Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to the host of home on KFI. The house whisper it's Dean Sharp morning, Dean Morning Ean. So recent reports are showing that a lot more people are renting now rather than buying, and even people with a lot of money are choosing to rent rather than buy. So I thought, maybe, you know, we do a little home therapy, apartment therapy and find out some ways to make a rental feel more like a home, knowing that you can't replace the cabinets to knock down walls exactly.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people get discouraged because they think, well, you know, I'm renting this place, it's an apartment, it's a house, whatever the case may be. I just can't. I can't really make it home. And that's so not true. Home is where you live. You just have to take a different strategy. Of course, you're not going to be knocking down wall Please don't not walk down knock on walls in your rental house. But that doesn't mean that you can't actually, you know, own the space for yourself. Things like color coordinating a room is such a simple concept, but once you've done it once, things like drapes and carpet or rug areas and throw pillows are all working off the same color palette. Man, that place becomes yours.
Speaker 1: And I've done some of these. You send a list of all these pictures and ideas and I'm like, oh, done that. Oh wait, need to do that. And then you also said, along with colors, like lighting can really help make your home feel more homey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course. You know. We live in the age now in the twenty first century, a very very high tech wireless lighting control right, things like smart lamps being able to control and to dim things. Let's say you live in an apartment. You're like, there are no dimmer switches in my apartment. That doesn't matter. You don't have to rewire the place. There are smart light dimmer controls that you can down to the hardware store and buy take with you whenever you move, plug them in into an outlet, hook them up to your Wi Fi, and plug the lamp into that. And all you have to do is say, hey, I'm gonna avoid seeing the name of the personal assistance so it doesn't respond to me. Here, Hey, turn the lamp down to ten percent, and boom, You've got dimmer control over the lighting in a room and you have not called an electrician to get that done.
Speaker 1: I love that, okay. And then one of the other things is like, I'm sitting in my apartment, which I love and I've decorated, but the walls are white. Is there anything you can do without painting the walls.
Speaker 2: There are lots of things you can do without painting the walls. There is removable static cling wallpaper these days, which is fantastic. I mean static cling, not glue. It doesn't leave a residue when it's done. There are sections of wallpaper that you can put up. There are things like magnetic refrigerator panels pulling up drapes, creating drapes for your windows. And you may think, wait, hey, I'm not allowed to drill into the walls. They're quick hang no drill curtain rod brackets out there now, which means that they can rest right over the top of the window and hold that curtain rod and you can have your own drapes, your own curtains, your own aesthetics in the room without making any permanent damage to walls or changes.
Speaker 1: I love this, okay. Then one other one that I like this idea too, just to personalize it, you're not making any structural changes, but like just swapping out like light switch plates or cabinet knobs and poles, you can always put.
Speaker 2: Them back exactly. Cabinet knobs are just screwed onto the front of the cabinet with a simple bolt from the backside of the drawer or the door. The same with the light switch plates. You can customize them to have your own kind of going on. And again, take it with you. It's a screwdriver. It's going to take you two minutes to change these things out. You put the old ones in a drawer. When you move out, you just swap them back out again.
Speaker 1: I love this, And of course plants always help make a home feel more homey, so that's a good idea. And then I love this one, which I just did it not too long ago. It's update your betting. But I'm gonna have to do it again because my cat likes to need and she's destroying my expensive duvet cover. But yeah, so many great ideas. So just because it's not your house, it doesn't mean it can't be a home.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You are the thing that makes your place your home, and finding creative ways of getting you all around, whether it's your color, whether it's your picture frames, whether it's your stuff, that is what makes that place you.
Speaker 1: You're so wise. If you want to hear more wisdom from Dean Sharp, you can listen to them tomorrow morning from six to eight right here on KFI, and or nine to noon on Sunday. It's home on KFI with our House whispered Dean Sharp. You can also follow him at home with Dean Thank you, Dean, Thanks Amy