Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: I want you to take a second and picture the physics of just a regular, everyday morning fog.
Speaker 3: Sure, just you know, a standard terrestrial weather thing.
Speaker 2: Right, So you wake up, you look out the window, and the ambient temperature overnight has dropped just enough to push the local humidity past its dew point exactly.
Speaker 3: The water vapor in the air condenses into this thick, low lying cloud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's quiet, it's very localized. But then a few hours later, the morning sun comes up, raises the temperature, and the water sublimates right back into.
Speaker 3: Gas, and the fog just vanishes. A really narrow thermal gradient. We're talking what maybe a ten or fifteen degree difference between the night and the day.
Speaker 2: Right. It happens so easily here on Earth that we barely even think about the mechanics of it, we just call it weather exactly, but I want you to keep that mechanism in mind and then scale it up to an absolute planetary extreme.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, this is where it gets wild.
Speaker 2: Imagine that the suspended particles in that fog aren't liquid water. They are vaporized.
Speaker 3: Rock, specifically magnesium silicate, literally vaporized sand.
Speaker 2: Right, And the temperature gradient that burns off this morning fog isn't just a gentle sunrise. It is a one thousand degree blast of extreme stellar.
Speaker 3: Radiation, which is just I mean, the energy required to vaporize a planetary wall of solidifying rock in a few hours is staggering. It completely changes how we think about atmospheric violence.
Speaker 2: And that sheer atmospheric violence is exactly what we're focusing on today because for decades as ronomers have been staring at these distant worlds trying to figure out what they're made of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, relying on spectroscopy to read the chemical signatures, but.
Speaker 2: They've been blocked by this incredibly mundane physical problem alien clouds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fog in the way exactly.
Speaker 2: It's been this massive thorn in the side of planetary scientists. But recently there has been this monumental breakthrough.
Speaker 3: We finally figured out how to wipe the fog off the window.
Speaker 2: Right, and the target that allowed us to do this is a gas giant known as OBSP ninety four.
Speaker 3: AB WSP ninety four AB. Yeah, it's located in the Microscopium constellation, roughly seven hundred light years away from us, and.
Speaker 2: It falls into that classic category we call a hot jupiter.
Speaker 3: Which basically means it orbits incredibly close to its host star. It's constantly getting blasted by radiation, and it's tidally locked.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tidally locked, meaning one side of the planet is always facing the star.
Speaker 3: Right right, you have a permanent day side that is just getting baked and a prominent night side that is constantly radiating its heat out into the cold vacuum of space.
Speaker 2: And that intense temperature difference is the engine for this whole fog problem. But to really appreciate how big of a deal this new discovery is, we have to look back at the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: The whole foggy window era of astronomy.
Speaker 2: Right, because general cloudiness has basically stalled our ability to study the atmospheres of these hot.
Speaker 3: Jupiters, it really did. I mean the way we study these exoplanets is through transmission spectroscopy.
Speaker 2: Right, the telescope breeds the starlight.
Speaker 3: Exactly when the planet transits or you know, passes in front of its star. The starlight filters through the very edge of the planet's atmosphere like a halo. Yeah, exactly, an annulus of gas. And as the light passes through different chemicals like sodium or water or carbon monoxide, they absorb specific wavelengths of that light.
Speaker 2: And then we catch that light in our telescopes and basically look at what's missing to figure out the recipe of the atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Which works flawlessly, assuming of course, that the atmosphere is made of transparent gases.
Speaker 2: Which brings us back to the fog. So think of it like this. Imagine you're standing across the street.
Speaker 3: From a diner, okay, a diner, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You're trying to appreciate the super fine details of a masterpiece painting hanging on the back wall inside that diner. You know, the painting is there, you can get the general shapes, but the diner window is completely steamed up with condensation.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: The crucial details are totally hidden because the light from the diner gets scrambled before it reaches you.
Speaker 3: In physics we call that me scattering the droplets of condensation, or in the case of these planets, the high altitude clouds, they literally scatter the photons.
Speaker 2: So the telescope doesn't see the painting.
Speaker 3: No, it just reads the chemical signature of the steamed up window. It just reads the cloud layer.
Speaker 2: And for a long time, the best tool we had for this was the Hubble Space Telescope, which you know is an absolute marvel of engineer.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, But Hubble had a very specific limitation when it came to this cloudy window problem.
Speaker 2: Right the wide field camera three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when researchers pointed Hubble at these hot jupiters, they expected to see these nice deep absorption lines for things like water vapor.
Speaker 2: But instead the data just came back completely.
Speaker 3: Flat muted because it was just hitting that opaque, gray wall of high altitude clouds. Hubble was basically just skimming the tops of the cloud decks.
Speaker 2: And the real issue wasn't just that Hubble couldn't see through the clouds, it was how it collected the data right, it provided this averaged view, yes.
Speaker 3: The spatial integration. That's the technical term for the squish, the squishing right.
Speaker 2: Hubble lacked the precision to slice up the data over time, so when it looked at the planet passing in front of the star, it just took all the light from the entire atmosphere mashed it together into one single data point.
Speaker 3: It convolved it so if one side of the planet was completely blocked by clouds, that opacity basically watered down the data for the entire planet.
Speaker 2: It's like taking a really comple like symphony audio track. You've got this delicate string section and then a super loud brass section, right, and you just compress the whole thing down to a single mono channel with heavy distortion. You totally lose the violins because the brass just overrides everything.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what was happening to our atmospheric models. We were building our understanding of these planets based on this muddy, compressed data.
Speaker 2: Which was incredibly frustrating. I mean, we were staring at a steamed up window for two decades. We needed a better tool to isolate the different parts of the atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Enter the James Web Space Telescope JWST.
Speaker 2: Yes, the James Web. This is where everything changes because JWST didn't just give us a bigger mirror.
Speaker 3: No, it gave us than your infrared spectrograph, the NIRSpec and crucially the temporal resolution.
Speaker 2: The ability to track the light perfectly over time, which allowed astronomers to do something basically magical. They watched mcguoy's pay ninety four AB pass directly in front of.
Speaker 3: Its star, and instead of mashing all the light together like Hubble did, they sliced it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I have to stop you here. I want to play Devil's advocate for the listener for a second.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 2: This planet is seven hundred light years away from us. Yep. From our perspective, it is a sub microscopic speck. It doesn't even look like a disk in the telescope, righty.
Speaker 3: It's essentially just a single pixel of light dipping slightly in brightness.
Speaker 2: So how on earth is it physically possible to isolate the morning weather from the evening weather on a literal.
Speaker 3: Spec It sounds impossible, right, But it all comes down to the ingenious geometry of a transit. Let's break down how JWST actually reads the leading edge and the trailing edge.
Speaker 2: Okay, the anatomy of the transit walks through it.
Speaker 3: So when Wastpai ninety for ab first begins to cross in front of the star, the very first part of the planet's atmosphere to get back lit by the starlight is the leading edge.
Speaker 2: The front of the planet, essentially.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And because the planet is tidally locked, that leading edge represents a very specific atmospheric zone. It's the region where the winds are blowing from the dark, freezing night side across the terminator into the blazing heat of the day side.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the air is moving from night to day. That's a sunrise.
Speaker 3: That's the alien morning.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So JWST takes its first slices of data right then at the morning terminator. Right then the planet continues its journey across the face of the star, and as it's exiting the transit, the very last sliver of atmosphere to be backlit is the trailing edge, the back of the planet. Right and here the atmosphere flow is going in the exact opposite direction. The superheated air from the day side is rotating across the terminator back into the dark night side.
Speaker 2: Which makes it the alien sunset the.
Speaker 3: Evening precisely the evening terminator. So by looking at the exact timing of the transit, the very beginning versus the very end, JWST can completely separate the chemical signature of the morning from the chemical signature of the evening.
Speaker 2: Which is just a staggering technological leap To be able to not just see the specs seven hundred light years away, but to pinpoint incredibly specific localized slivers of its atmosphere at exact moments in its rotation.
Speaker 3: It's mind blowing signal processing. They basically take the overlapping data, do some intense math and subtract the pieces to reveal the distinct morning and evening profiles.
Speaker 2: When they finally did that math on WT ninety four AB, the dichotomy they found was bizarre. It totally shattered the old Hubble models complete paradigm shift because when they isolated the morning edge, the data showed it was entirely clouded over, densely cloudy, just a flat wall of opacity.
Speaker 3: But then they looked at the evening edge, the trailing limb and the skies were perfectly clear, massive distinct chemical absorption features zero clouds.
Speaker 2: A completely cloudy morning and a perfectly clear evening, which you know, on its face doesn't sound that crazy to right.
Speaker 3: It happens in Seattle all the time, exactly.
Speaker 2: A foggy morning that clears up by dinner time is totally normal on Earth. But this discovery absolutely shocked the astronomical community. Why was it such a big deal Because.
Speaker 3: Of what the clouds are made of and the extreme physics required to make them disappear. We have to remember these aren't fluffy water vapor clouds, right.
Speaker 2: We mentioned this at the start.
Speaker 3: Magnesium silicate, yes, and stay tight and forced to write. If you look at the Earth's mantle, these minerals make up the vast majority of it.
Speaker 2: We are literally talking about rock sand.
Speaker 3: Yes, So on this planet it is cloudy with a high chance of literal sandstorms.
Speaker 2: That's horrifying it is.
Speaker 3: And the reason the morning is so cloudy is because of the night side temperature. The dark side of this planet is cold enough that gaseous magnesium and silicon actually condense, They nucleate and form this massive global cloud deck of suspended sand in the dark.
Speaker 2: So you have this solid wall of rock particles, and the plant's rotation carries that dark, sandy atmospheric mass right across the morning terminator exactly.
Speaker 3: It passes in front of the star as a literal physical wall of sand, which perfectly explains why the morning data was flat.
Speaker 2: The starlight couldn't punch through the rock.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: By the time that exact same patch of atmosphere reaches the evening terminator, the sand is completely gone. The skies are crystal clear.
Speaker 2: And that is the massive physical question, right. Yeah, on a planet that's bigger than Jupiter, where do thousands of miles of suspended, vaporized rock go in just a few hours.
Speaker 3: It's a huge mystery. You have this massive thermal gradient. The day side is getting blasted by a thousand degree heat. You can't just maintain a static wall of sand under those conditions.
Speaker 2: The atmosphere has to react violently.
Speaker 3: Very violently. And researchers basically have two working theories for what is causing this great disappearance by nightfall.
Speaker 2: Theory one and theory two. Let's break them down.
Speaker 3: Ray Theory one is the burial mechanism.
Speaker 2: Burial, meaning the clouds are getting shoved underground.
Speaker 3: Basically, yes, So you have this extreme temperature difference between the day and the night right that creates an immense pressure gradient, and because the planet is rotating, it spins up this massive, superfast jet stream right around the equator.
Speaker 2: In the equatorial jet just blast the eastward exactly.
Speaker 3: And as this jet stream carries those heavy sand clouds from the cold morning into the blazing hot day side, the sudden heat causes complex vertical wind share, meaning.
Speaker 2: The wind doesn't just blow left to right, it blows up and down.
Speaker 3: Yes, massive planetary down drafts. The theory is that these powerful winds violently plunge downward, dragging millions of tons of silicate clouds deep into the planet's interior wow yeah, pulling them completely out of sight. So by the time that air mass reaches the evening, the upper atmosphere has been essentially vacuum to clean the clouds are buried.
Speaker 2: That is intense just to localized vertical wind dragging an entire ocean of sand straight down. What kind of immense planetary circulation would be required to sustain that.
Speaker 3: Our three D fluid dynamics model suggests it's entirely possible, especially near the equator where these forces converge.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's theory one, the burial. The Theory two is even more extreme, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, Theory two is the extreme burnoff flash vaporization.
Speaker 2: This is the Earth analogy, but just dialed up to a terrifying extreme.
Speaker 3: Precisely, this theory says we don't even need complex downward winds, it's just brute force thermodynamics. As the planet rotates and that thick wall of solidifying sand drifts out of the dark morning and hits the one thousand plus degree heat of the day side.
Speaker 2: It just boils the actual chemical bonds of the rock.
Speaker 3: The solid particles literally flash vaporize. They absorb the stellar radiation so fast that they sublimate right back into a transparent.
Speaker 2: Gas vaporized into nothingness. Yeah, just completely annihilated by the heat of the star.
Speaker 3: Yep. And because gash of silicon doesn't block the infrared telescope plight the way solid sand does, the opacity just drops to zero.
Speaker 2: So by the time the wind carries that air to the evening terminator, it's perfectly transparent. The clouds only form again once they cross back into the cold night. Ah. A daily planetary scale sand boil. The sheer violence of that imagery is amazing. A wall of solid sand flying out of the dark and instantly vaporizing in blind and heat.
Speaker 3: It really is incredible to picture. But as fascinating as that violent meteorological event is, the absence of those clouds in the evening actually provided an even bigger scientific price.
Speaker 2: Right because the evening was finally clear, astronomers could just look at the trailing edge and see the actual true atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Of the planet without any fog in the way.
Speaker 2: And this brings us back to that baffling error from the old Hubble data. When Hubble was squishing the cloudy morning and the clear evening together, the data it spit out was deeply, deeply problematic.
Speaker 3: It was a nightmare for theorists because when you convolve that data, the massive cloud deck hid all the water absorption lines, so the planet looked like it was completely depleted of oxygen, but the.
Speaker 2: Carbon lines were still somewhat visible.
Speaker 3: Right, So the old data suggested that WSP ninety four AB had a carbon to oxygen ratio of almost one point zero.
Speaker 2: Meaning there was basically just as much carbon as oxygen, which doesn't sound like a big deal to a layman, but in planetary science that's impossible.
Speaker 3: It completely broke existing theories of how planets form. You cannot easily explain how a gas giant could form with that absurdly high ratio of carbon to oxygen. It also implied the planet was hundreds of times more metal rich than our own Jupiter.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's like looking at a person who is wearing a massive, puffy, leadlined winter coat. Huh exactly, and from across the street you look at them in this giant coat and you conclude, Wow, that person must weigh six hundred pounds. They are medically inexplicable.
Speaker 3: Right, they defy biology.
Speaker 2: But really it's just the coat. And JWST basically just waited for the planet to take the coat off in the evening so we could finally put it on a real scale.
Speaker 3: That is a perfect analogy. The anomaly was a total illusion caused by the clouds.
Speaker 2: So what happened when JWST actually weighed the planet so to speak, in the clear evening.
Speaker 3: Sky, the unfogged spectrum revealed these massive, beautiful absorption bands for water vapor. The oxygen was there all along. It was just hiding behind in the morning sandstorm, So the.
Speaker 2: Carbon oxygen ratio wasn't one point zero.
Speaker 3: No, it plummeted right back down to a totally normal baseline about point five. And the overall metallicity was only about five times that of Jupiter, not hundreds of times, so it's.
Speaker 2: Actually incredibly Jupiter like. It completely solved the formation theory crisis.
Speaker 3: Yep, the theorists all breathed a massive sigh of relief. The core accretion models didn't need to be rewritten. The planet formed exactly how we expect gas giants to form out beyond the water snow line in its stellar nursery, and then migrated inward.
Speaker 2: The error was entirely observational. We just couldn't see through the fog exactly. Fixing our understanding of this one specific planet is incredible. But this new technique, this ability to isolate the morning and evening to find clear skies on a cloudy planet, that has implications for the entire galaxy, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, this is just the beginning. These hot Jupiters like WSP ninety four AB, because of their extreme environments, they serve as these perfect cosmic laboratory.
Speaker 2: Because the forces are so exaggerated, it makes the physics easier to see exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a stress test for our atmospheric models. We can study the intense chemistry and the physics of cloud dynamics in real time.
Speaker 2: In WSP ninety four AB wasn't just a one off fluke, right, The researchers actually expanded their roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They took the same asymmetric limb analysis, the morning versus evening technique, and applied it to eight other hot gas giants.
Speaker 2: And what did they find.
Speaker 3: They found this exact same distinctive cloud cycle on at least two other worlds right away, WASP thirty nine B and WASP P seventeen B.
Speaker 2: Wow. So it's a fundamental feature of these tidally locked giants, a cloudy morning and a clear evening.
Speaker 3: It seems to be ubiquitous, which gives the JWST teams incredible confidence as they plan their upcoming large scale observing programs.
Speaker 2: They're scaling up big time.
Speaker 3: Astronomers are moving way beyond just the hot jupiters. Now they are preparing to study cloud cycles across a huge variet of exoplanets. They're even looking at eccentric gas giants that have highly variable heating as they swing close to and far away from their stars.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're perfecting these tools. They're learning exactly how to read the weather, how to mathematically strip away the clouds on a molten gas chanel. Right, and this is the ultimate forward looking question. Is this the necessary stepping.
Speaker 3: Stone to earth like planets?
Speaker 2: Yes? Are we building the exact tools we need to eventually look through the clouds of a terrestrial rock planet in the habitable zone to find the exact chemicals signatures of life.
Speaker 3: Yes, categorically yes. Understanding cloud physics is the mandatory gateway to finding true biosignatures.
Speaker 2: Because if an earth like planet has a dense water cloud layer and we try to read it the way Hubble read the hot jupiters.
Speaker 3: We'd get a completely false reading. A thick cloud layer on a rocky world could easily mask the upsten or methane we're looking for, or worse, the light scattering off the clouds could mimic a gas that isn't even there, giving us a false positive for life.
Speaker 2: So if you can't subtract the clouds mathematically, you can't trust the biological signature.
Speaker 3: Exactly the work we're doing right now in these violent extreme gas giants is building the robust mathematical architecture we absolutely need for the future.
Speaker 2: We are learning how to see through the fog so that when we finally stare at an Earth twin, we actually know what we're looking at.
Speaker 3: That's the ultimate goal.
Speaker 2: It's incredible journey just to recap where we've been today. We started with a frustrating twenty year astronomical roadblock, this foggy diner window that forced us into using corrupted, squished data that threatened to break our entire understanding of planet formation.
Speaker 3: All because of high altitude aerosols right.
Speaker 2: But then through the sheer ingenuity of astronomers using the Jans Web space telescope, we figured out how to slice the transit into.
Speaker 3: Pieces, isolating the morning from the evening.
Speaker 2: Finding completely localized vaporizing sandstorms, realizing that the violent weather was leaving the evening sky clear.
Speaker 3: And then using that clear sky to finally put the carbon ratio mystery to rest.
Speaker 2: It's an absolute triumph of observational physics. So as we wrap up today, I want to leave you with a final thought to Maul over.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love these.
Speaker 2: Next time you walk outside at night and you look up at a star in the sky, to your eye, it just looks like a seemingly static, twinkling point of light. It's peaceful, it's quiet, but it's not. No realize that that point of light is just a canvas. Around it are worlds with their own millions of localized morning sunrises and evening sunsets. Worlds being swept by towering storms of vaporized rock and violent plunging winds.
Speaker 3: A dynamic, churning universe of extreme weather
Speaker 2: Systems, exactly a universe of weather that we are only just beginning to comprehend.