Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief. There's a joy in these games, taking you on a journey through fantasy.
Speaker 2: Football, the law, and life.
Speaker 1: We saw your depends on.
Speaker 3: How much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 2: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly disc Dicussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer.
Speaker 1: Let's not delay.
Speaker 3: Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 4: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 3: Welcome into this week's discussions with Drew. Our guest for you this week is auction expert and officionado Joe Dolan.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to have him here. We're going to die deep in up today.
Speaker 3: Joe happens to be the owner and editor in chief over at Fantasy Points as well as a serious XM host, radio show of the Year host from FSGA, as well as a three time award notmin to be with FSWA. That's a mouthful. That's quite a bio, Joe, Welcome to the show man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Drew.
Speaker 2: It's great to be with you. Great to be talking auctions with you. I have to tell you, by the way, I don't know you've gone Paul with this. I don't know if you've announced it on your podcast, but I want to make sure to congratulate you and Brian Drake on the new Serious x and Fantasy Points Weekend Show, which is really launching us into fantasy football talk here. I think unsure of when this is going to debut, this particular podcast, but I do know that the weekend show is debuting on July the twelfth, on Sunday afternoons.
Speaker 5: I believe two to.
Speaker 1: Four PM five PM started.
Speaker 2: Probably should know that, given it's under our banner, But I mean bringing more auction talk to the masses, I'm sure on that particular platform, and really let me spread your wings. I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 1: True, I'm excited too. Man.
Speaker 3: It's it's I just can't believe I'm getting the opportunity I of View and Fantasy Points team to think.
Speaker 1: And I'll never stop being grateful for that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you know, we're not going to try to force the auction stuff on people, but hey, if it comes up, it comes up, and I think it's a great way to keep pushing this. And honestly, man, that's something I wanted to talk about today. I mean, you know, I talked to JJ Zacharyesen a couple of days ago and I'm on his show and he says, like, how do we make this more mainstream? I said, you know, I think about that every day because I'm not sure that auctions are growing at the same pace that Fantasy football itself is growing.
Speaker 1: So what do we do about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the number one is you know, are you I'm sure you're well familiar with the Dave Matthews band, right, sure, and like live music and stuff like that. So I was watching a YouTube video on like the history of all the stuff that comes up on YouTube right that that you just that just winds into one another, and there came up to be an interview with the Dave Matthews bands. Their their manager, and what he was was when they came up in Charlottesville, Virginia. They he was a club owner and they were one of the acts that frequented the club, and he saw the potential in this band. But he was like, you know, the way that we're not going to do this. We're not going to try to get them in front of a music executive, you know, and put out this like kind of small, sy glossy record and then have them open for bigger acts.
Speaker 5: That that's not going to work for this band.
Speaker 2: He's like, we got to get people in the door, we got to get people in the building. We've got to get people experiencing this firsthand. I think that that's kind of like a simple explanation for auctions. It's like you just gotta get into one, and then you've got to realize, like the adrenaline rush is so much different than a normal fantasy draft and quite frankly, look, I'm on an auction podcast. I do an auction draft plan at Fantasy Points. I'll probably get that out in the next week or two, obviously with some tweaks for this year. And I have to admit, you know, Drew, that auctions are a very small part of my fantasy draft portfolio. You know, they take up more time. You know, you have to be constantly on the ball. You can't just be like, oh, all right, I have the I have the twelfth pick, so I know I'm gonna pick back to back and then I can go stretch my legs, take a walk around the park, go take a smoke break, and then by the time I come in, I'll be six picks away. You know, like stuff like that, auctions, you got to be on your toes, and I think for some people that's a little bit daunting.
Speaker 5: You know, I used to be in a.
Speaker 2: Fantasy NBA league and that was an auction that would go late at night, and at some point I'm like, I'm not a fantasy basketball quote unquote expert the way I am a fantasy football quote unquote expert.
Speaker 5: So an auction in a league, in a.
Speaker 2: League the NBA that I'm not a that I'm not really dialed into can get can become a little bit of a slog. But I feel like if you get somebody who's in multiple fantasy leagues and just say, hey, look, let's do this, let's do it for ten bucks, see how we like it. Let's let's just run auction and see how people like it. I think that's the only way to get it mainstream is to get people into a league. And I think convincing twelve people, ten to twelve people to do that might be the most challenging part, because you know there's no set it and forget it option in an auction. As a matter of fact, if you are a set it and forget it person, that ruins the experience for everybody else.
Speaker 5: So you really need people.
Speaker 1: To be engaged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you hit on two important points here is one of them is your NBA auction analogy there is perfect because it is a bit of a slog. If that's not something that you're really into, you get three quarters of the way through that thing and you're like, Jesus, is this going to end? And I understand that aspect of it, But the way I've been selling it to a lot of people in the business to try to get more excitement about it and get more conversation around it. Is by saying, if you are an aspect fantasy football, and if you really do know what you're doing, then you should want to do an auction because I think it magnified your edges and I think it makes you a better player if that's your thing. But you make a great point that if it's not your thing, it does feel.
Speaker 1: Like a bit of a log and I understand that.
Speaker 3: So well, let's talk a little bit about last year, just super quick. I know people don't love this topic, but I love it because I get these smart people on my show and I like to hear what their take is from last year. Did you have something in twenty twenty five auctions that happened to you or that you're thinking about that you're going to stress for this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll be completely honest. The most success I've had in my auction leagues in years past was spreading my spend around at the wide receiver position and either going hero RB or effectively zero RB. And last year was just the freaking worst year possible for that. Drew and it flipped the entire fantasy industry on his head. And one of the things that Ryan heath Over at Fantasy Points has researched, certainly somebody you'll probably be interested in having on the show on Sirius XM is he found that wide receiver twos and not like wide receiver twos in like a team's Z receiver, right, but wide receiver twos from a fantasy football perspective. Their scoring fell precipitously this season and probably twenty twenty four as well, when kind of that running back revolution happened with Saquon Barkley and Derek Henry and Josh Jacobs and trying to get those guys the fantasy wide receiver two you know, your meat and potatoes thirteen to fifteen fantasy point per game guys you know who occasionally would have a spike week. It was a feudal exercise, and it was something that just really kicked me in the teeth from my own perspective, and it's going to cause me to take a much deeper look this year as to whether or not that's something that's going to continue. I mean, I think it's going to continue. Look at all these teams buying a second and a third tight ends in free agency and the NFL draft. But is there another place where we can have an edge as opposed to just kind of going old school and saying, oh, running back, running back, spending up at running backs the way to go. I'm not one hundred percent sure of that right now, Drew, and I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I agree with you because I started out this summer talking a little bit about how I think we're really gonna have to concentrate on getting those alpha receivers that are commanding that thirty percent target share, and then when I got into it, I've had done a couple mocks recently, and those.
Speaker 1: Top guys are really overpriced so far.
Speaker 3: And I understand MOX can kind of enhance that a little bit because people want to show off a starting lineup that looks pretty, But I still think those top guys are going to be a little bit overpriced. And when I say overpriced, I'm not necessarily saying that that's an incorrect price. It's just too much for me and I'm not gonna be paying sixty six dollars for Jamar Chase. That's just it's never It's not in my blood to do that for auctions. I don't like my builds when I do that. So my take on it has been that we need to swing the pendulum back toward running back a little bit, but we don't want to swing it too far because I still believe that auctions are the place where zigging when others are zagging is really the play that you have to make, even more than in a serpentine because it rewards the uniqueness in the auction room. So I'm not sure I'm going to swing all the way back. What I've come to the conclusion of is there are a lot of veteran running backs that qualify for what we formally call the dead zone, but who are actually very useful because of the prevalence of twelve and thirteen personnel in the NFL, Now that's using more running backs, and instead of that wide receiver two or wide receiver three sort of archetype that we were chasing in auctions, maybe we need to be chasing the running backs there. So I guess that's probably my first question for you, is how are you going to treat running backs? I mean, the prices are a little bit crazy there too. So I haven't formalized my draft plan yet. I know you haven't. It's it's you know, early July. But what are your thoughts about running back this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like I've got to allocate some more spending than I have in years past. But the question becomes, yeah, you know, I always get weary and this is like kind of a hurdle I'm gonna have to get over Mentally. Let's just say I spend up in my draft for Jonathan Taylor and Chase Brown. Okay, what's that gonna cost me? Ninety ninety five but close to half of my budget? That makes me so queasy given the history of the running back position prior to the last couple of years, and that's just never where I've had success in auctions spending my money.
Speaker 3: You know, like THEAE.
Speaker 2: Like so, but I feel like I do kind of have to approach it that way. But then from another angle, if I do approach it that way, I feel like everybody's gonna approach it that way, you know, running back. Here's the thing about running back though in an auction, in my opinion, they've never been cheap.
Speaker 5: You know, there was never there.
Speaker 1: That's why we went to wide receiver, right.
Speaker 2: So they've never Even when I was having success spreading my spend around at the wide receiver position, my edge was because the running backs were still expensive, even though wide receiver was the more stable position. That was my edge entirely. My edge entirely was because I was getting a more stable, a more durable position in a league that favored the pass for seventy five eighty eighty five percent of the value that the top running backs were going for. And even when wide receivers were the way to go, running backs were still more expensive.
Speaker 5: So now we have to navigate a landscape where running backs are just.
Speaker 2: As expensive as they've ever been and there might not be an edge top instead pivoting to wide receiver. That is really tricky for me this year, and again I still don't know exactly how I'm going to approach that. So, like I mean, if I don't think, if you don't have running backs this year, and you haven't had them the last couple of years, you've you've been you've been up up the creek, man. Like you know, Scott Barrett always has a line that we never want to hear as as fantasy football players, but certainly as people like you and I who are creating content that really only like a handful of guys actually matter in fantasy every year. Right, you look at the advance rates in ESPN leagues and their playoffs because they make that data available.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Sleeper.
Speaker 2: Does too on some level, and you're like, oh, this guy was on forty percent of league winning teams. This guy was on thirty percent of league winning teams, And it's it's really kind of humbling to see just how few guys are are are affecting leagues that way. But if you didn't have those guys at the running back position in the last couple of years, you have not won a heck of a lot of anything. So it's a real big challenge this year, and I'm still not one hundred percent sure how I'm going to approach that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I've started to realize, And first of all, I love talking to you, Joe, because every time we talk, it really it's great confirmation bias for me because I spend a lot of summer shouting into the void in my show by myself talking about these concepts, and I start to think every once in a while, like, am I getting this right? Am I crazy? But talking to you always grounds me and it makes me think, Okay, I am on the right track here. So I'm with you about the fact that I haven't settled this yet. That's why this conversation for both of us is going to be immensely.
Speaker 5: Let me know what you figure it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a text.
Speaker 3: Well, So I think what I'm leaning towards at this point is there are still wide receivers I find to be relatively quote unquote value at this point, guys like Nico Collins. I'm on Rosse Brown even is a little bit lower than some of these top guys, and I still think that we can do that. But one of the things that I talked about with JJ was that there are some wide receivers that are in that mid twenties range that are really you can get quite a few of them in that range. And there are guys that have upside that you know, you were talking like Terry McLaurin, types Tet McMillan, We're talking, you know, even guys like Christian Watson fifteen to eighteen dollars. And I'm not excited about a lot of these guys, but you know, you can put together a lot of these guys for like one hundred and ten bucks. You can get like five of these guys for one hundred and ten bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like that might be the shotgun approach, right, like just trying to get all those middle tier guys. I can't imagine what the Christian Watson bidding war is going to look like in my auction league, and that it's gonna have a bunch of Fantasy Points guys in it and Fantasy Points adjacent guys in it. By the way, if I ever have a spot open up, I know who to reach out to get you in there. But let me go back to a guy who I think is actually a pretty pivotal player for me this year because it aligns with some of of Ryan Heath's research, T Higgins. Last year, t Higgins played twelve games drew in which a Joe started at quarterback, that being Burrow or Flacco. He had Jake Browning in the other games that he played, and in those games he averaged thirteen point seven Fantasy points per game in underdog's half PPR scoring, which was the equivalent of Chris Alave, who was basically the wide receiver nine in that scoring, and the three games he played with Jake Browning he averaged just five point five fantasy points per game, so it dropped him to like the wide receiver twelve in fantasy points per game. But he also is the guy who finished wide receiver four in Underdog scoring in twenty twenty four. And this guy, let's just let's just call his ADP just because it's kind of easier to talk about than average auction value. He's wide receiver fifteen right now on Underdog, so he's being drafted as a wide receiver two now. As I mentioned earlier, Ryan Heath examined the downfall of fantasy wide receiver twos and unsurprisingly, his conclusion was that the heavy tight end formations was a significant factor. But also part of his research though, was kind of the teams that aren't leaning into that zeitgeist. Those teams wide receiver twos from an NFL perspective, like t Higgins are undervalued from a fantasy football standpoint. This is one of the top touchdown scores in the NFL, and I feel like he is going to go for what sixty percent of what Jamar Chase goes for in an auction. So if just say Jamar Chase is a fifty dollars player, as te Higgins gonna be a thirty dollars player, that's kind of a guy who I feel like is a pivotal guy.
Speaker 1: For I'm not even sure he's going to be thirty this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe not, Like I feel like that's a pivotal guy for executing kind of the plan that you're discussing. All right, let's try to Let's not go like like I would used to like I would used to do, would be like get two really high price receivers, one sort of medium price, and then dollar bitt it right, Like, you know, just.
Speaker 5: Let me get some of the some of the hype up young.
Speaker 2: Guys who kind of slipped through the cracks, and that's going to be a great wide receiver room for me. I'm not going to do that this year. I feel like maybe I have to spread that out more evenly among the wide receivers because that is going to allow me to then approach the top end of the running back board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think that if if we're looking for that value, and one of the first things I led the summer with and I'm still thinking about this because I'm not certain whether I'm right or not. But one of the things I led by this my summer show with was, Hey, I don't know that I care so much about these twelve and fifteen dollars receivers in an auction, because those are the type of players that fell off a cliff last year that sort of disappeared. And I'm much rather spend up for a twenty eight dollars guy twice than to go for three fifteen dollar guys. And so I think you're right on here. And the t Higgins thing is interesting. I was literally looking at this last night because one of the things I was frustrated with last summer was how expensive T Higgins was. He slipped into the bottom of wide receiver one territory. He's going around eleven or twelve last summer, and I thought, this is crazy for T Higgins. But now he's in the range where I want him, and in your poll there with Joe's versus Jake is wonderful. I love that the audience is going to love that too, because I do think that's a really it's a really interesting storyline. And I haven't talked about Tea a lot this summer. But let me back up for a second from the running back wide receiver talk. I want to hit the onesie position here for a minute, because I know the narrative on quarterback is a bit run away as well, just like the running back narrative. And we're going to come back to running backs and wide receivers here before we get you out of here. But at quarterbacks specifically, we'll hit tight end here in a second. But at quarterbacks specifically, I've been preaching this and I know others are because I'm seeing it in the auction room. It is so deep. There are so many guys that can feasibly say this guy could be, you know, at QB one, he could be end up top twelve, he can end up top eight. There's really no reason to be spending up. It's having two effects that I'm seeing. The first effect is surprisingly the top quarterbacks are cheaper than they've ever been in the auction rooms that I've been in the past couple of summers, So guys like Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, they're just cheaper and raw dollar value. And then the second thing I'm seeing is that the mid tier quarterbacks nobody cares about their falling off a cliff. I got Joe Burrow for five bucks the other night in the mock. Again, it's a mock like grain of salt, I understand, but I do think they're The effect is people are having a little bit more of a like, I don't really care too much. I kind of shrugged a little bit more at the quarterback position. Is that an opportunity for us to go for the higher priced guys or no.
Speaker 2: I was literally just about to ask, like the question when we were discussing, like is it running back?
Speaker 5: Is it wide receiver this year? Is Josh Allen the answer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm I'm thinking it might be. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, we just put out an article at Fantasy Points that was was we called the brain Trust series where we just asked a bunch of our staff members and contributors, like an open ended question, who's your favorite best ball pick this year? That's what the article was, And you know, Scott Barrett responded with Josh Allen, and I wonder if some of his logic might also just apply to auctions, like here is what Josh Allen has finished by Fantasy points per game in the last six seasons, QB one.
Speaker 5: QB two, QB one, QB two, QB one, q BE one.
Speaker 2: If Josh Allen doesn't get hurt, too bad, you're getting You're getting about as guaranteed as a guy is to be the number one overall player at his position as anyone if I were to tell you, let me just tell you every player in the NFL is going to play seventeen games, which would make our jobs a lot easier in general. But let's just let's just say that just I am. I am like this this omnipresent football injury God, and I have decided I'm turning injuries off for twenty twenty six. Nobody gets hurt.
Speaker 1: Love it? This sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Who is the player you're going to be most confident is going to be the number one finisher at their position?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Allen's got to be one of the only three players I'm going to mention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like McCaffrey would probably be around there, but like, even still, you look at McCaffrey and you're like, man.
Speaker 5: Jamier Gibbs.
Speaker 2: If Jamier Gibbs doesn't get hurt, you know, Dejon Robinson doesn't get hurt. Now, Pooka maybe, but Jamar Chase has won a triple crown recently, so Brock Bauers. But you know what if Trey McBride catches one hundred and ten passes again, you know, so, I think Josh Allen would be right up there and getting that level of a guarantee.
Speaker 5: Could that be the way for me to pivot?
Speaker 2: And that's a really hard thing for me to wrap my head around.
Speaker 5: Because, like you said, geez man, I could just.
Speaker 2: Get Brock Purty for one dollar and then I have the money to spend on the running back. But you know, a lot of times at running back and receiver with that money we have allocated in an auction, we're trying to guess which guy doesn't get hurt.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess Josh Allen could always get hurt too, but he hasn't, and when he does, he plays hurt. And when he plays hurt, even like last year, he was still the number one quarterback in Fantasy. So I wonder if that's the answer. Just spend for Josh Allen because you are going to get a guaranteed, and this is obviously in single quarterback formats. You're gonna get a guaranteed top three finisher at his position, as good a bed as anybody to finish number one at his position, for a third of what Jamier Gibbs is.
Speaker 5: Gonna cost, if not less than that. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like the bell curve thing with like the smooth brain guy, yeah, the geek and then the genius, like right now is like, smooth ring guy pays for Josh Allen. The Geek's like, no, you can get brock Purty for one dollar, and then the genius is like, pay for Josh Allen. You know That's what it kind of sounds like right now.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: One of the things too, that I always point out to my listeners is that the sharper the room, the more they like to play quarterback chicken. And that's also where you're gonna find the value on those top quarterbacks, because so many people in those sharp rooms think I don't care, I can pick out a quarterback who's going to perform.
Speaker 1: And they lay off them.
Speaker 3: And maybe even it's may not even be Josh Allen too. Lamar Jackson has been far too cheap than the couple of moncks I've done, which is weird to me, but I guess I get it based on recent history, and we've got a changing on the guard there. We don't know exactly what we're going to get yet, but even if you go from Lamar Jackson, you might get him for seventy percent or sixty percent of what Josh Allen goes for.
Speaker 1: So that's boy.
Speaker 3: This is It's an interesting conversation because I've been banging the drum all summer long about how deep quarterback is, and I think it's still a fine play. If you want to go in there and get Dak Prescott and Brock Purty and spend five total dollars, that still sounds like a fine play to me. But I think it's worth the conversation of the cheaper top quarterbacks coming back into play. Let's shift to the other ones, the spot which is the tight end spot and the conversation that I hate to keep referencing this conversation, but we went deep on auctions. The conversation I have with JJ was that I hate picking those mid round tight ends because the opportunity cost of who I could be drafting there instead of a Kyle Puts, Pitts, er Tyler Warren or somebody like that in those spots is too high. I don't like to do that, but in auctions there's not the same opportunity cost, it's a little bit easier to go for those guys. What do you think is going to be your tight end strategy.
Speaker 2: I'm probably going to be more into getting into the high end of it this year than in the past, And if I do, I think there are two players who I am particularly interested in. Those two players would be obviously Brock Bowers, but also Colston Loveland. Some of the numbers that Colston Loveland had last year when he when the Bears went to three tight end sets, which by the way, they're going to continue doing because not only do they still have cole Comette on the roster, they draft the same route in third round, so they are planning on obviously this sets them up for the future when cole Comette walks, but also they're planning on using those kind of formations. Colston Loveland, by the way, had a fifty two percent yardage share when they ran three tight end sets. That is stupid, like that is ridiculous, Like if they were if there was if there was a passing play on a three tight end set, for the Chicago Bears. More than half of the yardage on that was gained by Colston Loveland, not a tight end Coulston Loveland. So we're a little bit lower on Tray McBride. Even though we have Trey McBride projected as our tight end two this year, because of catch volume, we are are our projection is like two hundred yards shy of his yardage prop in in the sports books, So I'll let somebody else pay up for Trey McBride. I think Brock Bowers very well could break fantasy football this year, justin obviously he played hurt last year. They had the worst offensive situation in the entire NFL, with the offensive line being decimated in Gino playing like crap, Chip Kelly calling the plays. I think Brock Bawers has a chance to break fantasy this year, and if he's coming in cheaper than some of the top tight ends, I will be entertaining that. And then but I'm really going to be interested in those second year guy as well, Colson Lovelin and Tyler Warren. So if if I feel like I priced out of that, I'm probably going to go dumpster diving. But man, is it so much more appealing to go dumpster diving at quarterback than it is tight end. Which is why, even though I just spent five minutes ago talking about how maybe Josh Allen is the answer to our questions here.
Speaker 5: I feel like I might be more likely to draft.
Speaker 2: Brock Bowers than I am to draft Josh Allen.
Speaker 5: Just because the image of of.
Speaker 2: Of Josh Allen and chigakon Quo on your on your fantasy team visa VI Brock party and and Brock and Brock Bowers. I mean, I know which one mentally I'm taking, even though the two Yeah, I take the two Brocks as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna ask you to parse Bowers and McBride for us, but it's pretty clear you like Bowers. Let me ask you from a raw dollar perspective. I know every draft room is going to be different, but do you feel about the actual number you're willing to spend, Because most of the time we're talking straight up not tight end premium, not any of the bells and whistles, just a straight up PPR league with the number one tight end on the board. A lot of the times we don't see that number crack thirty in most auction drafts that I'm playing, But what is Bowers going to go for me? He's going to go for more than thirty bucks in most I think.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, if it's not cracking thirty, give me Brock Bowers and literally every league, like just giving them to me every league, you know, like because one of the things that I like about Bowers, and we're going to feel the same way obviously about Warren and Loveland as well. I just talked about Loveland and three tight end sets, but these guys are not Bowers is not going to leave the field. He's a competent blocker, right, so he isn't going to be somebody liking a Conquo or like a Kyle Pitts who's going to run a lower route share because of their blocking struggles. He is going to be out there. I feel like anything up to like forty forty five would be palatable for Brock Bawers.
Speaker 5: And I know, like if you're an auction player and.
Speaker 2: You're listening to this and you're like, man, I hate doing that for one of the onesie positions. But again, I just feel like in in today's meta in the NFL, knowing what teams are going to do.
Speaker 5: Knowing what Clint.
Speaker 2: Kubiak does, I know brock Bawers isn't leaving the field. I know he's somebody who's gonna be out there if they're in a run heavy game script or in a pass heavy game script. He is by far, I mean by far, their best receiver. Like it's not even close, right, even if they signed Stefan Diggs, He's still going to be by.
Speaker 5: Far their best receiver.
Speaker 2: That's a player I'm just kind of willing to bet on for twenty twenty six. And I am not a spend up for tight end guy. I wasn't even back when Gronk was breaking fantasy football leagues. I missed that train, and my strategy worked when Gronk and then later Travis Kelcey were breaking fantasy football leagues. But Brock Bawers is in a tier to his own, and I wonder if coming off of such an injury plague season, the fact that you know the Raiders are projected to be a bad team, the fact that he's still in ways theoretically the next great like league breaking tight end, I wonder if he's going to come in under those prime Gronk and Prime Kelsey prices. I tend to think that he will, and that's probably where I'm going to be willing to buy in. So these the ones he positions like, I feel like those are the ones where maybe that edge is going to be exploitable this year.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right about the price on Bowers, because we'd be having a little bit different conversation too if his year had gone a little different injury wise.
Speaker 1: And I believe that.
Speaker 3: If we're getting Bowers low to mid thirties, which I think is completely achievable in some of these rooms, that I think we need to think about it. And one of the things that we don't talk about enough is that he's going to provide what amounts to basically a wide receiver one production. You can talk about a low end wide receiver one as your tight end that's worth spending, and the price is vastly different than what you're paying for those wide receiver ones. So that's something that isn't pointed out enough when we do auctions. And look, Joe, I'm with you. I've never been a spend up a tight end guy. I just never have been. I only do that in my ten teamers, because I don't believe in twelve and fourteen teamers that I like my bills, but I'm certainly considering it, and I'm going to put something out here that I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to love.
Speaker 1: But McBride.
Speaker 3: The bloom is off the rose this summer on McBride. I'm waiting for a price to be too low on McBride. I'm not saying that I'm targeting him whatsoever, but if people are nervous about him because of the offense, because of the heavy run scripts, because of all of the noise around how he runs ring so many routes last year, more than any other tight end in the league, and the volume was dependent a lot on the game scripts they were in. So I get all the warts with McBride, But if he comes in way too cheap because people are nervous, and that can happen in auctions, that magnification effect of everybody in the room is just kind of like, yeah, I don't care, and then all of a sudden he's twenty three bucks, I'm going to be saying twenty four.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's one of the things with McBride, even though our projection is a little bit lower on him, and keep in mind, but not that I think people are going to overreact too much if Kobe Prisett doesn't show. But Chakobe Pressett is still in an active holdout. I think everybody on the planet expects that to get resolved somehow. I mean, can't Gardner Minshew get him the ball? Like Gardner Minshew's kind of made a career of that. So no, I mean, I'm a little lower on McBride and he's not one of the guys I'm actively targeting, but he's got he's got that kind of prime zach Ertz to him, right.
Speaker 1: Like yes, yeah, the low the low, the low.
Speaker 2: Yards per reception. But holy crap, is are there some games where you're going up against a train McBride and you're like, would you please stop throwing.
Speaker 1: Him him through to somebody else?
Speaker 5: Like please?
Speaker 2: Like I know, like, and their defense is gonna suck again, Like I just don't think they have a pass rush, So there is going to be that element as well. It's just that now with Harrison, you know, Michael Wilson had a little bit of a breakout season. We have people in our company who are very divided on Michael Wilson by the way, right, he hates him this year, which which is fun to kind of get his perspective. But then, of course, Jeremiah Love. You know, they can say all they want. Well, I'm gonna catch myself here. I'm gonna say they can say all they want, They're not They're not. They don't want to make them a belkow. But we have seen far too many times where a highly touted rookie running back is getting pulled off the field in favor of Tyler Algier. As a matter of fact, it happened two years ago in favor of Tyler Algier with Bjeon Robinson.
Speaker 1: So Tyler, Yeah, with the.
Speaker 5: Actual Tyler Algier.
Speaker 2: So uh no, But Jeremiah Love is going to get the ball, you know, they signed Tyler Algier or James Connor still there. I do think there is a high likelihood and I mean I'm not exactly going out on a limb here, but I do think there's a high likelihood that Trade McBride catches more than one hundred and twenty six passes this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but you know, and again it comes down to what where does he settle in. Even if he's a ninety catch guy, maybe the prices are going to reflect that. And again this is this is me talking off the cuff here because I am not a McBride guy this year, but I'm afraid that enough people are not that I'm going to see a really low price and I'm going to need to react to that. So just putting that in everybody's brains, be ready to react.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing that that that can be so challenging in auctions, right, because even if you don't like a player, we filter all of our lens through ADP. Right, Oh, I'd like him if he was two rounds cheaper. All of a sudden, the guy gets cheaper, you know. Get you drink a couple of do you drink a couple of Bruskis, and you're like, oh man, that guy I thought he was a five. Well he's an eight now, baby, let's go you know, like uh that that that's kind of how it goes, right, you know. And so McBride might be a player like that. But the one of the things I would like to encourage people to do. Obviously, if you're listening to this, you know how to do auctions. But my whole line is is if your entire team is full of values, your team's gonna suck.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: So, like if you're just like, oh, that guy was too cheap, even though I understand why he was cheap, Oh that guy, like, your team's not going to be very good. You're going to have to You're going to have to restluly spend on some level.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always say you just there's somebody that you're going to have to overspend on. There's going to be a couple guys on your team that you don't like the price on them, But that's probably good because that means they are popular, they're expected to be good producers. You're not trying to get deals on your best players. You're trying to get deals on other players that you feel I cannot perform their price. So all right, we're running just a little low on time. I want to get a couple guys that you are targeting and avoiding. But before we do that, just a general auction question. I was going to leave this show with this, but let me just say that I believe that auctions are a game where far more than serpentine drafts it's about who makes the fewest mistakes. Are there a couple of things that you see auction drafters do repeatedly, or just one thing or two things that you think that people do repeatedly that are mistakes that people need to quit doing.
Speaker 2: Well. Number one is there's always going to be the guy in your league. I have yet to be in an auction league where somebody didn't have like thirty bucks left over it at the end of the season. Of course, the guy who did that in our league last year we clowned on him. He was in his first auction. He won the freaking league. But like, ultimately that is not a winning strategy. Okay, you have to spend your money. That being said, you also have a finite number of roster spots, so you have two versions of currency in an auction draft. You have your allocated budget and you have your roster spots. So like it doesn't matter if you got if you got values on a bunch of like one to two dollars, guys, if you fill your roster, you know, you don't get extra roster spots to fill that with. So Number one, it's leaving money on the table. It's not utilizing what I call the hammer. When you have the hammer, you want to you want to kind of wax and wane between having the hammer and then going back to.
Speaker 5: The lower lower part of the board.
Speaker 2: On remaining money. That's kind of how I think people should do it with auctions. But I mean, in general, just one thing that I have put in my plan every single year, and I'm going to continue to put in my plan every single year.
Speaker 5: I am just going to.
Speaker 2: Copy and paste it right over from last year. I've done this for six years and I'm going to continue to do it. There is no.
Speaker 5: Reason ever to spend more than one dollar on a kick or defense.
Speaker 2: No reason to do it unless unless it's like your last roster spot and you know you have two dollars left and you just want to get out. That's fine, that's that's that's one thing to do. The other thing to do is when you have only one or two roster spots left and you have a player you really want, always make your maximum bid, and if somebody outbids your maximum bid, so be it.
Speaker 5: But you lead with.
Speaker 2: Your maximum bid. The final one or two roster spots is not the time to mess around with the money you have left over. If there is one or two players you want and you know I need to get one of these two guys. You make your maximum bid. If somebody out bids you, so be it. But you god. Not making your maximum bid and then getting out bid from a bid that you could have matched is the worst feeling in an auction when it happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's something that when you're down to those last couple of roster spots, it doesn't matter what your last one or two guys are, if you get that one player you really want and messing around, like you said, it's an awful feeling when you mess around. And I talk about that sometimes with people who like the market price in force or like to bid people up. You make that mistake at the high levels and it really ruined your draft.
Speaker 5: It it can kill you. One more line, Drew you you, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry I'm talking over you, and you brought something up to my mind. Never get into bidding war for a player unless you're okay winning that bidding war.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, never do it.
Speaker 2: Like if you if you were like, oh, I let's just for instance, say I hate Derek Henry this year, which I don't, but just let's just say, for instance, I do, but oh man, he's only thirty two bucks, even though I already have my number one running back.
Speaker 5: That's too low.
Speaker 2: Somebody's gonna get I got to bid him up so he gets to forty seven, forty eight dollars, and then you get him. Well, now you have somebody you clogging your roster that you didn't want, and you have somebody taking part of taking your budget away, and now you don't have budget to spend on players who actually want. That is a huge mistake. Do not, like you said, price and force. Do not do that unless you are comfortable winning the bidding war. If somebody else gets a value, so be it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's that's That's a great way to finish there, because you have when you're doing auctions, you have to get comfortable with people getting deals. It's just gonna happen. Just shrug and move on. Say hey, great play. Because you can't take every deal. You just can, and you referenced it earlier. Your roster will look worse if you try to take every deal. Okay, well, let's end the show, because gosh, this is flown by I think we could do three hours just talking auctions. But I want to get a couple of your opinions on specific guys. This is what my audience loves. So let's start with a couple of fades, some guys that you're just really not that interested in right now. You know, I know it's early July, but what are you thinking right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really really I'm really really squeamish on chrysal Lave. I know he made me look wrong last year, and credit to him, he had an incredible season. But the concussion history, the fact that Jordan Tyson has been drafted, and another thing that's kind of scaring me as people kind of propping up the Saints is like this year's kind of under the radar hot team. That scares me a little bit. There's players going around Chris Alave at the running back position, at the wide receiver position who I like more. I think I like Nico Collins a little bit more. Like I said, I think T Higgins is one of my favorite players to draft in all of fantasy football right now. A player who I am I am very squeamish on as well is Jeremiah Love. Like I said, I love the player. I am going to have some shares in best ball and obviously, if I had the number one overall pick in Dynasty, I would be taking Jeremiah Love. Nonetheless, I am scared to death that the Cardinals are going to look at the running backs they have on their roster and say Tyler Lgb's to cat one hundred and fifty carries and that would absolutely kneecap Jeremiah Love's value. So at the top of the board, those are two guys who I am a little bit scared on at the who are kind of high priced, who I'm I'm not really thrill old about drafting.
Speaker 5: At their cost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the love thing scares me too, because I don't think the offensive line's very good, the defense could be pretty bad, and if they run with a three man committee back there, it's going to be ugly for fantasy.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you one other guy who burned people last year, even though his final stats look pretty good. I have not been able to get myself to click on is Travon Henderson good.
Speaker 1: I've been able to get.
Speaker 2: Myself to click on him at all, And I understand the ways that can make me look stupid. You know, you look at that buffalo game late last season, that that thirty five thirty one shootout when he had three touchdowns, and you're like, man, that looks like Devon chanon me, that looks like that kind of field tilting player. But the lack of third down stuff, the way they trust Romandre Stevenson in those situations, and Mondrick's still there, you know. And then then now they have aj Brown, they have Romeo Dobbs, so the passing game should be better. Yeah, Trayvon Henderson is kind of one of those middle round players I've had a hard time clicking on. And somebody who's probably gonna go for above twenty dollars in your auction just because of the running back position. That scares me a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again in sharp rooms, they're not gonna let him go for under twenty. He's just not gonna You're never gonna find value in a sharp room on him. Okay, well, let's end on a positive note. How about a couple of guys. I'm gonna ban t Higgins from this category. You've already talked much talked about him a bunch. Yeah, that's all right, that's all right. Now talk about whoever you want. Who are you liking right now.
Speaker 2: So a player who I didn't mention earlier, but you talked about like the tier of player. I just kind of gathered in the way you were talking that you must be a David Montgomery guy this year.
Speaker 1: I am. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I liken that.
Speaker 2: Very similarly to how Joe Mixon was getting drafted two years ago when he landed in Houston, obviously before all the crap went down and he has the mystery injury and he'll never play football again, it looks like at this point, but for like three months, Joe Mixon was an awesome value with the Houston Texans, and you look at what they did to the assets they used to acquire David Montgomery were real assets. You know that they gave up some good picks for him, and I think they really want to really want to get back to running the ball well. They did not do it well at all last year. Woody Marks is not that kind of player. David Montgomery, I think, is a great running back that you can add to Nobody's going to be excited to draft him, right And I think you can win in an auction by drafting the right guys that nobody's excited to draft.
Speaker 1: Yes, Joe, you're preaching my language.
Speaker 2: So like, I don't like unless David Montgomery is really comes off the board, And I guess it's possible where he comes off the board as like the twenty second running back in your auction, and it's very clear that he's the only guy left who has bell cow potential. I'm sure there could be a bidding more, but I don't think anybody's going to be excited about it, you know, Like David Montgomery is one of my guys who I think you can execute a lot of strategies with him. I wonder if Kenny Gainwell is getting a little bit too expensive in the zero RB realm just because people hate Bucky after last year and what's going on with him. But he's a player who I drafted quite a bit of early in the off season, and I wonder, you know, Ryan Heath did an article right next to me. Zane Denani at Fantasy Points just did an article for us that broke down why guys who run deep routes a lot are not the boom guys. It's actually the guys who run more shorter routes that boom more often than those guys. Just they're more consistent and they have higher ceilings. This is a lower end wide receiver. But I wonder will Alec Pierce's role change all that much without Michael Pittman there, and if it changes all that if it doesn't change all that much. Can you get Josh Downs for like two bucks? And Josh Downs is gonna catch seventy passes?
Speaker 5: I think that's.
Speaker 3: Possibly maybe not at the King's Classic, but yes, you can get him at your home leagues for a couple of bucks. Well, hey, man, this is great. I Like I said, we could talk for three hours about auctions. But I know my audience is going to love this. And it's been a lot of fun chatting with you, Joe. Anytime we get together and talk auctions. Yeah, you always make me feel good because we think a lot of the same things. So yeah, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: I can just run my freaking mouth like crazy talking this stuff. But I mean, Drew, We're gonna have to have some auction talk on the Sunday Sunday afternoon show on Sirius XM. And I'll have you on the morning show when when you're all from.
Speaker 5: Your day job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, man, I can I can absolutely do that, and this has been a whole lot of fun. Just tell everybody where they can find you on socials and where they can find your work.
Speaker 2: At fg Underscore Dolan on Twitter. I post on Instagram, but not really a whole lot of fantasy stuff. I'm at Joe Dolan Fantasy There or Dolan Fantasy Points. I forget which one. That's how much I use Instagram. But you can also find all of my work on series on my audio work on Series XM Morning Show, which are going to seven to nine starting on July sixth, the Fantasy Points YouTube channel, the Fantasy Points Betting YouTube channel where I host the Best bet Show with Tom Brawley and the Motion Man. We've had John Hanson on there, and some of my written work, including on my auction draft plane, will be up at fantasypoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Well I'm looking forward to reading that auction plan and everybody else should be too. So thanks again to Joe Dolan from Fantasy Points. This has been a fun discussion and lightning giving us a lot of things to think about here just a couple weeks away from training camp. Thanks again to Fantasy Points for bringing me on as part of the team. And giving me a show. I hope to make you proud. So that's been another week of discussions with Drew. All Right, that's going to wrap up. Another week of discussions with Drew. As we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday Morning Solo Time and the Auction Brief. Mike, thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 4: The Auction Brief is adjourn that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief.