Speaker 1: From the range to the field. CZ firearms are built to perform when it counts. Known for accuracy, durability, and reliability, CZ stands apart. CZ built for those who demand more. CZ Firearms dot Com.
Speaker 2: Upgrade your optic with Hollisen, where innovation meets precision. With fifty thousand hours of battery life, shake awake technology and a solar failsafe, your optic is always ready when you are holosen confidence in every shot.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to gun Talk, Tom Gresham. Here, you are our number here. It's pretty easy to remember, Tom Talk gun easy as that. If you've been doing a little shooting, you're taking a new gun out, maybe an old gun. We want to hear about it, share your stories, because yeah, that's all we're doing is sitting around the digital campfire here and swapping tails. You know, everybody needs ambo because you got to feed these beasts, right. It's okay to buy new guns, but you also got to feed up. I tell people you know on the machine guns, like owing a great day, and you got to feed it all the time. We should also be a little lucky, so we're trying right now. Dan Walden, he's the CEO of ammunition depot.
Speaker 4: Man, you like that? Think about the machine gun? Huh I do?
Speaker 5: I do, Tom, Thanks for having me. And you know, I say the same thing. Your guns are hungry. You got to feed them. They get sad in the safe, sitting.
Speaker 6: There all alone.
Speaker 4: You here.
Speaker 6: You don't want to do it out here. You got to get them out. Yeah, you gotta get him out. You got to feed them, you gotta exercise them.
Speaker 4: There It is all right. So what's the story? What is the ammunition depot? Where does this come from? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sure, so ammunition depot.
Speaker 5: We've been in the market for fifteen years and we really just saw the need for the easy ability, good quality, good selection, but most importantly, great customer service.
Speaker 6: So there were certainly many people out.
Speaker 5: There that were already selling ammunition onlines, the big names that everybody knows, But where we saw a need in the market was on customer service that just won't quit. And so when I talk about this, one of the things that I say all the time is no reasonable person will leave an interaction with ammunition deeople and happy. And the reason for that is not because we're perfect. Nobody's perfect. When we mess up, we own it and we fix it. It's really not a hard thing to do. It's just expensive and we've decided that it's worth doing.
Speaker 3: But you also have to be willing. You have to say, Okay, this is going to be our core value. This is what we're going to do, is we're going to try to make sure that everybody is satisfied and do whatever it takes to get there. Tell me about the company and ammunition, Deepert, what do you guys have?
Speaker 4: What do you do? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure, so we're one of the larger online suppliers of ammunition, firearms and shooting accessories. So, as the name would indicate, ammunition is a very large part of the business, but we do other things also, firearms and shooting accessories, magazines, reloading equipment, gear, you know, all of these kinds of things.
Speaker 6: But our red and Butter is ammunition.
Speaker 4: We've got a.
Speaker 5: Great selection and near the best pricing in the market across everything that we do. We don't try to be absolutely the best best price in the market on every product because if you do, you can't provide the appropriate level of customer service. So our internal reviews show that we're among the fifteen percent best on everything that we sell.
Speaker 6: In the market, and that's really where we strive to be.
Speaker 5: We want to be there for our customers forever, not just when things go crazy, and not just when things aren't crazy.
Speaker 6: Like now and we're in a more normal, you know market.
Speaker 4: Price.
Speaker 3: You know, I look at price. Everybody looks at prices online. Very nine millimeters is twenty three cents or twenty four cents or whatever it is, you know, and with people will strain to try to say one or two cents around.
Speaker 5: It's exactly right, and you can bend over backwards and go to whoever.
Speaker 6: Maybe happens to be cheapest that week, and you know, risk that if something goes wrong, they're not going.
Speaker 5: To be there, and that they're not going to have what you need and they're not going to be able to stay behind their product. But the other thing that we do, and it's a good point that people kind of driving ten miles to save a penny on a tank a guess we all know that the prices are going to move in this market.
Speaker 6: When people panic and there's panic buying out there, the prices go up. And we actually hate those environments.
Speaker 5: Our customers are not happy paying those rates for ammunition we're not really so happy selling them there either.
Speaker 6: The reason we have to.
Speaker 5: Sell them there is because our costs go up when that happens. And so we have been working across our entire fifteen year history to kind of innovate and bring as much value as we possibly can to our customers.
Speaker 6: And we're not really ready to announce this yet.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to tease a little bit, but in the coming weeks, we're going to be releasing a product, a new way for customers to buy ammunition so that they can build an ammunition reserve now in a normal market price environment, so that they do not have to participate in the panic buying when things go crazy, and they'll know that they have access to ammunition that was reasonably priced from somebody that they can trust.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, you and I have never talked before. There's call. I am just gonna I'm going to make a guess here. Okay, sure you can confirm or not confirm. But I have been saying for ten plus years to everybody who would listen in investing, they call it dollar cost averaging, and buy a little bit, buy a little bit, buy a little bit. I've been telling people, do the exact same thing on your AMMO by one hundred grounds, one hundred rounds. You know, when the prices are up by a little bit, when the prices are down by a little bit, before you know what, you're going to turn out and go, Wow, I've got a whole bunch of AMMO here, and I don't really care what the price fluctuation is. Am I getting close.
Speaker 6: You're a smart man, You're very very close.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: In the innovation that we've brought there, you know, really relies on the trust that we've built with our customer base. So the big problem with what you've talked about is if you want a good price on one hundred grounds, you kind of.
Speaker 6: Have to buy it locally. You can't really buy one hundred rounds online. Have it shipped to you. Doesn't make any sense, no, because of the shipping right and so.
Speaker 5: What we're building here and the game, and there'll be more information in a couple of weeks. Right now, we're in an invite only preview as we kind of work out the bugs, but you'll be able to buy a little bit.
Speaker 6: Like you said, over time, we're going to hold it for you. Oh so it's.
Speaker 3: You've insured yeah, you're but your client to control of the shipping costs that.
Speaker 4: Way, Yep.
Speaker 6: It sits with us until you're ready for it.
Speaker 5: You ask us the ship and then depending on how much ask us the ship and where you want it to ship it there maybe shipping in taxes it needs to be paid at that time, but you won't have to participate in whatever the market price is for the AMMO at that time. So we'll have a lot more information about this coming soon, including the name. But I'm kind of on embargo. I probably said more than my team wants me to say already.
Speaker 3: All right, so what's hot right now? What are people buying in bulk and trying to really stock up on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean to be honest, the bulk items that people stock up on rarely change. And so it is right now nine millimeter FMJ and two two three five five six fifty five grain and it kind of all is. We used to see a lot of people kind of stocking up on twenty two, but that market really isn't as hot as it used to be, and part of it is priced.
Speaker 6: Twenty two has come up quite a bit on price. I think it's close to nine cents.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Right now, And I mean I remember it at three percent. I remember when five cents was a lot, let's put it that way. And maybe dating myself a little bit here, but I think that that's probably part of it, but also that I think people are more focused on stocking up for self defense training, and you know, twenty two is kind of a different beast, right so it's really not considered a self defense round.
Speaker 6: I think that is probably why.
Speaker 5: But I would also say there's a very weird thing happening in the market right now, which your listeners may not have heard of or.
Speaker 6: Heard about at this point.
Speaker 5: It's very odd because I've never quite seen the market like this before.
Speaker 6: There's not a lot of supply in the market.
Speaker 5: So even on like nine and two two three, which are the most common they probably make up depending on the business, between fifty and eighty percent of the revenue of a business selling M is going to be in nine and two two three. It's not a lot of that coming from the major manufacturers in the marketplace.
Speaker 6: Yet. Prices haven't really moved, which is good for the consumer, but it's not normal Normally when there's not.
Speaker 5: A lot of supply coming, prices go up so I will openly admit I have no idea what is going on, Tom, but it.
Speaker 6: Is kind of a weird thing.
Speaker 5: And if we're going to talk about, you know, where the market is and what people are stocking up on or not, I would put that out there for your listeners. And I suppose the point of all that is we are in a normal market price environment right now, but we never know how long it's going to last. Yeah, I don't like to participate in fear monitoring, and I'm not doing that here.
Speaker 6: I truly don't know. But the market is weird right now.
Speaker 3: Well to your point though, but if you have a shortage or at least the availability is not what it has been on which you think it should be, logically one would say there is at least a decent chance at some point the prices are going to be adjusted to allow for that market consideration and going okay, now there's prices could go up. It's what we're talking about. So it's when prices are low and they are now. Look, if you've been buying animal for thirty years, prices are.
Speaker 6: Not lower, they don't seem well, But then again.
Speaker 3: You also can't buy a car for what you could buy it four for thirty years ago, so it's kind of the same.
Speaker 6: Paid five and a half dollars for gallon milk today?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right, all right, So tell me this. What's the story with Dan Wolgen. Where did you come from? How did you get into this thing?
Speaker 5: I've got to I guess a very weird story from that perspective. I grew up in Pennsylvania, right outside of Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Uh, And I.
Speaker 5: Grew up in a very suburban area, so not like we were going out back and hunting. But my family was involved in the shooting sports. My father was a hunter, and I was exposed to it.
Speaker 6: I actually, you're not gonna believe this.
Speaker 5: I've gone to Utah to hunt antelope. I've never gone white tail deer hunting. I have tried and tried and tried growing up.
Speaker 6: It's crazy. It's really odd.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: I would set it up every year, and whatever weekend had happened to fall on, the guys I was going with were all snowplowd drivers, and it would snow and they would all have to go and work and the hunt will get canceled. This happened, I don't know, maybe four or five times something or other thing that ultimately canceled the hunt. So I found that really very funny. I still remember practicing, you know, I'd never really been shooting. I had a Mosburg smooth barrel that I was shooting slugs out of. This is what I was going to take to go deer hunting. And I remember I found an outdoor range. I went up by myself. I must have shot fifty sixty rounds of twelve gage.
Speaker 6: Man. I couldn't move the next day. It was almost a good thing that I got canceled. My whole right shoulder and chest were all bruised.
Speaker 5: You know, I didn't have anybody there at that point, unfortunately, to teach me. So anyway, fast forward, many many years, through many different avenues. I was actually educated as an engineer, and then I worked in finance for some time, and then I was able, lucky enough to join the founders of this company, Ammunition Depot, who were growing like crazy and needed some more bodies there to help. And over the years have become the CEO and also the owner of Ammunition Depot. So I've been firmly entrenched in this industry and this culture for over fifteen years. Now, but I'd say it all started. I'm actually, while we're talking about this, from any things.
Speaker 6: When I was a kid, I built a flip lock pistol from a kid with my dad. I remember that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: That's probably the first exposure that I had to this world was that, and then here we are.
Speaker 6: Who would have thunk it?
Speaker 4: Well, Ded?
Speaker 3: I like the approach you say, Look, we may not be the cheapest, we're going to be real close to the cheapest, but we are going to be the best. We're going to take care of you, and you're going to enjoy your relationship with us, and if there's a problem, we'll own up to it and we'll take care of you.
Speaker 4: That's a I think that's a very enlightened approach.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that, and I'll just say because my team will get mad at me if I don't. We may be the cheapest, sure, thank yet a lot of times we will be the cheapest, but not always.
Speaker 6: It's not our primary goal.
Speaker 5: Our primary goal is to ensure that we're running a healthy business, taking care of our customers, and that we're going to be here next year and in five years, and in ten years and fifty years, God willing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, at least from my perspective, I've got to the point where the two cents around or whatever it is, is not worth worrying. If I'm going to get the ship better, what's going to happen? What condition it's going to be in when it gets here? Is the box going to be broken open as your handle's spilling out all over the place. I want to deal with a reputable company that cares. We are that for sure, man, Thank.
Speaker 4: You so much.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it's called ammunition depot. Good luck with the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Man, Thanks, Tom, appreciate it all.
Speaker 4: Right, don't go far. We'll be right back with more gun talk.
Speaker 7: When Ruger set out to build the ultimate pocket pistol, they succeeded. The LCP Max, now paired with a magpool in hands handgun grip, delivers everything you need and nothing you don't. Thirteen rounds of three to eighty in a frame that disappears in your pocket, a tritium front site for fast acquisition, and anti light, secure action fire control you could trust with your life. Ruger's legacy of American innovation reimagine for how you carry today. The LCP MAX with Magpool EHG.
Speaker 8: Whether it's for self defense or everyday carry, a quality Surefire light can be a lifesaver. Surefire builds the most rugged, handheld and weapon mountain lights on the planet, manufactured right here in the USA to give you the upper hand when it counts most. Don't settle for good enough when your life is on the line. Go with a proven performer, Go Surefire. Find your setup at surefire dot com.
Speaker 9: Blackhill's ammunition is now loading a three hundred PRC round with the excellent Hornity two to twelve grain ELDX hunting bull. The new PRC eliminates the unnecessary belt of the three hundred Winchester Magnum and increases the body diameter. The three hundred PRC two twelve ELDX travels at over two eight hundred fifty feet per second with three eight hundred twenty four foot pounds of energy. The result is an optimum combination of accuracy and game stopping performance. Black Hill's ammunition the power of performance.
Speaker 10: Gear up this hunting season with a chance to win the Savage one ten carbon hunter. Topped with a Zeiss V three rifle scope. This lightweight hunting setup pairs a carbon fiber barrel useer adjustable ACU tricker and blackout Sarracote finish with Zeissbright technology delivering at least ninety percent light transmission to help you stay in the hunt. Enter today at gun talk dot com slash win before time runs out.
Speaker 11: Shooting sports Life isn't just about guns. It's about the people, the stories, the competitions, the history, the craftsmanship, the families, the freedom. Whether you're into concealed carry, hunting, long rain, shooting clay targets, or collecting firearms, there's something waiting for you. Watch free today on your smart TV, online or on your phone. Learn more at Shootingsportslife dot com Shooting sports Life where freedom is a lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Oh this is just a quick little side trip. See the story by AWR. Hawkins. This is so A month or two ago, Chicago White Sox support gun control lobbies every Town for Gun Safety. So the Chicago White Sox used an X post to proclaim their support from Mike Bloomberg affiliated every Town for Gun Safety. This is support for the Gun Violence Awareness Day. So the White Sox put out a post on X to support that. The Philadelphia Egos did the same thing. They marked gun Violence Awareness Day with an ex post they changed their team logo colors from green and white to orange and white. Orange is the official color of the Gun Violence Awareness Day. My thought on that is this, I guarantee you that the gun band lobby, the every Town for Gun Safety people went to these sports teams and encouraged their social media people to do something just to support this gun safety measure, and the people involved the sake, well, at the teams, it's a freeviewers throw it out there. Who could object to that, not understanding that this is the gun band lobby. These are the people who want to take away all our guns without a doubt, not overstating it. They clearly say that everyone smile. They'll actually say the quiet part out loud, and you know we can shrug and go, yeah, okay, that's just stupid, or I'm just not going to watch their shows or their games. Okay, But that really doesn't do anything because they don't know why if they feel the impact at all, they don't know what happened. The only way that it has an impact is if we respond directly to them, and every time you see it you respawn with no, you guys are wrong. You have been conned by the gun band lobby. It's why twenty five years ago I created the gun Talk Truth Squad. Our motto is a lie left unchallenged, becomes the truth. Therefore, we will challenge every lie every time we see it, every time we hear it, we will push back. We were not just shrugging, go oh yeah, it's this way it is. It's just the media, it's just the sports teams. They're just all woke. Now, the way you get them to stop doing that is to push back and say, yeah, there's a cost here.
Speaker 4: You think that everybody agrees with you. We don't.
Speaker 3: And if they get a couple of comments, they ignore it. If they get one hundred comments, they start to pay attention. If they get a thousand comments on their websites, on their ex posts and every other place, then somebody internally is going to go, what was that? Who did that? Who thought that was a good idea? Why don't we get our outside of our lane. We're a sports team. Why are we getting involved in these social causes that actually cause us pushback when we can just stay away from it and not suffer any ill effects. I'm not saying they're going to become pro gun.
Speaker 4: We just want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want them to be anti gun. And the only way the only way you do that is with leverage, with force force being in this case social media pressure. And I'm talking about not talking about physical force, okay. And when I created the Gun Talk Truth Squad way back like almost before there was an internet. This is the old school fun stuff stories to tell. The idea was we could we couldn't get into the media. We really didn't have a way when articles were published and such, but newspapers would publish our letters to the editor. So I asked for volunteers. I wanted to get two people in each state. I wanted to have one hundred volunteers who would be the two squad members who would respond with letters to the editor where we could get a positive message out. I asked for one hundred, I got ten thousand, and now it's eighty thousand or whatever it is. It's crazy and why we aren't sending letters to the editor anymore. We are, in fact posting things and hunting down these stories and pushing back. If we don't do it, no one will. If we let a lie, let it, just let it go unchallenged. It becomes the truth. When they say this particular gun is responsible for all these murders. We know it's not true, but if we don't challenge it, it becomes the truth because that's what people hear. They hear it and they believe it. It's why so many people right now if you ask them, if you said, what is an assault weapon, they will say as a machine gun because that's what they've been told over and over again for decades. We know it's not true, but they don't know it's not true. How could they know. So if you say, Okay, I don't have time, I don't have money to be involved another thing, I'm not going to go to the state legislature, I wish you would. But if you're not, you could become an online social gun rights warrior, hunt down these stories and respond to them, and then send the links for these stories to all your friends online and say I need each of you to respond in the comments section. I need each of you to respond with a reply on X to this and believe or not, you may not be on X, which was Twitter. It is now where the media goes. It is now where politicians go to check the pulse to find out what's going on, to get their messages out. It has become the platform for that. Now, if you want to do your stupid cat tricks, you got you know, TikTok and maybe Instagram. Instagram is a bit more grounded. Perhaps maybe, But if you want to have influence with people who have power and have the ability to make changes, X is the place, just just free go over and joint X. If you get there, follow me. I'll give you lots of information. I'll give you a lot of things that you can do to help you become a gun rights online warrior. I am at gun Talk over on X Polity over.
Speaker 4: There, all right, give you a holler eighty six six talk gun Have you been shooting? What have you been shooting? I'll give you my arrange reportant we come back. I'm Tom Greshtan.
Speaker 3: This this gun talk, all right. I got a lot of things to talk about. I got a couple of guests lined up. Callers in here, Larry and Paul. Don't going to where I'm going to get to you. I do want to address something. We talk about a lot of cool guns and a lot of expensive guns and all that, but you know, there are some really nice guns at very affordable prices. And if you're looking for a carry gun, there's a couple I would record men you at least take a look at their microcompacts. In nine now I've talked about the Smith and Western body Guard two point oh. It's a three eighty and it's delightful, really shoots well. But if you want a name elevator, let me throw out two names. Certainly not exclusive, there's a lot of other ones out there, but two that I don't think get the attention they deserve. One is the Smith and Weston Shield Plus. Very nice little pistol. You know, you're looking at hundred five hundred bucks out there. Four I think it's thirteen plus one capacity and the shield plus. Also on the Ruger side of things, you've got the Ruger Max nine. I think it's a twelve plus one again microcompact, very nice, very affordable. I mean that one's really affordable. MSRP is three hundred bucks on this thing. So there are some very nice guns out there you do not have spent a fortune on. And that's just a couple of them. But don't feel like you're getting you're getting less than with these. You're getting a really good capable self defense gun you can bet your life on. And yet you want to spend more and get more you can, and some of us do just because we like them, but we understand it's not because we have to. Okay, fair enough, and look in just a few minutes after we do some other things, I want to address the Twin Falls shooting. It turns out there were three good guys with guns trying to stop this guy. All of them were brave, all of them responded, but frankly, all of them screwed up. And I'll give you my take on that when we come back. First of all, let's go grab the phones. Line five. Larry's with us out of Wichtaft Falls, Texas. Larry, thank you for your patience. What's going on, man?
Speaker 12: Well, a few weeks ago I called you about my FN reflex that was misfiring and stuff, and I remember that.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 12: I notified the factory. They said, they sent me a label. I sent it in. I got an email sho after that explaining what they fixed. And then about a less than a week later, I signed for my pistol and it was all fixed up. They had to replace the firing pin and the retainer for the firing pin. Do you remember kind of pulling my leg about mounting an optic comment, and that was probably the cause of the problem. Well, as it turns out now, they FM didn't say anything to me. They just said they fixed the pistol. But like I normally do, I went to mountain optic back on it, and I hit my favorite Google to get the right torque on the screws like I had the first time, only this time, instead of popping up with AI and saying I should tork them to whatever inch pounds, it popped up with a service bulletin from FN from twenty twenty five warning that if you mount an optic on a reflexed pistol, make sure you use the proper linked screws or you could impair the firing pin.
Speaker 4: Oh gee, you mean like Tom said?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 13: Saw that.
Speaker 12: I laughed. Yeah a second, sir.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, no, I'm good. I can hear you.
Speaker 3: Fine, yep, where we maybe lose them, but we'll keep him on there for the uh oh he dropped off. Okay, well, look, Larry, we dropped you dropped out. You had some bad connection there, But I appreciate the follow up on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The takeaways are.
Speaker 3: This, when you add anything to your gun, you also add complications and possible issues. So if you where do they say that, if something's going wrong, figure out the last thing you touched and untouched it. We do that with aviation. What was the last thing I touched? What's the last control I made? Go back and undo that one. Maybe the engine will start again, we hope. But in this case, uh, it's good. The other takeaway is f N fixed it. People say, well, I bought this gun. Sh can be malfunctioned. Yeah, I know, I get it. They don't want it to malfunction either. They surely don't want you to call me on national radio and complained about it by name. So I said, look, give f In a chance. Every gun company I know will make it right for you, and they will do it as quickly as possible. So good on FN and Larry. I appreciate you followed up because people are quick to complain and often not quick to give credit where credit is due, and Larry did a good thing there. We appreciate that. Let's grab Paul on line one out of Casper, Wyoming. Hey, Paul, what's cooking?
Speaker 13: Hello?
Speaker 14: I'm wondering. Okay, short barrel rifles. Uh ar, I've already got a short barrel or my AR so am I good?
Speaker 3: Wait wait I need more explanation. What are you talking about here?
Speaker 14: Okay? Uh, short barrel rifles AR. The lower is the registered part. The upper the barrel has no.
Speaker 3: What what do you have? Do you have a lower that is registered SBR.
Speaker 14: H No?
Speaker 13: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want to put you want to put a short barrel on your AR lower?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 14: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay. You're going to get conflicting information about this on the internet.
Speaker 4: If you look.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you one thing, and people are going to tell tell you, oh, Tom didn't nobody's talking about which often is the case. I'll admit that in this case, I'm going to suggest you go slowly converting your gun to an SBR without a form sitting in the form four one whatever it is.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: For one thing, I think you have to be part of a particular class. There were two different lawsuits here that just got decided in Texas, and only one of them covered the SBRs. The other one did not, and so only one set of plaintiffs and groups are covered.
Speaker 4: By that.
Speaker 3: But I would just say this, I think in this case, patience is a virtue. Let's wait until we get a bit more information about what you can and cannot do in making your own SBR. We will get some guidance from ATF and from the FEDS here, probably in a few weeks, maybe a month or so, and at that point we'll know what you can do.
Speaker 4: Here's the problem. We would love to all of us would love to do this.
Speaker 3: The potential penalties that we could run into are catastrophic, frankly if somebody from the FEDS decide they wanted to come after you. So I would just recommend you just have some patience wait on it right now. Like I say, in a week or two or three, we're going to get a good bit more information. This thing is brand new, is very very fresh. So look, I appreciate the call. I'm glad you ask. It gives me a chance to address this. Another thing, this lawsuit which was decided in Texas that the judge put in it's his decision and said I'm going to put a seven days stay on it, which is a waiting pair to pause before it goes into effect. And the government has seven days to appeal the case or the stay. The government decided not to appeal the stay the pause, but there's another sixty days during which the government Department of Justice can still appeal the decision itself. So the injunction has taken place and they're not appealing that, but it's conceivable they could come back and make it appeal and say, ok we disagree with this decision and we think that suppressor should still fall under NFA. Here's what I'm getting, inside information, behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Deep throat stuff, whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm getting the information that almost certainly the government is not going to appeal the decision. They're gonna let it stand. There are at least two other cases out there challenging the NFA on other grounds. This was not a second mimic case. We need a second Amendment decision on this. And here's why this was decided because we remove the tax in one big beautiful bill, so okay, no tax on suppressors. And then the losses said, well, if there's no tax, then you have no basis for requiring registration. Because the NFA, the National Farms Act, was done as a tax course. It said, yeah, there's no tax, and you can't require registration for having because the registration is to prove that you pay the tax. Here's the problem. When the Democrats get control of Congress, and they will possibly probably admit terms this year, get a reconciliation bill where they don't have to have a veto override, they could reinstitute a tax because in a reconciliation bill you can do tax stuff. They could put a tax back on suppressors. Instead of it being two hundred dollars, they can make it two thousand dollars or four thousand dollars and require registration of suppressors. Then the question is would Donald Trump veto a reconciliation bill just to protect suppressors. People can vote either way on that one. Figure out where you are on that. It may be that we're looking at basically that in California they had Freedom Week where they had one week to buy standard capacity magazines, and then that door slam shut. Freedom Week became this thing that people knew about it. Maybe we are in a freedom Week which is going to extend to some months, but after the midterm elections and when the new Congress comes in, we could be hearing that door slam and shut on this decision unless we can get a good second amendment case is that it's not a tax issue, it's a second Amendment issue. So all about to say, just be careful do your research. I mean people are buying them right now. You go to a lot of stores and buys the pressure without filing the Form four doing any of that registration, and if you can, you should. Frankly, I think I would do that on SBRs and SBS's. There's a little bit more information we need and as that comes forward, I'll give that information out here as well.
Speaker 4: Let's grab line three. David with us out of White City Organ.
Speaker 3: Hey David, what you been shooting? See if David's still there? Hey, hey, David, you're there. He's not there, okay, he's got me muted. He's watching you know, sports or I love Lucy reruns or something that's okay, that's okay. It gives me a chance to do my own range report. I went to the range yesterday. Remember last week I was telling you I was having problems with my thirty out six. I was working up loads for it. Frankly, it was shooting terribly. I'm talking three inch groups one hundred yards and it's an ultra light arms, one of the Melvin Forbes models.
Speaker 4: And they usually shoot really well. And I was.
Speaker 3: Shooting one hundred and eighty grain nozz of pratitions and just it wasn't doing well at all. So I said, well, let's change some things up. So I switched to one hundred and sixty five grain nozzler acubine bullet, and I switched powders as well. Went to reloader seventeen and I loaded five rounds each a three different charges with increasing powder charges, working my way up to the published max. In the first five rounds I shot, I went, well, that's better, but it's not great.
Speaker 4: It was like a two to two and a half inch group. Darn.
Speaker 3: And then so I shot the next five rounds, which was two grains more powder, and the group shranked to like an inch and a half to two inches. I went, Okay, that's looking good. And then I remember a year or two ago I was doing the same thing basically with the same power reloader seventeen. For whatever reason, it likes to be right up at max and with another rifle. The group shrank as I got closer and closer to the max powder charge so I went ed, went to the max powder charge in this one and shot that. I got a one inch group and I pushed one hundred and sixty five gran thirty colive bullet at three thousand and per second on the Crown draft.
Speaker 4: What's done, cleare victory.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be my Well, it's going to be my backup rifle for my elk hunt. But honestly, it would work fine as a primary. It'll probably be my backup gun on a deer hunt, but it would work fine as the primary on that. While I was there, I shot my two fifty seven Roberts actually improved and my three point thirty eight actually improved, and got both of them on, got them all shooting hitting about three inches high at one hundred yards.
Speaker 4: Why would you do that? Tom? You can use the dialing scopes. Because I don't like the dialing scoopes. That's why.
Speaker 3: For me, Yes, I do sound like that old guy. You know why, because I have experience. The more complication you put into things, the more opportunities you have for things to fail. And if I sight in these rifles, all of them three inches high one hundred yards, I can hold on to three hundred and fifty yards and hit right where I want to hit on an elk, I won't be more than four inches high, and I won't be more than four inches low. Now with the three thirty eight out six, it has more drop, so I've got alloted a little bit more. But it's interesting. I checked the trajectory of the thirty six used one hundred and sixty five grain bullet, and the two fifty seven Roberts actually improved using one hundred and fifteen grain ballistic tip. I was a blistic tip at thirty one hundred feet per second, and they have almost identical trajectories three inches high at one hundred and the drop is the same out to four hundred, so I don't even have to worry about it. So I'm good to go. I got all three rifles now, thank goodness. I've worked up the loads and they're ready to go. So I've got Elcott next month, and then I've got two mule deer tags, one in October, one in November. And who knows what else is going to be walking around out there. I've got man, I got tags for bear for wolves. Just that's the one thing I do love about being a resident in Idaho. I mean each of those tags is like seven bucks. So it's like, why would you the chances of seeing a wolf, much less getting get shot at a wolf. I might as well be looking for cashper the ghost out there. It's probably not gonna happen, you know, but for seven bucks, you put the tag in your pocket just because it might happen, right, simple as that. So that's my range report. Went out and shot some nice rifles. Finally, what a relief got that odd six shooting? I was beginning to wonder. I was thinking, Man, am I gonna have a bad rifle here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I didn't think. So it's Melvin's rifles.
Speaker 3: Always shoot, and I know if those are saying and it's that's nothing.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 3: When I'm shooting a big bullet, find a head and out, it's going to be just fine. That's a four inch group at four hundred yards, not a worry. Just shoot him, sharpen your knife fair enough. Our number here is eighty six y six talk gun. Clearly it's also Tom talk gun. If there's something on your mind, a carry pistol you're thinking about buying, give me a call.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: If you've listened to this for any length of time, you know how much I like good glass. Will be talking about really good glass. Oh just a few minutes. You do not want to miss that. Let's go grab the phones though, because Mike's called in out of Winchester, Tennessee. Mike, you're on the air. You've been playing with recoil springs.
Speaker 13: Out here, That is true, Tom, Always good to talk to you, buddy.
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 13: So yeah, recently, so all the yours I was in law enforcement, right, we were not allowed to modify our weapons at all. I mean they had to be boone stock.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 13: It's a I guess they called it a reliability and a liability issue, right.
Speaker 12: And so now that.
Speaker 13: I'm retired, my brother, oldest brother has been shooting competition for a while. He got me into CZ pistols and he said that most of the pistols semi autus are oversprung at the factory. And all the years I've been shooting, I never even knew what that was. And so I've started looking. You know, I've been buying a couple of things that I've showed you, and amazing difference in buying, you know, getting away from the you know the plastic guide road and the you know, the eighteen pounds springs and ordering different things from a couple of different companies for the CZ and the Walter pistols with the stainless steel captured guide rod with a lowered spring rate, and you call these vendors in that world wealth of information. One of them for the PDP, I got nine percent reduction spring with a encapsule a stainless seel guide rud. It made a world of difference in that pistol.
Speaker 4: I mean what difference When you say a world of difference? What was the difference?
Speaker 3: Different way of feeling of reliability or accuracy? What are we talking about?
Speaker 13: Yeah, so it's a lot smoother to wrack the slide, and it's you can tell it's lighter. But the recoil impulse is a lot different. Where on the water you know, it's it's it used to be kind of tight, I want to say, and the recoil impulse was more of a snap, you know, but now it's a lot smoother. It's almost like shooting in nineteen eleven where it comes back and as soon as it goes back into battery, you're right on target, all right.
Speaker 4: But you do know, I know, you know this.
Speaker 3: If you go to a lighter spring, you're going to maybe you get those benefits, maybe not.
Speaker 4: And people need to understand.
Speaker 3: You can swap springs out and change it back and forth and see what feels good to you, but when you go to the lighters, there's a very good chance it's not going to last as long as a stronger spring, and you're going to have to replace I mean, look, springs are cheap anyway, but you probably will have to replace that spring a bit more often, right right, Oh.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, But I'm not shooting competition, so.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because people are shooting competition. If you're going through three five thousand rounds, it's like, okay, you know, I got to replace springs every two or three thousand rounds, which with a factory spring probably not with a lighter spring, maybe you're replacing the spring every thousand rounds.
Speaker 4: But again, I mean, what's the spring costing you? Ten fifteen bucks?
Speaker 13: So the well, the encapsulated ones were forty dollars, but the actually just replace the spring on my SPO one, my CZ it's eight bucks, eight dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so why not I'll try it? Yeah, just I mean, and you can also match the spring to the different loads. If you're using particularly lightweight loads, you can increase reliability to go into a lighter spring.
Speaker 4: If you're going to use really heavy.
Speaker 3: Loads, like you said, I'm going to put those big bear loads in my gun, you might want to go to a heavier spring and just try it. But look, here's the other part of it. If you're changing springs out, now you're on your own. The factory didn't make it that way, so you are responsible for making sure that it works the way it's supposed to. How do you do that? You take it out and shoot it, and shoot it a lot, put one hundred and two hundred rounds to it with those loads. Oh but those barrel loads are expensive.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: But you do want it to work if that bear is coming at you to chew your leg off, right, So you might want to run at least a couple of magazines worse through it just to make sure everything works. But yeah, good and Mike, thanks for the call. Appreciate that good comment there. Changing the springs out on your semi auto pistol is one way to customize it and fine tuneit. Just know what you're doing, Experiment, and on up to it. If you screw it up,