Speaker 1: Day Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio. While this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: You're Jagins aust Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 4: Arizona women's basketball regular season is over after following sixty one to fifty eight to Colorado in the Big Twelve Tournament.
Speaker 3: And they ended the season at nineteen and thirteen. And she still has hope. There's no hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the question they don't get in. Do they go to W and I Yeah, and they'll host a couple of games. You think they'll say yes today? I think they would because because of the fans.
Speaker 5: Because as much as as the fans, you know, whenever when the men's team the couple of times they got into the n and fans hated it, didn't go to the games, all that stuff, the women's fans are different. They just want to see them play and then and they're behind them.
Speaker 2: Well, here's another issue though, do you want to prolong if your idea or whomever prolong the season, uh, under the conditions that they're in.
Speaker 5: Well, I I again, it's it's a little different because of the overall expectations. I mean, yes, the expectation of this program, the women's program, is that they're you know, they get into the determined. So they had a great experience that the star they won the n I T. That's what that's where all this started. I think the fan base would get behind it, and I do. I do because just like they do with softball, Steve, they they just follow this team because of the team, not because.
Speaker 2: We'll see I would I would, You'll say yes, I would say no.
Speaker 5: I would say and I bet you they'd get five or six thousand at those games.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'll say no, I will see Okay you say no that they won't accept it.
Speaker 3: They won't accept it. They won't accept it. Oh, they'll definitely accept The question is if they get in, they won't get six thousand.
Speaker 5: Okay, That that I would be more inclined to possibly agree with. If they get invited to the n T they're going, is what I say.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I don't know what the money situation is.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 5: Because because Steve will play it as you know. Okay, we we didn't have a great season, but you know, we still got to get better.
Speaker 3: YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 5: You know, get Lauren Swan out there to get some more minutes, you know, stuff like that. You know, we it's an opportunity to get better, just just like playing in a minor bowl game, you know, like football. I like my answer. Okay, all right, the more that you talk, the more I like.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll stop talking.
Speaker 4: Number seven. Arizona Softball will begin conference play tonight again, you seef at Helen Brands Stadium at six people.
Speaker 3: I think that program. Holy crap, are they twenty one and two or something? Wanted to and not against just anybody?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had no idea. Some he said, yea, they're twenty one and two.
Speaker 5: I said, wait a minute, didn't they play Texas and Alabama?
Speaker 3: And like, yeah and two?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 3: Good for her.
Speaker 2: Now comes the nitty gritty. Yeah, but twenty one and two beats the alternative, right.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: One, they don't have to play Oklahoma because they're not in the league anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, a little to play U c l A.
Speaker 5: Right, who they got, you know who they got to play in the Texas and the big TWELP.
Speaker 3: They have Texas Tech where they get a million dollar pitcher. Yeah right.
Speaker 5: I mean there's still some good teams in the league, but it's not the it's not the Pac twelve and it's not the SEC.
Speaker 3: But you have to supple.
Speaker 2: No, that'd be fun I tried to go to a couple of games a year though, Yeah, that would be funny.
Speaker 3: Couple a couple of those, couple of baseball games. I try to get on all the time. Yeah, he's too busy because he's he.
Speaker 2: Is too busy one and two he's a consultant for the softball team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good for them. I I you know, I got to get out there and see them. It's hard to get tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna try to go to a lot of the game. Are doing this show now?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: College basketball this weekend, Number seven Alabama travels to number one Auburn, Number two Duke travels so un rank North Carolina, and number seventeen Michigan travels to number eight Michigan.
Speaker 3: Seat there's a lot of there's a lot of handful.
Speaker 5: It's a great time of the year. Yeah, and then and then the tournaments start next year.
Speaker 3: Next week. Yeah, I'm gonna miss next week.
Speaker 5: I'm already missing next week. I'm already missing the no PAC twelve tournament next week. We were talking about it at lunch yesterday or Wednesday. Just it's the reality of it, right is it's right there now. It's like I would be getting ready, you know, getting my stuff together, making sure I'm like closer, click and stuff to get ready to go to the.
Speaker 3: PAC twelve tournament on Tuesday, and it's not there.
Speaker 5: I mean, I get to work a regional, which is great, but that the fun of going to Vegas for the tournament and all that came with it.
Speaker 2: For you guys, for you guys, and I talk about this all the time, but for you guys specifically, you're there for thirteen fourteen hours, right oh yeah yeah, and you're probably on a Thursday or Friday. God, get me out of here because I want to go have fun or whatever, and you say I don't want to do this anymore, and then you come back, I can't.
Speaker 3: Wait to do I can't wait to do it again.
Speaker 5: The Wednesday and thursdays where there are four games each day, you know we'd get there, we'd get to the arena, at ten o'clock in the morning and leave at one o'clock in the morning the next morning. But yet, and we would be exhausted, and it would be a you know, just walking to our hotel room into our hotel across the street and just all of that. And you get to and you go, god, this is so hard. And then you get to Friday, and you've got kind of Friday off, you get the evening games, and Saturday you go when game me, You're right.
Speaker 3: Then Sunday morning you go home and say, I can't wait till next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and there's no yeah, yeah, I'm definitely definitely missing it.
Speaker 4: The Big Twelve will move ten games to Friday for the twenty twenty five football season, including the Arizona Arizona State Game, which will be on the day after Thanksgiving this.
Speaker 5: Year, and the Kansas State game. The Kansas State non conference game is going to be on a Friday night here as well.
Speaker 2: Don't you think, don't you think we really don't pay much attention to spring ball. This is a big important deal this year for spring ball.
Speaker 5: Well, they got they got to make some headway for sure, you know, but you know they're not going to have a spring game.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure. Well they didn't really have one. Yeah, exactly. It was a scrimmage.
Speaker 5: And and uh it sounds like they're planning something something else, something maybe a little more fan friendly to you know.
Speaker 3: Because they're born.
Speaker 5: They're born anyway, Yeah they are, you know, but I mean, you know, they're one the coaches have found have turned them into you know there there, there's scrimmages. They don't want anybody to get hurt, so many things. They don't have a game, and they haven't had a game in a long time. So I'm fine with that, but they do. They need to do some work. They got to do a lot of work and so yeah, but yeah, so the Kansas State game, I think it's it's in September, is a Friday night game.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's the year.
Speaker 5: I'm not happy about those because the tailgating is not fun. I don't know that well we even tailgate on those those games, and we guess we did last year the Friday which one it was a Friday night game Houston, We did, you know, but we basically we just went out there, put our chairs out there, and opened up our boxes of chicken in eate and then went to the game. It's not a not a typical tailgate, so that part. I missed the SU game up there on a Friday. Fine, I'm not going up there anyways.
Speaker 4: Brazil defeated Germany six to four at Keno Stadium last night to clinch the World Baseball Classic that takes place next year.
Speaker 3: Did you have fun? Did you What did you think? I think it was an enjoyable atmosphere. It was good baseball, but it was there for a few things. It was it was some sloppy plays in the beginning. Yeah, it dropped. The ball got better as the game went on.
Speaker 5: I'm attlebum night to get out to any of the games, although I did watch some of some of the games that we're on TV. You know, I found them on television. They were in the Major League Baseball at work.
Speaker 3: It was about I don't say two thousand.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, yeah, it was already. Yeah, it was alright, like the Mexican Baseball No, that's just the party.
Speaker 1: No, that was it was.
Speaker 2: It was a little cold last night, a little windy, but it was it was fine. Yeah, good, good for Blake. I watched some of them.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I saw the Germany team, and I'm like, they looked like baseball players.
Speaker 3: The Brazil, Brazil, all those guys. Did you see did you notice the field looked very good? Look good, look it looked like they keep they keep it in good shape.
Speaker 2: Well they redid it. Yeah, new scoreboard, new ground was a new scoreboard.
Speaker 3: I didn't how come I didn't see that. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Everything was kind of bright and colors. I was there for like my first any that I was there, and I said, oh, look what a little paint does here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, it was nice, good, good good. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Okay, what else anything else from you?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: We mentioned the Friday night games? Oh we Well, we were talking during the break about Stephen A. Smith gate in a twenty million dollars a year contract to blabber on the radio, I mean on the on ESPN, and how we feel like we should be making more than him, you know, more power to the guy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Did you did you see his confrontation with Lebron? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't. I didn't get the full effect, but I guess Lebron's mad at it because he was getting on Bronnie.
Speaker 4: Basically, there's a couple of weeks ago, you like said like lebron stop the act with Bronie.
Speaker 5: Well see, and that's the thing, it's that you used a perfect word act, because that's what these guys are, you know, Stephen Ah. I mentioned Pat McAfee, Colin Cowherd to a degree, uh what's his name? The dumbass which he was on Fox Skip Bayless. They're an act? Well right, they're an act and people want to pay. People want that act, and ESPN and Fox and those guys pay for the act.
Speaker 2: I particularly don't like the act. And that's where I was gonna go with this question. Okay, so you and I I don't. I've never really paid attention to Stephen a ll those guys because I just don't know who cares what they say. And I even said this in the show this week or yesterday. Maybe who listens to me? I mean, come on, who pay attention to me? Good luck with that?
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying, you don't. I don't. But what about the kids? The kids do they do?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: I don't know?
Speaker 3: They're just all over our social media? Yeah, but what is that if?
Speaker 2: If you're gonna get bad advice or just have someone yelling at you for no reason with the information? What what's the credibility? Why even listen? Because your son likes.
Speaker 3: Like, like what, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 3: I didn't bring them up that way. You fail.
Speaker 4: I think we can relate because back in high school, like you talk with your friends, like at lunch about like you get that serious with your friends, you start to ye about your favorite players.
Speaker 3: And I think that's how the younger generation can relate to that. Yeah, no, I hear you. I hear you, and I don't What does it solve? It doesn't. It's like entertainment. I guess I don't know. There it is.
Speaker 5: That's that's the thing there. It's entertainment for them to know. But it's like it's for the same reason I don't like going to the superhero movies, right because I don't get them.
Speaker 3: I don't understand them. They lose me in five minutes. Okay, we gotta call enlighten us. Who's this on the air?
Speaker 9: Here on the air, Hey Bud, it's directing.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 3: How are you? I'm well?
Speaker 9: Thank you little Nippy out here just for comment. You know why I don't like a lot of the sports talk shows they're so busy screaming at each other, nobody talks to each other anymore. Yeah, and I think when they get into this, you know, the adrenaline gets pumping and they want to, you know, flex their muscles about how smart they are. And the app sports enthusiastic probably knows as much about stuff as they do to a certain degree. No, we don't have the inside edition, but we're not stupid either. We can see things. We can we understand the basics, and we understand what good things are and when things that aren't so good are. And I'm tired of the Hollywood whining and crying about somebody doesn't like me and anyway, so keep it calm, talk to each other and talk to your audience and you're going to get a lot and you do a.
Speaker 3: Good job of that.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome home on eye on the ball, welcome home.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Well, have a good weekend, Jeff, thank you.
Speaker 3: Rick makes a good point.
Speaker 5: Okay, what I don't I guess what I don't like is they start yelling at you because they want you to know that.
Speaker 3: They're smarter than you. And I know we've been We've.
Speaker 5: Done this for a long time, right, do we know a lot more than than other fans. We know more because we go to press conferences and where are things that the average fan. We're getting information and then from that information we have conversation. Whereas these guys, you know, the stephen A's and the McAfee's, they feel I'm gonna yell at you because it hammers home how much smarter I am than you. And I don't like listening to that, and I don't. I mean, I make the choice. I don't listen to that. I now I have to listen to Pat McAfee on game day because I want to watch game day, but he's on there and he always starts the show by screaming, and I hate that part of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, one more last call before we got to go. Who's this you're on there?
Speaker 10: Hey, hello there, this is Bob Colin.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, love your show.
Speaker 10: You you asked if anybody ever if there's anybody anybody'd ever had triple digit numbers in the basketball game. February seventeenth, nineteen seventy three, the same year that Michale opened, ASU came down and played Arizona ASU one one hundred and ten to one hundred and five yeah. You know, we talked about it had thirty seven and Lennard Harris had eleven rebounds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the question was there were a couple of those in the Whack. Yeah, but not in not in the PAC ten PAC twelve years.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about more about other than ASU in other games because yeah, we we found that.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, there was that.
Speaker 3: There was a show, thank you, and we appreciated about. Okay, we gotta go, we go.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that on the other side. Okay, thanks, We're gonna call Kelly Pierce here on the other side of the bridge.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 12: Yuki Try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 13: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 12: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who.
Speaker 13: Know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 14: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 13: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 14: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you In twenty twenty four, recognize your employee, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 3: It's time to restock.
Speaker 15: Your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from.
Speaker 3: Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 15: For a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 16: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon a b K Ninez two nine to pour two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change.
Speaker 3: Don't notice? Did you know?
Speaker 17: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 3: And trading card games.
Speaker 18: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 15: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broad.
Speaker 3: Sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 6: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona House Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 19: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals ape The process that's flidlining is so important.
Speaker 3: Go to bybm dot com.
Speaker 12: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 13: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 12: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I want to take part in the show called Up Steve now went five to two oh four one seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're jakins Aus. Now on the phone. We have South Point Catholic Girls soccer coach Kelly Pierce.
Speaker 3: Kelly, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm good?
Speaker 20: How are you?
Speaker 3: We're doing fine? Thank you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: How was uh?
Speaker 3: It's been two years since we've spoken to you.
Speaker 10: How was Wait?
Speaker 2: Don't get ahead of me, don't get ahead of me. How was the year without us and I and the ball and two for you? Because you win championships all the time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, we took a year off. We'd share it with somebody else and I missed you guys for sure, but you know, happy to be back this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you last year, and let's put context to it. I think you finished second, right, you finished the runner up?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we were. We lost in the championship and it was the rough one for us.
Speaker 2: That said, did that kind of fuel the group to win this one?
Speaker 8: I think it definitely played a role for the girls that were returning, you know, they felt that and how awful it was, and we didn't play well that game and definitely not the better team that day. I think it was a little traumatic for all of us, excuse me, but played a little bit of a role. But also there's a lot of new girls we had also, So I just think every year it's different, it's a different group, it's a different mentality.
Speaker 7: And the end goal obviously is always you know, to get to that championship game.
Speaker 5: Kelly, is it I mean, is it become an expectation that you guys are everybody? Look, we know you go into a season, you want to win a championship. You know, you kind of feel your cans when you're a programmed like yours. But does it come to an expectation level to the point where I don't know, maybe there's pressure on the girls to achieve that, or how do you handle all of that, or what's it like around the team.
Speaker 8: Thinking about all that, well, I definitely think it's there's pressure from outside, you know, outside of our bubble, and I think a lot of people expect us to excuse me, sorry, I'm been fixed, so I keep coughing. But for us, we try not to put that on there. We do tell them, you know, pressure is the privilege that you even have, that this opportunity to be here and that we are capable of being there. But we try not to dwell too much on the past. And I'm sure, like I said, like the seniors have probably motivated them a little bit. And for me, of course, it's always motivating and I don't like to lose, especially like that, so a little bit fuel to the fire and just having the target on our back every single year, I think it's motivating for them, but it's definitely a mentality that we have to have and be locked in as a unit, you know, the entire time, and it's hard, it's not easy. It's definitely a challenge every.
Speaker 2: Year for you personally, because you've done and I teach about winning all the time, you put pressure on yourself.
Speaker 3: To do this.
Speaker 8: I probably do. I am a competitor in everything I do. I mean, day to day life.
Speaker 7: I compete with.
Speaker 8: Myself on ridiculous things.
Speaker 7: So I'm sure that's on there.
Speaker 8: Like I've always said, I hate losing more than I like winning. So I definitely think being successful with them and having these girls and seeing them in those moments drives me and fuels me so a little bit. Maybe, yeah, probably.
Speaker 5: So was there anything different about this team that did win the championship compared to last team that didn't? What was the extra thing that came together for you?
Speaker 3: You know that you know, help you put it together another championship season.
Speaker 8: You know, it's hard to compare the two just because it's two totally different groups and totally different teams. Obviously, we usually try to have the same mentality, but I think last year we didn't play our best, and unfortunately, I had that gut feeling going into the game where I just kind of sense it wasn't going to happen. And the same time, having three back to back, you know, in a row championship.
Speaker 7: I think it's good for us to have a lose.
Speaker 8: Every once in a while. I lost every once in a while. Getting that throat punch is awful, but it's also humbling and I opening, and I think.
Speaker 7: We learned from it.
Speaker 8: And I think the.
Speaker 7: Girls that were with us last year I got to return this year.
Speaker 8: I think between us, the coaching staff and them, we all.
Speaker 7: Learned a lesson from that.
Speaker 8: We don't really do a lot different. I just think it's a different team. We had probably the most talented team I think I've ever had was this year. But we're also really young, so trying to get them to walk in and buy into our process is always a challenge. But it's just totally different, you know, two different teams and different environment last year.
Speaker 2: I think, Wow, so you're young, expect of future success as well. Let's me s because we talked about this about an hour ago before we had you on the show. You've won four as a coach now and two as a as a as.
Speaker 5: A player, six as a coach and two at I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I had you don't take up.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's say it this way. You're making it hard to keep count. How's that that?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 5: There we go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, forgive me.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't think I've asked you this, and maybe I haven't. I had Wolf on yesterday because he's at five in a row, and that doesn't happen by accident. You know what, we all know Wolf and Wolf being a wolf, he's been here forever and done really successful. And I asked him this, what do you think your sect, your your secret sauce is because this doesn't happen by accident.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, Wolf is definitely in a league of his own, definitely a legend and somebody that I admire and I look up to, and he's been awesome and supportive of me. But I think, you know, I joked about it when you asked me the other day about that, like in the message, and I thought, you know, my mom did make her homemade Italian spaghetti sauce for us the night before, so maybe there's magic in there for the team. But you know, I think every year, like I said, it's just different. It's it's a matter of us getting these girls to lock in and bite into what we're selling and giving them the tools. And I can assure you it's not easy. They don't always bite into it. They probably don't believe half of what we're saying. But when they do, in those moments click and they look at you like, oh my god, You're like, yeah, we kind of know what we're talking about. Sometimes, but it's just, you know, it's getting this team mentality and getting them to trust each other, trust us as coaches, and just being committed, locked in, having accountability, and just you know, it's a tough several months, especially the season, our schedule, so it's just it's different. You can't approach every team the same. And I think we have learned to adapt with the times and this generation and this mentality it's a little bit more challenging over the years, so we I think we're learning as we go as well. But I think, you know, having these older girls that passed down this tradition to the younger girls, I think is really important that we try to create this good, healthy environment and culture, you know, from the top down.
Speaker 7: So that's just always the goal is to get them to lock in basically.
Speaker 5: Well, let's talk about that little bit because you talk about the you know, the the culture and the environment and all that, and Tucson Again, we keep talking about this because you know, you and Wolfgang and you know, you got Sunnyside and what they're doing over there. There's just a soccer culture in this town, isn't there.
Speaker 8: Yeah. It's really big actually, and I think it's bigger than people realizing that. I mean, I want to thank you guys for even paying attention to it. You know, you have Andy and Javier and Morales that are always keep an eye out, but you guys too, just I think having that visibility matter, So thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we try.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, do you You and Wolf two played in the Open Division?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How was that? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean at the beginning of the season, I'll be honest, like when we first saw it, I thought, oh my god, the schedule.
Speaker 7: You know, we have.
Speaker 8: Perry we have to steal and well we had them in the Open, but then we had Davier who went on to win the Open and who was, you know, probably the most deserved team to win it. In my opinion, I think they were by far the best team, so Initially it was dun team, like I said, and we kind of thought, like what are we in for here? We had no idea what to expect. But ultimately, I really think it helped us and I think we were successful because of that, because we had those challenges and we didn't have a bunch like I always call them cupcake games where we're beating a team eight to zero because no one's really benefiting from that or learning. So even in those moments, we lose and it's not fun. But I really think you know, the girls battled and they.
Speaker 7: Showed up and they played well against all of those top teams, including Castile.
Speaker 8: You know, we had them in the second round in the open and we lost two to one. But I mean our girls showed everything that was capable of the heart, the fashion, just.
Speaker 7: The work ethic and that commitment, that grit that we always talk about from tot point.
Speaker 8: So I think it did pay off. It was a little scary, but ultimately having those throw punches I think benefits you in the end.
Speaker 5: So so you you mentioned you have a very young team, So what number seven next year? I mean, talk to us a little bit about the team you have coming back next year, noure no treasure.
Speaker 8: We can all knock on wood. So I'm superstitious, you know. That's what they said. Right after We went like what about next year, and I was like, We're gonna enjoy it for now. You know, you never know, obviously, that's always the end goal is to be successful and you know, to be at the top. And but it's not. It's not handed to us ever, nothing's gonna no one's gonna roll over and give it to us. It's always hard work and dedication throughout the season, even a little bit in pre season for me and the coaching staff. So I mean, we'll see, I have five freshmen this year and a big softmore and junior class. You know, we're losing five talented seniors, which is always hard, especially Mvlise. You know, she came in clutch in that championship game for us and with our captain, so you know, you lose some, but hopefully that next crew of juniors steps up and really plays their role.
Speaker 5: Just this sort of a technical question, I guess, so you're putting, you know, a team on the field. How many players beyond that do you feel you need to have, you know, in terms of depth to actually to be really really good. I mean, you know, and who are good players that may be starting elsewhere stuff like that.
Speaker 3: How far beyond the start do you have to go?
Speaker 5: You know, we talk about, you know, a college basketball team, right, they've got to have at least eight what's your rotation?
Speaker 3: I mean how many?
Speaker 8: I don't have like a magic number really, you know, we had twenty five on a roster, which is pretty big, and every year I'm like, God, I shouldn't.
Speaker 7: Take that many because it is a juggling.
Speaker 8: Actor and to get everybody in and giving everyone out an opportunity. But you know, everyone plays a really important role with us, and we try to have that message from day one to try outside even if you're not getting in the game and you might be starting in a different high school in town. The you know, experience that you're getting here, with the competitiveness and just the culture that we have, I think every one of them play an important roles because practices, obviously they're huge for us, and that we want to go big and we want to scrimmage. We have the numbers and we have the potential to do that. So I don't have a magic number every game, you know, requires different players and different strengths and wesses.
Speaker 7: So everyone, you know, I think everyone played a really important role this year.
Speaker 8: We didn't have I never really have like a crazy goal scorer, which a lot of teams do. We spread it out quite a bit. I think we had over ten girls that scored for us this year. So I think everyone you know.
Speaker 7: Really played the role we needed.
Speaker 2: So you know, I tease you and and joke with you, do you have Do you ever decompress because you're always the win work, win work?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Not really, you know, single mom life.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: I'm actually in a parking lot getting ready to go grocery shopping after work today, hanging up with you guys.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you you're gonna be the best grocery shop today.
Speaker 3: What what's going in the shopping cart today? Anything good?
Speaker 8: Well, my friend is reminded me it was lent, so I have to get something without me today, So some kind of beetfood tonight?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations.
Speaker 2: I think the statue at cell point will be coming up soon with you both you and there you go.
Speaker 8: Well, hopefully someday I'm in his spot. I don't know if I'll be around thirty years, so coaching, but you know.
Speaker 7: He's for sure that's that too.
Speaker 2: But you you getting something from this obviously, Maybe the girls are just keeping you motivated. What what is that? Because you've been doing it a long time, but you still have a long road it if you want to continue.
Speaker 8: I mean love. I think it's just a passion for it. I really enjoy it. And it's not just I mean, yes, I love to win. I love being you know, having that competitive atmosphere for sure, but I also care about these girls off the fields, and I've developed a lot of good relationships with former players families, you know. I still it's always so cool to get these messages and phone calls and see the support from the former players of alumni coming back and their families and just creating that and just seeing how they are, you know, when they're getting married and they're having babies and many years down the road obviously, but it's just I love seeing that part of it. It's bigger. Like obviously I enjoyed it as a player winning, but getting to have you know, twenty to twenty five girls every year that you're building these relationships.
Speaker 7: With it means something to me. And I think that's something my mom has passed down.
Speaker 8: To me, and you know, she's got every one of my games. My family's there. It's just something that I think they know that I'm very passionate about and that I love. So I think that's you and I don't like to live.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go see you guys play, but someone forgot to let me know when they played.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 8: To be fair, I do have, Like you mentioned, my life is crazy and I.
Speaker 7: Have a lot of meages every day.
Speaker 8: So I apologizing.
Speaker 5: It's not your day to watch Steve Kelly.
Speaker 3: It's not your day to watch.
Speaker 2: You know, no excuses. One last question I asked Wolf this yesterday. Okay, so we all know Wolf, he's the grandfather of soccer and Tucson has done so so well. What do they think of him up north because he's done so well? And he says, well, they kind of don't really like me. But for you, I mean for you, we all know your success and you're doing really well. What are the people beyond Tucson think of Kelly Pearson's South Point? Because I'm sure they say, oh God, we gotta please they come again.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, I think it's actually a mixed you know. It's something that I always at the end of the year to myself. I always think, thank you guys for hating us and putting you know, giving us so much crap in pre season and talking about us and worried about us, because I think that motivates us further. Yeah, collectively, not just me, But I think it's a mix. I do think I have a lot of respect from a lot of different coaches and it's soccer community in general. But I'm sure there's always you know, maybe a coach or two that i'd be and they weren't happy about it.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I've felt it both ways.
Speaker 8: But I think I do have more support than not, is what I would like to think at least.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Kelly, thank you, YadA YadA, talk to you, ye YadA, YadA, talk to you. Thank you, good luck and again, congrats, get some good stuff at the grocery store.
Speaker 3: Six wins.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you guys so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you Kelly Perce from South Point.
Speaker 3: Cool. Cool, Let's take a break and come back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends with insight to the coach and the men who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach, Listens from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 20: Ay Wilcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance, called Arizona Health Insiders four A doh three five five one four four four four A doho three five five one four four.
Speaker 15: Four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 3: Learn how at Pima dot edu.
Speaker 2: Slash someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus.
Speaker 3: All State Agency.
Speaker 2: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 17: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 13: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help.
Speaker 14: You choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 13: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 14: Edge an exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 21: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to one in the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Vera in with me for the final second. Henry Matt finished out the week's two week cool things going on. So you wanted to continue with.
Speaker 5: Some numbers, Yeah, I wanted to circle back because I am a little bit of a stat break on some of this stuff.
Speaker 3: So I was looking. I was going through.
Speaker 5: The U of A basketball media guide trying to find other games where both teams went into triple digits. I found one more back in nineteen fifty five, but this was an overtime game. So you got to throw throw in that caveat another ASU game and a Arizona lost.
Speaker 3: One O four to one O.
Speaker 5: Three three pointers, no three pointers, three of them and also no thirty second shot clock. So there were three of them and all three of them against as U. Now there were a bunch of close ones. Yeah, that would have been a bare down there a bunch. There was a bunch of close ones. I mentioned in two uh. This was way back when LOOT would schedule a good non conference game on the weekend after playing as U in the middle of the week.
Speaker 3: And they played Yukon here coming in two two.
Speaker 5: Thousand and two, so coming off Arizona's championship game appearance and lost in one hundred to ninety eight in overtime.
Speaker 3: I remember that game.
Speaker 2: I remember it was the return game from the other game that Yukon beat Arizona on that.
Speaker 3: Golden that wasn't called that, No, that was they called it.
Speaker 2: And Lauren Wood Yeah yeah, let me ask you something because these are easy or hard to remember. But okay, so that was Richie Balostero's special on the goaltending that may or may not have happened, right. What about the foul that was called on Townsend? Was that a foul because you have I haven't seen you since then on the Townsend foul.
Speaker 3: With BYU oh b. Why did you even see it? I didn't really see it when it happened.
Speaker 5: Really, it really happened because I see as soon as a guy with with what I do. As soon as the guy starts going to the basket, I look at my computer so they can get ready to input.
Speaker 3: Whatever I didn't see, I saw the replay.
Speaker 5: I saw a whole bunch of different views of it, you know, on social media.
Speaker 3: Townsend clearly bumped him as he started to drive.
Speaker 2: Right or I thought it was more of the other guy bumped.
Speaker 5: But either there was contact. Let me put it that way. There was contact when the guy started to drive but once the guy got past Townsend and he went up for the shot, he didn't touch him. So what struck me more than anything, and this is I think what bothered people is the guy the referee who was right next to the play. The referee closest to the plate didn't call it, and Tony Padilla calls it from the scores table.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, thought, we're going to take a call here. Hello, you're on the air and one on the ball.
Speaker 3: Who's this, Nico? What's up?
Speaker 1: Hey? Man?
Speaker 22: Chilling man, I got a question for you.
Speaker 17: Man.
Speaker 22: We're ready as you should. But hey, he ends up believing.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 22: Do you think the women's basketball grat just dies?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Matt says yes with that question, he would like. I think it depends on who they get. And the name has already been mentioned in publicly. Is the Vegas coach who she hired in Vegas. She's very good? Yeah, very very good.
Speaker 5: I think I think I think this because the women's basketball fan is different from the men's basketball fan. The women's basketball fan is almost like the softball fan. They're going to follow the program until there's a reason not to follow them. So I think that the fans would give a new coach a chance. And but I do think that like all fans, they want wins, right, There'll be some loyalty, as there is for everybody, right, But I don't think. I don't think it would be an immediate serious drop off. I think the fans say, Okay, you know she she do you create a good program, I'll keep following it.
Speaker 3: That's what do you go Nico, This is a strange question, But no.
Speaker 22: I don't go to the women's games, but I watch them just because idea. Yeah, like, and that's what I'm saying is ideal.
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like I'm saying, there's loyal people like you that me just say I don't want to do.
Speaker 5: And part of it will be the personality of the new coach, because that's what let's say, let's say is a personality, right, she created, she created, Right, So I don't know, Nico, I would say it would we would have to wait and see.
Speaker 3: I can't. I don't know you can answer that question either way just right away.
Speaker 22: Yeah, man, I'm saying, Man, I feel like it would go back to like one hundred people probably going to the game.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if they win. If they win, they'll they'll come. You know, that's just you know, Tucsons, that's just how does hey do they win tomorrow?
Speaker 22: Men's basketball? Man, I don't know. Man, this team is like a crazy woman.
Speaker 20: Man.
Speaker 22: The highs are great. The loser's just terrible.
Speaker 3: Man, my boy, those women, those women.
Speaker 22: Hey, Steve, though, if you want to buy some stop, I'll tickets. I may or may not know someone that has.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, let me know you probably they're probably yours, but you probably take all the good games.
Speaker 22: They're down the third baseline.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you go for a completely different reason than Steve would go.
Speaker 2: No, no, let's go. Let's keep me in mind, and you know how to find me, you know.
Speaker 22: And first of all, Jay, I go because I respect the game. It's better than baseball. It's a lot faster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for keeping those funny appreciated.
Speaker 5: God, I was going to say something really bad, and I stopped myself.
Speaker 2: You gotta steal ye go on once a week. I got to keep my job.
Speaker 3: Here, I stop myself. Okay, no more calls. We can take something more.
Speaker 5: Anyway, you know, going back to the whole thing, Well, that that one hundred and ninety eight to ninety eight game. That was also the game where we got the stack Crew got called out because a Mecca okafor was one block short of a triple double and there was a ball that went up that it was close and we didn't call it a block, and Jim Calhoun in Sports Illustrated had a quote that it should have been a triple double, but the stack Crew and Tucson didn't give him his death block.
Speaker 2: Well, those were the good old days of those types of games. You know, Arizona went there, they came here, Kansas, Kansas.
Speaker 5: You played, they played everybody, right, they played Illinois, they played North Carolina, the Duke a few times, all the you know all those where they played the home ASU game in the in the middle of the week so they could play a great conference game, nationally televised conference game, and you.
Speaker 2: Got a weekend Tommy, because he's doing that now, I'm trying to do that now.
Speaker 5: We were having actually were having a fun conversation about that, and this was a conversation in the middle of the game on Tuesday night. The question came up was did this did the UFA fans lose their stuff when when Seawan Elliott did not make the eighty eight Olympic team, right, and then the young guys didn't know that John Thompson was the coach of that team, and I said, of course they lost their stuff. Also because that was the time when John Thompson had declined the return game with Arizona that they were supposed to play that year, because Arizona went and played them up there in eighty seven got the living crap beat out of them, and then when Thompson realized the eighty eight team was going to be really, really good. And incidentally, if you watch that video that Dana Cooper did of the of the eighty eight team, he shows a highlight from the eighty seven game at Georgetown where Billy Packer predicted that Arizona would have a Final four quality team the next year and Thompson and declined to come and play the return game that year. He said, at the time the PAC twelve PAC ten had a rule that at pack ten home games it was packed ten refs. Well, they played with the Big East refs at Georgetown, and he said he wasn't gonna come here if they had packed Pack ten refs and they didn't come and they just paid Arizona off on the contract. But it was really because he knew he was gonna get his ass kicked and he and he declined to come. But again that was another one of those return games that was gonna one of those great non conference games that was going to be scheduled.
Speaker 3: They were going to play charge. Yeah, well, Bill the Packer was was sput on.
Speaker 2: Everybody else didn't didn't think see what he saw that?
Speaker 5: And I don't even remember that happening, right, you know, I the first time I saw that that clip was when I saw the video. If I'd have known that Billy Packer had said that on TV, I would have.
Speaker 3: Used that in a you know, it's you know, in a story.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he predicted that Arizona could go to the Final four in eighty eight, and then they did, which is crazy because nobody else thought that. Yeah, well, I know I didn't think that. I think you were talking you you were with me when I talked. We talked to Harvey, right, you talk to Harvey and Matt those teams and Tobart. Last week, that team just beat the crap out of each other, just beat the crap against people just because just they want to play hard and right have fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, not too many teams like that.
Speaker 5: Since right, right, you know, just did it just because yeah, you knows as as uh, you know, I've told that story about seeing Steve Kurr in the elevator after one of those games when Arizona just got his butt kicked and he just said, this team doesn't have oh yeah, he doesn't have the tough this team has to play year before yeah, the year before that, this team has to put a snarl on its face and decided. Pete Williams and Steve Kerr brought that to that team. That team was tough.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Tom Tolbert, as goofy and nutty as that guy was, he was a badass on the floor, right.
Speaker 3: He was a six to seventh center, he was. He was a waka. Yes, physically he was a six to seventh center.
Speaker 5: And well he didn't look like he didn't look like Tobyo waka. He didn't look like he was a badass. He was and he took up space in the middle and he didn't take crap from anybody. Then you had Anthony Cook who could block anything, right, you know, Elliott, you know matured that year that was his junior year. McMillan was just a quiet assassin, and then Kerr was the guy who brought an attitude Kenny off. Kenny Lofton was an incredible talent of you want to talk about a change of pace. You were covering Steve Kerr, Now you're trying to cover Kenny Lofton, who could jump out of the gym. That created problems for for for the other teams.
Speaker 2: No, and that team became the favorite sign of just down back then. Many of the kids.
Speaker 5: Don't know about it still is still is, but you know, you know, getting back to the whole triple digits by both teams, that was that was crazy the other night.
Speaker 3: And and uh.
Speaker 5: I actually actually at towards the end actually was hoping as you would get to one hundred just so we could have that.
Speaker 2: We're all talking about that when that happened, because we didn't know when the last time and then looked it up seventy three, but no other two teams had done that. Yeah, No, Arizona and Arizona and somebody else. It was all the issues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it's happened three times, and all three times it's in ASU.
Speaker 3: But one of them.
Speaker 5: The one in fifty five was an overtime game, so that it kind of you know, if you're talking about a regulation game, it's it's been twice that that's happened.
Speaker 3: We got about five minutes or too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, if you want to call it, get us one last question, good week? All right, what do you think tomorrow? I think they lose. I think the first one to seventy five wins it. You know, seventy seventy something seventy maybe.
Speaker 3: Why do you think they lose?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be tough to Gary said, it's perfectly. They haven't lost a Senior Day in forty some years. Yeah, that plays a factor, right, and stuff, I've been there. If you want to talk about a trend, right, yeah, exactly. Why would you bet the otherwise? Right, they're a favorite by three and a half. I wouldn't touch that. Uh does it really mean much to Arizona? Probably not.
Speaker 5: You could mean from a seed, but if they you know, if they win a couple of games in the in the Big ten, Big Tough Tournament, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: That could be a quick trip to the Big twelve tournament. I mean, if you're going good luck, they would play.
Speaker 5: They would play Iowa State if the seeds hole. So Iris stay right now with the five I think, but so you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, it's it's and it's a trip far away people are did you see the stuff on Twitter and Facebook? No one was going to the games to see the women's tournament. No one's gonna go to eight ninees. No one's gonna go to the ones. They're gonna go tomorrow right on Saturday, right today and Saturday. Same with the guys. Yeah, that's when the.
Speaker 5: Well, the Wednesdays were a little thin in Vegas, the Wednesdays with the with the lower seeded games, and then then the the the tempo would pick up when the one, two, three, and four seeds would show up on.
Speaker 2: Friday nights and Saturday nights. We're huge because that the would be yeah, you know, and the rest would be dancing that park place ball and whatever you know.
Speaker 3: In the morning. Where are you from? Drink?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's what I think. It's gonna be missed by so many people. You just made that trip already.
Speaker 3: I missed it already.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, thanks guys, it's good. You gotta go the time like a minute, okay, cool? Thanks everybody. Next week's another week. I'm not sure. Well next week, are you win next Friday?
Speaker 3: I could be here next Friday. You have nothing else to do. I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think they're gonna play. I would say they're ever gonna play Baylor. Yeah, State is going to be the five and they're gonna be the three, so they'll play.
Speaker 2: I was still thinking if the winner of tomorrow or tomorrow whoever wins, won't win the repeat game next week if they played. Yeah, Okay, thanks guys, Thank you, Henry, thanks for keeping in touch with this, Matt, thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: A bunch of jay you two alrighty Man and me. I'll see you guys next week for