Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three of Parol. The views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Webber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber. Every year the day after Labor Day, I have my reoccurring nightmare. It's the final day of college. I get a call from the dean's office informing me on one credit short and I can't graduate with the class. Wakes me right up, But it's perfect timing for back to school. Just maybe something to do with me failing kiddio literature in my senior year at college and having to go to summer school. Who knew Alice in Wonderland has deep meaning and significance mentioning summer. I always remember finally the summer ending. It was sad, but I was excited about the new school year. A new book bag, new clothes, new people I didn't dislike humans, then new subjects. Fast forward these years later, I'm devastated this summer's ending. Along the way, I learned new lessons when summer ends, gone on the white pants for everyone, Just not me. I've already added to my closet new black pants, black cargo pants to be exact. Which I'll wear with a light sweater, black sweater. Or I'm gonna wear with a sport coat with black swede boots in a black sweater. Very cool look. Yes, when I was little, I'm thinking about new clothes or changing the pale. This whole thing is still exciting. New is new In the fashion luxury world, back to school always represented a huge spike in business. You go to the stores Abercami packed, American Eagle, Pack, Gap packed, even the off price guys TJ Max. This time of year boom time, mid tier department stores, Coal's and Macy's. Even luxury back to school shopping huge. A tip TiO retailers out there. Put the salespeople in place, get the registers manned it's September, It's back to school. Everyone will change their clothes now. Not to be left out, this is not the only thing that changed. The world changed when I first started the radio showing podcasts are excited for the September show. I remember September. I called it out as the super Bowl for the fashion and luxury industry. I pointed out that everyone in media was lined up for Men's Fashion Week September. That's still happening, but the world of media, particularly fashion media, has changed. The September issue of Vogue was huge. I started one show by dropping the magazine on my desk in the studio. The sound was so loud it was like dropping a brick off the Empire State Building. Nine hundred pages of new ads, new photos, new models, new statements. And every other magazine competed for the role of super Bowl leader. Harper's, Bizarre, Cosmopolitan, l Vanity Fair, Men's, it was GQ and Esquire, every brand, every designer fighting for position upfront in the magazines Vogue, who did win the advertising super Bowl every year? That was September. But I have to say there are no more magazines. I love presenting my new marketing campaigns to the company into the board. I loved even more seeing everyone else's Today magazines do not exist. This is a loss to the digital world. Consumers are losing these visuals, and that impact hurts. I miss magazines. I miss commercials that aren't about pharmaceuticals with stories that make me nauseous. I can't take those commercials. I'd like to see some fashion commercials back on TV. I miss fashion, but back to school. Yes, September is the beginning of fall in luxury fashion to jump into new business, a palette cleansing at exciting time. Now when it comes to work, I do not miss working. I do not miss doing. I do not miss the human contact. I do not miss the pressure of the field. I don't even miss the pay. What I do miss is I used to be important, particularly this time of year. Now, thank god, my sons are. I get to live the excitement with them. Now. What a switch. But I suppose that's the natural state of things in terms of missing I do miss the perks of being important, particularly in September. My front row box at the US Open, my front row box at the Yankees, my front row at Donna, Karen Calvin Klein or vtone runway shows DK why run my shows? I miss visiting stores anywhere in the world knowing my pictures are in the back. So if I show up, they know who I am. It's great for the ego. I'm allowed. No, there is a feeling when you're recognized for your position on a job well done. It's prices. We are identified by what we do. Hi, I'm Mark Webber. What do you do? Not everything? But it matters all this and more. I think about each September, the week after Labor Day in fashion known as back to school. So much has changed in the world. Think about politics. Election Day used to be a day. It's now election weeks. It's election weeks away till we have the answers. Now I know COVID forced mail in ballots. Can I ask why are we still doing them? We were all supposed to sign up and go to the ballot box. I should point out in fashion that last week I mentioned in the US Men's Open that I didn't like tank tops in and I thought they were a deterioration at the US Open. But I was wrong. I look now, for the rest of the two weeks I plowed all the fashion I've seen, it's exciting. It's same for the women, powerful women playing sports, standing their ground in fashion. Wimbledon my favorite. It's all white has its place, It's all pomp and circumstances. But I did call it out and I wanted to correct my pisions. I love Amazon. I bought their stock, but when shopping comes, whenever I need something, I know they have it, from toothpaste to car mats. Fashion not so much I do miss looking around or all the stores are closing or have closed. I recognize the importance of brands and designers who put their names above their doors and stand for who they are. It's one thing to see Polo and Macy's and another to be at the Mansion on seventy second Street. But while I'm mad at seeing Polo in Woodbury Commons, the large outlet store gives me a feeling of happiness knowing that the outlet industry, factory direct retail, is alive and well for so many global brands. I grew up in that industry as well and was always proud to have my name over the doors. Calvin Klein, Donna Karen Dky, Ezard van Usen, Yeah, the world is changing. Brands are found anywhere and everywhere. I think that's good as long as the quality retains its integrity good word integrity. We need integrity. For instance, in pricing, I don't want to buy a venues in White Dressers and Macy's for twenty five dollars and they get home and find it at nineteen ninety nine at Amazon. We can't become an industry of doubt. Value is important, so is understanding what you pay for. Using that example, a twenty five dollars white van Us and shirt may be the exact shirt that you'll find in Amazon or in an outlet center at Woodbury for nineteen ninety nine. But remember Macy's goes on sale quite often and they are also in nineteen ninety nine, so you have to know how to shop and win to shop. But even Mornportant I mentioned Woodbury commons the outlet center. You invest time to drive to Woodbury. Your time has value, so does the price of gas. In fact, the manufacturer in this case fan User is selling you directly without a middleman, and that allows them the ability to discount the price to you at nineteen ninety nine or even less. So everyone's happy you get a great shirt at a great price, you respect it for your willingness to invest your time, and everyone financially benefits. Yet the world has changed, probably for the better. I think, probably for the better, I hope. But it is September, a huge month of change. Election is around the corner. I do want a change in government, whoever can deliver it. I want an office. This is no popularity contest for me. I want less crime. I want legal borders documenting the good guys from the bad guys. I want less woke. I want more common sense. I want international strength. It's dangerous out there. Russia is a serious player that needs to reason with. China is too big, too successful to be ignored. The Middle East can blow up at any time and needs a strong hand. Who is best to navigate our country? I want less inflation and cheaper gas. I want cheaper everything, and please someone as I hope for change. Bring us together. All of us can agree to disagree and in the end appreciating differing opinions, recognizing each other's point of view, and be a united country. Oh hey, Mark, you have a phone call. A phone call? Okay, what's up? Who's on? Is Mark? Weber always in fashion.
Speaker 3: This is Jesse Weber calling in from Jesse.
Speaker 2: So where are you? So?
Speaker 3: What did you say before you said you don't miss working. I think miss working because I'm on vacation. I'm on vacation in Italy right now.
Speaker 2: Which part of Italy?
Speaker 3: So I was in the lake Como region and now Rome and I have a problem. I don't think I'm coming home. I think I'm from now on. I'm going to do this show with you with the six hour time difference, because whatever we're doing in America, we're not doing it right.
Speaker 2: I think I need to stay here, hang out with George Clooney.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I saw his villa. We took a boat tour and we saw his villa, and his villa is beautiful. It's gorgeous. It's big, but surprisingly it's not the biggest villa in Lake Como. It's not even the night villa.
Speaker 2: Well, he voted a long time ago, and there are a lot of rich people in the world.
Speaker 3: But I take it. I take it in a heartbeat.
Speaker 4: But it's that's in a magical place.
Speaker 3: My gosh, you've been to lake Como, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have. I've been to everywhere in Italy, I guess, but you know I never told you this that when I went to Rome, I was so taken aback with Rome. I was on a business trip. I said, you know, I'm changing my name to Mark do Roma. And whenever I would write in telex is a text, I would sign them de Roma. And to this day, my closest friend Stewart, if you ever hear him talk to me, he calls me Doroma. And it stems back from the early days of my travels to Rome.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that that was what it was from. I knew that that was your nickname.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the way I signed all my telexis and emails and everything. Doroma, Marco Doroma. Where are you now? You're in Rome.
Speaker 3: I'm in Rome. And you know it's interesting today I visited the sistein Chapel, Vatican City, Saint Peter's Silica. We had been there, you and I fifteen years ago when you were on a business trip and you brought me. And you know what's remarkable, it's all the same, nothing now.
Speaker 2: Five hundred years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fifteen years. It hasn't changed. When reality, this thing has been here for like five hundred.
Speaker 2: And six hundred years amazing, amazing, history is incredible.
Speaker 3: I missed have me on the trip, but it's great here.
Speaker 2: That's what your wife is for, that's true. How are the clones?
Speaker 3: I don't want to miss The clothes are great. I bought Nyvy swayed Low first, not from a department store, not from a big store that but one of the local stores, the boutique Italian stores. They fit me like a glove. They're amazing. The quality here is incredible.
Speaker 2: How's the food too good?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to lull me back in the United States. But it's actually I'm not really gaining weight, which is so interesting because all the ingredients are so fresh. I ate a whole pizza to myself yesterday and pasta that night, and I haven't really gained weight.
Speaker 2: You buy me anything.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to buy you something. I know your shoe size. I'm trying to buy you the shoes that might look good on you. But you're a tough sell. I can't get anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't worry about getting anything from me. And in this case, everything you bought me this year for Father's Day, my birthday, I returned.
Speaker 3: Exactly by the way. Did you ever wear what I bought you from Greece for my honeymoon?
Speaker 2: No, but it was a beautiful shirt. I just don't wear colors. It's a gorgeous shirt.
Speaker 3: You're impossible to lie. I'll buy you a magnet. You can put her on your refrigerator.
Speaker 2: Look, if it's not black or white, I don't wear it. Sometimes tan if it's really special. But you know, I don't need anything. I have everything. Really, I don't need anything. But thank you for thinking of me.
Speaker 3: And no, of course, no, it's it's great. I'll be home soon. But I didn't want to miss always in fashion despite the time difference. How's been handling the show without me?
Speaker 2: You know, it's I'm getting used to it. You never hear You're always busy. Now you're on vacation. I know, like doing it alone. I prefer you have you. I'm really excited that you called in. This is great.
Speaker 3: If I can't make it into the studio, maybe this is another way I can.
Speaker 2: Maybe who's going to win for president?
Speaker 3: I mean it's looking like Kamala Harris because that she is the darling of the media, and she's the darling of the left. Even though there's some serious question marks in terms of what she's about, who she is. You still don't even really know. She hasn't done a full interview by herself. She has the debate coming up with Donald Trump. If that doesn't get canceled, I think that that's going to be a pivotal point in this election. That could be a real big problem for her.
Speaker 2: Well, she's changing the policy. She's into fracking in Pennsylvania. Now she's into building a border wall for seven hundred million dollars. All of a sudden, she's sounding like, oh, and she's going to non tax tips, which was tums idea. So she's doing a lot of flip flopping right now.
Speaker 3: I get it. I get it. But you've said it best before. There's such a hatred of Donald Trump. And also I've said it before, he's his own worst enemy. So if he doesn't do the minimum of what he needs to do at the debate, this could be her election. If he really just starts with the vendettas and the gripes and he doesn't focus specifics, and he maybe is a little too ugly in his attacks against Kamala Harris, he's going to lose and he'll blame everybody else, but in the end it would be his own fault.
Speaker 2: Did you feel the American election at all? In Italy? The people wear mega hats. Are they talking about her in their country? They don't care.
Speaker 4: Other than a store that sells little toy ducks that has a Donald Trump duck like of duck and the version of Donald Trump, there is absolutely no mention of American politics.
Speaker 2: Interesting. It just goes to show you we're will follow.
Speaker 3: My wife and I were walking and we were outside of i think some government building in Rome, and there's a bunch of reporters and I think they were interviewing some politician and we're in the background. So somewhere we are on Italian television and it's this very big important politician, government officials being interviewed in alien and irons.
Speaker 2: So being that you're becoming famous, did anybody recognize you?
Speaker 3: So funny you should say that we had a tour guide for the Vatican and it was raining today. So I'm wearing a hat and she picks us up and we go in the car and I take my hat off. She does a double takes and she goes, oh my goodness, I didn't realize who you are. She goes, I used to watch you all the time on Long Crime, the Alec Murack trial, and I was like, oh my gosh, thousands of miles away, somebody knows me. It was incredible. She was a big fan.
Speaker 2: My son, Jesse. This is hysterical. All right, listen, it's late there. I'm gonna let you go. Thank you for calling in. Of course, listen in on the weekend. Back to school, that's what we're talking about. Now. Gives me the creeps, going back to school summer ending. But we'll say, I got some things to talk about.
Speaker 3: I'm trying not to think about it because I'm still on vacation. But I love you and have a great show without me, all right.
Speaker 2: Be wellme regard to Steve the wife, so long. God's the Haley With that as a backdrop, what a nice surprise. We'll take a break tonight. It's back to school.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion.
Speaker 2: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagefeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of shit comes to America through car Lagofel Paris. He has women's collections men's collections ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches I wear in premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofil collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that, I for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it, and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbags and the shoes. I for one wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I'm wanna look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carlagofel is my buddy. Cals are great, They fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld Paris at Macy's Orcarlagafel dot com. A favorite brand has always been ISOD. My company at one time bought that brand. The CEO of the company handed it to me and said, you better make it work. And I put everything in my career to make ISOD work, and I fell in love with that brand, and to this day it is one of the most exciting endeavors I've ever got involved with. Isod is an incredibly strong golf brand. If you play golf, if you play tennis for that matter, they make a great polo shirts. I mean great, They're fit perfect. The material is unique because it's a PK fabric that waffle weave you see, and it's made of a blend of cotton and microfiber that allows you to stretch. And very often they are treated with solar protection as well, so they stretch, they're comfortable, and they breathe well. And one thing about Isaac, they always fit. They'll never tug on you. You put it in your waist, they'll fit you great. The colors, patterns are sensational. Now I will also tell you Isaac makes great shorts and great golf pants. You're a golfer and you want to look good. You don't have to think about how do I look. You want to think about how you play, not how you feel. Isaad is the brand for you. I know I was there when it was created. The strategy behind that brand is brilliant. It's one of my my favorite brands. While I talk about it, I should tell you about the men's sportswear. ISOD wasn't enough being a golf brand. It wasn't enough being just great polo shirts with logos, without logos, incredible branded story and history. ISOD makes salt weather programs. They have great printed woven shirts, short sleeves that look excellent with colors, excellent with shorts, excellent with cotton pants of which they also make this whole salt order relaxed line from ISO, whether it be fleece, cotton sweaters, knit polos, woven shirts and pants of a range of colors and fabrics that are perfect for a guy wants to go casually in the spring and summer of this year. And here's the thing, ISOD is affordable. Everyone listening to me talk about this brand can afford to buy it and know that there are a lot of other brands that also have a look like ISID. Although I don't believe it's fun as eyeside is. The brand has a lot of energy in it, but at the price points no one can compete. You can find isyesa at your leading retails and online at isid dot com. Talk to you later, guys. I wish you are very happy spring in summer, and I help you by telling you if you were ISESID, you're going to look great.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it always in fashion, here's your host, Mark webber.
Speaker 2: Tonight, I'm thinking about September. It's back to school term we use in the fashion industry to I guess call out the fact that this is the time of year that everyone goes back to school dates back to when you had to buy all those kids and rewardrobe everything. But everyone else ends the summer, starts to fall, thinks about their new wardrobe, thinks about what they're going to do with themselves for the rest of their life. Because everyone gets a chance to reboot and be whoever you want to be. We get a little more serious because when out on the beach, so it's back to school and lot going on. That's some things I wanted to talk about. The first of all is James Carville, the political pundit that you see on the Democratic TV. James Carvill interesting guys, unusual looking guy, but extraordinarily smart, and I always liked him. In fact, in fact, one of my most important speeches when I received the American Image Awards Man of the Year award, I used to quote from him, and it was I was talking about the industry and how thankful I was to be, and I said, I get paid for my heart, but I throw in my head for free. And it became a thing with me. I liked it and I really felt good, and it came from James Carville. Anyway, the other night I saw him being interviewed on Hannity, and even though he's from the left, he's always been fair politically. When he was interviewed with Hannity, he was asked about the border, and he said he agreed that the Biden administration and the old Democratic Party did not handle the border properly, that we had a problem, it needed to be fixed, that we had the wall, it was in good shape, and it was a mistake the way they handled it. But then when they got into the economy, he slanted the truth. And it really really bothered me because I know how smart he is, and he said Biden inherited a horrible economy and he fixed it. Let's be honest. Donald Trump, when he was president, in his first three years, built the strongest economy in the United States in fifty years. We were leading the world. Everyone was thriving, wages were going up, Unemployment was non existent, everyone was doing well, everyone was spending, everyone was happening. His policies worked, and then COVID COVID, we closed the country. How could the economy do well? The whole business world was shut down. People were locked in their homes. So, of course, by the time Biden became president and the country opened up, there was a boom time in the United States. There was pent up demand. People were excited to get out of the house, they were excited to go out and eat, they were excited to go anywhere. And Biden inherited this demand. There's an extraordinary time. Can't give Biden credit for that. If he inherited the worst, he inherited this demand also. So when I listened to James Carville, I was very disappointed. Come on, James Carvill, We're in enough trouble without you putting spin anyway. Politics aside, It's back to school. I want to talk about business. I want to talk about all the brands in my industry. I've been shopping a lot, going in stores looking what's going on. Tell you the truth, I'm unimpressed. First of all, it's mostly spring merchandise in the stores. They haven't transitioned to fall quickly enough, and I don't know what's go going on. It's September. People don't need short sleeve shirts. People want sweaters. They want to see what's new. I'm looking at these stores and I'm wondering who's who, What's what I often think about, and I talk about the difference between Asia, Europe and here. The big companies in Asia, like here, very often were started by families. There was a Toyomenka family or a Toyota family. There are people who built these companies and the Asians in general, I spent a lot of time in Hong Kong and China. These are entrepreneurs who started companies with a goal that they would build something and pass it on to the next generation, who'd pass it on to the next generation, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And you would be working with the second, third, or fourth generation of entrepreneurs in a family. And therefore they were always worried about legacy. Each succeeding family CEO or president to hand off their healthy company to their son or daughter and on and on, and that's what they cared about. So they were making decisions for the long term and making decisions based on what was best for the business, and I had to applaud them for that. In the European sector, when I got to luxury, I learned a lot about luxury companies. They were all about strategy, all about identifying what a brand represents. If I asked you what created Hermez, I don't know if you would realize that Hermez were really people that built saddles and bridles for horses. So when you see them, there's always leather, there's always accessories that have something to deal with the horse, to stir up some of the other intricacies of horse riding. But Hermez was built on coach building, whereas my friends at VITONE were built on travel and luggage, and while they both expanded their businesses dramatically, they never forgot what their legacy was and how they would continue the luxury business. My friends at lv I learned never put merchandise on sale. They're all about strategy, and the strategy at LV Louis Vuton is that when someone invests in one of the handbags, the value of it will never go down, and therefore they made determinations never to have sales in louisviutone merchandise. So they watch their inventories very closely, and if in fact they have a problem, their inclination, if they don't give their own workers a chance to buy it, is to destroy it rather than to have sales, but the key to their longevity was positioning it forever understanding. No matter what they do, they had to understand the DNA, never veer from it, build upon it, but never forget what they represent and stay true to themselves. Man of them be it. You know, it's interesting. My favorite luxury story is not about luxury, it's about Costco. I'll never forget. I was at dk and Y, which was owned by elvim Age, Leuviton, Mobo Hennessy, and I was selling Costco. I was selling them jeans. Jeans was the entry into DKNY that the least expensive, most successible product to anywhere in the world for DKY or Donna Karen was the Genes. They were twenty five to thirty five dollars at the time, and when you look at DKY and Donna Karen, you know Donna was making dressers that could be ten thousand dollars. So the entry into luxury was through Genes and Costco had a huge interest and we had a great, great jeans team at the time. There were two women who ran the DKY jeans business, Christa and Gale, both consummate professionals, and we built a nice business. Thirty million dollar business. One day, I get a call from someone in corporate. Why are you selling Costco? I said, because they pay us a lot of money. We make a lot of money. The merchandise comes in on pallets, they put it out on a table. In three weeks it's gone. Nobody remembers it was there except when they see it. They want the brand and that customer will pay for it, and it was an extraordinary business. They said, well, we don't want you selling Costco anymore. We don't think it's right for the brand. And I said, can I remind you that one of the largest companies within the group is wine and Spirits, and the largest user of wine and champagne in the United States was Costco. Well that's different. We don't believe that your brand belongs in Costco. I said, you know, we're going to lose a lot of profit if we pull out of there, because it's a nice, clean business. We respect the customer, we respect the way the merchandise is handled. Are you sure. We're sure. We don't think it's in keeping with the brand at the time, so we pulled from Costco. They understood. They were upset. We had a relationship with them as a company because of wine and spirits, and we moved on a few months later, We're in our financial meetings in Paris in the boardroom and I share with them the results of the company. And I took a huge hit because we gave up the thirty million dollars in Costco. And I said, well, why'd you do that? And I said, because I was told to. And then they started whispering on the other side of the corporate table. And after looking at the results, they said to me, can you get it back? And I scratched my head. You know, it's June, we're having financial meetings. The big season is Christmas, in New Year's and a holiday. How are we going to do this? And I looked at christ and I looked at Gail, and I said, can we get it back? They said, we can try, and I saw it. These two women do something that was incredibly exciting. How they went back with their relationships and the right spin and we made an era and we want to be Costco forever. Blah blah blah. Whatever they sell, and we recreated the business and we pretty much picked up everything we lost. But generally speaking, I explained to you how European companies think, and how do we Americans think. We're more about survival. We're not about what the future is. We don't stand up long for what we believe in. We don't man up. We just do what the next quarter will say. And I'm very concerned about that. Now. There are some companies, of course. You look at Torry Birch and American Company. She's protecting her brand. You look at Ralph Lauren, he's protecting a brand. But by and large, most of the brands, and even designers to a degree, But most of the brands that are made in America. When I say made in American, I mean American origin, not necessarily manufactured, are playing games with their distribution. They're making decisions for the brand that may or may not be right. And a lot of these American people now are changing the future of our industry. They're changing what the brands represent. There's a lot of investment banking in the peril and luxury sector, and they're in it for one reason, the right reason, I think, to make money. But they're in and they're out. They buy companies, they pump them up, they sell them, and they move on. But companies are supposed to be there forever, they're supposed to last. To test the time and sometimes making financial decisions instead of long term strategic decisions doesn't work. So I am afraid of the future for our industry when I sit here and talk. Now, the good news is we all need clothes. So what is the future of our business? I can tell you all the luxury companies have their own retail stores. You see their names above their door. They have full control of their assortments and they're building a future. Then there are other brands that might not necessarily be luxury, but are doing the same things. You look at Lacoste their own doors, they name them of the doors. They have their own stores, look at guests, same thing. They have their own stores. They may also have shops within other department stores that they feel the right level of department store to sell the price points and to the customer who'd be interested in their brands. You walk into Bloomingdale's, it's a great store. It's a compilation of brands. I love Theory. They're one of my favorites. They always are in Bloomingdale's. They look good. They have their own shops. All Saints, which began as a great retail concept you could find wholestsale or in department stores. Bloomingdale's, Macy's looking great in their own image with their own stores. They're doing the right thing to protect the brand, but overall I'm worried about the future of the brand and the future of retail is omni channel. Now, if I asked most of you out there what is omni channel, you wouldn't realize what omni channel is and what omnichannel is is a combination of all the above with the added benefit of e commerce. There's no question buying online, sitting on your phone at home shopping is huge and is having a major impact on the results of retail stores alone. But I will tell you e commerce online shopping is retail. It's just in a ethereal store. It doesn't exist except online. My favorite story again is when I learned about omni channel goes back to Macy's, who, in myself, is one of my favorite stores in the world. I'm concerned their financial results have not been good. They just missed their numbers on the last quarter, and everyone's talking gloom and doom again and they have the hawks surrounding them looking to buy it and turn it into a real estate venture. And I need Macy's. We all need Macy's. Matter of fact, if I was Macy's, all my ads, I'd put it in whatever newspaper, whatever online availability is, even on TV, I would list the brands because that's what they are, and that's what i'd sell against because nobody else can do that. But Macy's omni channel goes back to I moved into a new house and my wife and I needed dishes China they call it, but dishes and where to buy them? And I went to Bloomingdale's. They had a nice assortment, and I went to various different stores. I even went to bed Beth and Beyond at the time didn't have a nice assortment. I went into Macy's and they had an incredible assortment. And at the time what really excited me was Martha Stewart. They had these beautiful white dishes and twenty different choices of shape and size. They were relatively inexpensive. But my wife wasn't with me, so I called her on the cell phone and I put it on FaceTime and I let see what I liked and whether she liked it, and she said, I love it. So that weekend we went to the Macy store in our neighborhood and there was a great woman working there, and she took us through and I showed her the video that I had taken the things. She liked. She took me into Martha's Stewart and she's plained, we got all of this for you. I said, how am I going to carry a setting for twelve of all the stuff? She says, You're not going to carry anything. We're going to send it all to your house. I said, how's that going to work? She said, well, first of all, we have five hundred stores, and we look at our five hundred stores as warehouses, not just stores where you can come in shop. We will get this plate or that plate, or this fork or that fork or whatever it is, the glass you want, we will go into our system, and if it takes five or ten different stores to put the assortment together, it's all going to be mailed to central locations and they in turn will ship them to you and you'll have full sets. And I have to tell you he worked exactly as she said it would. We got full service for twelve. It came in three different shipments from three different stores. But it came in perfectly. And that, my friends, is omni channel the inline experience in the store to look at it all, and then the shipment's coming from either the stores or from their warehouses for in commerce brilliantly. And that's the future of retail. When I worry about the future, back to school and this is such an important peak time, I know that we only need clothes, We eat on dishes, we wear shoes. Life will be fine as long as companies take care of themselves. Back in a minute, Always in Fashion spent a lifetime of my career building the van Usen brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now. Talking about suits, men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be worn on multiple occasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event. You wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself is as important does the product shoe package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venuesing invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. It's wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wicki. It makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing and I'm so excited that the van using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget venues and made its name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Ues in cool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny are online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them. D k and Why Donna Karen, New York. Donna Karen began a career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and to night. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends, and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karon collection. And Donna invented DKNY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Now we talk about lifestyle brands, what does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen decaann why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work, they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's Casual Clothes did that under the DK and Y label, a vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you going to soccer games for your children, or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever you want to do, dkn Y Jeans, dc HY sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. And I need to mention DKY active Wear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY active wear certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. DK why is nothing short of exceptional And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DK and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend. DCN Why you can find DKNHY and Macy's DKY dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: It's September, the summer's ending. I find very depressing the weather is starting to change, but it's still beautiful. But I grew up in the luxury fashion and retail world, and this is back to school. September is a huge month for cleansing palace, to starting anew to bringing in a whole new range of merchandise and starting life all over. This week, Men's Fashion Week, this week, the Men's Open this week, big for the baseball season. Everything is big and some but us back to school. And I started thinking about it, and I've been very interesting in shopping. And I talked before about some strategic ideas, and I remembered that in the companies that I work for, the strategy wasn't called I'm the channel back in the day, but we had multiple channels of distribution. We had our sales to department stores. We had sales to the off price market when we had surplus, but department stores and retailers. The stronger they got, the more powerful became, the more pressure they put on us in our ability to make money. First thing they did was find ways that we could bolster their margins, their profits versus our own. There's no secret to that. They make more, we make less. Then for their own survival, they determined. Each of these retailers, every single one of determined and got involved with what we call channel conflict, that they wanted their distribution of their store protected as the exclusive customer and purveyor of your product. So if you were Macy's and you had a good business with Calvin Klein, they didn't want you competing with them in Belk department stores. Macy's in North Carolina, well, they didn't want you to compete with Dillard's in Texas. These retailers determined that by having exclusivity they had a better future. Whether I agree with it or not, I was there when we realized we had to protect ourselves and the outlet business was starting to grow. These were stores that allowed the manufacture, the brand owner, the designer owner to sell directly to the consumer in a different channel of business. Two things are happening. One, you're getting first chance to buy surplus. It could be end of season, it could be a prior season. Doesn't make it bad merchandise. They just made too much. Some of it has got awful, ugly true. But black socks are black socks, white shirts are white shirts. Navy blazer and navy blazes, and on and on and on and on. Ralph Lauren Polo's filled with thousands of Polo shirts. They're not surplus, they're made for the store. So one thing is surplus. You get a chance to buy surplus at a great price because they need to get rid of it. Fashion is not like fine wine. It doesn't improve with age. The other is made for you're making products that you know the consumer wants. It could be a sweatshirt at Nike. It could bear golf shoes and Nike. It could be running shoes at Nike. For that matter. They make them for the store because they know how profitable the outlet store business will be. And without a middleman like a Mace's or a Dylid's or a TJ Max in between making their own product, they can afford to give you the disc it. And that's how outlet stores work. And all the products are tied to price points that they feel are reasonable and legitimate based on what you can find. Now, if you go to a Nike outlet, I don't think you'll find Jordan Nike. So manufacturers do cherry pick their assortments, but by and large, what they're doing is giving you a tremendous opportunity to see a full breath of a brand's assortment in products that you may or may not find elsewhere at always affordable, fair prices, and the fact that you're going to take time to get there, and the fact that you're going to spend money getting there, and you're going to give a day of your time shopping those malls. They give you great prices. So all said and done, this is what's on my mind. Back to school and take a break back in a moment. Always in fashion, then using, for over one hundred and fifty years now, has been a mainstay in American fashion. This brand that was invented for dress shirts was given to coal miners when they exited the mills dirty and dusty. The Phillips Venues and Company Phillips families there to give them fresh new shirts that they could wear at home and feel their best. Over the course of time, venues and dress shirts grew and grew and grew to suit shirts and ties for the dress up, but now sportswear has become a dominant part of the venues and collection. You can find these products including sweaters, polos, quarter zips, trousers, and even the best of fashion has to be preserved. I don't know if I ever mentioned to you the advent of the men's necktie. There's nothing better in the men's necktie business than the business lunch because guys we go out, they'd have their lunch, they have their salads or their beef and potatoes, and snow stout about it. They would always stain their tie. And therefore the business grew and grew venues. And today doesn't want to make money on your hardships. They want to do it and prevent you from having to go through that. And they invented stained shield. It's a technology that was invented to protect your favorite items. The Stainshield collection provides extreme defense again water based stains by causing spills to beat up before they can be absorbed into the fabric. This collection, by the way, in addition to regular fits, is also often in all body sizes, including big and tall. You can find vanues and Stainshield and the great venues in styled sports were at Vanuesen dot com. That's Vanusen dot com. As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, car Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of Watchers eyewear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofeld collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that, I for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention would make me feel good to wear Now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot Comparis. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes, I for one, wear men's clothes. Unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current, I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and carlago felt is my buddy. Calls are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagofel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafel, Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagofel dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: This is September. You ever realize that after the summer you're getting a new start at being whoever you are, whoever you are up to September, you could change. You can change the way you speak, to change your outlook on life. You could change the way you dress. You can change whatever it is to make a better you. In a fashion, luxury and retail business, we get a chance to change. One of the fascinating things about our industry is we're constantly changing. We're constantly reinventing ourselves. What other industry does it. Very few Apple makes one new phone a year. Car manufacturers make one model, they keep it for five or ten years. We are changing every minute. So September is a key pivotal point for change in industry, particularly ours. We get to think who we want to be and what we want to look like for that season, for the next few months, and it's an exciting time. The apparel luxury retail industry is staff with geniuses who could reinvent themselves and recome up with new ideas on a constant basis, whether it's color, style, opportunity fit, conceptually, we're a brilliant industry. September is the time for change, and we're about to change as well. We need to pick new leaders, whoever it is is new. Even our vice president will be new as a new leader. We know Trump, but he'd be new again. He hasn't been in office for four years. We have to make some right decisions. Got a lot of problems in this country. September is sprint time to election day. Please consider who you would think will make the best president. Not popularity counts. It's not historical, not this, not that Kamala Harris has her benefits, Trump has her benefits. They both have detriments. Let's make decisions based on what will make us a better country. That is a backdrop. It's back to school. Hope you enjoy tonight.