like you see at the hardware store, and you you just dab it right on that fresh cut. I don't mean six hours later. I mean you make the cut. You dab the cut. You make a cut, You dab the cut, and it goes right down in and it kills that kills that plant. And then when it's dead, if you leave it long enough, if you can just kick it and it'll it's already rotted and it'll just knock it, knock it out of the soil, or you can you can grab something to it and pull on it, or you can grub it up or whatever you want. But tricle Peer is the product to use for that. And you don't need to spray it. You just want to dab it on the freshly cut surface.
Speaker 5: So how about four buzz the grab? Would you cut that stumping?
Speaker 9: Three? Two?
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter how far. It doesn't matter how far in terms of the triclopair working. What it would matter is if later you're gonna want to attach something to it to pull on it and drag it out of there, then you'd need something to attach to. That's the only thing that matters in the case of what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Now, okay, so right, you're buffy, eat your ground forgetting it. Just as long as you can brow over it as good enough.
Speaker 6: That's it. You got it, man, Thanks sir, have fun, all right, take care you bet all right? He was time for me to take a break. I'll be right back with the last segment. Uh seven one three two one two kt r H. If you'd like to ask a question, I'm all right, folks, we're in the last segment of the day. Be back tomorrow morning six am to ten am for your gardening questions. Have you been to Growers Outlet? I'm timeing to those of you up in the Lake Conroe, Conroe Woodlands. Let's see New Waverley Porter all up in that direction up there. Growers Outlet is in Willis and it is on Highway seventy five, just a little south of Willis, just minutes really away from Interstate forty five. They're an excellent new garden center, I say new. They's revamped. You see the place. It really looks good. They carry the fertilizers. You hear me talk about like Microlife, night Fross and Medina. For example, they have a super supply plant right now. They just got into a bunch of fruit trees. They've got nice selection of shrubs and general landscape trees, veggies and bedding plants. And you can go online, and you need to write this down. Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. That's the website you can go. I think every Wednesday they update their vegetable stock and most garden centers do not do that. You can go online. You can look at product availability and pricing right there online. You can purchase it online for picking it up going by and picking it up later if you want to go that route. They have got gorgeous baskets and when it comes to spring color, you know, geraniums of urbanas and many other things. They grow a lot of their own stuff in house. Have a nice gift shop, locally sourced honey and pickled food and jellies and jams and bath and beauty products, all of that truly nice. You can follow them on Facebook Growers Outlet. So here's the website. Growers Outlet in Willis. Go check it out. You have got to see their baskets, beautiful hanging baskets. And as with weather's warming up, they're getting some gorgeous ferns in. I need to post a picture of meat stand beside one of their mato ferns.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 6: Is bigger than my arms reaching out is a huge monster. Beautiful growers Outlet let's head out to Cyprus and we're going to talk now to Kurt. Hello, Kurk, Welcome to garden Line. Hey, good morning.
Speaker 11: How's it going.
Speaker 6: I'm doing good, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 23: I've got in my mainly in my backyard, all these little white flowers coming up. It's a weed, but it's got Uh there's a there's kind of a long green stem and then probably four or five white flowers coming off of the stem and they've got you know, white petals on them, and uh like a yellow yellow center.
Speaker 6: Hey, no, that's about for you to know what they are if I need to send you a picture. You know, I thought I thought I knew where you're Yeah, I thought I knew where you're going, and then the yellow center kind of threw me. Let's do this. I don't want to guess and be wrong. I'm going to put you on hold here and uh, my producer will give you an email. Send me a picture of it. Get up close, good sharp focus, Send me a picture. I want to see the leaves, the flowers, and I'll be able to tell you what to do. Having said that it's going to be a broad leaf weed, and being a broad leaf weed, a post emergent broad leaf weed control product will work. And you hear me talk about this. There are products, you know. If you just have a few here and there of these weeds, you can just mix up a liquid and spray spot spray them. If you've got them in a pretty large area, you can put out a fertilizer that has the post emergent in it as well, if you want to go that route. But however you want to go about it, and the long term, your goal is to build a denser, healthier lawn and choke those things out. But in the short term, a post emergent product for broad leaf weeds is what you're going to want to do.
Speaker 14: Okay, I'll go to a sardware and get some in.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. Yeah, yeah, they'll have it there. You got several aces in your area? Are you? Are you north or south? Of two ninety.
Speaker 3: North.
Speaker 6: Did you know I'm I go to the one at Grant, Grant and Ludda. Okay, okay, well, uh they'll they'll go to get you fixed up post emergent broad leaf weed control. That's what you need to tell them, killing existing broad leaf weeds. But send me that picture. Just let's make sure we're right. I'd hate two weeks. I'd hate for you to waste your time and money. Uh if I didn't guess right without seeing the picture. Okay, all right, sounds good.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm gonna I'm gonna put you on hole right here and uh, Jonathan will pick up. All right. Well, wow, time flew today. I just want to talk again. I'm gonna be out at Horges Hidden Gardens and I'll be there from one o'clock to three o'clock today, so it's later than normal my appearances. I'm not gonna be back down this far south, at least this spring. For as I'm looking at the calendar here, it's gonna be a gonna be a good while for I head back that way again that far. So I hope you'll come out. When you're out there, you will find that he's got everything that you can imagine when it comes to trees and trees and shrubs and fruit and vegetables and herbs and all kinds of things, beautiful, beautiful plants. I'm gonna do some demonstration when I'm out there. I'm gonna talk about how to plant a shrub or tree properly. I'm not gonna dig the hole. I'm just gonna take it on the pot and show you and talk about the proper way to plant a tree or shrub to have success. And how far apart do you plant trees and shrubs? We get that question a lot. I'll talk about that. So there'll be some visiting with you, certainly diagnosing and identifying plants and problems that you might have. Bring bring samples in a bag, bring pictures on your phone. Let's spend some time and talk about it. I just love to meet you, those of you down in that area. I you know, it didn't get much closer than this, So all of you in Alvin and Santa Fe and Danbury and really down Tiki Island as far as that is too far to come Angleton see folks done in Friendswood, Iowa Colony and Sienna. All that direction not too far to Jorges Hidden Gardens in Another address is on Elizabeth Street in Alvin. But I'll tell you this. What you're gonna do is you're gonna go to Alvin and then you're gonna head on down Highway six towards Santa Fe about halfway and turn south to get to Elizabeth Street, which is an Alvin address. All right, I hope you can make it out there. Look forward to visiting with you. Oh, for those of you who are vegetable gardeners, Arborgate Garden Center is having a class on Wednesday This Wednesday, March twelfth, at ten am. The cost is ten dollars per person and it's vegetable gardening made simple. And whenever Arburgate puts on a program, it's always a good one. It's always a good one. You can give them a call to reserve your spot because there's only forty people allowed in this class. That's what the space allows. So one three, five, one eighty eight fifty one. I'm gonna give you a second to find that pen you're supposed to be keeping with you when you're listening to garden Line. Arbigate is on FM twenty nine to twenty west of Tomball. Okay, here's the number two eight one three five one eighty eight fifty one two eight one three five one eighty eight fifty one. So only forty people and it's gonna be a good one. They got a good speaker and knows what they're talking about. And by the way, you'll be right there at Arburgate. You can grab all the supplies you need, including some really cool vegetables that they have on hand. Well, I had a thousand things I was going to talk about today, and you guys gave me a thousand calls, and so we're gonna we talked about what you wanted to talk about. I'll try that again on tomorrow. But there's plenty to do. Just remember we are in the big middle of the best planting season of the year. I mean it just well, the fall is good too, but when it comes to spring, summer is coming. The sooner you plan something, the better success you're going to have it. Everybody wants to have success, right, I mean, that's the reason we get out there in garden, not to try and fail, but to try and succeed. And oh my goodness, what a week and now today, potential for a little bit of rain as we go through the morning time and in the early afternoon. Uh Sunday tomorrow, fifty eight degrees drops down to thirty eight in some parts the northern parts of the listing area. Not so much for you further south. But then here we go. Look at the week Monday in the mid seventies to upper seventies. Same with Tuesday, even up into the eighties. And then Wednesday, another degree and another day in the low eighties. Little bit attention rain, not much Thursday in the eighties. It is perfect weather. It is perfect weather. Don't delay, especially if you're putting out a pre emergent herbicide. Remember it's like baseball. If you wait until the catcher's already got the ball, it's a little late to start swinging. So get that pre murder out as soon as you can, and get out there and have fun. Brown stuff before green stuff, fix your soil. Go to one of our great garden centers I talk about on guardline. Gets you some good plants and have fun. Gardening is supposed to be fun. It is fun. Got questions about plants? Give me a call on garden Line. In the meantime, I think about eight hundred times today. I referred to my website where I put on stuff that helps answer questions, that helps you. So I just go straight there. Gardening with skip dot com, gardening with skip dot com, bookmark that thing, book market. So you got it there, You're ready to go. Makes it simple. All right, Well, I gotta run. I'm back to head down to Jorges Hiding Gardens in Alvin from one to three. Hope to see you there