Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome back. We're doing a deep dive today into modern system administration, building and maintaining reliable systems, and it's a really fascinating look at how, you know, system administration is changing. It's not just keeping the lights on anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not just you know. I mean sometimes it feels like you're just like keeping the servers running, keeping the lights on, like you said, But it's much more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This book really drives home the point that modern sissemens they need a whole new set of skills.
Speaker 2: It's a whole different way of thinking about the job. Really. Absolutely, It's like you're not just reacting to problems anymore. You're building systems that are like fundamentally more resilient, more reliable.
Speaker 1: And that's where this whole idea of version control comes in, which is like a huge theme in this book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're big on version control, and you know what, they should be, right because, I mean, honestly, it's not just for software developers anymore.
Speaker 1: Exactly. This book makes the case that version control is just as crucial for sissigmind's, if not more so in some cases.
Speaker 2: And there's like actual data to back this up the door State of DevOps report. They found a super strong link between using version control and having you know, a really high performing IT team.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder why we weren't all using it like yesterday. Remember those times early in your career maybe where you messed up like just one configuration file.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell me about it, and.
Speaker 1: You're like scrambling to find a backup.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and you.
Speaker 1: Don't even know how old it is. Well, it's the right one, and then you realize it's from like a year ago, and everything's different exactly. Version control is like having that like that magic undo button for your entire systems.
Speaker 2: It's a lifesaver, it really is. It is, and it's not just about you know, recovering from disasters either. Like think about when you're onboarding a new team member. Oh yeah, instead of them having to like wade through a bunch of old scripts and trying to figure out what does what, version control gives them that history.
Speaker 1: It's like instant documentation almost exactly. Yeah, like a clear picture of how the system evolved.
Speaker 2: It just makes everything so much smoother, And you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's really cool this book. It takes version control way beyond just code. Oh yeah, you're like, why stop there exactly? Configuration files, scripts, build images.
Speaker 2: If it's part of your system, it should be under version control.
Speaker 1: They're like version control everything pretty much.
Speaker 2: And it makes sense, right, I mean, you want that single source.
Speaker 1: Of truth, right, so everyone knows exactly what's going on.
Speaker 2: No more like oh, which version of this script is the right one?
Speaker 1: Exactly? And then the book it dives into this whole debate about you know, mona repo versus multi repo.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought was really interesting because at first I was like, mono repo, that's got to be the way to go, right. It seems so simpfl like one giant repository. Everything's in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one source of truth, super.
Speaker 1: Easy, super simple. But then they start talking about you know, when you've got a huge team, and.
Speaker 2: Like it gets complicated. Yeah, imagine like fifty engineers all working on the same massive repository. Oh yeah, the merged conflicts alone would be a nightmare.
Speaker 1: It'd be crazy.
Speaker 2: Suddenly that single source of truth doesn't seem so simple anymore, right, and even just managing dependencies, oh yeah, like one team needs this version of a library, another team needs a different version. It can get messy exactly, And the book does a good job of like not picking a side. It's not saying mono repos all these good or multi repos always bad.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It really depends on your team, your workflow, your specific needs, your context exactly. So, like the takeaway for me was, you know, be intentional about your choice document it, make sure everyone understands why you're doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Make sure everyone's on the same page exactly. Yeah. And beyond just you know, preventing those like disasters, right, lost work those oh no moments. The book it gets into these other like amazing benefits of version control.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but I hadn't really thought about before, like reproducibility.
Speaker 1: Reproducibility huge, huge. I mean, if you have good version control, you can spin up any previous version of your system like that, like instantly, exactly. So think about testing a new feature, right, or like debugging a really tricky issue, right, You can recreate the exact environment from any point in time.
Speaker 2: Makes troubleshooting so much easier, so much easier.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's like having that rewind button for your infrastructure.
Speaker 1: It really is. And I love how the book uses that analogy of a shared bank account to describe version control.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's such a good analogy, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Imagine you and I are trying to run a business, right, We're making deposits, we're taking out money, but there's no record of any of it.
Speaker 2: Chaos, total chaos. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But with version control, it's like having that perfect transaction history. Every change is logged, Who may it, why they made it, accountability exactly, transparency.
Speaker 2: It just makes everything so much more organized and manageable.
Speaker 1: So we've like really hammered home how powerful version control is. But what about actually, you know, putting it into practice. Right, This book doesn't just tell you to do it.
Speaker 2: That shows you how.
Speaker 1: They actually give you the like the steps, the tools.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and it's written for Sissigmins bi semence.
Speaker 1: So it's super practical. And they even get into code reviews, which can be you know, a bit of a touchy subject. Sometimes. I've been in those code reviews that are like brutal. We've all been there where it feels like, you know, everyone's just picking apart your code and it's not very constructive, not helpful at all. This book takes a totally different approach, though They.
Speaker 2: Really emphasized that like code reviews should be a learning opportunity. Oh, it's a chance to share knowledge, to catch potential issues early on, but in a constructive way. Yeah, it's a team effort, not a competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it shouldn't be about, you know, tearing each other down, exactly right.
Speaker 2: And it all comes back to that idea of collaboration. We're all in this together, and speaking of collaboration and like just working smarter in general. I love the part where they talk about setting up a really awesome local development environment because that can make such a huge difference.
Speaker 1: It really can. Having the right tools, the right setup, it just makes you so much more productive.
Speaker 2: And the book goes into detail about like choosing the right editor, setting up testing frameworks.
Speaker 1: It's all about efficiency, righty, making your life easier.
Speaker 2: And honestly, I think that kind of sums up what I love about this book. What's that It's all about giving cissidminds the tools, the knowledge, the mindset to not just like survive, but to actually thrive to access in this like crazy world of ever changing technology.
Speaker 3: Because it is constantly changing, you always feel like you're like playing exactly, but this book it gives you a framework, a way of thinking about the work that can really help you stay ahead of the curve. Absolutely, and it gets you thinking about not just the technical stuff, but the human element too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's so important, which you know they don't always teach you about.
Speaker 2: In school, No they don't. But as systems become more complex, as teams get bigger, those soft skills, those human skills, they become even more important.
Speaker 1: Communication, collaboration, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's not just about the technology anymore. It's about the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And with that, I think we've done our deep dive for today.
Speaker 2: That was a good one.
Speaker 1: We explored this whole world of modern system administration.
Speaker 2: Version control. Everything we talked about, version control, local development.
Speaker 1: The human side of it all, so much good stuff. So we hope this episode gave you some things.
Speaker 2: To think about, inspired you to maybe try some new things.
Speaker 1: Maybe even level up your own Sissenmin game a little bit.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Until next time, happy coding, and mayor systems always be up and running.