Speaker 1: Name Eddie Lacler, Prison number three three four seven six dash four age twenty four charge grand lastly first degree.
Speaker 2: Chilled sentence being served five to ten years.
Speaker 1: I have served out three years and four months and now I am up for parole.
Speaker 3: To night again. Another in the exciting new crime series Up or Parole Authentic Cases is actually presented to the parole boards in your state prisons and re enacted here for the first time.
Speaker 4: Now, Bob hit during the next half hour, you will sit in judgment on the freedom of another human being. You will be asked to judge whether that person shall become your neighbor, your employee, perhaps your friend, or whether he might remain where you society have put him behind prison bars. Well, that human being is a criminal now up for parole. The story you're about to hear is taken from the official records of Eddie Lachlan, Prison number three three four seven six dashboard up for parole.
Speaker 2: Lachlan, having served such portion of your sentence, you're entitled now to tell this board your story, that is, the facts.
Speaker 5: Bearing upon your crime.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, yes, sir, oh, much like star say, well.
Speaker 5: We have the facts of your case. The official records before us here. Is there anything you'd like.
Speaker 2: To tell us about yourself? I know what you mean, But for instance, how have you made out in jail?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 6: I'm doing my work, mine of my own business.
Speaker 5: What kind of work have they had you doing?
Speaker 6: Repair shop? I was always interested in radio. That's kind of why I'm here in the first place.
Speaker 5: That's interesting our record show.
Speaker 2: You got yourself involved with a very wealthy woman. But I suppose that'll come out in due time. Now, you said that you were always interested in radio work.
Speaker 5: What do you mean always?
Speaker 6: Well, since I was a kid, it was radio, radio, radio. I was always looking at things I couldn't have, Always walking around the streets with my girl, both of us looking in store when there's things being.
Speaker 7: Fifty five dollars for a radio amplifier.
Speaker 8: That's a lot of money off.
Speaker 6: I could get the parts, cappy, I could make it for half.
Speaker 8: Now, Now you take a thing like that modulation and come on, all do you think of is radio?
Speaker 6: Sure? Sure, look at that stuff. Vote on me. This power transform ust crystal control transmitters. But you gotta have dough. You gotta have dough. Come on, Eddie, quit dreaming, quick dreaming. Listen Kathy, listen, one of these days, I'm gonna have that stuff. Stuff. I want you too, dress as you want for a cold stuff like that, you're gonna get him.
Speaker 8: Aldy, don't talk food.
Speaker 6: You'll see you'll get it because I'm gonna get dough. Oh I don't know, but I'm gonna have it. We're gonna get what we want and not just have to press our nose against that glass in the window like I was Christmas candy. Either we'll see. Ah, come on, let's go home, all right, buster subway, buss or subway on what we walk? I come home that night or one night like that, I don't know. Back to the tenement. I was anxious to get back to my own radio works in your home, all flat, two rooms. My mouth was a scrubble with my kid's sister was sick all the time. So I built her a little receiver so she get music and stories and all that, you know. Besides that, I had a little ten transmitter. I come to the house and there was fire wagons pulling away water in a gutter, rotten smoky smell in all way. Come upstairs. It's a matter of, uh, what happened? Well, what's about this fire. I listen to me, what happened? There was a fire in the center. Now to start your radio?
Speaker 8: Stuff made a short circuits, says superintendent.
Speaker 6: He's crazy, the old jack. What are you crying for?
Speaker 7: What he do?
Speaker 6: What did he do?
Speaker 9: Nothing?
Speaker 7: Nothing?
Speaker 6: They're crying over nothing? What did he do? And we'd have to get out.
Speaker 8: And he was taken tired of your steing electricity.
Speaker 6: From the meeting for the radio. He wanted to bust up the radio, so he came in mad.
Speaker 8: I got his way, so he hit you. He just pushed to get.
Speaker 6: Through the lousy can't push us.
Speaker 7: Around, Eddie, and he come back, Eddie, come back.
Speaker 6: Like I said, I was tough kid. Well we had a little fuss, super amaze.
Speaker 5: So that's all.
Speaker 2: According to these records, it was enough to send you to the reformatory for two years. Superintendent was seriously hurt. He was in the hospital for six months.
Speaker 6: I just pushed him like he pushed my mife fell down the stairs.
Speaker 5: You were avenging your mother. He was on a sixty seven year old man.
Speaker 2: He went out looking for him, looking for Trump.
Speaker 6: He came looking for me, and he took it out of my mom.
Speaker 2: Just one more question. You said you had some radio equipment in the flatter radio for your sister and a transmitter.
Speaker 6: Ten what Crystal? I built them myself.
Speaker 5: Your family was very poor. Heard you get the parts?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, we don't know, Bugler, you can scrown, he said, kind of stuff from shop, stuff from second hand, teared down chobs. I got some of it from a friend of mine's uncle.
Speaker 5: Larry's uncle.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Larry's uncle know you took in. Now, all right, lovelan, let's go on. Now what happened when you got out of the reformatory.
Speaker 5: For the assault on the superintendent.
Speaker 6: I stood out a couple of months and then back in.
Speaker 5: Couldn't keep out of trouble.
Speaker 6: I I was just a.
Speaker 2: Young kid old that time, sixteen seventeen. Do you think you've learned anything this time, now that you're older. Ah, yes, sir.
Speaker 6: I had plenty of time to think and make my mind up to go straight. Honest.
Speaker 2: Well it's going Look when you got out of the reformatory the last time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kathy was waiting for me. I remember when I come out of the gate. I was sore. I walked right past. I wouldn't even talk to.
Speaker 7: Heny Heny hit me, Eddy, don't.
Speaker 6: You know me? Yes, I know you. I told you to come. It's a matter you had to trust me one minute to myself. Can't you even trust me to keep my nose clean the first day out of jail?
Speaker 7: Ah, already, don't be mad. I wanted to surprise you. I got news by Eddie, special reason to come up to tell you something.
Speaker 6: Eddie. It's gonna be all right, sure, sure, Now I got a swell record and old job. All right it is.
Speaker 7: You remember Larry's uncle, the one with the radio.
Speaker 6: Place, Larry Walker's uncle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, his uncle died, Eddie. And guess who's running the radio shop Larry.
Speaker 6: No, yes, Larry a radio shop. What does that guy know about radio? Oh?
Speaker 7: Honey, you're laughing already.
Speaker 6: I gotta see that you're gonna Eddie.
Speaker 7: That's what I came up to tell you. You're gonna work for Larry, and not because your old friends either. Larry wants you there, He needs you there. You see, somebody needs you besides me, honest, Eddie. From now on, it's gonna be all right.
Speaker 6: It was all right too. Larry didn't need me. I got told him. Guys he had before me were rooking him for plenty herpless stuff and filling them list prices. Larry right away he wanted me for a partner. He offered me a partnership for fifteen hundred dollars if I could raise the door. It was a start. I knew I could build it up. First. I made some testing panel, some FM stuff I started reading up on television. We really went for that stuff, Flarry and me.
Speaker 5: So you had plans to build up the radio.
Speaker 6: Shop, Yes, sir, because I wanted to marry Kathy. How does that fit in with this rich woman, this miss Bradley, Claire Bradley. Yes, what about her? Well, the whole thing was a mistake. It was a mistake right from the start. She even got our radio shop on the phone by mistake. She meant to call a regular shop, but she forgot the phone. She was calling for a repair man. I said to Larry, Larry, I said, I got a date with Kathy. I can't go. I'll fix it up for He says, go ahead, we can use a business all right. I said, I'll go. Where's the address, pop Terrast's Apartments, pop Terrace Boy.
Speaker 8: Radio Man, Oh, Yes, come right in, it's right over there.
Speaker 6: Thank god. Man the radio. Oh wow, it's a big piece of furniture.
Speaker 8: Well, it just went dead. I'd have sent it out, but I wanted to listen to the symphony, all.
Speaker 6: Right, put my kid right down here on the road, certainly, yeh, all right, Hey, what does job set? You think?
Speaker 8: Enough? Do you see?
Speaker 6: I like music, symphony stuff, and I don't go for that.
Speaker 8: I like them both as Beethoven. It's all music. There's a lot of classical music, you know.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, I know it takes time to get on to it. People like me, I guess we can't take the time, you know. Yeah, there's a trouble right here. That's if I have to turn that. Yeah. I like my music raw, you know, rhythm, low down like.
Speaker 8: That's very interesting, mister Lachlan.
Speaker 6: Lachlan, that's right. Hey, it's lucky. I had a note with me. All right, See how should behaves? Now? Get a lot of warm up. It was a volume control.
Speaker 8: I'd hear this one.
Speaker 9: M that'll be all right now, No time.
Speaker 8: That's more playing.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, sure it's too thin for my blood, ma'am. I like something you can whistle. Well, do you have any more trouble with it? Let us know so, so she tries to sell me classical musicf me. Imagine what was she like? Eddie? Are you jealous?
Speaker 9: Honey?
Speaker 6: I can remember the number of every tube in a radio, but I couldn't tell you the color of her eyes at a stack of bibles. You know, the kind of rich name, lives alone enough, don't live on without working.
Speaker 8: Nice home, the best, pretty close.
Speaker 6: Honey, honey, or happen someday lessen. You wouldn't want to be her? Nice house, sure close, jewelry, sure yes, sure there she said something a classy joint and what she got classical music? I forget it. Let's go get some chummy. So that's that. A week later, the phone again, Claire Bradley, the radios on the blink again? Can I come up and fix it? Well? Sure, but this time, Uh, the tubes don't even eat. The plug ain't even plugged in.
Speaker 8: I know, I pulled it out. What gifts I wanted to see you again?
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 8: Yes, oh no, I'll sit down in a minute.
Speaker 6: Well this doesn't figure.
Speaker 8: I don't know what you mean exactly about that expression, but you know you're a very interesting young man. Me interesting, Yes, I've never forgotten what you said about music raw, You said you liked it raw. Don't you see I've never known anyone who felt that way, thought that way, talk that way. You're different and I want to know you. Wouldn't you like to know me better?
Speaker 6: Oh? What is this?
Speaker 8: Somebody trying to make friends? That's all I know. It doesn't seem to make any sense. But sit down, let me try to explain the stay awhile I have a drink. Yeah, I could use one of those wonderful you take soda water. Mister, I don't even remember be your name.
Speaker 6: I'd take my leg a straight. The name is Eddie.
Speaker 3: We'll return to our file in just a moment, but first, Molly Goldberg's famous invitation to fun in the Bronx you who missus bloom Now echoes across the country each Saturday night on CBS. It's the same fine brand of comedy mixed with a tear now and then that's made Molly and her family, Jake, Sammy, Rosalie and the others favorites for many years. CBS invites you to hear the Goldbergs on most of these same CBS stations this Saturday and every Saturday. Back to the true story of Eddie Lachlan prison case number three three four seven six dash four The man who is up for parole.
Speaker 6: That's how it started. On an of the board. Claire Bradley just wanted the understand me. It's for me. Well, I had never known anything like that in my life. The Park Terris apartment, A rich girl.
Speaker 5: You enjoyed that.
Speaker 6: Oh, it was different than I'd ever known.
Speaker 5: You and miss Bradley were friends.
Speaker 6: Yes, she took me out concerts, nightclubs.
Speaker 5: Lachlan.
Speaker 2: We have a transcript of a statement for miss Bradley in which she says that there was no friendship between you. What she said, Oh no, sir, well never mind, never mind.
Speaker 5: We'll get back to that in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Though, you said before that you were a straight shooter with Kathy. Tell us how you reconcile that statement with what you told us about Miss Bradley.
Speaker 6: Yes, don't do a head in the shop with me, And Larry said he wanted to talk.
Speaker 4: I hope you know what you're doing it.
Speaker 6: Don't give me that look, Larry. I tell you I know where If you think you go evenings babysitting outside jobs, I tell her you're heading for trouble, trouble, what kind of trouble? I get tired of it. I'll brush the dame off things.
Speaker 4: Claire Bradley's no dame.
Speaker 5: They don't brush off.
Speaker 6: He's a look, you're making something out of nothing. Me and Kathy. It's still a real thing.
Speaker 5: For the brush off.
Speaker 6: When it comes, I'll be that and I get ready. Oh what about the shop aty? I still want you for a partner, But going to fancy concerts and shows with a witzy dame that ain't going to get you any fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: And what's more, you might lose Kathy.
Speaker 6: Eddie, who are you kidding?
Speaker 5: Who do you think you a kidd?
Speaker 6: Well? I was thinking of what Larry said, thinking about Kathy, and all of a sudden, on the way up the Claires, I got sore. I got soreed everybody. I was all mixed up. I felt rotten. Claire asked me what was wrong? Nothing, I said, tell me, She says no.
Speaker 8: I says, come on, Eddie, you can tell me you won't like it. Go ahead, Eddie, Well, it's it's the whole.
Speaker 6: Thing, the whole set up. You and me don't figure it's wrong? Why you know why come from the wrong side of town. I I don't belong up here with the bright lights and stow it from my blood. I want out, hey, please, Look, I'm gonna make it easier for you. You want and all. I've been hanging around for money, Yeah, money, I need it. I need a lumper though, to get started, to buy into a radio shop, to marry my girl. If you want to know where as I figured you were a mark and I got to know you, and now I Claire.
Speaker 8: I just gotta get out money. How much money is a lump of money?
Speaker 6: Why? What difference is? How much is it be in her a box?
Speaker 8: Why doesn't tell much? You haven't got much cash here? But if you won't go away, if you don't run away from me, Look here this racist, this ring. They're worth more than fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Take it.
Speaker 8: You can put it and then you go.
Speaker 6: I can't take it.
Speaker 8: You can pay it back when the shop's doing all right?
Speaker 6: Yeah I could. I could pay it back little by little. I can't make a deal like that. It ain't fair to you. How do you know I'll come back?
Speaker 8: I trust you?
Speaker 6: Take it?
Speaker 8: Eddie there, oh, Eddie, Eddie.
Speaker 2: And so that's your story. She gave you the jewels, Yes, you didn't steal them.
Speaker 5: No, so you intended to pay her back?
Speaker 6: Yes, I did, but you never did go back to see her. Oh I never told this before, but I did go back. She kept calling the store, driving me crazy, call and call, and why didn't I see you? Finally got so I was afraid she come over and Kathy find out. So I went over there. I went to the door, but I didn't go in. I just stood there when she opened it. Claire, I'm not coming in withdraw, So I watched them. As for the jewelry, I'll pay you back a little every week, the best I can ed.
Speaker 8: He don't make me big.
Speaker 6: It's all over.
Speaker 8: It's money. If you need more money, you.
Speaker 6: Can't buy me with doe by you.
Speaker 7: Why you're cheap.
Speaker 6: You're a cheap Oh I'm cheap.
Speaker 8: Now it comes out.
Speaker 7: I didn't need it.
Speaker 6: You cheap.
Speaker 8: You think there's nothing at the other end of a telephone but a cheap radio repair man, Well there is. They're insurance man.
Speaker 6: They're a police.
Speaker 8: Wouldn't I your last chance? Eddie?
Speaker 6: No, that's all.
Speaker 8: Sector Becker. Please, yes, yes, hello, Inspector This is Claire Bradley. Yes, I am. I'd like to report some of my jewels are missing. Yes, and the last time I saw them was when a radio repair man was here. Name is.
Speaker 5: And you still say she gave you the jewels?
Speaker 6: She gave them to me?
Speaker 5: Yes, but you pleaded guilty.
Speaker 6: Why was my word against hers? My my record against a woman with money? Besides, DA offered me a deal?
Speaker 5: What kind of a deal?
Speaker 6: Promise me? If I'd plead guilty, they'd they'd get me off light.
Speaker 5: So you pleaded guilty.
Speaker 6: Yes, I pleaded guilty, but you weren't.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, let's return to miss Bradley. Now you say Miss Bradley was in love with you. At least your story seems to be intended to make this board together.
Speaker 6: Then she she was, otherwise she wouldn't have given me the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yet we have a record, a transcript of her statement to the district attorney, which did not appear in the court proceedings. Since you pleaded guilty, but miss Bradley herself said, and I quote, I did not at any time offer to lend or give Lachlan any jewels or money. And his claim that there was any friendship between.
Speaker 8: Us is as preposterous as it is criminal. In the first place, I didn't call him back to fix my radio. He came to the door about a week after his first call and asked time my radio was working. Seemed like a very decent young man, so I let him in, primarily out of pity. There was never any attachment between mister Lachlan and myself, and he never accompanied me to any social affairs. Any friendship that did exist was purely on my part anyway, interest in his rather rough character and on his part. I'm convinced by experience, ply and simply for the purpose of robbing me.
Speaker 6: What do you say to that, Lachlan the dormant a police source, go out together. He could give you a statement too.
Speaker 2: We tried to obtain a statement from him, but he died more than a year ago. Ah, well, what have you got to say for yourself? Laughlin got a.
Speaker 6: Clear prison record. There's a job waiting for me in the outside, back in the radio shop that the Catherine read and is waiting for me outside too. Want to get married in start out all over again. That's all rockling.
Speaker 2: It's only fair to tell you one or two factors which have to enter into our decision.
Speaker 6: Yes, in the.
Speaker 2: First place, you said it was your word against Miss Bradley's. Against your word was not only Miss Bradley's statement, but your school record, your reform school history, the fact that you yourself here could not explain where you obtained your radio material.
Speaker 5: You follow me luck.
Speaker 2: Yes, then there was your attack on the superintendent, and besides that, your own lack of personal responsibility toward the girl who loved you. Yes, this board doesn't concern itself too much with these circumstances surrounding the crime as you related. It may be true that Miss Bradley did give you the jewels, but we have no way of judging the.
Speaker 5: Truth or falsity of your story.
Speaker 2: We can say, however, that your mother has told us that you were and that you are a good son, and Miss Reardon has complete faith in you.
Speaker 5: Do you know that?
Speaker 6: I know that, sir.
Speaker 2: But you must not forget that you have a sick, uncontrollable temper, which, under stress of circumstance, makes you unable to handle yourself carefully or even normally.
Speaker 5: Do you know that about yourself?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 5: All right, Lachland, the Board will make its decision. Step outside with the guard.
Speaker 4: While Eddie Lochland waits and the parole board reviews his story and his parole file. You too have a decision to make on his case. Way Eddie Lochland's story. Carefully you form your judgment, because in a moment you will have an opportunity to compare your decision with that of the actual board before which he appeared.
Speaker 3: This Saturday night, CBS's Gangbuster's program mixes a chocolate malted, a singing bug, and a desperate gun battle for one of its most exciting stories. This gang Buster's story has been taken straight from the Detroit Police files and will be narrated by the Chief of Detectives of the Detroit Police. You're cordially invited to hear this real life anti crime tale, the case of the Reluctant Wheeler when Gangbusters is heard on most of these same CBS stations this Saturday night. Now the decision of the Parole Board in the case of Eddie Lachlan prison number three, three, four, seven, six dash four. The man who is up for parole.
Speaker 2: Edward Lachlan, Stand up, yes, sir, This board has reached a decision in your case. Edward Locklin, Sir, mindful of your past resistance to normal ways of society, this board now feels that if you are placed in continuous custody of the proper person, you will strongly benefit. Our decision therefore is for old granted.
Speaker 5: You may go.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 5: O'lcklan.
Speaker 2: Yes, don't take this wrong. But up to now the best thing about you has been your your best friends, your mother, your girl, your friend Larry. They're waiting outside. Don't let them down again.
Speaker 6: I I I won't never. Good luck.
Speaker 5: X case.
Speaker 4: Eddie Lachlan may now be your neighbor, your employee, your friend. He and Kathy are happily married. They have two children, both girls, and Eddie is responsibly employed by a large radio manufacturing concern. The true story of Eddie Laughlin has been told tonight in the interest of thousands of men and women in American prisons who may someday come up or Parole.
Speaker 3: You have been listening to Up or Parole with James McAllion as Eddie Lochlan, written by Alan Sloan, produced and directed by Mitchell Grayson, research by Wally Good. Music was under the direction of Harry Salter again at the same time next week, when CBS will bring you the actual story of case number seventy five five Dash Too, the Cleveland peacock up for parole. This is CBS. Will you meet Gene Autry Every Saturday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System