Speaker 1: You, like I mentioned with with base X, you give a lot of people hope, and a lot of people look up to you. Millions if people look up to you. If we think about young people in high school, maybe in college, what advice would you give to them about if they want to try to do something big in this world, they want to really have a big positive impact, what advice would you give them about their career maybe about life in general?
Speaker 2: Try to be useful. You do things that are useful to your fellow human beings, to the world. It's very hard to be useful, very hard. You know. Are you contributing more than you consume? You know, like like can you try to have a positive net contribution to society? I think that's the thing to aim for, you know, not to try to be sort of a leader for just for the sake of being a leader or whatever. A lot of time, people who a lot of times the people you want as leaders are the people who don't want to be leaders. So if you live a useful life, that is a good life, a life worth having lived, you know, And like I said, I would, I would I would encourage people to use the mental tools of physics and apply them broadly in life. There are the best tools.
Speaker 1: When you think about education and self education, what do you recommend? So there's the university, there is self study. There is hands on sort of finding a company or a place or a set of people that do the thing you're passionate about and joining them as early as possible. There's a taking a road trip across Europe for a few years and writing some poetry. Which which which trajectory do you suggest in terms of learning about how you can become useful as you mentioned how you can have the most positive impact.
Speaker 2: But I'd encourage people to read a lot of books. Just read like I mean, basically try to ingest as much information as you can and try to also just develop a good general knowledge so you at least have like a rough lay of the land of the knowledge landscape, Like try to learn a little bit about a lot of things, because you might not know what you're really interested How would you know what you're really interested in if you at least aren't like doing it? Peripheral exploration a broadly of the knowledge landscape, and you talk to people from different walks of life and different industries and professions and skills and occupations like just try you learn as much as possible. Man search for meaning.
Speaker 1: Isn't the whole thing a search for meaning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the meaning of life and all? You know, But just generally, like I said, I I would encourage people to read broadly in many different subject areas and and and then try to find something where there's an overlap of your talents and what you're interested in. So people may may be good at something, but or they may have skill at a particular thing, but they don't like doing it. So you want to try to find a thing where you you're that's a good a good combination of of your of the things that you're inherently good at but you also like doing. And reading is a super fast shortcut to figure out which where are you both good at it.
Speaker 1: You like doing it, and it will actually have positive impact.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to learn about things somehow, so reading a broad range, it's just really read it. You know. One point is that kid, I read through the encyclopedia, so that's pretty helpful. And there also things I haven't even know existed a lot. Obviously, it's like as broad as it gets. Encyclopaedias were digestible I think, you know whatever forty years ago. So you know, let me read through the condensed version of the Encyclopedia Britannica. I'd recommend that you can always like skip subjects, or you read a few paragraphs and you know you're not interested, just jump to the next one. So read the encyclopedia or scan ski skim through it. And but you know, put a lot of stock and certainly have a lot of respect for someone who puts in an honest day's work to do useful things, and and just generally to have like a not a zero sum mindset or like have have more of a grow the pie mindset, like the if if you sort of say, like when when we see people like have some including some very smart people, kind of taking an attitude of like like like doing things that seem like morally questionable, it's often because they have at a base sort of axiomatic level, a zero sum mindset, and and they without realizing it, they don't realize they have a zero S mindset, or at least they don't realize it consciously. And so if you have zero some mindset, then the only way to get ahead is by taking things from other If It's like if if the if the pie is fixed, then the only way to have more pie is to take someone else's pie. But but this is false, Like obviously the pie has grown dramatically over time, the economic pie, so the real in reality you can have the overuser this analogy, we have a lot of you can there's a lot of pie. Pie is not fixed, So you really want to make sure you're not You're not operating without realizing it from a zero sum mindset where where the only way to get ahead is to take things from others, then that's going to result and you take trying to take things from others, which is not not good. It's much better to work on adding to the economic pie.
Speaker 1: Maybe you know, so.
Speaker 2: Quit creating. Like I said, great, creating more than you can sume, doing more than you Yeah, so that's that's a big deal. I think there's you know a fair number of people in in finance that I do have a bit of a zeros mindset.