Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Wendy chillis Sonny, It's only twenty three degrees in downtown Boston. Eleven o'clock this Tuesday morning, Good Morning on Laurie Kirby. Karen Read is back in Norfolk Superior Court in debt, a month before her second murder trial is set to begin, and Judge Beverly Cononi is considering whether or not to allow testimony from defense witness doctor Marie Russell in April's retrial. Doctor Russell argues that former Boston police officer John O'Keefe was attacked by a dog and not hit by Reed's SUV, but the prosecution argues she's not qualified to make that call.
Speaker 3: You've never gone into court and testified as an accident reconstruction expert, a reconstruction expert.
Speaker 2: No, but I've testified about vehicle accidents.
Speaker 3: You've never gone to court and testified as a dog by before this case. Yes, I was never asked.
Speaker 2: Read is charged with running over O'Keefe with her SUV in leaving him to die in the snow after their romantic relationship had soured. Now her first murder trial ended in a mistrial. We are your breaking news station. When we have any kind of update on this story, we'll bring it to you here and of course streaming on the iHeartRadio app. Prison elect Donald Trump's legal team is trying to stop the release of the Special Council Report into the election interference and classified documents cases ABC Stephen Portnoy report.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump's defense lawyers, also now his nominees to hold major posts in the Justice Department, say they've reviewed a draft of Jack Smith's final report at his office here in Washington. They call it one sided, and they say releasing it to the public would harm the transition and damage the Justice Department's reputation. They're urging Attorney General Merrick Garland to keep it confidential. Trump's co defendants and the Classified Documents case want Judge Ailean Cannon to order it blocked. In a court filing, Jacksmith confirms his two volume report is nearly done.
Speaker 2: Smith writes in his briefing that if Garland does release that report, it would be no earlier than ten am on Friday. The late former president Jimmy Carter is en route to Washington, d C. After lying in repose for three days in Atlanta, Georgia. Mister Carter's casket is flying to Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, where it will land this afternoon and then be taken to the US Navy Memorial in recognition of his military service. After that, a horse drawn carriage will carry mister Carter's casket to the US Capitol, where lawmakers will pay their final respects at three o'clock. Will be a special service. We'll love more and ABC Steve Osensambia is more on the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: The state funeral is Thursday, where President Biden will deliver a eulogy and we expect every living president to be in attendance. Then he'll be flown home for private burial at his home. For family that has had to share him with the rest of the world for so long, this will be a moment that they have to themselves. He will be buried outside his home in a spot that he picked out with his wife before she died.
Speaker 2: The Navy will conduct a ceremonial flyover over mister Carter's home before his interment, just one more tribute to his service as a lieutenant and commander in chief. Clouding up a little bit out there, and I was seeing some snow flurries. I would say the western part of Central Mass right now we are seeing some snow. We're seeing some snow also in Vermont. So no snow in Boston, but certainly the wind is a continuing challenge. It's been impacting flights as well. Checking Flaware right now we have seventy one total delays, twenty seven cancelations. And again we saw a bunch of snow in the Baltimore area, in Washington, DC area as well. Tonight's going to be incredibly cold, the real feel well below zero. And then Tomorrow Wednesday, just like today, windy and sunny and cole Thursday, we start to warm up slightly, but we're still not even freezing yet. Friday thirty seven, that's our warmest day, you can imagine, and then we're tracking the potential storm for this weekend that could bring some snow. It's eleven oh five. We get this every year, traffic reports about Boston and you probably are saying it's got to be bad. Well, you're right, wdbc's Drew Mholland with this year's survey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still top ten kind of bad. An annual survey from traffic monitoring company Inrix finds Boston has the fourth worst traffic in the nation.
Speaker 3: Good Dade d pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess how you look at it, Larry David Right. Boston now trails New York City, Chicago, and LA with the longest waits on the road. Boston was number one as the traffic worst not long ago. We now falled a twelfth worst in the world as well. Boston drivers lose about eighty hours of life stuck in traffic per year. To put that in perspective, that's more than three entire days. You do the math.
Speaker 3: I think I'm just going to turn around and go home, so you'll be a little late. Yeah, I can't sit in traffic. I'm going to turn around.
Speaker 4: Well, I listen to the radio. I don't know some music. Some people enjoy their time in traffic. Right, No, not so much, drumaholland WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Massachusetts consumers were cheated by not one, but three United healthcare insurance companies the Cord Rule. They use deceptive sales schemes into tricking local consumers into buying supplemental health insurance. Attorney General Campbell announcing her office is ordered Health Markets, the Chesapeake Life Insurance Company, and Insphere Insurance Solutions to pay one hundred and sixty five million in restitution. Campbell says for years they prayed upon financially vulnerable people. Prosecutors in the deadly shooting of the CEO of United Healthcare ask for more time to prepare their case.
Speaker 5: Wish granted in in order of continuance, The defense team for lled shooter Luigi Mangioni agreed with prosecutors to push court proceedings to the middle of next month. This gives both sides an extra thirty days to prepare for pre trial proceedings and the trial itself. Mangioni has pled not guilty to several state charges, including murder and furtherance of terrorism, in connection to the December shooting that left United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson debt in front of a Manhattan hotel. I'm Natalie Migniori.
Speaker 2: You are now in the loop. For news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Laurie Kirby, WBZ Boston's news radio