Speaker 1: Hi, this is Bill Mumy from Lost in Space and Battle on five the Twilights on ETCA. But what's more important than that is you're listening to The Doctor Sky Show. And that's a good thing, a real good thing.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen to our show, always exciting guests. Here on this particular edition of our show, Ladies and Gentlemen, a very special guest today will be speaking with Bill Mummy, actor, musician, writer, and so much more. Best remembered for his role as young Will Robinson on the television classic Loston Space. Actor musician writer, Bill Mummy was born back on February one, nineteen fifty four, in San Gabriel, California. After beginning his TV career at age five with an appearance on the series Riverboat, went on to appear on countless program in the years to follow, including great guest shots on smashes like The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Bumming additionally made his film debut in the nineteen sixties The Wizard of Baghdad, going on to rolls in features including nineteen sixty three. Is a Child Is Waiting in nineteen sixty five, deer Burgitt. Also in nineteen sixty five, he was cast on Lost in Space, remaining, of course, with the cult favorite series until it's ceased production three years later. He also has important stories to talk about Babylon five. A privilege and honor to have actor, musician and writer Bill Mummy here to talk about his upcoming appearance at Comic Con thirteen this Memorial Day weekend at the Phoenix Convention Center. Bill, A real privilege and honor. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Doctor Sky. It's good to be with you. It's real good. You sound like a superhero. It's doctor Sky. I kind of like that. You know that that would make a comic book character.
Speaker 2: I'd had to use you. Well, that's so wonderful to have you here. And as I was mentioned into the audio to you off air, you know when I was a kid who wasn't a person as a young boy that wanted to be Will Robinson. And we're so grateful to be able to hear your story today and in this short interview today again highlighting your parents coming up here at the Great Comic Con Comic Con Phoenix Comic Con thirteen this Memorial Day weekend at the Phoenix Convention Center. Bill talk to us about how you actually got started in the show business world. And I understand from reading part of your bio this was your interest in getting into this. It wasn't your parents, you know, like a lot of parents that want to force their kids to do this as actors and child models. You you wanted to pursue this career.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true. My parents got married to each other kind of late in life. My mother was forty one years old when I was born. My dad was forty nine, and he was almost retired at that point in time. He was a pretty well the guy. I broke my leg when I was four years old playing Zoro. You might say it turned out to be a lucky break because while I was in the cast for several long weeks, you know, not able to run around outside with my pals, I just sat around every day and waited for my favorite shows to come on the television set. Of course, we didn't have DVRs or anything. You could, you know, watch whatever you wanted to do. You just had to be patient and wait for your shows to come on. And I sat there watching George Reeves as Superman and Guy Williams as Zorro, and something about those caped adventurer superhero type characters just absolutely resonated within my very young being, and I was adamant about wanting to get inside the television set and be like Zoro or Superman. My mother had worked as a writer's assistant at twenty century Fox Studios for eleven years before she married my dad. Her father, my grandfather, Harry Gould, had been a successful agent in the thirties and early forties. His probably most high profile client was Boris Karloff, and he handled a lot of writers and directors, but some actors, and you know, he negotiated the Frankenstein deeal and everything. And to make a long story short, my family wasn't intimidated by, impressed with, or you know, in the show business. Was just a natural thing, wasn't a big deal. We lived in West Los Angeles, near all the studios. I was an only child, and my father's perspective was, well, you know, if that's really what he wants to do, and you want to take him to my mom, then go ahead and see what happens. So you know, you can't escape your destiny. My mother wisely signed me up for a show called Robber Room, which was basically just a regular kind of preschool television show. I think it was syndicated all over the country. I remember it, well, Yeah, regular civilians. You weren't necessarily an entertainer to be on Romper Room. But she did that to see if I would be comfortable under the lights and with a camera on me and stuff, which I thought was smart when I look back on it, and I was very comfortable, and I actually stayed for a extra session on Robber Room, and so we got an agent and started working. And Bob's your uncle.
Speaker 2: Well, Bill, I say this because I spent a very short time and I don't want to spend time on my life here. This is an interview about your very interesting career which continues in force even as we're speaking today. And absolutely always young and always thinking about the next thing to do here, the next new thing. I spent a little time in television doing commercials with an agent, and I realized the only reason I'm mentioning it just to have you comment on it further is to me, it was extremely a lot of pressure. You know, obviously when you go in for those auditions and interviews. You know, I was rejected a lot of times, and I'll be very honest with you about that. I didn't get the part. But isn't that difficult obviously for any kid out there when you're young, handling the rejection and going through the pace. You're the person who succeeded To give some advice out there, because I'm sure a lot of parents who listened to the program, they say, you know, I'm going to get my Johnny or Jeanie into show business.
Speaker 1: Any advice, well, you know, I would imagine that my best advice would be, you know, follow the energy of your children, not follow the energy of your own ego. My parents were very supportive of my choices. If I didn't get a part, that it just was no big deal. Nobody put pressure on me for better or worse. I got so many I was very prolific as a youngster, So you know, I mean, yes, the audition process can be stressful, whether you're fifty or whether you're five. But the you know, some people have certain gifts that they just are given. Maybe you can make a great Caesar salad. Maybe you can throw a baseball straight and fast. Maybe you can memorize dialogue and say it believably, or maybe you can play the accordion, whatever it might be. We all have our gifts, and I think that, you know, I truly had those gifts to act, to become another character, and to kind of it was. It was always very easy for me to memorize a lot of dialogue quickly, no stress to do that. It was just very easy. And I liked the process of, you know, pretending to be other people. And I was very fortunate to work in so many different arenas of acting as a kid. You know, one week I would be you know, a scary mutant on the Twilight Zone. Then I'd go do a Walt Disney movie for a couple of months, and I'd come back and you know, be un Bewitched, or then I'd go do a western with some you know. I mean, I got to work in all those different categories with so many great actors and actresses and directors that it was really it was a blessing. We didn't want to be tied down to a television series until Lost in Space came along, and when it did, it was exactly like the reason I wanted to be an actor. In the first place. You know, Will Robinson, we liked Zoro or Superman. He was a superhero.
Speaker 2: Basically, ooks are just joining us here. Bill Mummy, actor, musician, and writer, and so much more is joining us here on our special edition of our show today. He's also talking about his upcoming appearance, which we'll get to here in a moment. Phoenix Comic Con thirteen taking place this Memorial Day weekend at the Phoenix Convention Center. Interesting enough as time flies. As our special guest will tell us in a little while, this is a twentieth anniversary of Babylon five, a reunion that also takes place this Saturday, five pm to six thirty at the Comic Con event taking place in Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that blows my mind. You know, when someone reminds me that Lost in Space was forty years ago. You know, I know it was the nineteen sixties, and I know I was a kid, so certainly, and I have great affection for all those people. We still get together socially often. But when you tell me it was twenty years ago that we started Babylon five, that blows my mind, because there, you know, I was, I was an adult, I was settled in I had. My son was a baby when we started the show. My daughter was born on the second season of that show. But when I think twelve years is past, that went by really quick, really quick. But it'll be nice to get together with everybody from the cast, and oh, I'm sure they're sisky and it'll be fun. I look forward to seeing everybody.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the Twilight Zone. One particular episode that I'm just so enamored with and so many people it's a good life. You know it. You were there and it airing No. Number third, nineteen sixty one year Anthony Fremont in the little town of what Peaksville, Ohio. For anybody out there, shame on you if you haven't seen this episode. But to me, this is like what the Time magazine, I understand rates this the number three and the best of all the episodes of the Twilight Zone. But tell us a little bit about that episode, because boy, I'll tell you the angles of the camera, your energy. That whole episode to me is like, boy, that really trades stamp marked you and stamped you on the you know, in Memoryville there. I can't forget that one.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good, you can't forget it. It's real good. Get out of the Cornfield free card, Doctor Sky, you know. I mean, Anthony Fremont is certainly an iconic character, and I'm lucky to have played him. And I did three of the original Twilight Zones, then a cameo in the feature film, and then I wrote one of the revised series, and then we returned to that character and that show with Chlorus Leachman and my own dog Liliana for a sequel forty years later called It's Still a Good Life, which was really a special special treat for me to go back with Cloris to that character. But in terms of the original episode, it is I think most of all the Twilight Zones hold up really really well. Rod Serling was such a singular talent and so grateful that I spent some time with him and knew him briefly even though I was little. And James Sheldon directed that episode, and I worked with him several times when I was young, and he was a wonderful director and very very pleasant to hang around. Chloris Leachman is a gift to any actor who gets the opportunity to work alongside her, for she's so great and she bumps her game up. And even though I was I guess six, maybe seven when we made that show, or seven when I stared, I learned a lot from her. She taught me things at that early age. She's still a good friend of mine. I see her somewhat often, and yeah, I'm not ashamed or you know, puffed up to say that's a really good television show.
Speaker 2: No, it's an awesome experience. Just a little bit more. If you can tell us Rod Sterling amazing man from what I've read, you've met him, tell us a little bit about him, any story or something.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting to me in my recollections of mister Serling is that in other instances, when the producer, creator, the boss of a television series comes onto the set, people in the crew and the cast, they usually get a little uptight, you know what I mean. Like when Erwin Allen would walk on the Lost and Space said, everybody was like, oh attention, Irwin's here, you know. But with mister Serling, when he came on the sets of the Twilight Zones, everybody in the crew was really happy and at ease and very pleased to see him there. They all wanted to discuss upcoming episodes that he was working on. In essence, he was the star of the Twilight Zone because there was no reg or cast members, so ergo, you don't have that potential for egos to get kind of out of control on a television series because people were working for you know, three or four days, and then there would be a whole new cast. So the only regulars on the Twilight Zone were the crew and Rod Serling. So I remember him being on this set. I remember him telling jokes. I remember him being a very light presence, and when you see him he seems pretty brooding and dark and perhaps kind of moody. But I recall him being very very light on the set. Everybody very comfortable in his presence. And the first episode of the Twilight Zone I did, which was called Long Distance Call, the story about a little boy who's dying grandmother gives him a toy telephone. Then she dies and then he speaks to her from the Great Beyond and she tries to get him to join her in the afterlife. When we were filming that, Rod Serling came onto the set and he had something about this big climactic scene that didn't feel right to him, and we just stopped production for about forty five minutes or so when he's walked over to the corner of the soundstage and rewrote this great scene and we shot it the way he rewrote it immediately, and it was just, you know, so cool because it was much better. He really makes it better quickly. He was cool. I mean, it's not like he and I went out for margaritas after after we wrapped every day, as I was, you know, seven years old or something, but he must have liked it. I went back three times.
Speaker 2: I'm really privileged to have you here, Bill Mummy, actor, musician, and writer, and so much more. We're reminiscing literally legies and gentlemen about time and space and no pun intended, but yes, we're talking now about this very amazing television series in American television, Lost in Space. This is how I really came to know you and so many other people through our television sets. And talk about that, because to me, that has to be another their amazing part. As the space program is going on, we're racing to the moon. So many similarities here, but talk to us a little bit about your role in that. I mean that would take hours, but some of.
Speaker 1: The I could. I could. I could babble on about Lost in Days for a long time. The part of Will Robinson was offered to me. I didn't audition for it. I was extremely happy to to fall into that project. My family lived less than a mile from the studio. I used to ride my bike, my shwindow cutlery to the studio half the time. You know, Will Robinson was everything I wanted to get into television to be. He was really smart, he was really capable. He could program the robot, he could fly the ship. He saved everybody's butt week after week. He had these cool little superhero outfits. He had a laser gun and he used it several times, which I like. Who wouldn't like Will Robinson? And all of those people are are that are still with us, are our dear like family to me, and we all get together often. It was a wonderful three and a half years, and I never had a bad day on Lawton Space, And quite honestly, I would return to that character this afternoon if the opportunity presented it itself.
Speaker 2: See folks, Now, that's an interesting statement from the man who did it and the man who continues to talk about it. Bill Mummy, here is our special guest. You know, I understand from all the actors that you obviously have that are still with us, you obviously have a close relationship with If you would, sir, just talk with us that is a little bit about Jonathan Harris. I know that there's a special bonding that was between the two of you, and if you'd like to share some of that with the audience, I'm sure they'd.
Speaker 1: Like to hear that. Yes, indeed, he was a one of a kind. Oh dear, oh dear, Jonathan Harris. How can you speak of Jonathan Harris without great explatives of wonder? Jonathan single handedly created the character of doctor Smith. He was brought on the show to be a snarling, one dimensional saboteur villain, and he very wisely understood that that would get boring and he would probably be written off or killed off in a handful of episodes, so he slowly started to turn him into the character we love to hate. You know that with all of the alliterative insults that he threw at the robot, you, bubbleheaded booby, etc. They were all written by Jonathan. He used to just completely rewrite his dialogue and Somewhere mid way through the first season, he was called into Irwin Allen, our creator producer, his office, and Irwin Allen said to Jonathan, hey, I know what you're doing. Do it more. It was a very interesting, very specific period in time, that mid sixties period. I mean, if you look at Lost in Space, which started in nineteen sixty five as a black and white adventure ensemble of this family against the alien environments that they faced, it kind of quickly became as it went to the second season and we went to this wow color version. It became this kind of campy pop art piece which was nineteen sixty six nineteen sixty seven, and we reflected that cultural change and it went to the extreme for a while, and then by the third season we did eighty four episodes, and by the third season, I think it was more of an amalgam of both. It kind of became sci fi and comedy at the same time. And Will Robinson, my character, was really the grounding force throughout all of those episodes because I always played it straight, whether you know, whether the robot was, you know, wearing some scarecrow outfit or doctor Smith was acting like, you know, a maniac. I always played it straight. Will All always believed the environment that he was in. So I think that that's why it's kind of seen through his eyes more than anyone else's. Now I'm curious about this. You're on the set, of course, in this particular series eighty three and then eighty four episodes as you described to us, Describe that set, because if you look into the background, is that a wall with a painting? I mean, how large a set or were there multiple sets? We had three permanent sound stages at twenty century Fox. It was a great, great studio and a great time to be there. There were so many wonderful productions going on every week every month. But we had three stages permanently, and what is now known as Century City in Los Angeles was most of our back a lot where we also shot a lot of our exterior stuff. You know. There was the interior stage where we had the upper deck of the Jupiter two and that little camp scene around it, you know, with the sand and the bad foam rubber rocks and yet, and there was a big canvas painting around that, And then there was another set that had the lower deck of the Jupiter two on it and other interiors that we would use for different places we went into. And then we had another set that had like the space pod and blah blah blah blah blah. We had three of them, and it was, you know, Irwin Allen's designs that were actually done by a guy named paul's ast put Naevitch. I'll cluse you on that later. Anyway, you know, he had a tendency to really make his pilots wonderful. Our music was done by John Williams. You know. The robot. The robot was designed by Robert Kinoshita, who had also designed Robbie the robot from Forbidden Planet. The props, the ship, the chariot, the robot, et cetera, the costumes, the laser guns. It all looked great. And he spent a lot of money on his pilots, and he cast his projects I think really well if I do say so myself. And then you know, as we progressed onto weekly television, he got a lot cheaper. We used to share a stage. You know, there were two stages within this one kind of building. We would share stage ten and eleven with Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, another Rwin Allen production, and I swear to you this is true. He'd have some poor stuntman in a you know, rubber wetsuit with a mask on, being some underwater creature in voyage to the bottom of the sea, and he would literally just walk that guy over to our stage and then spray paint him like orange or silver. Wow, we'd use him as our talka budget. I love it because we also had David Hetison of the Voids at the bottom of the Sea here, another great personality. But in this limited time that we have, I want to try to get so much in here. And I appreciate your guests appearance here today. Talk a little bit about Bob May inside the robot, and also I guess Dick is he the gentleman who does the voice of the robot?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yep, Bobby and Dick and Jonathan are no longer on this plane of reality, but they were great, and Bobby worked was really the unsung hero of the show. He worked really, really, really hard. He loved being inside that prop and believe me, I was in there once or twice. It's incredibly claustrophobic and weird. There's all these wires and electricity and charges and batteries running right around your head. And certainly it took special effects. Guys. You know, they had to get him in and out of it. You couldn't get out of it yourself. It was a I couldn't have done it. But Bobby really brought character to the robot. He invented that kind of the way he would twist his bubble and flail his arms around, and he memorized all of the dialogue, and he gave us all of the robot's dialogue on set, and of course, you know, it sounded like a guy inside of a So it was re recorded by Dick Tufeld, who was a fantastic voiceover artist, great guy and a real jazz kind of series. He was actually really really good friends with Miles Davis, which is an interesting thing to be able to say, because I don't think many people can say they were friends with Miles Davis. But Dick two.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm very fortunate to have you as a guest to hear all these different stories and amazing things going on here. And I saw just one thing Bill a painting done very high class painting. It shows a desert landscape with the Jupiter two in the distance and the C fifty seven starship from Forbidden Planet. In a fifty seven chovy, we have the two robots driving off into the sunset. I thought that was an amazing piece of Noah.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. We had Robbie the robot who he guest starred on two episodes has Lost Night. It was good to have him around.
Speaker 2: Well in our last few moments with you, and again I appreciate your time. Let's talk about the main reason, of course for your parents. Phoenix Comic Con thirteen. Again, ladies, gentlemen, this is coming Memorial Day. We can event begins made the twenty third through the twenty sixth of the Phoenix Convention Center. Our special guest Bill Mummy will be there because of another special event, the twentieth anniversary of Babylon five, a reunion that takes place Saturday five pm to six thirty pm at Comic Con. But talk about in the last few moments Babylon five. I get this means theme and I wonder if you agree. Bill. The main theme that I get is sacrifice for a greater cause as one of the themes that I get at at Babylon five. You were there for so long tell us a bit about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I was there for five years, and like the Twilight Zone, Babylon five is really one man's vision. The way the Twilight Tone was Rod Serling's, Babylon Five is Joester Zinsky's. He was the creator and he kind of upped the anti for sci fi shows because Babylon Five, although things changed over the course of the project, it was largely in place. The whole arc of all five seasons, and the arcs of the characters were largely place from the beginning, and there were major swings and major arcs for all of these characters. So you have to applaud somebody who persisted in maintaining his original vision and telling it like a novel. In fact, when Dabylon five finished the fifth season, the networks and Warner Brothers wanted to carry on, and Joe's attitude was, no, this is this is the story. I set out the tale and I've told it and I'm not going to milk it any further. For me, playing the alien Lanier was tough, you know, physically, I had to undergo a lot of time in the makeup chair and wear this a little you know, it was it was It was a physically a challenge that I never really got too acclimated to wearing that alien stuff. But the character was a great Laneer was a great character to play, and it was you know, I'm proud and to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: Project absolutely as we are proud to have you here today, sir. And let's talk a little bit in a few moments we had love your music career. There's another spin off and probably a lot of things that people don't know about. Bill Mummy, talk about that because that also occupies your time.
Speaker 1: A lot of that's that is my main you know, artistic alley that I'm in and for you know, I started playing guitar when I was ten. There are several episodes of Lost in Space where little Will Robinson is out there strumming a guitar, you know, singing old folk songs in Lost in Space. So it goes way back to that. My next solo album is called Illuminations. It'll be out at the end of June. I'm working on two new videos for that. Right now, I'm writing a comic book called The Curse of the Movie on a Blue Water Press. I do a weekly radio show called The Real Good Radio Hour. I'm pretty busy doing voiceovers and animation and where I just finished a I'm a recurring character on a show called Bravest Warriors that my daughter Liliana is star of, and you know it's I'm still pretty busy and enjoying all of these different arenas of showbiz. I get to play in well.
Speaker 2: Bill, it's real privilege and honor. As I mentioned before, this audience, I'm sure learned so much as I did in this interview. I hope we can talk again, but tell us one more time. The Real Good Radio Hour. People can go to their smartphone there, you know, iPhone.
Speaker 1: A Real Good Radio Hour is actually on Wednesdays at seven o'clock, regardless of what coast you happen to be on. It's ww dot KSA, v ksave dot org. But it's all the shows are archived. I've done about one hundred and twenty five of hours of the Real Good Radio Hour, and really it just focuses on different styles of music or different lyrical themes each week, a little bit of information about the artists past and present, and hope it turns people on to some real good music they might not be familiar with and brings back some old friendly favorites that they may not have heard for a while.
Speaker 2: To learn much more, ladies and gentlemen, about Bill Mummy, actor, musician and writer and all the things that he's currently involved in. His flagship website is triblew dot Bill Mummy dot com, And ladies and gentlemen, don't forget the main reason that we had our special guest here today and appreciate his time more than you can imagine folks out there. Busy schedule, Busyman Phoenix Comic Coom thirteen taking place May the twenty third through the twenty sixth here in Phoenix at the Phoenix Convention Center. To learn much more about tickets and availability, go to triblew dot Phoenix coomiccom dot com. And ladies and gentlemen, it's always amazing to have guests that talk about the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, the good stuff of doctor Sky dot com and doctor Sky dot TV. Bill, thank you so much for staying with us, if if you'll be kind enough to stay with us just a few moments off air as we are from top of the hour, appreciate our time today, ladies and gentlemen, with Bill Mummy, actor, musician, writer, and of course Will Robinson. I always wanted to be Will Robinson. I'm sure so many young boys out there. You've really made me so thrilled, sir, to be able to hear your story, and I want to thank you so much for being a part of our show today.
Speaker 1: Well I had a real good time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ladies, and I We'll be back with more interesting programming right after these breaks here at the top of the hour, so stay tuned, we will be right back