Speaker 1: Talk.
Speaker 2: I want full assurance. Did any heat from Emily and dots on? Just you? I don't even want my name pulled into the shindy. Second you owe me sixth seeds, no rush, but I want your shake that they'll be home in not too much time.
Speaker 3: That's square. You did them after all, lay low to blow over stick on this. One of you will dish it to bury the other. You both get the rat as for the six as you borrow it. Yeah, and you won't. You shouldn't need a shake on that, all right? To both go, seal it up and blow for keeps.
Speaker 2: Third thing, the last break, it's yours. That's not the point I'm gonna start selling it. How do I know it's not bad?
Speaker 4: What would it be?
Speaker 2: Why was the last one? Because someone got greedy tug hears had the means to swipe half of it and cut it bad for a long time. Now we're splits. The loss of my trust is retroactive. Did you tell.
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: All right, let's shake him blow Not good enough? What would be good enough? I want to see him dose it just to prove it. It's none more square out for that.
Speaker 4: I didn't touch it.
Speaker 1: Junk, that's all.
Speaker 2: I want to see it to dose. It's proving something to me right here.
Speaker 5: Oh i'd better be. It's telling them that I ain't under your thumb no more that I ain't playing lapdog to no goddam grunt ball.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Cinemigos, a podcast all about expanding the cinematic horizons of its hosts.
Speaker 5: Matt, My god, I haven't been fun like that since Great School?
Speaker 1: Raw?
Speaker 4: Do I feel?
Speaker 1: Lucky Duck and hydro bird dodrunk?
Speaker 5: Why do younger than.
Speaker 1: Monday morning homeroom seven fifteen am. As I sit there reading Hello and Welcome to Cinemigos, a podcast all about expanding the cinematic horizons of its host and hopefully it's listeners. Carved into the desk, I think to myself, how I got here tonight? I'm presented with the usual suspects that may have had something to do with it. Let me spin it from the top, the fem fatale of movie trivia, Robbie the Brain, and the stoner behind the coffee and pie. Oh my, it's Matt. I'm your host, columbo Berg, investigator on the Case of the Dizzy Dame with my pick Tonight two thousand and Five's Brick, a modern day no war soaked film by Ryan Johnson. You boys, ready to test this Brick's authenticity.
Speaker 5: Let's do it. Let's snort it, let's figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take a little key bump. Actually, I don't think there's ever a moment in the movie with that kind of I never actually mentioned what kind of drug it is. I think we're just meant to assume it's cocaine, but we can get.
Speaker 5: To We're never Yeah, we're never given the actual description of what it is.
Speaker 4: They do that in this movie. They do the language really well to hide with.
Speaker 5: Obviously this is your pick, Heideberg or brick Berg. Why did you choose it for us?
Speaker 1: I chose this. I saw this years ago. It was like a blockbuster rental. It was one of those ones where you just like you to see it's a trailer on an independent film that you're rented, and you go and get that movie on one of the low or you know, lower wrongs. It's like The Down in the Middle, Yeah and the Middle. It was one of those movies, you know what I mean. And it just stood out to me and it was it just seemed interesting, and I rented it and I remember it, you know it It hitting in a way that I was just like, Oh, I get what they're going for here. That's interesting. The premise I thought was just interesting to cover, like a modern day take on a new war film, because we've done a bunch of new war films, but we haven't done too many like Neo Noar and this.
Speaker 5: Is this might this might be our first. Yeah, this might be our first. Uh and definitely a very different take on noir as well, which I'm really excited to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I thought that was interesting, and that's kind of why I picked it, because I just thought it would be a good thing to put up adjacent with one of the ones that you've chosen. So it's going to pick my time to pick a film.
Speaker 5: Obviously I haven't seen it, but Matt, had you seen this film before?
Speaker 4: No, I had never even heard of it. I did not know this.
Speaker 5: Movie existing same same here. I had never heard of it. So this was a fun So I'm excited for a it's a double bubble that we're going to get into. We haven't used that in a while.
Speaker 1: I know, I was just thinking out of my mind. I'm like, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: I will say, I'm glad I watched north By or north By Northwest and Double End Enemy and Casablanca. I'm glad I got some actual noir under my belt before I came into this, because it let me approve absolutely Yeah.
Speaker 1: See when I saw this for the first time, and we'll get into it, but I did. I didn't have all that under my belt, but I did know what those films like, I knew what no War was. I knew what no War films were, so I knew that this film I could piece together, like all right, that's what they're going for. From the dialogue, it's noir but just done and you know the setting.
Speaker 4: I think there's like a pop culture understanding just from like cartoons and stuff, so like as you grow up, yeah, you kind of you kind of understand even though you don't have any we're.
Speaker 5: Seeing noir without ever seeing a noir film. There's a lot of that in our pop culture.
Speaker 4: You know, like Sin City, since city's the perfect Yeah, I would probably watch that movie with brand new eyes. Now if I went back and watched.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, you would. Yeah, Well, why don't we get that hadn't died Heidelberg Spoiler warning and we'll give the synopsis and we'll dive into the film.
Speaker 1: This is spoiler warning from the top. Don't you dare spoil this film. I'll give you one two to the face. I got all my five senses. Watch out anyway. All right, a teenage loader pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his girlfriend.
Speaker 5: All right, well, why don't we dive into the pre production of the film. It's directed by Ryan Johnson, so it's our second straight directorial debut. This is Ryan Johnson's directorial debut, and we did Duel last week, which was Spielberg's. He's also done films like Looper, Star Wars, The Last Jedi, which is god awful, and he's been doing the The Knives Out films, which I'm actually really enjoyed those Knives Out films, and I'm excited for the new one that's coming out at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: I like Looper.
Speaker 5: Looper is great. I really liked that film a lot. So to tell a story about how our film we got started, we got to start with our director, Ryan Johnson. He fell in love with the Cohen Brothers film Miller's Crossing, which caused him to search out the source materials that inspired that film, which led him to the authors that we've discussed on our previous episodes on the Maltese Falcon and Double Identity, so James N. King, Raymond Chandler, and specifically Dashel Hammett. When it came time to write his screenplay, he wanted to create a classic American detective story like the works of Hammett, albeit without the normal visual cues or costumes you would see in a standard noir picture. So his idea was to have our story take place in a high school with young adults and write the story that would become this film right after graduating film school in nineteen ninety seven. The unfortunate thing for Johnson is that he had no connection to anyone significance in the film industry, and in his own admission, he isn't the best at selling himself. But the approach he took to get the script into as many hands as they could, hoping that it would reach the right producer to see what they could get to make the film. During this time, there were times where it seemed like the project would get financing, only to have people pull out, giving reasoning that the script was not a traditional one and that it required to be casted perfectly to execute the script, and with the first time director, the traditional financiers had no idea how to sell the film in the way that Johnson wanted. However, he kept pushing forward because of the team of people he was assembling along the way who believed in the project. After six years of using these traditional approaches, his team realized the only way to get this film done was to finance the film themselves and figure out the lowest amount they needed to get the film made in thirty five millimeter and use the friends and family plan. As the group passed, the collection played around and were able to finance the film independently with four hundred fifty thousand dollars raised. Johnson would shoot the film in his hometown of San Clemente, California, including his former high school, as well as other locations that they would secure and sometimes would frequently lose because the people agreeing to not know how disruptive filming would be to their operations, which would cause the crew to have to adjust on the fly. Now, if they had more money, the crew could have worked exactly where they wanted, but by financing it cheaply on their own, it allowed Johnson to make the film he wanted, which is what he wanted in the end, and gives us the unique picture that we ended up getting a little bit side note. When I was in the Navy, I was at Camp Pendleton, and I worked on the San Clemente side of the base. So I would pass by that high school on the freeway frequently. So when you see the football field that's passing by the fire, you could see all the cars passing on the freeway. That's the five Freeway, and so I would cross that frequently on my commutes to to the base. While location scouting was a challenge, casting his actors was relatively easy because he didn't have the normal interference that a studio or producers would normally create, which allowed him to choose carefully who he felt was right for the parts. And with this being a script being so dependent on each actor being cast correctly, I feel like Johnson and crew delivered. The soundtrack was done by Ryan Johnson's cousin Nathan Johnson, who also did the soundtrack for Looper, Don John Knight, Moreley, and Knives Out, who used the soundtrack from The Third Man, a film that we'll be covering sometime in the future. And composer Nao Morricone, who we met in a fistful of dollars as inspirations and all while giving it a junk yard feel to give it the edge we get in the film shooting. They had a very short shooting schedule, but the cast rehearsed for three months to get their lines and marks down, so they rehearsed a lot before they began film, so it just made everything flow very quickly. But yeah, that's all the prererush I have. Why don't we dive into the film?
Speaker 4: Well, I really like the guitar and bill music. We get a fade in for the when the movie starts with this. Uh, I haven't heard any kind of music like this in a movie before, like a rattle, yeah, yeah, almost the Western acoustic guitar. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I definitely see the Ennio Morricone in the junkyard noir style of soundtrack that Nathan Johnson was going for here, and I think it works brilliantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's very interesting and it's it rings out throughout the film, so like you really start to attribute it with the movie. Yeah, and it's team you know what I mean, it's part of its score. I really like it. I like we start with this like murder, we see the body of a girl and like a river basin, and you know, our character Brennan seems to have found her possibly or here's the one who killed her, like we don't really know. If you'd your first time watching, you really know what's going on. So it's already starting like with this ambiguity, which more films I feel like have a ton of. Absolutely. Yeah, and then we cut back two days prior, like a narrative.
Speaker 5: So our body that is played by Emily d Raven, who is Emily Cossage, who will get to meet a little bit more as the film goes on. She's in shows like Roswell Lost, Once upon a Time, more of a television actress than a film we just covered. That's right, I forgot about that. You know, another character that's not in the film for very long, but it's a huge driving force behind our main characters, like similar to like Liam Neeson is Priest Ballan, his preest Ballin character in Gangs in New York, and of course our our main character that we see, Brendan Fry, played by the great Joseph Gordon Levitt, who was in Third Rock from the Sun, Ten Things I Hate About You, five Hundred Days of Summer. Don john a lot of a lot of films, Inception, Dark Knight Rises, a lot of a lot of great stuff. And Johnson saw him in the film Maniac and knew he wanted to work with the young actor. And it seems as if Joseph Gordon Levitt understood and liked the vision Johnson had for the film and brought his own ideas that would be incorporated, specifically his costume and mannerisms. And I'll be honest, you know, I not at first, but like as I've been watching more of his films, I'm starting to really like his talents as an actor. I think he's great in this. I really love him in this. He is amazing as a character.
Speaker 4: He holds the movie together. If he doesn't work, the movie doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely right. Actually yeah, and he's young too, so it's a tough and it's a tough role for I think these are all young actors like spinning out lines that have made to be you know, said in these older films in a way they're hammy a little bit. But also I don't know, they're supposed to have bravado but their high school kids at the same time, So it's like it's an odd mix to kind of you know, aligned to straddlehow.
Speaker 5: He is, Like I said, you're right, he is the glue to this film. And I think he of all the actors, he's the most experienced. And so yeah, like I said, Johnson really had to cast, especially his lead. If he doesn't cast the lead correctly.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the acting place. Tug wasn't the most experienced actor.
Speaker 5: I mean, he might have been acting longer, but like as far as the credit, it's supposed to go like Essic Gordon Levitt is the more experienced actor.
Speaker 4: I think they do a real good job in this opening scene of like showcasing like how like this is not going to be a fun movie, like buckle up. And then and then they like they do a real like a close up of her bracelets and like it really shows like, yeah, this is a young girl.
Speaker 1: This is high school innocence to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's an innocence to it. No matter what she's done, she's still a child, and I think that's what they'll they keep, you know, every time you see her. She has these giant Madonna Bengal bracelets on, and I think they did a real good job focusing on that from the very beginning of the movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's on the cover of the Blu ray too.
Speaker 1: Those a little bit of trail, the trail off in the water of like her hand cutting into the water from being like laying there. And then I like the way this we get this like two days prior. It's like this narrative hook of like we're gonna go back and figure out what, how what led us to this moment in the in the story, which these films tend to do. Yeah, I thought this film does a good way of shedding up our setting with the high school and you know the note. Brendan finds this note the twelve thirty in his locker meet me at whatever the location was, and it kind of just gets us going, I thought, in a decent way. Starts showing us the other characters, you know, and then the fifteen to twenty minutes we get an idea of like who some of the players are in this movie, which I think these films tend to do. They you know, the name comes in I fem fatale, we got this guy, we got the you know. Uh, it's interesting that this film takes tropes from like high school and then tries to turn those into no war tropes as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there is a lot of the Maltese Falcon in this film a little a little bit as far as like the type of characters that we meet, and then.
Speaker 1: The bricks and mcguffin, whether it's reil or fake, whether it's you know, whether it's been cut or not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have no idea about that particular brick that last week. We have a we have a murder, we have we have characters that are very similar to the Maltese Falcon. And I mean not to uh you know, make it like it he's just copying off it. But it's definitely it's definitely an influence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean there's no doubt about it. It's wearing it on its sleeve, you know what I mean. And it's totally meant to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't. I mean, like this this movie almost seems to like be praising those older movies, like uh, it's you know, I feel like he's saying, I love these old movies. Yeah, now here's.
Speaker 1: Mine, here's my version. Yes, I'm gonna make it into like a high school setting. Yeah, I do believe. So this movie is a little bit you know, it's hammed up obviously because of the dialogue, but the situation, the situation that play that happens where there's a woman, a girl who goes to school who's maybe runaway, getting into drugs, getting with the wrong crowd, a drug deal gone wrong, kind of deal that's feasible. That's all fine, you know what I mean. Tug having like a gang a little bit or whatever, being the rough and tumble fucking street kid. Uh you know, muscle. That all works for me too. I think that's all actually stuff that could happen in a high school setting. So that's believable for me. So it works.
Speaker 4: This is no more silly than the I would actually say it's more serious than the Roman Juliet remaking. Yeah, like the because.
Speaker 1: Absolutely that's a good comparison actually in a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rob, I've never been to high school in California. Are lockers outside a normal thing? Because that ye, yes, there are.
Speaker 1: Parts of the school that are like based outside and they'll have like little overhangs and ship but they're cut away from.
Speaker 4: The school before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think I have never seen we've had lockers inside, but like most of them are outdoors.
Speaker 1: Okay, but yeah, like, how do you like the the fact that we're in like a high school setting? Like how did that hit you the first time?
Speaker 4: Be honest, I was a little overwhelmed. Uh I the first twenty minutes of this movie I did not like And uh I could see especially when he when he finally gets to brain and I see how the how how much the dialogue is going to be, Like, it caught me real off it felt h surreal was the word.
Speaker 1: It's a little out of place at first because it's like, you know, they're talking like old guys and they're like this and he's sort of like snappy like everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, once my brain caught up with like I had to like reprogram what I was then I was fine. And I have to say the second watch, I loved it. Like it once I knew what I was getting into, I could just and just enjoy it. I really like, I really liked the dialogue in the way they wrote it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was pretty good.
Speaker 5: That was the one thing that took me a second to wrap my head around is that this is high school in their and that was kind of his way of putting a twist on the genre, because I was like, what the fuck are they saying? And it's just you're just that it's just meant to be accepted, and you kind of learn a little bit, like about what each particular term means as the film goes along. But that first watch was a little bit jarring. I was like, I don't know what I think about this yet using.
Speaker 1: Slang too, you know what I mean, Like yeah, school type slang, but also mixing it in within the war type style of speaking.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was so much what they were saying. It was like they were saying it so fast and they were using stuff that was unfamiliar. I always felt like I was catching up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'ma spin it for you real quick, you know, like kids don't talk like that.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, the and that's the truth.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell it from the top, you know what I mean, Like, who the fuck says that.
Speaker 5: It will cover more films from this era, But when you watch films from the thirties and the early forties. The dialogue is so snap quick, and we're not used to that as a generation. Now with the films that we're watching, everything tends to move a little bit slower. But in that era, man like the everything was quick, quick, quick, And that's what this female dialogue.
Speaker 1: The female dialogue is more breathy and slower.
Speaker 5: That is that is true?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, well that.
Speaker 5: Is That's something that we have. That's what Ryan Johnson's going for in this is That's why everything's so fast and you're catching up.
Speaker 4: I turned the subtitles on and even a lot of shit I didn't notice the first watch. I noticed the second watch, and all this dialogue is gold. It's I mean, it's it's it's so creative. And even though they're using phrases I don't hear. Ever, I knew what they were talking about like they did a He did a great job coming up with his own slang and owns the style of speech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have to imagine Jessic Gordon Levitt probably also read some of these books that Ryan Johnson was utilizing for the script and was able to develop, uh maybe like add some extra stuff for the dialogue.
Speaker 1: That I'm that came out of the film. He's Yeah, he's a kind of actor who would have done that extra work and read a couple of books to totally get that sort of because he does deliver it very well as far as because he's lead, you know what I mean. But I think the whole cast kind of for the most part, like Laura's character. I think, tell I like, I like Lucas, what's his name?
Speaker 5: Lucas is the pin, Yeah, the idea.
Speaker 1: Of the pin. But let's get to the setting. We get the Brendan gets the note to the twelve thirty meet up, and then he goes to the address and he finds a payphone that just starts ringing at the time that it's said, to which I like, I like, I love the ship like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Did you get dirty Harry off of this with like him running to like the telephone booze.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the car going up like Emily on the line. We know that she's his ex, there's there's something going on there between them, and that she's close by because she should see him, you know, in the moment. So that's interesting to me. The way they play it out and then it's like someone's out to get her. It sounds like, don't we hear their name dode uh, We don't know what meaning it has with you know, Brendan. We hear about the brick, the word brick, and and there you know that they're trying to pin it on her or something she says, and she sounds like she needs help. And then a car goes by real fast and she gets scared and seems to run.
Speaker 4: Well, that was Tug's car, and they do a really good job.
Speaker 1: We don't know yet, yeah.
Speaker 4: But they do a real job of making that car its own character.
Speaker 1: Like that, yeah, because for a while we don't know who Tug is, so it's just the car of faceless And then with the cigarette butt comes out, which ends up playing into a big clue later on. It's a parliament, which yeah, has an arrow that points up to well you light it or whatever the filter and so that plays out, and I just thought it was kind of cool, like it is kind of dirty Harry ish, like this car screams up the road and we think, all right, that car has something to do with it, and she's scared of whoever's in that car.
Speaker 5: And we don't know who it is in the car yet, and obviously we're giving some red herrings as who it might be, but you know, it's it's one of those things that the car is cool nice. I think it's like late sixties, early seventies mock one Mustang, which is awesome. And then you have is that telephone booth that they're in. That telephone booth actually doesn't exist. They so what was funny about the film is the mansion that we're gonna go to later. That was a house that they were allowed to use that apparently was some eccentric billionaire who had made his money on investing in phone booths and pay phones, and so all his money came from that. So he had this mansion and saying, yeah, he had this mansion in San Clemente, but there was he was kind of a hoarder, so he had all these His house was built with all these phone booths. So they took one of the phone booths and then moved it around town to where they needed it, so that phone booth actually doesn't exist at that corner of San Clemente. Utilizing what you have at your disposal.
Speaker 4: I was watching some special features and they were saying that he let them use that house because he was about to remodel the whole thing. So it was like, yeah, come in, do whatever you want. I'm about to I'm about to rip got this place anyway, so nice. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the entire town was really under redevelopment too, because San Clemente was on the rise at this time. There was a lot of new developments. The houses were being upgraded, and even the Pinn's house that was they couldn't find a single story house except for they've discovered this at the last minute. They were actually gonna tear that house down, and uh they had. They gave them an extension for a week so that they could film in this house, and like days after they finished filming, they tore that thing down and put up a whole new, like three story house. So the house no longer exists at that address.
Speaker 4: I fucking love that wood paneling, I asked my wife, but I want it.
Speaker 1: The film sets up the players here. Though Emily appears to be missed or into something bigger than, you know, than herself, Brennan's on a case. He's gonna try and figure it out and help her out, whether she wants him to or not. He finds the torn image of Emily's book that led him to the drama club. The next scene is when he goes to the drama club basically and and we find well, he.
Speaker 4: Meets Brain to get Emily's locker number so he can steal them.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so matt Leary. Matt Leary plays the Brain. He's been in things like Domestic Disturbance, Frailty, Uh, Spy Kids too, and he was in Livery or Diehard. He was the uh he was kind of like the right hand man to Timothy Oliphant's character, the Guy in the Glass. Yeah, so yeah, kind of a cool character like his character.
Speaker 1: He's sort of like the investigator, like he gets the extra. He's the gumshoe guy, I think, or no, what will you call him?
Speaker 5: The end, he's the guy in the chair. He's Oracle, Yeah, essentially sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kind of played off like he's sort of is he supposed to be on the spectrum. So I have a feeling that's what I was thinking about him, that he doesn't exist at all, and that he's in and what's his name's head? That's his name is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know who Oh, that's interesting. I'd never thought about that. Uh you know who. I was thinking that he reminded me of like it because there's a lot of Maltese falcon in this movie. I was thinking he reminded me a lot of the secretary to Humphrey Bogart's character, Okay, just because she was very helpful. Yeah, a great character that was also very helpful in the investigation.
Speaker 1: And I'd like that's you get some of the best dialogue I think between him and in the brain.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate how mean Brendan is to him. He just bosses him around, and he's like, is kind.
Speaker 5: Of kind of mean to his secretary too. He's not he's not super nice, but she just takes it and is very very cool character. Well, I think that that's kind of what they were going for.
Speaker 1: Brendan's very invested in the case because of him his affection towards Emily so.
Speaker 5: And again, I don't think Brendan's nice to anybody.
Speaker 4: He's a very he's a very flawed character. But the movie is.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's been hurt and he has his guard up all the time.
Speaker 4: He's moving so fast that you just you you're seeing his deeds, but you don't really start to think about who he is as a person.
Speaker 1: He's a man of character, though, I think when you see what he does like for the most part, Yeah, we'll.
Speaker 4: Get to it. I'll point out the shitty ship he's been doing, like, uh, well, you know, he he throws her to the ground when when she breaks up with him, he rats out Jared. Uh he's a dirty rat period. I mean he rated somebody out because he was he he was flirting with that's a thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I felt like he got caught up in that though, So I wasn't sure if I was really totally his fault because he doesn't seem like the kid who's like in that world as much. But yeah, he has flood, I guess. I mean everybody's flood. I don't think he's like I guess in comparison to the other characters. He still works as a protagonist for me that I can get on his side normally. Yeah, he does like this the name go at the end. We'll get to it, but he lets her go.
Speaker 4: Like you know, from one I know of nowar films, our hero was never Captain America.
Speaker 1: It's always absolutely not a lot of times he's got you know, he's got an alcohol problem or something. Yea gambling. Yeah, but I do like that, Like by the first like ten fifteen minutes, you know, we get the idea of like, all right, we're in a near film, we're in high school setting, we've got some of the characters going on. He finds that torn image at the club after he talks to Cara, who's played by Megan Good. I haven't thought about her in a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's been in a whole bunch of stuff. She's a great damn actor who's been in Journey movies, TV, Journey Woman. Yeah, she's she's awesome in this just for like the five minutes she's in the film, but she delivers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like she did all her scenes in one day and she was just dialed in. When she's talking to Brendan, like they like, you immediately understand their relationship. They used to date and they're not really civil with each other, and.
Speaker 1: She was products she's sort of she was abusive.
Speaker 4: To him and now he's big enough to fight back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she is one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's she's more of a dominant woman towards men.
Speaker 5: She's like a madam of a whorehouse type of Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's like what he's like, you still picking your teeth with freshmen as there's some guy literally kneeled before her.
Speaker 1: You know, doing you know what I mean. But it's not I think he's just really messing with her feet or something or who know, it's like, yeah, kneeling down.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I think the fact that we don't know is what makes an interest you know exactly?
Speaker 1: Was supposed to just like assume things even though its high school because it's war. But yeah, I like her character and I like this moment, I guess because yeah, he found the torn image, which he was sort of like, I don't know what this is exactly, but it seemed like something different. He found it in the book that he found in the locker, like you said, and then when he goes into the back room he finds the full image with the you know details call here.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, he goes Alloween Halloween in January.
Speaker 4: That's a great that's a great idea and I'm going to steal it. But uh yeah, So he goes snooping around because Kara emits she knows where Emily is and she's just not going to tell him. Yeah, so he just he acts like he left and then just walks around the back door and comes back in, which is very very new. Worry you know, if that's a word, it's a word now I made it a word.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nice, I like it.
Speaker 1: So he calls the number and it leads to Laura. Is Laura's number, and so he sets up the meet with with him, which is the party location.
Speaker 5: Right right, And that's uh so. Laura Dannon is played by the great Nora Zettner, who is in shows like Everwood, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy and Ryan Johnson Yeah, Ryan, Yeah. Ryan Johnson noticed her while he was doing uh the editing on his friend's film May and felt she would be a good fit for his pardon Brick. And this is this is goes back to the multice Falcon things. I feel like she is a little bit like Mary Astor's character bridget O'Shaughnessy from that film, which would make sense because he since Ryan Johnson loves Dashel Hammett, which is what that film is based.
Speaker 1: Off of, and she's the one, she's the fem fatal or like, yes, he's involved in everything she's in over right, head.
Speaker 5: And like so we we see her initially as she's involved but a victim, but we're not really like a lot and there's like love affair. Yeah, and there's this love affair between the two characters, but like the the reality of the situation, like you killed the person that I cared about and I can't I can't let that lie.
Speaker 1: And it's like she wants to be emily in a way, like she wishes he looked at me that way because she sees she says later on, like you think nobody sees you the boy who eat his lunch alone behind the blah blah and cares for a woman who doesn't care for him, you know what I mean. Like so it's like, yeah, it definitely shows that he's flawed, but also like we see some of it, like he's a hurt character, you know, absolutely a lot of pain.
Speaker 4: She's with Brad just because Brad'll do Brad'll do whatever. She says, like she's kind.
Speaker 5: Of like, yeah, she's a little bit like Kara who uses men to like you to whatever she needs to happen.
Speaker 1: I think she cares for Brandon.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I do believe there there is a legitimate connection between her and Brendan.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean that they make love later.
Speaker 5: Yes, the in the deleted scenes of that film, it is specifically said that they slept together, but Brian Johnson felt it was better to leave it, you know, leave us guessing if that's what took place.
Speaker 1: They could have just made out, which is the equivalent of having sex in you know, and a nor film. But I think they made love then they put their because she's smoking after Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you're saying Brad. Brad Bramish who will will meet here in just second is played by Brian White, who was in films like Mister three thousand, The Family Stone, and he was also in The Cabin in the Woods in.
Speaker 4: The Family Stone. That's on the list. We're gonna watch it for weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's absolutely I knew he looked from I really do like her characters because she's clearly the femme fatale, and I like that, you know, for this movie, and I like that you can clearly tell that she knows more than she's letting on, and you know, he wants the truth.
Speaker 1: He's not really phased by her allure as a woman in a way because he's like he just needs to know what's going on with and nobody's telling him that the truth. You know.
Speaker 4: So Brendan is real indifferent about her and it fucking drives her crazy. Like yeah, like she's like, you you should either hate me or love me, but this in between shiit she doesn't understand. And I believe that's why she's attracted to him.
Speaker 1: Oh of course women tend to be like that, trying to turn on the allurea and you know, going for it. It makes him curious, like why.
Speaker 4: But this party looks pretty lame. I'm just gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: It does. You walk in, it's like people like, oh, like I think they're costume. But then there's no good music playing and nobody's just kind of just shuffling around.
Speaker 4: Everyone's just listening to Bread talk about how coach won't put him in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Bread is like, dude, he sucks, he does.
Speaker 1: And he's not as tough as he wants everybody to think he is.
Speaker 5: No, he's not. It's funny, yeah, like I said, because he does the same speech in the parking lot, and the dude is just like mad because he's a benchwarmer. He's not, he's not like the star quarterback or back or whatever the fuck he positioned him put me in. It was a game.
Speaker 4: This is really good dialogue. When Brad asked Brendan, what are you doing here, He's like leaving, Like I thought that that was such a deat line.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I would love to party.
Speaker 1: Was born she she tells him like as if she has some information, but ask him to wait right five minutes. So he he leaves to follow her. But it looks like he's being followed as well, because I saw when he when he runs out into the darkness here, we can see a person light up a cigarette in the shadow, as it looked like to me, unless that was just a coincidence.
Speaker 5: I think that that's a coincidence. But I could see that like where because she's always how like she she noticed him like always? Maybe she always had somebody on him and that's how she was able to I see you when you think you're not being seen, but.
Speaker 1: Party, So maybe someone's just there lighting up, but it looked like someone lady.
Speaker 5: But that's but that's an interesting thought. I've never thought about that. Maybe he never always think that she's smarter than we're led to believe and that she does have people following him.
Speaker 4: Could you give him a bit of information? She said, you know, she does the coffee and pie on my line.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then she's like, wait five minutes and I'll tell you Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she meets with this dangerous looking guy which we don't know is Tug. But we see the car right oh ship, you know, and there's an exchange of words there and it looks like it's like a little bit it gets a little heated, and then she goes back inside the house. So I don't know. I like, is that the drug guy? We don't really know.
Speaker 5: Probably we know that well, we saw the car earlier that boyfriend M, so it's we're thinking like, okay, this is this might be the guy that was scaring M.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Noah Flices plays Tug. He's in films like Joe the King, and he was also a voice actor in the Until Dawn video game.
Speaker 4: Based by his wardrobe, he probably listen Biscuit, So.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: I love later on when we are in his house and he's just got like a bunch of siblings. I feel like that all have the same gear on or they're like, I think that a gang, but I think they're all like his cousins and fucking brothers and ship like.
Speaker 5: The mafia is. It's it's a family affair, you know.
Speaker 1: And they're all wearing either white T shirts or wife beaters like white they know, they call them tank tops, and I still call them white feeders.
Speaker 5: I did too.
Speaker 1: You can't say that anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Brendan follows his lead to coffee, and.
Speaker 1: He does, and he pays Dough to visit in the Stone Yeah miss yeah.
Speaker 5: Doade played by Noah Seagan who was a Journeyman actor who did a lot of collaborations with Ryan Johnson. He was in Looper, he was in The Last Jedi, I'm Sorry, and knives out in Glass Onion. So he's been in a lot of Ryan Johnson films. I guess he Uh, Ryan Johnson likes the cut of this guy's jib.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is the first time that our guy kind of gets a little lively because this guy gets he gets some lip from Doge, I mean Dode, after sensing that he's about to be jumped, possibly by the Stoners, you know, because they're really slow, he just attacks Dode first to kind of make the statement, you know what I mean, like first and I kind of like that fim he squashes, like any idea that you know he was they were going to gang up on him, and then he tells him I like that moment where he's like, I got.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got all my senses working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they're like, oh shit, He's right.
Speaker 4: You can really tell the budget of this movie too, because the sign for coffee and pie Oh my, literally looks like they had it printed out and mark yes.
Speaker 5: So so here here's the thing about that scene. So initially, this whole scene was going to play out in the parking lot of a Caro's restaurant that they they had the owners had agreed to let them do, and they're like, oh wait a second, you're blocking up the whole parking lot. No, we can't have that. So that sign initially was tagged in the window, and then they end up having to retreat to some dumpster area. I don't even think it's the same building. They had to move to somewhere else, and that the rest of the scene played out in some dumpster behind a kmart or something, and then they stole a shopping car from somewhere to have that as part of the scenery too. So it's just that you're right, this is a very di y run, you know, kind of the see of your pants type of filming that Haddy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the scene I like from the trailers in here too, where that the one meth had to sitting there blowing the straw and Brenda walks up and takes it away from him and gives it back like that was That was the scene from the trailer that made me interested in watching the movie.
Speaker 1: It was like putting his cigarette out, you know what I mean? Yeah, but yeah, I like this. Uh he slaps stones around, dude, and then the other stones are all scared. I just don't kind of buy Levitt's character being this tough though, honestly, like in the beginning at least, but I know that we need him to to kind of carry our plot along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he goes best. Yeah, he's doing his best to be Humphrey Bogart, and I don't know if he fully pulled It's it's hard to take election him because because only Bogart can pull off a Bogart. But I think Gordon Levitt does at least a decent job of trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I took it more as everyone else was scared to fight, and he wasn't more than he was tough, like because if.
Speaker 1: You know, will get beat up.
Speaker 4: And yeah he got beat up on tug Wolves's ass like twice, but he just keeps.
Speaker 1: Shows his character. Yes, just like with the case, he's not going to give up on the case, right mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I mean even Brad whoops this ass a little bit. I would say that fight was even till the very end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brad, you know, I told he was going to fuck up. Brad's Leg's going to lose his career.
Speaker 5: I cringed with that and kept kicking him in the stin.
Speaker 1: I just kept taking to Peter Griffin.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, anyway, yeah, yeah, Doe doesn't give up.
Speaker 4: He said, I'm just not going to tell you. And then so Brendan decides to just sneakyly follow him afterwards instead.
Speaker 1: Well, he says, but he does say. He says, m's with me now and she doesn't want Brendan getting involved. She doesn't want you getting involved with this. And then he's like, well she called me, and then he's like, well then she called me that about that, Like so it's like he's implying that M is with him with it it's true, And it turns out to be true because when, like you said, when he follows him, it leads him to M showing up and she is with him, And actually, M's not this fucking innocent, you know girl that you know, she's painted out to be a first even though she you know, she's not. She doesn't deserve to die.
Speaker 4: But it's also that that he follows Dode all the way to the theater where Kara is, and Brendan doesn't go in and follow him anymore. He's like, I'm not going in there. That's that's dangerous turf to go into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is where he so he sees Emily and this is our first clips to Emily alive, right, and so like we're like, she's with Dode, but why he gives her something and then she places it in her notebook?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Is that the that's the thing for that he said to me when he said to me.
Speaker 5: Right, and so what what when? Yeah, so we don't know what that note is. But when when Brendan gets close to M, he steals that notebook and then she takes off and he looks at it and we just see this like what looks like a giant a midnight and we're not really sure what the fuck that means yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know. You can also tell though, that he fucking loves her because when he's sitting there having his lunch and she shows up and she's just all the way down there, like he fucking Josh Haul's ass pockets her. Yeah, yeah, but does that make him Barry's trying to figure out what's going on with her. She's a drug ridder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in general, is bad. They made a.
Speaker 1: Command of God, Matt. It's fucking did the World's not white and black, buddy.
Speaker 4: But there is right and wrong.
Speaker 1: I mean, like he I mean, but he's trying to figure what. She gets herself killed with what she's doing. So maybe if he had done more.
Speaker 4: Or he would get to you know, I don't know. Just he seems he's not treating her like someone he loves here, He's treating her like something and it, honestly, it started to creep me out right about here where I'm like, oh, this isn't healthy. He's not a healthy person.
Speaker 5: And you're you're right, Matt, I agree with you. He does not because the way that he talks about him. It's not about someone that he loves, because he kind of like doesn't really care, but he doesn't like he can't let it go because he's thinking that maybe it has something to do with him, which where let the which we find out towards the end, that it might be a possibility, like his reasoning as to why he kept pursuing this.
Speaker 1: It turns out it's his kid, so.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, that's the thing we find. We do end up finding was pregnant. No, I don't think so, because.
Speaker 1: That could explain him pursuing harder. But I don't think it.
Speaker 4: When Doe brings up the baby for the first time, he's he's generally shocked.
Speaker 1: And he and he believes that it would be one of theirs. Ether tugs are ordades.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I wonder if maybe there I actually don't understand Brendan's why he's pursuing this. That's the one thing I can't quite pink bringing up.
Speaker 4: I can protect you, I can protect you, I can protect you.
Speaker 1: It's like he can't let go. It's an extra relationship recently broken up, and she's also going down a darkness I really want. Yeah, it's possessive. He realizes that, and he realizes that it's why she's he pushed her away, and at the same time, she's pushing him away because she realizes, like, you can't save me and this is the word, this is my choice, and you have.
Speaker 4: To let me do this scene, she's like, I broke up with you because you just sit back here all day and judge and hate people. Your boy, that's got to be a hard pill to swallow, you know.
Speaker 5: That's Brendan to a tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's you can tell something like he's been hurt for sure, and he doesn't trust nobody. He didn't like people for sure. He's a loner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would love to hear. It's one of those things where I'm glad there's not like a prequel of this, but at the same time, it makes me curious of the backstory of like how Brennan became, how Brennan became and like this this is a very strange universe.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I feel like from the clues I took, their relationship was very toxic and they just they made each other worse, and them breaking up was probably a very good thing. And if and if she just could have stayed out of trouble until she graduated. They both probably would have been fine, but.
Speaker 1: She got stuck with that that bad crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, well I feel like, I mean, like they hint that Laura and Kara like manipulate her and use her and so like, like it wasn't just that she was stupid, but that she was taking advantage of while she was in this vulnerable state. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's definite running away from something that way.
Speaker 4: The principle is using or the VPS, using Brendan while he's in the vulnerable state. You know. You people, they they find people who have a mental health issue and then they selfishly try to use them, and uh, they just you know, they didn't have that language back.
Speaker 1: Like the police chief almost if you know. And and our main character is almost like retire or ex police who's now just a PI.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, the private dick. Yeah, stepping on the police's toes and getting in there.
Speaker 1: This guy's got something on them, you know what I mean. It almost seems too like Emily's character wants to punish herself for some reason too, you know what I mean, Like she's like even though I even though this guy wants to help her, and the guy's flowed obviously she doesn't want to love, like she doesn't love him anymore. But she's still you know, she's still okay with just being I don't know, like she knows what The life she's choosing is very bad. It's just it's kind of sad to see you know, uh, someone like that just kind of like take to that world and just embrace it in a way when it's like, you have so much potential, you know what I mean? Do you like, no matter how bad do you think, things are, Like two years from now, they could be totally different. You have no idea, and you know all you gotta do is fucking strive and keep going.
Speaker 4: When you're that young two years, I.
Speaker 1: Know, like forever, I know, you have no sense of you don't have a maturity, you don't have the intelligence.
Speaker 4: Now I will actively put stuff off for two years like it's nothing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I get their relationship in a way, you know what I mean, Like it just, yeah, they're not great for each other, they don't. They deserve to be with somebody different probably, but it's still they still care for each other in this interesting way.
Speaker 4: So but he has the note now and he takes it to Brain and they have this really awesome brainstorming scene where they try to figure out everything she said over the phone plus what this note means and put it all together. I thought that. I thought that was a really good scene. I pretty much like every scene brains in uh.
Speaker 7: I think, yeah, yeah, I like the dialogue that these two have together, like you said, trying to figure it out, like, okay, she is four termed, I don't know the understanding of and so they go through it.
Speaker 5: It's like what it could possibly mean, and that's a tug, oh tug, that's interesting, saying that could be this or.
Speaker 4: Drink with milk and vodka. And I was like, yeah, white Russians. Yeah, thanks Brain, I want a white Russian now you ask?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do like that. And it leads to when he figures out I guess what the A was right? The midnight thing, Well, he does it.
Speaker 4: He goes home and he's looking he knows something's happening at midnight, and they show him staring at his digital clock and he falls asleep and then he has a dream about the tunnel. Yeah, so when he wakes up, he's like, oh it wasn't an a. It's a drawing of the tunnel and he wakes up at like four in the morning and runs straight there.
Speaker 5: And Brain says like, sometimes they'll use symbols to uh, so that way it doesn't get like picked up of like what they're talking about, so symbol to Yeah.
Speaker 4: They don't know to go to the tunnel at midnight.
Speaker 1: And the rest of the Eggs and Bingo exactly is an orgy at the tunnel at midnight. When he goes there, that's where we find her body. So this is the scene that was playing out in the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, and so we're back to the beginning, and then this is where the investigation really kicks off.
Speaker 1: I like this moment too, where he's just sitting there like he doesn't know what to do. Uh, he's kind of in shock. And then we hear that someone else is there in the tunnel in the darkness. You hear footsteps and someone like runs but he can't catch them.
Speaker 4: Brenon chases Chase, Chares to chas him down, and the person knocks him out. So we don't know who it is and we don't find out. So half the movie's gone by, but then he like. Then then he just he walks to school because it's still that early in the morning. School hasn't even started yet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't think he does leave her there. I think he cleaned her up and then he went.
Speaker 4: So well, he comes back later to move the body, so we.
Speaker 1: Know because Dods there, Dods there and sees what he did when he moved the body. So the way I think they cut it, I think they cut it as if he went and moved the body. I'm not looking, but like.
Speaker 4: He moved the they just didn't show us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then he went to school and he's like telling kind of what happened after. It's like almost after flashing back to like what happened with the tunnel. I don't know, because I thought that too. I was like, oh, he went back, But then I was like, no, wait a minute. Now they're cutting it now. They looked like they were editing it to look like as if it all happened there. Because then Doat says later on I saw you. Yeah, I'm like, oh, then he must have stuck around. Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Really interesting how it plays out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now he's sitting on the information two over death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because brain says, hey, can you so can you help Emily And he's like no, He's like can you break someone's teeth about it? And he's like, yes, yes I can. And like so like the movie kind of takes a shift now or like it's more of a revenge film now than an investigation, even though it's still an event investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is where he's like they speak on like m's last word that he to him about the pin and look that can mean he turns out it's a kingpin like drug runner of town. My notes say frog runner. I don't know why, but you know it's he's a twenty six year old you know what I mean, Like, oh god, he's like the older kid. He lies with his mom in the basement, he tells drugs. But yeah, so we're starting to figure out like, all right, there's this dark, shadowy kingpin figure character who might be behind things now and Brendan kind of at this point he like shakes a few branches and to like rustle up some leaves if you will, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And this is this is where he punches out Brad in the parking lot and gets in the plight with him to shake the trees. Yeah, because Brad Brad is one of the biggest buyers from the Pin, and so he figures that, like by knocking him out, that something is gonna get shaken there and it's going to get the Pin's attention and he's gonna figure out like where the Pin is so he can kind of work his way into that organization and try to figure out what happened to him.
Speaker 4: There's a great shot in this scene where they're in the parking lot where the camera is focused on Laura and then you just see the car sag and then it pans over to Brendan leaning sitting on the trunk, so like they show like they showed the moment he set on the trunk in her frame and then pinned like like so, oh you know someone's there. And I thought it was a very clever shot the way they did it. We also missed the scene where he's walking across the football field as the sun's coming up and he is I guess when him and Emily broke up for the first time, was also there in the football field. Yeah, And that's the scene they flash back and he pushes her down. He's saying He's like, I'm just trying to protect you, and then he gives her a good shove.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, so it was interesting about like any scenes in the football field what So anytime you see like the grass and everything like that was when they initially filmed the uh, but when they had to come back for a couple of reshoots for some scenes, they had actually redone the football field and they did like turf. So anytime you see that anybody above the waist in a scene at the football field, that's after they redid the football field. It's it's completely there was it's because it went from regular grass to a turf.
Speaker 4: It was a good Magic Hour shot where he's walking across that field with the sun coming up. Yes, it really sets the mood of like God, he's exhausted and his life's falling apart and he still has to go to school. Fuck you know yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he has the altercation with Brad Bradley did jack you know, total douche. They fight, like we said, Brandon barely went brand sweets with Laura. She wants to help. She tells him to stay away from him. Oh, he tells her to stay away though, because you can't trust her. You know that she's a player.
Speaker 4: She's not worth the trouble boys. He loves that. Yeah, He's like, yes, I am, I am worth the trouble.
Speaker 1: He makes a call of the brain a touch base, and he's getting closer to the truth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At this moment, you know, the dangerous looking guy who Laura spoke with at the party is behind him when he gets off the phone and he punches Brandon out cold. We is a random olymp Biscuit fan. He just wants to break stuff. And then next week we meet up with v P. Truman, you know, and it's like we said, you know, ex cop, sort of chief of police kind of relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's and he's played by the legendary Richard Rowntree, who's assistant Vice Principal Truman, who mainly is unfortunately he's a great actor, but is really only known for his role as Shaft. And I actually I didn't realize that this was going to be our Richard Browntree. The first film with him. I plan on that being Shaft, but this works out. The chef, yeah exactly, but no, he he he's in the film for two minutes and he's awesome in it. He's great.
Speaker 4: Brandon does a great line in here because, uh, I guess one of the reasons him and Emily broke up is he turned in someone named jerr uh because to protect Emily, and uh, the VP's talking, he brings up Jared and he's like, no, no, no, I gave I gave you Jared to be eaten, not for you to be fed. And I was like that that is one of the best written lines in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, because he had a personal stake he didn't want he was supplying drugs to them, correct, Like yeah.
Speaker 4: And he he used the cops or you know the cops. He used them as a tool. Uh, not the other way around, and he wanted to make that clear.
Speaker 1: But they wanted to use him and kind of play that against him too.
Speaker 4: Now that you're they're like, we can let everyone know you're a rat, so now we own Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's not like he's a rat to everybody. He was a rat in a specific one time because of how much he cared about them. It's not it doesn't make it right, but I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it speaks on his character like he has this claw. Yeah. Oh, all the people in school gonna hate you for sure. But yeah, I like the complexity to his character though, you know, it makes it for a good watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I mean like, if he was a straight shooter Captain America type character, it'd be boring.
Speaker 1: It probably would be Yeah to do gooder fucking the whole time. And I like that he's not like he fights. He's scrappy, but he doesn't necessarily wopass all the time. He'll try and get the last licking, you know, And he takes his lickings for sure, which I admire. Even if you get your ass kick. The fact that you can get up and take a punch to the chin AND's like, that's not everybody can do that, man. Some people take one punch and they're done. So to get beat up all day like that and swallow your blood, you know, admirable. But yeah, he talks to the brain of the phone and then Dads. We find out that Doad's in the wind. Oh, Truman wants a fall guy too. We find out that he's looking for a fall guy.
Speaker 4: And if he and if Brennan doesn't get him one within two weeks, he'll just use Brendan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the screws around Brennan a little bit, and that's why Brannan talks to the to the brain again over the phone, and then we find out that Doad's in the wind and Laura is looking for Brennan.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah uh brain Brain on the phone says, Carra came and shook him down, and he's like, fuck if I if I knew where you were, I would have told her. No, He's like, yeah, it's real nice to know. Well, because earlier install her cigarettes because they were tugged cigarettes and that's how he put some pieces together earlier too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well actually tugs us and smoked cigarettes. Tugs it smokes weed. Oh, that's that comes into play later because he asked him because there's either two people in that car or.
Speaker 4: It's okay, because that's what I thought, because the cigarette is strong. The passenger sidne.
Speaker 1: The cigarette was. Yeah, the cigarette was what's her name was Laura's. Yeah, it was Laura's cigarette. That's how you could That's how he finds out that Laura's involved in this whole thing, and then he breaks it down to Laura at the end basically like here I figured it all out, Like you were involved in this, this and that, and she's basically like confirms it, but then they don't do anything about it. How do you, I mean, that's just jumping ahead, but I'm curious how you feel kind of like on that that no resolution sort of vibe. I think that'll work for this sort of style of a film. It's a bittersweet feel like he did.
Speaker 5: I think he did essentially sell her.
Speaker 1: I have a fall guy.
Speaker 5: She's the fall guy.
Speaker 1: Well, she walks away. I feel like they have they have lucas they I mean, they have the pin, they have tug. Those are the fall guys. Like they have that. He doesn't need to put her out there. She's she's got to live at what she did. I feel like too, and then she's never gonna be with him. Because of that, he can't be with her.
Speaker 5: The other thing, too, is that it feels a little like the Maltese Falcon in that they do end up catching. Yeah, the other guys end up dying, but they catch those people. Those are the ball guys. But she's also involved, and he already kind of spilled the whole story about like oh if well, if you're not involved, then you have nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: In the in the letters that he drops off. If he did drop off, if they're even real, he might have been bluffing.
Speaker 5: I feel like they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be could be like a Shortinger's cat kind of deal.
Speaker 5: It could be yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But Brendan is on his way to see uh what what was it? Oh, He's on his way home and he sees the He's gonna go home early. I like how he says, I got daggers in my in my eyes or whatever, I'm going home early, and I'm thinking going home early from school. It's funny, like kind of when you think about it, you know. And then so he's gone home and then he backs up and he ends up. It's he sees the muscle the muscle car uh parked up, and so he pays him a visit.
Speaker 4: He thinks about it for about three seconds, and he's like, I'm going to put a brick through this fucking window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and get his attention. And then the guy's coming up and it's just kind of like tugs characters like I don't know it shouts a line of like goofy, really goofy.
Speaker 5: She's the most interesting. He's the weirdest character in the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if it's the acting or the writing.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I think it's the acting, because everyone else is also a goofy character, but they we take it because the acting is so good and the dialogue is so good. We take it with a grain of salt. And Tug doesn't talk until this movie is halfway over, so we just see him through his his actions, and you know, he's very He overacts a lot of it, like like he's he's walking like the damn terminator, like Connor McGregor, you know, fucking two beers in and it does look a little silly. But then Tug like whoops his ass, punses him like five times. He says I want to see pen and then Tug beats him up and he just keeps saying. Brendan keep saying I want to see pin and hit.
Speaker 1: Some of the door.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when he runs, when he Tug drives away, Brennan throws a piece of the rock that broke the brick or whatever whatever send the buck. He throws it at the car and hits the car. Tug stops and then the car like he's gonna do something. Then he keeps going. He peels off, and so we're like, Okay, it's done. And I kind of like there's that got some dead air for a moment where like this guy's just kind of collecting himself in the pocket lot, not thinking anything, trying to think of his next move. And then we suddenly start hearing the motor again of Tug's car getting louder and louder, and it's him coming fine through the pocketing lot, and you think he's gonna hit hit him, but I guess he's just trying to scare him, just to really see, like, all right, you really want to fucking see the pin like you're really about it. I'm gonna try and shake you. But if you, you know.
Speaker 4: I think Tug was seen if he would run away if you yeah, yeah, and he didn't.
Speaker 1: Got balls.
Speaker 4: They show a close up with Joseph Gordon Levitt's face with the makeup on, and I mean, for this, for it being a minimal makeup, they did a real good job of making it look like he got punched and hit the concrete a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, have some raspberries there on the cheek and shin for sure.
Speaker 4: And they do a thing I like too They did this in Atomic Blonde, where someone will get hurt and they keep those wounds the rest of the movie because sometimes, you know, like especially in the older action movies from the eighties, like wounds would just disappear after a continuity. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's important because that kind of stuff can take you out of the movie. So, and this is the kind of movie. I think you want to be invested in it as much as you can in this kind of story. But yeah, he's taken to see the pit, but he's taken in the trunk, so he doesn't know where he's going.
Speaker 4: And we learned that Tug still listens to cassette tapes in two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty well. He drives a muscle car. Yeah, most likely going to.
Speaker 4: Have gems on cassette. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: So you cay FYI whatever, no fy anyway. Yeah, so he's taking to see the pit, and this is where we get introduced to the pit. We meet him. He's a little underwhelming, I don't know.
Speaker 5: So so Lucas Hawks, who plays the pin. He's doing films like like Witness Mars Attacks. Uh, he was an inception. He was the original architect on Cops Team an inception. I find it. I know he's trying to do his best version of a Sydney green Street a little bit, obviously not as a charismatic, but I also find it very interesting that gave his character a disability, which I'm not sure they don't explicitly state what it is. I'm not sure if it's like a club foot, or if it's like he has like one leg that's shorter than the other, which is like what my wife says, triple.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just kidding. Yeah, right, though he does have something. They show his foot, his shoes bigger than the one right he's wearing a.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I was like, I'm not sure that they don't explicitly state what his disability.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that's I think it's the main They're like, listen, we want him to have a prop to make him look more sinister.
Speaker 1: He can look like Sidney green Street. Yeah you know what I mean, like he you know, they needed him to have that part. So this is how we do it in real in a real world setting. We make them, you know, have a disability.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like, I said, I I did like that aspect of it. But yeah, you're right, he is a little underwhelming.
Speaker 1: He's like very soft spoken, so to like, I get the character, and there's some cool dialogue and back and forth later on with him and in our main character. I don't hate the character. I just I did. I found it a little underwhelming when you finally see him. But maybe that's the point too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, like I said, because when you think of Sidney Green Screetze character in The Maltese Falcon, he's at least like he's really fun that you actually you know he's the bad guy, but like you're kind of having fun with him, whereas with this character the Pin, he's yeah, he's spoken, but he's not He's a bad guy, but he's not necessarily like he's someone that you might get along with. He's not a bad guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he has the besides the main character. I think he has the best dialogue in the movie. They just give him some really good lines over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: They do him, and him and the main character have the most.
Speaker 4: It's very witty, you know. They if they were D and D characters, they'd both have charisma and the high teens. You know, Yes, but I love his room. I love that room so much. Speaking of D and D, I would play tons of D and D in that room. Yeah, he could would paneling, greenshat carpet. It's like begging, it's begging for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So so, like I said, that hallway and that office, those are those are the only ones that were sets that were built for the film because that those didn't exist in that house that they were filling in. But uh yeah, it's just uh just fun the wooding the very seventies.
Speaker 1: We know that Laura is in on it too somehow at this point too, because she's like yep, and she's always getting rides. I'll get you ride, I'll give your ride. But Brennan's actually what.
Speaker 4: Well, Brendan even says like you should bring her in here, and and he acts like he doesn't know what he's talking about. And then later she shows up and proving that Brennan was right.
Speaker 1: The whole time exactly. Brennan's actually at the Pinn's house too. It's funny, kind of funny because the Pin's mother is there like offering Brennan later on like corn flakes and like something to drink with it, and he has milk and in his cereal, so well.
Speaker 4: He's not a psycho.
Speaker 1: Yeah uh. And then yeah, she drives them back and breaks it down for him. You know, you could tell that she's really into him in a way. I feel like she uses men, yes, but and maybe she uses him a little bit, but at the same time she's invested. It's just like you know, north By Northwest or like that, that love You get a love interest that happens even though there's other things at stake, and not everybody's putting all the truth on the table. You know, there's some double play here. It's almost like, hey, in a perfect world, if this wasn't going on, like I would love you blah blah, you know, but I can't because of because of this situation, because you get you know, you got m killed or whatever. Basically. But yeah, I thought the Pin was underwhelming at first, but I mean he's still an interesting character and he has some better moments later, and like you said, the dialog is good. This is where we get making Goods character again too, when she's all dressed up like in the kimono Scilla good woman, and then we there's an assassin that oh that's right. They the Pin tells him like, hey, you, we'll be in contact, whether we need you to use you on our team or whether we're gonna take you out, you know what I mean, if we don't believe you.
Speaker 4: Yea offers basically to be a double agent, and the BP, the information pen, wants him to and uh, you know, Pins, basically, I'll think about it. You know, let Laura drive you home. And then he's like, take me to school instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, the assassin comes for him and we're like, oh, is he sent by Pin? Like we don't really know, we're assuming he is. Our boy dispatches him, though. There's a lot of klick clacking click clacking with the with the with the shoes, and you kind of wonder like, yeah, it's so fucking loud. But then it plays into like, well, he's gonna take his shoes off so that he can slide forward without the guy hearing him. And the guy's shoes is so loud that you can hear him coming a mile away. Yeah, he trips him like a cartoon and then he clo I was waiting for him to have like a really big, like fucking nod on his head. Yeah, yeah, is this guy some birds, knocked out, knocked out I.
Speaker 4: Think, yeah, yeah, we never hear about him again.
Speaker 5: Yeah we didn't hear about a body, but no we so we don't we know, so we we do hear about what his What happens later and we find out that he was hired by Brad because he was pissed off about getting his ass kicked in the parking lots.
Speaker 1: So he wasn't the Yeah, he wasn't the message that was going to come from Pen that we thought.
Speaker 5: It was just a coincidence.
Speaker 1: He was going to kill him though, like he went and cut his jacket. But yeah, so there's a little action there too. And then he ends up meeting up with the Pin again. That's when the Pin shows up in his van. It's like his mobile office. It's like, how do I take the tackiness of my office and and mobilize it for when I leave the house. I want to be filled like with tacky ship as well.
Speaker 4: He has it pin table lamp in his.
Speaker 1: It's like a limo're supposed to represent like a limousine.
Speaker 5: The only thing that he was missing on that band was a murror carpet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a mural of a barbarian m maybe yeah, but yeah, it's this this is too where he see we see that he lines himself with Penn. You know, he's working for him, a double agent kind of deal, like you said, to uncover the truth about Emily's death, you know, from the inside kind of deal. So I kind of like that. And he breaks into Pin's house after and finds all the money and you know, uh, he finds a brick wrapped in a tarp or the same tarp that was in his dreams to black. Yeah, yeah, that's why he's drawn to it. And then what happens, oh yeah, the same talp from his dream about Emily. And then he talks with Tug. We learn of the the bricks of the drugs. There there were what ten of them? Uh, eight of them went out smooth right in this steal to different places. And then you know, because Tug breaks it down for us from the top, you know, uh, and he and the ninth one is where it got fucked up, right, and that's the one that led to EM's death. What happened with that one? And then there's one more left and that's what causes like to stir in the very end of this, you know, after you find out.
Speaker 4: We have a scene earlier where Pen and Rendon are walking on the beach. It's like there, it's like his welcome party or whatever. Hm, and Penn confides that, like, I don't have control over Tug anymore and it might be a problem real soon, uh, which I think was a weird thing to tell this guy you just hired. But maybe he's just like, listen, you might have to be out, yeah, fucking get ready to duck, you know.
Speaker 1: So, like he was gonna ask him, He's like, what's you what are your thoughts on the.
Speaker 4: I was I was there when it all started. Three dollars bill Man.
Speaker 1: Just fake it till you make it nice. Yeah, but then we aarn of what the So the ninth the ninth brick was was cut or no, that one went missing went missing?
Speaker 4: Nick that came back cut And they think they someone put like fucking fabrics oftener in it because it put that guy Frisco. They keep they kept saying the word Frisco. We found out it's a person and he's in the Coleman hasn't woke up yet, which.
Speaker 5: Is like Fred Frisco or something like was his name or something like that.
Speaker 1: And so then we find out that the tenth one is is it's doubted whether or not it's it's legit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is all the stuff they're blaming Emily on, yeah, even though uh Kara and Laura kind of got her to do it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Yeah, it's all shady. But then he took Uh's a. He's picked up by Laura and he passes out though from exhaustion, and I thought he was druged at first, but then it's about he's apparently exhausted and also he's been swallowing his own blood for a portion of the day, That's what she says at least, And so he wakes up later with her kind of taking care of him in the back seat, but he's lost time now because he passed out. In Times of of the Essence at this point, well, he finds Dode and Doade was the one in the tunnel. We find out he thinks Brendan killed Emily though, so it's like they're all pointing fingers at each other, like we think it's dowed. There's a lot of red herrings in play before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before Brendan goes down to the tunnel with everybody he has a one on one just him and Doad, and Doad says, I'm about to rat you out to all these people and they're gonna fucking kill you because he thinks he killed Emily.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and that was that was on the football because so the the first uh telephone call with Doade where he's given the same note that he got earlier in the film to meet at that telephone booth, although it's in different handwriting, and we see him like he lost time. So he hauls ass to the telephone booth. And after that, like then we the scene that we're talking about now, we have the confrontation scene on the football field with Doad where he's like, I know it was you. I saw you there, I saw you move the body like you're involved, and it was funny. It's a great scene and it's funny. Is the doe Noah Segan. He apparently had really bad food poisoning that day and like had very strong flu like symptoms. He doesn't remember filming that scene at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's when actually, before that we find out that he met DoD at the tunnel where he thinks Brendan killed Emily. But we find out that Emily was actually pregnant this this whole time before.
Speaker 5: She asked he and he caught Brendan at the wrong time when he was moving the body and thinking that he was involved in her death, and it was just he Brendan was just kind of hiding her body so that he could have more time to figure out what happened to her, not obviously not trying to cover anything up. And yeah, it's a very tense scene on the phot Yeah, I mean several times.
Speaker 4: Like that's what I would have thought too if I saw someone body Dunnell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah. And then he goes after the football field. That's where he goes to meet with Penn and Tug and Dog's there as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like Doade had, he had met Brendan on the field and confronted him, and we we had already had the conversation at the phone booth that he wanted to hurt Brendan because thinking that he's involved. We have the confrontation at the football field, trying because Brendan wants to give his side of the story, but Doad's not hearing it.
Speaker 1: Does car several times throughout the film. Cigarette but yeah, cigarette thrown out of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he that day Noah Seagan, who plays Dode, was he had the flu or he had a food poisoning. He actually doesn't remember filming this scene at all that for that particular day, but I think he still delivered a great performance here him and Joseph gor and love it and yeah, kicks his ass again and Brendan blanks out and then yeah, we're back in the tunnel and it's uh, we got the pin, we got Tug, we got DoD, and Brendan is coming up from behind and this is where we get the uh. Just so another crazy scene from this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some really good camera work here where uh, the way the actors are facing each other and the way the camera is you think, you think Dode adults talking to Brendan, but Tug is right behind him, mean Mugg and Dode, and like it really sets this what's about to happen up? And I didn't catch it my first watch, but my second watch, it's like very clear what's about to happen.
Speaker 5: And yeah, that's because Tug thinks that Doad is talking about him, not Brendan. Yeah, and that yeah, I cause, yeah, that's why I'm with you. Matt because I thought that he was, uh, what the hell is he doing? I didn't get it at first, but now, like once I came back and rewatched the film, like, oh, he thinks that he's that Dad's about to rat him out because uh, Tug. Tug was involved in Emily's death, which was against the PINS instructions, and he was He's like, this guy's gonna wrap me out and I need he needs to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Tug's car. I mean I said does earlier, but yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but yeah, but yeah, this thing escalates and then Tug beats him and then shoots him in that execution style. Yeah, dude, And this is how they achieved that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how they achieved that too. It looks awesome, Like you see the blood splatter across the back of the U of the tunnel, but you have that smoke that billows out in the back of his head and it was just like a little air compressor that they used to achieve that effect.
Speaker 1: And it just it works because Penn calls Tug out there and then he just kind of disappears into the tunnel as the police sirens.
Speaker 5: I heard.
Speaker 1: It's it is a cool scene. Yeah, yeah, achieve a good bit with the budget. Yeah, we're gonna say, man.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Penn's been talking this whole time about how Tug is a loose cannon and it's right here is like it finally proves it and like, yeah, Pin, right now he's like, oh, I can't do business with this guy anymore. He's he's too out out of it.
Speaker 1: This is the boiling over moment. I guess everything's just yeah, about to blow.
Speaker 4: But then again we feel a little better too, because we thought our main character is about to get about to get framed for murder. It takes a left left turn, which you know, as the audience, you're like, well, at least that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: I have a question, right, do we think Tug was sleeping with Emily? Also, yeah, she's sleeping a yeah, yeah, yeah, to get drugs and do whatever.
Speaker 5: Because because the very next scene when when Brendan wikes up at Tug's place, Tug is kind of is having this conversation with them, thinking that like I think I think that was my kid in with Emily. He thought it was his kid. So you have yeah, here's the question for you guys. So Doe thinks it's his kid, and he he obviously wanted to be the father to Friendly's. Well, we know that's what I'm saying. So what so Tug, Tug and Doe think it's their kid. Does Brendan know that it's his?
Speaker 1: No, he does, by the end, I think because of what's her name?
Speaker 4: She tells him when she's in her Geisha makeup, and he throws and breaks her mirror for telling him. He gets very yeah.
Speaker 5: But but but at this moment, he doesn't know that it's his kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, no, not at that moment. It's Tug's family, is all. They're all all siblings that are wearing like the same outphae. They're all wearing white teeth.
Speaker 5: The Lymps, the olymp Biscuit family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 4: Brendan talks, well, we don't know Tug's last name. It could be Durst, you don't know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It could be could keep rolling. Let's keep rolling, guys. Brendan talks to brain at that point, right, and then he goes to see it goes.
Speaker 4: For Kara, Yeah, and this is yeah, lays it all out for you and for for him.
Speaker 1: That Emily was sleeping around in the end, we find out and.
Speaker 4: She basically amidst the manipulating Emily too, like, uh uh, later we learned it's not We learned it's not just her. It's her Anne, Lauren or Laura and Brad. Yeah, yeah, but right now we think it's just her mm hmm. And she's lucky. Brendan didn't like beat ship. He wanted to. He broke the mirror instead. You could tell he was very distraught.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then he but then he like rips off her kimono and kicks her out naked in front of everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then Brandon breaks down about Emily's death to Laura. Yeah, and it's a cool moment. I like it. And they make love or make out what I'm assuming.
Speaker 5: So okay, So here here's a thing just from having the the the Blu Ray that I bought. There are a few deleted scenes that Ryan Johnson ended up taking out, and the original cut of the film it is very explicit that they slept together. But he also but he felt that taking a few things out would kind of make the film a little bit more ambiguous. And you're not really sure, and I think it works here, So we're not really sure if it was just them, they did end up sleeping together. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Yeah, but based off based off the original idea, I'm just assuming that they slept together. And no, but going back to the old in the war films is like you have the you have that moment you cut away and they and you wake up, you cook back. Yeah, so they slept together. I would have, yeah, because when I was watching it for the first time, I was like, oh, yeah, they slept together, just because I know, once I figured out what Ryan Johnson was trying to do.
Speaker 1: How you know, because they're smoking cigarettes right exactly, Matt hears him in he recognizes a cigarette, but the same that was thrown from Tug's car earlier in the field, right Parliament.
Speaker 5: Do you think that when he sees that and Tug on the right, well, yeah, because he figures that out too. But is he starting to think, oh, no, she's involved.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Because I because I think I think he likes I think he likes Laura.
Speaker 1: He wants to trust her. Yeah, he wants to trust her for sure, because he knows her, you know, and she feels like she knows him. I think, you know, how she calls him out. You know, he feels seen by I think.
Speaker 4: On a second watch, like all her dialogue just feels so two faced, Like you hate her so much on the second watch because yeah, yeah, because she she is just fucking buttering them up in line and you don't get it. You're in the first watch, You're falling in love with her too. You're like, yes, please take care of this guy. He's fucking on his least. He's on his last rope, you know. Uh, And then the second the second watch, you just hate her so much.
Speaker 5: Now do you think that Laura has Does she actually like Brendan in any capacity?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think so, But I think she's also, like Matt said, she's a manipulator and that's what she does best. So he's a pawn to her. Yeah, likes him.
Speaker 4: I think she's infatuated with him because she controls everyone else so easily.
Speaker 1: But he doesn't fall for it.
Speaker 4: He doesn't fall for it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think this goes back to what we've been talking about the Maltese Falcon. She's the bridget O'Shaughnessy character in that she does love Sam Spade to a certain degree, but she's also a manipulator, and Sam doesn't fall for the the tactics and he's he's like, hey, you know what, if it's not you, I got I hope it's not you. But if it is you, then uh you know hey, same as double double. Yeah, it wants it to be straight down the line, but its just not straight.
Speaker 1: Down the line baby.
Speaker 5: Wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. She's a good fund fatale though. The actress.
Speaker 5: I like her, and she's amazing. She does an amazing job. I like what she did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our end scene will get to it. But I do think that that implies that there's something there, there's something unsaid or said, but we don't hear it right right, We'll get to that. But she is a manipulator though, and she's ultimately a very bad person in this story. Honestly, she's complacent in a lot of things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and in a weird way. Not only is she she's she's actually manipulating the she's the real bad boss of the of the film because she's manipulating everyone the pin tug.
Speaker 1: Cigarette puff, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And she was the one that's been fucking around with the bricks in the end, and really, and she's trying to set up this war and to cover her own ass. She's going to set up everyone to kill everyone, kill everyone. You know, it's but she's not.
Speaker 1: Emily was just damage, right.
Speaker 5: She So she was able to use Emily because she had gone to her for help, and so oh she wants in, and I can use her as a as a pawn to keep my distance yet continue to enact my plan.
Speaker 1: And I'm not because that one guy died, so he's in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's Laura. Laura was cutting, cutting the bricks and take stealing profit and she was she wasn't gonna get caught until that guy got put in a coma because she cut it two mons. And now now she's all this is just her trying to cover her ass's scrambling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she almost gets away with it too, which is crazy, Like.
Speaker 1: So she's.
Speaker 4: Cut it a little less.
Speaker 1: She got too greedy, she did, which often is what happens. That's the case almost all the time with these stories. But after that, yeah, there's a meet up right between Tug and his guys and the Pin and his men, and Tug's in all white and the pens in black. You got the white and black almost like a chessboard.
Speaker 5: Maybe yo, I never thought of that, but that is exactly what they I'm sure that he was thinking, Uh, yeah, you have the goss and the Dursts.
Speaker 1: You know, it's you got Marilynd Manton and yeah, gots and alternatives.
Speaker 4: And Brendan's really breaking his back to get these guys not to go to war. Yeah, they're both just their egos.
Speaker 1: Are so big and he doesn't like them either, but he's.
Speaker 4: So he's covering his own ass.
Speaker 5: Here's another question I have. What was Brendan trying to keep the piece just for as long as he could to figure out what was going on before everyone kills everybody kills each other maybe or or was it like he was he knew what was gonna happen. After he's he started to figure things out, and it's like I'm gonna I'm gonna cut the knees out from under.
Speaker 1: Whoever, because he takes advantage of the situation. Maybe when he sets up.
Speaker 4: A plan to get them arrested. He puts Emily's Bobby in the back of the trunk.
Speaker 5: And the I think the bad brick as well is in the trunk to the missing brick is in the trunk.
Speaker 1: And so all the pieces are there.
Speaker 4: His plan because she calls the cops like ten minutes before Brain was supposed to call the cops.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, and that's when he because he knew the timeline that he had set up, and when that got fucked up, he knew the brain Brain didn't do it, and so it had to be the piece that he couldn't figure out, and that was that was Lauren.
Speaker 1: And at this point that they're discussing the last brick at this meeting, and it's implied, the tensions arising that it's implied the Tug is behind all of it, most of it, killing Emily Dode and stealing the brick and cutting it, and Penn wants a dougsproved, and Emily stole it that night, so Britna is bringing the someone the bad brick is coming back.
Speaker 4: Another brick just got stolen and she puts it in her locker like a dumbass.
Speaker 1: So Penn wants Tug to He wants him to dose himself with the drugs if he's going to prove that that that he didn't fuck with the dosage, you know, uh, if he's not behind it at all. And then Brendan drops the gud and high tails it out of there, right. Yeah, after the shootout happened.
Speaker 4: Mm HMMs to take it, take the drugs to prove that they're not cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a commotion downstairs all of a sudden during.
Speaker 4: That moment upstairs, Yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Upstairs, that's right there in the the gun.
Speaker 4: Goes off through the through the ceiling, and I I originally I thought, oh, he someone just died, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah. My thing was like, so, why why was there that commotion in the hallway already? Is because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she stole the brick and they found out the brick.
Speaker 5: Was gone, and then and so they were blaming the the Durst and and that's when all help broke loose outside and that's where Tug and the Pin were just like they fuck this, and they get into a fight.
Speaker 4: And they immediately start blaming each other like yeah, Pins like, oh, you're only bring all your dudes here to steal my ship, and and it Pins like, oh, you only want to see the frameless and you know, get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Tug pulls his piece, but Brandan grabs it as Tug begins to beat Penn to death.
Speaker 4: With him for help, and Brendan just fine and didn't help me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of feel bad. I kind of feel bad for Pin here a little bit because.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day is a fucking high school kid. Well actually, actually no, but yeah, I like it because he's you know, he kind of sucks.
Speaker 4: So well, they both like I was kind of hoping like and would go off and they would both be well, that's that's the thing.
Speaker 5: So Brendan had escaped with the gun, and he keeps hearing the cries for help and here's the sirens, and he drops the gun and he kicks it back into the room, knowing that like they're one is smart, so he doesn't have the gun on him. But he's like, well, they're gonna take one of them, is gonna take one of the other ones out, So they're.
Speaker 1: Never even gonna look for his prints. They're gonna assume that gun belongs to whoever's in that room, and that's it. If he gets out of it, yep, bingo.
Speaker 4: And then Tug Tug ends up killing Pin and then the cops Yeah, killing Tug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he tried to shoot him shoot his way out and.
Speaker 1: From the body, you.
Speaker 4: Only got five bullet flip.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, five shots or six shots are only.
Speaker 1: Five magnum clean off.
Speaker 4: Magnum.
Speaker 1: But yeah, after that, Brennan he escapes and he meets up with Lower one.
Speaker 4: Last time, and she does some really good in the scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she plays this fatale or uh you know this female.
Speaker 5: This final scene is amazing.
Speaker 4: It is her best scene in the movie.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely. And Brennan has everything figured out at this point because she had told him don't go, meaning that she had something planned, but she because she had some sort of feelings for him, she didn't want to see him get hurt in this situation. Obviously, Brennan goes and he does what he does, knowing that the timeline got fucked up. He's like, well, the only missing piece in this in this puzzle is Laura, And he finally puts all the puzzle peek in together and now.
Speaker 4: They're back on the football field, which is like, this is the spot where all the truth comes out in this movie.
Speaker 1: He breaks it down slow for her.
Speaker 5: Well, that seems that, yeah, you're right that this is the uh every moment. Yeah, there's a lot of moments of truth at the football field. Yeah, you're right, Matt and yeah, so they uh, he's like he breaks it all down, it's like uh and is telling her like, hey, well here, I wasn't there and it's like oh thank god. And you know, it's like what and he asked her, like what happens? Well, it's so he gets the skinny on exactly what happens, and he knows that his name is no nowhere near the situation. And that's when he's like, okay, good because he had already set up where the vice principal character played by Richard Browntree, he gets the tip of like the drugs are going to be in this locker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he I think he's really sincere when he's like, I hope I'm wrong. I hope the drugs aren't in your locker, but we both know that they are. Like yeah, like you know, you feel like you feel bad for him because he's basically he fell in love his girlfriend, his girl died, he's falling in love again, and now he's he's about to lose this girl too. Like it's been a rough two months.
Speaker 1: You know, that's why he doesn't trust he probably never will again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Plus he's already an outcast for being a snitch too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: That's that no one knows that yet, and that's I think that's the main reason he's it's not the main it's one of the reasons he's turning her in is because VP said he needed someone Escapeoat. Yeah, she's all he has left and he probably thinks she deserves it too, after what she did to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, Tug is when Tug even though Tug yes is the one responsible for killing Emily, he's not the one that put her behind the gun. That's what Laura did.
Speaker 1: And that's what like.
Speaker 5: He's like, you are responsible ultimately, and you're responsible for all the deaths that happened that night, and it's only just a sheer luck and my my wit that got me out of that situation.
Speaker 4: And she does some great acting where you can tell she knows, but she doesn't want to face that truth and she's really yeah, yeah, he doesn't want to feel what she's responsible because.
Speaker 5: You can see, like when he breaks it all down, you can just see the fuck on her face.
Speaker 1: And he tells her too, that he left a note with Truman of the truth, right, So that's she begs him not to do it.
Speaker 4: It's such a great line. She's begging him not to go do it. He's like, I already did it. I just came from the.
Speaker 5: Baby.
Speaker 4: You can't talk me out of it, which is you know her go Yeah.
Speaker 1: She recalls the baby was three months old, right, making it right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was starting the show already. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, now that's a hard blow. I feel like that's where he's it's solidifi he call that much.
Speaker 5: But here's another question too. Okay, so we now have this final information that she was three months pregnant. Was Emily sleeping with tug and Doade because she didn't she knew that she was pregnant, but she didn't want it to be Brendan's baby. She wanted to be one of these other guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's that's feasible, but making them think that it was their kid, especially if she wants if she knows Brennan's bad for her and doesn't want to be with him, Uh yeah, like she would kind of have to sleep with someone else or he's gonna know it's his baby and he's going to be in her life for the next you know, two decades.
Speaker 5: That's a good point, Yeah, because it's like, because Emily doesn't she. We're always talking about how innocent she is in this whole situation, and obviously she was with Brendan, who was bad for her. They were bad for each other, and she finds out that she's pregnant. It's like, fuck, I do not I don't want Brendan in my life. So she sleeps with some other people that are maybe not good for her either, but maybe better for her than Brendan. Doad, clearly, I think would have been maybe a better situation because Doad seemed like he really cared about Emily and he wanted to be a good father to the baby, and he actually thought it was his. So I don't know what what would have happened, but yeah, I think I was. I was curious about what Emily's thoughts were in this situation. And this goes back to my point earlier in our discussion, is that Emily's in the film for five minutes, but she has such a lasting impact on the whole story. I mean, this is really Emily's story. We're just seeing it through like the eyes of all these other characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think Laura was gonna tell him, but now after he after now that she.
Speaker 1: Was her last move.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well fuck you like that. That's what this is, is the last book before she goes to the jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's her last move on the chest board, you know what I mean? Yeah? Yeah, and then uh, what's that hold on?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: He that's when she whispers something in his ear right, and we never hear I think what it was. She says, mother, and then it's just it's like, you think, so, do you think he really did say a bad word?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think more than it was and really wasn't okay because Brain shows up and he's like they closed the case, and Brain asked him, like, what she whisper in your ear?
Speaker 5: And he said yeah, because I don't know if Yeah, I caught I watched this with the subtitles on, so he kind of catched some of the language that they were using in the film with all the kind of.
Speaker 1: To make you think that that's what she says, but in the actual story she says something more.
Speaker 5: Hey, that's a good that's a great question. And so I don't know if this was something that was released with the subtitles or if it was that was something that was added, But we don't actually really know what was said similar to like there will be blood when there's that Daniel day Lewis's Daniel Plainview is whispering to Paul Daniel's character, because we never hear that, So I'm wondering if it was supposed to be kind of a similar situation there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I uh, he tells Brain to go home and go to bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, she told me a already word and he protects her yeah way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so in some weird way, Yeah, in some weird way, I think it was kind of a cool his way of caring for Laura.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a very the War ending. I like it leaves it very open ended. What happens to Brendan, what happens to the school, what happens to the whole this whole.
Speaker 4: Thing they showed them. They show the teachers opening the locker and finding the brick. So yeah, he's busted. I mean like she they don't.
Speaker 1: He gives her a head start in a way, but yeah, much like it reminds me of the Batman, you know, Catwoman goes her way and right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Also a great no war film, absolutely, Yeah, But yeah, I like this end a good bit honestly on the second try, I think it it makes a film because there's moments that way. The film to me is a little like in between. And I think the ending, at least, say nail Nailing the ending, I think is important, you know, in a way tying it all up at least some of the loose ends, not all of them, because I think the ambiguity of some of it is interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I know Ryan Johnson there, like I said, there are several deleted scenes, and he like the cut. The original cut of the movie was much longer, and he felt that it kind of gave away too much or it was too long in places, so he cut a bunch of stuff out or even changed certain scenes to make it a little bit more ambiguous. And you're like, what's going on there? And I think it for the most part, I think his edits worked in the film. And I said, I like this ending. I think it works really well and does paid a huge tribute to the old noir films of the past.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I guess that Bo sums it up so for Brick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the film was shot in twenty days. It debuted at the Sundance Film Festival on January twenty first of two thousand and five, and Johnson worked to keep himself in the film in a low profile to lower the expectations, which was a gamble that paid off in his film winning the Jury Award for originally a Vision for a Drama Prize, as well as the film being picked up by Focus Features to distribute theatrically. Focus Features gave it a limited release, with the film debuting on April seventh, two thousand and six, in the United States, and despite it only being shown in select theaters, the film was a giant financial success, making four million dollars off of that four hundred and fifty thousand dollars budget we discussed in our pre production. The film has since gained cult status and his launched Ryan Johnson into a very successful career that he has today. But yeah, why do you give us the breakdown our rating system? Heyderberg? And why do you give us your final thoughts on Brick?
Speaker 1: All right? You want me to break it down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, break it down, baby, block it down.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna spin it for you real quick. Here some pros. I really liked the film score, and I like that rattle that like played throughout with the acoustic guitar, like it just has the thing. Yeah, it's no oorish, it's different, and I like the atmosphere too, Like I think for the most part they achieve of something really cool. I think it's a bitter sweet love tale in a way, not your it's not your regular life tale. Like he's not a hero in a way he was. You know, he may have been in love, but his love was toxic. We we see so like he's a very flawed character, which is what you normally get with these stories. So I think that's fine.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like the experimental nature too, of the story being like a mix of high school drama and film noar like nothing I'd ever been done like that before as far as neo noir films go. I think this was an interesting take on it. It's definitely paying homage to classic films, and now that I've done this show, I can pick up on a lot more of those homages. I think. Uh, the case itself is intriguing to me. It's a it's a little slow, but it kept me engaged for the most part. You know, the the who's and the what's and the hows of of of it.
Speaker 3: All, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of a lot of moving parts if you will, man, you know, uh the dude of butts and I'm just kidding, but yeah. The acting is all well done too, for the most part, I think, and I enjoyed the writing as well. It's it's it's it's hammed up for sure for effect because of the film's theme. But it's well written and it captures the vibe pretty well of a near film. It sounds a little silly sometimes seeing young high schoolers maybe speak this way, but once you like get over that, you know, you're just like, okay. Once you like, if you go into it knowing that it's a high school no war, you're gonna be like, oh okay, I get this. Especially if you have some experience with the genre. I think you'll appreciate it. I think the acting, as far as like cons go, the acting isn't all the best. I'm looking at you, Tug like he's pretty bad.
Speaker 5: Uh. You know, Biscuit isn't the best actor in this film.
Speaker 1: No no, but he'll keep rolling, you know, he'll keep wronging. It's it's also slow and if tad boring at times. If I could see like you know it, you got to be into it, you know what I mean, you gotta. It doesn't move very fast. It's not an action film, you know what I mean. It's a it's a it's a mystery, and it takes a little time to get into it. And also the dialogue might throw you off, So for some it might be a tough watch first time. I still recommend getting through it and if you can watch it a second time, because then you pick up more. Like I said, it's also a little long. The plot moves well enough, but it feels a little thin sometimes once in a while, but it, like I said, it's pretty intriguing still, you know, it's it's an ror film in high school. When you get over it, it's like basically that's you know, at its core, and it ultimately feels it feels very original. But also I don't know, it lacks a little punch in the execution just a little bit.
Speaker 5: For me like it.
Speaker 1: I admire it, but I can see it's the indie side of it too. It's a little scrappy and sometimes that hurts it a little bit. But I really do like the premise and the execution for the most part. Is really solid. There's some good actors in this young actors that have gone on further now to really have great careers. And Johnson, like you said himself, has also done some good movies and some really really bad ones. I'm looking at you.
Speaker 5: Shit, I oh, I was gonna measure that too. Yeah that movie sucks, Yeah it sucks.
Speaker 1: But with that said, I'm giving Brick from two thousand and five our rating system. I didn't go over the rating system, but I'm gonna I'll give it to you right now. I'll spin a fear real fast rating scale goes from the top to the bottom, instant classic being the best you can get, buy it, rent it in the middle, watch the trailer, and then never ever watch this shit. And so, like I said, for all those reasons, I'm gonna give Brick from two thousand and five, I'm gonna give it a watch the trailer, slash rent it, and then I think if you do that, you might enjoy it more and it could go up further in our scale for you as well as me on another watch. But yeah, for right now, I think that's where I sit. Watch the trailer, slash rent it.
Speaker 5: Robert Well, Well, I have a quick question for you before I get thoughts. Did this film go up or down since you first watched it, like back back in the day, because you're introducing this film to us, did it go up or down for you?
Speaker 1: The the appeal of the premise and the originality of it is right where I always thought it would be. It's it's still interesting to me. But now that we've discussed it and I have to rate it a little bit, it's come down a little bit. As far as entertainment, I still think it's all. I just think I think it's like, hey, check it off the list if you like no or films, because this is a different look at it, you know, that kind of genre, and I think that's interesting as I think that holds it further for me. If not, I might forget about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I was just curious. It's a mood.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I always it's the kind of mood I want to be in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you came in much lower than I expected. I'll just say that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, just because my pick doesn't mean it's like an all instant.
Speaker 5: It's no pool, you know, you know, I mean, no film other than Costa Blanca really.
Speaker 1: Is the Godfather and Casa Blanca and Florida legend, yeah exactly. Anyway, Yeah, I don't know, you know what I mean. Like, there's definitely some things that stick in my crawl a little bit with this movie, and it's not but there's also things that I do enjoy. And I think if you could throw another coat of paint on this thing, I think it would really shine, Like you know what I mean, it's it's got bones, it's so yeah for that, It's not a throwaway just for me. I think it might not be for everybody. So I think maybe a watch or trailer or renting or just a solid rent, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, my final thoughts on the film. I love this film. I think it's I think this is really awesome movie. And like we just mentioned it earlier, but I hate The Last Jedi. But I actually I think that's Ryan Johnson's worst film. But I like him as a director and when he's when he's creating his own projects, and and Brick is definitely the definition of an origin work. I think he does a great job. And he took a genre noir that has been played with in many different ways and he's still he did something unique with it, and I think that needs to be celebrated, obviously knowing that he's a dash old Hammet fan. Like I said, we talked about it all throughout our discussion that Maltese Falcon kept coming to my mind watching this movie, and I feel like this is kind of an interesting take on the Maltese Falcon story a little bit. I think it's a miracle we get such a good film on the budget Johnson had and the obstacles that he was that he had to face, and with you know, this being his first film, but that goes to show the vision and passion of a director similar till we discussed last week in our dual episode. You know, these passions fuel our directors, and if you really care about making something work, you can overcome these impossible odds. And Brick is another example of that. The soundtrack that's crafted well by his cousin Nathan Johnson. I think it's great. It fits into our aesthetic and it's something unique as well. It's taking something a little bit of the old and putting something new into it. And we talked about that on several times, Like, Man, this soundtrack kicks ass the I guess if you had a ding on the film. For me, uh, it was kind of having if you're not, if you're new to the film, you've never watched it, and you it's like, wait, what the hell are these high school kids talking about? You're thinking of, like, are we having this real story of like this mystery that happens in high school. No, it's that's not the point of the movie. It's more of it just happens to take place in high school. But this is a movie. It's not a real situation. It's just it's kind of utilizing high school in this genre, and that if you're not familiar with the story, that can make you feel a little weird, as it did to me the first time I watched it. But once you understand what Ryan Johnson's going for, I think it's really cool. And the language I think kicks ass. The dialogue kicks ass. And I also think, like I think all the actors did really, really well. Joseph Gordon Levitt was really the glue that held everything together because we talked about if he didn't work, the story doesn't work, because he is one, he's a phenomenal actor and he did a lot of work to make and did his homework to make this film work. But yeah, I like similar to Malty's Falcon when we talked when we were giving our final thoughts on that that's a film that, over the many watches, it's a film that I like more and more and more. And Brick for me is the same. And I actually, because I've watched it several times this week, I gotta give I gotta get break a by it. I think it's I think this movie is awesome. It's it takes a genre that I love and it kind of flipped it on its head and did something really cool with it. So yeah, I'm going to give it a buy it. Mister Matt, how are you feeling about the film?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm about to reiterate a lot of what you both said.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm not very familiar with noir films like like you two are, but this really like when I think of noir films, now, I'm gonna think of the dialogue in this movie.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think that the writing in this movie is superb Uh. The watching it with the subtitles on and just watching the way they use language to describe things. It's very poetic and uh, I Yeah, it's it's it's in times. At times it's it's beautiful. Like just the way they spin a phrase, you know it get it got me excited about things that are mundane. So yeah, the writing is amazing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: There's also like a real heavy mood here, Like it's like, uh, the the mood of the whole cast and of the school and it's like it's heavy and tired and dim and uh and like you carry that around with you even after the movie turns off. Uh, it really sinks you into that world. I think this is a really good Who Done It? It's like it's a fun puzzle to solve. It's not it's not so difficult that you can't figure it out. It's just hard enough that you feel satisfied when you when you finally put all the pieces together. And I imagine that has to be hard to do. I've never had to write a Who Done It? Movie, but I've seen some bad ones, and this is not hell. Yeah, this this done a really good job. At the end, at the end, when you find out that it was Laura, not only does it all make sense, but you you feel clever because you understand everything that just happened, and uh, that's you know, that's that's the movie's job. And it did it. It did it quite well. Uh what you said about Joseph Gordon Levitt's acting, he holds this movie up. Without him, this movie does not work. Uh, especially now that you've seen where he where he has ended up as an actor. I think they did.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: They got really lucky getting him young and while he was young and hungry.
Speaker 5: Just before he took off as a real star.
Speaker 4: And this might be I mean, like I couldn't imagine being a director back in six and watching this movie and thinking he can't do whatever I need him to do because he obviously some cons. I wish we would have eased them to the setting more. It's very surreal, and my first watch I was I felt lost. Uh yep, Like so I compared it to the ninety six Romeo and Juliet that they did a real good job with that, where they didn't. It didn't hit you like a fucking brick to the face when the movie started, and this one kind of did. So maybe there's a way to eat I mean, I don't know what it would be, but maybe there's a way to ease that beginning and make it more comfortable for us coming in this movie is a I would have liked more Emily and Lord Time. I think both those characters could have used some more spotlight. I get why they're not in there because it helps with the mystery of it all, but you know, I would have liked to have seen them actors and them characters both be showcased a little more and give us a little more understanding. Tug's acting, Oh my god, it's so weak. And for y'all that didn't know the childhood classic Josh and Sam. The actor who played Tug played Sam. So he is he's a child Yeah, he's a child actor aging into adult rose and he's he obviously struggled in this movie. I haven't seen him anything else. Maybe he got a little better down the road. I feel bad talking bad about the actor, but the director or someone should have took him to the side and helped coach him a little better. As my final review, I'm right there with you, Rob, I'm a buy it. And this is weird because when I first watched.
Speaker 5: This movie, I was not a byot, But now no, I wasn't either.
Speaker 4: I this movie has sitting in my head. And the more I think about it, the more I like it, and the more I'm likely to uh recommend it to people. Now, I mean like this movie. Also, this movie is not for everybody. It's a buy it for me. But you know, like, uh, I don't I know there's people out there that would immediately turn this movie off. Uh, so you know there is a caveat there that this isn't for everybody, but it is for me, and I wouldn't mind. I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a high rewatchability to this film too, because I think it requires multiple watches because once you put that puzzle together, now you start to see all the details that maybe you missed and it's like, oh, now I see how this this part connects to this part, and it makes a lot, makes a lot more sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's it's a buy it for me.
Speaker 1: Nice. So both of you actually like it more a little bit more than I do, which is surprising.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this is amat Yeah, yeah, this is this is awesome. I really like it a lot.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I'm happy here. Like it's not a competition, so it's not like no.
Speaker 5: No, Well and this kind of shows because what Ryan Johnson is doing now with the Knives Out films. I mean this is this is kind of a a precursor to he likes these little detective genres, these uh noir mystery thrillers, which is yeah.
Speaker 1: I think because I got the Christy homage, you know series, and this was yeah, you know it's they have similar things as well with the detective.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and that's why I like him sticking in that because clearly he loves it, and he does such a good job in the in in doing these films, and I want him to do as many as he can because they're great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Even Looper had a little elements of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely had Joseph Gordon Levitt, who obviously he liked working with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe we'll come horrendous fake nose on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I pulled pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought he did too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's gonna be tough anyway. But yeah, So that was Brick and our review on it. Next week. It's your pick, right, Matt, Yeah, what do you have in store? What's swinging Conan?
Speaker 4: The Barbarian fantasy movies? The I would say the Sword and Sandals movie or Sword and Sorcery movie. Everything else is compared to this, and I'm so glad we get to watch it together.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited to watch this for the very first time. This is very exciting for me, so thank you for introducing it. I can't wait to watch it.
Speaker 1: Nice me too. It's been a while. It's been a while, but yeah, we have. We have other projects as well other than cinnamego's that we do. I have a Cut Above Horror Review. It's a horror movie review show much like this with John Jacquelin and myself rate and review horror movies each week. It's a fun time. You should check us out where anywhere you can find your podcasts. We're on Instagram at a Cut Above dot Horror, on the Score Review, on x at Cut Above Horror, and on Facebook at a Cut Above Horror Review. Matt, what about you? Where can Avice finished find you?
Speaker 4: I have an old podcast called Swords and Stereo. Our backlog is still up. We talk about historical fencing and then I run a historical fencing group here in Jacksonville, Florida. It's called Bull City Longsword and we trained for manuals from the sixteenth and seventeenth century. We do long sword rape, beer, and Sword and Butler. If if you're in North Florida, you should swing by and you know, swing swords with us. Nice, what about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can find me on YouTube, me and my co host Andy, Circle of Drugs podcast. You can hits up on Instagram Circle of Drugs Podcast and on x at podcast coj.
Speaker 1: Nice And if you wanted to catch more Cinemigos, you can find us on Instagram at Cinemgos Underscore podcast and you could email us if you wanted to at the Cinemigos podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 5: You can hit us up on x at, Trustcinemeigos t R E S c I n E and my g os us on Letterbox Cinamigos and make sure to give us those five star ratings. Comment on the episodes, uh and yeah, interact with us. We we'd love to hear your thoughts on the episodes or thoughts on movies that you'd like us to cover that maybe we haven't thought of. Maybe maybe we'll have a triple bubble at some point, like where none of us have watched the episode so or the movie so, and we can cover that mm hmm.
Speaker 4: We're also on Facebook at Facebook backslash cinemigos.
Speaker 1: Backslash, what is it?
Speaker 4: Front slash? Side slash?
Speaker 1: Is there a slash? I don't even know. I don't say that shit anymore. Believe in slashes anyway. Yeah, so check us out on all the social Media's what you want the wholetel? You want me to tell it to you tell it to me all right from the top. Here your badgers, budgets. We ain't got no budgets. We don't need no budges. I don't have to show you in a stinking budges