Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show, idiots, The kids are playing or tail off crying. The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, goldplay Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All righty, let's get it started, shall we doesn't feel like Wednesday, but it is one day closer to the weekend, in fact, one day away from the NFL season starting. That's exciting, right, Hopefully you guys are excited for the next three hours, because that's how long we're gonna need you. I mean, I suppose if you've got things to do, I understand, but why would you not want to be with us for the next three hours. It's coffee and company taking you up until six o'clock. Field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, that is me the company man, mister John all on alongside today and uh, I would say in the nearly two years we've worked together. I think you've missed the show because you were sick. Like maybe I think once, yeah, I was gonna I remember there being one day or one time, maybe it was more than one day, but like it rarely happens, and you know, it's happened to me, you know, probably a lot more than that, be honest with you. But I think my mind's playing tricks on me because I said this yesterday to John before the show started, that I got we got some we got some sickness within our home, the Coffee headquarters. Uh, my wife has My wife has strep throat and she's home. She's I mean, I hope she's okay. I mean she seems like she's just you know, in an off full, awful state of mind. I mean, she's just sleeping, she's she's coughing. She says she's she get tested positive for striped throat. And I'm, you know, being the worried husband, I'm like, you need to go get looked at for something else because this seems like you can't stop coughing, you can barely move. And she's usually I mean, she rarely gets sick, but she's usually you know, tougher than me when it comes to illnesses. I feel like, but my mind's playing tricks on me, John, because I don't feel ill. In fact, I had a good morning. I went out and got a good run in, and I'm but anytime I'm in the home, and you know, even though she's kind of, you know, off to herself in a bedroom, sleeping, you know, trying to stay away from us as best she can. I mean, it's inevitable when you live with somebody, like if they're unless you want to send them to a hotel for like a few days, Like it's gonna be almost impossible to not be around something. I mean, you know, she's got two young kids that don't care that she's sick. They want to hug mommy, you know what i mean. Like it's just it's it's inevitable that, like there's a chance one of us, maybe all of us, end up getting what she has, and we're trying our best not to have that happen. But again, my mind is playing tricks on me because I'm starting to feel like I'm achy, I've got the chills. I mean, you I went and got a hoodie before the show today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and today is one of the warmer days of the week that we've had.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, it's probably just my mind and I don't have a great immune system, so therefore, like if I'm around somebody that's sick, I'm likely going to get sick. And depending on what you know sickness, it is like you know, the one she has is strip and if I was to get that again, it could cost some issues for me because of some other conditions that I have. So I'm going to let this show just be a distraction because I've been worried about it for the last twenty four hours. Like I don't want to get sick, and I don't want to end up, you know, like she is. So I hope you know, I know she's not listening. I hope she gets well soon, and you know, we can avoid anybody else in the house getting sick.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you're a hypochondriac. I don't know if we've had this conversation beow, but I feel like I've asked you that.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: I usually am more on the invincible side that like, nothing's going to happen to me, nothing, like you know, I mean, I'm a worrier at you know, in general, like I am a paranoid person. I let my mind get the best of me a lot as far as worrying about things. But when it comes to health and whatnot, it usually is never a thing for me. But this particular, I mean, because of the other conditions that I have, I just know what I'm in for if I get strapped, bro, as we discussed yesterday, like me and you not on the air, but like it'll be bad for me. And that's what I'm worried about.
Speaker 4: So now you know.
Speaker 3: And I don't really have any symptoms, like I mean, I mean other than kind of feeling like I got the chills. You know, my nose is running, But I'm just chalking that up to terrible allergies because you know, we have terrible allergies in this area. Are you Are you a hypochondriac because I would never I would never know because you never get sick.
Speaker 2: I think I'm along the same lines as you, as I tend to worry that I'm going to get sick quite often, but at the same time, when I actually do get sick, I tend to always commence myself that whatever I have is not a big deal, and then I'm just gonna shake it off, kind of what I did last year the day that I ended up taking a sick day. I woke up that morning and said, you know what, I think I'll feel better in a couple of hours and end up getting worse than a couple of hours, which usually doesn't happen to me.
Speaker 4: It's called growth, John.
Speaker 3: Once you feel something coming along, you know, just say, look, I gotta go see the doc because it may be it is. There's a chance it might just you know, go away on its own, or I might need to get it looked at.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean hopefully neither of us get sick anytime soon. But yeah, I learned the hard way when I was probably I guess about thirty thirty one or I started to have some health issues and nothing crazy, nothing serious. But you know, I just assume we'll head Snowpeaki, it'll go, it'll work itself out, like everything is going to be fine. I don't need to do this, do that, get lab work done. You know, I just assumed, well, it'll it'll run its course and I'll be fine. And then I realized, oh no, you can't do that nick, You're gonna have to be medicated for these things the rest of your life and you just need to deal with it. And if you don't stay up to date on my meds and getting check ups and all that stuff that you know comes with being an adult, I guess an adult with some health issues, like, then it's gonna be even worse. So one time I just stopped taking my medicine just for no real reason, just being a dumb ass, honestly, and it led to me having like about a six week not scare, but like I wasn't in a good place for a variety of reasons, and it was just me being a dumb ass like just yeah, yeah, I'm not gonna take it today, I won't take it tomorrow. And like it was so stupid of me and in my own fault, but also selfish to me because like it was around the holidays, and I just remember being very not well thinking to myself like all right, don't be such an idiot like that that that was very avoidable, and you you know, you couldn't let your stupidity.
Speaker 4: That does suck to around.
Speaker 3: So that's what that's what really made it like terrible, is like I was miserable at a time I didn't want to be miserable, and the only person I had to blame was my So anyways, I'm I'm gonna believe in the power of positivity and this show could cure whatever illness has come in my way, and hopefully when I leave here today, I feel like I'm a okay. I keep hearing everybody has COVID, but then again, like, are the symptoms of that now the same thing as it was a few years ago?
Speaker 4: Like, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody currently that has COVID, But again, my circle of people is probably a lot different than your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I mean, it's apparently going around at schools and stuff. I mean, probably nothing different than other you know, illnesses and viruses and whatnot. And that's still a very that's still a trigger word, right, Like, you know, even though it's never going away and will always be COVID that people get diagnosed with here and there, regardless of what they did from a vaccination standpoint, Like, it's still a word that probably honestly will always be for anybody.
Speaker 2: Who lived through it and was old enough to experience really all of the bad things that came from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Gosh, can you believe that was almost five years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like this this.
Speaker 3: March, I guess will be I mean, heck, it was the world shut down in March. But it really started to become like a big deal globally, like in January. I remember when I went to Boston in January of that year, twenty twenty for the Louisville Boston College basketball game. I remember when we got back hearing that, like the airport I was just in had like the fifth case that was on record in the United States, and I'm like, oh my god, like this is this is getting crazy. And then she, I mean god, she feels like that was two bad years. Oh you were all gonna die? Yeah, oh my god. Like I remember thinking like if somebody that I, you know, love, gets it, like I'm probably never gonna see them again, because they're gonna be dead soon, and I don't want to be I can't be near them because then I'll get it and die like whenever we don't. Like, the fear of the unknown was crazy, and it is even more crazy thinking it is even more crazy now looking back many years later. How you know, Well, Anyways, I'll say those thoughts for a different day. Let's get the party started, shall we, Because it's uh, it's another week where we have an opponent that I can't lie to you and say that I care a whole lot about. I think we're going to be in for a very similar game on Saturday as we were this past Saturday against Austin p SO Jacksonville State. The most interesting thing I can tell you about them is what you probably already know, and that.
Speaker 4: Is the fact that they are coached about Rich Rodriguez.
Speaker 3: Other than that, I don't have a whole lot that I can share with you that I think you'd be interested in it all. They're coming off of a disappointing season opening loss to Coastal Carolina. They at times have been you know, viewed as a team that could potentially, you know, be the ace I mean, rich Rodriguez being there. Their success at the FCS level, I guess has made them somewhat of an attractive a SUN program as far as one that could really succeed, you know, in that level. But they did not get off to a good start on Saturday, whenever I guess, actually they might have played last Thursday. Now that I think about it, maybe I'm wrong there, but either way, they're owing one and they opened up as I believe, twenty one point underdogs to Louisville. It's now at twenty eight and a half, so the Cards are favored by twenty eight and a half. And once we get past that game, then we have a real game to focus on. And when I say a real game, I mean, you know, it's a conference game against a ranked opponent, so that you know, that's a big difference than what we've had the last you know, last week in this week. But hey, I'm not gonna I'm gonna try not to make it sound like I'm complaining, because you know, football seasons here, this is what I've wanted. It's just, you know, I could go without these games. I'd rather Louisville play anybody than not play at all. But I'm just eager to see what this team looks like when they get to a more legitimate opponent, which again Georgia Tech should be that next Saturday. However, if Georgia Tech loses to Syracuse this weekend, that would like take all the value.
Speaker 4: In that win away.
Speaker 3: If Louisville is able to beat Georgia Tech next Saturday. And again for those thinking like, well, we can't get ahead of ourselves, No we can't. As fans, we can get ahead of ourselves. We don't need to worry about Jacksonville State because you know they're not They shouldn't be a real challenge. And if they are, we got bigger problems. Speaking of big problems, I know U of L has with UH. I don't know who they reach out to, if that's if it's the TV executives, if it's just somebody that's with the ACC. But with Bourbon and beyond. Next Saturday, I mean, it's all. I mean, it's Friday, Saturday, Sunday, I believe, is it? They're actually Thursday too? I think, yes, Thursday through sund Yeah, Thursday through Sunday. And obviously it's a humongous music festival. The lineup for the entire event is amazing. But that's Saturday. I believe is Zach Bryan, who, of course I believe is still one of the most popular musicians on the planet right now. There's gonna be so many people in Louisville for that event, and there's gonna be so many people there on Saturday, which is what you know, how far away is Cardinal Stadium from that field where they have these shows. I mean it's not far at all, right, it's right, I mean it's I mean, I want to say it's like within a mile, but it's probably closer than that.
Speaker 2: So it is on kind of the other side of the Expo Center, I guess, adjacent from Kentucky Kingdom.
Speaker 3: If you're thinking, yeah, we like so yeah, so you know, the Fairgrounds is close enough to Cardinal Stadium where like people can walk. I mean, I don't know why you would you would do that, but like it's not crazy to walk from those two events, to be honest with you, I mean it is kind of crazy. I don't know why you would want to do that, but like you could and it wouldn't be the hardest walk you've ever had.
Speaker 4: But there's going to be so.
Speaker 3: Many people all weekend in that general area, and then you're going to try to, you know, get people there for a four to five hour window for a football game, and it's just gonna be I mean, they've requested to have a noon game that way, they could, you know, get that out of the way. I would imagine the show probably I don't know what time does it start. I feel like it's an all day thing. At these music places, the early acts usually performing around noon, as you just mentioned for the Louisville game. You know, most people who are there for the big acts, those usually don't happen till seven or eight o'clock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the earliest.
Speaker 3: I would imagine that if this thing gets a noon kickoff, that's probably best case scenario. But then again, I could see it being an issue with people leaving, you know, and I guess if people are on their way out of Cardinal Stadium, whereas there's a lot of people on their way to the festival, like maybe that would be an ideal situation. But the biggest issue that I think you'd run into is that if everybody's like trying to get to ellen n Cardinal Stadium and the music festival at like the exact same time, And I think that would probably mean if that would probably be if you had like a four o'clock kick, like a three thirty kick like that, to me, I think would be the disastrous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, time to do it, So we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know U of L has requested it again, not even sure who they request that through. It's got to be somebody through the conference. But you know, the people who are in charge of the TV slots and whatnot, they don't care about our traffic. I mean, they don't care at all. So hopefully, you know, we just get lucky and get a nooner. But you know, if they get a night game, which I guess is probably still on the table like that, I think that could also be problematic.
Speaker 4: But what I'm I.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't say worried about because people are gonna do what they're gonna do. But I know many Louisville fans that are hoping that it's a neon game because if if forced, they're gonna go to the concert and not go to the game, which you know, do you know, people work hard for their hard earned money. Therefore they can spend whatever, spend it on whatever they want. I know, we only get you know, six Louisville home games on average a season, six or seven I guess, depending upon the season, which season it is. But like this is a big time. I mean, it's a big concert and if you paid money for tickets, then you've probably paid a lot more money than you pay for a football ticket, so you know, I I don't. I mean, I hope we don't end up in that situation. But you also got to wonder if you're gonna lose some of your attendance to to the festival. I mean, you probably will in general, but if they're if they're like, you know, roughly around the same time, and you know you will. So anyways, that tells you how much I'm really, you know, anticipating this Jacksonville State game on Saturday. I just spent the last five minutes talking about potential traffic nightmares and logistical issues about a game next week or two.
Speaker 4: Weeks from now.
Speaker 2: Example, what was a bye week next week? And Bourbon and beyond is the following week?
Speaker 4: Okay, good good, Yeah that makes more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's still it's still it remains the same.
Speaker 4: But yes, we do have a week off. Yeah, man, I hate that. It's weird.
Speaker 2: So that obviously you were aware of the double bye weeks in this year of college football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I gotta be honest with you, I knew they. I just to have these two opponents then a bye week, like it kind of sucks.
Speaker 4: It does kind of suck.
Speaker 3: I mean because because I'm I'm just eager to see this team against you know, some legitimate competition. And look, it'll be great once these two games are over because there's nobody else on the schedule that is anything like what Jacksonville State in Austin p are. So again it is it's good to get it out of the way. I mean, it would be a real kick to the you know what if you played one of these teams in like week seven or week eight or something like that, So they'll get it out of the way, get one of the bye weeks out of the way, and then you've got Then you've got Georgia Tech followed by Notre Dame, which again, two big opportunities there. And I look, I if Louisville ends up beating Georgia Tech next week or I guess not next week whenever they play on the twenty first, if Georgia Tech is still hovering around you know the mid or you know, the the low twenties, then Louisville beating them would probably knock them out of the rankings. And then people would act as if well that win really wasn't that impressive, but still, like I just want to see you start collecting acc wins. And I say that as if they've done something wrong. They haven't played an ACC team yet. But look, we all know the perception of the ACC, and it's out of our I mean, it's out of everybody's control. People are gonna say, they're gonna say about the AACC, so you might as well if you're Louisville, you know, just look at it as a chance to take advantage of a league that is for the taking. I mean, I don't even know if that's the if that's the case or not, but so far, these results that we've got in the first you know, I guess two weeks if you consider Week zero with Georgia Tech taking down Florida State, I mean, who scares you in.
Speaker 4: The ACC Florida State.
Speaker 3: You don't even have to play them in the regular season, and they put themselves in a position that they probably are gonna have a really tough time getting to Charlotte. So you know, Miami and I guess Clemson. I mean, yeah, Clemson is still a team you got to. I mean I knew they were on the schedule, but if you can get past Miami and Clemson or split those two and then try, you know, avoid the head scratching loss to teams you know you shouldn't lose to. I mean, you're right there with a chance to play for the a SEC Championship. And again they're one and oh they got eleven more games to play. Yes, I'm totally getting ahead of myself here, But when you see the chaos, if it's even accurate to call it chaos, I mean Florida State starting zero to two, I guess that's chaos.
Speaker 4: I mean it's it was unexpected.
Speaker 2: And the reaction is chaos. The people wanted to eat poop out of the Red Solo Cup run.
Speaker 4: Well, no, they didn't want to. They're not going to John That's true. That's right, They're not.
Speaker 3: They said they they said they would if they lost, and then they lost and then they ran. So anyways, I just I'm I'm not built for Jacksonville State and Austin p pre you know.
Speaker 4: Pre and then a body view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but I'll have more fun with the bye week than acting like I care about Jacksonville State. You want some fast facts about Jacksonville State.
Speaker 2: Are they I'll give you one is are they the game cock?
Speaker 4: They are? Their mascot is cocky. The game Cock Cocky the game Cock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they are located in Jacksonville, Alabama, a city I did not know existed.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was founded.
Speaker 3: The school, I should say in eighteen eighty three is Jacksonville State Normal School.
Speaker 4: I don't know why it was called that.
Speaker 3: Enrollment nine thousand students at Jacksonville State colors red and white. And they have a campus that is over four hundred and fifty acres and it's divided into six colleges, john and the College of Arts and Humanities, College of Business and Industry, College of Health and Professionals, sorry, College of Health Professions and Wellness. And they are in the A Sun and their division I in every sport. And they also offer ninety five different academic programs, including strong nursing, business, and education programs. How about this, They've got the Marching Southerners. It's the jsu's renowned marching band. The Marching Southerners is one of the largest and most respected in the country, known for their high energy performances. They also experienced a natural disaster. In twenty eighteen, a tornado caused significant damage to to parts of the JSU campus, but the university has since rebuilt and continued to thrive. Take that mother nature. In football, they did win a nineteen ninety two FCS National championship. And when it comes to famous alum, how about Oscar winning actress Octavia Spencer. Are you familiar with her? The name sounds I mean, okay, hey, I don't know who the hell that.
Speaker 2: Is, So I feel like she was in a horror movie that I'm familiar with. Just because the name seems recognizable, maybe I'm totally throwing that.
Speaker 4: Out of left field.
Speaker 3: Quick Google search does confirm that I do recognize her. I have seen her in a variety of things, but there's not one particular movie that or show that stands out. Oh yeah, she was in Big Mama's House. That movie came out when I was a kid. She was also in Blue Streak, one of Martin Lawrence's best movies. But as far as like what she's known for, I don't mean. She's got a very impressive list of television shows and feature film she's been a part of. But you know, I can't really think of one specifically that I'm like, Oh yeah, that's what I remember her from other horror movie I was talking about.
Speaker 2: She was in what was called ma came out back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Was it good? It was?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 4: Whatever?
Speaker 3: Who else do we have here for Jacksonville State, famous slum NFL player. Let's see sports figures like Ashley Martin, who was the first woman to score to score in a Division one football game. I don't know anything about that. Wait a second, Yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: There you go, and she's for a second, she's now I'm confused. Somebody scored a touchdown in a men's football game. There was a woman this I feel like. I'm felt like, there's no way this is real.
Speaker 2: I believe because it wasn't and this wasn't a touchdown, But wasn't there a female kicker on the Vanderbilt football team?
Speaker 4: A couple of lays.
Speaker 2: I know it's on the same thing as a touchdown, but it was something.
Speaker 3: A quick Google search I think may have utilized something called artificial intelligence that might have just given us a completely made up, fake thing that's not real.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna blame it on AI. I mean, this is what it says.
Speaker 3: Sports figures like NFL player Ashley Martin, who was the first woman to score in a Division one There's like there's not a woman in the NFL playing football, so therefore, like this can't be real, right.
Speaker 2: Not in the is this was not in the NFL. I mean at Jacksonville State.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Shout out to Jacksonville State. They're coming here to get a check and to get worked and you know, then we got a bye week and then you know, we.
Speaker 4: Get to actually start the football season.
Speaker 3: I'm jealous of Kentucky because they had a bum opponent in Week one and you know, they did what you're supposed to do against an opponent like that before mother nature got in the way. But like they've got a big game. I mean that it's not a game to where everybody who is into the college football season is on the edge of their seat to see what happens between these two teams, because it really doesn't have a whole lot of significance to like the SEC race, or at least it shouldn't, but for both of these programs, it's huge because they see themselves like they these two at least now I know South Carolina it didn't used to be that way, but Kentucky since Mark Stoops has been there, I think South Carolina and Kentucky are they not equals like they I think they kind of view themselves as like, okay, you know they that's the bar, let's be better than South Carolina. And now again, if South Carolina's two and ten, you obviously want to be a lot better than them. But like when the divisions used to be in place, and this is the first year without the divisions, I believe, or maybe it's the second. I think it's the first year without the divisions. You know, you had Georgia and Florida who run the East, and although Florida has taken steps back, clearly there's still a superior or like, you know, even if Florida's down, they're not gonna be down that long to where they're losing to South Carolina and to Kentucky consistently.
Speaker 4: At least, you know, they shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's one of the reasons why Florida keeps changing coaches, because you you can't slip. The standard can't fall that far. So anyways, I feel like these two schools in football, South Carolina and Kentucky. And I'm speaking with Kentucky mostly just in the March Stoops era, because let's be honest, he's changed how everybody used Kentucky football because he's given them in the first time in my lifetime, you know, legitimate sustained success, not success to where they're gonna be winning their conference, but you know, they're no longer what they once were. So they can look at Florida, Georgia and just know, hey, we're not that and we never will be. They can look at Tennessee and say there has been but man, they still have better resources than us, and more often than not, they're just gonna be able to They're gonna put dudes on the field that are better than our dudes. And then from there, I think next up is like, you know, they look at Missouri as the new QTc team that like might be decent or they might be terrible, and then it's South Carolina and Kentucky that I feel like, realistically speaking, they wouldn't pound their chest about it, but I think deep down they know in the old SEC East like, we're playing for fourth at best, and if we can get there, it's not where we want to be. But we can look at those ahead of us historically speaking, and know we're probably never going to be better than Georgia, Florida or Tennessee. So let's let's just, you know, consider fourth being this best we can do. And I'm not even really sure if that how it breaks down this year, because obviously Missouri is supposed to be good and there's no divisions. But my point is, you can you can feel the importance of this game within the Kentucky fan base, and I would imagine that it's the same thing with South Carolina. They're coming off an of an unimpressive victory in their opener against Old Dominion and I think their touchdown dogs here in Lexington taking on uh Mark Stoops, and I don't know, I get the sense that if Kentucky was to somehow slip up and lose this game, which I don't think they will, but if they did, I think that's the first time you start to hear people not calling for Mark Stoops's head because that's not happening, Like he's not losing his job ever at Kentucky, but they'll bring up the fact that he tried to get out of there and go to a and m weren't they like you. I can hear Matt's postgame show people calling I wish Stoops would have got his ass out of here, especially considering he was just crying. Like all Mark Stoops did was cry during the during the summer about having to work. He looked like he might he took that out of Sadderfield's playbook. Just cry he did, just crying about having I got a new all bum this.
Speaker 1: Hell, it's just me. I ain't coach football.
Speaker 3: It was the remix rejoining. I don't know what the hell happened there, but anyways, it is Coffee and Company.
Speaker 4: That's us.
Speaker 3: We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. No guest scheduled today, which means you guys can be a part of the show if you'd like. Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, you can text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at five oh two six five three zero seven ninety and uh we will go to the phone lines here and bring him in.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Let's see who's up first here. Let's go to Dave. Dave, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening my man?
Speaker 5: Hey about Huggins, Bruce. I know the NC double A has got some kind of stipulation bat Grade. Uh, you know fia l gout in an official transcript from see.
Speaker 4: Play he played the other day, So he's clear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yes, I understand that. But my question, you know, I feel paranoid was.
Speaker 4: About the NC double A for Dave, I got you.
Speaker 1: I hear you, Dave.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that was that was why I was calling. I mean, did they I hope they got an official transcript that stamps and everything else, because, like I said, I have a good reason for being paranoia about the nc DOLA and screwing U of L.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave, I appreciate the call. I can tell you this. There's no scenario that U of L compliance folks, Sid Rock, Go Gasparo, Jeff Bram even like they would not have had him on the field playing if they did not get full clearance from the NCAA that he was eligible to play. As far as how they did it and what loophole they may have found, I really don't know, And honestly, I guess it's not it's not relevant, But yeah, I mean it was, Uh, it was what a weird few weeks it was there with Colin Lacy going down and just the unusual circumstance with Huggins, Bruce had Huggins Bruce talked about more among Louisville fans than he ever has and ever will be. Not to say he's a fine player, I mean, you know, but I think just the unusual timing situation all and nobody really knowing exactly what they were able to use in order to get him eligible. But hey, he's here, he's eligible, or he would not have been out there on the field. So that green light thumbs up, whatever you want to call it from the nc Doualea. It had to have come because they wouldn't risk that. I mean, I mean, and if they did, then that's one of the dumbest things you could do, especially for a guy that you know isn't still listed on your two.
Speaker 4: Deep depth chart. I mean, he's somebody that you know.
Speaker 3: And maybe I'm now now I'm second guess in it here, like he played, didn't he like I thought? I mean, I remember talking about it during the postgame show. But then again, like the postgame show is such a whatever because you know, it was a postgame show for a Louisville Austin b football game when Louisville one's sixty two to nothing. But now I got to go back and look because I'm paranoid here, like if I've been spreading fake news. I don't think I have. But let's let's let's find out. Yeah, if you go to the box score on Saturday, he caught. He caught one pass for nine yards, so he's eligible, he's cleared, he's good to go.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the call, day, I appreciate it. Again.
Speaker 3: We'll go back to the phone lines coming up here shortly. Five oh two five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call again. The Ellinent Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. This is not a sports story by any means, but certainly a story that I cannot imagine there's a single person listening right now, rather it be live or on podcast that's not not familiar with the Crystal Rogers murder investigation. So this came out. It looks to be within the last I don't know, thirty minutes or so, maybe right around the time the show started, that the FBI has started to search a Nelson County property in and you can assume that they're searching for her body. She's been presumed dead, but they've never found a body. And you know, I've not followed this as close as some others. I mean, I've kept up with it because it is a very awful, crazy story that's gotten some national intention. I mean, and there's like four different networks that have done stories about this case. Rather than be the oxygen channel, True Investigation, Discovery has done something. There was a podcast done on it that I think actually originated locally and became a big deal national. I think WHS eleven might have done it. So you know, with the latest as far as the arrests that were made and the others that, you know, there's two people that are associated well I guess they were associated with the ex who everybody assumes is responsible for this. But the property they're searching right now it looks like, well, I guess they haven't said it's actually on that property, but White Sides Road in Nelson County is where they are searching, and it looks like her boyfriend Halck, his grandmother owned a three acre plot on that road. It was sold a few years ago. Also his brother Nick Hauck, who who was a police officer, with the Bargetown Police Department. He of course, was fired for interfering with the investigation. He also owned property, it looks like on in that area on White Sides Road. So, I mean, I feel like we've been here a couple of times where they we find out that they're they're digging, they're looking for the body, and it doesn't I mean, at this point, there still hasn't been any recovery. However, you know, maybe this is maybe this is the uh, maybe this is the day where they actually figure out where her body is buried. Just a just a crazy story that you know, I could be wrong here. Yeah, I guess this is right. I feel like this was way longer than eight years ago. I mean, I mean, let's see, no, nine years ago, I guess, yeah, nine years ago. I feel like this was in like two thousand and eight. It was twenty fifteen whenever this investigation began. So it's been a little more than nine years since they found her car left running on the side of Bluegrass Parkway with a flat tire, her phone and purse still inside. You know, she seemingly just vanished into thin air. She's a mother of five, and you know, obviously her her former boyfriend Brooks Hawk has been the guy that most just assumed has either been directly responsible for it or involved in some way.
Speaker 4: So, uh, yeah, I'm gonna again.
Speaker 3: I know not you don't come to this show in the station to hear about murder investigations here locally. But I'd be a liar if I said I'm not going to be checking in here and there over the next few hours to see if there are any updates or any reports coming from that, because it's a big deal. I mean, it's a national story. To be honest with you, I don't have.
Speaker 4: A whole lot to add.
Speaker 2: But my wife, she was in high school and she went to Bartstown High School during the time when all of this was going on, so her perspective on all of this, she didn't really have a front row seat, but I guess she.
Speaker 4: Kind of did at the same time.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of weird that I'm with you in thinking that it seems like it's been going on a lot longer than eight or nine years, but I guess it is. It's good that they're finally making some headway.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, and you know, I hate to say this, but I'm just being honest with you, the former police officer Jason Ellis. I mean, that's another controversial. I mean, that's CONTROVERSI he was murd I mean he's murdered. I mean he's killed. That happened in twenty thirteen, and those were huge stories, not only locally but nationally in regards to I mean, just Bargetown is quite literally one of the most beautiful small towns that you'll ever see. And I mean when I was at Saint Catharine College, we were just down the road between Bargetown and Springfield, and you know, it's a beautiful, beautiful place. I know a lot of people from there. I know a lot of people who I grew up with around where I you know, where I still live, that moved to Bargetown because that's where they wanted to live and raise their family. Again, it's it's it is. It's been named, They've won some kind of an award at some point where they were they were recognized as one of the most beautiful and best small towns in America. And if you've been there, you can totally see it's beautiful. I mean, it's it's location wise, it's close enough to Louis but you also kind of have that rural small town Kentucky field to it. But they have these two stories specifically, and some people still think they're connected. I guess I wouldn't. I mean, I have no clue if that's legit or not, but I know some people have said there's got to be some kind of connection because these are just unexplainable things that happen in a small town and how could nobody know what happened. So anyways, we'll move on. No like easy way to transition from that. But anyways, with the NFL season starting tomorrow, here's what I want to do a little later on. We don't have enough time here because I want to get to a break before too long. But the athletic they talked to looks like twenty seven different coaches and executives within the NFL and asked the same seven questions that they've asked I guess now for the last few years. And it's you know, I find these write ups to be very very you know, telling, because not to say that if you're a columnist or a radio personality, or you know, just somebody that has a platform within the media, your opinion is valuable, especially if people are tuning in or you know, reading to hear it because reading it or you know, listening for because you know that. I hate to give the notion like if you didn't play the game, you're not involved in it to this day, then your opinion doesn't matter. But I also will acknowledge hearing what gms and coaches will tell, you know, knowing they're gonna be, you know, off the record, like who they think is gonna win the MVP, what quarterback they would start a franchise with right now, who's the best defensive player in the league, Who's gonna have the biggest drop off the most disappointing season, Like, I don't know. I just found that stuff to be interesting. So I want to get to that coming up here for too long because I think there are some surprises as far as what these coaches and executives within the NFL are expecting for the for the upcoming season, which again starts tomorrow, which has me super super excited. I mean, I hope like hell that the Ravens can can knock off the Chiefs. Gonna be really tough to do because you know, the Chiefs are a dynasty. I have no problem saying, and I don't like the Chiefs, I'm gonna root it. I find myself rooting against them just because you know, they've kind of become I mean, that's like the Patriots. The Patriots did some things that made them very easy to hate, but they were also hatable because they were great and they were arrogant about it. I don't find the Chiefs to be that arrogant. And I actually think Patrick Mahomes is a pretty likable superstar within the sports world. But like you know, I've had enough of the Chiefs. I want him down. I want them to be, you know, taken down a notch. But I have a feeling that won't happen for quite some time because when you've got that trio that is Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelcey, Andy Reid, and look, we can throw in Chris Jones in there as well as well on the defensive side. Like, they were really, really, really good and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon. But yeah, the NFL season starts tomorrow and that has me super super pumped. Some other things we'll get into today. I don't know if you guys have seen the situation with the Memphis basketball program. Penny Hardaway as school has started, has gotten rid of his entire coaching staff. Like something happened there right Like they had a press release that they're gonna go to a different direction, trying to disguise it as if they, you know, actually just decided, yeah, we're gonna go look like look for new coaches because we just decided this isn't gonna work. No, something happened, Like you're not getting rid of all of your assistant coaches as school starts because you're just wanting to go, like are you're gonna go higher?
Speaker 2: And one of those guys is former WKU had coach Rick Stansbury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so something. I don't know what's going on there, but certainly something is going on that's not in any way, even if you hated every one of your coaches, when you get to September, you hate starting over with a staff unless you have to for reasons that have you know, nothing to do with personality differences or whatever they're calling it. And we've said this before, but if you listen to DeVos Wheney's press conference yesterday, which I don't why would unless you're a Clemson fan, But there's some clips I want to share with you. This guy's lost it, like I think, I mean, I don't see him making any kind of a change, but like I think he's got the weight of the world on his shoulder. No, that like everybody's looking at Clemson's downfall and blaming him, not because they think he's allows he coach, not because of like you know, one big goof, but because he's a stubborn old man.
Speaker 4: It's wild.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to make it a bigger deal than what it really is, but I just find it fascinating. I can't think of anything comparable where this guy is just refusing to adapt with the profession that he works in, and it's clearly impacting him and his program in a negative way, but he doesn't care because he's gonna do it his way.
Speaker 4: It's wild to see that.
Speaker 3: Also, Jasper Johnson gonna make his decision, I believe tomorrow all signs still point to Kentucky, but they've got it not Tenerary, and they've also closed it off to the public.
Speaker 4: Does that have.
Speaker 3: Kentucky fans worried that maybe he doesn't want bb In invading Woodford County High School because he doesn't want you guys harassing him for picking Alabama. Maybe he wants to go play for Nate Oates. All right, stick with us. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: It is coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Nit coffee, That is me, the company Man, mister John all on the alongside today. I didn't want to do the long pause there to like, you know, build up anticipation for the one, the only, mister John Alden. But I almost burned, and I would belching during, you know while while announcing that we've got the company Man with us as always today would have been a disrespect to you, John, And I can't do fairly appropriate though, I don't know. I mean, tell yourself, short, John, you're worthy of of all the Belgians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well are you? You're worthy of you?
Speaker 3: You are worthy of a proper you know introduction. Not that I'm introducing you to any of our listeners. They they're well, they're well aware of the company Man himself. But anyways, you guys know the drill. You know what time it is. It is coffee and Company, and we're taking you up till six o'clock. Not a whole lot of time left here in the three o'clock hours. So let's go to the text line, shall we? Bibo two six five three zero seven ninety again it is the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. So a couple of different questions, a couple of different questions, well, a couple of different texts that are kind of the same questions. One came in yesterday towards the end of the show. This one came in about twenty minutes ago, and it's just about Louislle basketball recruiting. So obviously they had some visitors on campus here recently. In fact, the kid from the kid from Jeffersonville, who make sure I get his name right because you know, he's somebody that obviously is a pretty big dealer around here.
Speaker 4: Tray Singleton. I knew that was his name. I just don't want to mess it up.
Speaker 3: But he's a four star kid from jeff who is kind of a you know, borderline top eighty ish type player. Depending on where you look, he's a three star in most services, but he is a four star I believe in one of them. Clemson, Xavier, Purdue, Louisville, Northwestern, those are the kind of schools going after me. He has some other offers, but he did take a visit this past weekend. He's one of the official visitors, which still counts as an official visit. But you know, he's not traveling because he's you know, he's from here, lives right across the river. So but there were some other other guys that were on campus as well for unofficial visits. And I know in the write up that I read over at Cardinal Authority by Jody Demmling, they you know, these guys clearly are enjoying their visits. So for those asking like when is Pat Kelsey gonna get his first commit I don't know. I mean, I don't think they're in a hurry. I mean, I think having a lot of big name visitors in the mix is sort of what you're exactly what you're supposed to do right here. I mean, if you get to you know, mid to late October and you haven't gotten one of these guys to commit to Louisville, then maybe you could be a little bit worried. But I mean i'd be lying if I said that would give me any reason to panic, because I'm not going to flip out over any recruit that doesn't come to Louisville because the portal has made it to where, Yeah, you're gonna want to try to get the best talent that you can, but missing out on a high school kid is not going to keep these coaches awake at night like it once did. In fact, if you get burned by high school kids long enough as a coach, you're probably gonna say, I don't need to do this. I don't need to be talking to these sixteen seventeen year old kids and their parents. Let me go talk to a twenty one year old who's played three years of college basketball. He knows what he's looking for as far as a role, he knows what he's looking for as far as money, and I can negotiate with him and.
Speaker 4: We'll get it worked out.
Speaker 3: Like I just I never want to act like high school recruiting is just gonna go away, because it's not, and it's important. And trust me, this is not me, you know, trying to tell people don't worry about any of the of these guys visiting because they're probably not gonna come here and it's gonna be okay. I'm sure they're gonna put together a class that they feel really really good about. Let's not forget Pat Kelsey and his staff landed one of the top ten recruits of all time within a couple of months on the job. So you know, I'm not worried about recruiting, and I probably won't be, to be honest with you, because I think they're gonna get three four maybe in this class, and they'll also have another big poral class. Because you got to keep in mind this roster, given how I was put together all from scratch. I mean, you're gonna lose a lot of guys who are playing in their fifth and sixth year of eligibility. So Singleton visited recently. It sounds like that that went really well. And then it does appear that Caden Magwood, the Louisville native who's now at Oakhill Academy, it does appear that that I don't know. I mean, in fact, I have a pretty good idea of what of you know, kind of how it played out this way, but Louisville no longer involved there, and I you know, I truly believe it was a mutual thing. Which rarely is that the case. Usually it's well mutually deciding to part ways. That's the person who wants to claim it's a mutual thing is usually one who got dumped, right, But I actually think for a couple of reasons, both sides just decided that, you know, they don't need each other. And that's Kate and Magwood in Louisville. So we'll see, maybe things change. But anyways, there's your basketball recruiting update. Not a great one, right. I don't know if I really shared much info, but hey, I shared with you what I know.
Speaker 4: Stick with us. We got two hours left. It's coffee and company.
Speaker 3: Feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety