Speaker 1: The important thing here is like as we think of stable coins and we think of crypto, it's just now us as PayPal taking that and enhancing their experience even further. I think that's the most important thing. What value do I get out of it as a customer?
Speaker 2: Stable points and blockchain technology? What does that mean to PayPal? Is it the fabric of how payments are going to move forward? Or is this a proof of concept you're testing.
Speaker 1: When you think about it from a consumer's perspective, they don't really need to understand the plumbing behind it. They just need to understand the value.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by I Trust Capital. I Trust Capital gives you a great alternative for buying, selling, and custoding your crypto assets. They allow you to set up a self directed IRA, which gives you huge tax advantages. You can even roll over your four oh one K to this platform. And they not only offer a crypto, they also offer gold and silver and as mentioned, the custody gives you another very safe alternative. So many of you know about self custody. That's a great option, but you can also use I Trust Capital's Premium custody accounts, also known as PCA. So with the rise of crypto scams and phishing attacks, a lot of retail investors are losing their shirts. I mean, let's be honest, right, it sucks to hear that exchanges are getting hacked. Well, I Trust Capital does things a bit different here. They use Ford Bank as they're qualified custodents, so they're actually using a bank here, and they have partnerships with coinbased Prime Fidelity and Fireblocks. They are fully US based and their client experienced team offers direct phone support, so not many platforms offer this. This is very unique to I Trust Capital and folks, most recently we heard from President Trump that the United States is looking to unlock for one case to be able to participate in crypto. Well, you can get a head of the curve by using I Trust Capital and getting started in that process. And folks, I'm a user of the platform. I have an account with them. If you sign up with my link, which is I Trustcapital dot com slash Thinking Crypto, you can get an exclusive one hundred dollars funding bonus. So go learn about this great, safe, and awesome way to buy, sell, and custod your crypto. A great alternative once again with tax advantages and a lot of safety, very safe compared to many exchanges, and all the links will be in a description. Check it out. Hey everyone, welcome into the Thinking Crypto podcast. I'm your host, Tony Edward and joining me today is May Zabane, who is the SVP and General Manager of Crypto at PayPal. May has been at PayPal for over eighteen years and PayPal most recently is announced it's taking its pyus the stable coin global with a massive launch across seventy new markets. May, great to have you, Great to be here, Yeah, May, I am so excited for this conversation to dive into the latest news of PayPal's expansion of p y usd as well as your other crypto initiatives. But I would love to kick it off with your background. Tell us about where you're from and your professional background. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I'm actually originally from Jordan in the Middle East. I grew up and was raised there and then came to the States for I know you said background, and I'm going way back, so sorry, don't worry, I'll make this short. And then came to the States for college and continued and landed in the rabbit hole of tech. And loved it from there. So I have like hardware experience that have done and then into the payments side of the house and been in payments for quite a while, and then that brought me into crypto because the fascinating part of like how can you continue to innovate in payments and how do you really drive and add value back to consumers and merchants and utilizing a new technology such as watchain technology and being able to do that was like super exciting and a passion of mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is one of the reasons I'm so excited to speak with you because you have a plethor of experience in payments. You've been a PayPal for a very long time to so I want to like dive into, you know, your pov of seeing the evolution of payments and what that looks like in the future. You know, where along the lines did you come across blockchain and crypto? What was the aha moment for you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: A lot of it kind of stems also from like just my background, Like when you when you are somebody that's you know, raised in an international perspective, and especially like when you think of the different countries that you're surrounded by So if you think about we grew up actually knowing that a lot of people would use dollar access to to hedge from inflation. We knew that like cross border fees were expensive, like wires and time and settlement, and so I grew up in that environment with that pretty much being embedded is kind of the core of justt of everyday life. And so when you take those those were foundational, like rooted kind of problems that we always knew about just money and it's connectivity and access around the world and from a global perspective. And so when obviously the white paper came out and then there was like the bitcoin emergence and then the continuous around while there could be a stable cryptocurrency, right, that then ties and it still takes all these benefits like it's incident transfers, it's reduced costs, it's sent to anyone anywhere in the world, like it really then starts to become that aha moment of Wow, these are pain points that I've seen for most of my life, and now there's a technology that's really starting to bridge us further and closer into this global connectivity in such a meaningful way.
Speaker 2: So me I want to make sure I asked this question because it's not so much for me, but I think more the crypto curious and that people who are still learning about stable coins and all these things are stable coins and blockchain technology. What does that mean to Paypalt? Is it, let's say, the fabric of how payments are going to move forward? Or is this a proof of concept you're testing and you're doing certain things. I want you to answer that question. I know the answer, but I want you to give that perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really important when you think about it today, Like from a consumer's perspective, today, money moves for them in some cases, like within the PayPal wallet, it is and sent in some cases they have financial service as the cards, et cetera. They don't really need to understand the plumbing behind it. They just need to understand the value. Hey I need to send my friend money. I would like it at the cheapest costs I can, in the fastest way possible, and in something that they're familiar with. Right, And so when you think about just that, that's who we started as a company. We started connecting people, We started connecting consumers and merchants. We started connecting consumers and consumers to be able to move their money and value and in a way that is simple and easy and relatable to them.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I think the important thing here is like, as we think of stable coins and we think of crypto, it's just now us as PayPal taking that and enhancing their experience even further. It's saying, hey, if you want to now send cross border to a friend around the world and in a stable currency, because that's what your friend wants to receive. And by the way, you can do that today through PayPal, a platform that you're familiar with, and you can send it will there's no cross border fee, there's no time to settle, it can arrive instantly and for them. And so I think that's the most important thing that any mainstream user needs to understand, not the complexity or the back end or the plumbing of how things work, but actually, like what value do I get out of it as a customer? What are you tangibly giving me, Which is something that has faster speed, something that has a lower cost, something that then you're putting in a platform that can be accessible to me in the place that I'm used to engaging with and trust.
Speaker 2: Pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts, please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content. Thank you so much. Absolutely, And then just recently, PayPal announced the expansion of its stable coin pyu is the to seventy markets worldwide. So talk to us a bit about that and how that's going to improve crossborder payments. You know, you highlighted some of the benefits there and the strategy behind the expansion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fundamentally, because as you said, well, like a payments company with our stable point and have a distribution network of consumers and merchants of like hundreds of millions right around the world, and so when you think of that now, it's like, Okay, how do we utilize it and actually put it in people's hands so that they can access it and they can find utility around it and so this was a big portion of our of our access strategy, a part of that which is, okay, how do we now enable our PayPal wallets around the world into these seventy markets to be able to hold, send, spend, and earn rewards on our stable point. And by the way, now if that if that consumer and that's in a specific country Columbia, Peru, et cetera, now wants to send it to somebody else. Now they can again, they send it, they receive it in a stable value as US sollers backed stable coin. They can now send it to another person. And now a flywheel really starts to emerge, and there's there's no costs. There's really like bare minimum costs in that. So the transfer feed part of it is minimal of costs, the stability of it being there's no conversion into local guardsy they can when they want to, and that gives them more control because now if I received it, and I'm in one of those kinds trees as p y U, s C, I can whenever I want to, whenever the FX you know, rates are best suited for me to be able to convert it. And so it really gives and empowers people around the world to have more like economic control. And I think that's what really like excites us the most and like makes this really purposeful because now you really are able to give that stability to people and especially where they need it most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is really great, and the benefits to folks in many countries and developing countries and so forth. You know, I think here in the United States we take for granted the ability to move moneyly and we have all the infrastructure, but that's not the case across the globe. And I love the fact that people can earn rewards. So to your point, if they're just holding on to that py USD stable corn, they can actually put it to work. Tell us a bit about the rewards and how that functions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we love to say this is a PayPal's valueball up. We help you earn, send, spend, and we want to get view that flexibility. So on the URN perspective, if you hold so the amount that you hold, you essentially earn annual four percent annual rewards on bo I C by having that in your wallet, and you obviously can then still send and spend it as you want. But it really give gives at least puts your money to your you know, your money value, monetary value to work when you're not sending or spending it.
Speaker 2: Now PayPal, of course within its network has Venmo and I know you offer crypto the ability to buy sell crypto. There is p yus you also available via Venmo.
Speaker 1: It is actually yeah, I think we launched in twenty twenty one or sorry, twenty one, crypto trading was launched in Venmo and then in twenty three once we launched our stable point, it was actually available in both PayPal and Venmo.
Speaker 2: Interesting, so does it offer the same type of capabilities or.
Speaker 1: Okay, pretty much the same. Yeah. So you can buy and sell different cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum and Solana. You can also hold p y u s C, you can earn on p y u s C, you can you can transfer, so it it's it's definitely a great capability and especially for that demographic and for Venmo users, it really provides an easy way. It's a platform they eleven and engage with and now it's just an extra, an extra way for them to engage.
Speaker 2: Kind of a customer perspective question with the rollout, are the users notified that hey, the p y u s these stable coin is now powering our rails. And here are the benefits, like lower fees, you can earn rewards or is it kind of just running behind the scenes. The customer seeds is the benefits. But I think you alluded to earlier. They don't necessarily need to know the piping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on this one in particular, this launch, it is more customer facing, means that they would hold a p y a stable point itself. It's not the back end like piping of the like payments infrastructure. I do think we you know, the world will go there on both sides, being you know, stable coins being part of the back end architecture as well as being a front and kind of asset that people use and materialize. But in this case, in particular, it is p y us. See this set. The great news is that most people in these emergent countries and different places already actually understand what stable coins are have adopted it half familiarity again because people are trying to find ways to provide stability for themselves. And you know, US dollar accessed just as a as a currency is not always accessible in certain countries for many different reasons and relationships or infrastructure that's available, and so I think that's where crypto it provides a little bit more accessibility and access. So it's still the stability of US dollar, but it's it is a cryptocurrency that is open and accessible.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, and it's awesome to hear that consumers in other countries, they are starting to get educated and they understan they're starting to understand what's happening here and how stable coins and these things can change the way they can get access to the US dollar and much more. And you know, I just as you were saying that, I thought back to two thousand and nineteen ninety nine and using PayPal back then in the early days of the Internet, and it's amazing how things have evolved since then. It's just fascinating. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Right, There's a point in technology was like, oh, moving money digitally was like a big thing, and then it was oh my gosh, there's mobile payments and what does that do? Right? And then there's like instore payments. You mean, I can take my digital and start paying in store, you know, outside of the traditional you know, became a lot more of the tap and base and O Okay, you know, let a lot of that. And so when you think about just the evolution of just your money or your value, and I think this is a bit of the next frontier, which is like, how do you now take we've made some of these pieces. Now it's a bit of that on chain, you know version we've done off liin mobile online, and now it's like, okay, what does the chain application into payments look like? And how do you take and freak those benefits and then provide that back to customers. So I think it's actually super exciting because I think when you think about the world and where we are, global connectivity matters a lot instancy, and you know, things are becoming more rapid and instant, and that's everything of our expectations, from social to payments to every aspect. And then if you even predict further out like into an AI you know world, if you think agent to agent and you think about some of these things, it needs programmable money and a different type of currency than fiat, especially if you think of micro transactions and you think about things that if we believe that is where the world is going, then it will also need a digitally native for grammable currency, where stable coins would have also a perfect fit to play in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, you know, there's a lot of talk of AI agents and I've even interviewed some folks who are building humanoid robots and software, and guess what, They're going to have a built in crypto wallet. And I can't imagine those those things AI agents and humanoid robots are going to be using cash and stable coins are you know, the best fit with the instant settlement twenty four to seven, you know, everything's running three sixty five, it seems those digital we want to call it, non human interactions are going to be powered by stable coins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's fascinating, like it's and I you know, it's you know, no one knows, but obviously there's a tons of like high anticipation or prediction of that, and it doesn't feel considering how things have moved so fast, it almost feels like it may come sooner than we think. And it's just fascinating you to see how it helps us evolve.
Speaker 2: So do you see that maybe in ten years time, stable coins are running through the rails, Consumers are educated about it. If they choose to, they can leverage the stable coins in different ways, but pretty much PayPal it's competitors, and all the payments domestic or cross boarder are powered by stable coins.
Speaker 1: I think there's a world for both to interact. So I don't know that stable coins solve everything. And that's where I think we need to be honest and careful, as you know, as we were deliberate and intentional, as we you know, as builders and technologists kind of build into the future, Like we shouldn't be seeking you know, it's not the solution to problem that like which ones is it? And then that's why cross border payments, it's it's a pretty it's a pretty compelling solution when you look at the costs and the settlement and the times and so there definitely I think will be a world, or continue to be a world where both will continue to exist. And I think it's just the sharpened focus of like true maximized value, because there's no point in moving some things that work very efficiently onto stable cointments. Like what's the point of that If it's not adding value, it's not reducing costs, and it's not helping customers at the end of the day. But maybe it's helping a business in the back end being more efficient in their treasury movement, maybe cross countries and borders, and then a customer probably never needs to know, but the company itself is maximizing its efficiency or saving costs, and that that's super relevant. And so I think it's the application as we think about it, what is the product market fit? What true value do you drive in the equation? And then being able to provide that out is the world that we will see more of. So I think it's a little bit of that pushing payments further into spaces that drive that really need faster speed, need lower costs, and then you'll see that emerge a lot.
Speaker 2: So on that note, that's that's a great point and a great segue into something I wanted to ask you about, and that is TCS Blockchain and Paypals partnership where the collaboration allows for more carriers to settle freight invoices faster and cheaper. Tell us about that collaboration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So TCS Blockchain is doing a a fantastic job of really understanding the pain points of like the trucking industry and how important right like invoices are being paid instantly, being able to receive money in your hands so that they can can continue to operate right And so they've then applied kind of the blockchain rails and to this application of invoicing and now been able to give truckers and give people just their value right away and to be able to then operate in their financial lives. So I think it was a great way for them to just showcase like application and what I really loved about it also it's in a different vertical a different industry than we've normally and traditionally talked about like just holistically as an industry as we've thought about kind of payments or the application. And this is what I think is super exciting now and what we'll start to see from here to the next few years is the applications of blockchain and stables into more and more verticals, into places where there are really driving down kind of pain points. And that was a great like B to B example of where it helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really great, And I love that this technology is solving problems and you're highlighting different industries, different verticals, and I think these stories have to be told because so they don't usually make the headlines. Sometimes it's usually something you know about the price of this coin went up and things like that. So I love these type of stories. Another one that's kind of close to home to me is YouTube added p YUS, the stable coin as a payout option for US content creators. How did that come about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a thing that we've been very passionate about, which is how do you help in cross border payments? How do you provide people more access into everything that we had just talked about, Right, a stable currency for where they need it, so more globally if you think about it, And what YouTube did is apply it within their US aspect to start with, right, And so I think it's we have a product called a payouts product within PayPal and that has multi different ways for YouTube to be able to pay out for their content creators. And so we worked internally with our teams and expanded to have p yusc also as an option in our payouts product. So if a consumer would want for it to be in their bank account, they can also obviously have that, and now they can also have it within py USC.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: We were thrilled to work with Google on this and expand the payouts partnership and be able to add it as an additional And what I love about that use case is it starts to inspire and make it real for people. It's like because that is a place that I think there is a major pain point, which is why we integrated the product in the first place with pyosc because now all these marketplaces, all these places where content creators, if you just step away from just specifically on the Google one, just holistically that market on content creation and gig workers they do, there's a lot that get paid overseas, and so that ties into our earlier conversation of then now not only domestically but also internationally allowing people to have choice in the way that they want to get paid, and then depending on where where it is is like the value that it will matter most with. So I think it was a great example in use case of like how to apply a stable coin into into an aspect of a different again vertical and way that people would give people choice.
Speaker 2: Now another news item, and you guys have been done a lot, so I wanted to make sure I go through all of these. But we've been busy. We've been busy for sure, and this one I think is pretty profound with moonpay and m zero they announced p y u s d X, a framework that allows developers to issue application specific stable coins backed by p y u s C. That's pretty incredible to tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is this is a great also example as you said of like now you have the ability for developers to build in very seamless and scalable ways without taking on all the complexity. So mumpey and m zero have you know, an excellent like infrastructure, have the tools, have all the development to be able to offer that in a platform, to be able to offer developers. And so what are they offering developers. They're offering developers essentially the ability to get started quickly easily, to be able to have then their own stable coin and be able to have their own business that they can build off of in a very fast way. And ultimately that is backed by pyosc, which pyosc is holistically in itself as transparent reserves is like as a you know, a brand halo around it. And so this partnership is perfect. It takes the best of what we do, which is offering our brand is stable coin, the best of what mumpe and m zero do, which is providing the platform and infrastructure, and they then have packaged that out into the industry for developers as a tool to be able to say, start building. We make this easy for you, and then you can kind of build your businesses not worry about these things instead of getting bogged down without actually go create the experiences you know, and the ideas and bring those to life. Where these developers have such creative aspects of So I.
Speaker 2: Want to dive a bit deeper into that just to have like a real world example. So let's say I'm Amazon and I want to launch my own stable coin. So with this PLAT framework, I can do that kind of like a layer two to p y U s D with p y U s D used as the reserves to back my stable coin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like poys is a reserve, yeah, reserve asset around it.
Speaker 2: Yet interesting, and how is the p y is the custodied or is it like in a vault And I'm assuming moon pay and m zero at the one doing like the attestation so to speak, or to custody.
Speaker 1: So p y C itself, the papsos is the issuer. Papsos will do the adjustation on reserves. So none of that part changes of pyusc itself, that's all transparent, that's all published, that's all kind of audited throughout.
Speaker 2: Interesting. So it's kind of like a stable coin as a service type product where it can be almost like white labeled where almost any retailer or company can do this.
Speaker 1: Kind of Yeah, they've they've and what the beauty of what they've done is they have the tool developer tools, infrastructure to be able to provide the things needed holistically and then this being as a reserve asset. And that's what I think is the most powerful is like what developers need is like to get started fast, to be able to go create what they want but not have to worry then about they have to create their own stable point, create then all these like complexities around it. So plamon Pan has been able to do with them zero is just like package this up almost kind of like you said, like as a service type in a box for them and then go build, Like here's the infrastructure part that you need to go build and and create the business that you know they've dreamt of and and you know fundamentally want to you know, solve some specific problem that they're building for.
Speaker 2: That's pretty profound. I don't. I don't believe this is the first of its kind if I'm not mistaken, because I've not heard of anything like this before.
Speaker 1: I think there's uh, you know what I I I can't answer. I think I don't know there's a holistic package that's been that's been out there, so so yeah, I will. But it is very unique, it is very powerful. We are super excited about it. Have you know, launching being out there and being able to provide kind of service and especially to developers that addresses like a market you know builders.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And I'm assuming you know, all these things are possible because the Genius Act has been passed and that's that's been rolled out, and you know what does that meant for PayPal's business, you know on the stable coin.
Speaker 1: Side, Yeah, for Genius. I think what it's the most beautiful thing that it did is it put I think America back in the in the game a bit. It provided this you know, showcase of a framework and of a stance that we want to have, you know, cryptocurrencies and building and thinking holistically about the crypto industry back into the game of like being more forefront of innovation, giving traditional players what they would need to feel like the permission to play in without worrying about the ambiguity. And I think that's exactly what it did. It helped because post Genius, what you saw as a floodgate then of all the traditional players in the industry now starting to say more publicly and come out, Okay, we need to think about what our stable point strategy is. We need to think about what it means, how do we use it, how do you apply it, do you create your own do you not? So it just almost as if it was permission to engage, and that's what I thought was really powerful about it and what we started to see. So it started to make the conversation actually much easier. Before it was a lot of will there should there be stable coins, but they're not yet regulated, there's no frameworks around it. And it took all of that away, and it's just like, yes, stable coins are real, stable points are here, they're actually even from a government perspective, like being talked about and will be regulated. And so now it's just about so what do you do and how do you materialize the benefits of it to your own business?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you mentioned like government's talking about it. This is such an important item for the US and the US world reserve, the US dollar continuing to be the world reserve currency. Many members of Congress, even the President himself has talked about this, and it feels like it's another Bretton Woods moment where there is a significant change in how currency is handled, you know, going back to the gold standard and coming off the gold standard, these things. It's it's I think, like a pivotal time in history, and I think it's going to be looked back as you know, hey, twenty twenty five, twenty twenty six, that was the moment we went fully digital so to speak, with the US dollar and helped it to maintain the world reserve currency status.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're just in a very unique in our lifetime. At least this is probably the first time I'd say, like it's the first unique moment. We're at this exact kind of almost crossroads or like this pivotal change where if you think about the impacts of if AI, you think about the impacts of blockchain technology and the application of it, like we are changing the way people interact, We're changing the way people move value, people even see value, and people can access value and it's really powerful and that's what makes us like intersections so exciting to be in the center of this, to be able to define and iterate and figure out what that next wave is as the world is evolving and every day there's something different and technology is moving at a speed so than I think we've ever seen it before, and so it's it's such a beautiful time to be able to be here, to be present, and to be able to build in this space.
Speaker 2: There was another news item I wanted to ask you about where p y U s D is going to be used to support USD DOT AIS on chain financing for AI infrastructure including GPUs and data centers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's another example of exactly what we talked about, right, which is a reserve kind of asset aspect. So they have an idea where they are helping provide financing to get access to kind of the GPUs and to be able to do it with you know, with with capital and being able to access it. And so here again p y U s T is more in the back end of this, but a reserve asset. So I think it's what I love about this is it starts to show like where the cryptonative ecosystem has continued to develop and build in these applications and use cases, but doesn't need to go on solid of everything it can actually rely on than a reserve asset. That's you know again, has that transparency, has that aspect that brings brings the credibility and takes away the complexity.
Speaker 2: May everybody in their uncle as a result of the Genius Act, Passing is looking to launch a stable coin, right even the banks are talking by doing so. Certainly there's going to be more than one obviously, uh maybe more than a handful, But could there be too much saturation over time where there needs to be some consolidation and you know, PayPal being one of the leaders in payments with a huge brand, huge network, look to acquire somebody these other stable coin players and build up its you know network even further. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the you know, the the thing about where we're at and state like focus is incredibly important, and so like being diligent and thoughtful about what really is the next step. I think we're right now and payments are emerging as.
Speaker 2: A use case.
Speaker 1: How do we take what we have and actually show this show these movements and moments and value to consumers, merchants and integrate in the network. So at this point I agree with you, like, I don't think while everybody's like figuring out do they partner, do they build? Do they buy aspect, we've already we've already been in that decision. We've already created our own and built you know, have our own obviously with Taxis being the issuer, but we have our own branded one and so now it's like, okay, so we've already passed that kind of question that I think a lot of people are still entering into. We've passed that question for us. It's like utility and application. It's like, how do I now make this into real payments, real adoption and real people using it and materializing it? And those are the problems we're thinking about and solving. How do you ignite the flywheels? How do you start giving it in more hands to more people around the world in our ecosystem. I think to your point, a lot of other companies are starting on this debate. You know, what do they do? What should their approach be? And exactly that, Like, if they start now, there's probably going to be there will be there's going to be a lot of players trying to get in. Not all of them will succeed. Some only want it enclosed wall gardens, some will leave it open, And so you get into this aspect they really should think through of like really how much complexity should they take on and where do they want to play as they see the world and it's changing.
Speaker 2: So speaking of the world and how it's changing, I think it goes without saying the future is more digital than today, right, We're not going backwards, and certainly the younger generation are more digitally savvy. You know, for the most part, they're doing everything on their smartphone. I think I heard Sandy call from Franklin Templeton and I want to give her credit for this. You know, we're heading away from the account based setup to the wallet based setup, and obviously Aypal it's clearly doing that. Are there any interesting trends or anything you're It might be too early to answer this question, but that you're seeing with the younger generation. I don't know if you guys track things like that, and how they're adopting crypto via Venmo and PayPal and even the use of p y USD.
Speaker 1: I think it's I mean, and actually, you know, it's just fascinating because wherever you go, you will you will probably you hear this, like you hear somebody at a conference. They'll be like, my daughter came up to me and has bought bitcoin or or has engaged with the sable one is explaining to their parents like what this is. So I actually definitely think you're spot on, Like I think there is a generational thing where they have actually getting introduced into digital value, straight into cryptocurrencies, and so I think they're they're they're also in a world where like they are engaging and adopting and having to like materialize what the move of technology so fast, Right, So they've gotten used to TikTok and they've gotten new to Instagram. They've grown in a digital world themselves. They've had iPads since they were like I don't know two three some of them, and that's what the first device that they learned on. Right, So it's a generation that is learning digital native straight from the start, and they have adopted and understand. You also see this sense. I think it's just a broader trend is that I look around at least from just my people that I talk to you see this trend of like economic freedom emerging in the in the in the also the younger generation, Like the traditional way that people have looked at assets and wealth and growth is not necessarily how the younger generation is looking at it, and so the adoption of kind of trying to find their way of economic freedoms. Right. I was just having this debate with a colleague on like he's you know, he's abating do I buy a house? Do I not buy house? And he's like, it's just people have even seen like real estate in a different way where traditionally used to be like the foundation you'd have to have a home, and that's what like the you know, the American dream it was, and now it's actually I feel like it's all changing a little bit and how people view the world for how to grow wealth, for how kind of global and accessibility really matters. And so I think these are components and thinking about a digital first world that everybody is growing into. I mean, you think about your like, at least for me, my phone is the one thing that I know I never am anywhere without and that wasn't true like maybe like ten years ago, like right, So it's amazing how attached we get and how reliant we get on technology and how ingrained it becomes in our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because you know, in the movies and books and things like that, when I was growing up, you think we're shown a cyborg and it was like the machine is part of the person, right, But it's not like that. But the point is it is a bit like it because we have our phones with us. Plus we may have an AI agent and you know, doing things for us. So it's like a different form of a cyborg that we were becoming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's it's very fascinating. And now the A agent maybe in the future is doing some you know, actions for you and like shopping for you or whatever it may be. There's people that use it for conversations, design conversations, emotional conversations. Like it's it is very fascinating how how people are adopting engaging and really and really kind of materializing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have an eight year old daughter, so I've already started teaching her about blockchain, and I told her, like, there's some bitcoin here on a hardware wallet that's going in to save you know, when when you're eighteen, you can access it. Uh, things along those lines, like just teaching about AI and blockchain and all those things, because by the time she's an adult, it's gonna be even more prominent and you know, running behind the scenes. Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Has she has she adopted like AI still? Has she gotten kind of familiarity with it? Or have you taught her? Are you teaching her kind of the components?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So some of it they're teaching in school. But I've been like highlighting like some of the AI services like a chat, GPT, certainly teaching about blockchain tech and things like that. So I quit her from time to time. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she does not love that, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, She's like, okay, dad, Yeah, this is what it is, and then she moves on.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you later, So thank you later.
Speaker 2: That's sure. Yeah, for sure. I know PayPal has been doing an incredible amount of initiatives around and I feel bad asking you this question because we went through so much. But what's on your roadmap for the remainder of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will. You'll continue to see us be pretty consistent, So we will be just driving down into more and more integrated experiences and the payments, so and just you know, figuring out how to ignite better more the experiences we have. So I think that's you know, and then of course any key kind of partnerships that may come to life, as you've seen a few that you've already mentioned today. So we hope to continue the momentum on all fronts, so from adoption to continued reach and distribution and really just bringing these use cases and utility to the world.
Speaker 2: There's something I forgot to ask you earlier, and it's about tokenization. So the tokenization market is heating up with stocks and equities and gold and other commodities being tokenized. It's PayPal looking into doing anything along those lines or integrating those assets once they become you know, fully mature so to speak, and there's infrastructure in place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this time, we're still kind of focused on that earlier parts that I talked about, So it's just we already have pretty much a tokenized and so how do we take you know, how do we take the yosc How do we drive more experiences for people and integrate into PayPal. So it kind of goes back to our area of like when you're a when you're a small animal team, you got your resources, you've got to really double down and focus. Otherwise it's easy because like you said, you know, it changes a lot to encryption and there's so many things emerging that you have to like phase your approaches and what do you do first, second, third, and making sure you get some things right before you move on to the next and next thing. So it's definitely something we've thought about. It's something we because it is really really becoming pretty predominant to your point, on this area of it. But it's it doesn't mean we have to necessarily integrate it ourselves. It's how do you now partner or look at the different players and how could we become a settlement later, like you start to have different conversations. You don't need to build and own everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great point. And I know you guys are working with pakso so I immediately thought of packs, gold and you know things like that. But you know, crawl, walk, run, and I think you guys are doing an amazing job on the stable coin front, So I think maybe once that's ready, then you guys will branch out to other things maybe yeah, yeah, good stuff. May I didn't want to ask you about the Clarity Act. You know that's kind of stuck in Senate right now. But let's say we get it through this year or maybe early next year. What impact do you think that will have on the crypto industry.
Speaker 1: I think it's really like helps on kind of the tradinglative legislation front. So I think that look, the more not to pun the word here, but clarity, But the more clarity and the more like frameworks that we can provide the crypto industry, then the faster that the crypto industry will continue. I know, it feels like it may slow down in a sense because now there's regulation you got to like start applying and thinking about. But the reality is clarity and frameworks actually provide innovation to faster faster in certain cases. It's obviously depending on how and deep the regulation is, but that's what I think is very important. I think in the same way Genius helped on stable coins, I think Clarity will provide the same and so I think it's very important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hoping Congress can get it done. It would be just a landmark moment similar to the Genius Act, and we could see more innovation and building. I got some wrap up questions here for you. First, if you could create your own metaverse, what would the theme be.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I'm a bit of a shopper, so it probably will involve shopping.
Speaker 2: And rapid fire questions.
Speaker 1: Favorite food I love Mediterranean food.
Speaker 2: Nice. A favorite musician or band.
Speaker 1: Wow, I love electronic kind of music, electronic chill music. So I'm varied within kind of where that falls in, but more as a genre.
Speaker 2: And favorite movie.
Speaker 1: Love Actually, it's probably the one that I watch every single Christmas, just because it just I don't know what it is, A very special one. Favorite book, Oh, that one's a tough one. Read White Owne might be one of one of the ones up there. Or the Alchemists from Pamaquilo actually, or the Petite Friends that's been since a childhood book of mine, so that might be the generation one that's lasted the most.
Speaker 2: And when you're not working, what are you doing for fun?
Speaker 1: I am catching up with friends. Yeah, catching up for friends.
Speaker 2: May pleasure chatting with you. I love what PayPal is doing. We're going to have to do round two. As PayPal continues to roll out new initiatives and services and much more, but thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Joan, it's so great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning in. Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, please follow and leave a five star rating. Thank you so much,