Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty assumes.
Speaker 2: On learner type Amazon dot com. I kick it my way to about two million, five hundred thousand books subvix remarkd lease.
Speaker 3: I can look up such as Mediterranean cookies and I find fifty seven books on the subject. Amazon dot Com gives such great discounts that even with a shipping you come out ahead.
Speaker 2: I like not standing in line, stay of standing in line. I just sit here at punch one button and my book's on the way.
Speaker 4: I found a whole range of books from fiction to nonfiction on Tit, Temporary America, on Olympics, and Losday. I absolutely great time.
Speaker 5: KFI AM six forty is Later with mo Kelly. Remember when Amazon used to sell books a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Now they sell everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got an email once from Jeff Bezos back back in the day. Really yeah, and I have a letter on a little Christmas chotchki that he sent me. I found, like you know, you have boxes in the house. I found this box and it was wasn't really marked say Amazon on the outside. I opened it up and it was a pre printed letter from Jeff to some of the early people involved and say, Jeff Bezos, we appreciate you. B bah bah kfi.
Speaker 5: A six forties later with Mo Kelly, course that's Marsha Colliers, we talk about all things tech. That was a vintage Amazon commercial and it reminded me and of course reminded you what Amazon used to be and how what they used to be put bookstores as we know it pretty much out of business, and now they're putting a lot of other brick and mortar well.
Speaker 4: In line with what we're talking about today. I have a friend, the techie guy leron sergev and he's on YouTube. He does a lot of videos and he's done a lot of testing, and we were talking about how do they get your data? How do they get your information? Did you know he installed Amazon on a brand new phone, never logged in, never even logged into his Google account, so it was just a blank phone. And he did this with iPhone as well. And guess what it was calling in regularly.
Speaker 5: So even though he didn't log in, even though he did not use it to make any type of purchase, it was stealing data from the phone and communicating.
Speaker 4: Well, it was communicating I guess in hopes of there being more data because they were DNS hits, which we don't want to get into. Technically, TikTok was actually at TikTok was the second worst, but really not as nasty.
Speaker 2: What does that say for those phones which have Amazon is what we call bloat wear because depending on your carrier, that's for install there.
Speaker 4: That's why it's there. Jesse, you know, I know we all think the microphone listens to us. Do you realize if that was to transfer that amount of data it would be in a day. It would probably be a billion petro bike. It just it's not happening. What it picks up is what you type, what you search for, what apps you have, what you look at. That's that's it.
Speaker 5: I've had a number of people over the years say, hey, mo, what do you recommend as far as trying to scrub yourself from the Internet. Some people say the Internet is forever. I would like to get rid of, you know, some of these sites having my personal data.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that we can do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you one free thing and one thing you have to pay for. Okay, okay, I'll take it. So you know that Google will remove search results about you. You know, like if you Google your name you see something that's untoward. It's not a matter of censoring. If your private information appears in a Google search, that's against their policy and they will remove it. Obviously they don't know. And how do you do that? There are a couple of ways you can do it. Let's say you see it and you choose you see your name, click the three dots next to any web result you'll see it next to web results or always three dots, and pick remove result from the panel on the right. Then choose the reason for your removal request. One option is it shows my personal info and I don't want it there. You want to click that. You can also pick I have a legal removal request.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That could be if somebody has stolen like put paragraphs in my book on there or something like that, they would take it out. Now, that won't take it down from the internet, mind you, It will take it out of Google search. The search results. You can request or refresh and you're done and that's it. It's gone. But what I do for Google is I have removal requests in and that's if you have a Google account, you don't have to have Google one. It gives you those two options we spoke of before, and then a little more. Uh, you can go and start removal requests from Google. You just go to Google's support page for removing results, and you can google that Google removing results, and there's a place where they will continually track for your name. Now, my name shows up in my podcast title, right, because I'm all about branding. I stand my name everywhere.
Speaker 2: Right, that's personal but also public information. Right.
Speaker 4: So when it comes up with those you know, like in Zambia where they listen to the pot believe it or not, I leave it. But otherwise it shows up in a few other places. And that's unfortunately where Google stops because it doesn't go deep Google. This is removing from Google search results.
Speaker 2: That says to me.
Speaker 5: It will help somewhat, but the Internet is still forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's true. So what I do. I think I've mentioned to you before. I use something called delete me, which, by the way, if anyone wants to use delete me, I have a twenty percent coupon. Just messaged me on Facebook or I'll give it to you. It's not a Now, I don't make any money. You get twenty percent off, but it's one of those weird I'm not going to give it to you over the radio. So what they search are data brokers, people like people search spoko. Are you familiar with any of these?
Speaker 5: I am very familiar with spokio, and it amazes me how much information it can derive on people.
Speaker 4: One hundred and forty they deal. They scan one hundred and forty five data brokers. If you subscribe to their it's about one hundred and twenty year, about ten dollars a month, but they go deep in every month. They review listings one hundred and sixty two, four hundred and sixty one last month. Then they go for data brokers with info about you when they pick up, and you have to give them a certain amount of data first name, last name, your spouse's name, anything that's connected to you, your addresses, because you know a lot of those are real estate sites where they have people's names and owners and this and that, and they'll show you stuff in the beginning, like ex husband's name. Boy, I had a lot to fill in there, but I was getting on all his relatives page and all that stuff, and it would then link to my private information.
Speaker 2: That's unnerving.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so ten dollars a month. These people scrub it. They send you like a twenty page report every quarter, so it works. It's called delete me, and their website is joineddelete me dot com.
Speaker 5: Those are two good options, obviously one free. One might cost you a little something, but it.
Speaker 2: Will help.
Speaker 5: Diminish that footprint out there of personal information.
Speaker 4: And I do both.
Speaker 5: So when we come back, let's talk about the top ten scams of twenty twenty four. And hopefully nobody listening has been caught up in any of them, but there's a good chance you might have.
Speaker 4: Absolutely you're listening too.
Speaker 1: Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, the new computers are here, new computers. Who may I ask? Authorized new computers?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who did?
Speaker 4: Who did?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 4: IBM? Of course I did.
Speaker 3: The new IBM Personal System too, the next generation of personal computing. New computers, new printers and software, and IBM's new graphics put two hundred and fifty six colors on a screen at once, so our work will be bolder and brighter.
Speaker 4: If it'll make him brighter, count me in.
Speaker 3: Personal System too is faster, Oh, and it has incredible power.
Speaker 4: Someone say power, it's a miracle. He's following instructions. Hey, we were made for each other, so they need to use even.
Speaker 3: You could use it.
Speaker 4: Can we tie it all together?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Personal System two has excellent connectivity, so we can talk to each other.
Speaker 4: Well if we have to.
Speaker 3: It's just what we need.
Speaker 4: Who is responsible for this?
Speaker 5: Why you may recognize some of those voices, it's the whole cast of.
Speaker 2: Mash all right.
Speaker 4: I was wondering who it was.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep, if I am six forty is later with mo Kelly Marshall, Collier joins us, you're also going to give us some information on some of the top scams of the past year. And I shudder to think whether I might have been caught up in one or some.
Speaker 4: Well, the FTC announces the top scams of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: What number are we going to start with?
Speaker 4: I want to start with number five?
Speaker 2: All right, number five? Hold on one second. Here we go.
Speaker 4: Internet services, things that people can do to help you with your internet, to speed up your internet and just do things for you.
Speaker 5: Oh, because your computer's a little slow, right, got it?
Speaker 4: It needs it needs, you know, a little tech support, and they'll be more than happy to give you tech support and look at your screen and move your mouse for you and just fix.
Speaker 5: Everything for a nominal price, and also access to everything on your right exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the best case scenario, they just put a bug in it and it keeps sending information regularly to the people or some other malware exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So you know.
Speaker 4: That's and what's interesting is younger people have lost more money more often. It's younger people who are falling for these Yeah, we're cynical, yea, we heard yes, yeah, sure from Microsoft.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Let me just call one of my friends. Let me call my kid.
Speaker 4: He could do it right, exactly, Okay. Number four investments. The biggest losses happened by bank transfer or payment, followed by cryptocurrency. They have these lovely link young ladies with beautiful social media photos who engage in DMS with gentlemen who may be lonely, who they may have talked. Targeted because they can get their data online and see that their wives just died or something like that.
Speaker 2: My wife is still living and I still get the DX.
Speaker 5: I'm being serious because you'll see it's some sort of AI or they stolen the photos of some model and they want to talk to you about crypto and investments, and it's say, hey, you can wait, make a whole lot of money and you know, just invest here.
Speaker 4: We see that's a bad one. They've dove right in. What they're supposed to say is you know, you're really a handsome man. I'd love to get to know you better. And then they engage you in a conversation and they build trust and friendship with you. And you asked, well, what do you do for a living? Oh? I invest? Uh huh, I do it quite successfully. And then you say how do you do that? And they say, glad you asked. That's just right cryptocurrency. I've been very successful in trading my.
Speaker 2: Crypto, even with the southern drawl.
Speaker 4: But okay, so they do this and what I Obviously you're not a lonely guy, because these people like dove into the crypto right away. But the really deep scams where people lose half a million, three hundred and fifty and more are lonely older people and dumb young people.
Speaker 2: What you know, So the.
Speaker 5: Crypto will get the older people, and I'll say, the speed up my computer scans, get the younger people.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, yep, yep. And number three job openings, business and job openings. How many texts do you get?
Speaker 5: Hey, fake job listings right, so they can get your resume, all your information.
Speaker 4: Right, and you get texts. I get text about it all the time, and I wonder, I don't want a job, who are you and how do you have my information? But of course I never ask any of that. I just report it as spam and block and block, and you can do that in your messages by those magic three dots on Android, and you can also do it on iPhone. But the job or opportunity scam, which is why you ever wonder why these people on LinkedIn have on their profile picture open for work. I mean, hello, welcome to fraud.
Speaker 5: Well, see the thing is I actually to be transparent. I have that on my profile, but I don't have my phone number on my profile, so if anyone reaches out to me on my phone, they don't and it doesn't show up in my contacts that I know right there, it is a scam.
Speaker 4: Well that's good, but you know, I hate to say it, but not everybody is as careful as you. You know.
Speaker 2: I just don't like people. I don't trust people. That's part of it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why we're here at at dark radio station talking to each other. Yeah, the job opportunity thing is bad. Now. Second is one that we all know online shopping and reviews.
Speaker 2: Oh, please explain that for folks who don't know well.
Speaker 4: First of all, one of the reasons why Amazon put verified purchase on some of the reviews was to verify that actually the person bought things there. When you see reviews, a lot of times they will be flowery and descriptive and wonderful and not written by a customer. They'll be written by the company. Talking about all of that, my new book Android Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies. It's on Amazon. It's doing very well and people seem to really like it. And it's in color with bigger So anyway, I saw the reviews and I saw one came in from the UK and it didn't say verified customer. But I don't think they do that from other countries. And I called my cousin in England, I said, did you leave a review of my book? No, so's somebody in the UK. I like that, And some guy from Australia too. But the point is, if you're listening, thank you. The point is the reviews negative and positive are very difficult. You have to really judge a product. You need to know about the product. Like I know when I shop on Amazon, I have to be careful of fabric. I don't know. You and I have spoken. We don't like artificial fabrics. I always read the fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always a crapshoot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the clothing feels so silky on my body. We could go into that deeper, but probably not the time for it. But anyway, the fabric is just difficult, so you have to read the manufacturer's description and read the questions. The questions are on Amazon, for example, are really where you'll get the four one one For those who don't know what the four.
Speaker 2: One one is, that's reference now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back in the old days, if you dialed four to one one on your phone, dial, oh, you tap right, don't know what?
Speaker 2: They don't know what like a rotary phone is?
Speaker 4: Oh that break your nails? Every time I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I had the same problem.
Speaker 4: Did you look good in that? Anyway? The number one bad scam on the internet is impostors and they're there, They're out there, mo Kelly. There have been some impostors. I've let you know when people have hijack not hijacked your account, but copied your Yeah. I can think of five people in this country whose email address is not what they think it is. They probably don't have an email address, and every time they write down, well I need your email address, they put down my email address because we have the same name, and they're from five different And that is the least of it, because I end up with all the junk mail from all these places.
Speaker 2: You too, huh.
Speaker 5: I can't count how many times I've ended up on some obviously insurance list or something where obviously they're just putting down my email address.
Speaker 4: Right right now. To me, that's as far as an impostor. That's the most biggest violation of anything. And people who will shop or sign up for things with your name, Yes, it's terrible. Investment scams lead to the biggest losses. People reported losing money more often when contacted through social media, So be careful who you talk to and engage in a direct message.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't have to be careful talking to you, Marcia Collier. I can verify. You are you, and you are my friend and you are our tech expert. Don't you don't like me saying that, but you are like that. That could be a promo.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that, Stephan, She's going in the promo, Marcia Collier. I love seeing you. Thanks Mo, thank you for all you do.
Speaker 4: You too.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty