Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome back to Game Best Mornings with Me Jeff Grubb, your host from giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Be talking more about getting more of the Witcher three and twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: And no, it's not a typo. I didn't mean Witcher four.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be this. Graphics cards are at the perfect place to be playing the Witcher three.
Speaker 1: You want to go back, let's just keep going backwards. Everything's going that way. We have lex Lettie on this show. That's how you know it's gonna be a gooding Lexi, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing okay, I'm very tired. Turns out me too. Turns out when you fuckers take the website independent, a lot of people want to contribute to your guest Game of the Year listen, more.
Speaker 2: So than other years. Yeah, I got to ask.
Speaker 1: Like ten people and that we meant to ask, and it's like even then it would have been oh boy, that would have been quite fit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so me and Marino edited a lot of stuff and a little behind the scenes look at things. The image library hasn't hasn't come over from the old website. So when we were cmssing all that, we had to find new images.
Speaker 1: And that was a good thing overall that that image library didn't come over.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of.
Speaker 1: Fun stuff in there that, yeah's not necessarily a Serve Giant bomb in any way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I was also thinking about that was that was probably a shed pool, and so yeah, me and Marino were also spent a lot of time building up the backbone of an image library with images for pretty much like every game that came out in twenty twenty six or twenty twenty five, because honestly, I'm like, those are wild spreading games, and we wound up you know, almost it felt like almost every game that came out this year. Goanna mentioned in one of the lists. If you haven't led the lists, go wead the lists. I mentioned Drive Club in mind because I'm sick.
Speaker 2: Drive clubs have is it having a moment? It feels like I keep hearing about.
Speaker 3: Drive Club is drive Club was taken offline and it is like in a semi function. I stay, it's the PS four one, right.
Speaker 1: I think what happened is people like have been getting it running really well in the emulators, and so that's where it's having its moment, is I'm trying to rescue it over there.
Speaker 3: I know, me and John Linneman are like the two Drive Club Defend Defenders and that game has really cool like day night cycle stuff where it's baked lighting but it's done to like change as you drive through the level, and it's really dramatic. It's like shockingly good for what it is.
Speaker 1: I think Greg Sewart, who who submitted a list for us, he's also a drive Club sicco, although these days I think he's fully in on back on Grand Turismo. So look, you'll have your games you play him, Like, were you in like a Drive Club League?
Speaker 2: Like I know they had.
Speaker 3: Those, No, because all that stuff is gone now. They like like chucked all that out. And they also they sell of all the menus for like by the DLC. The DLC isn't for sale anymore, so you know, And speaking of that, do you want to know what The first game I played in twenty twenty six was please Anthem?
Speaker 2: Okay? Are you okay?
Speaker 3: No? Obviously, and that game's going offline forever in two weeks and.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that the guy maybe I reported here and forgot yeah, two weeks.
Speaker 3: And it's no longer for sale. They took it off for sale in August, and now it's going offline sometime late next week or early the week after.
Speaker 2: And but basically I think we're going to play that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. I need some people to play that with, because I'm not sure if you remember Anthem, but a large part of the structure of that game is once you get done the first couple of missions, they're like, go complete the trials that Didley fuck or whatever, and the trials that diddly fuck are just like your dailies. It's like, go do some dailies. But one of the daily dailies, right, yeah, one of the dailies that you have to do is revive three other javelins. And I can't find anyone else to revive, so I can't progress the story. I'm stuck. And so unless I squat up with people, I can't finish Anthem before it goes off live.
Speaker 1: I am a I'm good personal friends with the greatest of all Anthem defenders, A J.
Speaker 2: Manati, So maybe.
Speaker 1: I'll give him a ring and see if he wants to show us around one last time.
Speaker 2: An Anthem, you know, game promise.
Speaker 3: You yeah, say what you will about that game flying around. It's oh, yes, some good flying around they nail.
Speaker 1: And that's like that was the focus of that demo. I like was like, Okay, I'm fully on board with this. This is going to be massive, and it's like, oh, once you play it and you see all the other issue you know, specifically for BioWare in that moment, it was animation.
Speaker 3: Not what anyone wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and they just couldn't They couldn't like make their games feel alive. That was the problem with Andromeda because the frost Bite was the problem with this game. They just didn't have anybody at their studio that could get animations looking good, so they had to kind of make everything static. And like there was the cool dance club scenes for Mass Effect, and those are just nowhere to be seen in a game like this, and it.
Speaker 3: Just it is kind of wild that even after Andromeda and Anthem, they still were forced to use or chose to use frost Bite for Veil God. Like I like Veil God. I actually think it's a pretty remarkable game given the context it was made in. But like the fact that they were still using frost Bite when everything about those games is so clearly underpinned on Hey, the tech doesn't support the way we are trying to make games is wild. And I have a question for you though, before we get into stuff. How was Games Done Quick?
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, AJ, Mike, and me went to awesome Games Done Quick on day one yesterday. We got there right as like the Mario Sunshine run was ending.
Speaker 3: Oh you thank god you dodged the bullet.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: We kept ourselves safe and secure from that scourge. I look, I like Sunshine. I like when people run it. Especially that's where that game actually literally shines is as a speed run game. I yeah, it's great. It's nice to be able to just drive over to Pittsburgh, kind of a quick jaunt from Mike's house. I just drive over there. We all drive together. It's We're there in no time. Spent most of the day there, saw a bunch of cool runs, saw some cool people. Mike did actually finally beat me in Street Fighter third Strike.
Speaker 2: He told me at dinner. No videos, no, AJ might have it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure if he was recording, but I think it still doesn't qualify because Mike told me at dinner that he was looking up tips and he's like, oh, just play us for you and use the charge Hadoogan because it can use this people. And I gotta tell you, I was confused, all right.
Speaker 3: I wish yould get from the number one mythology speed on it.
Speaker 2: I know, yes, God, that was also fun.
Speaker 3: I that was very funny. I was sure that happened.
Speaker 1: And it was like they like must have gone back and saw it or something, because they'd have been a minute since we sent it in.
Speaker 2: And and then they added a little juice. They're like, oh, we got people from Giant Bomb here, and it's like, oh, thank you. That's that's real nice. All right.
Speaker 1: We should explain ourselves. This is Giant Bomb, a small team of video game dup. This is who do rely on your support because we are independent games media out here on our own doing this thing. We're going to be doing it in twenty twenty six. We're back. We're ready to get back to work. But the work happens because you all make it happen by going to giant bomb dot com, slash Joint and becoming a premium member. Thank you to everyone who has done that. Twenty twenty five was kind of a it was a roller coaster, it was you know. Honestly, it'll be remembered for me of the year where we got to save Giant Bomb and that only happens because of you. So again, thank you to everyone who has supported us. Thank you to everyone who will choose to support us in twenty twenty six. And if you're just here to watch, tell a friend we love you just the same. All right, As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help.
Speaker 2: Piece your gaming life back together.
Speaker 1: That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch, welcome, we can always You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with the aforementioned the Witcher three, which is reportedly getting a surprise new expansion this year.
Speaker 2: This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Polish noble securities analyst Mathouse Scharanowski. Listen, I'm sure I'm butchering that I did my best said last month that he was expecting the next paid add on DLC for the Witcher three to be released in May twenty twenty six, according to.
Speaker 2: A Polish website.
Speaker 1: The report follows similar claims from a Polish games insider Boris Nispilaksmilak is, I'm gonna say that one who said last year that the new content was secretly in development at fool's theory, the same studio currently remaking the Witcher one for CD project, and I like, you know, it's the basics here, there's some other stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Eurogamer has since followed up who with Nispilak who told it was? This information was verified by several independent sources. Okay, I gotta say when you lay it out like that, the studio that's redoing the Witcher one kind of also maybe getting used to working in the Witcher three creating content, and maybe that's all kind of serving the overall goal of making the Witcher like constantly relevant and having new stuff. All of that sounds plausible to me, how about.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, I suppose this stuff isn't unheard of. I think a lot of people are like, I've never heard of this. Borderlands two got a DLC right before Borderlands three released, which I'm not sure many people remember, and it's pretty okay. It's like going back to Borderlands two. It slots that in with that stuff, and you know, this isn't unheard of as a way to create like a bit of interest. In the case of Borderlands two, I'm not sure it worked because that game was so old feeling in a lot of ways, like it was a generation old. People had moved on to the PS four and were well into the PS four at that point. With the Witcher, I think like that game has kind of become evergreen on people's hard drives in a way where like they've done that next gen update, it still feels pretty new. Like my brother is in this house right now for Christmas playing The Witcher three for the first time, and he's like, yeah, this game is fucking awesome. So yeah, like that game, yeahs is very is like eminently playable right now, so I can totally sere getting DLC as to how it would tie into the Witcher For. I'm like super curious and at some point I should really reach out to uh Kean mar who's over there, who used to be a games journalist, who is now the head of Law and that sounds like a fun job just being in charge of the Witcher Law.
Speaker 1: You gotta have always the name the like low Keeper, right you're gonna have Yeah, yeah, cool, that's your job.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, I'm curious how they like actually work this into the Witcher For and like if it's how far out the Witcher for is based on that. I know they were talking some big tark elation in the year of like this thing's gonna come out in six years, all three of these games, the new trilogy.
Speaker 2: And it's like that never we know that never works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, CD CD Project Red have had enough delays for all of their games that like, I don't buy that for a second. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the reason that this is something that is happening is because you laid it out like the game are more like timeless than they've ever been, and the Witcher three is certainly and that that like, first it's on the other side of the line of delineation, where any game released after this point just feels like any game released after it as well. You know, Doom twenty sixteen and on is kind of the one the game game I always use, but Witcher three is certainly right there as well as a game that could just sell forever. We've seen it do that, and even like games that don't have the profile of Witcher three are doing similar things. I mean it's similar, like not exactly the same, but we'll talk about it in a little bit. Avatar got that new DLC and that's a year later. I guess that's a normal timeline, but it just for that feels like a game that is trying to capitalize on something else external and using DLC to do it. I don't think anyone was necessarily believing that that was going to make some huge difference, but it did because of the external circumstances. Beyond Good and Evil, Beyond Good and Evil two is supposedly still coming. So when they redid Beyond Good and Evil one hooks and to Beyond Good and Evil one, like this idea that, like Beyond Gonna Eople two is really going to come out one day so we'll have just some suggestions towards that second game. Again, not exactly the same, but it does feel like they're trying to, like when they have an opportunity, hook these games into one another in a more real way, and.
Speaker 3: Even one felt a bit more like manifesting than anything else.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But it's all kind of part of the same idea of like, we can use these things that we have at our disposal to kind of make people care more if we if we actually if we care more ourselves. And so I think that we'll probably see this kind of thing more frequently, And the Witcher series definitely feels like the one that could take a huge advantage of this sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So we'll see May twenty six.
Speaker 1: You know, that was going to be the time where we were getting a grand theft Auto six, so it's like that's not happening anymore. So yeah, I could see something like this popping up in that time frame pretty easily, all right, Metro Prime four devs say rebooting the game again was out of the question despite changing tastes. This is like more information as we get more details about what happened with this game.
Speaker 2: From Andy Robinson at VGC. Nintendo has said that.
Speaker 1: Rebooting Metroid Prime four development for a second time was considered out of the question, despite committing to an open world hub formula that faced changed player trends by the time it was completed. Metro Prime four Beyond was finally released for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switched to last month, after nearly a decade of development and a change of developer. The game received generally favorable reviews, but attracted some criticism for its support characters in desert Hub world, which some perceived as dated, and a new interview with Famitsu translated by Nintendo Everything, Metro Prime Force development team has discussed its lengthy production for the first time. According to the uncredited in interviewee Yond's formula came from an initial desire to implement open world features into the series. However, the interview suggests that by the time the game approach completion, the development team may have had some doubts about the direction it had set, but it considered further delays unrealistic given that Prime for was announced way back in twenty seventeen. Here's a quote, and then we'll start discussing it at the start of the project. Perhaps due to the influence of the legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, we saw a lot of comments on the internet saying we want to play an open world Metroid. The development team told Famitsu however, Metroid's core element of increasing the amount of explorable areas by unlocking powers is not very compatible with the freedom to go anywhere from the beginning of open worlds, and so they reconsidered and they kind of tried to edit it there. But yeah, this is I mean, I don't know if you play the game, if this feels like what happened here. I think I've said as much when I was talking about on the BombCast when we were first discussing it after it launched, And this.
Speaker 2: Feels like, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: What does this mean though, when like, you know what game you have, you put it out anyway understanding that the development team solve the problems with it, and are you going to give them another chance? I hope So it sounds like they might. But yeah, are you surprised by any of this?
Speaker 3: Where were they looking that they saw people saying we want to and will to make.
Speaker 1: This is a This is a fair point, Lexie. I'm sure those things were out there, I might have said, at some point I could see a developer being like Breath of the Wild moment for Metroid. I don't know if that means open world necessarily. Yeah, yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 3: I suppose it would be very unfair of me to say I think Veilguard is like an incredible achievement considering how troubled its development was, and then go really hard on Metroid Prime for considering how hard its development was. But I watched that ending. Yeah, boy, even out of context, even as someone who isn't really a Metroid fanho okay, it's real bad. It's it's a real bad ending for a video game, even without all the other stuff taken into context. And I'm one of those people who would traditionally say, like, I actually am not a huge fan of Metroid vaneers and getting lost in games, Like I just don't like the feeling of being lost. So it's just generally not a genre that clicks for me. And this seems like a version of that game that tries to cater towards those tastes exactly a little bit, But in the process of doing so, it does seem like they have lost they they've lost the trail on what they're they're actually like what people want from these games and what these games are about and the feelings that they are listed ish, So it just seems like Metroid Prime for goes much longer distances between feeling, you know, recreating the feeling of those first three games, and so, yeah, I don't know, it's a shame. I hope they get another chance. Retro is obviously like an incredibly talented studio, and it would be nice for them to be able to go back to developing some original stuff. Like when you think about it, they really haven't put out a lot of games in the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: And if you know, Gaming has had like constant interviews with former Retro people over the last couple of years that like documents ten to fifteen Retro projects that were pitched or pitched and improved and like got further further along and like they all got canceled. It's like, oh, there's and I'm sure that's normal for a studio working in this industry, but it's like for Retro it's notable because they did not have a lot of alternative releases.
Speaker 3: I suppose the big question now is like if this Metroid doesn't hit a Nintendo kind of goes, okay, well, we're not going to do Metroid for a bit. Are they going to give them back Donkey Kong? Because Donkey Kong seems to be Nintendo's new like thing of like, this is what we're putting forward front and center, and I don't know, they've moved away from the retro sensibilities in some ways with Donkey Kong. So does Retro go and make a new ip or work on something else?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they probably get back to pitching a bunch of stuff and hoping Nintendo kind of gets it, which is gonna be a rough spot because it seems like there's a lot of not not necessarily misalignment, because again it's probably a normal amount of of you know, misstarts for projects, but it's a tough process regardless, and they're gonna have to get back to that, and that's gonna be frustrated. I think the reality here, though, is Metro Prime four will sell kind of within parameters, and then Nintendo will kind of be in the situation where they're like, we let retro build the infrastructure to build a game like this, Why don't we let them do it one more time now that they have sort of everything in place, they have the relationships with the multiple external studios they use to build assets, they have, they done that day to day for years. Now, let's just use that one more time and see if we kind of can't get some of our like more money back by making a sequel, maybe clean up that ending that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: I know, it's worth noting that, like plenty of or first party hardware manufacturers do have studios where they're like, yeah, these are the guys who make really good looking games for us, and they push the check forward. You know, Sony has that with the Horizon folks, Xbox has that with like half of their stable, and you know, Nintendo could definitely look at the like Metro Prime four is just one of the best looking video games that last year. It doesn't matter if you were talking about life high end PCs or consoles or anything like all of it, and it is one of the best looking games of the year. And I think that they will definitely be like, we should lean into that technology base that they've built up because they have proven that, like even if the switch to isn't the most powerful bit of hardware. We can squeeze so much.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turns out that, you know, they don't just hire from local, but there's turns out there's a lot of people who live in Texas, a lot of artists, and there's a handful of places they can really go to work if they want to like stretch their legs in a sci fi setting.
Speaker 3: A lot of people who are good at making games on.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, right, yeah, there's and there's a ton of that in Texas as well. Like there's a huge industry there of people who are very technically minded Texas Instruments, is there. Yeah, And so of course there's people that kind of flock to these areas and retro hires them all up, and hopefully they can apply that to a game that isn't as maligned as this one was.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and let's come back and let's talk about the good news. You have too much money. Let's get rid of some more of it by raising the prices on everything. So that sound good to everyone. We'll talk about that right after this. If you want to skip out on these ads, we do put out ad free versions of the audio show and addre versions of the video show on gimebomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Go to slash Join to get those. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: A Hi dog, it's time to start the show.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to go? H yeah, dude, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: No, Grim, you look like you are in a den of iniquity right now.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means, and I don't know what you want. It's not like I have a home studio, Jan, Yes, you do.
Speaker 4: The computers that main Gear built for us have Nvidia g Force RTX chippoos in them, and with the Nvidia Studio drivers and in video broadcast, you can turn even your man cave into a professional studio. Using broadcasts, you can upgrade your webcams, microphones, and speakers, using the power of machine learning to take our shows, voice chats, and video conferences to the next level. You can use audio effects like noise removal.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I guess I have a fan on. Well, it's hot, I'm not gonna turn that off. Let me just hit this right here. Is that any better? Jan?
Speaker 4: Much better? We can clean up your shot with auto frame and video noise removal and grub. You can even make it look like you were paying attention using the eye contact tool.
Speaker 2: So I could still watch my stories.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes you can. Nvidia Broadcasts is a universal plugin that works with most live streaming, voice chat, and video conferencing apps. It's supported on any n Video, g Force ARTXGPU, and since I'm using the Nvidia Studio drivers, I'll get stable, optimized performance in Adobe Photoshop, Da Vinci resolved in all the other apps that I need to use to fix our mistakes in post you know what.
Speaker 1: Thank you to ban Gear and in Vidia for supplying our Invidia Studio PCs in Video broadcast, your AI powered home studio and video studio. The software advantage for all creators. Jan, I'm not even looking at the camera at all right.
Speaker 4: Now, Grub stop stop looking at me.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked at you forever. We are back. It's game Bess Mornings, Jeff Grub LEXI Luddy.
Speaker 1: Let's get back into the headlines here with a SEUs officially announces price hikes from January fifth, right before CS twenty twenty six. This is from Video Cards. They did get a correction. This was not an officially announced thing. This is an internal letter that got leaked. But the letter says everything's going to be more expensive, so we're gonna have to raise prices. They don't get into any specific models, but they do say that because of a combination of factors, mostly d Ram, but it's not just d Ram itself.
Speaker 3: All looking for the guy who did this, yep, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, they're just hey, we're going to raise prices, so expect the laptops, everything to get more expensive from a SUS and of course not just a SEUs.
Speaker 2: It's getting like apocalyptic.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that we were talking during the break, you said, it feels like something's over now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the salad days of affordable.
Speaker 1: Computing are done for now, Like we're on a break with that idea. And to that end, there's rumors that Nvidia, who announced recently that they're going to have a thirty percent reduction in the number of new GPUs that they're making, apparently reportedly bringing back the in Vidia thirty sixty, the RTX thirty sixty, which was the you know, the entry level. As if that's the entry level price, we kind of just accepted that, but the entry level from a couple generations ago, generations ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so.
Speaker 1: You just built a PC, A lot of people are planning to do so, and hearing this news, of course everyone now has to panic by which drives up prices even more. We see that Micron who close Crucial, which is their consumer facing memory and storage brand. They closed that recently. Micron's stock price has only shot up since then was going to anyhow, but shot up even more specifically because they did that. It feels like the whole system has broken when it comes to this, and what do we say, like you have to do this? I kind of feel like we should be saying that, like we should be saying to these companies, no, this is a utility.
Speaker 2: At this point public like owning your own computer.
Speaker 1: But beyond that, what choice do we have because we can't like say, hey, make it because we're gonna spend money on it, because clearly the only other option is for them to raise prices to the point where we can't afford it anymore. So what's gonna happen here?
Speaker 3: Over the holiday break? I've been off and on finally catching up on the outer worlds too. Do you know the setup for how the outer worlds gets to the point that it gets to it like it's ultra capitualism their version of so in their alternate universe, the president before Teddy Roosevelt isn't assassinated McKinley. McKinley isn't assassinated, all right, so Roosevelt never comes in and breaks up the monopolies.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah that sounds bad.
Speaker 3: Yea right, And now I'm gonna just looking at the world and like, man, we're just like six years behind them.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, exactly, we just someone the right person. It didn't happen and we got Reagan. Yeah, or it did happen and we got Reagan.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: Uh and uh it's so it's still basically exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: You're right, just fifty years.
Speaker 3: We're just running a little bit late for the album wholes Is Timeline and I have pulled up Steams Hardware survey that they do at the end of every year in December. Do you want to hazard a guess? And some of these stats have actually changed since I looked at them earlier in December, And do you want to guess what the most popular video card is currently?
Speaker 2: Is it? I'm going to say it's probably the thirty sixty.
Speaker 3: With two point two percent of all of users using it. It is the thirty sixty. The second most popular is the forty sixty Laptop Edition with one point four percent. Then, like, you don't see a forty series. You don't see a forty series until you're out of the top ten.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was looking for a fifty series. You don't see a fifty series until you are out of the top fifteen, and that's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like they really struggle to like make the forty series compelling. It's kind of what I remember feeling. And then so you know, that's all part of the storyline here of we're like, hey, we want to care about these things, but the stuff you're putting your efforts into are not that exciting to us consumers. And they're like, well, it's exciting the aibros.
Speaker 2: Why aren't you excited like they are. We'll just go sell it to them.
Speaker 1: And now we're here having to deal with the like, you know, they're selling into a fad, they're selling into a boom and a gold you know, a sort of a gold chase here, and again that's always going to be impossible for the normal consumer who has a normal relationship with computing to compete with and the real problem here is the monopolies, because we should not be having to compete with billionaire corporations for the same resources. We should have a cordoned off part of the market that is meant to serve us, and then that that coordin should be put in place by regulation.
Speaker 3: Bob, have you just considered not being part of this society that you seem to dislike so much.
Speaker 1: I did just get a new computer for my job for free, and so I should not be able to criticize any of this.
Speaker 2: This is a good point.
Speaker 3: And do you want to know what the most common RAM allotment is? At thirty three percent Steam users have this amount of RAM?
Speaker 2: Is it okay? This amount of RAM? Is it eight gigabyte?
Speaker 3: Do they suppoify like it is a gigabyte? Yeah, they don't specify the type, but it's a gigabyte. And I've been because I've now built a PC, I've been browsing a lot of the Steam Store more recently, and I was looking at a lot of twenty twenty six games and the number of games with twenty twenty six ruten on them that in their minimum specs say that they support eight gigabytes of RAM. Is near zero unless you're in like the indie game scene, like pretty much no Triple A games are supporting that.
Speaker 1: It kind of culls its snuck up on people like that because there was, like the common wisdom five years ago was you don't need more than eight gigabytes, look sixteen, you should get sixteen gigabytes, but you don't need eight gigabytes. And if you're going to spend your money, the place to spend your money is get the best video card you could possibly get.
Speaker 2: That was the common wisdom.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people kind of like took that a little bit too much and like, well, we'll save money on RAM and we'll get the best video card we can get. And then like overnight one day we woke up and it was like eight gigabytes is insane. You cannot have a system on that you need at least sixteen And really we're getting to a point where thirty two is kind of recommended at this point, and that will I kind of like catching up the people who have not upgraded their system in the last five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should say this all seems very in the weeds. If you are if you're you know, if you're normal if you're watching yeah, if you're watching this, but PC gaming is at this point about like as big as console gaming, and thirty three percent of the market not being able to run new games isn't great for the traditional type of Triple A games that a lot of people watching the show care about. And it isn't great for those companies if a third of your biggest pillars can't play those games. And so, yeah, this is going to become a very real problem in some very real ways.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's what does it mean for the consoles right because we're talking about going back to the thirty sixty on the PC side of things, because making new GPUs is a non starter.
Speaker 2: PS six is not that far away, and there's a couple of.
Speaker 1: Things there, and I think I'm going to make a video about this at some point.
Speaker 2: I intend to.
Speaker 1: But like Mike said on the show the other day, to me, no one wants to hear about the PS six right now, but.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have.
Speaker 1: They're gonna get to a point where like just they need the PS six for a variety of reasons, one of them being like piracy is starting to kind of creep up on the PS five a little bit, they're going to want to reset the clock on that, just like all these companies want to.
Speaker 2: And how do you.
Speaker 1: Market a PS six? Like, first of all, it's going to be very similar to the PS five. The one glaring difference, LEXI might be it might cost fifty percent more one hundred percent more. Like it's going to be significantly more expensive to play a lot of stuff that looks very similar to what you're already playing on your PS five.
Speaker 2: So how does Sony position that?
Speaker 1: Like it's going to be a difficult thing to pull off, And really the answer might be we're going to be waiting a lot longer, which might be I might be fine with Like, again, I don't even know if I want to hear about a PS six in any way right now?
Speaker 2: How about you? So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's like the internal or the skullll bush in and around the PC industry is it seems like this is a hard reset for what the expectations of the length of a generation is. Generations became like a year max for video cards, and so now people are like, no, you're going to see people use these video cards for way longer, and you're gonna see people spend a lot less time. I think a lot of developers just started throwing power at optimization and just assuming that people would have more powerful PCs, because for a large part people kind of were the growing market was in people upgrading their PCs, And so I think you're going to see a lot of like developers now have to casher two things like optimization in a very real sense, and you know whether that winds up being a kind of good thing in some ways where you know, the best looking games always come out at the end of a generation of a console, if we start to see that in the PC space, but moreover, like you're the first thing you're going to see in this is a huge swath of people who would be interested in this hobby being priced out of it forever and never being able to get into it, never being able to try it, never even being able to like check out fucking Fortnite. Like that's where we're at, is the barrier to entry to Fortnite is going to become too expensive because owning a phone that can run it will become too expensive, and like it's shit, is really really shit, and it isn't good for the industry, and like obviously things need to change I don't know what else to tell you, but like things need to change in a rather radical way.
Speaker 1: And the reality is, it's like this is the set of circumstances. Feels like it's going to solidify things even more because what is going to run on everything? What is going to be able to work on the PS four you still have, and it's going to be these live service games and the single player narrative.
Speaker 2: Any sort of game.
Speaker 1: That's not one of these live service games that has relied on big, flashy visuals to sort of stand out from the crowd. I mean, that's gonna stagnate immediately because they already are in a situation where everyone's always on one up in each other. And then the only real way to get more is to spend more money, and that means your product's gonna have a smaller profit margin, and you're gonna have a lot more risk, and there's gonna be a lot of people who are already price averse, who have been priced out of this market in the first place, so you just can have a smaller audience. It's so you don't even make those games anymore. You go and you also try to make a live service game that can run on anything, So it's yeah, it feels really grim. And I think a lot of conversations we've been having over the last year or two have kind of ended with us saying it feels pretty grim, but this is this feels like something has to break so we can get on the other side of it.
Speaker 3: Just to put into context what I was saying about, like Triple A Games Resident eval Requiem currently as a Steam page, its minimum system requirements is sixteen gigs arom. Yeah, so thirty three percent to Steam players won't be able to run Residieval Requiem.
Speaker 2: What is it say for GPU and does it have like v RAM.
Speaker 3: It's GPU is a minimum is a sixteen sixty and it's recommended as a twenty sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you know, I think like even beyond system ram, v RAM, which I'm certain like that's only eight gigabytes is the most common entry for that. That is like getting to a point where ten gigabytes is kind of the minimum. Really twelve gigabytes and most cards that come out in any sort of affordable at any sort of affordable price, it's all eight gigabytes right now still, and it's like that's going to get even worse in this next year, because anything above eight gigabyte is going to drive the prices way up, and they're going to put all those into the much higher end GPUs and sell those at a huge profit margin. I look, again, it has to break so we get on the other side of it.
Speaker 2: But I really don't know what it looks like.
Speaker 1: And it feels like maybe the answer is everybody scales back, everybody sort of takes a breath and uses this as a crisis moment to rethink, like what a new video game even needs to be. But that's going to I think the answer to that question might disinterest a lot of these big corporations that make these kinds of games, so they just walk away at a certain point.
Speaker 2: And again, maybe we're better off without them. I don't know. Uh, Okay, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Avatar Frontiers of Pandora got a major player count boost after Fire and Ash. This is from Chris Compendio at GameSpot. Over two years after its release, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora is enjoying an all time peak on Steam, likely in large part due to the game's new DLC that ties in directly to the film franchise's latest installment. Data from steambe showed that the Ubisoft published open world game hit a record peak of fifteen thousand players this week, again from its previous week of twelve thousand players last month. When Avatar, Fire and Ash hit cinemas on December nineteenth. With the release of the movie, came a DLC expansion two Frontiers of Pandora on the same day, titled From the Ashes. The story expansion adds a bunch. Yeah, this worked. I think had I had a hunch, it probably would be okay. But it seems like it did really well for them. It didn't like change the fake like they didn't have eighty thousand concurrent players right like some brand new games do. But I think this is a strategy that can work for these movies or these games that have these external events that happen that can tie themselves into or have any sort of cultural cachet, which I know there's an argument Avatar doesn't have that, but it has enough for a corporation to cash in on it. I'm mostly okay with this. Avatar Frontiers of Pandora as a game that I thought was pretty good, and I like the idea of instead of trying to force a sequel out or rush another game, or just abandon what you have, make a little.
Speaker 2: DLC that sort of ties into it. It seems like a smart idea to me. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I've heard really good things about the story in that Avatar game that you know. I know a lot of people, especially with Avatar three, and have been pointing to like, Okay, the White Savior stuff is getting a bit much.
Speaker 2: Again, kind of long in the two and.
Speaker 3: The games very much. So go out of their way to like push back on a lot of that stuff and make the Navvy the protagonist, which I think is a pretty cool way to go about things. And yeah, that game it looks really nice. I've heard it plays pretty good. And so yeah, like this seems like it's working for them.
Speaker 2: Yep, let's go right along here to the next story. Here.
Speaker 1: Xbox just set a terrible new record. Talk about eye catching headlines. This is from Ethan gottch Xbox There it is the game business is. Chris Dring reports that twenty twenty five was quote comfortably the worst year on record for Xbox console sales in the UK. They were down nearly forty percent from the year prior, which was already far from stellar. I'm not sure how to square Microsoft's seemingly complete abdication of hardware sales less than five years into the current generation with its promise to continue making consoles in the future. Yeah, I dring post that and asks like, is there a chance things can improve.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty six?
Speaker 1: So, LEXI, do things improve for Xbox in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Is there any reason to think that they could? No? Right, even if like Grand Theft.
Speaker 1: Auto six comes out at this point, right, like everyone around any person that's like considering I need new hardware to play Grand Theft Auto six, everyone knows, Like I'm not talking about just our our audience. The people that listen to this show and have these conversations, I think they ask anyone, Hey, what should I get? Everyone's well, well, Mike, Xbox seems kind of dead. Just get a PlayStation. I think that is a common wisdom at this point. And so it's not even Grand Theft Auto six doesn't feel like it'll make a dent.
Speaker 3: I genuinely like Xbox feels more like a peripheral company now of like people buying. So when I was in Japan. There was an Xbox section in one of the stores that we went to, and they're always tiny compared to everyone else, and all of them, bar none, didn't stock any physical games. All they stocked was keyboards and Xbox controllers that were PC and Xbox supported. That's all they had. And like that whole section was basically just like, hey, you should check out PC game Pass, like just ads for like you should check out PC Game Pass ultimateh And Yeah, I think that that's being reflected back in the sentiment towards Xbox. I don't know what do you What do you think twenty twenty six could possibly hold for Xbox, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think that there's a chance they have some good video games like they did last year.
Speaker 3: They had some good game they had some Yeah, they're some good games last year. Yeah, and nobody played them because they didn't put any money into marketing them. Like there was no marketing around Keeper. There was no marketing around the outer worlds too. There was a little bit around South of Midnight and avowed pretty much. The only Xbox thing that got marketing last year was Call of Judy Black Ops seven, and it sold worse than ever before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, the next Call of Duty product does a little bit better. That makes them happy over there, I guess. But like as far as we're concerned, as far as we care.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm excited for Boots on the Ground Action of course.
Speaker 2: Uh you know that Forts of Games that's supposed to come out this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they have a showcase on in like a week, that's right, They have a January showcase, so like we will know more about what Xbox is getting up to this year, and I'm sure Fords Haison will do quite well for them. But outside of that, you know it, do you think that they at Fort Huison his day and date PS five?
Speaker 1: I think it's like a month later, I know, like three months later at the most, Like if they release Sports the Horizon six, so where.
Speaker 2: We're at five seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and six six, they released that in the summer, and then they can put it on the PlayStation five for the holiday that doesn't sound too wrong and like and put it out in the summer data summer on Xbox because what does it fucking matter. You're gonna sell that thing on game Pass for the most part of people are gonna get it on game Pass and then you sell it for real you know, on PC at the same time, but then and it does really well there, then you know, you sell it again into.
Speaker 2: Holiday for PlayStation. Yeah, I could see that happening.
Speaker 1: Uh so, yeah, like I think that they are going to be in a situation where they need to sort of just recognize the home runs when they have them, if they if they get any in terms of games doing well, and what that means for the console, who at this point doesn't feel like it means anything. It's completely separate from that. And so yeah, we get some good games, that'll be great.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that gob When you were trying to figure out what thought so they were on chat very helpfully wanted you to know that they're on six seven.
Speaker 2: Six seven.
Speaker 1: I my daughter made a holiday card for me, and it's dressed. It's addressed to not dad, to six seven. So that's that's where we're at in my life.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: No, that's upsetting, that's just hey, I'm six seven now, all right, I've accepted it.
Speaker 2: Everyone else should as well.
Speaker 1: Nintendo switched to dev kits Dedicate availability has largely been resolved. This is from my Nintendo News but Nathan Hate is out there saying this. That's definitely the sense I've gotten as well. There was like some delays in like Call of Duty, like the Call of Duty studios getting their Switch development kits, But it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Like like super delayed.
Speaker 1: It was just delayed enough to cause some problems with the like the most recent release or something like that, according to Nathan Hate, And uh, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think what happened there is they were holding them back.
Speaker 1: They were probably holding them back just a tiny bit longer for any Xbox related company and studio because I think they're like, that's weird to give our unreleased hardware to a company that makes hardware because they're Nintendo and they're traditional. But that obviously doesn't matter once the system is out, and so yeah, this sounds like, okay, all these studios should have this now, and we're on the other side of that. Nintendo's a little bit weird, but they're not so weird that they would continue that on for no good reason. Well into the release of the Switch to Switch to support has been mostly I think respectable, but it's not like equal to the other consoles yet. And in this world now where the Xbox is less relevant and PlayStation is what it is. It's continuing to be exactly what it's been. I bet a lot of studios and publishers are like, maybe we should be paying more attention and can air stuff on switch To, and it's capable enough that we could justify doing that for our new releases. Even so, I expect support from third parties for switch to to even improve, even if we don't get like every sports game for example, what do you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah it. I think the problem that they're going to face is the quality of ports, because that seems very inconsistent right now. I know that like Star Wars Outlaws and Assassin's Creed Shadows are kind of the high water mark of ports. To switch to are people being like, yeah, these are really fucking good ports, But then you have stuff like that too, mader re release of the definitive edition of the twenty thirteen game, and they're like, in some ways this is like worse than the PS three version in places, and you know, that just seems like it shouldn't be happening. So yeah, I do wonder if that is simply companies trying to get to grips with the new hardware and if it's going to take them a while to get it up and running and stuff like that. But we do know that like the switch can output some really good looking games like Cyberpunk runs really well on it, and like I said, the Assassin's Creed game runs super well on it, so like it is capable of running these games quite well.
Speaker 2: M All right, let's see here.
Speaker 1: Microsoft CEO Satia Nadella really wants you to stop calling AI slop in twenty twenty six, and he's asking very.
Speaker 2: Nice, honey, ah babe, it's just embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't and grab the story from Luke Plunkett Aftermathew, I think does a pretty decent job of like breaking this down.
Speaker 2: In a late December blog.
Speaker 1: Post titled looking Ahead to twenty twenty six, Microsoft CEO Satia Nadella wrote down some thoughts on how he and his.
Speaker 2: Company should approach the year ahead spoilers.
Speaker 1: It's almost entirely about AI, and it has some of the most unhinged stuff I've ever seen someone with a supposedly reputable job ever post on the internet. He begins with an opening that sounds like a man who knows the game is up, but who is in too deep to back out now. As I reflect on the past year and look toward the one ahead, there's no question twenty twenty six will be a pivotal year for AI. Yes, another one, but this moment feels different in a few notable ways. The passage that has attracted the most attention over the past week, though, is the one below where he says everyone needs to move on and move past the idea of AI being slop, a sentiment gathering so much momentum among normal human beings that it was crowned twenty twenty five's.
Speaker 2: Word of the Year by was it Merriam Webster.
Speaker 1: Here's the next piece of the letter, a new concept that evolves bicycles for the mind, such that we always think of AI as a scaffolding for human potential versus a substitute.
Speaker 2: What matters is not the.
Speaker 1: Power of any given model, but how people choose to apply it to achieve their goals. We need to get beyond the arguments of slop versus sophistication and develop a new equilibrium in terms of our theory of the mind that accounts for humans being equipped with these new cognitive amplifier tools. As we relate to each other. This is the product design question we need to debate and answer. And look, I think what I would say to Saddie is, baby, you don't see oil executives talking this way. They just go by the President and have them invade Venezuela for them. They just do all the shit behind closed doors. They don't have to convince anyone in the public of anything. They just do all their business the way they've always done it, and they go home with their riches and they win every time. Why are you embarrassing yourself by going out here and telling everyone to love AI when clearly many many people do not.
Speaker 2: Sure, a lot of.
Speaker 1: People don't care. A lot of people it doesn't affect them one way or the other. But a lot of people seem to just hate it. It's ruining things that they love and they've noticed. And you telling us to just love it, or to get past any criticisms, or get past a obvious criticism that is striking a chord is just embarrassing.
Speaker 2: This does feel like the game is up and he knows it. What's your response to to this?
Speaker 3: My response.
Speaker 2: Probably think discord ate some of that, but there's no yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, man, this is your Old Gill and the Simpsons, and he's like the wolf's at Old Gill's door. This is like that, but like you're not rooting for Old Gill. You hope the wolf fucking eats Old Gill and like destroys him and everything that he stands for and everything that he's built, because he's ruined everything. Yeah, my sympathies for Sai and Nodella feeling like people aren't respecting his plagiarism machines enough doesn't go super far. And you know, I think that this is Robert a lot of the time. You say, like, don't voting with your waalash is a misnomer because it doesn't work, and in staid you should get loud. This is what that looks like. This is him getting visibly wiled up and obsession in his end of year leisure, being like people are being mean to me on the interneth and like, this is the reaction that you want to get from these people is you want them to know that what they're doing is fucking hated, because even though they don't feel shame, they certainly feel pressure. And if you apply enough pressure then eventually things will break. So, yeah, if you have been loud about AI and about not liking it. Keep doing that, keep being loud, keep telling people how much it fucking sucks. And the Clear Obscure team have like gone out there and said, like, yeah, we used it when we were like workshopping stuff and some of it made it into the game, and we're never using it again because we don't like the reception that it gosh, because people were so hard on us for it, and like the tide on this stuff does turn if you continue to push hard on it. It just takes a while. I think a lot of people who use the Internet a lot kind of forget how slowly some things have to move because so much of the Internet is like instant reactionary. But a lot of these campaigns take long, long term pressure in a way that you don't usually see with the Internet, and usually it's short term pressure. Campaigns change things quickly. With the Internet. Stuff that is like big and societal and has these big companies throwing around billions of dollars and really does require months and months and months of fish and of like fucking bullying, Like keep bullying them, because it's working.
Speaker 2: It's you know, I would like even if it doesn't like fully work.
Speaker 1: Like I'm not going to tell people to fall into incrementalism or anything like that, but like you could still like damn the river, you could damn the banks a little bit. And I think we should just be happy with a couple of wins here and there, the Clear Obscure team saying that is a small win, and it's like that only works because of the public response. So take that and put it in your pocket and be happy and try to get another win.
Speaker 2: I don't know we can defeat this machine.
Speaker 1: I think the machine has to be broken and dismantled and removed, and like we're not going to actually be able to do that by just getting loud.
Speaker 2: A lot more will have to happen there.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get loud, and it doesn't mean we should resort to playing their game of capitalism in voting with our wallet, because the votes aren't real if you do that, and there's a bigger voter over there with billions of dollars voting on AI constantly right now, and you are not even find all your PC parts. And when when you get loud about that over there, sure if they pull up their chair and they go home. But that doesn't mean they were going to do that no matter why, whether you got loud or not.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I hope that the.
Speaker 1: People continue to take these wins because they are the small ones are just as important because that's what we're going to get for now. So we'll see and when this thing does break, and uh, and it will in one way or another, whether I don't know if it will break permanently, but when it does break, there will be a moment where there will be an opportunity where people can put in safeguards and put in rails. And that's only going to happen if there is a movement there. There's still political energy, and that'll happen if people are still getting out there and yelling about it. All right, let's do a last headline here, which is just a RESTful trails to David Rosen, who was a Segas co founder and a pioneer of arcade gaming in Japan. He was an airman who was like looking for a career after the military and started like buying and selling coin out machines in Japan and eventually sort of like realized arcades were a good opportunity to expand that business, and I'm sure like glazing over a lot of the parts of that story that really matter.
Speaker 2: But that's, you know, always been the story I've heard.
Speaker 1: About David Rosen and he was ninety five long life in kind of a lot of huge history there, and it's always like a fun little trivia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did you know Sega was co.
Speaker 1: Founded by an American kind of a weird thing, and David Rosen was that American.
Speaker 3: All right, And before we wrap up, we should also say, because there was no game, mess over the breaks and peace to vincem Pella, answers to his family and you know everyone at that studio.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just a tragic event. Yeah, so real, Yeah, it was tragic.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's see here we have no poll question from last time, because we knew we were going to be off for a long time. There will be I'll update the Bomb twelve everybody from last Friday.
Speaker 2: We did one over Christmas, We have one from the new year.
Speaker 1: But that means the voting will begin for this week's Bomb twelve today, so check out giant bomb dot com sometime today for that. So in the meantime, what we'll do here is, let's see let's do the new pole question. Have you played Avatar Frontiers at Pandora?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Kind of just curious in like the raw.
Speaker 1: Numbers of people listening to this who have played that game, because it's you know, I'm sure a lot of people are just picking it up now, but I want to see, like how many people have actually played it overall and maybe comparing contrast to some other stuff. We'll we'll get the results of that poll and talk about it on Game mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb on Wednesday tomorrow, we'll have the BombCast.
Speaker 2: We're going to get back ato everything this week.
Speaker 1: We're also going to start delivering some stuff here from the bomba don because it's twenty twenty six now, so a lot of stuff happening over here.
Speaker 2: Again, thank you everybody for joining us for the year.
Speaker 1: Let's make it a good one, all right, Lexi, Where can people find you on the internet? What do you have going on and all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Yes, you can find me on blue Sky at lex dot lexload dot xyz. A bunch of really cool stuff has gone up on something menu dot co dot UK. We had our annual website wide Game of the Year Awards where we handed out a lot of different awards and we for the first year ever voted on a on a website wide award and you'll never guess what one. And yeah, you should also check out all of the lists on giant Bomb because they're all great. As someone who edited every single one of them, they are all fantastic. And if you see a typo in them, know you didn't.
Speaker 2: Yep, you just look the other way.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see what else we have going on a Giant Bomb. I don't know if we're missed in today. You know, we just came back. I gotta let go talk to everybody in a meeting and see what we're all thinking. But we'll let you know and we'll see what's gonna happen here today, tomorrow, for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the week, for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Thank you again, everybody once again for hanging out with us, Thank you for watching and listening. Thanks you Lexi for hanging out with me and talk about video games. Until next time, everybody, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.