Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 4: So just thank you, give me are your attention, your fire and not a pisson. This is world champion, Dodger, world champion.
Speaker 5: Put a small soft time they get a people what they want to die to in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache. One of a con. This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 4: Hell time go to the South. Grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 5: And go to the show.
Speaker 4: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vas say.
Speaker 7: We are live in Miami after the Dodgers defeat the Marlins by a final score of seven to four. David Va say, with you until eight o'clock on Dodger Talk, taking your phone calls at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It's been a while since I've been back in the saddle doing my day job of postgame Dodger Talk. We had a rain delay Dodger Talk in Atlanta. But it's great to be back with you here. I love doing Dodger talk. It was awesome filling in on sports Net LA on the sidelines. I hate to break it to everybody, but the Dodgers were four and oh with me being that close to the Dodger dugout. But nonetheless, it was seven game winning streak that came to an end last night in Atlanta, and I felt like last night was a great indication of what I say is often about this Dodger team and the games they play. I felt like the Braves survived the Dodgers more than beating the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: But you know, obviously they get the win.
Speaker 7: But the Dodgers won the series to start their longest road trip of.
Speaker 5: The year ten games and ten days.
Speaker 7: And the Dodgers have won the first three out of four tonight with a seven to four win over the Marlins. And how about Ben Casparius pitching four innings in relief bulk innings relief. Him and Yoshinubu Yama Moto now have the most wins on the Dodgers pitching staff. If I would have told you that in spring training that on single de Mayo, Ben Casparius and Yamamoto would have the most wins on the Dodger pitching staff. You might have looked at me a little crazy, but that's where they're at. Casparius four and zero, Kirby Yates with his first save of the year, a big night for Otani, for Freddie Freeman, and more importantly for Hayes Song Kim, who got his first major league start tonight, was two for four, drove in his first run, stole his second base, and like I mentioned during.
Speaker 5: The Clubhouse show, I loved.
Speaker 7: Seeing Otani get excited for Kim in the dugout more than his own home run. And we're starting to see that, right, We're starting to see Otani showed that other side of his personality, similar to what we saw if you were with us after that three hour rain delay in Atlanta at one thirty Eastern time. Otani joining us after the win, and when I asked him about his home run, he started with the answer talking about Roki Sazaki's first major league win. So all of a sudden, now we're seeing that unselfish side, not only on the field, but in his answers in his actions. By show, Hey Otani, and kudos to our guy Jonathan rb from cama Rio, the Dodgers trainer who is part of those bullpen dogs. He's the trainer that is out there just in case to monitor those relievers.
Speaker 5: He caught Otani's one hundred and.
Speaker 7: Eighteen mile an hour home run as he snow coned the catch with his glove out there, and all the relievers were going crazy for Jonathan IRBs, So congratulations to him. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. I see you and I see we have a couple of lines open. Before we go to the phones, I want to head downstairs to the manager's office to hear from Dave Roberts, because maybe the only downer of this win for the Dodgers is the fact that tae Oscar Hernandez had to leave this game early due to left hamstring tightness. Let's hear from the Dodger manager to get more details.
Speaker 8: You know, he's, uh, he's gonna get it right tomorrow. So it's been uh, you know, I got worried that it was it was tight. You know, there's a hamstring and adductor and he's a guy that just doesn't come out of games, you know. By way of injuries. So that's a little concerning given the person. So we're going to get some pictures and see how it is tomorrow.
Speaker 9: Just considering that, I guess you talked about kind of the concern level. But is this something that you're hoping if maybe there was an Eyeleston it could just be that, or do you think it's something you're going to have to keep an eye on for some time or tomorrow will be very talent.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow be telling.
Speaker 8: We're in talks right now of who we're going to bring. We are going to bring someone to potentially activate our taxi. I'm not sure who that is right now, but yeah, tomorrow will be telling, but we are. It's certainly an option of that.
Speaker 10: Did you deal with running the first or a hit or like one of these sorts?
Speaker 8: I think he felt it when he was breaking for that ball in the gap.
Speaker 10: How impressive was nice on Ken tonight?
Speaker 1: He was great?
Speaker 8: You know, just I think the other night, you know him on the basis shows his kind of fearlessness, and for him to come in here and thought a knock, get a couple of hits and you played good defense, it was just really exciting and he just does that sparked to our ball club, cat.
Speaker 10: Just step into this and sort of feel like you play free and easy right away for you guys.
Speaker 8: I think part of is he was one of the better players in the KBO. I think when you're elite at whatever level, there's a certain confidence that you have, and he just has that and he's just not afraid, which is good have received it.
Speaker 6: Probably has kind of felt his relationship to show Hey.
Speaker 10: I know, obviously Showy made sure to celebrate the moment with after that whole run.
Speaker 8: You know what, I think that yeah, with Showhey, But I honestly think that everyone loves Heyesng Kim. Everyone does. So everyone's pulling for him, Everyone's happy. He's just a great teammate, all right.
Speaker 7: There's manager Dave Roberts after tonight's seven to four win for the Dodgers, and he's right, everybody loves Hay Song Kim. Going back to spring training, he's a great teammate. Everybody loves being around him. So certainly a guy that is a popular teammate, and he had a great first start in the major leagues tonight. He was called up over the weekend in Atlanta and with the injury to Tommy Edmund going on the il at that sore right ankle, and Kim tonight got his first major league started second base, played great second base, had great baseball instincts there, and had great baseball instincts again on the basis like we saw last night in the ninth inning, saw it again tonight, stole another base, drove in his first run in the sixth inning, got his first major league hit in the fifth inning. So a really great night, and like Dave Roberts said, a different dimension that the Dodgers really haven't had that at the bottom of the orders. Certainly, as I mentioned with Jose Mota, Gavin Lux plus runner I guess, but no, nothing close to Hayesan Kim, and Miguel Rojas is thirty six years old now and a part time player. So the Dodgers kind of need that type of guy, and certainly would be a tremendous dynamic at the nine hole for the Dodgers to turn the line up over and have a guy like him on base more times than not. I'm not gonna say that he's gonna do this every single night, but if he can get on base at least twice a night.
Speaker 5: Every two to three games.
Speaker 7: That would be huge for the Dodgers because that would just make like we saw tonight's Sandy al Cantra be a little bit distracted where he makes a mistake pitch to show hey O Tani and he hits it a long way like he did tonight as the Dodgers win seven to four. Also, before we go back to the phone calls, I just want one pack what Dave Roberts had to say about Taoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 5: That doesn't sound good.
Speaker 7: And you may say, well, the Dodgers could call somebody else up. They got enough guys. I hate to break this to you, but Tony Edmond and Taoscar Hernandez have been the most consistent players for the Dodgers offensively all season long. Taoscar Hernandez is hitting three point fifteen after two more hits tonight, with an ops of nine thirty three, and he leads Major League Baseball with Aaron Judge in RBIs. He has been invaluable hitting behind Otani, Betts and Freeman.
Speaker 5: Who's going to take that role.
Speaker 7: It's one thing to say, Okay, we could call a player up and maybe move Pahez to right. Maybe have Kim play Moore's center field, But who's going to fill his shoes as the right handed hitter hitting cleanup behind Otani, Betts and Freeman.
Speaker 5: That's the bigger question.
Speaker 7: It's not who can fill in defensively and you move the puzzle pieces, especially if Taoskar's out for an extended period of time, and when you're talking about adductor and hamstrings, that's not a fifteen day period of time that you're out. You're out weeks and look big picture, the Dodgers can handle it, but that probably means Will Smith hitting cleanup. And Will Smith has been one of the best hitters with runners in scoring position, so now well he is going to have to be that guy hitting cleanup to be able to deliver in those situations. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We'll head back downstairs for a more more postgame reaction later in the show, and also you'll hear from Joe Tory our extended conversation with the Hall of Fame manager coming up at seven forty tonight. Let's go out to Hemmett Glenn. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Miami, Hi Glenn.
Speaker 10: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk to you about Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 10: How has he been doing?
Speaker 1: Where is your schedule to start?
Speaker 3: I hope it's on May nineteenth with then Scorry babehad night.
Speaker 7: Well, Kershaw can be activated on May seventeenth. That's the time that he can be activated. Dave Roberts mentioned May tenth, but I counted sixty days being May seventeenth, so right there in that week of May tenth to seventeenth, so that's when he should be back.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, thank you?
Speaker 7: Is that it all right? Thank you for the phone call. Let's go out to Artie and El Segundo. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassay.
Speaker 3: Hi, Artie, thank you for having me. It's a fortunate you know, the OSCO has done this, you know went out, you know the league leading RBI. But my question is off topic of baseball. What do you think about these patches? You know, I've been trying to ask and I can't get an answer. You know, they have these Google hand patches and the Fernando patches. Some players have them opposite than others. Why is that? I mean, it shouldn't be uniform being all similar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 7: I haven't taken a close enough look at that, but it could be what hand they throw with, or if you're a pitcher, which arm you throw with, because you don't want to have it's kind of clunky those patches, especially the big Guggenheim one, so I could imagine them having it on their glove side.
Speaker 3: I'll take you very much.
Speaker 7: All right, thanks for the phone call, already appreciated. Yeah, I guess those are the things that make you go hmmm. As our Sineo Hall used to say, let's go out to my hometown of Woodland Hills A Meir. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Miami.
Speaker 6: Hi, am here, Hey Dave, first time caller, A huge fan of yours. I just wanted to ask you if I can get your If I could get your your your special edition makers Mark uh Dodgers bottle, I couldn't find one, so could I have yours?
Speaker 3: My what.
Speaker 10: You're to your Maker's Mark La Dodgers the World series one that you got?
Speaker 7: Geez, you follow me on Instagram, don't you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did post that during the holidays. They sent me one.
Speaker 7: I can't remember if I still have it or I gave it to somebody else some here.
Speaker 3: All good, All good.
Speaker 10: I just had two questions. The first is, I'm not really too worried about the offense, even with ta Oscar and Edmund being out, I'm not worried about it. My question is with with Michael Conforto, with the struggles he's having right now, if he doesn't really pick it up, and who would And if I Sung Kim keeps playing well, who's the odd man out in that situation? And next, my second question is what do you think about the Dodgers defense overall as have made improvement since the beginning of the season.
Speaker 3: That's it, all right?
Speaker 7: And here, if I haven't given away that Maker's mark Dodger bottle, I don't know if I could give it to you, but I'll see what I could do in place of it. But anyway, thank you for the phone call. And yes, I do believe the Dodger defense has improved. And as far as Michael Conforto goes, I feel like he has been the least talked about slumping Dodger because into the sixth inning, coming into the sixth inning tonight, he was oh for his last thirty one, he got a single and I'm sure he was exhaling in that sixth inning, so he snapped an zero for thirty one slump. He's not going anywhere. The Dodgers signed him to big money during the off season. The Dodgers believe he's going to hit. I know a lot of coaches believe that he's going to hit. It's just unfortunate he went into that extended slump. And as far as who would take his spot or who's taken whose spot in the outfield right now, it's not as crowded as it was before the game with the injury to Taoscar Hernandez. Now, who are the Dodgers considering It would be one of three players I would imagine that they are considering calling up from their forty man roster. Number one would be James Outman, who has started to swing the bat a lot better in the minor leagues. He gives the Dodgers a left handed bat, something that they really don't have. They did sign a Stereo Ruiz, who's a speedster from the oh Glenn Slash Vegas as he's on the forty man roster, and another player that's not on the forty man roster, but is going to be a major league player for the Dodgers sooner rather than later.
Speaker 5: Is Alex Freeland.
Speaker 7: He could play third, he could play short, so he gives you an option at third base if Munsey continues to struggle. So those would be my three picks of who is going to be called up with Teoscar Hernandez likely going on the injured list. We're gonna take a time out here live from Miami. When we come back, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy a fan favorite retire Today, we'll share which former Dodger announced his retirement on Instagram. You'll hear from the legend Joe Torre as well, and we'll hear from Ben Casparius after he improves his record of four to oh out of the bullpen for the Dodgers as they beat the Marlins seven to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan on.
Speaker 5: One and Freddie Hammers won the center field. This Paul heading back, This Paul on the way, he is gone.
Speaker 2: Home run Freddy Freeman a tu uh two run homer Hamma Dodgers later three and up in home run number seven for Freeman.
Speaker 5: He extends his hitting straight to ten games, and he.
Speaker 7: Is now tied for the most home runs against the Marlins all time with forty one. Freddie Freeman forty first career home run against the Marlins tyson with Ryan Zimmerman and Ryan Howard for the most home runs hit against the Marlins franchise. More importantly, Freddie Freeman, with that home run, hits his three hundred and fiftieth career home run, making him just the one hundred and first player in baseball history to achieve that milestone. As Freeman helps the Dodgers beat the Marlins tonight seven to four, Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game.
Speaker 5: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 7: Eight six, six, nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers come back and beat the Marlins after losing on Sunday Night Baseball last night. They have won three of the first four on this road trip, the longest road trip of the season, ten games in ten days, and you have to give the Dodgers some credit. I know they're highly paid professional athletes. I get it, but you have to take into consideration. They start the road trip in Atlanta, they have to endure a three hour and six minute rain delay before first pitch is thrown. Game ends at one thirty one, forty Eastern time. They have to come back the next day play Sunday Night Baseball and then fly to Miami overnight and arrive at their hotel close to three a m. And then play in front of a sparse crowd here in Miami and generate the adrenaline and energy to beat the Marlins. They were able to do that seven to four tonight against Miami, and they went with basically a bullpen game. It started with Jack Dryer, it ended with Kirby Yate's first save as a Dodger. But in between a big way, Ben Casparius being the most versatile pitcher on this staff comes in in bulk relief for four innings and only gives up one earned run to improve his record of four to ozhero. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from the very strong and casparious. Yeah.
Speaker 11: I felt like the first inning was just kind of getting the rust off a little bit. Then I started to settle in the next three or so and I felt good overall. It was good to kind of, you know, get to that seventy pitch mark. It's been a while since I've done that, and overall felt pretty good.
Speaker 9: You find it's just kind of like a natural build up for you. I mean, Dave Roberts was saying he kind of wants to keep you in that sixty seventy range.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I felt like I felt solid after fifty four last week, and again I figured it was going to be closer to seventy and I'm glad to reach that mark, but I felt good.
Speaker 9: Sounds like the next one will be more of like a yes, traditional routine. That's something I guess it will be kind of nice to have, just considering whether it's kind of a bullpen. And now in a sense stepping into the rotation.
Speaker 11: For sure, and again like whatever the role is, whether it's you know, following an opener like Jack getting a traditional start, I think just getting back on that routine. It's been encouraging obviously, you know, not having to be ready to go every single day out of the book, and just the changes are really more just in the training room, in the weight room and kind of how I'm distributing my time. But I feel comfortable with.
Speaker 5: That, all right.
Speaker 7: There's Ben Casparius, and that's what he told me when I asked him at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: If you're thrust into.
Speaker 7: A new role where either you're starting or coming in every fifth day as the bulk innings pitcher and Dave Roberts indicated before the game, this is not going to be the last time Casparius does this. Five or six days from now, he's going to be in the same role, maybe even starting. And he said, you know what, it's not going to change. If I need to come into a game two days before I'm going to pitch, that would substitute as.
Speaker 5: My bullpen games.
Speaker 7: So he told me the biggest difference is what and when he goes into the weight room and how much he does before or in between these starts. So that's the biggest adjustment for Caspiraus. And he told me candidly, basically, I want to do whatever they want me to do because I don't want to go to Oklahoma City. So if they want me to start, I'll do it. If they want me to come out of the bullpen for an inning, I'll do it. If they want me to come in for multi innings, I'll do it. I'll do whatever it takes to stay in the big leagues. And he's not going anywhere. And let's not forget he was unflappable as a rookie making his first start for the Dodgers in a World Series game at Yankee Stadium, Game four, and he pitched really well. So kudos to benk Casparrius. All Right, we're gonna get to our interview now with Joe Torrey. I had a chance to catch up with the Hall of Fame manager that won four World Championships in pinstripes and really was the guy that steered the ship for that dynasty with Jeter and Pasada and Pettit and those guys, and Joe Torre's Yankees were the last major league team to repeat his champions twenty five years ago. I wanted to tap into a guy that knows about navigating a winning team a winning culture more than anybody, since they were the last team not only to repeat, but to repeat in Major League Baseball. So here's my conversation with the Hall of Fame manager Joe Tory.
Speaker 1: You know, David, it's great coming back. You know, you you come to Los Angeles and I know when I left, When I left the Yankees and I had the opportunity to come out here, you don't know really what to expect. You know. The first thing that comes to your mind is that when I was a player, you couldn't escape. It was always drysdown in Kofax. So it was a little frightening to come out here at that time. The one thing I did learn when I came out here is the passion the fans have. And you know, I know the Lakers are huge and uh, but the Dodgers really have a following. That that was was so reassuring me.
Speaker 7: Joe, I saw you from across Camelback Ranch this spring. You obviously were patrolling those fields when you were managing the Dodgers were you taken aback by the popularity of the Dodgers even in spring training?
Speaker 1: You know, I was fortunate enough David to come on board in two thousand and eight when they were still in Bureau, and I got a little taste of the history.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You walk in in through that clubhouse and you see all the photos from the Dodger teams that I used to hate because I was a Giants fan. But you always respected, you know, because they were always there. I know, they said wait till next year, wait till next year, and they finally won a World Series in fifty five, but they were always right there on the precipice. And you know, whether you liked him or you didn't like him, they were always there and you had to respect that fact.
Speaker 5: Joe.
Speaker 7: Before we get back in to baseball, I definitely want to shine a light on the reason why you are back in Los Angeles. It's your annual Joe Tory Safe at Home gallop. This is a special one because the proceeds benefit Safe at Homes Margaret's place, and with the fires that have displaced not only families but students, a lot of these proceeds are going to help build a safe at home at the Series building on Third Street Promenade for all those Pally High kids and the kids that are affected from K through twelve.
Speaker 1: Well, it was so devastating. I mean, my wife Ali and I came through La actually right at the start of the fires. We were on our way to Hawaii, and it just was devastating. It was so frightening. And then to see the result, you know.
Speaker 3: And of course.
Speaker 1: Last time I was here, we went out to Pally High to you know, just hang out with the with the baseball team, and Billy Crystal was was nice enough to come out and join me and we had a little, you know, a little chat with the baseball team, you know, because it's devastating all of a sudden. You know, you're a young man, you're going to school, you're playing on the baseball team, and all of a sudden your school is gone. It's you know, it's frightening. But the one thing about it, and we tried, Billy and I tried to did stress to the team. You know that's that really reunites you and unite you, I should say, unite you together and you rely on each other because it's tough going through life. By yourself and then you know, I think the team concept really really was magnified at this point in time.
Speaker 3: But it was so.
Speaker 1: Devastating what happened in LA and it I'm just pleased now that we, you know, we were able to do some good and go out and talk to the kids at Pally and and in fact, I'm gonna, you know, head over there tomorrow to spend some time. But it was it was great that they were able to, you know, have a Margaret's Place, Margaret's Place obviously is named after my mom, and be there for the kids because that's our future, David, as you know, and you know, we're we're pleased to do it. And I'm very touched that, you know that it's been received so well in the in the LA area, we have we have more Margaret's Places in schools here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Than we do in New York.
Speaker 1: And that's where that's where we originally got started.
Speaker 5: That's really special.
Speaker 7: Eighteen Margaret's Place is in the area of Los Angeles. And to support this great cause that Joe Tory started in honor of his mother, go to Joetory dot org. And Joe, like you said, as adults, we always have to worry about how we're going to support the family when disasters like this happened in Alta, Dina and the Palisades. But through your own experience, sometimes the kids are the ones that we forget, and those are the ones that have a lot of trauma that they need a place like Margaret's Place to go to.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I grew up with that, and that's how we originally came to start our Safe at Home Foundation. My dad was abusive to my mom. I never was physically abused, but you know, I learned as a grown up. You know, first off, I was a very shy kid. I didn't even go out didn't even go out for the high school baseball team as a freshman because I didn't think I was good enough. So I come to learn how later on that you know what, my dad, the fear that he brought to the home, our home every day, it took effect on me. Even though I wasn't physically abused, the emotional scars they that never go away. And once I was able to, you know, feel I needed to talk about it. It was something I kept inside. And having a Margaret's Place gives these youngsters a chance to realize they're not alone and they're not the only ones that are going through this, so that, you know, if I think back, and you know, had some place to go or share it with anybody, because I never did share it with any of my friends growing up. And I just felt very blessed that I had the ability to play baseball because it gave me a place to hide.
Speaker 7: Jill, like you said, you didn't have a Margaret's place, You didn't have a Joe Tory that would set up eighteen in Los Angeles or New York. Where did you turn the corner in your life? Where did you find that inner strength?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it was interesting.
Speaker 3: I was just.
Speaker 1: I was with the Cardinals and I was fired in June of ninety five, and my wife Ali was pregnant with our daughter, Andrea, and we were living in Cincinnati at the time because when I was fired in Saint Louis, my Alli is from Cincinnati and she has plenty of family there. So I knew if I was going to go look for a job, that she was going to be surrounded by family. I wouldn't leave her, you know, by herself. So we moved to Cincinnati and then it was like late November. There was like a seminar that was going on at a holiday inn symposium type thing, and Alie says to me, you want to go with me? Well, she's eight months pregnant. I'm not about to say no to anything she asked me to do. And we went to this holiday end and it turned out to be like a self help type situation, a four day affair, And what it amounted to is if, like if you wanted to quit smoking or some you know, self help area where you needed some help doing those things. That's what it was there for. As soon as you walk in the front door, they separated Ali and I and they put us in a group of six or eight people. And you know, I think it was day two or three that there was a speaker and I can't tell you what he said. The only thing I could tell you is that he struck a nerve with me. Now, I thought I was born with this nervousness and and and the low self esteem, and just from what this speaker was talking about was letting me know that what my dad was doing to us in the home is what caused it. And it just freed me up to talk about it. Even though to this day it's still emotional for me, but at least I know it was something that happened to me, you know, during my lifetime, as opposed to being born this way, and it was something I was embarrassed to talk about before, but once I realized what the cause was, I wanted to share it. And you know, I remember the first school that we went to, you know, when we were just starting, say at home in New York, and I was talking to a classroom of young people and I said, we'll talk to We'll talk baseball in a minute, because there was a camera crew that followed us to do some b roll for our dinner, our first dinner, and I said, I'll talk about baseball in a minute. I said, but I just want to let you know what this camera crew is doing here. And I started talking about my dad was doing to my mom, and I looked out there and there was probably six or eight kids shaking their head yes. In other words, they know what I'm talking about. So I knew we struck a nerve at that point in time. And it was my wife who really had the idea to do, you know, start a foundation and do it through education, because if we're going to do our part to try to end the cycle of domestic violence. I think education is the way you have to, you know, go about it, because young people, if their only role model is an abusive parent, you got to let them know that that's not the right way to go about your life. So we realized that we struck a nerve. We touch a lot of kids, and we have twenty five thirty thousand kids that we're able to reach every year, and it's been really, really a great feeling for me because we know what we do works.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's really powerful, Joe, and I'm sure many of us would be surprised how many people we interact with that have been either physically or emotionally abused at home as a kid. And it's beautiful that Joe Torre and his wife Ali have started this safe at home program and you can support them at Joetory dot org. They have eighteen Margaret Places here in Los Angels and they are trying to help those that were displaced, those kids that were displaced by the fires in Altadena and the Pacific Palisades. Joe Tory is our guest, and Joe, since you're with us, I got to ask you. There's been so much hype around the Dodgers, and there's been so much talk about trying to do something that only your Yankees have done in the last twenty five years, and that's repeat as champions. What does it take to repeat as world champions in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 1: You know, that's a great question, David. You know, even the Red Sox when you know, when we had that rivalry all the time in New York, the Red Sox when they was, you know, finally did win a World Series, and then they won another World Series in another World Series, but they had trouble repeating. I think, you know, I don't know if it's just social media, but that's a big part of it. You know, you set your goals, and you know, when you finally, you know, achieve winning a World Series. I can't say you celebrate it all the time, but you know, if you if you say, you know, you reach the top of the mountain and you sort of exhale, it's so important to realize that you have to validate that and you still have to go and start all over again the next spring and and realize that, you know, you have to prove that what you did last year was not a fluke, and that was that was my mentality my first meeting, believe it or not, David with the Yankees, which I was very nervous to give because I knew how important it was if I was going to go into that situation, especially to a ball club that had gone to the playoffs the year before, and I had I had said and that I don't want to win one World Series, I want to win three in a row. And I said that the based on the fact that you know, I've watched all sports. I've watched you know, the team win the Super Bowl and then all of a sudden disappear the next year. And I just had a sense that, you know, we're not finished working at it. I think once you stop to admire what you've accomplished, you stop doing it. And I had a good group obviously that just never got tired of winning and just felt an obligation to go out there and and try to get, you know, get back to the top of the mountain again.
Speaker 7: Being around these Dodgers, it doesn't seem there like there's complacency, Joe, but it is a long regular season to even get to October. How did you treat the one hundred and sixty two game marathon the following year.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you you go and you know you've got the great manager, Dave Roberts, who you know, he always has that that half full attitude, the glass half full. You know, you really have to find a way to get things done. You can't dwell on things you don't have. You just have to, you know, accentuate the things you do have. My first year, we lost David Cone early in the year. He had an aneurysm, and I remember Don Zimmer saying to me, you know, if we lose Cone, we're you know, we're in big trouble. But you have to find a way to move on, you know, you just that that's the nature of the Beasts. You know, you work for six seven weeks in spring training, you get get ready for the season, and you owe it to yourself, You owe it to your team, and you owe it to the fans to go out there and find a way to get it done. And Dave Roberts is that guy in my mind, even though I didn't like him very much when he stole Second Date back in oh four, but we I got over that. I finally got over that, by the.
Speaker 5: Way, and it's how many years later.
Speaker 1: I still have waked, you know, I still wake in the middle of the night sometimes, but I maybe it'll roll over. So but it's it's it's not easy to do. Uh. You know, once you get to the top of the mountain, everybody's shooting at you. And they they always put on their Sunday best when they play you because they know it's a feather in their cap if they beat the Dodgers and they're the world champs. So it's just it's just something that you know, you you've got to you know, have a strong backbone and uh, and understand, nobody's gonna feel sorry for you, so you better get out there and work hards.
Speaker 7: Great wisdom from experience from one of the great men to ever put on the uniform as a player or a manager, and that is the one and only Joe Tory. Joe, thank you so much for the time and man, thank you again for doing what you're doing in Los Angeles. The Safe at Home Gala is on Thursday. If you'd like to donate to a great cause that is helping so many kids out there, go to Joetory dot org. Joe hope to see you out the ballpark soon and thank.
Speaker 1: You for your time anytime. Take care.
Speaker 7: All right, There was Hall of Fame manager Joe Tory. I had to share that full conversation with Joe Tory because a he's doing a great thing to help the people that were affected and the kids especially that were affected by the Palisades fire and also the fires in Alta Dina. We need to keep all of those people still in our forethoughts because they are still grinding through each and every day, and their homes are not rebuilt, and they're still looking for some normalcy in their lives. And certainly Joe Torrey and his wife Ali have done a great job with their foundation. You can help them out at Joe Tory dot org. And I loved his insight on what it will take to repeat as world champions, because the Dodgers seem to have that focus. And I loved what Joe Torrey had to say there. You can't admire what you did last year, and I've heard Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts talk about it. Yeah, they've handed out the rings to teammates that are no longer wearing Dodger blue, but they are not admiring what they did last year. Case in point, what they've done on this road trip already, the longest road trip of the year, that saw three hour rain delay in Atlanta Sunday Night baseball last night, arriving in their hotel rooms at two thirty yesterday, and they come out in a stadium that has zero energy and they beat the Marlins seven to four in resounding fashions. So the Dodgers have the veteran group to be able to hold each other accountable and do exactly what Joe Torrey's Yankees did. So a great message there from Joe Tory, the Hall of Fame manager, and the Dodgers, like I said, are applying that that'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk from Miami. Coming up tomorrow, Game two of this three game series between the Dodgers and Marlins. Tony Gonsolin we'll be making a second start of the season, second time facing the Marlins.
Speaker 5: In the last week.
Speaker 7: He went six innings, allowed US three earned runs, going up against Cal Quantrell, who got beat up by the Dodgers last week as well. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at two thirty tomorrow with first pitch at three forty. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank Studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Lone Depot Park, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 5: In case you missed any of the show.
Speaker 7: Or our pregame interview with Marlin's manager Clayton McCullough and David Cohne yesterday before Sunday Night Baseball, you can find it all on the iHeartRadio app. Make it your favorite, downloaded, subscribe all that on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: App once again.
Speaker 7: The final score tonight from Miami, the Dodgers defeat the Marlins seven to four.
Speaker 5: Have a great rest of your night. See um