Speaker 1: Thank you John seven oh four here a Kentucky had his morning news on news Ready eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you back for day two and after day one I already had two new supporters. I really didn't know what to expect when it comes to the reaction to day one. But Richard on Twitter did tell me he sent this after the show in diod yesterday, for the first time in twenty one years, my wife and I woke up in bed. Was someone different, good first show, So Richard, it was an honor a privilege to wake up in bed with you and your wife yesterday.
Speaker 2: I've heard that from people they would come up in like the State there when we were out there, like, yeah, we lay in bed and listen to you.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember whenever I was on seven ninety and I used to think that was early. I learned my first day coming into the morning show there that you guys had already been up and at it for many hours when I started. But I remember I told Will Clark one one morning that I start every morning in the shower with him. Yeah, And I realized after I'd said that that that that probably didn't come out the same way. But he knew what I meant.
Speaker 2: I was just going to ask you are you Are you a person who likes to because I like to listen to music while I'm in the shower.
Speaker 3: I even had one of those shower radios back in the day.
Speaker 1: So morning showers for me, as if the last couple of days, I'm more zombie, I'm kind of just I'm not sure I'm actually awake. But typically, yeah, if I'm going to listen to something in the shower, I'm more so music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, music, or nobody has shower radios anymore. I just take my phone outside the.
Speaker 1: Same thing, or like one of those echo speakers or whatnot, right, which, by the way, gives me a chance to let you guys know, you can always take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on your iHeartRadio app, and you can also listen live at at whas dot com. So obviously, big story from yesterday and of course even today is addressing what took place on Barchtown Road in the Highlands area over the last couple of weekends. And you know, I've been really not going out of my way, but this is of course something that a lot of people have have comments on and one of the things I saw yesterday was that they believe the last two weeks were more were as bad as they were due to people out celebrating graduations, which maybe that's the case, but like either way, that still shouldn't happen at all. And you know, my thoughts earlier that I shared is that this happening anywhere should be addressed. I think a lot of people who are just used to the Highlands and maybe they used to go out to the bars in their younger years when they were in their twenties thirties, and maybe that was a long time ago, maybe it was just ten years ago. They're just, I guess surprised to hear that these kind of things are taking place in that area, just because they weren't used to seeing that. Where people would just basically flood the streets. You have people jumping on cars trying to disarm security. Obviously, I mean that shouldn't take place anywhere. I think the local noise about wow, what's happened to the Highlands is one thing, but I'm sure Craig Greenberg as well as as Chief Humphrey, this is something that regardless of wherever it's happening, they would, they would, they would want to address but if they do, decide to shut down bars earlier, or at least tell them that they can't stay open as late as they've been staying open for a long time. Scott, do you think that would? I mean, it can't hurt.
Speaker 2: It can't hurt, not at all. And I think you at this point you have to do something. But let's be honest here and let's call out what it is.
Speaker 3: Bartstown Road is changing.
Speaker 2: I mean, Louvino closed down their location on Bardstown Road.
Speaker 3: Okay, they still got what I believe it's out in Jeffersonville.
Speaker 2: I want to say, but Bardstown Road is not the same Bardstown Road it was just ten fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: I've been here over twenty.
Speaker 2: Five years and Bartstown Road is not because my wife told me when I first moved here, she because we are going to hang out of Bartstown Road. In fact, for Valentine's Day, we went to Ramsey's. Ramsey's one of our favorite restaurants. We love Ramsey's.
Speaker 3: But even when we were leaving then we're like, this is not.
Speaker 2: The same Bardstown Road. And I don't know if NEWLU has something to do with that. I'm just gonna be honest here, because we've been to both. We like Newlu and we like that main drag down Newlu, but we like Bartstown Road. But there aren't the same businesses that were at Bartstown Road that were before. And neighborhoods change, Nick they we know this. You go back to your old neighborhood where you grew up, I'll bitch, it's vastly different than what it was when you were there. And I experienced that when I went home. So Bardstown Road is changing, if you're asking me on a personal level. One L and PD is doing an amazing job with the resources they have to keep this the best they can. And I don't think anybody's not in agreement with that, at least from the social media posts I've read.
Speaker 3: I have read some disturbing.
Speaker 2: Social media posts on this. There's some folks that clearly there's a lot to be learned there. But on the same token, this too shell pass and eventually these riots will start to subside.
Speaker 3: Remember we went through this with Derby cruising, and people, yeah.
Speaker 1: People were I was I was very young, but yes, I remember Derby cursing.
Speaker 3: People were all up in arms about that.
Speaker 2: And then that seemed to subside, and neighborhoods Ebb and Flow and Bardstown Road will find its sort of renaissance because that's where I think they are.
Speaker 1: But I think makes Barchtown Road first of all, it is it's one of the easily one of the more known areas of Louisville. And you're right, neighborhoods areas there. They become a lot different after a decade or so. But if you've lived there, you know, people live in their home probably more often than some businesses stick around. There's a certain place that could be three four different businesses in the amount of times somebody's called it, you know, within a block, they've called that their home for a long time. So if you live there, you see it, you know, changing all the time. I guess you really never know what you're going to expect.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at look at Mid City Mall. Yeah, we'll try to find a buyer from Mid City Mall now. So I mean it happens, the Highlands will be fine. Yeah, it's just not in a good place right now.
Speaker 1: I think if they were, if they were to let everybody know that if you have bars, restaurants, she can't stay open until four am anymore. You're gonna have to close it down around one. I don't know just how much that would help, but again I don't think it could hurt, and I think it would be a good faith gesture for the business owners who are saying, look, we hear you, We believe you do understand this is an issue, but we need it fixed. This has become too much. All right, Another update of trafficking weather's coming your way. It's seven to ten here on Kentucky Its Morning News news Radio eight forty whas seven fifteen Here at news radioa forty whas, Nick Coffee, if you will have another update on sports coming up at about ten minutes from Scott Fitzgerald, and of course something he'd mentioned earlier this morning, and it is big news little of baseball. They are back hosting superregionals for the first time since twenty nineteen, which just sounds wrong, but it's not. It sounds as if it's been, you know, just a couple of years, because when it comes to postseason baseball, Jim Patterson, it became really an annual thing to where you'd host regionals and mostly superregionals. But obviously in recent years, especially in the New World with the portal and NIL, it's just been an adjustment. So a big postseason thus far for Dan McDonald's one that was certainly needed, just because again he'd set the standard pretty high early on, and you know, last few years were not nearly as good as what he had done for a good chunk of his time here at UL. So now they're going to host Miami this weekend for the Superregionals that'll get started on Friday, and they're just two wins away from getting back to Omaha, which would be easier said than done to get there, but that would be that'd be special for them, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Well, how blessed are we nick to have two facilities like one of my favorite places to go here, I have two places to have a cool vibe when it comes to sports. Obviously, the Young Center stands alone on its own, but I'm talking about when I get to go to a loose city game or a racing game. Lynn Family Stadiums got an amazing vibe, but Jim Patterson Stadium on the corner, there's nothing I look forward to more than going down there, and my son always wants to go there when there's gaming Time's a big level baseball fan and it was interesting when Jim Patterson put his name on that. You remember a chance was free forever and what a great marketing too one. Obviously, there was some pushback when they said, Okay, we're gonna start charging for a sec games in the Kentucky game, which I totally get.
Speaker 3: I mean, you gotta pay for something, sure.
Speaker 2: And I think you eased a lot of people's minds the other day when we were talking about it, and so many.
Speaker 3: People are like, well, damn McDonald leaving? Is he leaving?
Speaker 2: And your response was simple, is where's he going to go? And I think you brought up a great point, and I think Dan stays here. I hope It's long been said he doesn't get the support. Sometimes he thinks he should and I shouldn't say he maybe others think that way.
Speaker 1: Well, what has happened is that I think at the time he was turning down bigger jobs, he had realized that he's clearly built a program that has everything you'd need. He's been to Omaha many times. A breakthrough and then winning the College World Series for a good stretch of his career would not have been viewed as a shocker. I mean they were due for one and then the world changed. You have to pay players and you have guys that can just up and leave and not have to sit out. And I think resources at SEC programs are a little bit better. They've got a little bit more money to go get players. So I think that was part of why he had struggled in recent years. So to have this breakthrough season where they had a good year then just enter the postseason really cold, to now be just two months away from Omaha, I mean, I don't think anybody would would doubt that Dan McDonald is a good coach. They can get it done. But you did wonder can he really get back to where he was in the new world with so much things different and so far this postseason run that they're currently in right now, I mean, that could go a long way. And it's with college baseball. The postseason is interesting. I love seeing and I won't be a phony and act like I watched a lot of it, But in the postseason, of course, it's it's much more visible on television and whatnot, and you could just see how much the players are well aware that this is their time to shine. They're on TV much more than they really ever are, and they're into it and that kind of stuff. I think it can hook, It can hook fans. And not to say that this is something that you want every day in college sports, but I think when you can add some drama, some fire, I think that that alone can help get people interested. And that's what we had over the weekend. I don't know if you guys saw this, but Florida head coach Kevin O'Sullivan, he's he's since issued an apology, but he was not happy when it comes to I guess the field conditions. And this is really where I want to play this clip for you guys really quickly here, because this is just something you don't often see a coach at a program like Coastal Carolina calling out a coach at Florida, who, by the way, is a national championship coach in this manner. And again the coach has since apologized for it, but I think this is the type of clip, not saying you just can manufacture this drama, but I'm sure this this view, which by the way, I'm about to play the clip for you, this has over four million views, and I think that speaks to if you had more coaches being honest and real and just not afraid to call somebody out, it might bring a little bit more interest their way.
Speaker 3: Dad's work has never done. Has Father's Day gifts for every dad from time.
Speaker 1: I don't know where that was coming from. Apologies, that's not the sound I want to play here. Well, here we go, I apologized. Where does that coming?
Speaker 4: I don't know where. Try that and try that now the moment might have passed. It's yeah, never mind, here we go. So again, I only bring that up because that's not something you typically here. And I think that brought a little more attention to the college baseball postseason, which that could get people to stick around a little longer because I'm telling you it's a pretty competitive, but pretty fiery I mean these guys, I mean, this is their time to shine. It's winter or go home. And there have already been a lot of upsets there. So that's so Carolina coach Kevin Schnall, which, by the way, there was a somebody was filming on their cell phone when the coach at Florida was in fact talking to some folks about the facilities, and wasn't a good look for him. Not a surprise that he has since come out and apologize. But quick break, we've.
Speaker 1: Got some sports coming up on the other side with Scott. Also another update on trafficking weather right here on News readyweight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is seven thirty four here at Kentucky this morning news on News Ready eight forty whas. You know. This may surprise some of you, but it's true. Tony Venette has given me a lot of good advice over the years. In fact, Tony Venetti has said things to me that I'm thinking, Okay, this guy, what's he talking about. He's I'll let him finish, but I don't believe a word he says. And he ends up being right. But I don't know if he's right about this, but maybe he'll end up proving me wrong. But yesterday he was giving feedback on the show and said, you guys just should just just get right to it. We don't need to talk about Tony Cruz anymore, and we need to just, you know, just just get right to it. Get right to it. And I said, well, I mean, I feel like people may want to know who they're listening to. And he said, people don't care. Oh, and I'm thinking, well, what he means is that just get to the news, get to the topics that people are interested in, which he's right. But I also think when you have a guy that's sitting here for you know, twenty plus years, and now he's not and there's a new person, I think it's understandable, especially in that day, to at least let people know who I am and you'll learn more about me over the years. Hopefully I'm here for many years. But one thing that you may not know, I'm married. My wife and I guess she would call us high school sweethearts. And the reason I share this is because I missed out on the whole. And if you're listening, honey, I'm glad I missed out. I'm lucky. But I don't know. I can't relate to the dating culture of apps. I mean, this is not a new thing. These have been around for a long time now. But there's apparently a new feature on Tender that has I don't know if it's controversial, but fellas that are on the shorter side are unhappy because because Tender has now added a height filter that I guess is a premium feature where women will have I guess the better, the better ability to determine if if the guy that they're talking to is is as tall as what they're seeking. My question is, I mean, how do you know? Like you can? I mean you can lie right like maybe they maybe you got to take a picture of your ID if you're a dude, and and that's the way they trust that you're actually the height that you list. But short kings are upset.
Speaker 2: So that's that brings up an age old question and that's that's a good take, Nick, because if your lady is height a big deal?
Speaker 1: I'd say it is for many especially if Tender's going to implement this feature, right, I mean, wow, I know so what I find not maybe this has changed over the years, because this is just something that was actually from many years ago and it just stood out to me because I was very surprised by it and fascinated honestly. But despite now with the Internet and all these different apps, I mean, there's an app if you're not only looking for some companionship, you're looking for a signific other, and you're looking for one that has a specific thing that she that she likes, enjoys you could probably find a dedicated platform for that. I mean, that's not unheard of. So I bring that up to say that, really, with your phone and all the different apps, there's a lot of ways you can try to find somebody now easier said than done. I'm sure there's many that have tried and said I'm never doing that again, because you know, you just connected on the internet on an app and you met somebody and it was a disaster. But there's also others that I'm sure right now or listening that have married somebody that they met on the internet or an app. So again, everybody's situation is different. But at least three or four years ago, there was a study that was done. This was right actually right around the pandemic that despite so many resources now available to meet and date, there was a much better success rate of meeting people and going on dates long ago. Yeah, back before people you know, you have to used to just have to walk up to somebody at a bar and say, hey, how you doing, what's your I'm Joe, you know what I mean? Like nowadays you could be somebody that is my age or maybe a little older that that was never really the culture as far as meeting people, and you know, maybe that's why a lot of people don't even really know how to be socially had to socially interact with with folks and not be awkward and uncomfortable. But I just found that fascinating that despite all the new resources available, studies showed that it actually was easier to to date and really get to know people. And it's probably because you weren't doing on a device you were you know, there was eye to eye contact you could. You could get a read for somebody. So shout out to those that didn't have apps and phones and get the Internet, and they were able to actually, you know, meet people, establish relationships and you know, who knows, maybe they ended up meeting their significant other and had a life together, because you know, it's just it's a different world. But yeah, I'm sure there are the amount of different dating apps you can find now, the amount of them would probably surprise a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Well point, when I lived in San Diego, this was as recent as the late nineties, there was a video dating service. In full confession, raising my hand, I went to one as long before I met my.
Speaker 1: Own video dating service Tap.
Speaker 2: So you literally walk into this office space in San Diego and they have a wall of videotapes and they go through this filter process and you know what you're looking for. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then you grab the video tapeses like going to a video rental store. You grab the videotapes you want.
Speaker 3: You go sit. It's weird. You go sit in this room and.
Speaker 2: It's comfortable, it's tasteful, but you sit and watch these videotapes and people get on and just start talking about them.
Speaker 1: So the videotapes, it's basically somebody pitching themselves as a potent.
Speaker 3: It is. That's all it is.
Speaker 2: And it's weird. It's like your watch Love Connection when they sit in that little window.
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds weird just because that is that would be unheard of this day and age. But really it's it's essentially the same church difference too. Yeah, it's the same process. It's just that's the way you did it when we didn't have the technology that we have now.
Speaker 3: Oh it was so expensive, dude.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, they'd hit you up with you get that, they all get you with that initial fee it's like five hundred bucks. And then each time you go in it was like they hook it, maybe three free visits, and then each time you go to this. This is the late nineties, no mid nineties, ninety.
Speaker 1: Five, so at that point that was a lot of money.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of money, but it was San Diego too, so keep that in mind. And then and then you would pay like thirty bucks each time you went in for like say a half hour hour. It was bizarre and long story short. I never ended up seeing anybody I know that was interested. And I ironically met my wife just a few years later. She was walking off the dance floor a place called Buffalo Joe's in San Diego, and we met on a total whim and.
Speaker 3: Got together the next day. I didn't think we would And the rest is history.
Speaker 1: Well crazy, It is crazy how it all works out. Also, I mean that process in hearing the price. Yeah, there's a market for people want a companion, people want a relationship. They do, probably maybe even more so back then than now. Probably wasn't as socially, you know, and I guess everybody's normal is different. But yeah, that.
Speaker 3: People want companions, Yeah, and they'll pay good money for it. It's now more like survivor audition tape. Yeah, that's exactly right, John, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: That's a wild, wild story. But again I hear you say that, I'm like, that's crazy. But again, back then, it's really the same thing. It's basically the same thing as a dating app. It's just again, technology was not what it is what it is now and stuff. All right, quick break, we've got another update on traffic and weather coming your way right here on news radio eight forty Whas it's seven forty six here at Kentucky and it's morning news. We've got another update on sports coming your way in about nine minutes from from Scott Fitzgerald.
Speaker 3: Dude, I had to look up. I didn't mean it BoNT be out there.
Speaker 2: I had to look up and see if that dating service was still in San Diego, and I can't believe it's still there.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. We've had people tweeting in and I still have a text line from our own show. But people are sharing that they've met their significant other on different dating apps, which again I tried to emphasize that it's probably worked for a lot of folks, but I'm sure there's there's many stories on both sides of where it has been a disaster or it's been I can't believe I was able to utilize this service, this platform, meeting the app, and I've met the love of my life and now we have a great life together. Maybe you even have kids together. Because again, these things have been around for a long time. And if you're wondering why this is coming up, is because there is a new I guess, a new feature within the Tender app that you can pay more money. I suppose if I guess, you could do it maybe on the on the male side or the female side, that will let you determine if somebody's height is actually what they claim it is. And some of the some of the I guess shortfellows that are a little upset that maybe they're going to get checked, you know, get that height check. They're wondering if they can get like a weight check and all that. So, you know, I don't think that a platform like Tender would implement such a change if they weren't well aware that there was going to be some pushback. But they think that it might make their it might make their platform maybe different than others. However, there's also some that have said there's I guess Bumble is another competitor.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, Courtney Donahoe talked about.
Speaker 1: That Bumble is a competitor and they've had a height filter before, so yes, Tender's not. I guess Tender's just kind of following the lead of somebody else. But yeah, I mean the Internet. I sometimes wonder what life was like pre Internet. And I'm old enough to where I feel like, as a kid, we didn't have like we had dial up when I was old enough to I guess hit middle school, but even then, like we had connection, but you couldn't do anything like you can now on the Internet. So I feel like if I was a kid, and this is going to sound like a you know, back in my day, we didn't have devices we can have tablets. We had like Nintendo, and that was cool. But now, I mean, and I'm guilty as any like my kids, if you know, there's there's downtime, they're just connected to a screen more than they should be. And if I was their age and things were like that during my childhood, I'd probably be the same way and hopefully things would have worked out. But I feel like the Internet really took off at a time convenient for me to get a little bit of both where I ran around as a kid, and I didn't spend a ton of time just inside on a computer because even when we played video games, I mean, there wasn't a whole lot to it. Now you can you can be eight years old, fire up your PlayStation and play against somebody in Taiwan. I mean that's just it's a it's a much much different world. And I oftentimes talk about when it comes to this broadcasting. I've never ever been on the air when it comes to radio and not been able to rely on the Internet to help me do what I do. And back in the day, it wasn't like that. Right you come in with your with your notes and your paper and you're jotting stuff down, you're reading the newspaper, and oftentimes I don't even need it. But just if there was a situation where I'm in front of this big screen, in front of this big spaceship looking board that is, you know, powering this this this show it. I mean, if I just on the screen it showed me that I wasn't connected, I would I would probably start spinning my wheels, like like we need to go.
Speaker 3: To break well, that's when people do it or like a panic attack. If the internet goes out, people are like, oh gotta go home.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But you know interesting you bring that up, because I was gonna ask you how you approach it with your son. I guess we can talk about another segment because I went through my son is on the Internet too long stage with my own kid. Turned out, he was fine. He's turned out to be great. Now he's working for the Reds this summer. He's going to be a junior Xavier. Looking back, I think I may have overreacted.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you asked that because we have recently, my wife and I just decided if we are around family, friends, or we're at dinner somewhere, put it up, you know, like, you know, because that's where we need, you know, because it just becomes a zombiere you know. No, I think it's normal for parents to monitor that stuff. I really do. We got sports coming your way, but before that, another update on trafficking and weather right here on Kentucky Has Morning News