Speaker 1: An update on a big jewelry heist story. Tricia's got it for us and the story we love. In just a moment, just a little bit ago, we were talking about how you act like a child at birthday parties and getting cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're afraid that you're not going to get a slice.
Speaker 3: And it it takes everything to me to not push the small children out of the way.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you about the struggle they had probably lasted thirty seconds, but felt like a lifetime.
Speaker 2: At the grocery store the other night.
Speaker 4: For me, We're on the little Debbie aisle because been there.
Speaker 1: No, I was in the slices of cake isle, you know, the refrigerated little thing or they got different slices of different delicious cakes in there. And I stood there and I was getting some healthy food, trying to and I stood there and I looked and I held, and I looked and I held, I'm trying not to friends, I'm trying to cut back on that type of stuff. And finally I just put it down and walked away and just stormed away from that little piece of cake that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to add so bad.
Speaker 1: I wanted it so so bad, and I was like nope, and I walked away and I stormed off.
Speaker 3: You know what they would tell you, if you wanted it that bad, you should have had it because now it's an even bigger one in your brain.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But it was like again, me with the brain telling the body who's in charge. That's what I was doing that forties wheel of.
Speaker 4: Live from the Lester Holtz Studios.
Speaker 3: It's Trisha Delicia. You're gonna love this story, Sandy. In July of twenty twenty two, three years ago, seven men held up a Brinx semi truck in southern California. No one was held at gunpoint, there were no injuries, and the thieves made away with more than one hundred million dollars worth of jewelry in a matter of minutes. Nobody heard, no guns pulled out, not a single witness was around. The crew stole twenty four bags filled with Rolex watches, emerald rings, diamond rings, gold necklaces. And here's a random item, a lavender jade stone that they say was the size of a cicada.
Speaker 2: You love comparing size things.
Speaker 3: When they compare them to random animals at insects as cicada. So this happened in twenty twenty two, and June seventeenth, federal authorities finally announced charges against the seven men. In addition to massive the massive robbery, the US Attorney's Office is considering it again the largest jewelry heights in history. So they're charged in a series of thefts from cargo trucks starting in March.
Speaker 2: All that's a professionals.
Speaker 4: See, Oh, these are for sure professionals.
Speaker 3: Clearly had a system worked out that was very successful, and they were able to get the cargo, take the cargo and go. It does not explain exactly how they tracked them down, but it is on record as the largest jewelry heights in history.
Speaker 2: Had to be inside.
Speaker 3: Help Oh that they did not hold anybody at gunpoint on the Brinks.
Speaker 2: Track and the Brinkuys are armed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no injuries, no witnesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's stinks this whole. If I had have been on that robbery and I'd have solve.
Speaker 4: This, you'd have solved it more than three years ago, less than three three years.
Speaker 1: I'd have probably solved it that day, that day, stop it that day.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But they were doing things like scouting stuff like scouting jewelry shows and stuff like that, getting you know.
Speaker 4: They were doing it was clearly clearly professional.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The big question with that is always once you've got the goods, what do you do with it? Like, how do you.
Speaker 4: Write, how do you fence it? How do you size the money?
Speaker 2: Emerald or whatever it was?
Speaker 3: I mean, if all the things in the world, if I'm gonna like you guys, I just tole this piece of jewelry.
Speaker 4: It's the size of a cicada. What something more common than that.
Speaker 3: It's like the guy who was comparing asteroid sizes that could hit Earth to like forty seven giraffes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Do wonder if these guys will get lesser charges because they weren't armed, you know what I mean. Our robbery is different than yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, just like a regular bank robbery, A huge difference in years if it's with a gun or a knife and not so.
Speaker 4: Interesting good stuff. I see the.
Speaker 3: Picture of the lavender stone in it's the size of a cicada.
Speaker 4: Would never have chosen a cicada.
Speaker 2: That's the story we love.
Speaker 1: She stressed her my name is Sandy Moore, coming up on Austin's eighties station one Oh three point one. There's not a whole lot of studies that I would want to be involved with, but this one would have been kind of interesting, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And do you see how long they did it?
Speaker 3: Over a twenty years and include a one point eight million people in this study, So I'm going to say it's accurate, right, and.
Speaker 1: They did it across one hundred and eighty three countries. What they did a study looked into quote, dark personality traits and found that humans can display different levels of those traits depending on locations. We're talking about is psychopaths, all right, people who have traits that are narcissistic machabellian and are psychopathic.
Speaker 2: Right, they desire or urge to exploit others.
Speaker 3: That's what makavelianism is, right, Like Tricia said, twenty years of study. So here are the four states that contain the highest percentage of people with dark personality traits. Nevada, Okay, New York, Yeah, South Dakota.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: I've spent some time in South Dakota, and I found the people there to be lovely, delightful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And our home state of Texas.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really doesn't surprise me at all. As for countries, the ones that ranked the highest include the Land of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, and Japan.
Speaker 2: Japan, they got the psychopaths out there, right.
Speaker 3: People with the most psychopathic traits within those countries.
Speaker 1: Psychopaths are people that they really like. If they hurt someone, they don't really register the emotion or pain that they're inflicting.
Speaker 4: No empathy. Yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Very narcissistic, very me, me, me, how it makes me feel?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And people are not human, They're really just objects to them, right, and manipulative, right, crazy people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't look at you as a human being. They look at you as a tool, a way to get what they want. They do something to you so they can feel the way they want to feel. Tricia has a psychology degree, so she knows what she's talking. I do a little bit, but also I read the article. But I mean I remember in my when in college doing my abnormal psychology class, and you're like, WHOA Like there. I think there are a lot more psychopaths out there than we are actually aware of.
Speaker 2: Are they born that way or are they developed?
Speaker 4: I think they're born that way.
Speaker 3: You just finished watching Dahmer like he was like that from a young age. I think that that something can happen in your life that makes something shift or break in your brain that can create it. But I think if you talk to any of the famous psychopaths, Ted Bundy, right, normal childhood, and I think it's I think it's in them. Oh my gosh, Dexter, Dexter, I know he's not.
Speaker 2: Dexter had a traumatic event.
Speaker 4: I know there's dark fashion.
Speaker 3: I think we all have dark passengers. Some of them are smaller than others. I for sure have a dark passenger, and they manifest differently. Right, I'm saying I would kill people. I'm just saying that I have a dark passenger.
Speaker 5: That can be mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I've got one too.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know it can be violent. It can be violent, I know.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if you're in those four states, keep your head on a swivel. Friends, Yeah, I can about the states. Nevada, New York, South Dakota, and Texas. Stay with us, We've got more coming up. The JB and Sandy Show starts at seven. If you missed yesterday's show, here's something you missed. All right, Summer is here.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess summer officially kicks off. It's the twenty first of June, the first day of summer.
Speaker 5: I feel like that's what it is that feels and sounds weird. When we hit triple digits in May, yeah, it was a.
Speaker 2: Freaking bit easy so far. I mean, it hadn't been hot at all. It's been a little more humid. We had a little bit of humidity, but yeah, I mean high's in the lower nineties for the next ten days or so.
Speaker 5: So yeah, there's probably so many people listening who just moved here and they're hearing you say it hadn't been bad yet, and they're going to.
Speaker 1: What You're like, Yeah, They're like, what do you mean it's gonna get worse?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You have seen nothing? Yeah nothing. I mean sometimes here it's like living on the surface of the moon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of the sun. Surface of the sun.
Speaker 1: But if you want to get out and check out some pools that you can get grab a day pass to, Chrisia's.
Speaker 3: Got a list of Yeah, they went through and picked the top eight spots that you can go to pools and hotels and stuff like that. Some of them have day passes, some of them don't one of them on the list. The Austin Motel on South Congress.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's got that real kitchy kind of retro you looking, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Funky retro.
Speaker 3: It's it's a nineteen thirty eight motor lodge and they still have their kidney shaped pool outside.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can buy a day pass for Friday through Sunday. Passes start at fifty bucks Monday through Thursday twenty five. Go hang out whenever you want. The Commodore Perry Estate pool. I feel like I know where that is, but I can't think of where that is right now. I think it's that's about picturing. Yeah, no, that's not it.
Speaker 5: No, Commodore Perry's over by Hancock.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh is it? Well? I believe so, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe look that up, but it's it's it's an outdoor pool chase lounges. It's beautiful, very like White LOTUSY feel if y'all haven't seen the White Lotus, you don't know what it is, but you do have to be a guest at the hotel too. Is their pool, but they're just saying for day trippers come stay and use our pool. Is that where it is?
Speaker 2: It's it's on Red River.
Speaker 5: It's right because I used to live on Park Boulevard right there, which is the next street over when College. Oh, it's just like forty you can see the whole estate from forty first forty first in red River, just on the north.
Speaker 3: Side where oh, I like, I know.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I picture my head now too.
Speaker 3: Right. Another one you can buy a day past two starting at twenty five bucks is the downright Austin Hotel.
Speaker 2: That's a cool little place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been there a few times for like work stuff.
Speaker 2: That's a quirky pool too.
Speaker 5: It looks very it looks like you're in a on the set of laugh In Yeah, exactly, of its real sixties ish Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's in the sunken dining room.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very cool, very cool little place. Fairmont Austin day passes as well. That one's at one on one Red River. A lot of these are downtown. It's one that will give you a really great city view. The seventh floor rooftop pool is good for a great city.
Speaker 2: That's a gorgeous hotel. Yeah, gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Here's when I have not been to hotel Magdalena JB.
Speaker 4: You heard of that.
Speaker 5: Magdalena is on Music Row part of you where all the fancy fancy shops.
Speaker 2: Are on South Congress. It's just tucked in there is the W Hotel on there.
Speaker 4: Uh No, no Hotel van Zantce on there though.
Speaker 2: Huh. I gotta tell a quick funny story about the W Hotel.
Speaker 1: So my buddy Marlin came into towd He lives in Dallas, and I don't know why we thought this was a good idea, but we went to We each got a room at the W Hotel for the weekend because we're going to be out partying and stuff and running around going crazy.
Speaker 2: We're gonna use the pool and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: This was a while back for you then, Oh god, this was fifteen twenty years ago. Okay, maybe when they first built a w yeaheah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but this was back when I was drinking.
Speaker 2: So it's been Yeah, it's been a long time.
Speaker 1: And we check in and Marlin checks in first, and they tell him, they're like, well, congratulations, mister mcmacon, you are our visitor.
Speaker 2: Of the day.
Speaker 4: God, he's the worst.
Speaker 1: Marlon without batting an eye, what do I get? Oh? Nothing, You're just our visitor. But what do you mean, I don't get anything nothing. You just said I'm visitor of the day. Well no, no, no, would not let it go, and so we we let we think it's over.
Speaker 2: I think it's over.
Speaker 1: We check into our rooms, we go down to the pool, we're hanging out. All of a sudden, we're sitting in one of the chase lounges. Marlin sits up, cocktail in his hand. He goes, I've got it. Come on, I go what He goes, I'm gonna tell him what I want.
Speaker 2: For being guess.
Speaker 1: So we go back in there, right back to the check in, to the same girl standing next jim bathing suit, flip flops, t shirts on, towels slung over our shoulder. He goes back, He goes, remember me, and she goes, yes, you're our guest of the day.
Speaker 2: He goes, I know what I want.
Speaker 1: She didn't to think about that, right, she didn't say things about it. She goes, oh, she's kind of being nice. They're very nice. What do you want? He goes, twenty four hours of pornography porn at free porn in my room. I want the next twenty four hours of free pornography in my room.
Speaker 4: What did they do?
Speaker 1: She said, we'll take care of it. As soon as he said it, I walked away, but I could hear her say, we'll take care of that.
Speaker 5: They're probably still talking about that guy at the devil to Day.
Speaker 3: This is the reason they no longer declare a guest the guest of the day.
Speaker 4: Right, he ruined it.
Speaker 2: I mean it was an hour and a half later. I've got it. I know what I want to be the.
Speaker 4: Day that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Are there any more on this of cool pools?
Speaker 3: Yep, I got Hotel van Zant any of these places. I don't think I am either the Line Austin or looking Ladybird Lake Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I always, yeah, I always see that pool. People at that pool because it's right off the trail.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, day passes there and god, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 5: I talked to my wife about this. Last summer we took a trip to Cabo and we stayed at a really nice place. We hadn't been on a vacation in a long time, so we splurged. And it was the side of the newer to develop side of Cabo where you know, you don't you can't get in the ocean. You know, waves are just crashing on the beach and uh, it's not even safe to swim or even go wait in it. So so we're spending all the time at the hotel, the restaurants on site and the pool. Yeah, and we spent all this money to get there and the time to get there. And I was like, we could have done this at home. We could have gotten a really nice hotel, yeah, with really nice restaurants near it, downtown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just.
Speaker 5: Hang out at the pool and drink you know, foofye drinks all day.
Speaker 4: Yep, I go, this is this could be done at home.
Speaker 2: You just don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, That's what that would have been a response, Right, you just don't get it.
Speaker 4: Not the same.
Speaker 2: You just don't get it.
Speaker 1: You don't have people coming by all the time going you want to see the ark?
Speaker 2: Man, you want to go to the arc? You want to go to the arc. That's my memory of Cabo Go. Somebody always selling you something. Someone want to take me on the boat to the arc?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can see if I'm right here.
Speaker 1: Right here, I'm good, good to go. You want to take me fishing? That's a different story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know I should bring that up, so if she wants to do it, Like, we're so busy right now getting my daughter moved, but that'd be a nice treat after that, a little staycation.
Speaker 1: And you might if you go to the w you might be guests of the day.
Speaker 2: You and I know get well, that was from yesterday morning.
Speaker 1: The JB and Sandy Hour starts at seven this morning, or stream the podcast whenever you want. Search JB and Sandy on iHeartRadio apps one O three.
Speaker 5: One Austin dot com.
Speaker 1: Caro, don't care coming up in just sec don't forget text us friends. We love hearing from you. Seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred. Be patient with my responses. I try my best to get back to everybody. It might take me a day or two, all right. Trisha's not allowed near the text machine because she didn't take the online continuing education, so she's banned from the text machine.
Speaker 3: Yet you would get faster responses if Sandy would let me near the text machine, but he won't.
Speaker 1: I may just have you print them out then bring them to me. That would be best, all right. I want to respond seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred.
Speaker 2: Wobbler arm all the way down, Trician Care.
Speaker 1: Don't care to know what a woman in the UK whose name is Gwyneth what she wants for her one hundred and second birthday.
Speaker 4: I do care.
Speaker 1: All she wanted was a birthday on her birthday was a stripper. So the retirement home made it happen. They got her a stripper for Huh, Yeah they did, so that's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Why does it make it feel weird like to picture Granny with the stripper? Like I feel like it would make me feel the same way it did whenever Betty White said dirty things.
Speaker 1: I think it's something that one hundred and two year old has been bottled up for a long long time and finally has had a point in their life. Like I don't care what anybody thinks, right, which is a great place to be. Yes, we just don't care. So good for you, Good for you. They say she got a little wilder in her older age. They they touch the dimension says it changed her personality a little bit, all right, Tricia Carrey, don't care to know what. Some of the popular responses were to the question asked the Internet of what's the cheapest hobby someone could get into a cheap hobby.
Speaker 4: Cheap hobby, sure, I care, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: You got to be old to do this. Bird watching. I hope to god I never ever, ever, ever am a birdwise.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the memes out there? Apparently just happens one day.
Speaker 2: Yes, my friend, my friend Brock told me that, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just one day you don't care anything about birds.
Speaker 3: In the next day you're all buying bird seed and feeders and setting up your binoculars.
Speaker 1: Look, honey, a Southern Plains metal arc just other really cheap hobbies to get into. Chess are a board game, okay, Geo Cashing did that with our daughter when she was young. What that is is it's an app on your phone and there's little hidden treasures all around you that you don't know that they're there, and then you navigate to those and find them. And I should have been bad at the century for doing that, because I hate looking for things.
Speaker 3: Right, it was your idea to do it, yeah, it was just it was something fun to do outdoors with our daughter, right when she was much much younger.
Speaker 1: And finally, on the answers, the responses to the question what's the cheapest hobby someone can get into cooking?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You gost me a lot of money when I go buy all the stuff and I try the recipe and that it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some things you've done that you were going to put in the rotation that haven't made it back yet.
Speaker 3: The short rip thing, yeah, you those were so difficult to make, and you wanted him in the rotation as I probably not, probably not gonna have.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was one of my successful recipes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two hearts, which are few and far between, so few and far between. Two hearts really encourage Treasure to not cook. It's not great for anybody when I do, unless it's like cookies are cakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're good at that.
Speaker 1: Finally, do you know the reason that this band, the Violent Femmes, the reason they broke up was Windy's. The restaurant used their song Blister in the Sun in an ad Okay in two thousand and seven. The members of the band got a huge fight about it, one saying no, the rest saying yes, and they wounded up suing each other about whether or not Wendy should have been allowed to use that song in their ad, and that ended the band. The reason I say that so gen X to do is because that's that was the mentality back then is you didn't sell out right, and they sold out right, and some of them didn't want to sell out and they did.
Speaker 3: Clearly the ones were like, if we're getting paid, they can have it, right.
Speaker 4: And then there are the other ones who were looking it for the music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'll tell you this much, they probably didn't have a whole lot more hits in them.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying. The violent fims were kind of a flash in.
Speaker 4: The pan, really were they.
Speaker 2: They were like, they had some good songs, but that was about it.
Speaker 3: And they never got back together, right, Nope, they hate each other, still hate each other. Wendy's broken down.
Speaker 1: They broke him down, that's care. Don't care.