Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome to Eyes on Geopolitical Podcast. I'm Jack Murphy and today Dimitri is out because he got something eating at the buffet. So he's sitting upon the throne holding on for dear life as we speak. But we got a great cast of characters here today, joined by Mick mulroy, Mark Palmeropolis and John Hackett. Really happy to have all of you guys back on the show. Thanks for coming on a Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Good beer, great to be here.
Speaker 3: Poor d what the heck? I hope he's got a nice good day. You needs Greek food. I was in a Greek food he he's a little bidet with a little hot water splashing and you know, won't get irritated.
Speaker 1: A little slap and tickle. He'll be fine.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So on the agenda today, unless you know, any of you guys have things you'd like to add. I got Iran. The ceasefire is ending, I think in a week, talk about foreign intel services, who's better than who? And the story that came out this week about the CIA starting up some sort of Cuba task force. So I don't know, do we want to start at the top with Iran? All right? So any thoughts on what's going on with that as far as the negotiations, and I mean it's it seesaw it back and forth so much that honestly I'm not keeping track of it.
Speaker 3: So's what's interesting today just to frame this and then because you know, others are smarter than I on this, but you know, everyone beats up on axios all the time, but they are kind of a reflection of what the administration is thinking and the Barack gravied and acxios. They revealed a conversation with Trump today. He basically said he's doing nothing. He said, there's nothing's gonna happen. He's gonna keep the status quo and essentially try to squeeze the Iranians economically. Clearly he does not want to go back to any kind of military confrontation. I think we've certainly talked a lot about the lack of military options, and you know there's reports that that German Joint chiefs Kane and adamal Cooper basically told him or warned him about essentially that a lot of these are not going to work. So this is where we are now. But I think the key thing and maybe Jonathan you can jump in on this because everyone is going to be okay, so this is going to be the US policy. What is Iran going to do? And I think that with the the old adage of the enemy gets a vote, I don't think the Iranians are going to sit around.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Is there an opportunity for them to increase hybrid attacks, to increase the use of the proxies, and to start to continue striking ships in the straight up hor moves. It's not like the Iranians are going to sit around. They're going to inflict some pain because they seem to have a bit of leverage and they think they're have the upper hand. What are your what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're absolutely right. And I think they're already doing that because we see in Yemen just yesterday the Houthis launched what they called a retaliation attack against the Saudis because the Saudis had launched something. They actually put a drone into many airspace. But the Huthis I think are kind of testing the perimeter to see how much they can actually do in a future movement, to see what kind of air defenses are up right now, what kind of counter uas platforms are available. How would the Saudis respond. It looks like a little bit of perimeter testing, like touching around the edges there that they're doing. And we also see the Iraqi side, there's some Iraqi Shia militia groups that are doing some preparations and some kind of early stage movements that are outside their baseline. I wouldn't be surprised if these were kind of being organized to possibly be used, but maybe not necessarily be used. But it's kind of how we think about positioning forces. We want to have guys there in case we need them, And I think that's what we see moving right now, is that Iran is looking at, well, what happens if Trump decides to do something before the election or right after the election. We need to have forces ready already there that could be activated quickly without much assembly required. But then on the domestic front, you've got cracks in the regime. So you have people in the regime that really want this war to continue, people in the regime that want to do domestic oppression as the number one priority, and you also have this kind of what could be relatively described as dubbish folks in the regime, which you know, to the rest of the world, they are not doves. But compared to the hird liners like Pizeshki and the President clashing with the Supreme National Security Council, which is the strategy setting body that's directly subordinate to the Ayatola, they don't agree on how this is supposed to be going Poseshkian's folks. The people that are actually, like Goliboff going to these negotiations, are trying to get a diplomatic outcome. We've seen General Kine also on the US side, recommending a diplomatic off ramp as probably the best way out. So both sides have this kind of diplomatic off ramp option that they're floating on their own respective sides with different conditions for what that means. But then also there are hawks as well on both sides who are saying, no, we're not going to be doing diplomatic activity, We're going to be doing military activity or something else that's not diplomatic, perhaps economic as the other major option. So it's important to watch inside Iran what's going on with regime because that's what's going to help us understand what are the actual potential outcomes here. I was on another news channel recently and I was asked that question, you know, like, what about this thing that Dan Kaine said. He said that there should be a diplomatic off ramp, and you know, really that's that's our chairman of the Joint Chiefs making a military advisor's recommendation to a policy maker, which is the executive. Whereas you know, Kin can't set military policy, he can recommend what to do and the president listens. And it's very similar structure in Iran. Not the same titles, but similar with the Supreme National Security Council. You've got this policy setting body. Then you have others who are saying, no, we should do X, we should do, why we should do z? And the policy making body is ignoring that, or members within the party are doing their own kind of side quests in the Red Sea, for example, with the with the Houthis and there's there's some untanglement going on there where we in the West look at it as a monolith and it's not. It's actually different actors with different objectives. Some of them are domestic objectives, have nothing to do with foreign policy that they think they need to do. The Houthy activation versus a Hashtashabi, which is a popular mobilization forces reaction or nothing and just open the straights up. One thing they all have in common is that they understand the straits are now the most important thing in this negotiation.
Speaker 1: They will not let go of it. I was gonna say, John, I mean, when we talk about the status quo today, it's different than the status quo a year ago or even six months ago. And it seems that the Iranians are pretty dead set on militarizing and controlling the straits of her Moods, which gives them military control over the Persian Gulf.
Speaker 4: I mean that they want to monetize it. So before it was about control, especially in the early days of the war, when they're like, we just need to get this under control. This is part of our sovereign territory. If you look at maps, when Abbas Araguchi, the Foreign Minister, is speaking on his podium, behind him is a map of Iran, and you can see it's not just the land that's the map of Iran. It's also the Caspian Sea and the Persian Gulf are part of the map. This is a new development. This was not this way so This is just something to kind of think about symbolically. How are they viewing this situation. Well, they've already changed their maps in a way that is not good for us. It's not good for the status quo before the war, status quo ante, right, So they seem to be coming to this with the idea that there is more to be gained than what they've already gained. They're going toward a monetization which I've seen estimates of up to seven percent of the value of cargo passing through. They've also floated the idea of inbound traffic being handled by one of Oman or Iran, while outbound traffic is handled by the other country. They've set up these kind of zones, and they're they're kind like creating a situation where it's going to be a phata company where it's already happening and has been happening and cannot be dismantled. And it seems that they're stalling some of them in the negotiations to allow these structures to be built up so that when months from now, the US finally comes to a decision that, oh, actually we're going to open the straits again. Well, it's gonna be a lot tougher then than it is now, and then it was obviously two months before.
Speaker 3: Hey, can I ask make a question here because I've been thinking of Mike. I'm serious. I know you've been traveling about, but I've been thinking about you because I am now even though I am the Greek, you're kind of the Greek. He kind of wants to be a Greek a little bit. You got your Greek, but you have gotten me into this well, the Stoicism, right, yes, one holiday, I've been obsessing over this. I've been reading it relentlessly, and so here's what I wanted to ask you. And it does pertain to the current situation now because again you wonder, and this has to do with you know, how the US military is poised right now, and all the notion of shortages of precision weapons. You know, it's and it's it's something that we did at CIA. We actually practiced a lot of the Stoic traits in a simple operational meeting. You plan for the worst and you work backwards. I mean that's the you know what is what is the post mortem? Then's the pre mortem? I mean that's an element of Stoicism. See I'm I'm getting into all this stuff. That's good and so and so that's what we did all the time, because when you plan for an ops meeting, okay, what can go wrong? That's what you do all the time. What are the scenarios? So for the US military with Iran? I still don't understand. And your previous job as a senior civilian official at DED is perfect. How have we not how did we not do that? How did we not look at scenarios? Okay, it's because the scenario would be a long drawn out conflict period and then we planned from that. Yet yet we are short we have a shortage of precision weapons. It's it's something that I just I'm scratching my head and I do I've gone back to the theme before we've talked about uh uh. And I will never denigrate the men and women in the US military, But the leadership at the Pentagon, I am kind of even the uniform leadership. How did Dan Kane and Admiral Cooper and others not conduct this type of stoic planning in the sense of not under not not not planning for the worst and then and then working backwards. What are your thoughts on that. I've been excited all week to ask you this question.
Speaker 2: A right, So I just I just got back from DC literally an hour and a half ago. I landed, right, So I was there in part to have discussions on this.
Speaker 3: Were you played that group that was asked to chat that? The CNN reported that there's a whole bunch of military analysts who were asked for their opinion.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was in DC asked. I was in DC, and I had many discussions on this very topic. By the way, so the obstacle is away. It comes from a quote by Aurelius, which is what stands in the way is the way that kind of became the ethos for how to train Western militaries.
Speaker 3: That's what I love you stuff twice. There's a lot of stoic principles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could have a whole podcast on the odyssey.
Speaker 3: For sure, shaking his head right now, where's this gone?
Speaker 2: That's my next podcast. I'll be talking about that. But for this so and I'll get to your question. I mean, this isn't just an issue of this administration, right, So we've been we've been think about this. This is a regional conflict with a mediocre military and we're almost out of Schlitz, so that's not they're talking about the deputy sect definie now like it's his fault, Like that would have been the case no matter what, because we don't always get to pick when we go to war. We could have just gone to war. So this isn't a partisan issue. This could have been Biden, this could have been Trump, this could have been a this could have been right. So it had been everybody. So I think, you know, let's dispense of the fingerpoint when it comes to political but fingerpoint when it comes to USA. This is not sustainable. And now in addition to the ability to keep up with like defensive interceptors, pactories, fads, et cetera. And I think we've used about eighty percent of the bads. I don't know that specifically, but that's what's being reported, not from my conversation. We need to adjust quickly. And at the same time, we have a massive evolution in modern warfare, which is a low cost, extraordinarily lethal alternatives to these really expensive, very lethal conventional weapons that we've always had. So this is the issue we have to address. It's actually not the uniform military's fault to be Frank, I mean, I'm biased. But this is policy, man, this is policy. It's not like you're asking generals, do you do not want more weapons? Do you not want low cost star trend to is this is policies. Political people decide where and how they're going to make these weapons systems. It becomes ingrained in the actual political system. So it's a much broader conversation. But we got to have it because we got to change it. That's my take. It's it's simply everybody should see this. I think Mark is either meditating or what's going on there. I know somebody turned them on. Oh there, he's back. He's back. Okay, So some of the some of the stuff I could throw out there that might be a good discussion points you've already touched on some of it. Iron's completely embolded, right. Their demands are going up. Okay, they're not going down, They're going up. I mean every time they don't believe the United States is willing to use, you know, the force necessary to open the straits and then keep it open, right, because one thing to force it open, next thing, keep it open. Right, they don't believe we want to escalate in part because of the lack of precision monitions and defensive interceptors and the political fallout of an unpopular word being less popular. So every time you hear the negotiators talk about their new requirements, goes up. Right, So complete reconstruction seven percent, like Jonathan said, So somebody told me seven percent just energy alone would be about fifty billion dollars a year that they would get from the normal flow. If you added everything into it, which is all the you know, stuff that goes into food production and all that stuff, it gets close to one hundred billion dollars in revenue for the regime. Think about that one hundred billion, and who's paying it? Everybody? It's not the United States, everybody around the world. So it's not a tax on the world that I think should wake the world up to say, hey, wait, that's unacceptable to us because my people are going to pay more. And now I push it a lot, but we got to get an international coalition here because this is this is something that the world should find unacceptable because right now that's the way it's going unless something deviates from that. They on the street, I know, we don't like to say that, but I mean clearly. You know, it's normal like one hundred and ten ships that go through a day, but it'll we had four six, which it means it's close. So we've got to do something to change that. And then you have what looks like somewhat of a not that it was always unified, but the GC seems GCC seems to be falling apart. Right. You got Saudi going with Turkey and Pakistan. You've got the Amiradis with the Bahraini's kind of like, let's go ahead and finish the job. And you've got what one who's left, Katari's and other countries that are kind of like, holy crap. This is Omani's right, are kind of like holy crap right in the middle of this stuff. We need to get this result. So we have a splintering of our allies and partners who I think are now really concerned about their security going forward and whether we're willing to defend them because we are. I think pulling forces out of a lot of those countries and putting them further away, like in Jordan and Israel makes sense from a force protection perspective, but you know, why did these countries host our military before wasn't so that when the war started that we would leave, right. So these are all challenges. So you got the GCC question, then you've got and i'd throw on your list. Jack Net Yahoo just came out and rejected the border pieces fifteen point playing. He just said no, and he said sometimes you got to tell you best friends, essentially, Ela. So the announcement we made about Hamas disarming and the IDF withdrawing, it's not going to happen. IDF doesn't think they're going to disarm. They probably have no way to actually talent they've disarmed, and so they just came out. You know, they have elections. I know, you guys know on October and so that issue, which we didn't have resolved, but at least it was going in the right direction we thought is not right. And that's all tied together. Right, These are all boxing So how do we get out of it? I mean, I guess I throw it back to everybody else. But we're in a situation where the United States I don't think, can accept a closed trade. It has to go back to the original. We can't pay for it. Maybe we can agree to in the naval blockade. That's fair but we can't be paying three hundred billion dollars for reconstructing a country that we attacked. The country that pays the reconstruction lost, just say it like that. That can't be the case. So, and we got to do something in the nuclear program. They're obviously not interested in a new nuclear agreement, which they were, So we're going to have to plan on a continuous mitigation of the threats the best way I can put it, which means we're gonna have to keep striking facilities that we think are acted. So the war's not going to end, right if you think of it that way. So we're in a situation that's to your point. I mean, did we plan this out? It doesn't look like it, But we are where we are. So going forward, how does America? How does the United States come out as a strategic success? It's going to take a lot effort.
Speaker 3: There's an after action piece of this too, in which you know, I mean, aren't we supposed to fight two wars at once? Wasn't that the DoD st and yes, one war which is like against a second rate military and sustain it. I mean, I get, I still am just mystified that that there wasn't or planning involved, or at least if US military officials were not stronger with the president saying this is not sustainable, we can't do that. I mean, there there's you know, if you look back, I remember, you know when when I was in government talking to these rallies, and there was there was some Israeli massa chief Meyer Degan one of them, who would tell the Israeli Prime minister, we cannot attack her on we we we should not do this, period, end of story. And I don't see that from US officials. I just the people around Trump don't have that ability, like a Jim Maddis had uh on the first term saying no, we can't do this. I don't see that. I don't see Caine strong enough doing that, certainly not Hegseth. And so maybe that's why we're in kind of the pickle we're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's like a larger political question about you know, what happens when a president installs a bunch of sikaphants around him and your you know, your your advisors, the people that are supposed to, you know, help help you make good decisions, or actually just telling you what you want to hear, and I think we're pretty clearly in that situation right now. But I wanted to ask you guys also about this article in the Jerusalem Post and when we start talking about insurgents in Iran and foreign groups, and you know, we've talked about arming the Kurds in the past, and John, you've also expanded on some of the different rebel groups in Iran. This article is claiming besiege singer abducted in torture to death as group Ashtara Zero Day claims responsibility. Have you guys seen this article and like, what's your thought about you know, who this group could be. Do they have a daddy? And is it us?
Speaker 4: So this group is actually an interesting one to look at from an open source intelligence perspective, like using like analytical tools. Their Instagram became active in December twenty twenty five. They made a few posts up through January and then stopped. Remember the war started February twenty eighth. There were no more posts until April, and the posts in April were different than the posts in January. They were still in the same category of material, which was anti regime posts saying, you know, like the beusiege had been murdering us, which is true. The Busiege were out there shooting and killing and slaughtering people, but there was no communication from January to April. In April, when they came back, they started focusing on doxing specific Busiege people, saying, you know, this guy lives at this house, he was there at the protests and killed these people. We will pay you using cryptocurrency on a telegram channel if you kill them and send us a video of you killing them. As soon as we receive the video, we'll pay you. And this is all from Farsi posts, so this doesn't what I'm saying to you does not exist in English right now. I've read the Farsia side of it, and it's very interesting to see that shift in narrative. Of course, these things are all inferential. We don't have the full knowledge of what's going on, so this is just an inference. But it seems that there was a shift in control or shift in narrative that occurred, probably in March, that pushed whatever this group was, if it is a group or single individual, toward something more targeted, more violent, more real in the real world. Rather than just reporting past events, they're now focusing on future activity, and they.
Speaker 1: Are I believe another one of these groups that is supporting Reza Paula VI if I read correctly.
Speaker 4: So based on the Farsitis side of this, you know, I actually kind of looked at this to question that as well. I don't see really clear indications that this group is a monarchist group or supporting the monarchy. It seems that they're more anti regime, and from previous discussions we've had, you know, there are a lot of groups that have the same thing in mind, and that is they want the regime gone, but they don't agree on what should come.
Speaker 1: The day after.
Speaker 4: And actually zero day in the name of the organization. You know, when I first see that, I used to work at NSA. When I hear zero day, that means an exploit that needs to be fixed right now, or else there's going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: In the system.
Speaker 4: But actually zero day in Farsi has been us throughout this conflict to refer to what happens the day after the regime is gone. Interesting, So I think Westerners might not pick that up and they'll see zero day and think like, oh, this is you know, some cyber thing. No, it's actually very much domestic for domestic Iranian consumption is not designed for Western consumption. That's another key point to pull out here. The media that's around this is not in English at all, and it's written in a way that is common within the Tehrani Farci speaking youth like, let's say up to age thirty maximum kind of way of writing. So this there's clearly a target audience and clearly a specific, you know, way of talking this is this is going toward, and in fact, the article here that's discussing this, the group actually didn't claim responsibility for killing this busigy. There's a pretty gruesome video of somebody knifing this dude to death, like in a horrific, slow burning way, and he was accused of killing some protesters and that's why they killed him. But the video was sent to this group, and then the money was sent to these people who made the video, and so there's a lot of interesting stuff. Another questionable thing is a lot of what we know about the murder, in particular of that busig is not from the group. It's from regime linked media sources like FARS and some other IERGC controlled media. So there's something going on here. Domestically within Iran about this group that's definitely got alarm bells going off. And interestingly, another tas NME News, which is an IERGC controlled media organ in Iran, they published this an article about this busig getting murdered and how terrible it was, and then within hours they took the story down. So this is just very fascinating to kind of watch this all play out in Farsi. By the way, this is not for Western consumption. Again, so there's something going on here, and it's hard to say is it actually happening, is it real? Is it the way they're describing it. Who is doing this? This could be Mosad, it could be the United States. It could even be their regime doing something to justify something else. For example, because they killed four that they hung four of the people that they accused of being involved with this, so the question could be were they just looking for a justification to execute these people that they already might have had captured. So there's a lot of questions here, but there's certainly something interesting going on in here that was meant for a very specific audience and that we are now seeing.
Speaker 3: You know, we've always wondered about COVID, the possibilities of COVID action. I mean, we saw the kind of the this boxed Israeli plan, and there's been really extensive reporting on that in the Israeli press. It's really remarkable. This is the COVID action plan, using the Kurds, using the you know, the recruitment of former president of Mdinizad. But there's got to be other stuff going on. It's not that Masad didn't just take a knee, and I would imagine the agency as something cooked up as well, and so who knows. You know, one of the things that's really interesting from you know, after serving at the at CI for a long time and then and kind of then getting upset when all the COVID action plans that we ran always leaked. You don't see as much leaks on this kind of stuff now, Jack. I know you dig like crazy when you and Sean do all your deep dives on stuff, but I don't. I mean, you know, the major COVID action plans of at least Mick when you and I were in whether it's in Afghanistan or you know, the Syria program, all that stuff came out in the press. I don't see a lot of that now, it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of I don't think there's as much happening as.
Speaker 3: That could be it as well, But I think COVID actionly, you know, probably should play a big role now since the military option is really not as much on the table. But I would I would imagine they're considering these things, Nick, what do you think?
Speaker 2: So I don't know obviously, or if I did, I wouldn't say anything about it. But I mean my view is co reaction should be continuous. Yeah, you don't just start co reaction because you start a war, right, I mean it's a little late. I'm not saying that's what we did. I don't know, but like it, that's when it leaked, you know, the Israeli planned It's like, hey, let's arm the curve, I mean now, and then to talk about it, of course puts a giant bullseye on these guys. Right. My understanding was we could put they could muster around four thousand or can imagine going against the entire GC, the besieged in the Iranian military four thousand people that just got armed yesterday. That's not going to work. So again, I don't know, I wouldn't be talking about it. But I think we should have a long standing, very broad I think Jonathan brought up before. Can't just be the Curds. That's not going to work. There's plenty of other groups. What they need is coordination, and that's where I think we could come in to coordinate, to plan, to train the leadership, to organize that stuff, and then obviously to equip.
Speaker 1: We should point out Mick, I mean, you have direct experience in this kind of activity in this.
Speaker 2: Part of the world.
Speaker 1: You know, you were one of those teams in Northern Iraq. Actually one of the other team was was Sam Fattis, who recently passed away. But I mean, well, I think both of those teams did some pretty incredible work as far as like sabotage behind enemy lines, and.
Speaker 3: Our team did a little bit better than the other team did.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of that's been out, so it's an example of what you could do their Kurds, right, what you could do with motivated malicious right. I mean we saw it also in the fall Taliban and Afghanistan, but that was the same thing in Northern Iraq. The team that me and Mark were on, and as you said, Sam was the overall leader. We were on a separate team, but he was a think I think, you know, I'm biased, but that took on Onsara Islam and operations Viking Hammer US with tenth group, handful of Americans. I was there like it could be spies, how few Americans with like six thousand Kurds and maybe one hundred and twenty Americans. And then we became the Northern Front, right, because the Turks would't let the fourth and for two division in and we had to go to the Kurds and say, congratulations, it's just you and us, right. I remember when we had to say that. I was a little rough, but I mean that shows how highly motivated and trained groups like the Kurds can do. And they were going against you know, the Holding Guard. There's a conventional army, tanks, armor, personnel, cares, artillery. The Kurds had you know, high louxes with you know, dish is and pekms on the back. They did have our air support, right, but we also that's and I did an academic paper actually with General Tovo at the time was Lieutenant Colonel Tobo retired as Lieutenant General Covo Tobo to talk about how the US military and the agency needs to maintain the capability to work together to do things like that. Like that should be part of you know, special operations officers, be they in the agency or in the military career progression when it comes to their skill sets, right, because we keep whenever we go to war, we kind of figure it out and then we kind of separate and go our separate ways. But anyway, that's that I'm digressing a bit. But to your point, Jack, this can be done. There is examples of how it's been done well. But it has to be organized, madd maintained. It needs to be a long term strategy. And but I think a lot of CIA people, I think Mark would agree with me. What the CIA doesn't want to see is this isn't working. We can't figure it out. Diplomacy's failed. We don't want to use the military to you go dudes, and then we're like, oh crap, because I mean talk about I mean, you don't want to get it handed to you when it's when it's already you know, a dumpster fire. So it needs to be coordinated in line with diplomatic efforts, economic efforts, military efforts. But in my view, it should be continuous.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out this book real quick. This is another good one. Mark Gerdovik, who yes, I believe he was Colonel Tovo's S three during the camp book. Yeah, this one's very good. And geez, Sam Fattis wrote one also that was pretty good. Let me see if I'm pulling up here here it is the CIA War in Kurdistan. That one's worth reading. Also, where's it? Uh? Where can people find that academic paper you mentioned?
Speaker 2: Meck, I was Middle East since too. It was me General Tobo and Uncle Landy who went by Uncle Andy still does. But yeah, yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: That was really good and it was also cleared by the agency, which is actually really helpful for the rest of us, because I've cited that about a billion times not to get so yeah, and I totally agree because you know, uh, with the end of the GWATT, you know, we all everyone gripped together with our military counterparts, and then just naturally with the great power competition, everyone drips apart. And that's not good. It's kind of should be institutionalized. But one quick thing, Jonathan, I don't know if you saw this, and it does go to the notion of covert action and kind of narratives. But the new MASSAT chief, Roman Goffman, basically fired his deputy, also fired the head of the Iran Operations Division and they're head of analysis. Pretty remarkable. That seems to me to be an indictment of something in this campaign. I mean, and of course you don't see any of that on the US side, but for the new MASADE director to come in and can that the chief of Iran is pretty extraordinary and the chief analytic chief analyst, what do you think of that?
Speaker 4: The challenge too is, you know, it seems that the war plan that the Israelis had that they presented to the US was really contingent on the US persisting and actually like continuing to follow through. And it's possible that the plans that those individuals put together fell apart inside of Iran, which we don't see because they're all happening behind the scenes, but things probably fell apart because that contingent requirement of US participation following through wasn't there, and so there probably wasn't this alternative CoA built into it, because I mean, when you're selling a sales pitch, you don't want to say, like, well, in case this fails, we're also going to do this because you don't want to just suggest that there's going to be failure possible when you're selling it to the United States, because you want the US, especially the people that heard it in that room of eight people, they need to hear success, success, success, And I think that failure probably was minimized and de emphasized. And now those gentlemen are probably seeing the effects of that minimization in their own you know, behind the scenes politics in the organization.
Speaker 3: But of course there's nothing on the US side. There's no accountability on our side. I mean there is, there is. It's a it's a pretty stark contrast. And then the former misad folks that I know are all pissed because they think they're getting blamed for this when it's you know, Nanyahu's the one who of course signed off on everything and was really pushing a lot of these plans as well.
Speaker 4: And that's saw the same thing in Gaza too. I mean, right after twenty twenty three October, there was a lot of blame finger pointing, and none of it was at NATANYAHUO at least, you know, public resigned, right Ron and.
Speaker 1: Bar I so guys, here's a mixed paper that he wrote with Ken Tovo, who is the commander of tenth Special Forces Group when this happened. A regular warfare case study in CIA and US Army Special Forces operations in Northern Act two thousand two to two thousand and three. Definitely worth going to find that one. So to switch topics, Mark, you wanted to get into and I have not read this article, but you wanted to get into that there was a rating of intelligence services across Europe.
Speaker 2: It was pretty fun.
Speaker 3: This is in I think, I mean, it's all over the place. It was the Telegraph, I don't know, but then the Guardian published it at the Times in the UK. So basically it was a it was a pure study amongst all European services and ranking the top intelligence services in Europe. And m I six came out on top. France was number two. I think Germany was three, which is ridiculous, but but there was and all of course everyone you know, the Brits and and and I know a lot of former and current British officers and they're you know, they're absolutely out of their mind with with glee and happiness. Now even if you remind them of the Cambridge five and you know, all the other things that happen. It doesn't matter. But but ultimately it's uh, it's pretty interesting and a lot of it has. The reason why I wanted to raise it was a comment that in the article that Ralph Goff, who was a very well known, very respective agency officer, you know him well, Uh, he made talking about how good the Brits have been in Ukraine, and I think there's this there's this undertone that we all have in the Brits never talk about it, but you know, the British security services and British special Forces have been very very well there and been way forward leaning. And so that's interesting too. And then the other part that I thought that was fascinating was, and again based on my experiences the end of my career, which was all Near East in CT until the end which was Europe, was dealing with the French and how the French and I found them to be really incredible partners on CT in Africa, uh, to the point of where they do not have the same kind of rules that we have. And in fact, in this article that I was reading in the in the British press, they said, yeah that, you know, a British intelligence officer said you that, you know, the French are savages. They basically there was a list of forty or fifty you know, isis and all kind of target. They just went and killed them all, assassinated them all. So it's just interesting to kind of look at the right the you know, our allies across the pond, and and there's I mean, this didn't get a lot of play in the US, but it certainly within the intelligence world. This this kind of ranking, which was peer rank. It's not a newspaper journalist doing it's they really did us, you know, they they somehow did us some kind of poll of intel officers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other part of it, just one quick thing is it didn't tell you know, I think that they are really good services like the Poles, which have done incredible, just ground crazy shit for us over the years. Anyhow, So these are the allies by the way, Mick, that you want to have help us. Of course I want to as well, so does Jonathan, so does Jack in in Iran. They're really good if they're on our side.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the DGS is much more aggressive than people realize. Yeah, I mean so so so is the French special Forces, Like I actually heard they have done something like twenty five military free fall insertions into West Africa over the last like five or six years doing ops and during the whole ISIS years. You know, the French special forces guys in Iraq and I believe in Syria too, part of TF Hydra. They were deployed there with the express mission of assassinating French citizens that had joined ISIS, Like, do not let these guys come back home?
Speaker 2: Like that is not to happen, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Say, isn't that the monarch?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've worked with them. They're kind of like special activities. Yeah, they're good, they're I mean, I think one thing that is positive is the intelligence services tend to work together regardless of you know, what the overall relationship is between the countries. You know that politically goes up and down.
Speaker 1: And they unless it's like r there are some limits on how well you guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, no, I meant like among allies, like we could have issues with France and Spain and but yeah, we I mean I don't know that it got out there, but we helped DGSA with one of their issues, and I think after that, and it was to recover somebody who was kidnapped, the relationships just got really tight.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking about got kidnapped?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the at all the time we helped them with one of their guys, but with one of the French citizens, French guys, French DGSE, and uh, it just got really really tight after that. I think they were always doing good stuff, but then we just started to hear more about it after that. And and the Brits, I mean, I mean, just like you, Jack, I'm an Irish American, so I can't go too far on this, but I've worked with them many times in there. I actually had one come over my house and said, so you got an Irish pub and a boxing gym because you're just a freaking walking stereot type art Jeb. Yeah, what do you expect? He came to my pump all the time. But they are they are, they are good. They can do good things when they're when they want to, and I think we don't we shouldn't take our relationship with all these countries for great.
Speaker 1: You know, if Mark points out the Polish Agency of Avadhu I believe is the name of the aw their intelligence service does some incredible stuff. And then another one is the Belgians.
Speaker 2: A V I D.
Speaker 1: That's another one of those.
Speaker 3: I think you're talking to Dutch.
Speaker 1: Are they the Dutch? Yeah? Thank you.
Speaker 3: If they're outstanding that yeah, they punch above their weight class.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How about you, John, did you have any partners that you worked with that you were particularly impressed by?
Speaker 4: UH As far as direct action, it was DNSIS Lapon Lapon Detachment eighty eight in Indonesia. They did some of these like highly orchestrated assassinations inside Indonesia. One of them they killed this guy named Dolmatine who you can look up. He was a bad guy in Jemmy Anslomia. But they basically fixed him in place using his webcam while he was in an internet cafe and then from like behind the buildings a couple up behind a couple streets back, they like shot through and shot him in the back of the head right over in front of the camera and like used that as to find the fix and finish component of the operation. It was like really well done. This is a long time ago too, Like before f three a d was so popularized, highly good at it. He would just sit in one.
Speaker 1: Of those hops where what was it, like a guy that was a JI, guy that was in prison for killing one of their dudes, and they went and raided the prison and like shot the guy through the bars.
Speaker 2: In the cell. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would do stuff like that all the time.
Speaker 3: And they did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean they killed the leader of MIT, which is another splinter group of Jumma Islamia, by like going through a village and just like shooting and shooting people on their way to him, like without discriminating and just going toward until they finally got him. And you know, yeah he's deab but it's or like twenty five other people in the village.
Speaker 1: Jesus well Mark, Before I know, you got to get going in like maybe ten minutes. I want to make sure that we touch on this report that the CIA has opened some sort of Cuba task force.
Speaker 3: So this this is a big deal just in terms of priorities. I mean, I think that's the way you got to look at it now. Adamantus wrote this for The New York Times, and tous is extremely well sourced within the agency and is written on Cuba for years, so I would tend to believe it. And then the Miami Herald picked it up as well, and so then there, of course are well sourced on Cuba, just from their proximity and the Cuban American community in South Florida. But I think it's important just in the sense of, you know, this is something that obviously Secretary of Slate, Secretary of State slash National Security Visor Rubio is of paramount importance to him personally. And when you set up a task force, you do so to increase obviously collection both human intelligence, signals intelligence, you know, imagery open source, but that means you're pulling resources from somewhere else. You know, the agency is a finite number of people and money and resources. I would imagine there probably will be similar efforts in other places in the US national security kind of ecosystem, and that's done either to support future military operations and SLASH or covert action, which also could be COVID influence. So it's not necessarily a coupe, but it's influence operations. But you don't do this if this is something is not afoot in some fashion.
Speaker 1: Didn't didn't this already kind of exist under like the what is it called the Western Hemisphere Missions Set, not.
Speaker 3: Not that not not a task force of this of this nature. So yeah, I mean there's the CuBox group, but not not an actual task force where you bring in this. This now becomes all source. It becomes there's analysts who are brought in. I mean, it's a it's a thing. They're gonna pull people from it. They're also going to pull people from a mixed old world. I mean, you know, this just doesn't happen because and at least that's what the the article said. And you know, one one can wonder is the administration really going to jump into another foreign adventure, But you know it's certainly that's something that is you know, it's it's raised in priority. And in the article as well, it's said that this has been raised in what the national security world is called the nip IF, the National Intelligence Priorities for Framework. This is in the first tier that matters. Again, that's where money and resources go. Final peace on. This is in all of my contacts and Jack, you know, you and I have talked Cuba before because the whole Havana syndrome issue. I have a ton of contacts in the Cuban American community, including some great, wonderful kind of the Cuban exile groups. They will not settle for a venezuela type operation. They want full work. They are they said that they consider the venezuela thing to be a failure, and they're very skeptical or not so skeptical, but they're going to hold Rubio to task on this. So the idea of doing a venezuela you know, some kind of like light type operation, I don't know. So it's just it just gives you a kind of you know, you think about signal versus noise. This is signal, this is not noise. A task force is a task force, I.
Speaker 2: Would add, I mean, I don't know if the story is accurate, but it sounds like it is. I would add that this is actually consistent with our national security strategy and defense strategy. You remember we used to talk about, you know, we were going to shift to the Western en not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is. You're supposed to mean, make strategy for a reason, and then of course went to war in the Middle East. But if you look at it as consistency and what we said we were going to do and put our resources tour it has it has some validity there. Put it that way, and I agree with Mark. I think a lot of people that are focused on this region, the Western Hemisphere, don't want to just see a repeat of Venezuela. Essentially just removed the head and as you guys know that that the problem still exists and could go back, you know, depending on the interest and lack of interest by the United States. But I don't know what that necessarily means for Cuba.
Speaker 4: Something interesting I saw was some satellite imagery today there's four different locations inside of Cuba that had they're just farmland, and now they have a bunch of Chinese solar panels that have been installed. And of course obviously there's rolling blackouts and consistent blackouts and right now a lot of energy constraints, and it seems that you know, I don't know who in China is providing this stuff, but a lot of things from China don't usually happen without Chinese permission, government permission, So it just kind of interesting to see this showing up behind a blockade inside of a completely sanctioned country. That now you have these brand new solar panel farms built.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any of you guys, I mean, I guess I don't know, I mean how much you came across it, Mark, But I mean, how would you assess the CIA's penetration of Cuba because my impression is that all of the sources you know that we have on the books or double agents that DGI has kind of ran circles around US for many years, well.
Speaker 3: The record ain't good. I mean, I mean, it's it's incredible. I mean, you know, Cuba has been a country that has had astounding success against US. There's very senior former US intelligence officers who are who are Cuban agents, an ambassador, ambassador who is a Cuban agent. I mean, it's it's it's it's pretty stunning. Cube. Obviously it's a denied area if you're you know, serving with the USBSC and the vent in the c I station was closed for a while and then reopened. Now of course one of the one of the and and so there is that notion of, uh, you know, are they are the Cubans still that formidable an adversary? Now some argue that because of the economic kind of deterioration, is that actually the Cuban intelligence services have really suffered because of that. So that's that's certainly possible. One thing that was wild is that you know, you had not only John Ratcliffe, other c I officials actually visited Cuban recently open for discussions with uh. There are Cuban counterparts. So there's this there's kind of this interesting game being played. But Jack, I think that, you know, it's a very good question because when you talk about increasing collection, the past collection at least on the human side was very suspect. Now because there were so many uh doubles. Now you know, is has that change? I'm not entire really sure, and I think that more than likely, there's some validity to the notion of that the Cuba has been so battered economically that you know, and and again their patrons have been also the Russians too, and so you know, are they as formidable an adversary? But that we we shall see, let's see what what we end up doing. I don't think we should shark from that just because there's been so much uh, you know, failure in the past in terms of on on on the human side. But you also can't you know, there can't be any hubris. We have to have some humility and that we are dealing with the Confidence Service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've kind of fucked that one a few times in the past already. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean when you talk about the ambassador, the National Intelligence officer for Cube, like there was serious mate that the d I as top analyst on Cuba was a spy for Cuba. That's astounding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd be proud of that if it was reversed. Usually, the interesting thing.
Speaker 1: About d g I is I am understand it is that they get ideological recruitments, which we very rarely get. As I understand it, like CIA doesn't get a lot of ideological recruitments in that US.
Speaker 2: Like during the Coal War.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think that's like a Cold War dynamic mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're in the Cold War at least at least from what I wasn't around then, but at least from what I know that a lot of it was, you know, the opposition to the Soviet Union and UH and the desire to ensure that there wasn't a you know, Third World War. I would call that ideological.
Speaker 3: Should I think there's a chance that Jonathan and Mick and Jack and d all of us are going to be talking Cuba in the next month or two.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Is it going to be before the elections mid terms or not?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But and it's crazy, by the way, I mean Venezuela, Iran, Like, are we really going to do another little Foray? But I think there's very I mean, the one thing with this administration, this is not ideological or political. You'll be shocked. I'll say something neutral is that you should never say never. I think that's a fair statement. Things that you thought couldn't happen certainly can happen. And so I think we'll be talking Cuba soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've been told that some of these talks that are happening up at Camp David, they're kind of being advertised as being about Iran, but actually Cuba is one of the main topic of some of those talks.
Speaker 3: One other thing on this for Jonathan and Nick, like, why the hell did we do all our tdys and pcs's in the sandbox? Like, I'm sorry, Cuba is a little bit more fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if you're not, if you're.
Speaker 3: With the sandbox, I.
Speaker 2: Got to go to some Latin American stuff and Far East Philippines, et cetera. But yeah, I don't know the other thing that people are talking about, but I tried to somewhat unsuccessfully this week is Ukraine. Like Ukraine right now has stop the Russians, Like they're not advancing, they're getting slaughtered. They are striking facilities way beyond where we thought they would, and they are getting almost no US support, like it is really little support. And even that, you know, the the idea that they were going to be able to manufacture like the pactories and stuff, because right now they're literally I think they're almost out entirely right, that's why they're getting hit so hard. I don't even know if that's gonna happen. So I would just I will beat the drum, even if it's not what the news is talking about. Not only is it the right thing to do, right, Uh, we're are the leader of the free world, but we have an opportunity if we have to play this game card to help them win, which means we'd win, right. So I'm just saying we need to win, right, So like if we win in uh, not that we need to I mean, I'm not advocating. We run around claiming victory for the Ukrainians who did one hundred percent of the work. But if we want to get behind a winning cause, not only is it the righteous cause, but these guys are already proved they can win by them. Can you imagine if we gave them full the little support.
Speaker 3: So I'm just gonna By the way, the Russians just trying to blow up several Ukraine airplanes in Germany. I saw that this is a terror state, this is insane state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just target apartment buildings, kill women and children, the old people. They don't even hide it. I'm with you, and it'll never win that way. All it does is make the Ukrainians less likely to ever concede. It's not even a winning strategy. It's just murder.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to see the targeting of wild berries like the Russian amazon. Yeah, because that's purely an economic target. You'd have a hard time saying that that's a military target or it's a dual use facility. But it is having a psychological impact on the Russian sense they can't get their deliveries.
Speaker 2: Well, apparently there's so little support for the troops in the front lines that families buy stuff from Wildberry to into that they buy helmets, I mean all the stuff that's not lethal, but like that don't have a body armor. I mean, these guys have like a one week life spectancy. If you if it's your kid, you're buying it. Apparently it comes. They ship a lot of this food, body armor, helmets, you know, all the stuff that you need, but isn't the lethal stuff.
Speaker 1: Anything else. Guys, Before we wrap up here today, John is the author of Iran's Shadow Weapons. You can go and find that book right now. Nick Mulroy with the Lobo Institute. Where can people find the Lobo Institute, Nick.
Speaker 2: We got a website Lobo ins dot g Lobo Institute dot org. And of course we're out here in Whitefish. If you're interested in that Whitefish Security Summit, there's a link to it. We're going to get all you guys out here for that. He's gonna get wrapped.
Speaker 1: And mister Plis, you have a book out too, don't you.
Speaker 3: It's been out for a couple of years. Clarity And if anyone wants to see me yapping away, I'm on TV a lot in the morning. I'll be on five am. Tomorrow suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah six.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you guys for joining us today and we'll see all of you next time. Thanks guys, take care.
Speaker 5: Hello everyone. If you're hearing this you are not a member of the Patreon, you can get your hands on ad free episodes that come out early and you can ask us questions maybe we'll answer them. You can also watch the team House podcast completely ad free and early, and you can also watch it live as we interview our guests, and it's the best way to support the channel, So if you can, if you're open to it, you can go to patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. That link is in the description. We appreciate the supporters and we hope you would consider being one. So it's patreon dot com slash. It's seen us. Nice guys
Speaker 1: As