Speaker 1: Welcome to the gun Deput Podcast. I am your host, Trevor. My computer is acting a little weird. I know I shared this with you. I know you don't care, but how how can my brand new MacBook pro be this screwed up? Already? I'm hard on computers. Anyway, we're back. Sorry. We had a couple sort of odd episodes, just you know, sort of wanting to branch into new territories. You know, I'm starting to get really into history and things. I was I was reading this book about the Romanovs. I haven't thought about that since high school or whenever I last learned about the Bolsheviks. And it's just there is something about history that captivates me. Science, philosophy, history, theology. That is like the the tetra, the tetrahedron of fascination. I was trying to think of how to say trifecta of four, but I can only come up with tetrahedron. Anyway. So that said, you know, I'm not I don't know history. I'm not a historian, and so it's it's tough. You know, there's this thing that scientists do and I always appreciate people who will remind me of this point in a kind way, and that is we because we are an expert in a particular field, we tend to just assume we're experts, like we just adopt the role of expert, and so any anything that comes up, it's like, well, I'm incredibly smart, let me share my opinions, Like surely everyone wants everyone wants to know what I think, and that is a very dangerous, very dangerous place to be. So I don't want to commit that well trodden mistake by branching into something new too soon. So with that in mind, we're going to stick to our bread and butter, which is sort of this this intersection between you know, my instinct is to say science, but it's not really science necessarily. It's it's really philosophy, just like an honest appraisal of what we can into it, what we what is obvious to us, what we can observe, and whether or not that supports a sort of common sense or intuitive whether or not the existence of God is sort of common sense or intuitive. And of course you guys know from the show that I think it is, and I think you can make increasingly complex scientific or theological or apologetic cases for why that's true. But sometimes I think just the simplest, the simplest things are the most effective. Now I can say something that's very simple in ninety nine out of one hundred people, because they're so bogged down in whatever wherever they're at in their journey, it may not really be compelling. But for that one person where it hits them right at the right time, I think just simple arguments can be incredibly powerful. I mean, one of the ones that William Lane Craig has been popularizing, repopularizing because it's an incredibly old argument. It's a medieval argument is the calom cosmological argument, and it just makes sense. You know, it's hey, we know it's intuitive to us. It's common sense that anything that has a beginning has a cause. This is true of all things. You can sort of trace things back to like approximate cause, but then depending on how you define cause, you kind of have to keep tracing things back further and further and further, and pretty soon you get back to the beginning of the universe. Well, if the universe as at the beginning, then it too has a cause. And when you start thinking about what could cause a universe, you start saying founding pretty uh uh, I will certainly not intuitive if you start sounding pretty like committed to an atheistic worldview, if you start saying things like, well there was no cause, or it's merely the cause is merely random. And the reason why that's not intuitive is the simpler solution clearly just seems like, well, there could be nothing, and yet there's something, and this something is incredibly complex, and it's incredibly complex in a world where the physical laws say it shouldn't be, you know, second law thermodynamics. But what's up, buddy, I'm recording what I know. I approved it. I approved it for you. I feel bad for you, dude, high lied. I have money. I told my son he's discovered Minecraft add ons. We just finished playing like How to Train Your Dragon Minecraft add on. Anyway, he wanted to buy something else. I told him I was out of money, but I approved it. Yeah, feels pretty good. Feels pretty good spending two dollars on your son on a Minecraft add on. My kids are lucky that my parents never would have done that. So I'm like, I'm living out my revenge in a way that benefits my son. Anyway, what was I talking to about Oh, honestly, don't remember something about Colomb's cosmological arguments. Oh yeah, here we are. We find ourselves in this strangely ordered universe that seems fine tuned for life. Now, fine tuned can mean different things. You know. You could argue that we don't really know how fine to the universe is. But clearly there's many potential combinations of constants physical constants that would lead to no universe or universe that does not support life. And yet here we are, and we know things tend to decay towards chaos, but yet here we are in a very incredibly ordered world, incredibly ordered, and the natural state of things seems like chaos. But yet we kind of claw order out of chaos, which is a central religious theme. And so I don't know, it just seems kind of intuitive to say, well, yeah, maybe maybe there's a reason for all this, you know, and you don't even have to take it that far. It's like maybe maybe something or someone made this or toppled that first domino in that long chain of causal events. It's just really hard to imagine a universe where there is no first cause. And of course there's a million other things we talk about on the show that sort of support this idea. So I came across this interview this is with Ross, do that do that? I didn't realize this guy was like not liked like people don't. People tend not to like him. People call him the most annoying guy at the New York Times. But it's funny because I think he's pretty interesting. He interviewed bart Erman, which is a you know, atheist New Testament scholar. They has a lot of animosity towards the Christian religion, does tons of interviews, writes good book. I mean, I would say much more reserved books, you know, because there's there are works of scholarships, so it's not quite as emotional. He actually does a pretty good job of separating the two. But when he's just doing a casual interview, he yeah, he's has a lot of animosity towards Christendom. And I thought he did a great job interview. And I was surprised to learn that he was Catholic. He objected in places, but he didn't overstate his case like many Christian apologists will do. And so I thought it was great. I thought it was interesting. He sort of became well known to me when he interviewed Peter Teel. Peter Teele the the the billionaire homosexual conservative who is building the Beast Systems. He's a large shareholder in Pallentier. He's a one of or the founder. After he's sold PayPal with Elon Musk, and Elon Musk put his thirty million into SpaceX Solar City in Tesla, and Peter Teal put his money into Teal Capital and Pallenteer and has been working on enslaving humanity ever since. Anyway, so Ross asked him, should they're having this crazy discussion about the Antichrist. Peter Teel's like obsessed with the Antichrist. He he's come up. He's just sort of invented his own like theolog theology around who the Antichrist is or what he is. And he sort of sees the Antichrist as like anti technological sentiment, right, like people who don't basically people who aren't like falling over themselves to help Palenteer, you know, build lethal drones that could kill people onto man. Anyone who sees that as like not good is actually it kind of embodies this anti Christ spirit. And so they're just going on about this, and Ross is appropriately skeptical, I thought, And finally he goes, do you think humanity should endure? And Peter Teel, being just an odd guy, took like way too long to answer, and Ross goes, that should be an easy answer, like he paused so long that Ross is like looking around, he's doing like the Jim Helper thing, or he like looks at the camera like what breaks the fourth wall, goes, you know, surely you should be able to answer that question, and finally he's like, yeah, yeah, I think humanity should endure anyway. So that's how I first heard about Ross. So I was excited to see that he is being interviewed by our buddy everybody's favorite guy, Alex O'Connor, And it's how I thought it was fascinating. Now I'm listening to this and I'm like, oh my gosh, this is my this is how I this is my viewpoint. Like I'm I have personal interests in theology and the different you know, learning about the different denominations and all the details. But really, the one thing I'm sure of and the thing I'd like to get back to on the show is just that, you know, God must be real you know, it's it. I think it would be irrational to think otherwise, and that I think that is the way the culture is moving now. Most people, I don't think are very like I don't think they take it much beyond that, but I think that's something most of us, or maybe I'm just speaking for myself, art like becoming increased seemingly confident in him, and so I really I really liked his viewpoint. And we'll play this in a minute. I'm really nervous my computer's gonna do that thing where the audio is like wraw again, So hopefully that doesn't that doesn't happen. But anyway, I love the episode. I'm sitting here, I'm thinking about how great this is, and then I make the mistake of reading the comments. And I've never seen because Alex O'Connor's audience is probably mostly agnostic, but he'll he'll talk to William Lane Craig and everyone's like, great combo, very interesting, you know, I disagree, but still very interesting with this guy. They were like brutal. They were talking about this is the worst interview. This should not be on the internet. And I'm curious, like, well, do you guys have any sense and email me, guys, I view book at gmail dot com. Do you have any sense why that would be. It really doesn't make sense to me because in my opinion, like he was not like number one, I thought the interview was interesting, but number two there's like it's very mild, Like he's not really making like a crazy case. The book is you know, I forget the title, but he's basically trying to make the case that you're obliged to believe in God, like the rational view is to believe that God is real at this point, like this is where we're at in our society, which I agree. I agree, So I was loving it in the dude, the comments, the comments were absolutely brutal. So I'm just closing a few. I'm closing our studio, I'm closing my Python internal development environments, I'm closing my MRI viewers hoping that we can hit play on this bad boy. So we'll get started right now. The title of the video is Religion is Obligation.
Speaker 2: Dalfit.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the introduction of your book, Believe, which I promise I would waive you say that religious belief is not just an option but an obligation.
Speaker 2: What does that mean. It means that there are enough reasons sort of in front of us that don't require insanely complicated philosophical arguments or personal mystical experiences to think that the universe exists for a reason, that it is a fashioned or created thing rather than a accidental or entirely contingent thing, and that human life has some sort of cosmic purpose within that framework. And I take that to be sort of the jumping off point for religious exploration to interest and belief. So in sort of a minimal Yeah, it's a minimal claim. In a way, it's a maximal claim if you find it preposterous, But it's not a claim that you know, everyone is obliged to do X or Y or z or fully fulfill the dictates of a particular church. But being interested in religion, I think there's more than enough out there and before your eyes to make that intellectually obligatory.
Speaker 3: As in, you think that when you do take a look at this evidence, there's enough there that to dismiss it and to believe in this alternate view that you talked about the sort of accidental contingent existence becomes a full on mistake. In other words, do you sort of grant any credence to the agnostic? And I mean, like the informed agnostic who isn't just someone who hasn't looked into it, you.
Speaker 2: Mean someone hypothetically who hosts a podcast on which he's constantly theologians and philosophers on. I mean, I'm, you know, not to personalize things at the outset, but you know, I think I think that the agnostic who is exploring religion and engaged in religious arguments is probably clearing the bar at the outset. And then the question becomes, at what point does that become kind of a you know, a hamster wheel that you trap yourself in.
Speaker 1: A bit, man, I feel like this is my shrink talking to me. I would love that. What do you love if everyone watched this and was just like, yeah, I agree. You know, clearly the world is mysterious, and clearly there's not going to come a day where we've just explained everything. Like something A popular argument that people make less now, but that was very popular amongst like the rational atheist books, was this idea that you know, people making arguments for God especially if they're scientific arguments, but making arguments for God or making a God of the gaps argument, and so, you know, the the specter, is that really the right use of that word, because spectrum means ghosts, but I'm not sure if I mean spectrum. I'm gonna I'm gonna go with spectrum. Okay. The spectrum of possible things that can be explained by science is ever increasing, right, and uh, and therefore whatever remains is attributed to God by those you know, few people, those few superstitious science deniers that insist there's a God. You know, the things that God explained shrinks. Actually, though, I think what I think, what we're all becoming becoming more aware of, is that science does not explain things. It describes them. And so again, the map in the terrain metaphor, you know, the map of California is not California. It's a useful predictive model. It is a guide. It allows you to make predictions, it informs you, but it is not the thing. You know, you can't make a perfect map of California and go, oh, we've explained California. We've explained what it is and where it comes from. That's that's a category air and so increasingly that's the case. And I've seen this happen in the last few years. I think it turns the whole dynamic on its head. Science has been trying to become better and better at measuring things and making better and better theories and predictive models that explain things. But the thing is they don't actually explain it. And we've talked about that at length. So let's just get back to the interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do think that the the convinced atheist is working against the preponderance of the evidence, and the person who says there's nothing here of interest, you know, in the same way. So yeah, the sort of the religiously interested agnostic is at least, you know, at least on the right path. Yeah, surely.
Speaker 3: Well, when talking about reasons to believe in God, you do sort of have this wealth of opportunity because there are arguments everywhere you look. I have sometimes said that I feel like the best argument for God might be the argument for God's existence. From the number of arguments for God's existence, It's just so funny that anywhere you look you can construct some kind of syllogism. Right, But in the book, it seems like you kind of really focus on two things as pertains to natural thel.
Speaker 1: I thought I might explain the word syllogism, because that's not really a word you hear every day, and I'm actually not sure I'll do a great job, but I'll try Jatgybda if you must know the best explanation. But my sense of the word syllogism is that it's a way of making an argument that gets you to agree with one thing, like there's something that is clearly true, and then therefore this other like subordinate argument must also be true. I think the klom cosmological argument is actually probably a syllogriism. I'm not sure, but you know, hey, the universe has a beginning, right, And until recently, basically everyone would say right, and you say, well, everything that has a beginning has a cause, right, right? And then you say okay, and then here comes your minor premise, your subordinate premise, which is, therefore the universe has a cause, a cause of agent. My son's mad at me for not buying him a second minecraft to add on, See, this is what happens. This is what happens. You think you're doing the right thing. You give in, you spend the four dollars. So he's now drumming right next to me, and he knows he's doing it on purpose. But I'm gonna stay strong. I'm not going to give in. I should, actually, you know what, I should go play with them. Let's listen to a few more menaces and we'll wrap.
Speaker 3: This up, one of them being the orderliness and apparent design of the universe, and the other being consciousness. I'm more interested in the second, generally, but both of these are important to me, and I suppose I kind of wanted to probe your reasons for thinking that these are meaningful cases, and then also why it leads to the particular conclusion that you've given them. I suppose maybe it might be good to start with the mind stuff, just because that's what I'm interested in. Consciousness is clearly a mystery, and I think that when you speak to most atheists you might rub up against a kind of materialist emergentist. Oh, consciousness is just something science hasn't explained. It will get there one day. I'm not like that. I think consciousness needs to be taken seriously.
Speaker 1: I think that, thank goodness, is there anything worse than an emergencyst What did he call them? Someone who thinks that consciousness is an emergent property of some physical system in the brain. This is It's crazy to me how many neuroscientists feel this way. You know, I'm in the field, but I'm not in the consciousness field. You know, I do neuroscience research. We don't you know, the type of research I do does not really butt up against this kind of stuff. But from the limited insight I've had working in the field, it is shocking to me how philosophically ignorant neuroscientists tend to be. It's like, it's like if you just I don't know how to explain it, but you just like you're so immersed, You're so deep in the weeds of your field that you like can't see out of the weeds. Like you think you think the complexity is a solution to everything. But that's that is that is what do they call it? Like, you know, when it does not compute what's the word I'm looking for? Oh my gosh, this is gonna this is this is gonna drive me crazy, Like not a syntax air but a non sequitur. Oh my gosh, it just is comp it's a category air, it's a non sequitur, and they're just so deep in the specific like nuances of their field they can't like come up for breath. So I'm very I'm very relieved to hear that. And we knew this that that Alex does not share this emergent property view, which is completely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Consciousness is probably more ubiquitous and foundational, and people typically give it credit for But I want to know why it is that you think that the mystery of consciousness and the experience of you consciousness points to something more.
Speaker 2: Like God, cocaine and morphine. It was dispensed like candy and that.
Speaker 1: Commercial. Sorry that sounds exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure which point should come first, actually, but I would say you start with the mystery itself, right, And I mean one of the questions that sort of attends religious debate is, you know, does the supernatural exist? Meaning right to do? And there's a million ways to define the supernatural that we're not going to resolve here today, but I'm trying, I try in the book to work with kind of you know, folk definitions, common sense definitions, right and there it would just mean does something exist that does not appear to be simply contained in a materialist description of the world and consciousness is when you get into those arguments, people sort of move quickly to you know, do ghosts exist? Do miracles exist? Near death experiences? Are those real? And I talk a talk about those things in the book. Those are also important to my argument. But my basic view is that you know, there's a form of supernatural experience. That is, it's easy to miss it because it's right here in front of our eyes. Like you and I are in a particular way having supernatural experiences already right now, just in communicating with one another. We are sort of sharing thoughts hopefully, you know, depending on how the conversation goes. That are very very difficult to reduce to physical descriptions of sound waves traveling from my mouth to your ears and back and forth. Very difficult to reduce to brain mapping and neurons firing, even if you can sort of reduce them to localities and say, oh, this part of the conversation.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if this guy's steal in my stuff or if I'm stealing his.
Speaker 2: But I like it activates that part of Alex's brain and so on this really profound as you yourself, I think would agree difficult to bridge philosophical chasm between the materialist description and what seems to happen to human beings in conscious experience. And I think that alone sort of at the very least sets up a question, which is, you know, in a way what you could say one of the first religious questions is what is primary mind or matter? Right? And we have access to both, and modern science and all its great achievements are founded on prioritizing the study of matter and what matter does and how matter interacts. And it's been a tremendously fruitful project. But the fruits of that project have not contained within them an explanation of mind. And everything that we expeliens about matter, physicality, touching your knee, touching the table, drinking water, anything else is itself processed and experienced through mind. Yes, right, So I think that's that's a decent starting place for saying it's at least possible that mind is as fundamental to the universe as as matter. And then you sort of move from there. There's a few different directions you might move, right. One direction might be to take the kind of panpsychist perspective, which is probably what you're gesturing at by saying you think consciousness may be all over the place, right, Yeah, the dryads who were hewn is this real wood or fake? Anyway? If dryads were harmed in the making of this, of this object, they might be listening to us right now, right. I think if you.
Speaker 1: This is he's sort of mocking it. And I do too, you know, but this is what Mike Weist, who we had on the show, is brilliant, brilliant nerves scientists do an amazing consciousness research for him. Pan psychism was the answer, you know, and there's maybe a version of that that is true. A lot of these words are difficult to define, you know. If this is an information universe, which we sort of think it is, there's a degree to which, like all information might be quote unquote on the spectrum of consciousness, however, clearly not as conscious as you or I. I don't know. It's tough to say the panpsychism thing. To me, it's tough to wrap your head around. But hey, who knows.
Speaker 2: Make the panpsychis move and say that consciousness is sort of a widespread property that already takes you in a religious direction, because then it becomes very unlikely that you and I are instantiation of consciousness is the highest and most powerful and most important in the universe. Not impossible, right, Yeah, but it seems it seems a bit unlikely. So even I would say it's a very swift movement from panpsychism to pantheism. Right. And then you're already in the terrain not of Western Christianity, but of you know, certain Eastern religions and so on, Right, And you could get from there to Christianity through various modifications. You could be a pan andtheist, and then the next thing you know, you're you know, you're saying the Hill Mary or something.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's one movement you could make. Another movement is through the highly provisional but also highly suggestive things that we observe in the you know, the weird zones of modern science, right in quantum physics in particular, right in the apparent evidence that is highly contested and debatable, but sort of there nonetheless, right, that there is some kind of interaction between consciousness and matter where the observer the sort of perception, measurement and sort of conscious awareness seems to collapse contingencies into actualities, right, which is certainly not something that scientists in eighteen forty seven or eighteen seventy seven would have confidently expected, and very smart scientists have been trying to wrestle their way out of that interpretation. But that's there. It's interesting, and again, it is the kind of thing you would expect if mind were sort of important, primary and meaningful. And it connects you again to religion and religious arguments in various ways. The simplest way would be to say, well, you know, the kind of interactions that our minds have with matter that sort of take possibility and create actuality are perhaps analogous to the larger way in which God sustains the cosmos at any given moment. Right, that all of these actus rualities are made actual by by the mind of God, right, which takes you to a form of classical theism. So that's another line you could follow, and then the last one. There are more, but one that I think is this argument appeals to me, although it doesn't appeal to everyone, and lots of people.
Speaker 1: I actually I like this argument that's coming up, So let's just listen to it, and then we'll rapible.
Speaker 2: Find it sort of hard to follow, not hard to follow, but don't find it intuitive and think that I make too much of it. But I think it's very notable that there appears to be this very strong connection between the capacities of our consciousness and the overall structure of the universe.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned, you know, arguments from design and so on, right, which I'm sure very very familiar to your audience, maybe tediously familiar.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But what's interesting is not just that we have certain evidences that the universe is fine tuned in various ways or structured in various ways to allow for the emergence of stars, planets, and ultimately human life. That sort of.
Speaker 1: I'm lowering my Of course, we get the commercial, the political James tallerco for Texas commercial right in the middle of his point. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Skip perhaps evidence of power reaching down, but then the power of our consciousness also reaches back up. We have been able, at step after step and level after level to understand and fathom the larger structure in which we find ourselves. And you could say, from an evolutionary perspective, well, that's just what you'd expect, because we evolve reason to dodge panthers. Reason is very useful to predict when we're predators are going to attack us, and then it turns out also to be useful for figuring out how to split the atom and you know, figure out Newton and Einstein as laws and everything else. And that's where, yeah, that's where sort of this disagreement that I don't always get over with people lies. I don't think there's any necessary reason at all why you would.
Speaker 1: I have to say, under the current conception of evolution, I don't know how to square that. And I know people will be like, oh, come on, you know, clearly being able to split the atom is advantageous, and it's like, is it you know? I mean, I don't know. I just listen. Obviously, all creatures sort of find their evolutionary niche, right, because you can't. You can't just do a straight up argument from reproductive success because in that case, like ants would be the most successful, it's it's your your ability to thrive within a niche. And certainly we've carved out a niche for us, but it's just hard to imagine the selective pressures that would move us from whatever, you know, the proposed common ancestor is with chimpanzees, to being able to fathom and contemplate the scale of the universe, of the little Aputian biological world, and the sub atomic quantum nature of reality, which is, you know, just Begger's belief, and the infinite you know, nearly infinite let's say, scale of time and space. It it's hard to square. Now. I'm not saying you can't make an argument. I know, I know you can. It's just to me it seems much less intuitive than just presuming that this place was made. You know, the system we find ourselves was made, and if it has a beg that's reasonable. But I don't know. I mean, even if it doesn't have a beginning, to me, it seems reasonable because there is still just the sense of like, it doesn't this doesn't need to be here, you know, it doesn't need to be here, and yet it is. And so the instinct is like why. And people think I'm saying why, like why, you know, why are we here? That's not what I mean. Like, clearly, the natural state is nothingness. You know, all things, all things move towards nothingness in the absence of mind or maybe you could say life. But certainly mind. This is this is entropy, this is what happens yet here we are. I don't know if that would be particularly compelling to a scientist or not, but it just strikes me as intuitive. So I agree with the title of this episode. Religion is an obligation and not an obligation to be born. You know, it isn't It isn't a responsibility. I mean, I think you could argue it is, but that's not what he's arguing. He's arguing you are obliged by your faculties of reason to think that, yeah, this this thing we're in, there must be something behind it. There must be something which underlies it. There must be a first cause, there must be a legislator behind the fundamental laws of this universe. So I think we'll wrap up there. Email me at God's view Book at gmail dot com. We might continue this interview. We'll see, we'll see what else comes out in the next couple of days. And until then, stay safe out there and God bless