Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray WBZ Coostin's video. All right, Well, a few nights ago, one of our listeners, regular listeners, suggested that as we approach, were we really in the fifth anniversary of the arrival of COVID in this country? Very difficult to figure out exactly when COVID arrived, I mean it arrived. It first appeared at a nursing home I believe in the state of Washington in late January, early February. Then you had that conference out at the Long Whaff Marriott which a number of people contracted COVID, and then all of a sudden it percolated up and by this time in March of twenty and twenty, we were all aware that something was going on. We didn't know what it was happening. Remember we were we weren't wear masked, not wear masked, all of that. And we still don't know everything about it. And one of the things that one of the great mysteries of COVID five years later is what's called long COVID. And we are joined again. About a year ago, we talked with my guest Julie Sullivan. She's the program manager of the COVID Recovery Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital. It works with you know, what you would call pulmonary medicine, and Julie is delighted, delightful to have you back. Thanks very much for joining us on this fifth anniversary. It's not like the day they signed the Declaration of Independence two hundred and twenty three years ago that we can pinpoint when it started. But you've been involved treating people with long COVID for quite a while. Where do we stand at this point? I think there's no question that long COVID is real. It's not something that's psychological.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, Hi, Dan, I'm nice to be back. Yes, you're right. This is definitely, definitely a physical condition. It's a post viral condition, and we've seen things like this in the past with chroduct fatigue syndrome and other conditions that are autoimmune that were triggered by viruses. But COVID has really shown a light on how dangerous post viral conditions can be and how pervasive they can be.
Speaker 1: You sent me some materials today which have had a chance to look at, and some of these are frightening. For example, I believe that you're convinced that about ten to thirty percent of COVID nine nineteen cases. COVID cases result in long COVID. I mean there were millions of Americans who contracted COVID. Was there one strain of it that made people more likely to have long COVID? Or is that number of ten to thirty percent? I mean that's a wide number because one one in ten to three and ten. Just drill down on that for me a little bit. What are you telling me there? Would you send me that number?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Definitely. And so when we talk about long COVID, we talk about symptoms that persist beyond the usual infection period. So when we say ten to thirty percent, that includes people who had camble symptoms for six weeks, eight weeks, two months in recovery, and so is anything that extends beyond that period. It's hard to get exact numbers because some people do recover and everyone's recovery rate is different. We estimate that six to seven percent have ongoing chronic symptoms. The first wave the pandemic was definitely the most dangerous, and we didn't have any community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold on, just want me show six to seven percent of all US adults. That's that's what we're here, That's what I believe, Okay, And with everyone.
Speaker 2: Knows someone with long COVID. You know, you can talk to your friends and you'll find someone who says, yes, I have long COVID, or someone who says, you know, my breathing never has been the same since I had COVID two years ago, or have never been able to exercise to that point.
Speaker 1: By the way, Julie, I'm not challenging on any of these statistics. I'm trying to re emphasize the seriousness of this. I have friends, and I think I mentioned and he's a pretty well known former tennis player, Cliff Richie, who to this day deals with long COVID. And Cliff was one of the healthiest individuals that I have ever known. You know, he's a he's a little older, you know, he's in his late seventies at this point. But there are days when I'll call him on the phone and he'll just say, Dan, I can't talk. I mean, and he literally is, and he's it's just it's some people.
Speaker 2: Some people are bet bound and homebound. It's that severe. So just like when you contract COVID, there's a difference in severity where some people you know, can go into respiratory failure and die and other people have no symptoms. There is also a range with long COVID, and it is scary because every time you can tract COVID, you increase your risk of developing long COVID.
Speaker 1: WHOA now, now, real quick question here, and I want to stay with the notes that you sent me are which are just unbelievably scary. COVID is still around the The Department of Health here in Massachusetts releases statistics every week. It doesn't get into the written newspaper. I don't see it in the globe of the Herald, but there's always you know, seven, eight, ten people who pass away from COVID and that's that's a lot of depths over the course of a year in one state. Do we have and I know this may get into not into your area of expertise, What can you hear about the possibility that you know, we've been told now it's always going to be with us, like the flow, it's never gone away. Is that is that accurate?
Speaker 2: I think it is, although we're certainly not doing anything to make COVID go away. You know the numbers I think the reporting is still it's still underreported because people are not testing for COVID and they're not treating COVID when they have it and not preventing transmission of it, and that perpetuates the matter as it continues to evolve and it continues to make new variants to stay in our systems, and that is scary because it can mutate to get more dangerous, to be more contagious, and we've seen that happen over the course of the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Do you think that at some point in the future it's conceivable that we could be looking at a repeat of twenty twenty or is that the worst of it, and that it may come back in various income our nations, but it's never going to come back with that intensity. What's your thought on that?
Speaker 2: Well, my thought is that we have more pandemics ahead of us, maybe not COVID, but other viruses, you know, the H one, N five and a lot of these viruses that are pretty dangerous and circulating could transfer over to humans and become pretty deadly to humans again, So I think we always have to be very conscious of that. I don't know that COVID itself would evolved to become more dangerous. That there are other coronaviruses that certainly could develop to become dangerous.
Speaker 1: And the problem, I think is that when when COVID really hit, and it hit with the intensity that that those of us you know, who were around at that time and over a certain age, I think if you were over ten years old, you recognized that this was this was a pandemic and that was a big word that people were getting used to, an epidemic of international proportions that that we kind of did rally and everybody was a little more careful. But I feel that as time goes by, we're getting sloppy again. Not that I want everyone wearing masks or anything like that, but it just seems to me that if it's not in the forefront of our mind of our minds, that gives that puts us at a collective disadvantage. And I don't use the word collective a lot, because I'm not I'm not a fan of that word. But if I don't take care of myself and watch out, it might come back to I might not get it, but maybe somehow I will transmit it to you or to someone else. Am I crazy?
Speaker 2: When I talk that way, No, I think you're right. I think we have gotten really sloppy. We learned some really important things during the early days of the pandemic around washing our hands and avoiding crowds and not sanitizing after you touch high contact surfaces, staying home when you're sick to protect other people, and a lot of those just basic respiratory egien and infection control practices we've really slipped away from. And I think that's also why we saw such surgeons of viruses in general this winter, with flu A and flu B and RSV and the neurovirus. So it's been a messy winter for sure for viruses and a lot of infections control and respiratory hygiene could see people a lot of grief.
Speaker 1: My guest is Julie Sullivan. Julie has been on the front lines of the COVID battle for many years, for five years and probably realistically before that. Julie is currently the manager of the COVID Recovery Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital. You have dealt with a lot of people over the last few years, without again identifying people, I want to drill down in our next segment, what have you been doing. How do you pull people out of this pit of despair? And it is a pit of despair. And if you do, you have any questions and you'd like to talk with Julie, all you've got to do is give us a call six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We'll get to phone calls for Julie Sullivan. Your questions about COVID, about your situation. Feel free to ask whatever ever questions you like. As I learned many years ago in law school, the only dumb questions of the questions you don't have the courage to ask, because that's the one that's going to be in the midterm or the final exam. Six one seven, five four ten thirty, six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. My name is Dan Ray, Delighted to be joined by Julie Sullivan on the topic of recovery from long COVID Back after this Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side.
Speaker 3: Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: My guest is Julie Sullivan. She is an expert on recovering from long COVID UH. She works at Brigham and Women Hospital, in the COVID Recovery center, She's dealt with lots of people over time. Julia Kinda, this may be a question that is beyond your realm of expertise. I suspect it isn't, but just in case.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: One of the things about COVID that has struck me as curious, and that is, when you buy or you get from the government COVID tests, they don't seem to have a long life expectancy. And my suspicion is that there's a lot of people listening to the program tonight who have never checked the use by date on their COVID test packets, and when they need to use them, they're going to find that they are theoretically out of date. How come, and this again maybe beyond your realm, how come our government could not come up with a test which which would maintain its capability for more than just a few months.
Speaker 2: That's a good question that is beyond my realm of expertise, actually, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't know to me that that if for you, four months from now or next September, something like COVID comes roaring back, we're all going to go to our uh, you know, to our medicine cabinets and pull out some some tests. What you're gonna say, well, this expired, you know, a year and a half ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you could be like me and and replenish your COVID tests and especially so before every search. So that's what I do.
Speaker 1: That's okay, solid advice. Let's uh, let's get some phone calls and see what see what people have to say. Again, if you've had an experience and you want to compare notes, uh, if you want to talk or ask a question, you're more than welcome. Let's go. First off to Steve and Lynz. Steve, welcome your first ISS hour with Julie Sullivan talking about long COVID.
Speaker 3: Yes, how you doing it?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 3: I never got checked. I've never had the call. They had the flu from a flu shot, and I got COVID in twenty twenty one on our tour of fourteen and I spent four months in the Mass General in six weeks in a coma in five weeks. One how to walk. I just don't want to bother everybody because I know your phone is probably busy.
Speaker 1: And so wait a second, so they gave me a Steve, Steve, just pay with me for a second. You've thrown a lot at us. Let's absorb it because your experience is important to talk about. So you had never really been someone who who contracted this stuff? Is what you? What I think you said? Did? You were a pretty healthy individual?
Speaker 3: Very very okay?
Speaker 4: Ed?
Speaker 1: Did you go ahead and get the COVID shots or no?
Speaker 3: In twenty one No, I didn't even know there was anything out there that early.
Speaker 1: Okay, so walk.
Speaker 4: Available.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, just listen to what Julie's going to ask you here, Okay, please. You know, I know you want to get your story out, and I want to get it out because I think it's going to be important. But you just got to also give us a chance to interact with you. Julie, you had a question or a comment for Steve.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Steve contracted COVID before all of the vaccinations are readily available, and I'm so sorry that you experienced that. It's not unusual, you know, people get very stick with COVID, but there's just something that they don't quite understand yet in our DNA or our immune system that individual to each person that dictates how your body responds to COVID. And so you had no reason to think that this virus would affect you so badly. But it's it's just a special kind of virus. And I'm so sorry that you went through that, and you're continuing to go through that.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you a question, Steve. You said that you contracted COVID in October of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, October fourteenth. Even though I was sick, I had double pneumonia, just like I had a problem breathing. Were you passed out during I was going to the bathroomen, I passed out and thank god somebody was there to call me an ambulance.
Speaker 1: Were you aware? Were you aware, Steve, that there were COVID shots that by October of twenty twenty one were available? Not really? Okay, so you don't remember.
Speaker 3: I could have That's that's another thing that happened. My memory is just my short term memories wiped out.
Speaker 1: How is this? Are you back to work or what's your life like today?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm disabled. It gave me neuropathy. My legs swello up, my cap on, my knees down, they swell up like four times the size of my normal's calf. Hey, my sense of smells not back. Even nobody's from me to be normal and.
Speaker 1: Seeing Steve, are you seeing doctors or are you in any sort of a program at all? Or no?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, yeah, I have a doctors and I've been checked by all cons of people. Plus i had ostio. Its like a deal with that, but it made that like three times as painful.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this question, Steve, if I could ask how old are you?
Speaker 3: I'm sick. I'm sixty to you right now.
Speaker 1: Sixty three. So it's a pretty good chance you might never work again.
Speaker 3: Oh I can barely. I can't walk a couple of hundred feet. I have to walk with a cane.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, Julie, Is I assume you deal with folks like Steve fairly frequently? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Is Steve you're your quintessential sort of patient or is he an exceptionally impacted patient?
Speaker 2: You know what Stinus describing is what COVID does. It causes an ongoing inflammatory and immune response, and that's why he's continuing to suffer to this day. You know, if it was a one and done and then you just could heal from it, like a stroke or something like that, that would be one thing, but the virus stays on in your system and continues to recapog and that's what makes recovery so challenging.
Speaker 1: What what advice would you have for Steve kN again? Should he be someone who's calling your program or should he be reaching out? Are there similar programs on the North Shore that might be more convenient for him? What can we do for him at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would recommend that. It sounds like, were you connected with MATH general still? Is that where you're hospitalized? Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, so it would be good to stay connected with them. You know, when it comes to along COVID programs, there's.
Speaker 5: Not a lot.
Speaker 2: We were very fortunate to have three here in the Boston area at Sigum and Women's and Beth Israel Deaconness of Boston Medical Center. But one thing, and we can talk a little bit more about this, is that what we offer is an addition to medical support for people experiencing long COVID and post hospital issues from COVID is access to clinical trials and then a lot of community support and the ability to connect with other people who have long COVID and understand what you're going through and so we have support groups and we do a lot of community building, and we have presentations from experts and the weekly newsletter to keep people updated on the latest with COVID research because of this changing. So I think it would be wonderful for you to be connected with something like that and then also get to maintain hope. You know, we really hope that in the next couple of years they're going to develop some focused treatments for COVID that will still up this ongoing effect that's having on your body. And well, you may not, you know, get back to one hundred percent, and it's likely you won't. Unfortunately, you might be able to feel better than you do now, and that's the hope that everybody can get at least better than they are now with good treatments.
Speaker 1: Julie, we're going to be able to give the number of the phone number for your facility, So could Steve call there and get some more specific guidance based upon where he lives if he calls there sometime in the next day or so.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely absolutely, And we see people from from across the state and people out of state as well.
Speaker 1: Great, Okay, Steve, we will give this number a couple of times between now and the end of the show. So why don't you get yourself a pencil piece of paper and we'll give the number that I would advise you to give a call tomorrow and they may have some some help for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, I just I just pray to God that nobody else goes for this because this is horror.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, just again, at least we're going to get you a contact number for you to call tomorrow and make that your task of the day. Thanks Steve, hanging there, buddy.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much for talking to me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, Thank you for calling. We take a quick break. My guest is Julie Sullivan. We're talking about long COVID. Julie is associated with Brigham and Women's Hospital. She has been dealing with this battle now for years. Your questions are welcome. And Julie, why don't we give that number out at least now, and then we'll give it out a couple more times. How can people reach out to the recovery group at Brigham and Women's and maybe get referred on or maybe become a member of your greer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to struss that if you if you want to be in our program, you are in our program. We don't have enrollment criteria. You don't have to be seeing a doctor at Britain and Women's in order to be in our program. We want everyone who suffering effects of COVID to be part of our long COVID community and have access to the resources that we have. Okay, So I'll keep you.
Speaker 5: The phone number.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep at six yep five two five m three six six five.
Speaker 1: Okay, So six one seven five two five three six sixty five and I assume that's a nine to five number.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, Okay, great, We'll.
Speaker 1: Be back with Julie Sullivan talking about long COVID. Your calls, your comments, your questions are welcome. We'll do this until about ten o'clock and we're going to change topics at ten o'clock. So get on the line right now. One line at six one seven, two five four to ten thirty. One line at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. This is an opportunity to for you to ask questions or maybe even like Steve, find some support, if not help. Back on Night Side right after the news. We're a little late for the news, but here it comes right now. You're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WAZ Boston's news Radio. All right, we're talking with Julie Sullivan. She is the program manager for the COVID Recovery Center at Brigaman Women's Hospital. We gave that number earlier six one seven, five two five three, six sixty five. We will give it a couple of more times between now and ten o'clock. Let's keep rolling here, going to go to Larry out of the Cape. Larry, you are involved in this matter of fact. You are the person who suggested Julie join us. Thank you for that suggestion, go right.
Speaker 6: Ahead, Thank you for discussing this most important subject. And thank you Julie for everything to do for our group. I've been struggling since November of twenty twenty one. And I was healthy. I'm an avid. I was an avid mountain biker. I'd go out and do fifteen twenty miles. And the problem that I'm dealing with is if you don't if people that don't know anybody with long COVID, they think it's just a virus, they don't bother testing, and they look at me and they say jeez, Larry, you look great, but they don't realize what I'm struggling with. One of the it's a roll of coaster ride. So my problem is yesterday I was on my favorite trails down in Brewster and Howish mountain biking. I kept it to half my normal distance. I felt really good. Today I woke up and it's called a crash. My whole body just shut down because I did too much. And I have to learn to pace myself and the doctor. The mainstream doctors, like Julie said, they don't know what to do. And I'm fortunate enough to have a functional medicine doctor that I'm dealing with, and I've been taking some herbal supplements and I might gradually be getting better, but it's a lot. It's been what four years now, and it's been a tough battle.
Speaker 1: Julie, I assume that you've heard that type of story before.
Speaker 2: Correct, yes, yes, and you know. And Larry's a wonderful advocate for people going through this condition. And what he said is absolutely true is that it's an invisible condition. People may look okay from the outside, but you don't realize how much they're suffering and how limited they are. And yes, what Larry's describing is called post exertional malaise, and it's a systemic, whole body reaction when you push yourself too far. It's not like your regular fatigue. If you have a hard workout and you feel sore and tired the other day. The next day, this is a profound fatigue. People may run a fever. They see you're very ill, and it can take a long time to feel better, days and sometimes weeks to crawl out of a crash.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's amazing at what you've described, you know, over the years to us, and again thanks for suggesting. Uh, Julie, she's She's clear and concise and right to the point. Thank you so much, as all tomorrow. Hope you.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: We go next to Raise Up and Lowell Ray You are next on Nice Ie with Julie Sullivan of the Long covid SE, the COVID of Recovery Center at Brigaman Women's Hospital in Boston.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, right, Hi, Dan, Hi Dan, Hi, Julie.
Speaker 1: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, hey, I just wanted to make a statement and then ask a question and then I'll hang up and listen to the response. If that's okay.
Speaker 1: I make your statement, ask you a question, and don't don't hang out.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, okay. I was watching the show last night on a station called day Star, and there's a show that they have on there. I think this is really important for your listener. And I was wondering what Julie thought about this, Uh, this day Star network, and it's there's a show on there called Joni Jo and I Table Talk and they had a doctor on there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: His name is Brian Artists a R D I S. And he was dealing with this long COVID sence situation and he bam on the show last night that there are two studies, one I think he said, was in Great Britain, one in France, and some entity is testing this theory in the United States. But anyway, what he claimed was he said with long COVID. He said, they found in the France and the Great Britain study that not ninety percent, not eight percent, but one hundred percent of the people that did what I'm going to say now recovered from long COVID. And he said, if they put on a I think he said seven milligram nicotine patch on their skin for six days that the long COVID goes away, and he said the study was not ninety nine percent effective, but was one hundred percent effective with those tested. He has a book out and it's called The Nineteen Myths of COVID, And again the doctor's name is doctor Brian Artists. Aidis the question I had is if Julie ever heard of him, and if he's heard of this book, the nineteen Mess of COVID by Brian Artist and the a of this nicotine patch study along COVID suffers.
Speaker 1: So let's stay right here, stay right there. Let's let's get a response from Julie and this this okay, this sounds almost too good to be true.
Speaker 4: Julie, I know what those Yeah, I know what those Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard of Brian Artists, but I'm really interested now. I will definitely look him up and look that book up. I have heard of nicotine patches and that is being used as a treatment. It's helping some people significantly with fatigue and with brain fog. There are a few studies that are going on right now testing it. What we find this long COVID frustratingly is that we haven't found one treatment that works for everyone, and there seem to be different subtypes of COVID, and so for some people a nicotine patch, which does certain things with the seat of coline receptors, can really help their symptoms, and then for other people it doesn't help. So it is being studied and we are we are using it here as well and suggesting it to certain patients. It comes with risks, you know, you'd have to really clear it with your doctor. It could increase your heart rate, and you want to make sure that it's a healthy thing for you to do. Some people who have tried the nicotine patch had to discontinue it because it made them feel really sick. So it's not a panacea, unfortunately, but it is one of the treatments that's being used for long COVID.
Speaker 4: And again I had one other quests and Dan, I feel proment me.
Speaker 1: I got to be quick, go ahead, rakes them up my break or right ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I understand, I understand. And he was a big proponent of ivermectum. He said that it's not getting the positivity that the international medical community has given and he said it's not just what the people have claimed in the past, but it was a horse tranquilize and something like that. But anyway, doctor, I'm on the nineteen miths of covid or something like that, and I just wanted to bring that to your attention and the Jeweler's attention and hopefully you can learn more about that than what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, Ray, I'm remex it something that's tossed around quite a bit. I don't know if you want to me to answer now or if you need to take a break and come back to it.
Speaker 1: No, I could take a quick answer again. I know that there were some who suggested that, well, I think that that the key the drug, that the treatment that people have agreed upon is paxlovid. That if you get paxlovid. I know once when I had COVID, I got paxlovid early, based upon my daughter's recommendation, and it really kept it under control and knocked it out of my system quickly. I'm not an expert, and I've a mcdeane or some of the other drugs that have been bandied about.
Speaker 2: What's your thought on, Yeah, I think you want to be wary of drugs that are being that are not being recommended by scientists and researchers. You know, I remecon this one that people talk about a lot. It also has been really researched and found to be not effective and not even halfway consistently effective, And so it's one of those things that kind of perpetuates itself as a conspiracy, but it's I really discourage people from expecting that to help them and using that as a treatment instead of an anti viral like you Like you mentioned, so there are some good solid treatments for COVID, and that's what we want to aim people too, is to go look for the anti virals and look for anti the anti inflammatories and some of the target medications that are specifically for COVID.
Speaker 1: Well well, pack packslovid works really well, as I understand that if you take it close to the onset of COVID, the later you go, the less effective it is. Has packed loa been investigated all for long COVID treatments or is it ineffectual?
Speaker 2: Funny you mentioned that, So packedlovid is being investigated for long COVID and there's a big clinical trial that has just wrapped up. We hope to have the results at the end of April. It's an NIH study called recover Vital, and they're using extended courses of pax slovid, so in this case, fifteen day and twenty five day courses of pax slovid to see if that can clear all of the viral remnants and alleviate long COVID symptoms. And they're using a very specific test that was developed at Harvard and BWh that can detect the smallest viral proteins in the blood because even those small viral proteins can trigger your immune system and keep it as an activated inflammatory state. So it's definitely being explored for that reason. It stops the virus from replicating when you have active COVID, and I highly recommend it for people if for some reason you can't take paxxlovid because it does have some effects on the kidneys and liver. There is there's lagrevo, which is an alternative to paxloviad, not quite as effective, but better than than nothing. So you want to stop that virus from replicating as quickly as possible, get it out of your system, because if you allow it to dig in and make it self comfortable, that's when you run into two real problems in long COVID.
Speaker 1: All right, well, take a quick break, my guess. Julie Sullivan, program manager with the COVID Recovery Center at brigam And Women's Hospital in Boston. The number that you can reach tomorrow. Uh, you may not be able to get to Julie tomorrow. You get to her between now at midnine if you call. But tomorrow you can reach the recovery center at six one seven five two five three six sixty five. I surely hope that Steve, who did not seem to be aware of the recovery center, takes an effort makes an effort to make that phone call six one seven five two five three six sixty five. If you like to ask a question of Julie, make a comment six one seven two five four ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Back on Night Side with a concluding segment with Julie Sullivan, program manager of the COVID Recovery Center at brigam And Women's House Hospital. A lot of great information that Julie has provided us and perspective, and I think it's something that in this approximately the five year anniversary of the arrival of COVID in the United States with the full force and impact that it had, which we must never forget. I think it's a timely conversation and I appreciate those who have called back on Nightside right after this. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios.
Speaker 5: I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Back to the phones for Julie Sullivan, program manager of the COVID of Recovery Center at Brigman Women's Hospital, the Long COVID Recovery Center. Dawn and Kill remain down. Next on Nightside, go right ahead.
Speaker 5: I wanted to call in because I have similar problems as Steven talk to you about. I had brain fog and malluch. I can't balance walking, you know, very Stroggs struggle walking, okay, And I get this about a year and a half ago, and I had all of had all of shots and you know, the updates and everything. But I got it, and then my doctor's here, I can't seem to figure out what to do for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to suggest, don even though you're in meane, give this number tomorrow a call at the Long COVID Recovery Center. It is it's a good group of people. You can speak, talk to someone and get into more specifics of your circumstances. But we've given the number a couple of times. We'll give it again six one seven, five two five three six sixty five, and we'll give it one more time before we say good night to Julie.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, Thank Don.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of maners in our program, so you'll find your your people with us.
Speaker 5: Help you, and they were never heard of that. It's good as you program.
Speaker 1: And I assume I assume that a lot of it can be done remotely correct. You don't necessarily have to physically come to Boston. Maybe you might want to, but but you can do a lot remotely correct.
Speaker 5: Joy correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of our the four troops are online and the only thing you'd have to come down for is medical appointments, but most most everything else is online and virtual.
Speaker 1: All right, Don hang in there and we'll get this number one more time. Get ready to write it down. Okay, Okay, thanks, don appreciate it. Let me go to ann and San Antonio, Texas and like to get you in quickly. You've called late, but I'll make an exception for you.
Speaker 7: Go ahead in Thank you real quick I've had some long covids. This fatigue especially I had I never took I had covidch wise, never took medicine for it, and I just for information purposes, I had the unfortunate circumstance of having to take a back lavier at a different anti viral, and some of those symptoms have disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you probably just vals lavier, and that is an antiviral that's also being studied for long COVID. There's a big clinical trial going on right now. And a lot of these viruses are related. And so the epstein bar virus when losses mono and a lot of the herpes viruses are all kind of part of the same family, and COVID can kick up other viruses, can you can reawaken ebstein bar and so some of the same anti virals that work for the viruses can also help with long kovid. So I'm so glad that's helping you.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks, I hope that helps a little bit. We're going to give this number you can call them from Texas to tomorrow as well.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm fine, I'm fine, but thank you very much. I just wanted to share that.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you, damn thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay here and talk to you soon. Let's go to Michael and Medford. Michael, you're going to wrap the hour for us.
Speaker 5: I think go right ahead, Michael, Okay, I just yes, I agree with very good. I'd recommend anyone to watch it.
Speaker 1: I have no idea who you're talking about here, Michael, if you want to publicize someone else, why are you calling my show? I have a guest who's an expert here. Do you have a question for Julie Sullivan?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Also Hydrochael.
Speaker 1: We got about thirty seconds left if you want. If you want to ask a question, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Hydroxy clorcoin Is that being used for long COVID or.
Speaker 7: Prevention?
Speaker 5: Still?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, that's also been really discounted by the researchers for COVID. And you encourage people really to go towards the ones that have been shown to work against the COVID virus specifically, and those are things like the anti virals and sending our things are prescribing out of Long COVID Center. So we really encourage people to contact the Long COVID Center if you're looking to get help, because we can really help you focus and get the right treatments.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your call, Michael, Julie. Let me give that number one more time. Folks write it down, Rob, make a note of it in case anyone needs to call you. Six one seven five two five three six six five Julie Sullivan, As always, I appreciate your work for you, it's a labor of love. Thank you for doing it, and thank you for joining us tonight.
Speaker 2: As always, thanks for having me. Nice to see you, Nice to talk to you.
Speaker 1: All right, Julie, we'll talk soon when we come back. Right after the ten o'clock news. I've got an announcement that I think some of you might be very interested in. I will explain, and we'll also talk about the New Hampshire US Senate race. New Hampshire once again may become a battleground state for control of the US Senate. Back right after the tent