Speaker 1: I we're live today at the Black Desert Resorts in Beautiful Saint George. We're broadcasting live in their clubhouse, right next to the golf course and adjacent from the resort itself. Down here for the Kyle Van Neutcharity Golf Tournament. Had a chance to play the track today. It is such an awesome course. The resort is up functional. They've got some dust as they continue the construction. But if you've never been down here, I would highly recommend it to the Black Desert Resort in Beautiful Saint George. We'll get back to some NBA Draft stuff. Utah Football locked in or recruit today for the twenty sixth class that we'll get to, but thim to switch gears. We'll talk a little soccer, little RSL some exciting things going on that folks might not know about. Former outside back once upon a time. He's now the assistant general manager and a friend of the show. It's always fun to spend some time with a great Tony Beltran on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Tony, Happy Monday, buddy.
Speaker 3: How are we doing high spends? Happy Monday. It's great to connect. Great to be back.
Speaker 4: From the show, and I'm I'm glad to hear that you're down in Saint George beautiful resorts and enjoying the tournament. I had the privilege to go down there a couple months ago, and it certainly is spectacular.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. How is your game, Tony? By the way, how are you as a golfer?
Speaker 3: So my game is non existent? I am?
Speaker 4: You want to look And the reason for that sense is, you know, I'm you know, just in the stage of life that I'm in, right. I have three young kids, I have a very demanding job, and so you know, any of my excess time goes to my family. I haven't picked up a golf club and probably over a decade, but at some point in life.
Speaker 3: I would like to revisit it because.
Speaker 4: In my youth I had a ton of fun. I grew up playing golf with my dad, and I am, you know, a very avid supporter of the sports and certainly appreciate the arts that is his the game of golf.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, all right, Tony, before we get to you know, Rayl saw Lake, the Senior Club and some of the struggles and hopefully some of the pieces of hope you can offer. I'm not sure how many of our listeners know, and quite frankly, if I'm honest, I found out after because I happen to be golfing with your guy Trey that the uh so, I mean, this is cool, Like RSL, the U sixteen squad has literally made history, first team in history to win both Generation Adidas and MLS Next, MLS Next Cup, those two titles coming in the same season after you guys were able to defeat Atlanta United two to one just a few days back. So of course, you know, you guys have your decisions to make with the senior squad and that gets most of the attention. But this is kind of your baby, right, I mean, this is kind of what you have been focused on. So first of all, congratulations. Second of all, unpack this. What do you think this means for the U sixteens and hopefully eventually the senior club?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, Spence. I appreciate the kind words. And look, this has been my baby, you know, and certainly a great many you know, more worthy staff members than myself their baby as well over the past really over the past several years. And look, I think it's important just to give a little bit of context and maybe walk through history up to this point, just to provide perspective on what this actually means, right, and so you.
Speaker 3: Know you think about it.
Speaker 4: From the Academy was the inception of the Academy was in twenty ten, right, and very quickly that was in Arizona, very quickly. There was a prodigious class of players that was led by Justin Glad, Jordan Allen Corey, Barrett Brooks, Lynn, Aaron Herrera, a lot of story players that have had it from the success in MLS and for RSL, right, and there was so much productivity for the first team because of the developmental pipeline three D the Academy and so so now you know, if you fast forward to twenty seventeen when the Academy was brought to Harriman at Science Bank Training Campus here, you know that was a difficult period for the Academy. There wasn't, you know, quite the developmental resources that were necessary, The structure wasn't there, and the player productivity from that period dropped from the previous period that I referenced when new ownership took over. When mister Blitzer pursues the club in point twenty one, a major motivator and focus of them doing so is to reinvest in the academy, and so resources were provided so that we could do all the things that we wanted to do, and that's you. We wanted to retain the top talent from our territories. We wanted to improve player recruitment, We wanted to be able to recruit top coaches to foster an elite developmental environments, and we wanted to more than anything, develop professional players capable of contributing in MLS, right, And the number one truth that I've learned in youth development is that you can't chief time, and so there was a lot of patience required with this investment, and everything is starting to happen all at once in terms of what that investment is producing, right, and we're seeing that that's really led by Zavi Rgozo at the first team level. Be two thousand and seven class, and that's the year that Zavier Gozo and his cohort we're going into that class. That was the first class that was recruited develops you know, that have gone through our full pathway right under everything I just referenced, and so so Xavier is is again leading the way right but behind him in the two thousand and seven, the eight Neo Nines which is the C sixteen team, the Nines, and twenty tens. Those are our classes that we've developed with this new structure as well. And so for the six teams to look to to have this historic achievement is another healthy indicator of how look of how strong.
Speaker 3: Our developmental pipeline is.
Speaker 4: And it's it's certainly something to be proud of because if we reference his again, that Justin glad Era has produced so much value for the club, and you know, in our expectation, my expectation is that the player cool that we have in our academy now is going to do the same.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm gonna ask you about some of these players, Tody, I'm not you know, one of the things that bothers me about my business is you will be interviewed by people that pretend they do things that they did not do.
Speaker 2: I did not watch any of these games.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to pretend like I did, so I'm just reading the recaps here, okay. So Van Parker Golden Boot winner eight of RSL's eighteen goals throughout the competition and then leading the team in goals he won the Golden Boot, won the MVP. What do we need to know about this young man? What kind of player is he? What kind of kid is he?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 4: I think I think I'll reference his character first, right, and in doing so, I'll kind of zoom out not only to Van Parker, but also to his cohort as well in the academy. Going back to the structure that I said that we implemented Spence, something that I'm so proud of is the cultural expectations.
Speaker 3: That we have at the academy, Right.
Speaker 4: We expect our boys to aspire for excellence in academics, citizenships, and soccer, with soccer always following academics and citizenships. So you know, again, the two things that I can tell you right off the bat about Van Parker are true for all of the fifty two players in our academy. He's a phenomenal student. Okay, that's number one. The average GTA for orders combined from the last school year for all of our again, our fifty two players an on site high school was just over three points, right, And that's that's a really really cool staff that I love sharing. And it's important because of all the things we know, right, like to be. To make it as a professional athlete, to make it in life, you have to be able to learn, take on information, have a growth mindset. All those things the classroom and success there is such a healthy indicator of what players can do, what people can do, you know, as we move forward in this game and in life citizenship. The second pillar, right Van Parker is He's got a phenomenal mentality. He's a great teammate, he's a great kid. He's beloved by everyone on campus.
Speaker 3: And moving on to you know, to the latter pillar soccer.
Speaker 4: He is an absolute beast of a player. He is some one I think the word that I'll use is he's a bully on the field. I mean that in a very positive way. He's a center forward who can play as a standalone nine. He can occupy both center backs and any ball that is within you know, I don't know a fifteen year radius of him. He can absolutely eat up any physical challenge and bully and bang with the rest of them as he just steamrolls the back line and scores goals like he did the eight goals of this tournament.
Speaker 3: So Van is someone you know that we're.
Speaker 4: Really excited about in our in our pathway and someone who we're very happy to see success on this national board.
Speaker 1: Entirely embarrassed that I'm about to ask you if the head coach Jordan Allen is RSL's Jordan Allen. Is it the same Jordan Allen?
Speaker 3: No, look it is. It is the same word now, yes, and so very cool. After he left RSL, he was.
Speaker 4: He went back to UVA and he finished up his degree there and was working as an assistant coach with their men's soccer program.
Speaker 3: And then from there we recruited Jordan to come in and be a coach for.
Speaker 4: Our academy, and so he joined OURCEL Academy. I believe that was in Cashion, going to get it wrong, but I think that might have been in twenty twenty one. And he's been with us, yes, twenty twenty one. He's been with us for the past four years. And so Jordan, as you know, Spence, and as many people in this ecosystem know, he is. You know, when you say who's the best player to come ever come out of Ursel Academy, people usually say Jordan, now right, But so he's got he's got a phenomenal perspective on the player pathway because he's experienced it, he's lived it. He's gone from an academy player with you know, those dreams of aspiration to playing in MLS at a very high level. And now as a coach, it's been, you know, so incredible to see his character, his drive, who he is as a person continue in the in this new challenge as a coach within our developmental ranks.
Speaker 3: And Jordan has had.
Speaker 4: Has had this group for the past two years and obviously you know he's the driver of that environment. And knowing his character, the way he approaches his craft, his dedication, everything about him, that is again a very healthy indicator of why this team has had the success that has led to us having this conversation part.
Speaker 1: Of a text I received tell me prime for this interview, and now I'm understanding it. I'm realizing in real time as Trey said, the keeper has been great. And now I know why he said the Keeper because he probably doesn't know how to pronounce the name.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 1: Custintinos Kyrie azis no idea, if that's right. That's my first time I first and that I just broke my own radio rule, Tony, I don't do that if I haven't practiced the name, but I'm seeing that he had a great tournament. Can you tell us about this, this young keeper of yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, absolutely, you know this is fantastic. Look uh look spence Worth.
Speaker 4: You know these are these are young men, right, you know, these are fifteen year old young men, right and so, but but it is it is so much fun to to watch them come in at a very young age.
Speaker 3: Tinos. Actually, I think he joined this when he was thirteen or just after he turned fourteen. He's been with the.
Speaker 4: Academy for for a year and a half and so to see his progression, to see his development, his his continued maturity during that time leading up to his success. You know, this year he was the he was the earned the Golden Glove at GA Cup and now his.
Speaker 3: You know, helped carry the team to to this.
Speaker 4: Latest accolade and lifting the MLS next Cup trophy. Tinos, his his fingerprints are all over that and his ability to to.
Speaker 3: You know, to put to play out of the back.
Speaker 4: Calmly under pressure in a very Nick Romando esque way is fantastic and very well compliment minted by his his shots stopping ability in his brain Tinos is about twice my height for your reference, and that's you know, that's.
Speaker 3: He's certainly imposing in the goal.
Speaker 4: And we're very proud again of of of Altinos's continued development.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll ask you about one more because this young man was the MVP of the g A Cup, Ryland Hashimoto, who is not.
Speaker 2: Related to Duke.
Speaker 1: For you old school RSL fans, uh So, tell me about Ryland.
Speaker 2: Tell me what kind of player Ryland is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's He's one of the most two footed players that I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Spence.
Speaker 4: He's an attacking player. He can play all across the front line, but you know, primarily as a ten or or maybe an inverted winger. But Ryland's got incredible balanced, incredible technique, an unparalleled ability to move the ball between both feet and off balance defenders.
Speaker 3: And he can really score from you know.
Speaker 4: All over the field, including including including on a cornertick.
Speaker 3: In this my final match he scored.
Speaker 4: It was a really tight game and at zero zero he scored an olympico straight from the corner to to you know, start the scoring there before he went off and when night game three nothing.
Speaker 3: So Ryland is He's he's got.
Speaker 4: A ton of natural attacking ability, and again it's been great to see his progress and success this year.
Speaker 1: Last one here, and then we'll get some thoughts on the Senior Club, the match this weekend to three points a couple of weeks ago, and et cetera, et cetera. I understand that your academics have gone from two point five to three point nine over the past three years. After Dave Blitzer about the team, and there's a woman named Roxy who deserves some flowers Tony, as the kids would say.
Speaker 2: So the space is.
Speaker 3: Yours, Spence.
Speaker 4: First of all, shout outs to Tray Fitzgerald, who I'm assuming preppy for this interview, and I'm really you know, that's so cool that he he wanted to part of this airspace to cover Roxy because I think, you know, look, there's a there's a large number of people that deserve, you know, shared credit for all the success or Academy is having.
Speaker 3: I think Roxy is right at the forefront of that. And yes, the stat that you.
Speaker 4: Said is true. When mister Blitzer took over the club, the average GPA hovered around two point four. And now, like I said earlier in this call, all four quarters for all, you know, in this past high school year, in the twenty twenty four twenty twenty five school year, we're above three point eight. And so you know, Roxy is is, it's her department, and she has brought in a ton of you know, of energy, of commitment and expertise and support for all these boys and not only just you know, helping them. Look, it's a very difficult thing to be a student athlete, right, especially at a young age when all of this is right in front of you. But Roxy does an incredible job of keeping those boys engaged and focused and challenging them as well. Another stat that I love, which I think is a testament to her is prior to the to her coming.
Speaker 3: Into twenty twenty one, we had.
Speaker 4: Two I think it was two to five players every quarter would take you know, a higher level class concurrent enrollment or AP class or anything for college credit. And now over fifty percent of our student athlete population has some form of concurrent enrollment or AP honors class. And so she is driving everything, you know, as far as academics and certainly in the character expectations for our players as well. And yes, Miss Roxy, and it deserves all the credit and all the flowers.
Speaker 2: Okay, good stuff, Tony. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: And I actually was excited when I saw you on the rundown because there are some things that I haven't been able to talk to you about that I've spoken with Kurt and Jason and Pablo, you know who stopped by very consistently.
Speaker 2: So here's where I want.
Speaker 1: To start as we move over to the senior club. And look, this is nuanced, it's complex, it's not you can't be reductive, but we can say Chicho seventeen goals, twelve assists, Andras thirteen goals, nine assists and oh nine goals, three assists, Matt Crooks three goals, five assists, you get You get the gist, right. So last year, about fifteen eighteen games, I swear you guys played potentially the best soccer that I've ever.
Speaker 2: Seen played by an RSL team.
Speaker 1: All of those players are gone, and for whatever reason, there have not been adequate replacements brought in as of yet. What's fair to say about why that hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: Look, I think you know I don't want to deflect or defer, but I know you've had previous conversations with Kurt, right, And I think Kurt is the authority to answer that.
Speaker 3: But look, you know, I'll say, you.
Speaker 4: Know, we are constantly looking and evaluating the roster and taking an information to help make informed decisions, right. And part of that, you know, it's you know, either in the president of the past or the future for our ross are really any roster in a professional aspect, you know, we're going to be looking at additions. What you mentioned was a lot of gold productivity, right, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: You know, if with that kind.
Speaker 4: Of productivity departure, you of course have to you have to replace that, you know, at other places in their roster. And so you know, I think we are very excited about, you know, the attacking pieces that we have, right, I think you know, the obvious ones are there.
Speaker 3: And then I don't want to say a welcome edition.
Speaker 4: As well has been Zavi Ergozo to go back to the academy and as he's bloken into the attacking side of the first team lineup. But again, you know that what you referenced was was a lot of production, right, and production is something that that helps drive success, especially in MLS in this week, and so that's something we're conscious of. That's something we're looking at and we're trying to make you know the informed right decision and get the right player so that you know we can impact in all parts of the roster as necessary.
Speaker 2: So we'll end with the good.
Speaker 1: But before we get there, you know, I'm not going to ask you if you feel like this is a lost season, because there's no way you would say that you do even if you felt that way. But it did get late early tony for you guys, leaving points on the board, having some tough breaks with some officiating gaps if we're honest and being fair, and then ultimately, you know, eighteen goals score. There's only four teams in MLS that have scored less than that, So the attacking prowess just isn't there. So whether it's the secondary window that's opening here in a number of weeks, you know, three weeks or so, or growth from within or comfort of a got it and Russell, what gives you the most confidence that with halfway, you know, kind of behind us now, there's still a lot to play for and maybe you guys can crack that top seven or whatever and make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's several things fence to give me a lot of confidence, you know. Number one is just knowing mless right, and knowing how look, how arduous the summer is, but also how much opportunity there is, and you know, there's a ton of opportunity in the games remaining that we have. You know, look you look at the you know, historical amount of points that it takes to get to the playoffs, and there is a clear path for us, especially with the number of home games that we have remaining. And so you know, knowing that, knowing you know, the sturdy leadership that we have in Pablo Masterni, and knowing like you said, that the summer window is is you know, is on the horizon as well.
Speaker 3: That does give me a lot of confidence.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And also look my own experience as well, and leaning on you know, RSL's history and other teams in this league that have gained momentum late in the season and had that carried towards not only a playoff word, but success from the playoffs as well.
Speaker 3: And so look, I think.
Speaker 4: Whether you're talking about us at this stage or you know, any other team who's who's not.
Speaker 3: Mathematically you know, eliminated.
Speaker 4: It would be crazy to characterize, categorize, you know, the city where in you're near a Lossington At all I see is is the opportunity ahead, and we're focusing on the ways in which we can capitalize on that.
Speaker 1: All right, Tony, before I say you lose, I mean, the overwhelming bright spot of this season has been the star of Diego Luna, rising and rising and rising and continues to rise with the national team. I would imagine that you have a soft spot for the Gold Cup, if I recall correctly, Once upon a time you may have been able to have that experience. So your thoughts on just what a tremendous player that Diego has evolved into, your hope for his Gold Cup experience and his national team experience, and your belief and what he can be as he continues to grow and evolve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, spends a shame on me that it took me this long in the interview too, and you had to bring it.
Speaker 3: Up for me to say, Diego in it right because he.
Speaker 4: Is. I admire him and in all the ways that that an athlete that a man can be admired, right is obviously as a player in the field, but also as as a leader. His character off the field, his engagement in the community is you know, his commitment to to his craft certainly, but just just Diego is a class act, right, and you reference him being, you know, a bright spot for our team and the star of our team. But look, I think it's also important to know Diego's you know, he's the star of the league.
Speaker 3: He is the star of the US men's national team as well.
Speaker 4: And and I think you know a way that I can very concisely maybe package that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons why that because why that is because there's many is because of what translates through the medium, whether you're watching him in person or watching him on TV, or you know, watching him train, you know, on a weekly basis like I do. Diego is so exciting to watch, right and you can see how badly he wants to win and how competitive that he is.
Speaker 3: And that's that's inspiring. You know that that's engaging.
Speaker 4: And it's been it's been fantastic to see him find continued success at our at our club, and he's to see his continued development and I think he's been an inspiration to again pull it back to an area of the club that we talked about earlier, an inspiration to to all the aspiring young players within our academy and and developmental pipeline as well, because Diego is someone who, throughout his path refused to take no for an answer and met adversity, you know.
Speaker 3: In whatever form the only way he knew how.
Speaker 4: And that was head on, and you know, with with all the desire and fight to overcome it. And so look, I think it's been a privilege to to see Diego play both with RSL and with the US men's national team, and and the Gold Cup does have a special place in my heart and I wish him and his his team and the staff there all the success over the rest of the tournament.
Speaker 1: I would be remiss before I set you loose if I did not ask you about your teammate who was recently inducted into the Ring of Honor, joining Jason Christ and Javier Morales. So final thing, tom before before I say you loose on a Monday, What does Nick Romando mean to Rayel Salake?
Speaker 3: Look, I think he means, man, I mean, how much time do we have left? Spense?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, you know, I appreciate that. Look, I think, you know, it's it's interesting being on you know, on on the side of the lines. Right. And now Nick is you know, Nick and I are colleagues in a different sense. You know, he's obviously the goalkeeper goalkeeping coach for the Monarchs, right, and so we work in that capacity together, you know, And and oftentimes we're both so busy, I don't I don't consciously reflect or reminisce on on those days, right, you know, those days when we were both playing, and so you know, being there for his induction, you know, and seeing the video and having conversations with his family and friends and former teammates and watching all those things, is you look, a reminder of something that I shouldn't have to be reminded of. And that's just how massive Nick Hermondo was as a player, and how talented and how you know, I may be I will save this way, what a luxury it was, What a privilege it was to play defense in front of him, right, And Nick is, Look, he is he is one of the best to ever do it.
Speaker 3: At that position.
Speaker 4: I said this to you know a few people international acquaintances over the past few weeks that look during his day, I don't know if there was a goalkeeper in the world with better people than Nick, right, and then you could go on to you know, all the other prodigious aspects of his game, and so it is.
Speaker 3: It's been really cool.
Speaker 4: To again reminisce be a little bit nostalgic and be remind minded of his prowess on the field. And obviously you know all the accolades that Nick has received this year and being cemented, you know, he cemented his name on the side of the building is something, you know, something very cool and a worthy gesture for the greatest to ever do it for for our club in an MLS at that position.
Speaker 2: Tony, it's always fun man.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on the success on and off the field with the academy kids, the U six teams.
Speaker 2: Keep doing keep keep doing your thing, and you know I'm always pulling for you and in your corner.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the time, buddy, Thank you, Vince, appreciate it great to connect.
Speaker 2: Take care, Tony Beltran.
Speaker 1: Tony Beltran played at the highest of levels, played with the USNS national team in the Gold Cup outside back, was a really good player for RSL. He's transitioned over into the front office where he is the assistant general Manager.
Speaker 2: RSL is back at action coming up this weekend.
Speaker 1: It's been a really light month, but they will take on Sporting Kansas City coming up on Saturday at six thirty Mountain time.
Speaker 2: Children's Mercy Park is the venue.
Speaker 1: MLS season Pass on Apple TV is how you can check it out.