Speaker 1: The second hour of a Tuesday show. I'm Mandy Connell.
Speaker 2: I've got Zack Seegers in with me today for Anthony Rodriguez and joining us now.
Speaker 1: He's our futurist Thomas Fry.
Speaker 2: And Thomas you sent me stories about two things that I am the most excited about. And this is gonna sound dumb, because when I'm about roadways, right, but I read that there's a road in either China or Japan where the road itself is on almost like little springs, right at little tiny springs, and when a car drives over it, the spring bounces and they use that energy to create power, right, And I'm fascinated by this. It's like the coolest thing ever because now we're talking about different ways to integrate how we power our world and create more power in a way that has almost no impact, right because we're already going to drive on that road, but of course it's prohibitively expensive, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But today you.
Speaker 2: Send me an article about something that is happening in the United States of America, which, honestly, I feel like this is going to be the thing that finally tips the scales in favor of electric vehicles, and that's part of what your article's about.
Speaker 3: I think you're right there.
Speaker 4: This is a test run in Florida, four and a half mile stretcher.
Speaker 3: They're going to embed.
Speaker 4: Induction coils into the Interstate Highway and then as cars drive over it, they will recharge themselves as they go. Now, this becomes really important if you start doing it nationwide. So if you think about the interstate system when it got built, it was built in nineteen fifty six because of something General eisenawer As signed as president.
Speaker 3: This was to improve the defense system for the country.
Speaker 4: And so over the next few years it just built interstates all over the con It'll be something like that where they build this charging system inside of the highways and build it all over the country, and then you have electric trucks or electric garbies and electric cars driving down the road and they charge themselves as they go.
Speaker 2: I mean, the real potential here is that my big hang up. I'll be perfectly honest, and this is so irrational. Even as I'm about to say this, I know that for the way I drive and the way that I utilize my automobile, this concern for me is a complete idiocy, right, but range anxiety, that is the number one reason that people don't want to buy fully electric car. They're like, look, I don't want to get out on the road, especially in Colorado where we've got really cold weather. Sometimes we've got high mountain air that you know, it does wreak havoc on these batteries. But if I could be assured that my tootel down I twenty five was going to recharge my battery at the same time I was toodling, I'd be I'd probably be all in.
Speaker 4: Right, right, That's that's the big anxiety that most people have, especially living in the Midwest, because there's lots of lots of places where there aren't charging stations yet still Kansas. But if you think, if you think, yeah, if you think about just the way Tesla car is built right now, about fourteen thousand dollars is spent just on the battery itself. If you could reduce that down to a battery fourteen thousand dollars battery will go about three hundred miles. If you reduce that down eighty percent and only go fifty miles, then you're only spending three to four thousand on the battery, and it can charge itself as it goes. That makes it much more efficient, lighter weight car, and you can just go.
Speaker 3: Anywhere you want.
Speaker 4: Then it'll take a while to get that whole system build out, but that's kind of the vision behind it.
Speaker 2: Is this something that could be done retroactively on our highway system easily? Or do you have to go in I mean, like, could you in theory, lay down, you know, a layer of this and just kind of asphoaled over it, or are you up to speed on the engineering of this.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure exactly what all that would take, and I think there's going to be probably some competing systems, competing technologies to see which one does it best.
Speaker 3: But it'll take a little while.
Speaker 4: And as I understand, you'd have to drill holes into the interstate to embed these coils, and then the cars themselves aren't set up for induction charging at the moment, right that would be an add on to the vehicles.
Speaker 3: That's the other.
Speaker 2: Question, like how because you're riding on rubber tires which are not known to transmit electricity, that's kind of kind of the way we've used them, right to not conduct electricity. So I'm curious and to be clear, the four point five mile sprand in Florida, all of that is not going to have the charging capability in it.
Speaker 1: It's only going to be about three quarters of one mile.
Speaker 2: So this really is kind of a beta project, right, Like we're just going to kind of see what's going on.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, how does that work? How do you?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you is it going to be like where they drag a metal bar underneath the car?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? How does that look?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just bridges that air gap in between.
Speaker 4: So the charging plates on the bottom of the car are close enough to the road so that they'll pick.
Speaker 3: Up the charge.
Speaker 4: Well, they don't have to be in contact with it, but they have to be close. And so this is a real short distance wireless power.
Speaker 2: Somebody asks what about RFI radio frequency interference?
Speaker 4: There might be some of that to begin, but those are things that can be engineered around.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people are asking, like, who's going to pay for this electricity? And I think that's another question that's going to have to be answered on a large scale.
Speaker 4: Right So, right now there's a massive amount of electricity generation being engineered into our grid, and we're doing that because of data centers. Data centers are going to be the big power suck in the future. But as we're doing that, we're also learning how to generate a lot of power. So we could put the solar panels alongside all the interstates.
Speaker 3: That would help build some of some of the national grid.
Speaker 4: But I think the people that are using the power are the ones that have to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so some kind of metered system, right.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only fair way of doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so as well. What is the do you right now?
Speaker 2: Obviously this is going to be the first addition of this in the United States, and I'm sure that as we get to scale and things of that nature, pricing is going to change dramatically. But what would this I mean what you have you even thought about how much this is going to add to the price of rebuilding or building a road.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think we have any clue on that at the moment, But I'm I'm guessing we're going to figure out an automated way of doing that that won't be that expensive.
Speaker 3: So that it can be built into the roads real quickly.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would be super nice because I just drove from here to First we went up through Iowa and drove the northern route over to Ohio, and then we came back through Kansas, and I got to tell you, our interstate system is hot garbage.
Speaker 1: It is terrible.
Speaker 2: It is undrivable in Indiana, it is undrivable in parts of Kansas, it is undrivable in parts of Colorado.
Speaker 1: So maybe this would.
Speaker 2: Be the thing that actually makes them have to take care of them, because I'm guessing that you cannot let an electric generating road crumble the way that we're letting our roads crumble.
Speaker 4: Now, right, this is a whole new piece of infrastructure that would generate a.
Speaker 3: Huge number of jobs.
Speaker 4: I think it would be good for all the people using it, as well as the people that are building these roads.
Speaker 3: I think once we can prove that it works well.
Speaker 4: And it's just a matter of time before somebody flips the switch and says, let's do it everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I agree, I mean it just amandy you think government maintains this. That's a text that just came in. That's exactly the point I was just making. So somebody asked, what about for larger electric trucks? I mean that's really where this is going to be the biggest game changer, right.
Speaker 4: Right, right, Yeah, So if you don't ever have to stop your truck, you can just keep it going all the time.
Speaker 3: And we're going to be having.
Speaker 4: Driver lest trucks on the road a lot in the future. This is the way to transport stuff all across the country very quickly. And in addition to trucks, it's a lot of the larger vehicles, so like driving office driving an RV that is something that you could actually live and sleep in and it's going across the country and the things things like that. We don't see any electric RVs right now because they're they're too inefficient to make work, so we need something much better than that. That's that's where a roadway like this would change the ballgame tremendously.
Speaker 2: This textra said, Mandy, heavy cars are going to bottom out if they need to be closer to the road, shocks will need to be much more rigid. So, I mean, these are all sort of technological things that what the car makers are probably already working on in conjunction, right, because is it a standardized.
Speaker 1: Out put right right? I want to know the science behind this. You know what I mean. I want to know how this actually works.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll reach out to the company doing it and say, can you guys can explain how this is actually going to work, because I just think it's super cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is an induction charging system, so it's the same as if you built one at a charging station the money you can just drive over the TAPA and charge it that way. This will be one that's continuous so that you can keep driving at the same time you're charging.
Speaker 1: Is this going to it?
Speaker 2: It sounds like the any wireless charging that you have for your phone right that you just put it on top and you don't have to have a cord going in. So I'm going to see if I can get the engineers working on this project on just to explain it. I just think I think it's so fascinating and truthfully, as I said, the way I use my car, I should not have range anxiety at all, but I do.
Speaker 1: So this is a very interesting tournaments.
Speaker 2: What kind of timeline are we looking at here before you could see widespread deployment.
Speaker 4: I think this is twenty twenty eight for the project in Florida. If we see that being real successful, I can see this getting adopted pretty quickly. After that, there's going to have to be more than that test case to prove it works. And we've got to have all the carmakers buy into it as well. So there's a little negotiating that has to happen along the way here.
Speaker 2: And that's the Devil's in the details right there, Thomas.
Speaker 1: And that's why I think this is so far away. So far away.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's talk about the second story, because I love this story as well, especially because I'm of the age where more and more people are showing.
Speaker 1: Up with cancer in my life.
Speaker 2: I'm just out of the age where more people that I know are dealing with cancer of some sort.
Speaker 1: And I, after talking to you now.
Speaker 2: For these many years, Thomas, I get excited when I read stories about nanobot technology that's actually happening. Sometimes I read a story and go, oh, my god, Thomas talked about this.
Speaker 1: Four years ago. So I'm super excited about how AI is going to change medicine.
Speaker 2: And I think it is going to change medicine significantly, like maybe more than any other industry.
Speaker 1: And you, yeah, you in this article.
Speaker 2: About what the future of AI and medicine could start to look like is absolutely fascinating. And you have a column you talk about talking to the defect? What does that mean and why is AI a game changer here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, it all started with the idea of being able to talk to the problem and the programming routine that you're doing, because that's a piece of science, and that you can actually personify it and actually give it a voice, and then you can talk to it and find out what's wrong with it. So the idea is to actually give a voice to your personal defects, what disease you might have. So you give a voice to your cancer or your diabetes, or your heart condition, whatever that might be. So then you can go and find out what makes your cancer tick and find out what can be done to kill it.
Speaker 2: And do they do that by putting in like what would that practically look like?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, a surgeon goes in and biopsies a tumor, right, and then they take the cells of that tumor, and then then they input it in what way? I mean, I'm curious as to how that AI assumes that voice correctly.
Speaker 4: Well, so this just works on the assumption of all the information that you feed into AI.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't include any probes into the body, doesn't include any biopsy or anything like that.
Speaker 3: You just talk to the disease.
Speaker 4: You can you can talk to your own laziness, You can talk to your own depression, talk to your own diabetes.
Speaker 2: But how does AI correctly become your depression, your diabetes, your cancer.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm confused about.
Speaker 4: It based on the input that you use. Okay, and that's the problem. It may not be that correct.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: So if you're not honest, or if if your input is bad, if you if you're suffering from a deep depression but you don't give all the reasons that you're feeling a deep depression, you're not going to get a satisfactory AI chatbot to discuss it with, right.
Speaker 4: Right, But it's going to ask you questions to make sure it gets as good as good information as possible.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So now if you think about this, this idea of talking to the defect, we can expand this notion of being able to talk to the conspiracy theory, being able to talk to the contrails in the sky, being.
Speaker 3: Able to talk to.
Speaker 4: A drought or the flood conditions that are happening somewhere. This idea of being able to talk to these abstract things that are happening in the world, can give them a voice so you can interact with it and you can understand what's going on on that end that I think is so inspiring and challenging at the same time.
Speaker 2: And then how does the AI learn from that? And you know, I'm always looking at because ultimately I am concerned that AI learns in such a manner, a stacking manner, instead of a sorting of pertinent information. One of the things that I think our brain is both brilliant at and it's a defect of our brain, is that we have this ability to make judgments about what information is important right, what information to really glom onto, and you know, make that sort of a foundation of our thought processes. How is AI learning in that way? Like if you said, Okay, we're going to talk to this flood and we're going to put in all these I'm gonna use drought because Colorado that's a much more familiar position. Okay, we're going to go to the drought in the southeastern part of Colorado. We're gonna put in all the data points, We're going to give it all the information and then we're going to talk about that drought. Well, what if somebody else says, Okay, I've got my drought in California and we're going to put in all these data points. That's where I'd like to know more. And I think that's a really big question that I just asked. But I'd like to know more about how AI uses all of those inputs and how that together affects the outputs that I'm getting back.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think.
Speaker 4: I think AI then takes on the task of going after more and more information, okay, from different sources, and the better the information, the.
Speaker 3: Better it can can we can interact with it. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I like the idea of the contrails in the sky because this is something that body's wondering about, what why the hell are they up there, and whether they look so funny and it's just really a Bill Gates project going on.
Speaker 2: I'm not big on the contrails the conspiracy theory, because I've worked and I've made contrails with airplanes and seen it happen in real time.
Speaker 1: So I do have a question going back to the road project.
Speaker 2: But this is about how that technology could be used elsewhere. Somebody asked, can this be used on the railroads to displace electric diesel locomotives with fully.
Speaker 3: Electric That's a great question. I think it could.
Speaker 1: I think there's a power issue there though.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that you could have enough batteries even if they were constantly being recharged to replace the power that you have from a diesel engine just for starting and stopping, right.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know about it. I mean, hey, you never know.
Speaker 4: There's a weight factor there that trains are super heavy. Yeah, that would be real interesting to actually scale that out and see if that actually would work. Maybe they could actually start building trains that are much lighter, wait easier to carry things around.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: See Thomas fry Our futurist. He can be found at impact lab dot com. I put links to both of these articles on the blog today. You should go check them out. They're super super fascinating and I'm ready for some of these things to start happening.
Speaker 1: Thomas, good to see you man. Happy Happy new year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy new year to you as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right.
Speaker 2: That is Thomas Frye, one of my favorite guests and super super interesting, Mandy, I already talked to my defect. It's called calling my liberal sister. Now, that's not nice. Another text, or what about psychological defects?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think that kind of stuff from a diagnostic perspective is absolutely going to be the way of the future. We're going to take a quick time out when we get back. I have so many other things, but I have to ask this question. How in the world did Mike Johnston blow two million dollars for a four hour appearance in front of Congress.
Speaker 1: I'll explain after this. Keep it on, Koa