Speaker 1: Where it is on on, on, on on. We welcome to the Cecio pre show for episode four seventy eight.
Speaker 2: We just looked for seventy eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, holy shit, yes, one more from last week if you could count.
Speaker 2: Well, not my strong.
Speaker 1: Suit having a huge member his strong suit, very.
Speaker 3: Much my strong suit. Yes.
Speaker 1: Wow, we're here and we're brought to you by the wonderful patrons at patreon dot com slash cecial broadcast probably with huge members.
Speaker 3: Too, whether they like it or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some people aren't into that.
Speaker 3: I guess okay, we're here.
Speaker 2: I've heard that.
Speaker 1: I have you know what mean produce Sagary, We wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: I've only ever had one instance where it's like it's not gonna fit, and I was like what.
Speaker 1: Uncle Brando the long way?
Speaker 3: Why didn't like it?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 2: It was a strange situation because like, sorry, if this is TM I, but like, what do you do at that point?
Speaker 3: It's like, well, yeah, it's not gonna fit?
Speaker 1: Well did you put it somewhere else?
Speaker 3: Like do you want to try still? Now I don't think it's gonna fit.
Speaker 1: Did you like?
Speaker 2: I mean, thanks, but also thanks ude, but well it's a nice compliment.
Speaker 1: I suppose right, then then you don't get.
Speaker 2: To well yeah, but then exactly right, because then you're in this situation where it's like, well, okay, I mean.
Speaker 1: I can think of other things to do, like, oh, for sure there's other put it in between two books, like in the arm pit, yeah, or close it in the fridge door, so you get like the magnetic strip and like the little padded strip, and then it's really cold. I kind of like what you said better, what about the leg pit, like the part behind the knee. Maybe very tenderness back there, though if they flex, they could like kink it.
Speaker 3: I don't want that. Yeah, kink shaming in the nation.
Speaker 1: I would shame that kink.
Speaker 3: I would But anyways, a very strange situation or how do I get out of that? I didn't get out of it.
Speaker 2: It was just like you certainly didn't get into it exactly, so like what did I do in that situation?
Speaker 1: It's like you're already out. You just walk away. Producer Gary finding equipment around the studio for us as.
Speaker 3: We are recording the show.
Speaker 2: Anyway, enough about weird Weird sex Talk with Brando. We wanted to pick up from where we left off last week. Because we were in a time crunch, we had to end our show early. Yeah, the live show, your show every weekday, weekday, four to five, Saskatchewan time.
Speaker 1: That would be Central time.
Speaker 2: Yes, So if you want to check that out your.
Speaker 1: If you if you want to see producer Gary's face.
Speaker 3: Yeah weird. Sometimes I'm on there too, Oh weird.
Speaker 1: I know. Right. We have uh sort of four or five legendary creatures remaining that I think we owe the time of day too because they are good or like in Timet, Noctomun's Will is the leader of one of the pre cons, which is really really frickin good. Everybody I've talked to is like, man, that pre con either looks sick or they've played with the two commanders or they've like proxied out the pre con and is like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, rips like it's real good.
Speaker 1: Could be theoretically could be one of the best pre cons. Uh maybe top five ever, Wow, yeah, I praise it looks really good. And we talked about him real quick, like four to four for Black, Blue, White two, Zombie Wizard, both relevant creature types. I'm sure we said that last week. Vigilance and Menace two fantastic attacking abilities. Whenever you attack, you know with your commander that's got menace and vigilance. You draw card than discard a card.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: You discard a creature card and pay two with the with the other commander, and you make a four to four version of that creature.
Speaker 3: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: And whenever you draw a card zombies you control get plus one plus one and and a turn. So basically your blue draw X spells just turn into crater hoof behemoths.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, And just think like that's super good. And it's not even it's not even close to as good as the other commander in that box.
Speaker 1: It's crazy man alive.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: I think I would play this one though. Yeah. I love the instant speed X draw spells with my untapped zombies and it's like, okay, you're you got like one on tap guy, I swing with my commander, try and vulture on you out. In response, I'll play Blue Rainstorm, Blue sun Zen. My guys are twelve twelve. That's so good. And the other the other side is like Grave Titan, make two guys attack for ten or whatever plus my ca man fourteen Blue sun Zenith after no blocks or declared die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, so good.
Speaker 1: And you you got black for tutors, so you just search for blue sun Zenith again because it goes into your fricking.
Speaker 3: There's no escaping, escaping. That's a very good card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I like that guy. I have more thoughts for tomorrow when we talk. When we I guess we're gonna finish up Ether Drift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna give some Man.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that you're excited for this set because I was looking through them for like the whole morning fan like just going.
Speaker 3: And reading every card.
Speaker 2: This set sucks for me. This it's terrible. It's really bad.
Speaker 1: Well for me, I'll tell you something. I only have like one or two, maybe three cards I actually want to talk about and say, hey, I'm gonna put this in a deck. I'm gonna put this in a deck because I have so many other thoughts and feelings, emotions, hopes and dreams about all of the different art treatments and collector additions and the product that I actually like am getting in the mail from Fusion, Like I want to talk more about that because anybody can anybody can tune into any frickin' review that any Commander podcast does. Yeah, and hear about what the most powerful cards in the set are. But I don't know. I think if if, if we want to be like unique interesting in us, we put some of what we like about it into our content, like oh shit, well, and that's why I want to talk with you about this is my foot, this is a gun, right. No, I want to talk to you about like opening up the packs because you're going to do a Brando's box opening with my boss. Oh, and you're going to be excited about the ship that you open even though it's mine. That's true, And that's exciting for me because I think I like watching people open packs more than I like opening packs. Yeah, it's kind of don't kink shaming in the nation.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're right, you're right. When you're right, you're right. That's so.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just excited for the set and what I could get, and I'm excited to get let down and get pounded like I'm I'm excited for everything. And when you get a product that you like, it doesn't even matter if the product's good. Right, That's that is very true that like it and I got my cake and could eat it too. With Lord of the Rings because it's the universe is beyond A it's Lord of the Rings. B. It was really fucking good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And with this it's like I'm just excited for it and I want to open it and see it and watch you open it and laugh and get pounded and like drink fifty eight b or while we do it the usual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it doesn't matter if it's no good.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's a very weird. Hey, I'm just excited about magic because I'm a fucking NERD's that's it. Why are you excited when you see a new transformer?
Speaker 3: It's not a nerd? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're a nerd too because you're watching a magic podcast on the internet.
Speaker 2: Jokes on you, sucker.
Speaker 1: Producer cares a freaking nerd too because he plays like any as golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking nerd.
Speaker 2: I know he's really good at it too. Oh sure, okay, we have more legends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just want to kind of live with start your Engines and speed some more because I don't actually think it's that bad, but I want to talk about it on the show tomorrow. It's just so slow.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's that slow, like four turns.
Speaker 1: We know exactly the speed that it is. So if we can account for the speed and the strategy that we're playing, then.
Speaker 3: But it's called speed and it goes slow. That's why I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Also, exhaust is just monstrous.
Speaker 3: I realized that today too.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not even new. No, nothing is new. Everything is kicker.
Speaker 3: Well this isn't necessary. It's post playing kicker.
Speaker 2: But it's exactly monstrous. Yes, it's the exact same thing. Yes, they could have just called it monstrous. Yes, and then you'd have synergy from an older set.
Speaker 3: Yes, they hate that.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's add as much complexity to increase the barrier of entry. In addition to that, let's make the product, you know, the one hundred and twenty dollars bundles. Let's make them as expensive as weekend so nobody can buy it, and even if they can't afford it, they have no idea how to play it. Welcome to magic again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this sounds like an excellent business model.
Speaker 3: We should go we should do this.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's been around for thirty five years. You know why, because we're fucking nerves. We want to be smarter than somebody. So we know how start your Engines works. Now four turns, yes, but you can't count the first turn. And I'm sticking to this because I could play anything on my first turn of starting my engine, because that's when my speed becomes. So it's only three additional turns. It's only three additional turns after that, because I was gonna play the start your engine card like speed Demon our next legend. Yes, I was gonna play that anyways, were you, well no, but if I was, yeah, if I was gonna play it. It's a five to five flying Trampling Demon for five fine, sure that when it enters a battlefield, you start your engine so you get speed of one, You get one little rail, and at the beginning of your end step draw card and lose a life. Right if you hit your opponent next turn with your flying Trampling Demon at the end of your turn, you draw to and gain or lose.
Speaker 2: Two like overall because you only get one each.
Speaker 1: Turn, Yes overall? Yeah, and that's fine if I hit you again on the next turn, you know, with my five to five Flying Trampling Demon or anything. Maybe I have a lightning bolt tune into sidewalks lamb to see how much we talk about lightning BOLB. Then I draw three, lose three, And this card so far has drawn me six cards over the course of three turns. That's pretty good. It's not bad, Like, I don't think you abile to deck around it. It goes in the ninety nine of your demon deck or your ractose deck, or your card draw deck in black or your life self Life drained deck.
Speaker 3: It just goes into your black deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's a fine black card. I like it to demonstrate that start your engines and speed not that bad.
Speaker 2: See, this one is different because it doesn't have to be at max speed. You just have to have speed, whereas most of the other ones have a max speed ability m hmm, which means you're waiting three turns before the second half of your very worthy card kicks in. Yes, and that's where it becomes I would argue too slow. Speed is not fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah it And you know what the other thing, too is it's not on each turn, it's on the like each of your own turns.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean we can you could have, should have, would have whatever all day. But I don't think it's as slow or as bad because you can account for what the ability actually is. Sure right, So anyways, next up, we've got a hamunculous.
Speaker 3: And you have to try saying his name.
Speaker 1: Of course, it has no vowels in the name, because homunculuses don't have vowels. I guess that's so stupid.
Speaker 2: Man, Okay, Like they know that when you say a word like mm hmm, it has vowelly soundy things in it, right, Like the letters don't mean anything. Those are ourcane symbols that we ourselves have ascribed meanings that describe sound in them. So when we write this asshole's name, it should have fucking vowels in it so that we can read what it says. This cutesy bullshit pisses me OFFXT did.
Speaker 1: I get it?
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I think I got it.
Speaker 2: Woxed the verbal Yes?
Speaker 1: And if he didn't like max speed before this guy has start your engines. Sure, so he gives you speed of one. You have no max handsize, which is fine on a zero four for blue one homunculus.
Speaker 2: Sure fine, I'm building the commander deck already in my head.
Speaker 1: And then max speed if you would draw a card, draw two cards instead.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's actually good.
Speaker 3: It's a good card.
Speaker 1: But you have to have max speed. So if you cast this guy in turn two and your speed becomes one, then you gotta wait till turn three your speed becomes two.
Speaker 2: Now you gotta you gotta play something else that does damage first because he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I would have something from turn one one one for one.
Speaker 2: Can't be a vehicle because he can't crew it.
Speaker 1: No, he's a host, not a driver. He's the he's the guy that says, start your engines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh he actually does.
Speaker 1: Look at his flavor.
Speaker 3: Yes, racer, start your engines. Yes, oh, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: I love this set.
Speaker 3: I hate this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. Turn three your speed is two. Hypothetically, turn four your speed is three. Maybe turn five your speed is four. And then you draw card like with a brainstorm or.
Speaker 2: With six card with drains with brainstorm.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good, not too bad. It's pretty good. Is that if you would draw a card, draw two card instead? Yes, that replaces any instant of instance of card draw with draw two. Yes, even if a card says draw three, Yeah, I draw six.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm interpreting that otherwise it would say, draw an additional card.
Speaker 1: If you would draw a card, draw an additional card.
Speaker 2: It would say if you would draw one or more cards. Yeah, yeah, and that's not what it says. It says if you would draw one, you draw to it's dead, correct, man, That is good.
Speaker 1: Is there any way that we can like just max speed ourselves, like fricking warp drive ourselves. I think there is. There's a card that does that right until end of turn. There's no card until end of turn makes our speed four. No, there's not one. No, did you look at every card?
Speaker 2: Yes, I missed that one. That seems like a pretty intense one to miss. That's the one that maxes out.
Speaker 3: Your speed instantly.
Speaker 2: That would be very good, man.
Speaker 1: We can design that card right now. Yeah, artifact so you can go in any deck of course, because we're nice guys.
Speaker 2: It costs three taps for one man out of any color and max is at your speed.
Speaker 1: Just for one turn when you sacrifice it. Because it's a fucking rocket booster.
Speaker 2: It's a not a nitrous canister, because that's what they give you the dentist and.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, yes, yes, you're saying the right thing.
Speaker 2: Wait does it also make your cargo fast? Is it the same gas bro?
Speaker 1: You ever seen Fast and Furious one? I need not, I need not rip Paul Walker.
Speaker 3: Who's that?
Speaker 1: Oh? The one movie he haven't freaking seen. Anyways, we got two more guys, Okay, I actually like this one. This is Winter Cursed Rider. This is a three to two human Warlock for Blue Black. I like that manic cost.
Speaker 3: How did he get out of the house.
Speaker 1: Why don't know he was in dusk Moore though, right, Yeah, maybe there was an omen path like in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: And he just walked out.
Speaker 2: Yes, man kind of makes the whole terror of that setting kind of irrelevant, doesn't it. Ah, if you can just leave through the big glowing door, Huh, somebody's got to get away.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cursed Rider three two Human Warlock ward two because of course everything's got on a ward pay two life artifacts you control have ward pay two life.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Ooh that's good. That's good. And then he's got exhaust So if you want to do this more than once, you're gonna have to bounce him or let him die and recast him. You go Black Blue to tap exile x artifact cards from your graveyard each other non artifact creature gets minus x minus x until end of turns.
Speaker 2: As a what is that a wrath with a conditional wrath?
Speaker 3: Based on how many cards are in your graveyard?
Speaker 1: How many do you need to make that good?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 1: Four or five? I think hey, because four is languish. Five is probably gets everything by when you'd want to have that cast.
Speaker 2: You want to kill that demon right there, that's got flying and trample and it's going to draw you one hundred cards, as we did discussed earlier.
Speaker 1: Yes, you want to kill that thing.
Speaker 3: Thus five, what's.
Speaker 1: The what's the blue black milliar? Self guy? That's like the ancient one? Is that a card? I gotta look it up. I gotta look it up. What the ancient one?
Speaker 2: I feel like, if you're gonna do self mill, then yeah, I am just play this one instead of that one.
Speaker 1: Draw a card, then discard a card. When you discard a card, that's not it target player, mills cards equal duce Man of Value. Yeah, this is the one. This is the one. I think these guys go hand in hand, the ancient one and winter. Is it any good? It's probably fine? Is it any powerful? Is there is the better question made? Yeah? I don't think it's I think it's I think it's not very.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's actively not very good. I don't think Winter is actually that good. He's a fine utility creature, yes, but he's not awesome.
Speaker 1: Man, this set, it's not it's not giving me anything that I want to put in my commands on.
Speaker 3: You know, no, not even sort of.
Speaker 1: We talked about it in the review last week, like how many of these go into the ninety nine of decks that.
Speaker 2: Already exist, virtually all of them except for the two zombie commanders.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those guys are good. Yeah, those guys I do want to put at the helm of my deck. Yes, yeah, I guess Are we okay with that? Remember remember last year and the year before, it's like, man, every commander is so pushed and there's a hundred.
Speaker 2: Of them now at this yep, I'm actually better with this, although I do kind of not necessarily like Winter, Cursed Rider doesn't have to be a legendary creature. That could just have been some like super fast Gast and he does that same.
Speaker 1: All gas like ghast. Yes, like the old spelling of ghost.
Speaker 3: Yes, he could have just been one of those.
Speaker 2: But like now every creature that's good as a legendary creatures can have a name.
Speaker 1: That's pretty clever. A and B. You're right. Every creature that's any good that isn't just like a nine to seven for five has a name.
Speaker 2: It's not a five to four that gives your dinosaurs plus one plus one for three.
Speaker 3: That's a card in this set.
Speaker 1: Too, Thanks Dominaria. I think Dominari in twenty seventeen is what kicked off the let's make like a hundred legends because Commander. And then over the next what five or six years, everybody's like, stop it. And this is the first time that we're seeing stop stop it, like MTG stop it culture come into play.
Speaker 2: I like how they're starting their engines and step in on the gas to stop it. So good, it's so good, and it's happening slowly.
Speaker 1: They don't have very good break. Last guy's a who your mother is? A Zahore, Glory's.
Speaker 2: Past, Glory's Ass, the whore, glorious ass.
Speaker 1: Yes he's a three two zombie cat warrior h Black White. Start your engine, sacrifice another creature, surveil one, activate only once each turn. That's fine because I can do four per round, right, if I got enough guys and mac speed. When a non token creature you control dies create a tapped two two black zombie creature token, why.
Speaker 3: Does it have to be tapped?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, why does it have to be tapped? Because? Oh, because you can sacrifice a tapped creature to make a token that can instant block. H Yeah, that's probably pretty good and limited, which I know is not what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: But that's why this guy is a Who's the guy that I play for my oars of oops? All legendary deck exact rat of Drabbic. Yeah, so he's like shitty rated Drabic because Rata Drabbic makes the same token, except their copies of legendary things that aren't legendary.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is you can get value from this guy as a secondary rat of Drabbic in your ninety.
Speaker 3: Nine that's right?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna do that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh, if I open one, if you open one for me, I'll give it to you. There we go as payment for shroom foot shroom mushroom stamp guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh man, did I'm mushroom stamp with that the other day? Man?
Speaker 3: That deck is good.
Speaker 1: No, I just had a good hand.
Speaker 3: That's really good.
Speaker 1: The deck is not good. Well, okay, those are the legends. Most of them belong in the ninety nine except for two of the thirty four, so that's like, I don't know, six percent are actually good. If it's even that high, I don't think it is. And I don't know. We're gonna We're gonna look at the rest of the set. We've got a upcoming Brando's Box opening.
Speaker 3: Ah, yes, yep.
Speaker 1: I have a Collector box and I have a Finish Line bundle. And the lands that go in there are max speedlands, like those three lands that you get, and I think on lands that I'm gonna play anyways, those I like those are fine because incidentally it's just like, oh, my land gives my guys haste now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or my land out for two now?
Speaker 1: Yeah cool. I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that it doesn't tap for zero like in Temple of the False Gods case, so like strict upgrade there. Maybe yeah, maybe if you if you have a depth that's like Agro, I'm gonna damage you every turn. I think that card's better than Temple of the False God low bar. But here we are.
Speaker 3: But it and it is and it's got a cool picture on it.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: So I like those.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about those tomorrow and we'll we'll talk about our favorite cards. I'm going to talk a little bit about the showcase art styles again that I'm excited to open now that I've seen like some videos and stuff of.
Speaker 3: Them, and I'm going to take a huge shit on it.
Speaker 1: And he just had taco time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Buddy
Speaker 1: Four seventy eight hit our theme song room, Room,