Speaker 1: Callaroga Shock Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news and daily briefing on stand up comedy, comedians and the comedy industry. A sentence the Algorithm loves. Hope you enjoyed the George Lopez grill yesterday, because we're back to politics. Very serious topic here for real. Stephen Colbert says CBS blocked him from having on a rising democrat on The Late Show. Colbert said he was told, quote in no uncertain terms, that he could have Representative James Tallerco on The Late Show. Here's a lengthy clip. I will let Stephen Colbert explain.
Speaker 1: You know who is not one of my guests tonight. That's Texas State Representative James Talerico. He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network's lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast. Then then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn't want us to talk about this, let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: You've probably heard.
Speaker 1: So you might have heard of this thing called the equal time rule. Okay, it's an old FCC rule that applies only to radio and broadcast television, not cable or streaming. That says, if a show has a candidate on during an election, they have to have all that candidate's opponents on as well. It's the FCC's most time honored rule, right after no nipples at the Super Bowl. There's long been an exception for this rule, an exception for news interviews and talk show interviews with politicians. Now that's crucial. How else were voters supposed to know back in ninety two that Bill Clinton sucked at Saxophone? But on January twenty first of this year, a letter was released by FCC chairman and smug bowling pin Brendan Carr. In this letter, Car said he was thinking about dropping the exception for talk shows because he said some of them were motivated by partisan purposes. Well, sir, you're chairman of the FCC, so FCCU.
Speaker 2: Because I think.
Speaker 1: Simple, because I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself. Sir, I smelt it because he had delt it. You are Dutch ovening America's airwaves. Let's just call this what it is Donald Trump's administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV because all Trump does is watch TV. Okay, He's like a toddler with too much screen time that's cranky and then drops a load in his diaper.
Speaker 2: Right, so like super interesting there now. In this next section, Colbert talks about his alliance with Jimmy Kimmel and how he put the interview on his YouTube page. I have edited this for pacing.
Speaker 1: It's no surprise that two of the people most affected by this threat or me and my friend Jimmy Kimmel. When this letter dropped. We both talked about the letter on air, and then later car defended it like this, if Kimmel.
Speaker 2: Or Colbert want to continue to do their programming and they don't want to have to comply with this requirement, then they can go to a cable channel or podcast or streaming service and that's fine.
Speaker 1: Great idea man whose job is to regulate broadcast TV suggest everyone just leave broadcast TV. It's like when Arby's changed our slogan to Arby's would it kill you to eat a salad? Anyway? I decided to take Brendan Carr's advice. I am going to interview James Tallerico tonight, but it's not going to be on the Late Show. It's going to be on the Late Shows YouTube page. The network says, I can't give you URL or a QR code, but I promise you if you go to our YouTube page, you'll find it.
Speaker 2: And as the SEC Commissioner has pointed out, I'm not part of the equal time rules. So at the end of this podcast, I will play some of that interview. We'll come back to that. Meanwhile, Dave Chappelle did appear in Minneapolis. He was at the Grand Casino Arena. Neil Justin caught the show for the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Neil reports near the beginning of the show, Chappelle said, I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner, but you didn't need me. Chappelle wondered if the people in Springfield, Ohio, near his hometown would be able to show the same nerve if and when federal agents conduct similar raids in Springfield, Ohio. Quoting the account from the newspaper, Chappelle apparently said, I don't know as much faith in the whites of Springfield as I do in the whites of Minneapolis. The recap interestingly says Chappelle largely avoided jokes about transgender people, but he was far from timid when it came to joking about other groups. We're told Chappelle joked, I'm about to say the most racist thing I'll say tonight, but it's not the only racist thing I'll say. He then launched into a bit about Chinese people being sneaky. Neil Justin writes, the truth is most of his material was wrapped in affection. The one exception was his frequent use of a derogatory term for gay people that was dated and unnecessary. But for the most part, Chappelle was on good behavior, or what passes for good behavior for a comic who thrives on pushing buttons. There was hilarious routine on looking at Raiders of the Lost Arc with fresh eyes, and another on how we tried to get Will Smith and Chris Rock to hug it out. On Saturday Night Live, Chappelle announced that all proceeds from the show would stay in the community. I shared in the Facebook group, which is Daily Comedy News podcast group, a video of Dave Chappelle visiting the memorial to Alex Pretty Dave play some flowers there. There's no audio for me to really share with you here, but it's in the Facebook group if you want to check that out. Now. While I was in Chappelle mode, I found some reviews of his Super Bowl weekend shows. Now, I had been looking for these and they just weren't coming up in search. Chappelle's and Ami tend to throw into the search engines every single day, especially like yesterday when I didn't have much news, But all of a sudden these popped up. When from the SF Gates Dan Chinilly went to see Dave. Dan has written about Chappelle many times in the past. Dan thinks it seems like a recording of the set might be heading to Netflix. He wasn't sure. Chappelle walked out wearing a shirt and blazon with Colin Kaepernick on the back that got a lot of applause. Colin Kaepernick played for the San Francisco forty nine ers. Dan writes, if you've seen Dave's perform in San Francisco before, odds are you've heard much of the set. He returned to transgender jokes a few times and added some lines about Somalians to keep things topical, but this time most of the humor was aimed at Chinese and Jewish people. The other main theme was Dave's famous friends, with anecdotes about Will Smith and Chris Rock's Oscar slap. Dan found those bits dated. The standout bit of the Knight saw Chappelle recounting the plot of readers of the Lost Arc. All right, so that seems like it's part of the new set. Dan Wright says he has at almost every San Francisco show of the last three years. Chappelle told a story about running into a childhood friend at a Lakers game who directed him to his favorite Indian restaurant in the Tenderloine. Of course, the Cli the story includes an unhoused person pooping on the sidewalk. Dave closed the night on a somber note. He lowered his voice and explained that he performs these days because being around audiences makes him feel better, and that was in power want to keep us from gathering. The SF Chronicle said Dave treated his latest Bay Area appearance not as escapism but a reminder to stay vigilant. They recap that Dave did some free association weaving together celebrity weekend chatter, politics, conspiracy culture, and long winding stories that ended a punchline you can see coming but still don't quite expect. A chunk of the set was about travel. He described leaving the country after his last special and wandering through Paris, including a long riff about finally seeing the Mona Lisa and imagining how he'd react if he spotted her in the club. Oh, he's got a really good punch here, but I will get in trouble if I say it's so read it in the SF Chronicle. But the punchline to the Mona Lisa joke is hilarious. The show's rhythm, ramling story, sharp left turn, punchline, then a longer meditation also carried the themes that have defined his recent work, from the speed of online outrage to the way political identities harden into tribes, and how fame turns every breaking news update into something uncomfortably close. He then talked about Minneapolis again. This show was in San Francisco. Dave said, zeffed up what they're doing. Ice were snatching up so many Mexicans, they got carried away. They run out of Mexicans, so they flew to Venezuela and snatched up the president brought him back to America so they could try and send him back to Venezuela. That's funny. Something is wrong, isn't it. Trump is working on something. And then apparently that goes into the readers of the Lost Arc Chunk spoilers here for that chunk, Chappelle goes through theories of what the arc symbolized. Dave said, you know what the box represented to me when I saw it on beet the other day. The Epstein Files. They just dumped three million pages of the e fing most salacious crap. But I'm smart, I'm not going to look. Dave continues, The Epstein Files got the whole world ft up, don't they. Every time I go out to the party, like all Super Bowl weekend, I keep seeing celebrities everywhere, and they'd be like, hey, Dave, let's get a picture. I'm like, okay, But in my mind when I'm taking the picture, I'd be like, boy, I hope you don't reap. In another section, Dave described a futurist split between quote maggot Country, which is what we're going through now, a woke land, this one where he used the homophobic slur using one of the F words, quoting Dave, I'm going to read it flat deliberately. If I have to choose, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I'm probably going to fight on the F word land side. I'm going to be in a foxhole, like, what's your pronoun soldier? I need more ammunition. Let's lighten things up a little bit. Todd Barry will be in Syracuse tonight. He posted on social media asking celeb friendly solo dining in Syracuse. Actress Laura and Holly wrote back, No, you should probably leave the state immediately. Musician Stephen Page from The Bare Naked Lady said try Noble Settler or the Wedge. Some other recommendations included postibilities Dinosaur Barbecue, the York lemongrass Eten, Copper Top Tavern, Daniella Steakhouse, and many others. Boy, people really got into this. Todd Barry liked to feel the suggestions, including a tip for the Wegman's Food Court, but one social media user for the win. That person wrote, if you're the select question, I think you'll be okay no matter where you go. All right, let's see what's happening at Just for Last Vancouver tonight. We have our special correspondent, Mike Chisholm from the Letterman Podcast. I sent him to two shows last night. He got up super early. He texted me at like five in the morning. He lives in the Vancouver suburbs. He lives in a place called Moose Antler is a British Columbia and apparently after commute to Vancouver like ridiculously early. So I was sending him to like seven pm shows, but you know, he's Canadian. He didn't want to let me down, so headed out at like five in the morning. So we'll hear back from Mike. But if we were at Just for Last Vancouver tonight, anyone interested in this one? Mike, You're listening at seven o'clock at the Queen Elizabeth Theater an evening with David Letterman and special guest Zach Galifnakis. Boy, I hope Letterman has something to talk about. What would he possibly bring up? So we all know where Mike is going to be tonight. I considered going out to this thing. It's a Wednesday, Like if this were like closer to a weekend and I could have stretched out. I probably would have showed up at JFL Vancouver one of these years, I'm going to go to it. But it was a Wednesday. It was like, eh, so Mike will be on scene to tell us what happens with an Evening with David Letterman and special guest Zach Galifanakis. Some other shows tonight at the Rio. Craig Connant, He's got a show at seven, good luck. Catherine Blandford, who you don't know yet. She's fantastic. I've seen her. She's really good. I sent Mike to that show last night. She has a show tonight at seven. But again, Letterman's gonna win all ties. Matty Kelly has a show at the Fox Cabaret at seven. Dylan Adler, I've seen him. He's really good. He's got a nine o'clock show. I mean, I guess you could run from Letterman over to the Review stage and catch Dylan Adler. He's really good. It's a very very solid night at Just for Last Vancouver. From Radar Online, which tends to be a gossipy sight. Amy Schumer in the news again. The headline Amy Schumer's divorced strategy exposed, including how she's intent on controlling the narrative of split from Chris Fisher. Read article about Amy Schumer just always makes you feel good, doesn't it. Radar Online writes. When speculation ramped up about the possible divorce, Schumer maintained, Chris and I are still married, fingers crossed. We make it through. He's the best. A source tells Radar Online the divorce was already underway, with money, custody and property divided. The source told Radar Amy wanted to get everything handled before making the news public. For her son's sake and for Chris, She's focused on protecting them both. Okay, fair enough. She knows she's going to be picked apart and wants to give people as little ammunition as possible. She's hoping that she and Fisher can be a quote consciously uncouple, similar to Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin. The source says, then it won't all hurt so much. Ray Romano made his Broadway debut in Simon Rich's comedy about Ambition. Ray told the Today Show, Relax, I'm not singing. You don't ever want to hear this voice sing. Ray said, over the years, have been offered a couple of Broadway things, and I've never really had the courage to do a full play that runs for months. This seemed like the perfect little introduction of Broadway. And let's circle back to where we began. On the Late Show YouTube page, Stephen Colbert spoke with Representative James tell Rico. Let's listen to the beginning of that interview. I've trimmed it a little bit for pacing and cutting down music and applause and things like that, but the words are more or less intact.
Speaker 1: Joining me now is a representative in the Texas State House. It is currently running for the United States Senate. Please welcome to the Late Show YouTube page. Representative James taller Rico.
Speaker 3: I know, thank you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't usually say this to a guest, but if people are watching this right now, it's because they found us online on YouTube. I did an act of the show that's on tonight, explaining why it's not the first time you've caused some trauma. FCC opening probe into the view after appearance by taller Rico, do you mean to cause Trump?
Speaker 3: I think that Donald Trump is worried that we're about to flip Texas and Stephen this. This is the party that ran against cancel culture, and now they're trying to control what we watch, what we say, what we read. And this is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture, the kind that comes from the top. They they went after the view because I went on there. They went after Jimmy Kimmel for telling a joke they didn't like. They went after you for telling the truth about Paramount's bribe to Donald Trump. Corporate corporate, corporate media executives are selling out the First Amendment to curry favor with corrupt politicians. And a threat to any of our First Amendment rights is a threat to all of our First Amendment rights.
Speaker 2: So I'm just the.
Speaker 1: Fact the fact check you my network's at are canceling. This was a purely financial decision, got it, and I remain very grateful for the last eleven years.
Speaker 2: And you can find the rest of that interview on the YouTube page. I've shared the link in the episode notes. And that is your comedy news for today, Oh, Comedy Survivor. Looks like last time I checked, it was like a Kevin Hart voting block trying to get rid of Kevin Hart and the SIGNATARO people. They're talking a little bit too now. As a Star Trek fan, there are certain people who are just ruining Star Trek. They include Stephen Colbert, who's putting me in a tough spot today because obviously I believe in free speech. But on the other hand, Stephen Colbert aligns himself with Alex Kurtzman and the people destroying Star Trek. So I am forced to choose. I'm in a no win battle there. Do I choose free speech? Do I choose Star Trek. You know, Johnny Mack takes his Star Trek very seriously, but I'm not going to burn down the Republic to save Star Trek. I've got the DVDs up in the closet next to the Scrubs DVDs. I can watch Star Trek TuS whenever I want. What you do is you go to the Facebook group taly Comedy News podcast group. You find a picture of me extinguishing the torch of Seth Myers who was voted off last week. Write down the name of who like voted off Comedy Island. The list of remaining comedians is in that post. Voting continues until end of day Thursday. In METU Comedy news for today, see tomorrow