Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: We're with the birthday boy tonight, starting center fielder James Outman. Happy birthday, out Man. You really played it cool today.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, trying to keep it a secret.
Speaker 2: I like it. You're not like these other guys that like to promote their birthdays two weeks in advance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't know. I forgot it was coming up.
Speaker 2: To be honest, you forgot your own birthday.
Speaker 1: No, I know my own birthday, but I was like, oh, shoot, it's three days or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I know, you got a brand new baby or a brand new father. You're married, So how do birthdays? How do birthdays rank these days?
Speaker 1: It's good, you know, you just want to spend time with your family and see your daughter, hold your daughter. So they're still good. They're different.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a young father, and a lot of guys that became a father later in their careers say gave him better perspective in baseball. Do you feel, even at this stage of your career, having a brand new baby girl is giving you perspective on baseball?
Speaker 1: For sure? You know, it makes the it makes the oh for four is easier to handle. When you go home and see your daughter smiling at you, there's nothing better than that. So I would say so for sure.
Speaker 2: You've been up here now for a little more than a week. What's it like for you this time around?
Speaker 1: It's great. This clubhouse is amazing. First of all, your first look, yeah, first look, first look, it's like a little city in here. But but yeah, no, it's it's uh still Dodger baseball, you know.
Speaker 2: Can you take us into the new clubhouse and new batting cages. What are the biggest improvements that stood out to you.
Speaker 1: The biggest improvement is that there's two lanes to hit it now, so it's it's less clogged up at times. But yeah, I mean there's tons of technology and they're very similar to the lab in Arizona, a lot of the same technology.
Speaker 2: Speaking of technology, we've heard these teams, including the Dodgers, having the big screen simulators where you could see that night's pitcher or even Randy Johnson show up and throw their pitch. Is that weird? Does it help? What's been your experience with it?
Speaker 1: I think it's good. It's obviously not like the real thing, but I think it's as close as you can get right now. But it's uh, they're they're unbelievable things. It's it's just good to work on, you know, your timing with whoever the picture is, or just pitch shapes and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Have you even considered facing like one of the pictures you grew up watching.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we have them on there because I don't know if we had all the the yeah, the track mandate or whatever, so but no, I have not.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should tap in to see if you could face Kershaw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I had face Kershaw on some line that bass before, so I'd rather face the real Kershaw than than animated Kershaw.
Speaker 2: And you also played behind Kershaw on this latest rehab stint right, Yes, well, what should we expect? Can you give us a scouting report on this version?
Speaker 1: It looks good. Clayton Kershaw is Clayton Kershaw, you know, is one of the best to ever do it, so you know, it's always fun playing behind him. He's a smart pitcher, obviously, works efficiently, and those strikes.
Speaker 2: James Outman, the Birthday Boy is our guest, all right when you get out there in center field again. Obviously You've had experience at the major league level, You've had a lot of success. How much does visualizing that success come into play for you?
Speaker 1: Now A lot?
Speaker 2: Was a deep question, now, man, very deep.
Speaker 1: A lot. You know, you're always trying to visualize that day, you know, visualize your at bats, visualized defense, stuff like that. This outfield is one of my favorite outfields to play, so I'm excited to get out there and track some balls down.
Speaker 2: All right. One of the new young guys got called up today, Dalton Rushing. You obviously played with them at Oklahoma City. What's made him special?
Speaker 1: He's just a competitive player, works hard, tough player, and it's really good.
Speaker 2: He seems to understand like Austin Barnes did the Picture Catcher relationship really well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I honestly I can't speak too much about that because I'm so far away. I'm probably defer this guy away from all that. But but yeah, I know, I can definitely tell you he works his butt off and he wants to improve in every area of his game.
Speaker 2: He's got a very creepy mustache.
Speaker 1: I haven't noticed. Sometimes they'll grow it out from time to time, but I think he rocks it.
Speaker 2: Well, Altman, if it wasn't for me, There's a couple of things you wouldn't know today. Number one your birthday. Number two, that Dalton Rushing's here, and that he's got a mustache. Where would you be? Do you know that you're starting tonight in center field?
Speaker 1: No, no, I knew Dalton was here. I just I didn't. I didn't get a glimpse of his mustache.
Speaker 2: But if you know it was your birthday before you saw me.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was my birthday. I think you were more fired up about it than I was, to be honest.
Speaker 2: But fired up for your birthday.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're a great guy. Everybody loves Tarzan. Thanks a lot for the time. I got a birthday gift for you. You know you what it is, right. I just don't do interviews. I'm not a taker. I share you with the people. And I also have a pair of Canan's world best polarized sunglasses for you, Outman.
Speaker 1: Awesome, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, did you know Canan's lenses are clear, lighter and stronger than other lenses, and are nearly impossible to scratch. Visit canaan dot com for your pair. Autman's got one for his birthday. Happy birthday. Let's get some birthday hits on a birthday win today.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Damn. There he is James Autman, my new pupil. I'm his new life coach. We just discovered that today. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Thank you,