Speaker 1: With Laurent's segle And from London and Gerard Reid from Berlin.
Speaker 2: This is Redefining Energy Today.
Speaker 3: On Redefining Energy, we're going to talk about the bankability of battery storage investments and the podcast is based on a panel discussion that Laurent was involved in a Solar Power Europe's event in Brussels in May twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, Lauren, if I remember, you were with Friedrich Sandberg and Hannah Kunzman. Friedrich is from RWE and Hannah's from EQT and a really interesting discussion in and around as I said, batteries, stationary store origin. What's going on there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also a lot of conversation around cove, new models, around regulation, around technology. So we thank power Job for organizing all this world Boga, the wonderful team, and it's probably time to listen to the conversation.
Speaker 3: Bringing on.
Speaker 4: Welcome to this panel. So we're in Brussels, it's a Cellar Power Europe and have the privilege to share a great conversation around bankability of storage project. My name is Lawrence. Again. You might know my voice because I'm the co host of the Really Funning Energy podcast. I have the privilege to introduce my guest, two heavyweights of the storage industry, Frederick Andred Sandberg from WE and Anna Kuzman from EQT. WE is investing ten billion for storage and flexible assets over the next five years and to expand to six gigawatts and that is twenty five percent of the overall capex. As for EQT, a Swedish investment fund, they have a twenty billion Infrastio six funds to scale massive development and they have a pipeline of sixteen gigawad of storage. So please welcome our guests. We have decided to slice the conversation around four main topics of bankability. The first one's going to be about the technology, the second one about of new models modetization, the third one about regulation and the fourth, if we have time, around the digital layer. So the first question I'm going to ask technology, what do you like as technology to invest in? What is bankable?
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for bringing us to this panel. I also found it interesting how inticative we are in Europe. We have a German person working for Swedish company and then a Swedish person working for Germ companies. Also shows how well Europe is is working in a moment. When I look at the technology, we do actually see storage to be quite mature. So I mean we do have the foreseeable how they degrade us. So I think the main problem is not the technology moment, as long as it can be ensued and we have the revenue certainty and then I think is definitely bankable. And I mean, as we also see how the anty landscape is developing in Europe, storage is simply needed. We see that with the large scale a lot of renewables which is not needed for anty security and other reasons, we simply need storage to back this up. We need storage of flex plaster to make sure that we can actually integate the renewables that we so desperately need to build.
Speaker 2: I agree for us, we understand the technology to be broadly proven and to be modelable. And you know what an investor at the end of the day wants and needs is that that certainty of long term revenue contribution and also the certainty of operation ensurability, bankability. What we see, and this is all going a bit outside of the topic of you know, lithium iron or not lithium iron, is we see an MN shift towards longer duration where we still see the supply chain in the economics developing over time. I mean we think sill the very market's becoming more and more crowded by market. So we saw the same in the UK, We see the same that happening in Germany. We see a shift in our portfolios from a one to two to two to four and then ultimately eat our battery where we just need to also have more commercialization options come intact with the need that we see from the market and also quite frankly, if we are all seeking to transition to a green future, that is what we require right in order to get to baselope, we will require longerteration storage and that needs to be economic and make sense of turch strategy and a technology perspective as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because one of the issue that the battery as is a lot of the professional come from the wind and solar universe with a type of mindset like okay, you put the asset. Okay, maybe you're going to change your gearbox once every never all blade, or you're going to clean your sell up bandle once in a while. But the battery is a different animal. It's every day you need to every hour, every minute, you need to check what's going on. So there is this evolution that we're seeing in the management of batteries. The bank ability is not just at a FID, it's the bank ability along the life of the battery. And unfortunately we see that those equipment which are ten years old. I've got a ten years old sol our farms are okay, fine, but a ten year old battery, I'm starting to freak out.
Speaker 1: Correct I like, there's also been a bit of an evolution in the holy space for batteries. And as you say, I mean it's a very different beast compared to solar and window. I mean a windows, it's it's a mechanical energy, right, and solar is physics. Here it's chemistry. You need to manage chemistry for for many, many years, so we know how chemistry can react. On that other hand, we're quite used to these cameras assets in our company as well. We have other conventional assets. We of course need maintenance and people working on them every day. So with the other toes of bankability, we do believe that we have a good idea on the degrading factors of the assets. We also understand how take me assured and all understand how to operate them. So I think it's definitely bankable then, of course, I mean if you look at the whole space now, we see that only roughly twenty percent of all the renewables that need to be built out towards twenty fifty has been built out for batteries. Are not sure about the exact percentage, but it means that we'll still need to build a whole lot of batteries and storage going forward. I'm also sure that there will be evolution on the technology front here, so the chemist system used today will probably evolve into other systems and then we need to learn from those as well. But overall, we're quite confident that these you know, will work and it's reliable enough to be bank.
Speaker 2: And to beigg back on that we need to have also that reflected in the permitting. So when we plan projects, and we've just recently approved quite a few tso ultra high voltage projects in Germany where you lead, times are frankly three years under transformers and the substations, and as such, in those three years you've already ordered equipment, you have ideally already told the asset. You kind of locked in on your unit economics, but there can be a shift in technology for the better. There is a potential to maybe improve some of these economics. And so ideally a battery which is something we would order twelve to eighteen months before COD versus a transformer thirty six months before COD. There needs to be an ability, ideally in the permitting, so we can change which containers who are essentially putting there. For example, power density going up and us being able to put four hours instead of two hours, that will be positive to the grid. It would be something the TSLOS like to see because we're less playing in the in the ancilliary markets, or it becomes less of an importance in a multi stacked revenue stream. But if the permitting then says no, you've permitted technology A and on that hour system and the containers are two meters times x meters, you can't change that. That gets a bit rigid and I think we need to reflect that as opposed to SOLO, which is a twelve month of construction cycle. We see construction batteries, especially in large scale projects above one hundred megrow, it's really as a three year, long term project with that certainty also necessary and that certainly for me, also goes into regulation. Regulation and batteries needs to be for changes that we discuss now on regulation, it affects a twenty thirty battery and then twenty twenty nine battery, So just to bring that also on top very one's mind, and it's a long term game. And when we discuss adverse regulation, it goes into the technology question as well, just because of the as a cast that we're in.
Speaker 4: Okay, so before we move into the next chapter, I'm gonna ask your last question. Please answer by yes or no. It's very bigate yes or no.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I'm able to do that, but let's say yes.
Speaker 4: Of course you can't, but you're still going to do it. And the question is decide LFP batteries. Do you have any other technology that you see bankable and scalable in the next two years?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Actually I don't know, good, Hannah, not yet for me.
Speaker 4: So it's a no. Basically technologically to ship as sailed, that's very interesting. It means the technology stable. Okay. Good. So now let's go into a much more dynamic universe, which is the universe of revenue, monetization and so on. And we have the privilege of having anna. We're trying to investing in batteries or trying to find some tolling or long term revenue. And here at the w with doing everything, of course, because you're so big, but you are also buying flexibility as a service. Maybe start with an explain when you're going to invest the collocated and the stand alone is a bit of different animal, but let's start with the stand alone battery. Explain what's your revenue strategy in order to get the project more bankable? Please?
Speaker 2: In order to answer that worth taking a tiny step back and explaining. So EQT, as mentioned, is an asset manager who is majorly managing the money of pension funds and insurances, so very large scale institution investors with three and ared billion AM of which seventy billion is an infront and we have across Europe thirty gig or what hours of installed battery or a near term pipeline that's coming to turn. And because we have this institutional asset base, we're not a merchant trader, or it could be opportunities where we do that, but our investors really want us to toll and show long term certainty of cash loss, and across Europe we make it dependent on what is available in the market. For example, we have floora agreements in the UK across our portfolio company Zetera. We have tolls in Germany across Celestia and units in the Nordics we have a mix of everything you can imagine across OIX two and Celestra, and then in the South we also do a lot of hybrid PPA. So it depends on what off take market is there. But we see it support bankability and provide the necessary visibility that our investors really need and require. And we see the economics today be intact still on the capex that we need to bring up and the ever degrading cost of equipment and a tolling market which is establishing, and we've been able to sign of what we believe to be the first operating toll last year with units in Germany. That being said, for US, we typically toil away the majority of the asset, but not all given we want to leave some flexibility also for downtimes, for maintenance and all of these things, and invoid unnecessary penalty payments. But if you have a broader portfolio can even remove that a bidding and be even more optimistic if you are able to hype like synthetically pool your batteries into a portfolio and thereby shift load from one to another for example. Broadly, as a main statement, it's a multi market strategy in all of the markets that we're in. And for me, it is important to if you told the asset, find someone where one it is competitive against a merchant off takers, so to say, and you also for the merchant piece that you have, have a good optimizer that you also benchmark against indecs and also ideally across the portfolio against each other, just to be sure that you're twenty or thirty percent that you have in a portfolio of merchant revenues also getting traded in the most appropriate way. Where then technology also is a factor that comes back in on the energy management systems.
Speaker 1: We also have a different studies across the different marketer zone. What we see is that if you look at power markets in Indian I mean so yes, we see that storage is long term needed, it is something that should be profitable in this markets, but we also see that there's a lot of intervention. See the market. So we see a relulatory into invention. We're seeing it in the past couple of weeks and months in different coundra zone. And that also means that it's very hard to forecast what kind of volatility we see the markets, but what kind of arbitrage will we have so reaskly we can't really control because it's a political risk where some government goes in and do something to market in three years time, we simply have no protection if we only have merchant revenue, for instance. So when we look at all those markets, we do believe that there should be some kind of relatory support for the assets. Otherwise I think it will be very difficult for anybody long term to invest in them. And then, of course you will have different agreements, you will have total agreements, you will have different things to the risk. But a big part of risk sits on the relatory side and the political side, and that is something that simply needs to be managed by the bailer.
Speaker 4: I believe we playbook. They always need government support when things go bad and when things go up is for the shareholders.
Speaker 1: We're a big player, but I don't think the economics looks anything different from us than it does for other players. I mean, you need to have a long term certainty this as it will stand there for decades hopefully. It's really for difficult to focus what will happen in the in decade?
Speaker 4: Yeah, future is difficult to forecast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially the future, especially the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, good, good. So basically everybody's trying to put some long term edge over the short term flexibility. And the banks, of course, you know you have a good toning agreement, they're going to lend you I don't know, eighty percent or whatever. If you're a merchant, I think they give you forty percent of eighty percent max. Okay, now to your favorite topic, everything that goes wrong. Regulation. Let's talk about how regulation is affecting bankability. I know you want to start first.
Speaker 1: I love regulation, Yeah, I know. So we're in the power market, that's the powermark business, and it's deeply regulator for good reasons. We're not selling hot dogs, We're selling something that needs to be functioning one hundred percent of all the hours of the year. So a lot of relation is helpful, I must first say, but there are some which is not. I think that grid cues is one of those things that really is making life difficult for many of us. We used to come from a very static system and then it was really about first come, first serve when it comes to the grid. But that also means that now we have a huge build up of porests that can really be well, that are not bankable, that it's not really verdical to construct. And there is some work now being done to sort of dix these Greek queues, and I think that is key because we need to be able to make sure that those protests that can be built can get online fast or the one that is needed, and we need to do something about this so they can be constructed.
Speaker 4: You're really a regulation expert. Explain to me why greed fees are not the same in different countries. Why certain countries decide to apply fees of a certain leven and other not even the relationship, say, oh, is a battery a battery? What is a battery? Is it degenerating? Is it consuming? Doing to charge? In charge? Y?
Speaker 1: Well, twenty seven member states in Europe, they don't all treat it DEAs the same. And also like hey, colocate, how can you bundlessen songs? I mean, yes, it is a bit of a I don't want to say we're a mess, but I do a bit of a mess, and I think that a bit more lned approach across Europe could definitely be helpful. And that, of course, I mean there will also be differences because you have different ground circumstances. The need for batteries in Sweden is very different from the need of battery in Germany, for instance. Of course it will be differences, but I think a lot more things can be aligned.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about batteries is that it's the only unsubsidized asset class in the energy space, at least in Germany, and that's something that I am very proud of being in As an industry, I fundamentally believe that we should make energy investments attractive to private markets on a standard one basis, and battery have been able to so far in Germany to do that in Germany just for I know many of us probably know it, but we have an upfront payment that we pay in order to get the grid connection, which is quite sizable. It's grown over time. It's now as much as say one hundred k Pomegawa is I would even say the average at this point and then we do have grid charges that are coming in, they're unknown in size and methodology. Today here we have an interlope of issues which we need to address, and I think we need to just have a very open and transparent discussion with the regulators. One for me is we can't just change the world today and apply it tomorrow, because, as I said, projects are three years ahead. A project that I've signed and improved the capaxon a few months ago will be built in twenty twenty nine. So if we now change the regulation and that project might be uneconomical, we're essentially hurting institutional capital, those who we should protect as a society. We're hurting pensioners and insurance funds. For me, that fundamentally is my believe. So that's one the timing of regulation. Okay with the twenty twenty nine dead line, but it's completely distorted the market. It's led to a run on pre twenty nine connection that's created that massive queue that grid operators have to handle. And I also find sympathy in that. Quite frankly, if you're a grid operator now having to handle one hundred gigawat QUEU where you know there will only be ten or fifteen Gigawa being built by twenty thirty. You are completely overwhelmed and you're trying to grasp for air. Making the entire market unprofitable might not be the path forward given in my mind, we need batteries in order to be able to have a green energy system that provides sufficient based out. And so what I think is frankly just a very open discussion which is going on at the moment where they'll regulator proposed the solution of how to handle grid fees. We push back and it comes to a system that is both sustainable in a private capital perspective and for the grid operator to provide sufficient funding in order to build out the network. The other point we should touch on is the flexible connection agreements that we see in Germany come in. I personally don't have any issues with an FCA agreement if it's known ahead of time. If they tell me that there is in a wind area where you're not able to feed in during dec and these wind hours, I'm okay to price that end the project might be uneconomical, but as long as I have not spent CAPEX, I'm okay with that. Again, what I struggle with and what I think the entire investment scene struggles with is if things are applied after you've given the go ahead on spending money, and that is something we need to discuss very openly and raise against with the regulators, just because it's two different ways of thinking. One is a three ahead thinking, one is a all God migrant is under stress, I need to act now thinking. So those two worlds just need to come together, and I see a completely walkable path that is in front of us.
Speaker 4: Okay, So talking about the change of regulation, we are very recently the EU Open Commission I don't know who who decided that Chinese inverters are not welcome anymore, which is a bit of a problem, especially if you have a three year development cycle. So how as asset owner you react to this type of very rapid change which come out of I don't know security. They're going to name it whatever they want, but it's very abrupt. Do you have any comment to make?
Speaker 1: First of all, when it's coming out of nowhere, that's really the issue, right because then you can't really plan. So we need to have long term certainly for these things. So that's the general relatory thing that we need. Long term time certainty and stability. This specific news that came out, it was not regarding the funding from EU based programs has a special regulation for chinesea inverters. When we look at our asset base, I mean we have a huge asset base. We have everything from gas to legunite, we used to have nuclear power and zone. So we take cybersecurity super seriously. But we haven't really found a strong correlation between the origin of the inverter and the safety of them, So I mean we would take the super seriously. We need to make sure our assets are safe. But I think it's also important that we have a dialogue with the regulator about these things to make sure that we're well reformed decisions on points. But of course we should be cautious blackouts in the future due to cybersecurity well practice song so it's important, but we need more certainty and dialogue for.
Speaker 2: Me personally, the permitting that needs to be intact. If we have a project which is permitted with a different equipment, then if there's a regulation change, there needs to be an adjustment in a way that building permits can be without delay to the project to be adjusted. If one regulation, one politician makes a decision which I understand and find sympathy and we're coming from I don't agree or disagree. Then on the other hand, the people that are working on our permits need to have an understanding that that requires us to repermit projects. I would love to have more coordination of different departments and more intact movement. As a general statement, certainty, predictability, and being able to react on changes is required in order to make solid and long term investment decisions.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're very polite.
Speaker 1: And I think that's really the key what we just say are so we need the very very high standards for cybersecurity and these kind of things, but we need to tell this standards uniform and uniformly applied. So as long as we have high standards make sure that they do what we want them to do, then we should let those regulations steer and not to take the decision on a certain origins on.
Speaker 4: Okay, and now we go to the last chapter, which is in my opinion, the most interesting and the one where the bank ability is very difficult because we go in the realm of digital and batteries are digital animal because as we said, we need to check on them. Twenty four to seven. I remember I had a battery and the guy he blew off the five G connection, so we were blind with no idea what was going on inside the battery. And after two weeks he called it the it that's not working. Yeah, so you need to send a technician and of course after ten seconds it put it back on. And ninety percent and the represent of the problems of batteries can be fixed in the cloud and only a few percent needs to be physically help. So BMS ems cloud management that starts to impact into bankability. Difficult question, but try to have an educated answer.
Speaker 2: Do you need to have the interface is managed in order to be able to get proper insurance, to be able to have proper claims, especially if you start toiling your asset and you potentially have penalties if you're not available, and the interface matrix and topics become a super important point. Digital for us is even beyond that an important topic in sourcing the batteries. I mean you can find onlineg wuage interconnections still have some capacity, for example, so that becomes a very interesting path. Then in order to be able to trade your battery, probably you have to have good systems and they're ever evolving. However, from a risk perspective to your questional makability from me the interface matrix and really having that done before you put the battery into the field, having predictive maintenance that you can monitor from the cloud. All of that alow early on and certified and maybe spending top dollar and that is worth quite a lot in the long term because your act needs to run for fifteen to twenty years now.
Speaker 4: But for instance, you have a new most of you you have large park. Is there a decisions? Okay, same MEMS everywhere or same EMS in each country, regardless of the supplier. We want our ems, want to control a EMS or you just say the EMS come with the battery and we'll deal with it. How do you decide to do it? And if you don't know, it's fine, just say.
Speaker 1: In general, just another aspect of the asset. So I mean, we need to have the physical working batteries and we need to have digital working better. I mean, so the digitalization as such is a large inconvenience. I mean it's a bit cost driver as well. The cost driver something that is making it cheap. But we can now operate this asset from afar. We can do it very precisely and it brings a lot of benefit. But with all technology, if it doesn't work, then then you have an issue. I don't think we see this slum a separate issue, but it's a part of the assets, one of the big important aspects of it.
Speaker 4: Good. We have a few minutes left, so I'm going to ask each of you the same question, which is very simple. How do you see the evolution of bankability by the end of the decade. What will change in the concept of battery bankability in a few years' time? Wants to start.
Speaker 2: We have already done light speed steps in the last two years. Betteries two to three years ago was definitely a VC growth equity kind of investment. Now it's really infrastructure for me. By twenty thirty it is core infrastructure. It's becoming like renewables today, fully understood revenue models, maybe sometimes also a bit subsidized long term storage potential, so able to diversify your revenue stream from a commercial offtaker and from kind of governmental exposure. So it will become even more bankable in my mind, and even more understood, to the point.
Speaker 5: Where the natural buyer of these assets will gradually decrease in the kind of cost of capital to be at the very end, the ultimate inefficient cost of capital, which is very institutional long term capital that we'll go into the field, which makes it both bankable and financable for the long term.
Speaker 2: Then it becomes we have a system based view. Energy is inherently system based. It becomes a very known and long term component of how we run our energy systems across Europe.
Speaker 1: I'm very much in optimists, and I believe that we have the ability to learn, and I think that is what we'll see in the coming years as well. So batteries will go from a quite an exciting asset to a bit more of a boring asset. We will treat it as just any our assets, so as you say with solar panels, where wind farmers were gus as we have good assets, and now we have batteries. I think our understanding will evolve on how they work and how they should be in shortness on and then will treat it as a bit more of a boring common asset that we have in our system, which is necessary for us to finish the envy of transition.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a wrap up. So I like to the panel and please upload them because it was a great conversation.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to Redefining Energy. Don't forget to rate the show and subscribe on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or the platform of your choice.