Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a mad Welcome to it Monday morning Scott's Slung show back on seven hundred w ALW and we just jumped right into because we got so much happening on today's show. It's unbelievable. Connie Pillach prosecutor later on in the big mac Bridge fire case and that is a crazy story. We got console member Anna Albe. Another shooting last night, blew up the Bay Horse Cafe, shut the windows out there and a drive by not good. And of course we pick up Orio left off on Friday, and that would have been with the new stadium deal. Today, by the way, would have been the deadline to extend the current contract. It would have expired. But Hamlin County Commissioners approved a new Bengals lease just to refresh team stays here through at least twenty thirty six, four hundred and seventy million in improvements. That's about sixty percent what was in the original memorandum. But I guess we're waiting for state money. Maybe down the line we'll get into that. Another three fifty from the county, sixty million from the NFL with a loan to the Bengals. Another sixty million from the team, no new taxes. Bottom line is we the taxpayers the county hamble and pay about seventy five percent. There's about twenty five percent from the team. Uh in just to compare seventy five percent versus the ninety four or it was, I would say it is moving definitely in the right direction. On that is Hamlin County Commissioner Alisha Rees, who's been like in a communication blackout. She's on the dot, was on the backside of the moon. She couldn't talk to us. She was locked down, probably killing her because the girl loves to talk. I don't know if you know that about Alicia. She can talk. Alicia, welcome back, how are you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's good to be beck go. But I wasn't on a blackout. I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I was working.
Speaker 1: I know you're working, but you did still the deal up to talk like an idiot, Like well, I talked to slam School.
Speaker 4: The deal up.
Speaker 1: He's an idiot. Why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: I get yeah, we're waiting, Yeah, we're waiting to see you know. So I got some good news and then I got some bad.
Speaker 4: Let's get some good news.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: But the bad news is we do not have a least I know everybody's running there we've.
Speaker 4: Got a lease. We don't.
Speaker 2: I'm concerned still, I abstained because I'm waiting and been consistent on your show, and you know, just they consistent.
Speaker 4: Was a tax basers with the voters.
Speaker 2: That I wouldn't make any moves until we actually had the written lease. Because in nineteen ninety seven we went to the polls. People went to the polls and they were sold a concept just kind of like what you ran down, a good concept. All we're going to get to stadiums and everybody's excited and homeowners would get a thirty percent rebate every single year. And it was a concept, and so everybody got excited. They high five kind of similar would just happened this week, this past week. But then the lawyers got behind the curtains, the Bengals ownership lawyers and the county lawyers, and at the end of the day, it was not in the written contract lease. What was said in the concept talking points, and what happened was the thirty percent was never written in. It was saying you're going there would be a rebate, and the commissioners got to vote every year, so we the tax payers was never written inside the lease, but everything that the Bengals ownership wanted is in writing, and it was put in place, and it was there. I wasn't even in politics, and now I have to abide by a lease. What happened on last week, and if you know, I've just got to be honest with the people, was that there was a vote to extend the deadline. So the deadline was supposed to be today, but the vote was to extend it. So we are still under the nineteen ninety seven bad least, and we will stay under it until we get a new lease. What we had was what you call an LOI, which is letter of intent, which legally is not binding. It says in legal terms, it's not binding. It is not a final lease. And in fact, the resolution that was voted on that's the reason I have stayed. I said, why would I vote on this? It has a title and then the title it says it's a resolution for Hamilton County and the Bengals ownership to go into the negotiation.
Speaker 3: Now, I thought, we've been negotiating.
Speaker 1: How long does the deadline get extended until.
Speaker 2: When there's no that's that's the key in this resolution. There's no timeline in this resolution. It says at the bottom of the resolution that was voted on, I'm not talking about the pr talking points, I'm talking about the actual resolution. The title says this resolution is for Hamilton County and the Bengals to go into a negotiation. That's the title. Then it has another cause in there. It says, this is no way, no way it can be seen as a new lease that's been writing. And so I said, well, what in the world we've been doing. I've been trying to get to the lease, says I got elected five years ago. I thought, we've been getting to the lease. So it's a nineteen ninety seven move where we clapped our hands at man, we got it. We don't get two stadiums, and blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: And then the.
Speaker 2: People got really pissed off when they got the actual binding lease. And so what was on here is that this will stay intact. Nineteen ninety seven is still intact today and the extension has gone beyond today.
Speaker 1: So what are we celebrating? What were we what was this big press conferences?
Speaker 5: And what I'm saying, what.
Speaker 1: Were we doing? So we're celebrating the fact that we didn't come up. We've got to celebrate the fact that we agreed to remove any deadline.
Speaker 2: That's what we did, and now the lawyers are to get together and start working on the lease that I even asked at the meeting, what's the dead line? No one had the dead line, So I got to be just honest with the people. You know, we've got a concept, but we don't have an end the concept plan. I'm gonna tell you you talked about three hundred and fifty million dollars guarantee. The Bengals get a guarantee the own, but there's no guarantee for anybody else in the new group in the new proposal that ain't been passed. It's not in writing, that's not in the lease. The homeowners get screwed. I couldnot even present the thirty percent for seven additional years on a lease that would only.
Speaker 4: Be ten years.
Speaker 2: So in the seventh year they said, you could you know, reef And then someone told me, well, it's fiscally irresponsible to put in any type of break for the homeowner. They want to get back sloan to five percent. Two percent property taxes is the number one issue right now, and I can't go. I told the voters that I would be fighting. And you know, Sloan, I've been on your show. You You've helped me get the word out of the border relatives and everything. We've been able to get it two out of the you know, four years. I had been elected at that time, but now under this new I would not even be able to propose. And they told me, well, is irresponsible to give something to the taxpayers. We it'll break the bank. Well, if it breaks the bank to give the taxpayers a break, then how are we guaranteeing three hundred and fifty millions for the Bengals and let's be clearsloans? The State of Ohio Speaker of the House said no, they they the Bengals put in something for the city to put the money in the mayor and the city said no. So you know, again, I don't know what we're celebrating. That's why I like to take it to the ballot, to be honest, so the people know exactly what we're doing. But they're doing a good job with po oh man.
Speaker 5: They got we got a deal.
Speaker 2: We got a least we gotta And I you said, show me the leaser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I gotta lead, I guess. But in lega at least risa legal language is right, it's it's LOI. You have MOUs, you have agreements of understanding, and you can go on and on and on with these things. But the principles, I guess, the core pillars of the deal are outline them at the beginning here. Those are already agreed upon. How much money is coming in at this point, So it's a matter of maybe some more of the nuances. Yeah, you don't have a lease, but at least in principle both sides agree to move forward. I guess.
Speaker 2: The other ones is what the taxpayers got it. It's actual when you get into this lead, it gets into those clauses and the whereases and the guarantees that we can't do this and we can't do that. I mean, that's really where the people got screwed. They didn't get screwed on the concept. They agreed to two stadiums. That's the concept, right, But then when you got into the nitty gritty of everything, the wait a minute, we got to pay for everything, we got to pay voll to up keep. Wait a minute, we can't do this and if you start talking about the concept, the concept is the homeowners will not be able to get any break that is thirty percent, yes, and I think that's the pre big deal. You know. They talk about it, like I said, I appreciate the concept that we'll be able to hire a third party to bring inns. But then I said, well, what's the details of that. They said, oh, we'll get to that down the road. Well, that's a lot of different details that we would have to get into. So for me, what I saw when the tax turns got really pissed off and they actually voted a commissioner out of office on They voted them out of office because once they saw a contract the lease, they said, oh my god, we got screwed. So we don't want to make the same mistake we made in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Well a Leekah Cony commissioner Lisha Resa on the Scot Slane Show this morning and what the problem is with the stadium. Lisa was greant and we celebrated this on Friday, and Alisha's like, hold up a second, this is just ending the deadline. We're still negotiating, so really nothing's been completed here. I brought up on Friday, had your compatriot on Denise Streetthouse and I get it, you guys are overwhelmed with numbers and everything else, and so you kind of misseduff. But I brought up the fact that the Bengals that were celebrating they're going to pay a million dollars rent starting in year one. And I said at the time, I was like, well, as I recall the Bengals were paying rent for the first nine years of the lease starting in nineteen ninety seven, that actually is true. And so the end result is the base rent in year one of the LEAs they're paying one point seven million, then in year two is one six, then down to one five, four to three to two, all the way to nine hundred thousand dollars a year nine. Of course, that was those twenty years ago, and now they're going to pay a million, and they're paying less rent per year than they were in the eighth year of the deal that expired after year nine. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 2: Well, that's my point about talking points number one. I've been reading this lease since I got there five it's been five years now, back and forth. That's why I told you about to find print. In the nineteen ninety seven they celebrated that they were paying rent, and they did pay one point seven million, as you said, in nineteen ninety seven dollar value. Now we're in two thousand and five dollar value. And in fact that they needn started, they would pay a million dollars, so the dollar value is a little bit less. Not the only thing about the original nineteen ninety seven it got all the way down to zero. So I think they only paid rent for maybe nine years. But listen to this. This lease is about a ten year lease, maybe eleven, and so you know that's you know, that's what they're saying that they're paid. Now, we charge right to rent the stadium. It's one hundred thousand dollars a day. So I'll let you all do the math on that. But I'm happy to see that they would be going back to paying something for being there with because you know, they got their head. It's not just the game. They have their headquarter offices there, They've got you know what I'm saying, the headquarter office is there of free parking, is there garage all that stuff. Oh and by the way, we paid a gas, an electric, we paid a water bill, we paid a sewer bill. I'm talking about taxpayers, so there needed to be something there, something else. Loan, I'm breaking it on your show first. Although I did say it at the meeting, they didn't pick it up because they already had By the way, at the meeting, it was interesting long I was sitting there and the administrator was just presenting the proposal to the public, And when I sat there, my pone went off with all these alerts. And do you know that the story had already been written in the inquiry USA Today Sports illustrator. This is before he even finished the PowerPoint that if you're gonna be passed, somebody even erroneously had put it's gonna be unanimously passed. I hadn't even voted. They hadn't even called.
Speaker 3: For a vote yet.
Speaker 2: And there's something wrong with that. Because two hundred eighteen thousand plus people voted for me to go down there represent them and take a vote. They've given somebody down there. I don't know who it is. I told the administrator this cannot be tolerated. They already had the articles talking about my vote and I hadn't voted, already talked about the deal is done. And we hadn't even he's just now presenting it in power points.
Speaker 6: To the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so the process long is the problem?
Speaker 1: Say, if you can't stop leaks at the Pentagon, you can't stop leaks at the White House. You probably can't stop leaks at the Hamlet Gun Commission.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about leaks, but don't ever put out what I'm gonna do until I do it. This is a big this is a big deal for you though, for the voters, this current proposal, and we got to keep it as a proposal. Don't say leased anymore, don't say deal anymore, because again, all we did was vote to extend the deadline of the current bad leaf from nineteen ninety seven. But in there in the proposal, this proposed proposal would end and they say ten or eleven years if it starts in twenty twenty six, hypothetically, if we can get to at least then do you know that that would end in twenty thirty six, twenty thirty seven? You know the since now you're read, deal ends in twenty thirty seven. So we would be at the table. It's hard enough trying to do one. We would be at the table with the Bengals second third deal and the Red second deal, two stadiums at the same time, and I brought it up and no one can it's true.
Speaker 1: Twenty thirty seven, the GABP deal is up. Reds are going to come to the table same time the Bengals are, and then that is going to give people fits. I would think at that point. Alicia Reese, final point on this the initial deal that we're talking about here, and again, as you correctly pointed out, this is basically an extension of the old deal. We've come to some of the pillars in the terms of what the county and the team are going to give into this thing. And I understand that it's not done until it's signed. But if things stand the way they are on the nuances are worked out and smaller points are worked out, is seventy five percent of the team is what seven I sent the taxpayers. Let me tell it again, taxpayers will fund seventy five percent of the stadium. The old deal from ninety seven ninety six was ninety four percent. That's a fire deal. Better. You can't go from the bottom of the pit, the worst deal in the world, all the way to the top of the mountain, the best the world. It's going to take a number of long after we're gone from this world for this for this to change. But it is seventy five percent at least a big step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: I think we're making some progress. But if you look at Cleveland, they're doing a fifty fifty deal, that's a real partnership. They're putting in some real money and skin in the game. Bengal's ownership, according to Forbes, could afford to put some skin in the game. And so what I look at it as one if you keep out the thirty percent for the property tax owners, who I don't think the deal could have passed without that thirty percent. I think if we can get thirty percent, because that to me de ducts from the seventy five percent, because right now it's almost zero percent for the homeowner or the taxpayer. And I'll tell you this Loan. When we were having one of our meetings, a veteran, it was some commotion out in the hallway and they said, I said, what happened? They said, well, it was a caucage and veteran who came down there and they told him the shush and.
Speaker 3: He said, don't you shush me.
Speaker 2: They've turned off my gas and electric and I'm about to be homeless. And I serve this country. So when I look at the deal, it's not in isolation. I've got to look at it for the homeowners. Two hundred some thousand homeowners versus nine games. Okay, we've got nine games with a three hundred and fifty million dollars guarantee. We got two hundred and fifty two hundred twenty thousand homeowners, by the way, who have no guarantee right and property taxes is one of the top issues, and the economy is going up. How do we cook? To me, a win win would be we've got to have some skin in it for the people who are actually asked to fund this. And I appreciate, like I said, I'm a big Bengals fan and everything, but I had to take my fan hat off. And fifty something percent of the Bengals fans come from outside of Hamilton County, so they're not on the hook accepted buy a ticket to go to the game. And so I've got to think about that veteran. I gotta think of our grandma with the house. And that's why I've said, we got to keep pushing to because our job was really to make sure that the taxpayers got a good deal. And when you look at the proposal that's being pushed, we've got nothing in it for the taxpayers. You said, we're not gonna charge you more, but we're not gonna give you anything either.
Speaker 1: Well that's been a problem because you can cut on one hand the number of times you give that thirty percent back since to steal with sign and that's that makes you, guys. It doesn't make the team look bad. It makes you all with the commission look bad. At least your ree Hamlin County Commissioner always love having on the show. I'm glad to have you back. And I get it. This is a deal that's still in could get really screwed up, and let's face it, the and could fall apart. But at least it seems like it's moving in the right direction. Hope y'all can get it done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make sure people.
Speaker 2: We can't give the people a pr spin. We've got to give them the real facts and I can't make a move and a good conscience. They so what I told my voters, I said, I'm going to keep going until we get the final lease and then I'll make my decisions. And today we have no lease. We have an extension, and I think we need to call it what it is. That we were given an extension. That's what we should have said. Don't try to mucky it up to the taxpayers.
Speaker 3: They deserve the truth.
Speaker 1: Alicia will chat again in the near future, because God knows, there's always stuff to talk about with you. Thanks long, alright, can't carry yourself, you too, Thank you, ma'am. Alicia Reese on the Scott's Loan Show this morning. Your reaction to the deal that's not really a deal or is this how deals are dealt I think the latter's probably two and not the prior that the lawyers that come up with these terms. You got Loi's, you got MOUs I get agreements of understanding, agreements and principle. What does it actually mean? Really not a lot, not a lot, but usually they work out your comment's next Slaney after news seven hundred WLW Sloaney, here are seven hundred w LW. Hope you had a great weekend. Normally you get invited to a wedding. We had a weddings the last couple of weeks, they've been great. The one on Saturday, though, I gotta it was. It was absolutely spectacular. Our good friends h Drew and Regina Taylor, their daughter Noel got married to a lovely Irish lad named Rogers. So they're in town. Congratulations here their Saturday. But it was at the Elmpeka by Jeff Ruby, the old Seventh Street original flagship location. And I'll tell you what, that is the best wedding I've ever been to in my life. I mean it was. It just blew you away. You would expect that from a location, and not to throws shade into the weddings obviously too, but it was. It was absolutely fantastic. And so yeah, that was. It's wonderful to see your daughter married off to a great guy, but being part of that was fantastic. And he owns. Drew Taylor's the president of Taylor Trucking in Cincinnati. I think one hundred and I'm SA one hundred and seventy four years old on hundred seventy five years old, oldest family run company in Cincinnati, believe it or not. Seventh generation's daughter taken over so and her son Grant. So yeah, it was a great time and enjoyed immensely that celebration. So anyway, what else we got going on today? We're talking to Alicia Reese minutes ago here on the Big one, seven hundred w WELW, I had an email from a buddy through a buddy, through a buddy. Anyway, I don't want to divulge names here, but do an individual that has been involved with the parking essentially career in the in the parking industry, and especially when it comes to the stadium mirrors. I had the E streethouse on Friday, and we're talking about the money. The Bengals get ninety three percent of all parking commission and I said, that's gotta be a lot of money. So that's about one hundred thousand dollars really not that much, and they are about five thousand parking spots and about fifty dollars premium per space, and now I think they're even like in some area seventy seventy five bucks. But math on, that is two hundred and fifty thousand per game, not a total of one hundred thousand dollars, and that's still two and a half million dollars a year. If you do the math up, and so you know, again a lot of moving parts when the deal is done. And certainly don't say that anyone say anything to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. But you hear that about one hundred thousand dollars, it's got to be per game, right, And then they're paying rent of a million a year, so I don't know a million in rent, there's still this is what two two and a half million just for the parking alone. I'm de scribed to my head here gone whiskey tango foxtrot. How good a deal is this? And when you hear it's like, well, okay, the team the taxpayers are going up for seventy five percent supposed to ninety four percent like we have. Now you just wonder how many things in They're like, well is this okay? It seems like the taxpayers are paying money, but how much money are you getting back on this? On this deal? Deal? And the fact of the matter is, you know, you can compare this to other state in deals, be it the Buffalo or Baltimore or Cleveland, especially where they're going to pay fifty percent and people are still angry about that and they're getting state money. At some point the Bengals are going to get state money. And you just wonder how much that throws that seventy four per pounds off, because guess what, even though it's not Hamilton County taxpayers foot in the bill, it's still tax money. And so you throw the state money in there, does that you know, does that percentage of seventy four and I'll go back up to ninety percent again, great question. And certainly the Bengals have hung plenty of banners championship banners now to the football field, but in the courtroom, and that I think is the rub for a lot of people, especially now. And at least it's one hundred percent right, one thousand percent right about the fact that we are heading towards property tax I'm gonna get in the state of Ohio where so many people. There's a man who showed up at she said at the meeting it was mad because he's a veteran, and they told to be quiet. He's like, I'm gonna be I'm gonna lose my house because I can't afford property taxes. And we are promised a thirty percent property tax rollback if we voted for this back in ninety six. Now a lot of people listening may not have been around a voter or even dare I say, born in ninety six at that point. That's how long this bad deal was. And you're right, I look at it, go wow, you had that insult of the proper tax rollback and that you're only getting a couple times in the last thirty years, and that's even more in Syndy area in my opinion, And what does the future lie with this deal? Certainly on Thursday Friday, we're excited to know they have come to a conclusion. We've got a deal. A deal is struck. And she's right in saying that it's not you. It's not signed and inked and everything else. There's still some negotiation and deals going on, to be sure, but I think when you get the fundamentals of a deal in place, it goes to show you that both sides are on the same page. And now it's some of the nuances, and I think maybe even they feel that there's really nothing that's going to sidetrack getting this thing done. And today, by the way, was the deadline for that, the deadline for that and five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, thousand Ye Rule with David Real Quick and Lawrenceburg on the Big One. Hey David morning.
Speaker 4: How are you, sir?
Speaker 1: Everything is well, how are you, David?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, Thanks for taking my call first time, long time.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Love your show.
Speaker 5: When I'm delivering stuff, I love listening to you. Makes the day go faster.
Speaker 1: You're delivering materials, packages or babies? What are you delivering.
Speaker 4: Packages?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, all right, all right, I got you.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: My man?
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you. I have three quick things and I'll hang out much go sir.
Speaker 4: One is I.
Speaker 5: Totally respect a Lisa Reese. I love her enthusiasm for the voters so or for the uh. I guess you should say that people that are paying the taxes.
Speaker 4: So I love it.
Speaker 5: Two things. One is uh, I can tell she doesn't listen to your show or she just drives me crazy when she calls you sloan.
Speaker 1: No, it's funny, you know what.
Speaker 4: Bothers.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to me at all. I've been I've been called that, the slowney sloan. Whatever. I answered a lot of things. Some things you can't A lot of them you can't say in the radio. But the funny the guys that the always break my chops about that consent ballbrick. Hey, Slot, it's so funny.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I'm not the only one, because every time I listen to her talk to you, I'm like, even when you come online, are you go? This is sloany. Everybody that calls you, one that knows you calls you sloaney. Uh, and then she calls you sloan and it drives. It's like the fingernails on the chessboard.
Speaker 1: Man. I know, uh yeah, I never like I hear it, but it's like it doesn't bother me. It's it's kind of it's it's one of those things. This should be a pet pee for some people. I guess, well, I'm glad that.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I called that that. Then I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: She obviously then doesn't listen to seven hundred because she knows you're slowing. Everybody calls you slowly. But the last and I'll hang up is it's back. Even when they voted for the Bengals to stay, people just do not realize. I mean, I get it. The Bengals get a sweetheart of the deal. But yes, if you want to be if you want a big team in your city and you want to be a relevant big city, and it brings in a lot of cash, not even for the games, just for the reputation of Cincinnati knowing that there's a professional football team there. I think people who are stopping that in the opportunity cost that that does that. And I get it you get ripped off by them, but they you know, they earn that right by keeping the team here.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and I'll let you go, buddy, thanks for the thing of the propert. Appreciate you so much? Is that? Yeah, you do benefit from that. I know people don't want you don't want hear this, specially with property tax thing because hey, listen, I might lose my house because of property taxes. Well that's also our friends at the state. Let's not forget that. But you were promised the rollback that you didn't get.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Similarly, I look at this and go, yeah, you know with the hotel motel lights, when when when Monday night, Thursday night, Sunday night footballs in town. That's millions and millions of dollars to the bottom line the city, and we can't forget that that having an NFL franchise is huge, absolutely huge. Now you look at other cities that are it's more equitable the deal between the county or the locality and the club itself. There's no question about that. And the perspective to have is and the ink isn't signed, and then we haven't to her point, this is not a done deal yet. But in principle, if we can get from ninety four percent to seventy four percent, I'll take that because it's a step in the right direction. That the deal unquestionably the worst in the history of professional sports, and dare I say a low point, because ever since that deal was signed in ninety six, we have seen other cities look at that and give a side eye and go wa in doing that, that was littally the worst deal, and it's gotten better for every city since to the point where recently Kansas City voters and they have championships said we're not giving you deal, we're not paying, we're not putting the costs for this. So things have changed a lot.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: If you're the bottom of the hole, you're way way down to the bottom of the hole. You fall onto the pit and you try to get to the top of the mountain. So the worst deal to the best deal, you're still going to have to get halfway up to that pet And I think that's what this is. If you can take a twenty percentage point increase in the amount of money the team's contributing versus the taxpayers, I consider that a win. Is it a perfect deal? I know a lot of people want perfection from the jump, saying, hey, you know what you stole from us for years it was a lopsided deal. We're going to go completely the other way out of Vengines. That's not gonna happen either, because you know you and you jeopardize the entire operation of the club, and man, it's gonna be it's gonna be a dumpster fire when this deal is done in seven years and it coincides with the Red Leaves coming up at GABP because the Reds really have been quiet, but they haven't had to. They've been really quiet about this whole thing. They really haven't needed to publicly fight about getting stuff. Now. I would say the different than the two teams is and the Bengals I ever have learned this lesson when it comes to community engagement. They're not good at all. You look around the league at what teams do in the community, and not just the players, but the team them saying you going out there and doing stuff. If you look at other clubs in the NFL, the Bengals don't do that. And I'm not saying they're not generous with their time, talent, and treasure and anonymously giving money and trying to keep under that. And I get that, but this is not the air to be that. It doesn't work anymore. The public wants to see you engage, especially when you have so much tax periment. Look at this way. Average person in Cincinnati does not go to Bengals games, and yet they are paying and footing the bill when they buy stuff. And of course, now add the property tax thing on that where there's no rollback, and I'm now I may lose my house because of property taxes. And so the prospect is like, Okay, what am I getting out of this team? One Super Bowl appearance and not very good since and so even that feels like it's not being rewarded. And that's reality. Man, that's a perception. I've said for a long time, and I keep hearing about how the younger Blackburn women are better at this and social media and all these things they're doing, and the Ring of Honor and all that stuff. You know what, It's a step in the right direction, but you need to take a leap in the right direction. There needs to be a hell of a lot more community engagement with this team. If you're asking for what you're asking are in getting. And then on top of the property tax thing, you really need to be in the community as much, if not more than the Reds are. Because the Reds are absolutely phenomenal at this stuff and the Bengals are wolful. You need to look across the street at the other team and go, what are the Reds doing? We're not doing when it comes to community engagement. And that's a huge issue for me and a huge issue for the city. No one talks about the run. Reds are playing really really well right now and are sniff and the playoffs there, I say, but the Reds have been an exercising futility for a long time. And why did they get a pass. They get a pass because they put their arms around the city. The Bengals don't do that. That's one of the huge issues. That is a nuance behind this entire deal at five one, three, seven, four nine seven. I was real quick to a Mike in Liberty Township, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 7: One name that we keep leaving now that I wish would be brought up more so we don't repeat it as fans. I live in Butler County, though, sir, they don't even apply to me. But Bob Betty Holton, didn't he get a job you did with the Bengals after that deal with.
Speaker 1: Time he did? Yep, yep, he gotta.
Speaker 7: How the hell was that even allowed?
Speaker 1: Well, because that's what happens, right, one hand washes the other. You help us get a deal, you're out as a commissioner. Hey, you know what, we'll hire you. I mean, hell, look at it. Look at Washington man. You know this? How many these politicians stick it to us all the time and then turn around and sell out after they leave officers, they're turned out and they go and they work for the people that are fighting against happens all the time. Happens all the damn time. That's the problem with.
Speaker 3: It, God, Chad, they're completely schools.
Speaker 7: Got what I'm gonna disagree with you? No, I'm sorry, even though it's seventy five percent whatever it is. No, like you said, they need to a bigger lead than that. That that's a very very small improvement, and.
Speaker 4: That's not okay. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're going from ninety four to seventy five. That's a pretty good that's a pretty good jump percentage one.
Speaker 4: It never ninety four first off, So.
Speaker 1: It needs going You're right about.
Speaker 4: It needs to go to fifty period. That's need.
Speaker 1: And there's another part of the problem, right, is the business model of the Bengals. Their entirety, in their essence, all their all their capital comes from the football operations. Whereas you look at the Cleveland Browns that that's insurance money. So you look at that and go, okay, well the Bengals have Bengal money, but most of the other teams have other business interests. And I'm surprised over the years the Bengals havn't, you know, diversified and taken a lot of that money and started other than they might have. But you wonder how it's not helping football operations. So the idea of just solely existing out of football, it's if you can see what that what that gets you here in Cincinnati. That's not good. That is not good at all. MIKEA, I'll let you go. You're breaking up. I appreciate you listening as always. Excuse me. We got news in about oh seven minutes here on seven hundred WLW, and then it's Connie Pillach Hamblin County Prosecutor. She is here to talk about the brig the we forgot about the story because there's a huge story and inconvenience people for one hundred days and everybody went there pound of flesh and there was so much news going on, it just kind of got swept away. But I want to bring it back to the big mac Bridge fire case and why these knuckleheads, this one knucklehead in particular, decide he's going to set a fire that wound up costing what eleven million dollars in damages and eleven million dollars taxpayer money. That's crazy talk. That's absolutely crazy talk. So that's coming up in a few here again Connie Pillach Shamblin County Prosecutor at ten oh seven on the Scott's Loan Show on seven hundred Wow. Quickly here. I do want to pay homage somewhat here to Dave Parker, and it goes without saying. Dave Parker passing at the age of seventy four over the weekend and just a month before he was set to be inducted in the Baseball's Hall of Fame. He said he had one hell of a speech plan which I would have loved to hear, But that is going to be bared with Dave Parker, the Cobra dead at the age of seventy four. I've always been available to the media and always I've seen him appear quite quite a few times. So it's sad to see an icon of your childhood pass now. I remember watching him now somewhat is a red but you remember the glory days in the seventies when he was a part of the we Are Family Buccos Pittsburgh Pirates winning the World Series. I remember that incredible play he made in seventy nine watching the All Star Game live as a kid, where I believe Joe Morgan and he were running for a ball on the right field line and the ball hit the AstroTurf as it does and took a weird hop. Parker runs backwards, pivots, turns around, and almost blindly fires a laser to third base to get I think Jim Rice out at third base. One of the best All Star Game. How one of the best plays in baseball to show you because you always talk about his bat and the sledgehammer and just how much he would hit and it's incredible power at the plate. But that guy's an outfielder for a big man. He moved fast, That's why it was a cobra, moved fast. But his arm was unbelievable. The fact that he could fire a strike from the rightful left, falling backwards somewhat and reeling off a throw like that was absolutely amazing. So again, Dave Parker passing at the age of seventy four. We got news on the way one of the bigger stories today. Sadly and shockingly, two firefighters in Idaho shot and killed in an ambush type of pack attack responding to a fire near Curdleen, and that's in the northern part of that state. Yesterday afternoon. Man found dead near a firearm or the shooting occurred. Believe he's the only suspect, But sadly, one firefighter died and the third firefighter was fighting for his life stable condition now, I guess, but my god, two firefighters killed and an ambush type attack should scare the hell out of you. Police officers often think about that because that's part of the job. I mean, look what happened to Ryan Hinton, but Mike got firefighters. Now, you gotta be kidding me. So those in first responders thoughts in prayers this morning. And that's another American tragedy unfolding. So we've got that. We got lots of local news. It's all happening. I mentioned Connie pillach Is next talk about the bridge fire right after news on the Home of the Red seven hundred WW Cincinnati. Because I like to set fires, that was the answer thirty nine year old Terry Styles gave to investigators were setting a blaze to a playground below the Big Back Bridge in November first last year. Of course, that was closed in for one hundred days because that fire then spread and caused damage to the underbelly of the bridge, caused travel nightmares. Don't have to tell you that, but also cost us taxpayers eleven million dollars. Terry Styles now behind bars for nine to thirteen and a half years and joining us on the show to talk about. This is Connie Pillach handling County prosecutor, County. How you been.
Speaker 6: I'm great, Thank you? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine. Lincoln Heights, we had Rodney hitting, we had the big Mac Bridge fire, you got the Bengals. Lease, are you still glad you won the prosecutorial race.
Speaker 6: That's a really good question. My hair has been on.
Speaker 1: Fire for a little bit in addition to the bridge. But yeah, you just kept catching story after story, big case after big case. Careful what you want, you may just get it now. I and this story kind of got bare. We had so much news over the weekend here local crime and all sorts of things happening. But it was just a fascinating thing because we always speculated as to why that bridge would have caught fire, because normally you look at a structure that is made of steel and concrete and it doesn't burn. But this this melted, And I think it's just a fascinating piece of police work and prosecutorial work. So hats off to you and the department and the Sheriff's department for solving this.
Speaker 6: Well, it really was the Cincinnati Fire Department, you know, you know that's led by Chief Frank McKinley, but he's got fire investigators and they just did some gum shoe investigating that panned out great, just putting their nose to the grindstone and trying to track down those suspects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's one thing you don't think about fire investigations, but they are. It's like postal investigators. You have done think about it, but they're pitbulls. They're relentless and they will investigate a case and come to try and get it to a come to fruition presented to you to be prosecutors. This case was too. Those investigators determined through traffic cameras in the area it was a green van because we've all seen the images that night. You could see the flames starting to lick the underside of the bridge, and of course a flame, a fire doubles every sixty seconds, and that was true in this one especially. But there was a van in the area and you could kind of see it, but you didn't know what it was. It was Grainy parked it. So your point about an hour before the fire, can you give me some insight, give us some insight as to how that lead developed.
Speaker 6: Well, so the first thing that they fire investigators do is they just survey the area in which the fire started. And there are multiple surveillance cameras in the area that are on buildings or on bridges or things on structures. So they were doing that first, and they looked at it very very carefully, because you have to be looking for tiny, tiny leads. And they did see one vehicle in the parking lot down at Soyer Point, and as they looked at other types of video surveillance, they saw that vehicle exit, they saw it enter, they saw it on Renting Road, they thought on Agostin, and so they started tracking it that way, and eventually somebody who was working on the case realized that while they couldn't read the license plate, they could tell that it was a temporary tag. And this is what's really cool. They got together with the BMV and they found out all the green vans in this area with temporary tags, and they started to find them. We have licensed plate readers all over the place, and they found six of them, all six that the BMV said were here, and two of them looked like the one they'd seen in the surveillance camera on Pardony Sawyer Point and one of them was registered to Caitlin Hall, and she was one of the people involved.
Speaker 1: That is an incredible police of investing a piece of investigation. And that's amazing that you would Okay, there's six vans. This one matches the make model year. Who owns it? Okay, it's Caitlyn Hall. So you interviewed Caitlyn Hall, and I know that she and Terry Styles had three kids age. I believe she had the kids in the van at that time.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yes, yes.
Speaker 6: He and Terry Styles, the guy who set the fire, they have three children together and they were driving around in the after midnight looking for electronic scooters to steal.
Speaker 1: Three o'clock in the morning. You got kids in the back of a van. That's that's that's incredible right there to me. I mean that just leaves you shaking your head. What was the relation to us? So you had Terry Styles, Kalyn Hall and the three kids, and then Zachary Stump was also driving around. What was the relationship to the other two.
Speaker 6: They're just friends. Perhaps perhaps he looked up to Terry Styles in some way. Yeah, And that's what we gathered and look, these fire investigators They did a fantastic job interviewing these people, and so did the police departments, and we had Redding police involved, and because Caitlin was living and reading and so they just did a great job piece in this together and giving us all the evidence we need. And as you know, they all confessed.
Speaker 1: Well for a minute, didn't the two flip on each other. Caitlin hal Ands Zachary Stump like pointed there, right, they're they're accusing each other and and really didn't have any other in the van, but Terry Styles wanted to set the fire. And then finally you got him in the box and he's like, yeah, I did it. That's incredible something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not unusual for uh, it's not unusual for codefendants to point a finger at somebody else. And Zachary Stump was the first one to do it. And Styles tried to tried to lie and he was a bad liar, and and like you said, he said, yeah, I did it.
Speaker 1: And then you had James Hamilton, who wasn't even there, who was tried to help them of aid arrest as well, and just a bunch of these are not bright people you're dealing. Thank god, for that, Connie Pillach, they're not bright people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but unfortunately this guy's passion for setting fire did lead to an enormous cost for all of us, an enormous inconvenience everybody who used that bridge every day to the businesses there. Thank goodness, nobody was killed. Well, it could have been very, very bad.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: I mean we all saw the footage of the smoke building out from underneath that before y'all shut the bridge down. But I also think of the traffic jams. I mean, how many people got in fights or you know, we are The nervous part about that was the gunplay. Somebody's gonna pull a gun out because they're stuck in a two hour delay and cooler health fortunately prevailed, But there are a lot of angry people for that one hundred day period that had to take side roads in and around Cincinnati to get over the to get around the bridge closure.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was it was more than an inconvenience, but that's what we call it, an inconvenience. It was certainly a big problem for everybody.
Speaker 1: Connie Pillaw Shamblin County prosecutor of the show this morning, talking about which feels like with all the news this passed the past few days. It's kind of older news, but fascinating the reasons why and the arrest made, and largely because of the good old fashioned detective work of the Cincinnati Fire Gartment to get a confession out of Terry Styles for causing the big MacBridge fire back on November first that had things shut down for one hundred days, and he did it because he likes to set fire. Sometimes it's as simple as answers. There's a lot of speculation, is that what was the cause? And we caught a I caught and amount of people called aras because we brought up, well, it's Halloween. Wasn't a bunch of juveniles. Also, it was cold on that November first night. Could have been homeless people trying to start a fire to keep warm. I think when we try to get to the who's and you start the whys as far as investigation goes, and you tell me as a prosecutor, it doesn't mean that those individuals are responsible. But I think it would be reasonable for an investigator. Okay, well we got a van down there, looked at video. Could homeless people been witnesses are involved? And so you normally canvass that community. How long did it take and what was the process before you figured it out? Okay, it wasn't either of those things. It was actually someone else and we've got this green van. Was that pretty much from the jump where we're all things on the table prior to you come across.
Speaker 6: Well, certainly everything was on the table in the beginning. But when the investigators start looking at this, they have great training. Obviously we saw how it played out, and they do what they're supposed to do. They start by looking at the physical area, and then they start looking for clues and they were able to find them in this case. And as we all know, it was an idiot who likes to set fires and it got way out of control, and we know it wasn't any of those other possibilities. But that you know, every fire is going to be different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean you start with what you think it's like, Okay, where do we begin here? I mean, obviously, wouldn't you know, I don't know, question school kids because school wasn't in session at that point. But it's Halloween. I'm thinking, you know, is it a bunch of juveniles that are doing stupid stuff? Because it's Halloween, is it homeless is And it turns out it's none of that. It's just a guy who says he likes to set fires relative to that county pillage. Do we have any in indication he may be linked to other arsons that are unsolved.
Speaker 6: He did tell the investigators that he had set fires for many years, but I have no information about what those fires.
Speaker 1: Were, and maybe not even big enough to warrant. But again, he wasn't going to confess with that because that's more years probably, and even he's dumb enough to not dumb enough to not shut the hell up.
Speaker 6: The fire investigators did have a great impact on him, however, At the end of the interview, he said, let me see, I got it written here. He told the fire investigators he loved them, and he thanked them for keeping Cincinnati safe from criminals.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's almost like, I don't know, that's almost cartoon like in a sense where the guy gives it up and says, you got good people. I'm glad you caught me and got me off the street. It's kind of scary, actually, And then when you think about how creepy.
Speaker 6: That is, it's certainly ironic.
Speaker 1: It's like the Joker of fires almost in a sense. Thank god you got me off the street, because I would have done more. I would have done worse, and you're right, it could have been worse. There's no loss of life here. I know, Connie Pillotch that they hung around after the fire was lit because we saw some of the video evidence and the video of the monitoring down there. Couldn't really pick a lot of stuff out, but it seemed like they hung around after it was lit for a few minutes. Did they leave when it got out of control? Did they know how bad it was? And if not, what point did they learn? Oh my god, you know what, we did something really really bad here?
Speaker 6: So they did not know how bad it was. They lit the fire around two fifty six am, and the video cameras, you know, the surveillance cameras nearby, detected a glow, and within two minutes of that, the surveillance video showed dials and stumps elsewhere, you know, walking away from the playground, and then the van drove away. It exited Sawyer Points at three h five am. So they weren't there a lot a long time. But I can tell you by three thirds just eight minutes after that there was a fire, and I.
Speaker 1: Think a few minutes after that was like three fifteen. Three sixteen is when the first nine one one call came in from me driving over the bridge, said, there's smoke coming off from it. You got a big fire going on there. And so it was only a matter of minutes between when they left and this thing really really took off as a as a much bigger fire than was intended.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, and keep in mind that here's how it started. So Perry's styles when they were on the playground, he just gathered together some debris and some brush and he lit it on fire. Well, he tried to light it with his lighter, but he didn't really ignite the way he wanted it to. So he took his arm and he just pushed it all away, and instead of putting it out, what it did was send moldering embers across the playground's surface. And if you've been on a playground in the last few years, you know that they have composite wood, and they have you know, fake wood, They have rubberized surface that softer, So all of this is very flammable, but it's never going to be you know, spontaneously combusted. It has to be lit on fire, and that's that's what caused it. That's what led to such a ferocious fire because of all the petroleum products in those materials that are on the playground.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Connie's an after effect this whole thing. And you, as a student of the law as well, you may recall the Beverly Hill Supper Called fire in seventy seven, of course much more tragic than we're talking about here because the substantial loss of human life there. But that was traced to you know, Stan Chesley, a name who most Cincinnatias know the name of, first came on the scene and prosecuted that as a faulty wiring thing. We had aluminum wiring in the luminum wiring and the electrical codes change as all of the Beverly Hill Supper Club fire in Kentucky fast forward now to twenty twenty five or twenty twenty four would have been. I look at this and I wonder if playground standards are going to change because they use basically recycled ground up tire material for the base at the bottom of play and it makes sense, right, It's a rubber tire, it's bouncy, it doesn't degrade like regular mulch. Does you have the plastic material that is a composite decking that's made up a lot of these play structors. I wonder if things are going to change relative to how they build these public parks and public spaces, because if that's combustible, now that's not common knowledge. And you wonder how many more fire and playgrounds are not cheap. This then cost a lot of money to build the thousand hands playground. That maybe those standards changers all to this fire.
Speaker 6: Well, that certainly remains to be seen. But we did talk about about this with the fire investigators that I met with, and they at this point, the sense is that this playground is not new. It's been there for decades. It's probably was updated updated twenty years ago. It's inspected regularly. No one's ever had a concern about its spontaneously combussing. I mean, we have to remember this was list on.
Speaker 1: Purpose, right right, but with the fact that just a lighter and he spread it around and the next thing, you know, eleven million dollars in damage to a bridge. And wonder if that changes where we place these structures and I remember my kids were a little down there and maybe down at there, and I think my kids were playing in that same structure. I've seen that thing a million times, never thought it would be the source of a fire. Fortunately, no one was injured or died as a result of this thing, and the guy that did it is now looking at up to thirteen and a half years behind bars as well he should, and I'm sure he'll be monitored when he comes out. Connie Poltch, before I let you go, congratulations getting the Bengals deal done. I know if your ears were burning. In the first out of the show, I had Commissioner a Lisha Reeson saying, well, this is not a new deal. She said, this is just an extension to the old deal and basically you erase the deadline for today for the thing to be signed, and nothing's changed at this point. How do you react to her statement saying that this thing could still go off the rails?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, nobody can predict the future, but what I can say is that the commissioners came up with some terms they wanted to see and the Bengals agreed to them. And the Mangles sent an email out to their season ticket holders on last Thursday when the commissioners voted on this and they said the subject line was here to stay. So I think everybody's really really excited that they are here to stay. This is going to be a new lease and there will be a whole bunch of changes. First of all, the Bengals are going to pay rents. Second of all, they're going to commit some real money to upgrades. Third, they're going to increase community access, and they are not going to be vetoing development of any of the remaining undeveloped parcels on the on the riverfront. So we have a lot of a lot of things that are going for us. And also there are going to be no new taxes. So so I look at it as we've got a very exciting future here. All the legal documents have to be drafted, and as a lawyer, I know that those take time and we have to make sure we dot all our eyes and cross all our d's and the Bengals will do the same. But I mean, what a great day for the community that the county and the Bengals could come together and work together for a good deal for everybody. I'm just I'm just so thrilled that the Bengals came to the table and that's they are embracing a collaborative uh process with us. It just it just speaks to a really beautiful future we could have.
Speaker 1: You can see why people aren't old jaded by this though, right of course. Yeah, yeah, it's been thirty years of a bad, bad but you're not going to get and use attorney. You appreciates this too. You're not going to go from the worst deal to the best deal. It's it's going to take a period of deals to get this done. But hopefully this is a step in the right direction and we'll see what the nuances are here inside it. So I appreciate Alsia Reese and you today for jumping on the show. Connie Pelachambler County Prosecutor, I know you got a role I'm up against news, but thanks for taking time out as always, appreciate it so much. My pleasure be well, prosecutor of a Hamlet County. There you go, damn this thing with that bridge fire. You just look at that and go, wait, you started that because you just like to start fires. You've let a playground structure. Thirty nine year old man doing this Sometimes it just is what it is. Right with crime, we try to look at different angles on and go, well, I think it was the you know I mentioned I would look at homeless people to start. Didn't mean they did it, but that would be a logical thing as well as juveniles. It's Halloween, maybe a bunch of teenagers and kids are out there doing some knucklehead kind of stuff and it leads to this. But this guy was just like, yeah, I wanted to light the playground because I like to start fires. Oh okay, nothing to say here, I guess. Fortunately they caught him. Help worked by our fire department.
Speaker 8: By the way, that those in the fire services thoughts and prayers as you lost a couple of firefighters in Idaho where they targeted attack the firefighters in case you didn't hear this, were lured to a fire and we're subsequently shot by an assailant who's also dead at this point.
Speaker 1: So it's a dangerous job. But then you compound it with something like that, it's just a leads you scratching your head anyway, got to get the news. Scott's loan continues after this, it's mental health Monday. God knows, we needed. Julie h is here to talk about. It's seven hundred WLWD Cincinnati. Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Headtershire. Yeah, we do it on Mondays because that's when you need it the most. Am I right or wrong about that?
Speaker 4: Julie?
Speaker 1: You need it the most one Monday. It's just it's too damn much with the heat, the news cycle, it's just too much.
Speaker 9: And you're back at work again and life is a grind.
Speaker 10: Weekend is over.
Speaker 1: It is a grind. Sometimes the weekends are grind too. There's often and I'll be the weekend going I cannot wait to go back to work and take it easy.
Speaker 10: Given the weekends you've been having. I believe that.
Speaker 1: Ye yeah, yeah, so you want to you want to get in the house business now, good luck with it?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: So let's jump into this one. It's called default parents syndrome. And we've had a lot of names for this or in the minute you say what it is, default parent syndrome, people go oh oh yeah that. So go ahead and lay this out in what the issue is okay.
Speaker 9: So default parent syndrome is when you have two parents of children in the home and one of them does the vast majority of the invisible labor associated with running the kids' lives and the home life. It's not that they do all the actual execution of things, although they often do a lot of it, but they do all the invisible labor. They know who needs doctor's appointments, who needs scentists appointments, who the doctor and dentist are, and how to go about making them, and the other parents tends to be the one who says, I'll do anything to help, just let me know what I need to do. So it becomes like the household manager or the CEO and the assistant that they delegate things to on an as needed basis. All right, so it's a power and balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so give me the give me the numbers here. How often does fall on mom?
Speaker 9: You know, it's interesting because it frequently historically has fallen on mom, and I would say that it still typically does. But in same sex couples when they have children, there may be two moms, or that may be no mom, and so it tends to fall on one parent more than the other, and if we think about it, historically, it used to be true that generally speaking, one parent worked outside the home and the other parent managed the home and the children. Now we typically have both parents working outside the home at least part time, and still the vast majority of the child and home life management falls on one of those parents.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. An interesting thing in a dynamic is that I grew up in that. My mom was stay at home mom, raised your kids, love my mom. And my dad would be working in sometimes multiple jobs. He was a hustler. I learned that from him. Great work ethic my dad had. And now you know, hey, the glass ceiling is broken and women are getting theirs and women are actually succeeding at greater rates than men, and so you'd think this model would change where now okay, hey, you know it's more dad, and we live in this age and today where men are more accepting and going. You know what, Women in the workplace is a wonderful thing. I benefit from it. I'm none of my friends benefit from it. I'm very rarely do I have a friend where it's just one person stays home. That seems to be rather antiquated and quaint, But I thought for sure that the task of child raising and home management would be split. But it's not.
Speaker 9: No, it actually has shifted very little. It actually has shifted very little. So women have an entire and I'm talking about heterosexual marriages here, typically speaking, women have an entire second shift that becomes managing the house, running the children places, managing the running of the children places, hiring the home help if there is home help, training the home help, like training the sitter or the nanny or the housekeeper, and managing all of that. And men still in a heterosexual relationship tend to fall into the going to work, managing the yard, the cars, and the home.
Speaker 10: Maintenance kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: But when it comes to the running of the family's life, and those are not unnecessary or unimportant things, so make no mistake. But when it comes to running the home and the family life, they take a backseat. And they frequently say, and I see this in my office all the time. They frequently say, all she has to do is ask me for help. I'll do anything she tells me to or asks me to. All she has to do is u And the women in this case say, I don't want to have to ask. He walks by the overflowing laundry basket ten times a day, a load in right, Well, he sees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I will be somewhat defensive here and say sometimes and you may hear this in your practice too, Julie Hatish. Here is that a guy go, well, you know, I'll jump in and do something, and then I might get in trouble because I'm doing it wrong or it's not the way she would do it. And I, you know, it's kind of like, well, if I volunteer, it's wrong because I should just lean in and accept responsibility, just take over. But if I start doing that, she's going to feel like her domain is threatened and I'm doing it wrong. And so that's another So damn if I do damned if I don't. How common is that?
Speaker 10: Exactly? Pretty common? Pretty common?
Speaker 9: And for one thing, there's this concept of weaponized incompetence that we may talk about on a future show in greater detail, but basically, people who don't, people who don't want to do something that they are being asked to do, do it badly so that then the person asking says, oh my gosh, it's just so.
Speaker 10: Much easier if I do it myself. And so then they get out of having to do it.
Speaker 9: I'm not saying that's always happening, it is a thing, But in this shifting dynamic, we the dominant parent, the default parent, has been the one who has thought this is their actual job. So if somebody comes in and starts to take their job away, of course they're going to be a little personicity about how it gets sat right and maybe.
Speaker 10: A little reluctance to let go.
Speaker 9: If you've ever had to delegate part of your actual job to somebody else, certainly you kind of micromanaged for a while and maybe been unhappy with how they did it, even though it got done. And so the default parent, if they want the other parent to step up, they have to learn to step back. And so when I talk to my clients about this, it's not just the one parent stepping in, but it's the other allowing that to happen. It's coming to some agreement about what, for example, a clean bathroom looks like, and then taking your hands off the wheel and letting the other parent clean the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Right, You've got to relinquish that control. And I could sometimes in life because I'm kind of control thinking I would be guilty of Dad's like, well, I want to help, and I do it it's not right, so yeah, well what the hell do you want me to do? And dummy, you know I want to help, and now I'm afraid to ask because you know you'll be offended. But if I don't, then you're still upset. So yeah, I can't win.
Speaker 9: It sometimes takes a little navigating and a little negotiation to get to a place where both people feel good about what they're doing, but the benefits to relationships and the benefits to children in those relationships far out weigh the struggle to get there. It's incredibly important for both people to feel like they have a partner in this life, because really, when we look at two income households and children doing as many things as most kids do these days, and the demands that perhaps older parents or other family members put on us, we need to share the load much more equally than we do whether you're a same sex household or an opposite sex household. But also, kids need to see that both parents participate in their lives. They need to see that dad and mom, or mom and mom, or dad and dad can take me to the doctor nowhere I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there just one parent I can go to for these things. I have two adults in my life who care about me and are engaged and involved.
Speaker 1: It's called default parent syndrome and it's the source of a lot of marital strife and divorces for that matter. Or Juliettershare, a licensed mental health therapist on the show It's Mental Health Monday with Julie on seven hundred w W Scott's Loan Show, and this I could totally make sense because the issue is the fact that, hey, you know what, we're married and we're sharing this, but I'm burnt out because I feel I'm working, but I'm also being the manager of the household as well, and I feel like instead of maybe two kids, I have three if you include my significant other. I'm sure it does happen where you know, men are involved in that too, but largely it has done about eighty percent on moms and the female in the house. Unfortunately that hasn't changed too much. So how do you fix this?
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, you recognize that it's a real problem. And when I get people in my office and the man says, you know, I'll do anything that she tells me or asked me too.
Speaker 10: I say, if you had.
Speaker 9: An employee who only did exactly what you asked when you asked, and only that one time, would you keep that employee around? And they typically say no, And I say, well, welcome to her world. Because if she has to ask you every time to take the trash out, or every time to do the laundry er, every time to pick up the kids after school, then she's having to manage you and everything else she's having to manage. So bringing awareness to it, making the invisible visible, making the implicit explicit, letting people know the amount of work that goes into managing a family's life, and then helping the woman put in this case in a heterosexual relationship, helping the default parent back off and transfer responsibility and let the consequences fall where the consequences fall, So not reminding the other parent to check the entire soccer bag and if the kid gets there and they don't have their shin guards, well what's that parent going to do? So allowing the consequences to happen so that people can see what needs to occur on the front end. Sometimes we learn best by consequences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how do you make someone suffer those consequences? What does that look like? It's like, okay, well we're going to agree to do this, and if you don't, then what happens? I mean, how do you get that other person to.
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 9: In my example, then the kid goes to the game without the shin guards. And when I'm talking to couples about this, I will say, okay, so if the default parent died tomorrow, would you make sure your kid had shin guards? And if your kid didn't have shin guards for the soccer game, would you figure something out? Would you leave them there with another parent and go buy a pair? Would you see if you can borrow some from the team from someone else on the team.
Speaker 10: What would you do?
Speaker 9: So empowering the non default parent to step in in problem solve something They may not have had to step in problem solve before because it's been taken care of on the front end. But if that other parent weren't there, right, if that other parent weren't there and they got to the game without a water bottle or a soccer shin guards or whatever, they have to figure something out. And part of it is the default parent then stepping back and letting that happen, letting that occur, and letting the kid and the parent in this case figure it out. So the natural consequences of not being prepared on the front end are you've got to figure something out on the back end, and once you do that once or twice, you're not going to be doing that again.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also a good lesson for the kid, right, I mean, and if it's if it's a four or five year old, much different than than an eight or ten year old. I mean, by eight, nine, ten, you should be remember to bring your own bad or your glove or your shin guards. It's on you.
Speaker 9: Exactly exactly, And so that teaches cooperation and empowerment to everyone involved. But if the default parent tries too hard to prevent anything from going wrong, then the non default parent doesn't really learn how to manage when things do go wrong, and they do. It's just natural.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a little bit of this play maybe on that default parent.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't say blame, I'd say responsibility. They both share responsibility, the default parent overfunctions and the non default parent under functions. And you can't just ask one to step up. You also have to ask the other to step back and give them concrete ways to do that.
Speaker 10: Because when you shift.
Speaker 9: That power imbalance and it becomes more fluid and more equitable, everybody wins. The non default parent steps in and has many more rich and full experiences with their kids than they would otherwise have had. And I've got a personal story about this. When I did grad school, my kids were young, and my then husband worked a very busy, very demanding job, and my grad school schedule did not coordinate very well.
Speaker 10: With my kids' school schedules.
Speaker 9: So he had to be much more on point in the afternoons and evenings when I was in school for two years than he had had to be before, and he juggled his life around to make that happen. And at the end of my school he said those were some of the two best years of his life. He had no idea how much he was missing when he was not with the boys, and he had no idea how much better their relationship would be as a result of that, and he was grateful.
Speaker 10: For that time. But had that not happened, we would.
Speaker 9: Have continued on with him coming home in the evenings and being home on the weekends and me doing the vast majority of the work during.
Speaker 1: The week Oh wow yeah, and sometimes think, okay, well, I've got really stressful at work, but you don't put yourself because you think it's an easy job being the manager of the household. And that's not true at all, Julie, Before I let you go, sadly, we know that money is the biggest driver of divorce in America. It's always been. That's the constant behind that maybe in Fidelli, but what does this rate?
Speaker 10: It's right now, it's right up there. In my practice.
Speaker 9: I don't know the national statistics, but I will tell you in my practice, a lot of people, men and women, are fed up with doing all of the work and essentially being a single parent in a two parent home, and when they can't get their partners on board, they're cutting out because they're saying, if I have to be a single parent, I may as well actually be a single parent and only have to do it part of the time, because then the other part of the time, my partner's with the kids and I get a little bit of a break. So it's on the rise.
Speaker 1: May have money and infidelity, I get those, but this one bothers me deeply because you're throwing a relationship away, love away because of basically schedules of modern society and.
Speaker 9: An unwillingness on either one or both partner's parts to shift the relationship dynamic enough to make it work for both. So therapy helps. I always say therapy helps, but recognizing that if you want somebody to step up, you also have to step back and not be hypercritical of how they do the job and not micromanage how they do the job.
Speaker 10: That's important too.
Speaker 1: She's Julie Hattershare, our license mental health therapist right here in Cincy, and it's Mental Health Monday with Julie Hattershare, and she joins this time, have week got a idea for maybe a future topic. It's Hey, Julie at B connected to od care the letter B connected dot care and you can reach out to her directly. We'll talk next week. You have a great one. Thanks again, good.
Speaker 10: Stuff, Thank you, take care, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: News is on the way in just seconds here on seven hundred ww W. In return, she's Councilmember Anna Alby appearing on the show for the first time since he has a crime plan. Well that's good because we need one. Last night, the Bay Horse Cafe, which I frequent I'm downtown. Love that bar got shot up in another drive by that consecutive sundays we had something like that happen. What's the plan stand next seven hundred WWT Cincinnati. It'slani here back on seven hundred ww Sadly two Sunday nights in a row gunfire in the area around aeronoff the air and off. Last night. I was just down there for a wedding on Saturday out that way, and so last night bullets flew through the front of the Bay Horse Caf. I love the Bay Horse Cafe, by the way, there's something about the Neon Horse, and it's just a cool vibe inside that bar. But I was shocked to see plywood on the windows this morning. And this after city leaders rolled out a new plan, the latest plan to combat shootings. Let's not forget we had two Sunday in s in a row bullet shot around where people are gathering. I think it was like just after eleven o'clock at night, and they just had a new plan unveiled to combat crime, particularly youth violence and everything else downtown. And she was part of this and that would be council Member Anna Alby on the Scottslane Show, I believe for the first time on seven hundred wlw welcome. It's great to have you.
Speaker 3: Oh, good morning. Thank you so much. I appreciate the insight and I'm glad to be here with you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really hard. I think you said too. It's like, you know, you're not going to solve this with one bit of an idea or legislation or whatever it is. It's an ongoing battle because people going to shoot, right. And it's true because I know you rolled out the act plan where we had that space over a year ago. Right, all of a sudden, you got all these adolescents that have guns and they're shooting each other. You had what three or four people under fourteen dine accidental shoot and everything else. And it's just it's a sad, sad thing. But that was the old plan and now we have a new plan and so we just I think to maybe people listening, it feels like we're just cadding, adding more plans and the feel is we're not making progress. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Well, I think this isn't necessarily new plan, but part of it so let me take a step back and just talk big picture for a second. You know, tackling gun violence or any kind of violence. You know, it's got to be a multifaceted approach, right, We got to look at everything from you know, how are we supporting law enforcement making sure we've got boots on the ground there, to how are we providing those fostering safe communities right making sure people housing, access to food, good paying jobs, all of that. So you mentioned it already expercinity, so that stands for achieving change together. So we rolled that out January, I want to say this year, and there's kind of five main pillars there. The first one is thriving neighborhoods Again, how do we make places in Cincinnati safe for people to be whether that's you know, there mayos or being able to go down to the garden, you know, the pocket garden on this corner or whatever. The second part is reducing access of guns for kids, and I want to make sure we talk about this a little bit more because that is a big challenge right now. The next two makes sense. It's improving well being and improving youth support. So making sure we're providing folks access to not just mental health, but like emotional well being, especially folks who've been impacted by trauma in the past, and then improving youth support. The emphasis there is how do we give kids safe places to be in safe adults to be with, So you can think of Boys and Gholst Club or other organizations like what Mitch Morris does to give kids safe places to be after school and on weekends. And the last piece is evidence based policing. I think that one's pretty makes a lot of sense, right. We understand what that means and how we let data drive the process. So what we talked about are introduced last week around some of the tactics we're going to be already are Sipploying Downtown really roll up into one or many of those buckets, right, So evidence at based policing we talked about we're going to have drones now that are going to be able to help augment our first responders and get there quickly. We're going to have a roving task force that can really focus on hot spots in the community that we're going to have shots. We're going to be expanding Shot Spotter and that comes with a lot of great information on the back end because that connects to our Crime Gun Intelligence Center, so there's a lot there. And then you know, we talked about the reducing access of guns for kids. A big problem right now is that people are leaving their guns unsecured in their car, and kids are breaking in stealing a gun and leaving a gun under the front seat of your driver, you know, of the car just isn't a safe place for it. So that's one big message I want to make sure we share with all our responsible gun owners that yeah, you're gun with you in the car, it's got to be locked in.
Speaker 1: And I will say this as a responsible gun owner that if I'm carrying I have a lock box, make sure I have a lock box for that weapon. Knowing people are breaking into cars and stealing those, well, now, could they cut the cable or what it possibly, But it's gonna it's going to dissuade something. I'm doing the best I can, right And I think maybe you know our gun laws too. At times I look at it going, well, there's a lot of most areas you can't carry a gun, and so you have no choice. You hear these stories about shootings and drive buys and all this nonsense Downtown is noise Downtown and OTR and Patrick Herringer, and it makes more people want to carry It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If I'm coming downtown because I want to spend my money enjoy my city, which I love so much, I feel maybe I have to protect myself because of these stories that I hear. But then I can't take it anywhere, and I've got to leave it in the car, which is It's like it's it's cyclical, is what it is. And it's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again you know, if you, if any responsible guner wants to carry their firearms, that is their right, especially in Ohio, but you can't take it into like a Bengals game or Reds game. And that's what we're thinking of those major events. That's where I really am trying to work with Susini Sweet as well as the groups that can offer rate our garages to make sure we're emphasizing that Walck box piece. So I'm going to be actually meeting with the CPD later today and we're going to be talking about a new parking lot of assessments where we're going to be looking at the security around some of these parking lots and emphasizing, hey, you got to lock up your things. Not only is a safety piece, right, having easy access to guns and the streets, you make our streets more dangerou especially if their hands to kids. Also, like someone wants to come and have their window broken in on their car and their firearm, which costs lots of money stolen, right, So we really want to do what we can here, and so I'm leaving a whole action peed dedicated to securifyarm storage to really get this message out as bes we can.
Speaker 1: Two years ago, the big concern was community guns, and that is a gun left in a neighborhood, everyone knows where it is. Kids are getting the gun, committing crimes or accidentally shooting each other, whatever might be, because you know the gun is and multiple people use that gun, multiple hands on that gun. And now it's about stolen guns and more guns on the street that way. It seems like they just keep finding a better way, I guess, to get guns they shouldn't have in the first place. To me, the lock boxing comes back. It sounds like legislation is forthcoming on this and saying listen, if you carry a gun and leave in your cards and it's not locked up. There's a penalty for that. Am I wrong rereading the tea leaves there?
Speaker 3: Oh Man Scott? I wish that were true, but unfortunately our state has passed what it's called a pre empsine law that prevents local municipalities from passing any type of gun laws. In fact, in twenty twenty three, we tried to require secure firm storage specifically when kids are around, and unfortunately lost that case. The state stud us and we lost that case in court last year. And I think this is a broader point, which is the state of Ohio has passed, you know, dangerous gun laws repeatedly in loosen gun regulations, which has really led to a proliferation and guns on our streets because right now in Ohio, you can buy a gun, no background, teck, no permit, no training, no nothing, and go out and carry it to field weapons in our neighborhoods. And that just makes it more dangerous when we've got like kind of the Wild West of guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the mistake, of course is there's it seems like every area I can't carry my weapon in, so why bring it in the first place? But he do it's in the car. I think there's also got to be responsibility on the part of the gun owner to lock their stuff up. If you can afford the bullets in the eight nine, you know, seven eight hundred dollars gun, you can afford a lock box or that thing. But again, it's the burden being on the good guys opposed to the bad guy, because let's face it, there are people out there that will run with impunity. I think there's also a cultural element here, Anna, I'll be I'll go back to the Ryan the Ryan Hinton shooting, and you know, we always talk about culture, culture, culture, but this one to me to see people that say that Ryan Hint was done dirty because he was shot and he wasn't pointing that gun at cops, I mean, I just don't understand how members of a community can think that it's that somehow he was wronged by being shot near those dumpsters. That if you run with a gun in your hand and you're in the police, you're going to get shot. That's what's going to happen. Now, you may live, Ryan hidden did not, but his three buddies live to get caught by police and spend time in jail. They're not dead, They're alive because they didn't pick up the other gun that was in the car. I just don't understand. These aren't kids. These are adults that are interpreting this. And then kids would listen go yeah, they're right. In what world is it that it's okay for someone who is being pursued by police to hold a gun in his hand and run anywhere near them. That's insane to me that that people still make excuses for his behavior. That's also part of the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the whole Ryan's hinting situations absolutely tragic from beginning to end. And but for me, you know, if you think about bigger picture, I don't know Ryan's full life story, but as I think about use in our city, it's how can we support them with that safe neighborhood?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: You heard me talk about safe places, safe spaces, and that's why you mentioned earlier the idea. A couple of years ago, we saw big spike in gun violence, both with kids being shot and being the shooters. So the city has really poured a lot of time, effort, resources into tackling youth gun violence and use violence, whether that's from being able to fund our community partners who are providing those safe places to programs like we've got the teen Skate Night down it toward your point right now every Friday night and Recot Night, our award winning record night every Saturday night in Avondale and the West End, where we're giving kids from five o'clock to I think eleven a safe place to be where they can come get their haircut, they can come get their nails done, there's food, fun activities, and again, how can we get kids into that space? How can we give kids a pathway into goods, paying stable jobs, especially once who are looking to provide for their families. And that's the bigger environmental piece of how do we create safe communities where people are being paid enough to afford a roof over their head, fresh food on the table, and access to healthcare because fundamentally, that's what it means to have united safety to me, right, we can add in the law enforcement keep part of it as well, but those basic needs are just so foremost important to all of that.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: She is a council member and I'll be on Scott's own show seven hundred WWD talking about the crime planet came out in this on the heels of the last two Sunday nights, we've had shootings in high profile places. Last night it was right in front of the Bay Horse Cafe. The windows are shattered. At least one window shattered there in a shooting just after eleven o'clock as the city and this had be a council member alb Scottie Johnson, but also the police chief and the mayor having a press conference with a new plan that come up with a roving task force and a drawn program and business partnerships and parking, a lot of security, youth crime focus, one hundred and fifty plus officers approved for next year's budget, all steps in the right direction as we talk about solving this problem in the short term too, at least trying to tamp this thing down because the perception is there's a lot of areas of Cincinnati that are unsafe. That may be true at times. For sure, OTR crime is through the roof year over year, and it's up to police to make sure they crack down in those areas. You know, one other thing I wanted to bring up too, Anaholbe, is the ankle monitor thing. You know, the youth crime focus is there. We're going to get into prontal accountabilit which you're can talk to in a second. More and I love more youth services. If you can people can play, well, why do we keep having these programs? Well, if you can get some of these young people diverted and off the street into something that's engaging, that's less chance for them to commit a crime. I understand that. I appreciate that the cutting off there, and you mentioned jobs too, I think it's a big component. I'm a huge advocate for the construction industry and would love to hire as many folks like that as possible. And you want to talk about life changing jobs, but and they're out there, it's just you have to seize that opportunity. I think there's a huge disconnect. But relative to the ankle monitors too, one of the things that bothers me is that someone can cut off ankle monitors and still be on the loose. And we've seen that recently, but even going back to twenty twenty four with the youth violence, we had a number offenders that simply cut their ankle bracelet off and there's there's no repercussion for that. That's got to stop.
Speaker 3: Well, man, I mean, my heart breaks for for for Para Harring and her family, and I think you know, my heart's absolutely breaks. But part of what's come out of this and her advocacy has been identifying a system breakdown. And you know, the mayor has been very vocal on this really tracking down where the disconnect was, and there are going to be reforms there already are reforms in place because you're right, that was that was a gap. You know, we need to be alerted at the local level if something like that happens, so we can activate and really make sure we track down that that individual. So that that is one big step forward that we're taking, and it starts with the state level and the full board and all of that, but that really support us here locally as we try to keep folks safe, because it should should not take a death or a tragedy like that to shine a light on this this gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get that there's program to support and also to steer youth in the right direction. But back to Sarah hand She, I'm sure you saw the feed here on our Facebook feed mention what you're talking about here and the press conference who renounced all this and said they didn't present new solutions, they didn't take accountability. They threw out program names like shot spot and the Pivot program, but there's zero public data proving these initiatives are effective. They keep funding them anyway because it looks like action. It's not strategy, it's optics. What do you say to people like Sarah and others who feel like and even those members of the Cinnati Police Department. Quite honestly, I talked to off the record and they're like, we're frustrated. This place is a mess right now. It's all about these you know, feel good policies and no one wants to take action. Actually, sadly, we're gonna have to crack some heads, get more cops on the streets and go after really bad offenders and throw the book at them and make sure it sticks.
Speaker 3: Well, I think again, there's not one magic wand solution. If there were, we would be doing in cinematics. So with every place in the United States, right, that's just the matters. But we got to do all of the things right, So when it comes to more officers on the street, yeah, we're working on it, right. It is a shame that council City councils before my time, Uh, you have didn't invest in police recruit classes, and now we are trying to make up that gap you mentioned earlier. We've got you know, two classes of a fifty new recruits plus a new lateral class that we've approuved for next year, and that's to get more officers onto the streets. Supporting people in the lateral class just for background through your listeners, right, that's pulling officers from nearby municipalities, putting them through a kind of shortened training that's Cincinnati specific, so they understand what we do at CPD, but getting them on the streets faster with experience. Right, these are officers coming in with years under their belt. So do that piece as well as the you know, following the data. And uh, you know, the thing about shots Spotter which I mentioned earlier is like we're able to use the evidence too with shotspotters that sees into our Crime Gun Intelligence Center, the DIGI, which is a partnership with local law enforcement agencies here, but as well as the ATS right the FED where we actually are you know, tracking the ballistics off of you know, the shelves to be able to see exactly Hey, was the same gun used in this shooting over here, that was using this shooting over here over here to do really directed investigations to track down active shooters. And we know that in the city of Cincinnati, the majority of the geographic area states Right. In March March, I think it was when CPD came to council, which presents, you know, kind of the crime stats, to debate one of the one of the maps they shared showed that it's only a high percent of the city's geographic area that contains these increased rates of violent crime and shooting victims.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So that's why you hear us talk so much about the place based problem solving is right, because we want to go to those hot spots. And that's exactly what pivot is. You go to the hot spot and you try to figure out, Okay, what's happening in this spot which is making it a place where crime is happening. And some of it could be you know, some economics, environmental factors, and some things are like okay, we need to get like lights on the street, we need to increase patrols, we need to have cameras. Right, it's the crime prevention through environmental design, and I.
Speaker 1: Think the I think the drone program is good. I mean that's using that's leveraging technology to help stop, prevent or solve crimes. For sure, she is council Member Anna Alby, and I enjoyed the conversation, the discussion. Hope to have you back sometime soon.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Take care b well, thank you so much, council Member Alby. It's a Scott Sloan show. News is coming up in just seconds here in the very latest, and then we'll get to a Jeff Carr lockdown. Reds. We look at the weekend series. They sat not only salvage, they came storming back after the nearly no hitter on Friday and then yesterday's comebacker to win in the ninth inning and walk off fashion. How good are the Reds now heading into Boston. We'll talk about all that more just ahead on seven hundred WW. I'stracting with Scott Floone on seven hundred w l WW Monday morning, a little Reds recap, but look weak aheader and it's a big one too for the Reds because, as you know, they're little in the teeth of this thing. You got at Fenway starting tonight here on the Home of the Red seven hundred ww get one off day. Then it's Philly at Citizens Bank Park. These are some tough outs coming up for this ball club. It's a critical stretch right now. The Reds though one another series come back bottom of the ninth they walk it off three two now five game backs. Are the Cubbies two and a half back in the wild card, I believe, and that means they have one if I'm not wrong on this one. Jeffrey Carr of Lockdown Reds, the only daily Reds podcast, That would be six of their last seven series the Reds have won. That's pretty high, Cotton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have been playing super well and it's been that late game comeback that they've seemingly added to their arsenal that they didn't have before. Yeah. Yeah, Sure, they're doing some really good things on the lineup side of things, Tony, and they're really coming together at an important time. I mean, like you said, the teeth of the schedule, they can just remain what they're at and then they take a run against the Rockies and the Marlins before the All Star break. They're going to be cooking with gad.
Speaker 1: Let's see what happens there real quick before again yesterday's three two walk off when the Reds finding out in the world finding out Dave Parker passing away at the age of seventy four, just missing his induction to the Hall of Fame. He said he's had the speech written for a while. I would have loved to hear that, but sadly that passed away with him. The Cobra was absolutely fantastic. I remember seeing him at Riverfront and then when I lived for I think a year and a half in Milwaukee, he was with the Brewers near the end of his career and I saw him trying to leg out a double. He was safe, but the cloud of dust created when that man slid into second is probably still hovering somewhere over Milwaukee County, if not. Kenosha.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I love looking back on some old highlights like that of Dave Parker, because that's the guy that I think. He's just another case that baseball just isn't that great at celebrating its history at the right time. He absolutely deserved his day that he would have hearing about a month, but they waited far too long to put him into the hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kremlin, it really is. If anything, the fact that he would take his warm ups with a sledgehammer, that's something you just don't see anymore.
Speaker 4: Sledge that that's like different, Like you know, you always talk about it. Man, a guy can do the ball a country mile least country strong, Dave Parker was something even passed that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: The fielding too, and you've all seen and I remember watching it as a little kid in seventy to seventy nine All Star Game. Ball hit down was a rice hit. The ball on the right field line kind of bounces between was Joe Morgan I think was out, and the ball bounced up and Dave ran backwards, caught it, fired the ball through him out of third base. One of the best All Star plays, probably right up there with Pete Rose and Ray Fosse.
Speaker 4: He is. The things that he did in his career are just, I mean absolutely worthy of Cooperstown. I think it's crazy that it's taken this long to get.
Speaker 1: Him, and that arm was unbelievable. All right, So yesterday the Reds, by the way, going into this see I watched the podcast oh for thirty four going to yesterday when trailing after eight, Will Benson changed at yesterday walk off bottom of the ninth the down two two to one, they somehow come up with two runs in the eighth. Ellie gets on steer his an RBI and all of a sudden it's tied. And then Will Benson doubles the lead. And here's the thing, Will Benson in the previous ab he doubled the lead off, nobody could drive him. And I'm listening to his game driving back from visiting my wife's parents yesterday, and I'm like pounding the steering wheel, going, how the hell can you lead off with the double and not drive the guy in.
Speaker 4: I was right there with you. I mean, as much as he tried, he seemingly just had no help there in the eighth inning. But it was great that he came up with runners on in the ninth inning so that he could He just looked really good at the plate yesterday. He was seeing his pitch as well. But that whole ninth inning was just full of really good at bats. Whether you look at Will Benson's single that walked off the game, or you see Gavin Lux's walk where he saw the before him and Austin Hayes that Austin Hayes never saw a strike, and Hayes was going up there. He was aggressive. He wanted to bring Ellie home and tie the game. And Robert Suarez, the closer for the Padres, knew that, so he didn't give him anything to swing at, and yet Hayes still ended up getting himself out. So then Gavin Lux was daring him to throw a strike. He didn't. He gets on first and Ellie does a cruiz though to lead off that. In my goodness, he has had some amazing at bats here recently that have shown me. And we've talked a lot about Ellie this year, obviously with good reason. He's the best player on this team, but his renaissance this year and really what's gotten him to the point that he's at has been his plate discipline and his growth in pitch recognition. And he was on full display yesterday with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looked really really good and just watching and I think the other element here too, I was talking about, you know, all the a and being able to get this thing done in the end, and Will Benson's double is that the guy's mc kind of quiet and just having a hell of a couple of weeks has been Spencer Steer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been coming up with clutch hits. Every time you need him to get a single, he's been dropping that in and then of course on Friday he's like, I'm done hitting singles. Let's hit a couple of homers and his three home runs in one game and had a chance at a fourth. He just ended up striking out in that fourth at that But I've been very impressed with his turnaround. That's been the biggest key for how this Red's lineup has really looked a lot better is that Matt McClain is looking more like himself. He's still not all the way back yet, but he's looking a lot more like himself. And Spencer Steer has regained his composure as that steadying force in the five or six spot in the lineup.
Speaker 1: What McClay do this series, I didn't see it because for a while, I mean, he got hot and then he cooled off again, and it talk about up and down with this guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was pretty why in this one not the best of the series, but it's still looking like you sitting the ball really well. I'm not worried that he's going to fall back to where he was. He just hadn't quite continue that tourd base against all Right.
Speaker 1: Well you hope, so you hope that's the case. Anyway, He's Jeff Carvery Monday morning. We chop up the series the past. But look, I've had done and you've got big ones coming up here in just a second. But Red's win another series at six of their last seven. If you're County and they're just man, they're hanging on. We're waiting for teams ahead of them to stubble in the Chicago lost yesterday as well, so they're they're kind of hanging in there too. And it's it's pretty condensed in the NL Central I and they still got a shot here. For those saying, hey, you're two and a half wild card games back, I don't know, You've got a whole second half of baseball to play here. And it's not like they're the pirates at this point, right, you're only five out.
Speaker 4: Right in the Central itself. I mean even the Brewers lost yesterday and a walk off to the Rockies and extra endies by the way, game winning hit by Kyle Farmer in that one by Red. You know he's still helping out Cincinnati, and though he's not on the Reds, but also, I mean you mentioned the Pirates that he actually did the Reds a big favor this weekend too by beating up on the Mets. There's definitely a few teams in the wildcard race that you know, we're sort of looking ahead and there's plenty of time left to build a wildcard resume. But the Reds are only a game and a half out of a wildcard spot because of the work they did against the Padres. And oh, by the way, the Pirates are helping him out by beating up on the Mets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've been remiss too.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Saturday's loss, I think Andrew Rabbits deserved better because he pitched a pretty good game to a chance to win Saturday in the nine Spencer Steer at the play two runners on and you know, as you said, he struck out. They lose at six to four. But on Friday Night, that was something special to see Martinez with a no hitter through eight and that's a guy that really needed to have a good game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy to think the workload that he's been doing this past really it was just eight days pitched four times and eight days. On June nineteenth, he barely got you know, I mean, he didn't get out of the thirty and he was pitching horrible. He was getting absolutely clobbered, and so Terry Francona and then came up with a plan where he was going to pitch out of the bullpen for a couple of days to maybe like that something in his mind. And kudos to them, it worked because then he gets his longest start of his career, throws the most pitches he's ever thrown in one start on Friday night there, and that was something to see because he is the kind of guy like if he is going to go and if he's going to be a good starting pitcher for the rest of this year, then that is really where you're excited about this rotation, because we know that the top end is amazing once Hunter Green returns, and Andrew Abbott has joined on the top end conversation of this rotation, and even Niiclodola is starting to look a lot better here recently. But if you can keep Nick Martinez at a reasonably high level of performance, then this rotation one through five is going to be a problem for any team. They face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question about it. So Red's get it done against San Diego. Now they're off today obviously, or tonight rather, and then they're off on the Thursday. I got to point out too, and I asked this of Austin Olmore on Friday. I'll ask you this. Jeff Carr locked on Reds about the Candelario deal getting dfa'ed yesterday, not a shock because he had been abysmal here, who's a bismal and he was sent down no reason to keep him and finally even Bobcastling himself signed off on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that it's interesting here that the Reds are going completely on merit, and I think that that is pointing back to Tito Francona, because he said at the beginning of the year, you earn your spot, nothing is given, and quite frankly, the Reds of old would say, well, we've given Jamier Candelario a big contract, so he has earned the right to be on this team. And I love that that has changed, because the Reds had to sign over quite a chunk of change to watch him walk away, and he's going to obviously get picked up on a veteran minimum by somebody else, but nobody was going to pick up that contract and take that off the Red's hands. And now the Reds are on the hook for that deal. But it looks like the Reds are serious about being a confident ball club on the field, not worried about money, not worried about you know, if you're manipulating service time of a minor league or something like that, and you're not going to just tread this guy out there that Quite frankly, we have always like squinted really hard to try and see any evidence of a bounce back. Even since he began here in Cincinnati. It's just not been a good tour of duty for Jamercambellario, great American ballparker.
Speaker 1: Well, the message is, listen, we may be paying you, but it's a new air. We're not going to keep you because you know we're paying you a lot of money. We're locked up. The old Reds would have done that, I think under Tito, and you're right about that. We're starting to see that change, and you wonder too, and it grants some very small sample size and this is kind of clickbaity, but look at Nick Martinez twenty one million dollars last few games, hasn't played, but he's will to do anything to win, and he comes out and pitches nearly a no hitter on Friday night. Matt McClain struggling at the plate mightily, but I mean, look what he provides for you defensively, you wouldn't want anyone else playing second base rather Matt McLean at this point. So I think the message is sent to the other players, like, you know, we're paying you, You got to do your job. Otherwise we've got to move somebody out. We got to move you out.
Speaker 4: Got to perform, I think, And I think this is the part where we were really excited about Terry Francona. Like I know that there's been a lot of criticism of different choices that he has made, but it's clear that through his career as a manager, he has demonstrated in ability to just pool the right strings with the right guys at the right time. And the Reds haven't had a manager like that in a very long time. And I think that we're beginning to see it now. That's why we're seeing this turnaround. That's why people are watching this team and looking a little bit closer and saying, you know what. I think there's something here, and the move of getting rid of Candelario, the move of calling up Chase Burns, and all of this is starting to point to, Okay, the Reds are trying to put their best twenty six guys on the field. Now, let's see what they can do in the draft and what they can do in the trade.
Speaker 1: Devil hell of a week coming up here, Jeff Carr. Tonight three at Boston, and yeah, I share the Boston Red Sox are what three something games below five hundred, I believe, not not very good, But that's at Fenway and that will get me your head. And then you have one off night on Thursday, and then you go play the best team in the NL East, and that would be the Phillies. This is a really, really tough test this week for the Reds. Well, I think it at the end of this week, when we talk next Monday, we'll know what we got.
Speaker 4: Right, I think. So. I've been very happy with how they've played though this gauntlet of the schedule that they've already had. We've mentioned a couple of times, six out of seven series that's not against the Pirates and the Rockies and the Marlans and the Nationals and the worst of the worst. It's against the best of the best. I mean, we're talking about some really good opponents here, and I think that there's something about this team, and as frustrating as it is, when they play the dredges of the league, they're just as the opposite against the powers of the league, they seem to rise to that occasion. So that's definitely going to be something that we're hoping to see over these next seven days, because the dredges of the league come to the come to the Reds the following week with the Marlins and the Rockies. So it's like, if you can just continue to play how you've been playing, if you can win one of these two series against the Red Sox and the Phillies and then you can make some hay and finally beat the teams that you need to beat next week, you can go into the All Star Game. Dare I say over you know, six seven games, over five hundred. That sounds like a pipe dream. Yeah, that's the way that this team's played.
Speaker 1: And I at of the Cubs are running away with this thing at all. They're stretches where they're just outright abysmal. Unfortunately, we haven't faced them Sayson. And when, as you said, when the Reds play the Cubs Saint Louis Milwaukee, they underperform. That that's I think the next big We know they can beat really good teams. We've seen that happen before, the Yankees are in town, the Detroit Tigers at the Cleveland Guardians, what taple with San Diego. But when you get the teams that are floating around five hundred sub five hundred for some reason they struggle, I think like that that's the next big hurdle they have to overcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that there's a lot of what we have seen here recently, Like Sunday was not a good game as it were, it's just the Reds got that win, and they need more games like that because they're not always going to have their best stuff. They're not always going to play perfect ball. But over these past couple of years, when they haven't played perfect ball, they've lost, and now we're starting to see them get some some ugly wins. That's how you win division ball games, Like it's really rare that the Reds play a perfect game against their division rivals and that's why they have struggled so much against the Brewers and the Cardinals and the Cubs over the last couple of years. That's where we will see this team turn it around, especially you know, coming up here against this Red Sox scene that, like you said, they're hugging around five hundred. So there might be an since to look at the schedule and say, Okay, well this team, maybe they aren't that great. We can relax a little bit. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: You see the progress. You see the progress, right, is that bad base ranging? Okay? Kind of fix that seventh, eighth, ninth inning. Reds could not get it done. They thought they fixed that. Can't come from behind. They're starting to fix that. You kind of see it slowly morphing into something that we expected now for the last couple of years, and that is competent baseball. We'll find out what happens. Hell of a test coming up tonight. We got Boston on the road at Fennoy and of course we'll have a call for you here on the home of the Red seven hundred w But he's Jeff Carr locked on Reds. He pops in every Monday morning, the only daily Red's past cast. Check him out where you get your podcasts, of course on YouTube as well.
Speaker 4: Jeff all the best, Buddy, Well, I appreciate you. Go Red and.
Speaker 1: Willie is on the way. Next to quick news update, Quick quick quick news update after reds round up the Cowboy, and then as I said, Billy takes over at twelve oh six here on the home of those Red seven hundred ww since the nont