Speaker 1: What oh me, Oh, my gosh, there's Dave Crawford. Dave Crawford is in Scotland. Welcome to the other side of Midnight, David Crawford as a truly amazing, spiritual and an important story. You took quite a journey, David. You went into a coma. Before we find out what you found in that coma, what you saw in that coma? How did you get into a coma? What happened?
Speaker 2: Well, thanks all that for having me on.
Speaker 3: Well what happened was basically, I drank too much alcohol and ruined my liver and subsequently died twice on the operating theater.
Speaker 2: Through that, I was.
Speaker 3: Taken to a hospital, had two blood transfusions, and I was in a coma for five days and people were genuinely surprise that I survived it.
Speaker 2: So that's how I ended up there.
Speaker 1: You drank too much, you went into a blackout or did you get into an accident?
Speaker 2: No, No, I never went to an accident.
Speaker 3: I had to bleed parises in my esophagus, which is near hand fatal about fifteen percent of the time.
Speaker 1: That's terrifying. I'm just kind of guessing you don't drink anymore. No, I don't good decision. That was a good decision on your part. Excellent. Did this happen in Scotland?
Speaker 3: No, I don't live in Scotland. I live near the border, but I live in England. I live in a county called Northumberland, which is in England, but it's on the border of Scotland.
Speaker 1: And were you in a hospital or you at home? No?
Speaker 2: I was in a hospital.
Speaker 3: I'd gone into hospital, my wife had taken me there and basically I was sitting in the waiting room I collapsed and one of the receptionists had seen this before she knew exactly what was happening. Luckily, I was next door to the accident emergency that took me straight in and basically operated on me within half an hour.
Speaker 1: What was the operation that they performed?
Speaker 2: If I may ask the operation?
Speaker 3: I don't know what it's like in the US, but in in England, in Britain, they're quite cagey about.
Speaker 2: Telling you what they've done.
Speaker 1: So I had to really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's not traveling, it's not non available so much. You know that they'll fix you up, but you really have to ask them what they've done. So I had an operation of the varises, which are the other blood vessels do from your It's from your esophagus, which it durst. So basically I was coffin of black blood. So they have to bind them back together and then all of the sorts of things after don't pump you. They have to do all sorts of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But there was.
Speaker 3: I know that I had two blood transfusions. My wife got the call from the surgeon saying it's unlikely Lad, he's going to make it. So she had to leave work, come straight away and have you know, the chat with the surgeon that I'm probably not going to make it, but obviously I did.
Speaker 1: Is she still with you, Yes she is. Yeah, that's a very patient, brave woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah she is.
Speaker 3: She's a great woman. She she looked after me when I tried to go sober and I did it, you know, without any help. And I did that for about five days, just lying in bed, which is one of those stupid things you could possibly do, but that's exactly what I did. But she she stayed with me the whole time.
Speaker 1: You're both lucky that you're still alive. Now, please share with us. David Crawford what happened when you slipped into a coma, how that feels, What the hell does a coma feel like? And then share with us the experiences that you encountered in the comma.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is not difficult to talk about because emotionally it's difficult to describe, because if you haven't done it, then it's quite difficult to put it across. But I'll tell you briefly. What happened was I didn't know that I was in a different state. We'll just put it that way. I was in a different state. I felt fine, and it wasn't a case of leaving the body or turn around seeing my body, but I had I was walking around the hospital as it is geographically the same, and I felt great. You know, at the time, I had catheters in, I had you know, lines in my arms and all that sort of business.
Speaker 2: But I felt great.
Speaker 3: And I saw a nurse who was basically in anapronism. She looked like she was the night from the nineteen fifties. She had like a bonnet and you know the way they dressed in the fifties and not like today's medical.
Speaker 2: Staff.
Speaker 3: And I asked her if she could help me and she could just let me out because I wanted to go home, and she said, no, you can't. You have to rest, you have to sleep. You're not well. But I feel great. I really did feel fantastic. I felt like I could rout a marathon and I never felt like that for for years because of the heavy drink. And she she says, look, you just have to just accept that you're not well. You need the light down, you need to go to sleep. And I didn't do that. So she was going around doing a rounds on the ward, looking after patients. And it's a very difficult thing to describe because she was very vivid, whereas everybody else was muted.
Speaker 2: Like say, you had I don't know.
Speaker 3: A mist in your eye or a cateract.
Speaker 2: Everything else is sort of muted, whereas she was very very vivid. And what happened was towards the end.
Speaker 3: Of a shift, I noticed that she was quite annoyed with me. But I didn't take her advice. I didn't lie down, I didn't go to sleep. I just followed her around, keep asking if I can just go home, and she wouldn't let me go home. And it basically goes from her She handed me over to somebody else, to a doctor, and again the doctor was very, very different to what you see as a normal doctor. He repeated the same things, you know, you have to lie down, you're very sick, and keeps saying over and over again, I feel fantastic. I just want to go home, and you can't go home. Nobody's going to discharge you. And it became very very frustrating. And then that was the point when I realized I'm no longer alive in this sense that we think we're alive. Right now, I thought, now there's something fundamentally different here.
Speaker 1: Yes, go ahead, So oh wait, wait a second, wait a second. Let me just say say one thing. It's thirty past the hour. You and I are on WGN in Chicago, and we're talking to David Crawford who's on the border of Scotland. David went into a coma after a unfortunate medical event. He went into a coma, and while in that coma, he died and he saw the afterlife, and he's right about at that point to share that story with us. David, go ahead, please. I love your voice and I'm mesmerized by this story.
Speaker 2: So please, there's millions of people who speak like me up here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was very very disoriented. It's not scary. It's not like you know, a horror movie scary. It's disoriented. It's uncomfortable and you don't quite know where you are and how what the rules are You just don't. You have to figure it out quick, which hopefully I managed to do in the book, the second part of the book that is about how to navigate this, you know, this alien terrain that you find yourself in.
Speaker 1: And what was the most surprising thing about this alien terrain? Did you realize that you were that you had died?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it didn't come quick. It was a slow, very slow kind of revelation that I was no longer physically alive. It didn't come as as a lightning bolt, like you know, I'm dead. It was slow, slowly revealed. Put it that way, and then once you're in that position, then you can maybe do something about it. But it's it was very slow to me. Maybe it isn't to other people, but it was very slow to me because again, like I said, I felt absolutely great.
Speaker 1: Did you feel you were in a good place or that you were going to hell?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't feel I was going to hell. I didn't feel I was going to a good place either. It's it felt to me very much like the processing plant. I was being processed for something, maybe a rebirth, I don't know, but there was.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 3: It's very different to most near death experiences. And this wasn't the subject that I ever really looked into. It's not my It wasn't my thing. It isn't my thing. It was simply my recollection of what happened to me. I wrote it down, No, no notion of publishing it. I wrote it down for me. Is a recollection for me, and I just describe what happened to me. That's not to say about anybody else is wrong, and I'm right. It's just I didn't see any tunnels of light. I didn't see any religious icons. I didn't see anything, you know, like past relatives or friends who have died.
Speaker 1: So what did you say anything? What did you say?
Speaker 3: All I saw was people who were passing me on, who got pretty annoyed with me, keep asking questions, and I don't. I don't I use the term of the book psycher pomp. I don't use the term guide a guide in you know, in our Western so is kind of benevolent there for your help. I use the term psycho pomp, which is a Greek word, because it's not loaded with that kind of benevolence. They had a job to do. I don't know who pays them. I don't know why they're there. I haven't got a clue. But I was passed up the chain to various various psychopomps, and they kept telling me the same thing. They kept repeating that I needed to lie down, I need to go to sleep, I need to rest. I'm very sick. But you know evidence, I saw with my eyes and I heard with my ears. I felt fine. I felt really really good. And all I wanted to do was get out of that hospital.
Speaker 1: All right. This is David Crawford. What's the name of the book.
Speaker 2: It's called A Manual for the Dead.
Speaker 1: A Manuel for the Dead, A Manuel for the Dead by David Crawford. Well written, great story. Man went into a coma, died, went to heaven or someplace and lived. How long was the comma?
Speaker 2: Five days?
Speaker 1: Five days? And when you were in it, did you have a sense of a passage of time in the traditional sense? When you came out after five days. Were you surprised?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what it was?
Speaker 3: The sun comes up, the sun goes down, and the moon comes out exactly as in real time. There was no quickening of time. There was no slow en of time. Twelve hours feels like twelve hours.
Speaker 1: As you've gotten away from that event in time when you look back on it and think about it. Was there a lesson something valuable you got from that that you couldn't see right at that moment, but you do now.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it's changed my perception on death, but it changed what I thought might might happen. I did on honestly think when you die that there'll be people who meet you, maybe past relative of friends who've died. I've lost two good friends in my life and I did think maybe that would happen, and it didn't. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I can't say.
Speaker 1: Got it. Has it made you more religious or less religious?
Speaker 3: That's that's a difficult one, really, because you know I've I've always been kind of religious. I've spent two years as a zen Buddhist monk. Wow. So I went to a monastery when I was twenty years old, and I came out of twenty two. So I was interested in lots of different religions. My dad raised me, probably not in the you know that the more sort of orthodox style of Christianity. He was very interested in stuff like, you know, the Early Church, the Gnostic Church right right, and so on. So I've always been interested in religion, theology, etc. But I've always come ated from a from a Buddhist bed of Like I say, I've spent two years in a monastery, and I've been very many many monasteries in my time looking at the Buddhism Zen Buddhism, especially in shin Gun Buddhism.
Speaker 1: David Crawford, author of.
Speaker 3: What's the Name of What's the Name of the Manual for the Dead?
Speaker 1: Manual for the Dead, thank you very much for being on the other side of Midnight,