Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's a hard Monday.
Speaker 3: I'll say this, the the amplitude of the wave in the beginning of the season is always very shallow. You don't get too excited, you don't get too depressed. You're like, d I get eighteen weeks to figure out all and then as you get you know, week eight, start to see some like well there's a chance or they're awful. And then you get into like week twelve, thirteen, fourteen, and you're like, we're going to the playoff one week and then three and a half hours after kickoff, you're like.
Speaker 2: This is the worst time. How in the world?
Speaker 4: Just these are.
Speaker 3: They're professionals, How could they possibly do this?
Speaker 2: What happened? Am I plugged in? Is it making noise? Okay, we're having a little computer issue in here, and I can't figure out.
Speaker 1: Exactly what's this is the excitement of a live podcast, you know, you listen to a taped podcast, you don't get they get to edit and post and all that storing. You don't know what's going to happen here on this live podcast.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, charge was lost yesterday. I had an opportunity to go to the game. I realized that we're it's getting busy, like there's a lot to do ahead of the holidays.
Speaker 2: And things like that, so I didn't. I didn't end up going. I'm kind of thankful that I didn't.
Speaker 1: Although it looked like a fun listen, it was fun to watch Baker and Mike Evans. Like Baker Mayfield, what a great story. What I mean, like him or hate him. He is a freaking winner and he plays with a lot of emotion, a lot of heart, and that's always fun to see. You know, Justin Herbert's great at what he does, but he is as icy as lake in the morning.
Speaker 4: Like he is.
Speaker 1: There is no high, there's no ups, there's no downs rarely, and when he gets frustrated sometimes he'll he'll, you know, he'll bang his helmet on the grass. But Baker Mayfield wears his heart on his sleeve and it's fun to watch. And Mike Evans, holy hell, he reminds me of Jerry Rice. I mean, he is incredible to watch. Just a cut above. The Chargers didn't do much to help their playoff hopes.
Speaker 4: They didn't do much period, end of the story, and they know that, you know.
Speaker 2: So that was bad.
Speaker 3: President Elect Trump is holding a news conference at mar A Lago. He's taking questions and this is one of those that's going to go on for some time.
Speaker 2: He's been out there for about an hour.
Speaker 4: Looks good, doesn't he? Is that just good lighting? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Part of it's good lighting?
Speaker 3: But he was he was He was talking, among other things, about RFK Junior going to Capitol Hill. He's meeting with senators like we've seen other potential appointees do. So he's getting his first crack at some of those questions that he'll face about his feelings about.
Speaker 2: Vaccines and the healthcare industry, et cetera.
Speaker 1: The big investment was that one hundred billion dollar tech investment in the firm that's really big on AI. Yeah, they're very into open AI. It's called soft Bank, and they say they're going to be creating one hundred thousand jobs in AI and infrastructure, which terrifies me.
Speaker 3: Which was then funny because Trump stood behind the guy that was speaking and goes, okay, how about this right now? I get I asked for two hundred billion. What do we say, two hundred Yeah, and the guy just laughed nervously. Well, we promised a hundred, but you know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Part of this is that Trump likes to make these announcements, and his first term, early on, he announced a ten billion dollar investment by Fox Con promised thousands of jobs that never happened.
Speaker 4: So he does like to make these big splashes.
Speaker 1: He said back in twenty sixteen at Trump Tower with the same the same guys, that he'd spend fifty billion create fifty thousand jobs. Don't really know if that happened either, but it does make for a good announcement. It does make for a good boost of morale when you think about all of those jobs potentially being created.
Speaker 3: Okay, make sure we keep in mind there is a touch of hysteria in this issue.
Speaker 4: A touch. Well, that's what happens in a vacuum.
Speaker 1: You don't get information right away or for three weeks, and you start coming up with your own information.
Speaker 4: The government should know that.
Speaker 1: What's worse, they know what's going on, and they're not telling us, or they have no idea. I would love it if they knew what was going on. And just we're not telling us right.
Speaker 3: The scarier version is they don't know what's going So we saw this with COVID and there was a great There was a great op ed piece in the Wall Street Journal today, Drones and the cost of lost trust. The idea that we turn to the fed federal government and say to them, please tell us, Please tell us what's going on. Even if you lie to us, Please tell us what's going on. But to stand there with your palms in the air and go is the worst answer you could possibly have. Alejandro Majorcis, the Department of Homeland Security Secretary, was on ABC yesterday and said, oh, we are working on it, and we're asking state and local authorities in New Jersey, New York to take care of it as well.
Speaker 5: To assure the American public that we in the federal government have deployed additional resources, personnel, technology to assist the New Jersey State Police in addressing the drone sightings. Some of those drone sightings are in fact drones, some are manned aircraft that are commonly mistaken for drones.
Speaker 4: Low t.
Speaker 1: He said that one of the reasons seeing this is because there was a change of an FAA rule last year that allows drones to fly at night.
Speaker 4: That's why there's an uptick in drone sightings.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is just people at drones all getting together.
Speaker 4: And fly in their drones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then how come none of them have come out and said, guys, it's just me.
Speaker 2: It's just Bob. I'm down the.
Speaker 3: Street of your neighbor. I didn't mean to I didn't mean to scare anybody.
Speaker 4: Excellent point. Where is Bob?
Speaker 3: And there are there are reports of drones that come in from the ocean.
Speaker 2: Now a listen. I'm not saying they're real or not. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying there are sworn law enforcement officers in the state of New Jersey who say, I have no idea what's going on, but as I'm driving my patrol car, I saw a couple dozen of these things coming in from the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's there is video. I don't know if it's verified video, but it's on Twitter. There's also the aerospace boss who says that they're trying to smell radioactive material.
Speaker 4: Have you read this?
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 3: We have talked many times about the cabinet appointees making our way around Capitol Hill, turns out that RFK Junior is going to be meeting with Republican lawmakers today trying to make his case to be the Health and Human Services Secretary. Said that he does not want to take away access to vaccines, but has question there at safety and that's one of the issues that's going to come up. President elect Trump continues his long winded news conference there down to mar A Lago.
Speaker 2: One of the issues that he was asked.
Speaker 3: About was the quest I suppose to have his daughter in law be appointed the new senator from Florida to take over for Marco Rubio.
Speaker 1: That's going to be real power play between Trump and DeSantis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A good long article today is basically that DeSantis is considering her I mean, it kind of has to with this way. If it's the re question President elect, what is he going to get for it? But for what and why? I mean, what is what would benefit? Is he doing the calculus of we need someone who's going to benefit the state of Florida, or do we need somebody who's going to be close to the President of the United States.
Speaker 1: It's all about the power and what's he going to get and does he want to bend the knee to Trump, and Trump's all about I want to tell you what to do, and you're going to do it because I wield that kind of power.
Speaker 4: He says he will.
Speaker 1: By the way, Trump today said he will look at pardoning Mayor Eric Adams, who's facing those bribery charges.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Eric Adams has come out and has talked about last week he was talking about he's going to work with Tom Holm. And the borders are basically crossing lines that the Democratic Party would have considered untenable before Nancy Pelosi got her hip replaced. That was not a surprise. We knew that she fell while she was in Luxembourg. She was taken to a military hospital in Germany. Eighty four year olds and broken hips are not often a good combination.
Speaker 1: Not good usually. That was the kiss of death right in the eighties. Grandma broke her hip. She's not gonna make it. My grandma broke her hip when she was like in her fifties or sixties or something. Never got the operation, just walked like Jim harbought for her whole life.
Speaker 3: She walked around with cleats basically, you know how he walked.
Speaker 2: Cleats on the sideline.
Speaker 1: No, but you know she's terrified of that operation, and it's it's not good at eighty four.
Speaker 4: It's different if you're an athlete.
Speaker 1: You're moving around and you get your hip replaced in your fifties because people are doing that because the surgery has been streamlined over the years.
Speaker 4: We played the segment that the handle had on the drones.
Speaker 2: He makes more sense than you do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: God, i'd hear it. I didn't hear the segment.
Speaker 2: That's a veto let me play this.
Speaker 3: This is Chris Christie, former governor of New Jersey, talking about what's going and by the way, he said he saw a drone over his backyard.
Speaker 6: Most recently, administration and state authorities have to be more vocal and let people know exactly what they're doing. It's a lack of communication from the government at the federal and state level that's at fault. Here.
Speaker 3: I mentioned that Wall Street Journal op ed piece. It says no one in Washington seems to be able to convincingly explain these sightings. A joint statement by the FBI and Department of Homeland Security says, we have no evidence at this time that the reported drone sidings pose a national security or public safety threat, or even have a foreign nexus.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all. Listen.
Speaker 3: All that is is absolutely probably true. They don't have any evidence that it's bad. But we've got to be able to defend against drones which have become a massive useful bullet in the wartime game plans.
Speaker 4: We just did you just listen to handle segment on drones and then you're.
Speaker 2: No, Okay why I was just trying to make sense of it.
Speaker 1: You were just you were just searching for your words, So I thought that you're. John Ferguson is the CEO of Saxon Aerospace, a drone manufacturer in Kansas. He's weighed in on the drones in a TikTok post it has gone viral. He says that the action could be due to potential gas leaks or radioactive material.
Speaker 4: He says in this nine minute video that the.
Speaker 1: Only reason an unmanned aircraft would be flown at night was if its operator was looking for something. He says, my own guess is that these drones are not nefarious in intent.
Speaker 4: If they are, they are, but I doubt it.
Speaker 1: The only reason they'd be flying and flying that lowestcause they're trying to smell something on the ground, to.
Speaker 4: Which I say, how is that not nefarious? What kind of what?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Is he suggesting that it's like a one of the utilities is out there searching for leaks or something like that.
Speaker 1: The utility raise its hand and say, we're searching for leaks. Nobody's coming forward.
Speaker 4: To your point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the that's the end. Listen.
Speaker 3: You mentioned my Orcus and the rule that he said on ABC's This Week yesterday where they've changed. September of last year, they had changed the rules that they can allow drones to fly at night as long as they meet the certain parameters. They've got to be well lit, they've got to be visible within three miles all, I mean, all these rules. Yeah, which is fine. I have not done this yet, but I'm curious, if you just in any neighborhood in southern California, if you just stood out on your porch, back porch, backyard long enough, are you going to see these things? I mean, are they ubiquitous enough that you're going to see them regardless?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're looking for them, you're going to see them.
Speaker 3: If you're just driving to or from the restaurant or something you're not necessarily going to notice it.
Speaker 1: Well, there are people walking outside in southern California and noticing these. Video was sent in to KTLA by a guy in Redondo Beach, described as moving light zooming across the sky. He saw it, well, he was putting up his Christmas lights. He said, what's this? They're just hanging out. There are alleged drones flying above riverside in footage uploaded to TikTok to Mecula as well. I mean, but drones are I think to your point, everywhere we just don't notice them, and now are we just? Is this just hysteria where one drone news story births one thousand more just because it's top of mind.
Speaker 3: Well, and I'll go back to the balloon story, the Chinese spy balloon that floated over the United States for eight days. People started seeing balloons everywhere. Yeah, I mean to the point where we were scrambling jets to shoot them down even if they were nothing.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: So yes, I mean, people look up for the first time all week because their face is buried in their phone or whatever.
Speaker 1: I think the takeaway is that the Emperor has no clothes. We think that we have the brightest minds that know everything over there in Washington, and I don't think they know Jack s.
Speaker 3: So who Well, yeah, but then who does Who is the person? Who's the agency's who?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know about that. Huh.
Speaker 3: Luigi Mangioni is pulling in all kinds of cash to pay for his.
Speaker 4: Lawyers and all kinds of tail.
Speaker 2: What's going on with you people?
Speaker 3: A new motion introduced by a couple of La County supervisors would declare the closing of Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall a local emergency that would grant the county access to powers that are usually reserved for things like natural disasters to try to avoid here's the thing they're trying to avoid, putting communities in extreme peril. If you remember, of course, the facility was legally required to close Thursday, last Thursday, but La County has defied that state law. One of the reasons is they said the two hundred and sixty juvenile inmates there. The only other option if they're not at Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall is you release them back into their communities.
Speaker 2: That is the concern to tomorrow. LA County is going to be looking at that at that resolution.
Speaker 1: Several online defense funds have been created for Luigi Mangioni by anonymous people. You know, I wouldn't mention his name as much, but it's such a fun name to say, isn't that awful?
Speaker 2: That's why you say it awful?
Speaker 1: Including one defense fund on the crowdfunding website give Send Go. As of yesterday morning, they had raised over one hundred thousand dollars. This is the guy that shot and killed United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson in Midtown Manhattan. Of course, there's a lot of resentment of corporate power that exists in this country. A lot of it stems from some of the most well to do people like himself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's that Ivy League way.
Speaker 1: Of thinking that corporate greed and power is bad. It's very prevalent on all college campuses.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember thinking that way when I was a poor college student, and oh the man in corporate America and it's all greed, and it's a very common thought process. I'm still in the camp of this guy was a male in his early twenties, and we've seen it time and time again. If that's the time of life when if there's going to be a brain chemistry shortage or the wiring goes bad, that's when it happens.
Speaker 2: And there is something could be both, It could be both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is something admirable about someone taking up a fight on behalf of someone else, sure, especially the little guy, especially the little guy. But this guy does not appear to have been harmed by insurance companies, at least at this point.
Speaker 2: We haven't.
Speaker 3: We haven't gotten the information. We know that he you know, we know that he had serious health issues. He had that spondyl of Noah, I was gonna say it perfectly, spondalo life thesis, a back problem that apparently has aggravated while he was surfing in Hawaii, and it was chronic pain and it was difficult. His mother may have also suffered from chronic back pain. But there's nothing to suggest that he was denied coverage because of any of that.
Speaker 1: There's also something going on in our culture of being aggrieved for other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And my point in saying that it's an admirable thing for you to be able to pick up and take on a fight on behalf of someone who can't do it themselves.
Speaker 2: But this is the egregious.
Speaker 3: Bastardization of that, you know, fighting the good fight kind of thing. We talked last week that term social banditry, of course, where if the powers that be cannot take care of us, we need somebody to fight back on our behalf. And in you know, that social banditry version of it comes out of Marxist thinking, uses a lot of illegal means to fight on behalf of the little guy, and this obviously would be a branch of that, I guess. But the idea that you would feel so moved by his action of killing a man that you would then send in thousands of dollars, even if it's a couple twenty bucks and it turns out to you know, total one hundred thousand dollars in some cases just is beyond me.
Speaker 1: Remember that woman we told you about last week, the one who was on the phone with her health insurance company blew Cross when she said, delay denied to pose you people are next, and she was arrested for that because they took that as a credible threat. Well now she has raised over twenty five thousand dollars for her legal defense.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is if you are a if you're a CEO of any of these health companies.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine what this.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine what going to the grocery store looks like for you, for fear the I mean, you have wanted posters in New York with your face on them.
Speaker 4: The good thing is is these aren't people who go to.
Speaker 2: The grocery store. Maybe, yes, they have people for them.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Have I mentioned that that's a really nice looking shirt on you? The usually you wear this shirt one tone of blue, and that shirt has two tones of blue, and that's fun.
Speaker 2: Well, and then I have blue shoes.
Speaker 4: Oh huh yeah, Oh look at that.
Speaker 2: That's different.
Speaker 4: Oh that's nice, that's fun, right, blue jacket? Doesn't it feel nice to get a compliment?
Speaker 2: Is this? Are you? Wait a minute?
Speaker 3: You did that only to tease the story that's coming up next hour.
Speaker 1: I did it for two reasons. I did it to tease the story and to give.
Speaker 4: You a compliment.
Speaker 2: But in that order, probably.
Speaker 4: Maybe I did get a job to do.
Speaker 3: I did get compliments on this jacket over the weekend. Oh good, Yeah, this is the jacket you gave me for Christmas last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 4: Have to wear it inside because it's so cold here.
Speaker 3: It is very cold. I almost brought gloves today.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I was at the game last night and I just had like a light sweater on and jeans and I had a scarf in the second half. But I was just like, this is funny. I'm not as cold because the wind started to kick up. It's late after it's December win and I'm like, I'm not as cold as I would be in the studio in the eleven.
Speaker 2: O'clock anime building.
Speaker 4: It has really gotten me ready for the cold.
Speaker 3: For the first time in recorded history, the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for the city of San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Really on Saturday morning. Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: They had a couple of big cells that went through just before about six o'clock local time Saturday morning. People in San Francisco started getting National Weather Service warnings, tornado warnings and telling people to take shelter. About a million people were covered by this warning. It expired about fifteen minutes later. From a tsunami to a tornado.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: In just a few days, yeah, the latest wellness story that always this always fascinates me. Anybody over fifty, they say maintaining close friendships isn't just about having someone to chat with over coffee. It could be integral to your health and well being. Yes, if you're over fifty. Study revealed seventy five percent of older adults say they have enough close friends. Those saying they're in poor mental or physical health are significantly less likely to maintain these vital social connections.
Speaker 2: University of Michigan did this.
Speaker 1: Survey, speaking of would you like my good news story? Yes, we don't need to get into Pelosi's broken hip that much.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's broken.
Speaker 4: It's broken.
Speaker 3: I mean it's new now. It was broken, they fixed it. I don't know. I still don't know. Did they do just a titanium hip?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did they do just the ball or the socket?
Speaker 1: I don't want to think about Nancy Pelosi's balls and sockets and hips. Three years ago, Lydia and her husband Andy moved into their new apartment in Honolulu, and they noticed loud music coming through the walls from the neighbor's apartment, and I'm like, what the heck is that.
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: So they decided to go over and introduce themselves and see what the ruckus is all about.
Speaker 4: And they meet their neighbor, Derek.
Speaker 2: Derek.
Speaker 1: Derek is a ninety eight year old former English pilot in the British Navy.
Speaker 3: I was going to say he could not be an American ninety eight year old named Derek. That name was not around the United States in the nineteen teens.
Speaker 4: Well, it was around the England.
Speaker 1: So they discovered that Derek was playing his music so loud because he wears hearing aids that were not working. So they helped him adjust his hearing aids. And while they were helping Derek with his hearing aids, would you want to touch someone else's hearing aids.
Speaker 4: It's been in their years.
Speaker 2: I did that when I had to adjust my dad's hearing aids. Put him on.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I mean, it's it's your dad, but it's still anyway.
Speaker 4: They noticed that he has a piano in his.
Speaker 1: Apartment and they said, well, he starts playing this, well not yet, don't jump ahead. The couple learns that he had taken piano lessons as a kid, but he stopped, but when he got older, he realized he could just sit down and play anything from memory by year, feeling his way on the keys, he said that he would play for his new neighbors, Lydia and her husband sometime and that's where their friendship began. He invited us over for tea. We did that a few times, and he had We had him over for why and Christmas cocktails and dinner, and then he started playing for us, and you know, we have pizza sometimes.
Speaker 4: Pizza and beer. They never skip dessert.
Speaker 1: And then they have a mini concert from Derek, sometimes with a theme like Christmas songs or Valentine's Day love songs. Lydia enjoys singing, so sometimes he'll write lyrics for her to sing along with him. They love to do Secret Love by Doris day time. Anyway, she started recording videos of their performances to send to her mom, who also plays a piano. Then one day she decides to put them on TikTok spread some joy. It went viral, millions of views of Derek playing his yamaha. She says, I thought it was incredible. I read every single comment. I relay them back to Daniel. It's just such a positive little pocket of the internet.
Speaker 4: She says.
Speaker 1: I often ask him if if I can post something or keep posting, and he says post it all.
Speaker 4: He loves it. He can't believe the reach he has.
Speaker 2: That's funny, that beautiful. I used to TikTok more than you do. He's eight years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also has a cat named Biscuit. He likes to post pictures of videos of Biscuit.
Speaker 2: How old is Biscuit?
Speaker 4: Biscuit sixty seven? Biscuit used to go by Kevin.
Speaker 2: Oh he did.
Speaker 6: That? Wait? What?
Speaker 4: No, why did you call for that.
Speaker 2: Fat thumbs? Wrong button?
Speaker 4: We haven't played that in a while for good reason. Is it a booty song? Monday? I think it is.
Speaker 2: Body, Body, boody boy.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: Friend of mine said she enjoyed that interview with Russ Taffy, the lyricist of course, who did the trumpere is this? And he said, she said, it's a good thing you didn't play the booty song for him to describe some of the other songs that you play all the time on the show.
Speaker 1: I think he would like it, honestly, I think he would be like he had a pretty good sense of h totally all right, we come back. I couldn't not get the image of the dad in the back bedroom drinking. Yeah, I couldn't get that out of my head all weekend, like he painted such a picture of that household.
Speaker 2: Is that where you spent Saturdays in the back bedroom? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Drinking, Yeah, drinking cheap hooch. Yeah. Up next, the crazy weather from up north. They go, like you said, from tsunami to tornado warning over the course of just a few days, and then more earthquakes even today.
Speaker 4: Super glad I'm headed up there this weekend.
Speaker 3: Lucky you you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lap