Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Game This morning is with me Jeff Grub, your host from Giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're going to be talking about that next next God of War game, and we'll wrap up the week with the Bomb twelve. But first it's gonna be a good one because we have Sean Turbo Sean McDowell on the show.
Speaker 2: Sean, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Where's Zeno? Blade four?
Speaker 2: Where are my wife? Woods?
Speaker 1: Great work all around, great work by Mike, but even better work by Sean.
Speaker 2: That's good at it.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I put out Mike's Metro Prime four rant on our socials and YouTube shorts, so check it out after this if you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: It's Mike's new character that he's playing. The name of the character is Mike Manati, and he just it's like, what's that one guy, the big guy that kind of like flailed around and screamed about and he was like pretending to be.
Speaker 2: An whatever the way he's doing one of those Mike Manati.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, he should just do that one of those a week. We got to keep prodding them. I don't think you could, like if you asked him to fake it. I don't think we could get him to do so, so we'll have to get him shoot hot.
Speaker 2: Sean.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, well, look, I know ways to do that. I don't Mike's I don't know if Mike's watching right now.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 4: Look, we don't need to stay on Metro Prime four for too long. Jeff, you know the one that broke me, the one that really got me. Oh no, what someone saying Metroy Prime four is so ugly. It looks like a switch one game. My dude, what happening? It is a switch on one game.
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 3: People are losing their minds, Jeff.
Speaker 2: It's bad out there. It's bad out there. This is it's the worst.
Speaker 1: It does get worse with games that have been in development for an extra long time, so people have had a long time to think about it. And when it takes that much time, like, well, it should be the best thing that has ever happened by the time it comes out.
Speaker 2: And we just haven't played this game.
Speaker 1: And the people who have said nothing but good thanks, Sean, there's been good words about from the people who have actually gotten your hands on this thing.
Speaker 4: We're in that weird cross Shend period two where people were the same way. I remember this about a game that came on both PS four and PS five, where they would say, it looks so ugly on PS five, it looks like a PS four game, just because it is a PS four game. You know, just magically hit four K dot exx and suddenly it's it's like you're not running it on a much lower end system like you know, for example, an Xbox three sixty squeezed down into a tablet. Now I'm getting Mike about it. Get we gotta move on.
Speaker 2: I can't help them stay on it for another second.
Speaker 1: Think about Metric Prime is and like maybe a lot of these Metroy venues, if they're so atmospheric that you probably can't get the real sensation of what it feels like it feels like to look at until you play it yourself. I mean that did happen with me with Silk Song, a two D metroc Venia game.
Speaker 2: You can go look at those trailers, but I know what this looks like.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, you need all the other elements to make make the visuals pop. And that's also been true of Metroid, a very atmospheric game that relies on its audio design to sort of complete the visual stuff. I'm just I guess we've been around. We've been doing this a long enough time with these games to know. Might go back to my My central point here is there are a lot of people who have not played the Metroid Prime games before who are commenting on this game, and it should be illegal about it.
Speaker 4: We can't love Yeah, just you know, I would rather a company focus on making the core of the gameplay good and not on a secondary thing that you're not gonna spend a ton of time and hopefully.
Speaker 1: And it's it's retro. I know, like there's probably been a lot of turnover, but they do. There's a lot of good artists in Texas working on video games. I bet they hired some good ones and I bet we're gonna get some real awesome shit to look at in that game. We'll see, we'll see in December. We should explain ourselves for Giant Bomb a bunch of a bunch of dupases who make video game content independently on the Internet, which is why we need your help. Go to giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member. You could support independent games media. Get yourself some ad free versions of our shows. That's like ad free versions of a lot of content. That's you know, you're gonna get a lot of bonuses there in turn, and then you also get some extra goodies. They just recorded another extra bonus voicemail, which Sean puts into its own feed. You can find that if you're a premium member, listen to that, get even more nonsense from the crew that records those episodes. And then we also have to do our town halls. We get some other things in the works. Just you know, I know you want to support us. I know you really like this, and you know, if you can't do it because it's like money's tight or whatever, I get that. You know, tell a friend, let them know that we're out here doing this thing independently and we could use the support. As far as this show goes. Most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart.
Speaker 2: If you were watching live on.
Speaker 1: Twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Let's actually start with this super chat from one freeman Sean love though og Red and Blue looking to get back into Pokemon video games for the first time ever Rex for an old timer finished one hundred and fifty one master set.
Speaker 4: If you played Red and Blue back in the day, hey, playing Pokemon Let's go on the Switch is a good way to revisit the first generation and Pokemon. It's just a very well made game. Otherwise, the other Switch games are totally chill, like. You can play Soor and Shield or scarletand Violet if you have a Switch too. I would not recommend Scarland Violet on Switch one, and they have lots of quality a life things to get you on there. My personal favorites in the series are Black and White and Sun and Moon, but those are kind of harder to get by nowadays. So yeah, the Switch games are good. I do recommend them. I'm watching Jeff, I'm sorry not to spend too long this. I've been waking up early in the morning because over on my Life in Gaming, Corey on his Twitch channel has been doing Pokemon Violet as his first ever Pokemon game. Oh really wow, And it's been really interesting watching someone who's not really like because you know, my life in gaming, they don't really get involved in people yelling about video games on the internet. It is kind of refreshing to see someone just play something like this for the first time and say, yeah, this game looks like but but hey, that gameplay loop that people have been talking about for thirty years, this is pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I guess I could see because those are guys who are their old school gamers.
Speaker 2: They've been doing it for a long time.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was so excited about Nintendo stuff that when Red and Blue came out, so I gotta at least try this.
Speaker 2: So that's the Pokemon game I played.
Speaker 1: But I could easily see a guy in my position, like those guys were skipping that until now.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's interesting. Well I might check that out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into this first headline here. The next God of War game to possibly feature Egyptian setting. We'll go over like exactly what is being extrapolated from here here Sean, although I do think this is still probably right. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor. We're coming up to, or we're coming up on three years since the launch of God of War Ragnarok this year. It feels a lot longer than that, but I guess it's three years. And while we've heard tell of a God of War metro Advena arriving sometime soon, that's next year. The next Staple entry in the series is apparently also in the works, with Crados ditching his cold Norse surroundings for a warmer climate. That's if Insider Games Tom Henderson.
Speaker 2: Is to be believed.
Speaker 1: On the latest episode of the Insider Gaming podcast, Henderson claims that in the next major God of War release, we'll see Crados return with an Egyptian sword in hand. This heavily implies Crados will be facing enough against Anubis. Thought raw, and I don't know if that's how I said that, thought, yeah, yeah, you're good, okay, and the like in his next God of War outing. Okay, So it does sound like they are saying, Hey, the sword looks like an Egyptian sword, therefore all this other stuff is true.
Speaker 2: Now, that is compelling enough for me.
Speaker 1: Sean, I'm pretty convinced just by that tiniest piece of evidence. Also, I think we heard in the past Corey Barlog say, hey, Egyptian said he would be cool. And then and then if we were like to go into a room and we were put in charge of where they should go next with credos to fight some more gods, I kind of I mean, if we would get cute, I'm sure we'd be like, oh, there's some other cultures where it'd be even cooler to go fight their gods.
Speaker 2: But I think the.
Speaker 1: Safe one, the smart one, the coolest one probably still is Egyptian settings. So in terms of circumstantial evidence and sort of just oh it feels right, I'm buying into this.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it sounds right to me.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Tom is saying that he saw something about this, or if he's just being coy and he's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: He think he's saying he saw some image with a curved sword. I think is how it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, I see Gosha gotcha either way.
Speaker 4: They also I forget exactly what I think even in the First God of War you know, twenty eighteen, the reboot series or whatever, they referred to Egyptian mythology. I think it was like in that scene where you're writing an elevator up and they're talking for a bit and there's it's on the walls or something. I believe that's what it was. But they familiar, They've hinted that that would be like the next place that they go after they wrap this portion of the story up. That sounds right to me. And yeah, you know, Egyptian mythology is really cool. They got some cool stuff to play with there. And all my Yu gi oh fans in the audience know what I'm talking about there where they got some cool stuff to work with. You Egyptian god cars Chef, we have a lot to teach you. We have a lot to teach you. All right, I'm ready to.
Speaker 3: Learn, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Jan I think that would be a cool setting too, going to Egypt and seeing what that looks like for them. I want to see what they would do with it, because Egypt is a setting that can be done in an either very interesting way or just it's interpreted as sand a lot of sand and desert, like, well, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna have a very prime four problem. Where are my wife foods?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's the right way of doing it, the wrong way to do it, and I just have Look, I have such faith in the teams that have been working on these games that I want to see what that would look.
Speaker 3: Like from them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same they they have seem to have a real grasp on what they're doing. Okay, if they didn't do Egypt, where would you want them to go. I don't even know, Like I look like a chat throughout Aztec and I'm like, oh, that that would.
Speaker 3: Be that could be interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah and that yeah, yeah, pretty different setting from uh more like the European stuff.
Speaker 3: That would be interesting.
Speaker 1: I would want them to fight in North America. The Mormon gods go there and take on I can't remember the name of any but like go to Jackson, Missouri with Kredos and just take on that whole pantheon. That would be a good time, actually, North America for Native American Like eventually, I hope they'd get there. I don't think they ever would because it just feels like out of place for Credos, but I would enjoy that either way. Yeah, people are pointing out the curve to curves or probably a scimitar. Actually it is the word we're looking for there, And yeah, I mean you could just I think you close your eyes, you picture Credos fighting a Nubis like that just looks right, Honestly, I'm like, I wouldn't suppresed he's fought a Nubis in like the original three games for some reason at some point. But yeah, like, well, we'll probably get some of that in this next game. In the meantime that that Metroid Vana, the two point five D one that is going back to the it's the Greek setting, right that is sounds like it's still coming out next year.
Speaker 3: A Cordon said that, like I would know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, I'm like what the original games were in the Greek mythology, I always kind of mix it up with so I was like, it's.
Speaker 2: Greek though, it's Greek, okay.
Speaker 1: Yug Horri comments on why they settled on Dragon Quest seven remake. First, this is for my Nintendo News. The Dragon Quest producer Eugi horr Is commented on why they chose to remake Dragon Quest seven before the other beloved entries in the RPG series such as four, five, and six. Horry says that it was simply a matter of chance that they settled on seven first. Horri also said that Dragon Quest seven Reimagined is progressing very smoothly and that a lot of progress has been made on the game thus far. A lot of things are moving around, but it was just done first by chance. As I said, just now, we want to make them playable on ongoing platforms. They got the interviewer here, nas Chris says, does that mean seven is simply progressing smoothly? And then yeah, he just confirms that, but it's not. I mean, I don't know what he means by chance. I was like, I put the story in here because it's like, okay, yeah, we're gonna get some clarification. It's like, no, I still don't feel like I understand why you guys went in this direction. Now when I look at the game, the sense I get is they want to make sure, like I think it's this on, we want to make sure these games work on ongoing platforms, and that means eventually they're going to do all of them, right, That's what it sounds like to me. I think all of these Japanese publishers are looking at Capcom as a playbook, and I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with it at all. That's the move.
Speaker 1: If you're in that position, though, you might have to think about it a little strategically, and maybe you do start with like the lowest hanging fruit, or not the lowest hanging but the one that needs the most work, so that when you get to Dragon Quest seven, people aren't like, oh, that's disappointing. We got all these awesome ones remade, now we're gonna go to the one that don't love quite as much. It's like, well, let's show what we can do with seven first, and then they'll be even more excited when we go back to these ones that are more beloved.
Speaker 2: That's what it sounds like to me. Does that sound right to you?
Speaker 3: That sounds right to me as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, at first glance, you see this headline and you're like, so they rolled to die.
Speaker 3: To figure out whichelonway you mean?
Speaker 4: But yeah, I do think it's that of they probably have plans or some concept for each of these games a remake. Studios do that all the time. They just throw stuff at the wall. They you know, whiteboard stuff. They just past stuff out there, start planning things, they get into early stages of development. So many studios have so many projects that we'll just never know about because it didn't get further than someone like having an art board that they started making stuff for. And I think this is just, Hey, whatever we wanted to do for each of these older Dragon Quest games, seven is the one that we had ideas for the most, and so it's the one that we're progressing with first. And it also, yeah, like you said, does make sense to do the one that needs the most love first, because we talked about this recently with the Resident Evil games, where even the ones that are seen as lesser in the series, like five and six, are still playable, are still you know, even if they have their issues, you can still fire those up, and it's a relatively modern gaming experience. But something like Code Ronka is or need more attention because they are so rough and technologically, you know, not as advanced. So I think it's a similar situation here where people I'm not huge into Dragon Quest, but I know a lot of people who are, and they all say that Yeah, seven is the one that I just could not get into. It's a very rough game. It clearly had some issues with development or just they tried too many things. And so I think it's cool that this is the one that they are putting their attention to and saying, what's the term they use, It's going to be pacier or whatever, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, got a word, but okay, we'll take It'll mean we know.
Speaker 4: What they mean. Yeah, So I think it sounds good all around. Glad to see them doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, chats like offering a lot of other stuff here. Dragon Quest seven is ready first because four or five, six apparently are a trilogy that all go together. So it's like, oh, that might require even more work. That's an interesting point. I buy a seven more standalone. Another person pointing out Merlin and Chat seven was the second highest selling PS one game in Japan, so I don't think it's correct to say it's less beloved.
Speaker 4: The Japanese sales do not necessarily reply to how the rest of the world is about the game.
Speaker 1: Yah, and that like you got to think about the history and the context of that release, right that was. Dragon Quest seven came out several years after six and six was a super Nintendo game. This was a PlayStation one game, like a couple of years after Final Fantasy seven happened. I think it was also after Final Fantasy eight. Dragon Quest was already Dragon Warrior was already beloved in Japan, or we call it a Dragon Warrior, they're a dragon Quest.
Speaker 2: Dragon Quest was already super beloved.
Speaker 1: In Japan, so there was a huge amount of anticipation on top of Final Fantasy seven taking over the world. So grpgs were at their zenith. That game was always going to sell very well.
Speaker 2: It was at the time.
Speaker 1: I think people the response to it afterward was like, oh, it's you know, it kind of drawn out.
Speaker 2: It's not exactly what I was looking for.
Speaker 1: At the same time, I think people are like ready for this game to sort of go in and find all the best stuff of dragon Quest seven and put it forward.
Speaker 2: And again, I just think it looks so cool. It's got a really sharpen to it.
Speaker 1: Borderlands four patch aims to improve performance on PC.
Speaker 2: This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor.
Speaker 1: Gearbox has already started work on improving the performance of Borderlands four, I should hope, so following its conflicting launch where many reported port technical stability, all despite strong debut sales. Following the recent promise to continuously improve and enhance the game, now with patch has been released that should improve stability on PC and squash a few bugs at the same time. As per what the September eighteen patch fixes. The full notes are stability, gameplay and loot improvements. Stabilities addressed crashes tied to animation states, audio and collision checks addressed various GPU related crashes. Gameplay progression. There's a bunch of improvements there, and then looten items updated, lootpools so gilded Glory pack guns no longer appear in standard chests. You know, it doesn't sound like a lot of performance improvements quite yet, but stability, fixing crashes obviously, that probably is the number one priority. You want people to be able to play uninterrupted, even if they have to turn down their settings or whatever to get a decent frame rate.
Speaker 2: And this is just the PC version.
Speaker 1: I don't think we've heard about an update or a patch for the PS to five version, which apparently has a bad memory leak where the longer you run, the worst performance gets.
Speaker 2: I know, I call it a memory leak.
Speaker 1: I'm not a professional and I don't know what I'm talking about, So when I say that, that's the colloquial term that we use.
Speaker 3: Also, I think, really, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't know if that is or isn't it, So that's what we're assuming it is based online.
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing that we say when this thing happens in a game where the longer it runs it performs worse. But either way it's something they have to address.
Speaker 2: Right. So Borderlands four it does.
Speaker 1: Feel like it probably is in that sweet spot where it can push through a lot of these issues with enough, you know, more frequent updates, as long as the support feels like it's there. I think people who show up for Borderlands game are like ready to put up with that.
Speaker 2: Is that the sense you get?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Yeah, I would say in general, because Borderlands is absolutely a game series that broke through to the mainstream in a huge way. Tons of people I know who you know, dropped out off of gaming high school, college or whatever. They you know, people my age just the right age to have played like Borderlands and Borlands two around that time. And so to them, they still have fond memories of it, and so the Borderlands name does still hold that name recognition, that cachet with an audience like that, So I think Borderlands four could still appeal to them on whatever platform they may have, you know, PS fives or something really well, so it definitely seems like a game that they would love to get on that system. And I think a more casual audience is more accepting to performance issues, the kind of thing where we're going to eyeball that and we can see a low frame right right away, because it's all we do is play video games and analyze this stuff and everything, spend money on hardware, yeah, and spend my on hardware that we expect to perform a certain way. That's the problem with the PC version. But I think that broadly speaking, that audience is going to be more accepting of the waste performing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Granted we are specifically talking about the PC version here, and that is the difference here, and one that maybe you Randy didn't really realize when he was talking about this. You can't tell the PC audience you don't know what you're talking about, because hey, if any consumer was going to know what we're talking about. It's the PC audience that literally made the machine that we are using to run the game. We know what this class of hardware is supposed to do, how supposed to perform where crashes could or could not occur even and if we're feeling like this game should not be doing things in this way, it just feels bad when it does, and people are being told you're wrong about this thing. So I I really hope that they continue to increase performance as well across all platforms in addition the fixing these crashes.
Speaker 2: And you're not even like close to overstating that.
Speaker 1: Like when you look at like the Nintendo community or the Nintendo content creator scene, right, it's a bunch of people talking about games, talking about Nintendo, like their strategy, what they're doing. Like the top ten most popular PC gaming content creators like on YouTube are all dudes who do like overclocking videos and performance test and that's their entire thing is we have refined the science of meticulously testing every piece of hardware. We built our custom way of testing this PSU, this power supply unit. They're lunatics and they have millions of views because even the casual PC players are like, this is like my hobby, this is my tinkering with a car during the summer, or like even they bought a pre built PC, they know the parts that are in their system because they picked them from a dropdown menu, and they.
Speaker 2: Still want to feel really good about it, so they go.
Speaker 1: Watch these videos and so it's kind of a feedback loop of I'm in that scene to get the best performance. I spent my real money on there, and I expect to see frame rate per dollar on the screen, and you're right, And he just seems a little unaware of like the way that PC gamers are feeling these days about that.
Speaker 4: Sort of thing, right, Yeah, because even like you know, in our circle, Mike is kind of that person you talked about where like he's not as technically inclined as say you or me, but he spent good money on a good PC, so I would you know, run games in a certain way for work and when it's not performing in the way it should, you know, he kind of turns out and say he's like, is this right, and we're like, no, it's not. It definitely is not. And yeah, with the big channels, you know, love them or hate them, even channels like Lions type tips for example, is making stuff like PC gaming a little more accessible to the mainstream, and as we get more people in there. Yeah, like you said, this audience is growing. I mean, if you look at PC as a whole, it's bigger than console gaming. But you know, with the record audience, especially in the West, Yeah, console is probably still seen as the bigger thing. By the numbers. It might be still the bigger thing I assume, so at least. Yeah, they just need to work on both these versions though, because it's got issues all across the board, and the overspecking of this version, like going beyond your scope for something that still doesn't look radically better than you know, well, I guess border Lands three, but even border Lance two, with like better resolution stuff, it doesn't look miles beyond that.
Speaker 1: Yep, we are those diminishing returns have hit hard over the last ten years, for sure. We are about a decade of it too, of like really serious obvious diminishing returns where you kind of have to do side by side and zoom in to see a.
Speaker 2: Lot of differences in video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even Dan, like who is even less inclined than Mike, he like we keep talking about maybe getting new CPUs, and every time we talked.
Speaker 2: About he's like, am I gonna have to install myself? What's happening? Like petrified?
Speaker 1: Even he's still drivers, even he knows like what GPU he has and like kind of like what it should do and what it's capable of. So it's like kind of across the board. If you spend money on a GPU, you know, you have some idea. And that's just about everybody in the PC gaming space. Even if you put like a gaming laptop, they kind of.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, you know, because again it's those channels that are telling people, hey, this is what you can expect out of like this. They just know the number, and it's easy when you have like forty seventy or like fifty eighty, it's easy to remember that number and they know what to expect out of that. But just real quick, I think dead on about diminishing returns as well, and again not to relitigate, but something like a Metroid Prime for that we're talking about earlier. Does a game really need to look better than that? I personally don't think. So that's why I still love Nintendo games is yes, it looks less technically advanced, but if they're hitting target frame rates and it's fun to play, that's why I care about right now. And with PC gaming, the reason I like is that I can choose what to sacrifice to get to look a certain way. And if I can't sacrifice enough to get it to perform the way it should on my machine, that's when you have a bad PC port. And that's why door lance for is seen as such a you know, just mishandling of the situation the.
Speaker 3: PC space right now. And yeah, they got to fix it, all right.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's we're going to take a break, I guess before we do, so, let's get this other one from to one free man a super chat.
Speaker 2: I want to play Sean's fave Pokemon games. Don't I need a DS.
Speaker 1: Like enter Grub, need rex ray dual screen handheld that can run fit Thanks guys, there was that.
Speaker 2: There was that new one.
Speaker 1: I've not gotten any of the dual screen ones, but there was a new one that I think retro Gamecore was really into. Let me let me see I could just find it. It was the one I was watching watching his videos on those are first of all, Yeah, the I in Neo pocket DS does it Chunky Boy right there.
Speaker 2: J I think it's also kind of expensive. Also idiot.
Speaker 1: Doing any sort of dual screen set up on any of these devices, especially the I in EO, which give you a lot of control.
Speaker 2: I think they all well.
Speaker 1: They don't all run Windows. They have Android stuff. I think I think that well, the Pocket series has been Android. I don't know enough about this one. I'll say across the board. It's a little bit of a hassle. And if you really want to do the DS three DS games, I think your best move probably is just to get a three DS. A new three DSXL.
Speaker 4: Two DSXL is are cheaper than the three DS, and that's a good way to get in there. And like, if you don't want specific stuff, it's a good way to do three DS games, DS games and even older games. Then you know, check out three DS dot has dot guide. For no particular reason.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, you should. Everyone should. It's so good. It's the way to live. Everybody. Uh but we like we're not even like joke. That's the recommendation.
Speaker 1: There, go get a two DS, or even if you want to save a little bit more money, you can get a DSIXL or something like that to just play those games. All right, let's take that break. We're gonna hear from our sponsor. You can skip out on these by going to giant bomb dot com slash join, becoming a premium member, and free versions of the show.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Coming to you live from Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: It's the Character Issues Podcast.
Speaker 5: The Character Issues Podcast is a podcast where we are making the definitive scientific list of the greatest video game characters of all time. Every episode I am joined by host Leah Heydoo.
Speaker 2: It's me Hi Hello, Hill Hello.
Speaker 5: And Rich Davison Hello from across the Pond, as we discuss rank and basically give you the definitive guide of who are the greatest video game characters of all time. We currently have over seventy episodes out and I know what you're thinking. I don't want to go back and listen to all of those episodes. So here's a few facts to catch you up on any in joke lore so you can jump in right now.
Speaker 6: We have an unhealthy relationship with the character from Seulkualaba.
Speaker 2: Rich really hates the Scandinavians.
Speaker 5: The most important spot is the number sixty nine spot.
Speaker 2: Every twenty three episodes, we have a rerank of Palooza.
Speaker 6: The second number one important spot is again not the top spot, it's the bottom spot, which is perennially going to be chadlea from Found FUS seven Remake and Rebase.
Speaker 7: I'm so funny, Like, seriously, guys, you don't even know.
Speaker 5: So if after hearing all of those wonderful facts about our podcast, you're still interested, you can go to any of your podcast services and search for the Character Issues Podcasts and it will be there. You can also follow us on Blue Sky at the Character Issues podcast or send us an email at Character Issues Podcasts at gmail dot com. Thank you everybody for listening, and thank you Giant Bomb for allowing us to advertise on your wonderful podcast about video games. We look forward to talking to all of you soon.
Speaker 2: We are back.
Speaker 1: It's Game Mass Morning's Jeff Grubb, Turbo Sean. Let's continue with the headline. Sonic Racing Cross World's Final DLC Racer is another classic video game character. This is from Chris Calling of VGC, although I found out about it from a freaking out Mike Manatti.
Speaker 2: So what could it be? It's Matt, I wonder it's the Baca Man. Let's get through here.
Speaker 1: The game is out September twenty fifth, and, as often happens, less than a week before a game's.
Speaker 2: Release, some physical copies have already.
Speaker 1: Found their way into players hands. One player Reddit user wrong minute one three one nine posted a photo on the Sonic the Hedgehog reddit page which appears to show a flyer inside the physical PS five version of the game, revealing all the games DLC packs. As the time of writing, Sega's only confirmed that the game's Season pass will include Minecraft content in October, SpongeBob SquarePants in November, followed by Pac Man, Avatar Legends, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem. However, the included flyer with the game appears to confirm that Capcom's Mega Man is the sixth and final DLC pack set to be included in the season past. Following the posting of this image, Sonic news site The Sonic Stadium also posted their own video of the physical version's box being opened and the flyer being found inside. So there's there's two sources we can kind of we could say this is real. Hey, I think that is That's fun. I think that they have struck an interesting balance of DLC.
Speaker 2: Guest characters for this KRT Racer. It's it's not like perfect.
Speaker 1: I think I definitely want them to be more like focused on all the Sega history stuff.
Speaker 2: But that's me personally.
Speaker 1: I know that partnerships are gonna happen and so we're gonna get stuff like this, and if that's the case, I look, I think SpongeBob is really fun. And you know, I'm not personally, I haven't watched a ton of of Avatar show, but I know people love that.
Speaker 2: I think those are cool.
Speaker 1: And then as long as we also get something like Mega Man, and then it all kind of like coalesces. For me, it kind of feels like, Okay, we're getting some fun stuff for the kids, some fun stuff for the old men. I feel like they have delivered a pretty decent set of DLC bonuses here. How do you feel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I feel same.
Speaker 4: Like, Look, I'm a big Mega Man fan too, So I saw this, I thought, oh, that's really cool, and it's awesome that, you know, like Mike was pointing out when you guys talked about this, Hey, it's kind of interesting that Mega Man, Pac Man and Sonic are all getting back together and they're leaving Parrio out of it this time.
Speaker 3: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 4: I do like that when you see someone like this, the crossovers happening, it's clear that there's deals happening, because that's why we have three different Nickelodeon characters or groups of characters in here as well. They must have went for one of them, and the negotiating negotiations panned out of Hey, do you guys maybe want to work something deeper out and we'll give you even more characters. And I think it's the right audience, the Sonic audience, which is going to be kids and younger adults generally speaking, and the Mike and Eyes of the world who holed onto the nineties. It's definitely going to be people who grew up with SpongeBob and Yeah Avatar and stuff like that. So I think it's very smart to have that combination of care. Then you know, Minecraft Steve in there as well, and then yeah, well we'll slowly get some Sega characters too, just because it's so much easier for them to do as well. We already got Joker in there, Hots name Meek. You technically kind of a Sega character because they do like all of her games, or at least most of them know they do the rhythm games. So yeah, a lot of this is making sense, and I do think they're striking that right balance. And it's awesome to see Mega Man in here as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I was pretty happy to see this game really reviewing. Well. I think it's going to be like a long term hit for them.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be one that they could probably sell this game this whole generation and kids will keep coming to it.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Glad to see other kart racers still hot happening in this space.
Speaker 2: A lot of other genres.
Speaker 1: One game sort of dominates and everyone's like, well, let's not even try.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Sega's like, no, we can make this work still, and they've successfully done it multiple times now, so very cool to see. I mean, if this works, we probably may like I know, this is the promised YOU'LC for now, they could just keep adding characters going forward. I could see them doing that. I guess the game would have to reach a certain level of success to do that, but I can see this game really riding the wave of early switch to sales and then kind of being the game that just always is on a list of best games to get for families and young kids and stuff like that. And yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing them maybe supporting it even more so than they are already promising.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and DLC has planned years in advance. Harad has talked about that in regards to Tech and it's just true with all games where you need to plan this stuff out. So I won't be surprised if they have a minimum of two seasons planned out. And like season two is in development right now. You know season one already done and ready to be put in the game when the time comes. Now they're working on season two. And then Yeah, if this game is super successful, why not keep adding more characters, more stages from other worlds Because I don't think I don't think there's no because Steve, I think, had a Minecraft track that they showed off, Pari mar they've shown so far, because like Joker, I don't think like there's no Persona track as far as I know at least, But yeah, I can totally see them keep adding to this. And like I mentioned on the BombCast this week, when I did get to play it in the network test. I had a lot of fun with this game, and so I'm looking forward to the full release because I you know, I love Mario Kart, so in world not being what I was looking for. I really want to just have a fun kart racer player with my friends, and this is looking like it's the one for us this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just getting like out in like you know, early release through like a premium version.
Speaker 2: We should play this game at some point soon.
Speaker 4: Maybe it comes out next Thursday, at least I have on my calendar.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we will play it next week. Then that'll be a fun time.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see here, let's keep up with the headlines. Why do I not like actually include this the name of the game in the headline?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm look confusing.
Speaker 1: Skate Story is heading to switch to sometime this year. I just I just says heading to switch to sometime this year. This is from Go Nintendo, Devolver Digital and Sam Ing's Skate Story is launching on Nintendo switch to this year. And you could check out the game in action above and they have a trailer in Skatestore. You are a demon in the underworld made out of glass and pain.
Speaker 2: The devil has given you a skateboard, and now you you got listen, did I stutter? I might have?
Speaker 1: Actually still, the devil has given you a skateboard with a simple deal. Skate to the moon and swallow it and you shall be freed. And all of this is on the go on the switch to now. So Skatestore mostly included this just as confirmation that this game is still coming out this year for people that don't know what it is. There was a trailer for this game like at a I don't want to say, maybe a Game Awards a.
Speaker 2: Couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: It is a very stylistic take on on skate where like the cameras kind of panned down towards your skateboard more than it is at your character. And but it's all it all seems about just like skating forward, doing cool tricks and looking cool.
Speaker 2: And then it's super style.
Speaker 1: And I remember that early trailer being like, look, you are a skater made of glass and pain, and it's like, oh, okay, well I wonder what that means. But then you see more game plan, it's like no, I look at it. Yeah, that looks like glass and pain. It's got a real vibe to it, and I'm ready to see this game come out and another indie game coming out on switch To. I think also just like tying yourself to the switch to in any way, if you are one of these games, is it continues to be the right move for as much as there is some I don't want to quit. I don't think it's quite backlash. There is some backlash, But as much as there is like consternation about the switch to and prices and Nintendo and their moves and their lawyers and all this stuff, a lot of people are still buying the switch to and playing games on it, and they don't feel anything any of those things about the indie games. They'll show up for that. And Skate Story two or a Skate Story feels like it could be one of those games that could really benefit from again tying themselves to the switch to. How are you feeling about the indie scene on switch at the moment?
Speaker 4: And switch to, Jeff, My switch To is currently unplugged and sitting in the corner over there because it was a very bad little system. You know, it knows what it did. I'm a situation where I have a Steam deck. That's where I prefer a play games. I prefer a buy my indies there or on stuff like it or whatever. So for me, that's my indie machine. But in relation to the topic, I think that, yeah, any indie attaching themselves to switch to is a good idea because we saw I was switch one. People are looking for games on that system. You know, mine's unplugged because it didn't fit in my system very elegantly. I need to like get a new TV stand here, like the whole.
Speaker 1: The whole setup you have for like all your systems all together and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's because you know, I have a capture cartoon that I'm routing things through for streaming and capturing and stuff. It's just I don't quite have the space for it at the moment. So that's why it's over there. And because there's not exclusive that play right now, because that's what a switch. That's what Nintendo systems are to me nowadays as a PC player, it's the exclusives machine. Oh I'm going with Donkey Kong. So it's sending over there until I get that new TV stand or I need to.
Speaker 3: Plug it back in for work purposes. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was talking to you about my plan for getting.
Speaker 1: A third dock. So I have the two sees because I bought to it at launch. I was going to sell one. The kids will bothering me and like you can, you guys can have one whatever. I just won't get the money back on that. So we had two docks and that was handy. A dock upstairs and a dock down here. But I also have my computer and it's like, actually moving these docks is a little bit of a pain. I do have to like climb back behind some TVs and unplugs some stuff.
Speaker 2: I really dislike that.
Speaker 1: And there's times where it's like, hey, we're gonna let's stream some switch games. Go get there and saying okay, so I did. I was like, I'm gonna get a switch to dock, and I don't want to necessarily get an official one. I want one that's like it has a little more of a few more options. I want one that can handle the steam deck as well and can maybe capture video. I actually capture video locally on an SD card, and there was one out there that was capable of that. Now there's not a lot of Steam two docs to choose from to begin with, but there have been several of these that have gotten updates through firmware to Sport switch to and they do work as long as you have an official Nintendo switch to charging thing, which so I have buy another one of those, so that added to the cost. But I spent one hundred and twenty dollars I think maybe even one hundred and thirty on this AVerMedia.
Speaker 2: Let's see what is it.
Speaker 1: It's like the go like the yeah, the AVerMedia go, and it's it works, it does work. And then the handy thing here case it's got this little this little ravine down here, so you can plug this into the bottom which is where the video comes out, and then it sort of like nestles in there and then it snugs in there.
Speaker 2: Tight and it works out really well.
Speaker 1: It does function as a capture card and as a DOC, so I actually have it going into my other capture card in this PC. But if I needed to move this around or take it with me or move it somewhere else, I could still pop in an SD card and get full four K capture on this thing. And okay, it's working. It's handy I like it. I now I would not recommend this route to most people. There are equivalent ones that are even from like AVerMedia that don't have the capture stuff that I think you can get for around seventy to eighty dollars, and that's probably the move.
Speaker 2: But okay, very at least this one did work.
Speaker 1: So there are other options for docs besides what Nintendo's selling, which is too expensive for what that thing is.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking at on Amazon and I'm trying to like sus a couple different listings out, but looks like, Yeah, the one you're talking about, I think it's this one is Yeah, MSRPs for two hundred N's on sale for like one fifty ish. That's neat because yeah, if it does include the capture card stuff as well, the four K AVerMedia capture card that I have, I think it can go a higher end than that. Yeah, because this CAP's out of four K sixty. I think mine is four K one twenty was around the same price. And so the fact that you got a dock and a capture card all in one for switch and steam deck, that's really good.
Speaker 3: That's really good.
Speaker 1: Actually, let's pump the brakes there a little bit though, So the end for your HDMI capture is this USB C thing. The HDMI plug here on the bank is the out to the TV. Yeah, so like how would I connect this to? I guess I'd have to get an Hdmi converted to USB C to actually actually capture anything else other than a steam deck or a switch.
Speaker 4: Oh right, yeah, in order to do other systems. I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have a system, so like don't I would not buy this as your main capture card, is what I'm saying. Like, if you have a capture card, you need something specifically for the switch, this would be great. Or if you want to like go through the hassle of figuring out an adapter so you can plug it into other systems. But you're right, like this does have a bit more features. That is why I ended up spending a little bit more money on this one. And I'm happy with it. It does what I needed it.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Uh Next, Zelda Lego set rumor to be Ockering of Time diorama featuring Ganandorf.
Speaker 2: I it's got The rumor is it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be one thousand pieces, one thousand and three lego pieces, which would be I got I'm say, like fourteen cents per block for like one of these licensed ones. So I want to like, guess that's around one hundred and forty dollars. Is that would that be the map there? I yeah, I like the Zelda stuff, or I like the Nintendo stuff they've done. I'm wondering like what this could mean. Is it like a scene from Ockering of Time with gannandor for what like maybe he's on the horse or whatever and you can have like a little link like looking up at him or something like that from the beginning of the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my assumption is that it's a diorama of either a specific scene or just like a medley of scenes from the game.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, one thousand and three lego pieces. I think that's what.
Speaker 4: That's not a ton I don't do, right, Is that actually that's on the key dollars?
Speaker 2: Is that like a small set? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, like nothing, nothing that small. But I think you're right that this would be like well like maybe a two hundred dollars set or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, but yeah, I think it sounds very basic based on at least the way this is being described here in the story, I think, yeah, it's probably like a scene showing off things you remember from Okarin at a time, and it says featuring Gannendorf. Yeah, it's probably gonna be maybe the boss fight at the end of the game or something like that.
Speaker 1: That's behind the Lego Nintendo collaborations.
Speaker 2: I think they've mostly hit the mark.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I've been cool.
Speaker 4: I know what Dan has, like the more retro and Nintendo themed ones, and so you know, while we're at check those one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and forty six pieces for comparison.
Speaker 4: There you go, Okay, that checks out. Yeah that makes sense. So yeah, this is going to be smaller than maybe uh ye first impression.
Speaker 2: But they have a lot of those.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of like smaller Mario sets and smaller stuff like that that aren't don't get as many headlines as like the NS that is two six hundred pieces.
Speaker 4: Or whatever, right or the I know, the Pokemon one is the one that people are freaking out over because we like the third biggest ever something crazy like that, and it's yeah, it's gonna have like thousands of thousands of pieces, and people are expecting it to be like six hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 4: And I remember on VGC they were trying to figure out, like, what the hell is that thing gonna be? What could you possibly show with that many pieces? And they're speculating me it's like a town from Pokemon with a bunch of different like little scenes and stuff. But I think it's cute. I'm not much of a lego person, just because I don't know. It's kind of something you display and I don't know if my camera really shows off here. I don't have much room in here is to be kidding, I don't know what the hell I'm gonna put those damn things.
Speaker 2: So do you have an equivalent?
Speaker 1: Do you have like a like a piece together something hobby painting miniatures?
Speaker 2: I guess the card game stuff probably gets closed.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's probably the closest I get because other than that, well, building a PC every five years, right, Yeah, that's sequel in for me is definitely collecting whatever I want to collect in Pokemon from any given TCG says probably, and then don't I got my little plushy collection back there actually spruced that out recently.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's keep talking about we go back to Handheld's world's most powerful hand most powerful handheld the GPD Win five opens pre orders on September twenty fifth. This is from Oliver Stogden at steam deck HQ. If you have it yet, one of those is like, this is their social media college.
Speaker 2: You haven't follow us on Twitter if you haven't heard of the GPD Win five yet.
Speaker 1: In short, it's touted to be the most powerful handheld gaming console on the market, with its top model featuring a rise in AI max plus three ninety five APU. Yeah, paired with the Radiant eighty sixty s GPU, this thing will be a bit of a beast. Now, let's keep reading. GPD has just announced that the Indiego Go campaign for the device will start on September twenty fifth, with shipping estimates to commence in November twenty twenty five. The GPD Win five is an enthusiast level device through and through with a proprietary miny SSD compartment, additional accessories to the to doc the device, and more RAM than all of my hardware combined. Like, there's a skew of this that has one hundred and twenty eight gigabytes of RAM. That's bananas. This is definitely one for those of you who want a top of the line piece of tech. With that being said, there's some specifications here. I want to like try to find it. I've seen people say that this thing does not have an internal battery and you have to buy the external battery. So let's go through the dispecs real quick. There is the top of the line. One is a the three ninety five APU sixty four gigabytes of Wow.
Speaker 2: This is one of the top lines with sixty.
Speaker 1: Four gigabytes plus four terabytes of storage for two two hundred and sixty eight dollars. The Indiegogo price though is twe twenty dollars. But then they keep talking about the external battery for an extra one hundred and three and I don't know if that's additional battery or if that's the only battery that people keep making it sound that way, but I'm like trying to confirm that, and I'm I just don't don't see that. But people because they keep saying like by having this external battery they can have better internal like a cooling. I said, well, yeah, there's not a battery in there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's this is a strange piece of kit. But also it does feel like it is really throwing everything in there. And that pricing is uh. Oh we lost to Sean. That is, I'm sure he'll be back. He seemed like he was doing something and I wonder if that just broke everything for him. But we'll give him a second to come back, and I'll just vamp until then. The GPD company has been around for a while. They were oh, look at that, I'm ready on Oh and Mike, everyone just jumps in.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh you already were new Sewan. I was ready to be.
Speaker 1: Welcome, come to the new flesh. All right, Well, it looks like Sean's trying to get back either way. GPD has been doing this for a long time. They actually far predate the steam deck. They had years and years of handhelds and they were always about fifteen hundred dollars. They ranged from like eleven hundred up to two thousand. So this is like kind of still mostly in line with what they've done. Also, these things have gotten more expensive, so it's like this feels in line with what they've done. I'm surprised they're not trying to be more competitive with the pricing. It seems like they've made the alternative decision here to just go all in and put together the best piece of hardware they can possibly make and hope that that distinguishes them while Steam continues to have the low end of the market and the like the mass market. Jane, are you going to spend two thousand dollars on a GPD win five?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Greb.
Speaker 7: I was about to ask who is this specifically targeted for? If it's not for like that hyper ex I mean, I I scoff when I see the price tag, but they they're are audio files out there that are buying top of the line, not MP three, but like flack players out there that are almost the same in price when it comes to like in the two thousand range. But I can't imagine someone would want to spend that much on a like premium handheld experience.
Speaker 1: There are going to be some out there, like if you just really prefer handheld and you do have a lot of money, and you do on top of the line and you are like, oh man, I've loved my Steam Deck, or maybe I upgraded to the Asis rock ally X and that was significantly more powerful and I really appreciated that, but hey, it still struggles to play some of the most recent games at sixty frames per second. Sure, I'm getting thirty frames per second, but I want even like elden Ring at sixty frames per second. Well, this thing probably should be able to do that for a lot more games than the Steam Deck and the Roger could, And to some people that's going to be worth the price, because it does seem like we are still a little bit of way away from a steam Deck two or a real, actual, massive, significant upgrade. For what Asus and Lenovo have done, I think ada As has theirs. There are those things are are out there, and they are getting consistently updated and upgraded, but they are still mostly in the orbit of what the Steam Deck was. This thing seems like a generational leap, and the reason they're able to do that is this massive price. I do wonder though, it's like, what is this going to be a unicorn like an anomaly. We see them try this, try to stand out and it doesn't really work, and when we don't.
Speaker 2: Get another one, you know they're being kind of cautious with this.
Speaker 1: They're only going to produce six hundred of them at first for this Indiegogo campaign, and they'll be like, okay, once we have those ready to go, that will sort of fund the rest of development when it goes to retail. But I don't know, maybe maybe not everyone shows up for this, GREB.
Speaker 7: How far away do you think we are from like more bespoke custom handhelds, Cause I am one of those people that I do prefer playing my games handheld. I still continually will look at a PlayStation portal and tell myself I don't need it, even though I have a Steam deck and I can do use like cheockey or something to get that performance. But also some of these other handhelds that are out on the market that are not a Steam deck, not your switch to I just kind of don't like the design of them. And if I could just, I don't know, throw into like a computer or into like a Google form like, hey, I want like I want like a three DS style clamshell thing, and I want the analog sticks to be placed this.
Speaker 2: Way versus that way.
Speaker 7: How far away from that do you think we are?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So right now, Like the closest thing to that is there are several of these companies like Ian EO that basically has a new one every few I want to say weeks. Maybe it's every couple of months, but at times there have felt like every couple of weeks they have a different one that has a different combination of specs and a different form factor. They're the ones that were talked about earlier that had the dual screen one. So a company like that might get to a point where it's like, we've kind of like done a VERTI like every version we can think of.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should just build a tool.
Speaker 1: Where someone can do a like a PC part picker sort of anywhere. Here's the shell, here's the controller layout. Here, here are the specs, here's the memory configuration, all that stuff. It's probably possible here really soon, does it make sense for one of these companies, I don't know. I think an I and EO could stand out by offering that because there are going to be a lot of people are like, this is still PC gaming. I still want to control my experience. Although I think the real reason that these handhelds not the real reason one of the main reasons that these handhelds have succeeded, especially the Steam Deck, is it's standardized, and they because you can expect it to work one way. That means that when developers support it, they're supporting a huge number of people in the audience.
Speaker 2: When the community.
Speaker 1: Builds tools for it, they can build one tool and expect them the majority of people to just go use that tool on a Steam deck and it will work the same way every time, like you know the decky tools or the EMU deck, that sort of stuff where it's like, hey, that the reason that gets so much support is there's a lot of Steam decks out there.
Speaker 2: So even if we do get.
Speaker 1: This alternative where people can build their own own way of doing things, it'll be a very niche thing, and maybe one company does it. And even if that's something that's appealing to you, Jane, you might not find to like there's some trade offs here. I might still want to just go with the standard, the standardized thing that has worked for everybody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I say that, greb whor I would like certain specific things, and I'd be willing to compromise on on other things, Like I don't need it to be super beefy. I don't need to play elden Ring at sex sixty fps, but I do see that being a slippery slope of like, okay, well, I'll compromise on this for these sets of games, but I'm not realizing that it's also kind of kneecapped me further down the line when I wanted to check out other things.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, all right, yeah, I was just looking at this Wookie riot chat here. That GPD handheld could legit be a desktop replacement. The rise in three ninety five is a monster chip forty sixty slash seventy level of performance. I have a laptop with that chip, and the performance for.
Speaker 2: An APU is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the more the most exciting thing about this is we're starting to get handheld gaming devices using that really powerful new generation of AMD chips and that you know, in a couple of years, probably an equivalent of that chip, like the new scope down generation of it will probably be what's in a Steam deck, and that'll be exciting to see at that point when it's more cost effective. All right, last story here, Capcom will host an online special program at Tokyo Game Show. This is from Ben Lyons, a game reactor. I wanted to include this because of this first like little description here. Next Week is steadily becoming more and more of a behemoth. Already, several showcases have been announced in line with Tokyo Game Show, including for Xbox, Rio, Gat Gotoku, Studio, Konami, and Anna Pirna, with rumors scrolling that Sony also will have something in store.
Speaker 2: Now. Capcom is joining in on the fun.
Speaker 1: The Japanese publisher has revealed an online special program that will occur next week. The exact date and time for the show is set for September twenty fourth at fifteen hundred BST, and as for what it will deliver, expect looks.
Speaker 2: At many of Capcom's biggest upcoming games.
Speaker 1: That includes Pragmata, Mega Man, Star Force Legacy Collection, Street Fighter six Year three on a Musha Way of the Sword, Monster Hunter Wild's free title Update three, and Monster Hunter Stories three Twisted Reflection. Whereas Resident Evil Requiem. You might wonder there's no direct mid mention of that game that that game will be present, but a recent rumor suggested update of the game will happen next week and confirm the involvement of a beloved character. I bet that's at the state of play. Actually, yeah, man, maybe we have a lot of things to react to next week. I don't know how many of these we actually choose to do so, but it does feel like Tokyo Game Show is finally really starting to pick up some slack from the lost E three. Sure, Summer Game Fest has done a lot of it, and Opening Night Live and Gamescom has done a lot of it. I think we always were like, why doesn't Tokyo Game Show do more of it? Well, I think the answer to that is, well it is now, and I'm pretty excited about that.
Speaker 2: Sean, have you been listening? Have you been keeping up? But what?
Speaker 3: Also?
Speaker 2: Are you okay? Jeff?
Speaker 3: Find you switch off a Windows real bad?
Speaker 4: Oh no, so just real quick, I got an error message in Discord that I've never gone. Even though how Funnet was fine, Discord didn't want work, and then Windows when I tried to do a resear it was like, hey, we got like ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Of updates for you do.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, really shouldn't Productivity operating system because I need this from my job right now, But whatever, thanks for that.
Speaker 3: Funny going anywhere it's.
Speaker 2: Going, it's going good.
Speaker 1: We're talking about this Capcom show that they're promising for next week. We should probably set expectations for one of these special programs from Capcom. We talked over that last Capcom thing, and it was, you know what, these Capcom things often are just a bunch of updates and reminders of some games they have coming out. People probably shouldn't expect major new announcements. Even with this rumor that there's some cool stuff being t used for Resident Evil Requiem, I do think that'll happen at the State of Play instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never expect anything big from the Capcom presentations. It is almost always, like you said, just updates for stuff that has already been out.
Speaker 2: The video post. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, like people joke about some of these presentations could just be an email this Capcom's usually actually can and they maybe need to get a little bit better about that stuff. But if the options are being part of a big presentation like a State of Play, sure or a Ninto Direct, they'll take that and then this is just a catch up for everyone else. So yeah, yeah, I would say, don't get your hopes up. It's just going to be you know, extra footage, extra trailers, extended cuts, that kind of thing, unless they've explicitly said something else is can't be there.
Speaker 1: More people watched that last Nintendo direct than watch the Apple thing, you know, and everyone has a phone. It's like yeah you yes, it was like two point nine million to two point eight million. Dang yeah, so it's like being in a direct in a state of play. Those are also very much that they have very high viewership. That stuff is worth it. It's worth a lot of money. All right, we'll figure out how we're going to talk over any of these things. If there's a state of play, we'll definitely do that. I do want to see like what Konami has. Maybe we'll just do that for the hell of it. But there's a lot next week and then Tokyo game shows happening, so we'll cover it all on Game mess Mornings. That's going to do it for the headline, and that means it's time, not quite for the bomb twelve. First, we got to do the poll question from yesterday.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 1: I got the results right over here. Let's refresh it to make sure we have the most recent data.
Speaker 2: Oh it took a second. YouTube is just a very good website.
Speaker 1: Have you everything's breaking? Yes, I'll wait for this one to crash too. Have you spent money on user generated content? Yes, no, and I don't know maybe were your options. Twelve percent said yes they have, thirty percent said I don't know, maybe, and fifty nine percent said no, just flat out no, they know they have not done anything on UGC. I concluded that I don't know maybe because it's like a lot of stuff presents itself is like maybe a little bit more official in something like the Minecraft Store, but a lot of that stuff's just created by third party users, like building stuff professionally for the game, but as part of a a UGC program. This does feel like a growing part of the industry though. It's where all these major publishers, the ones that have the black they're all looking at this as the future of their business model because of stuff like roadblocks, So.
Speaker 2: Expect more of it for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, with that out of the way, I think what we should probably do now is say, Sean, where can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 2: What do you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm turbo Shan in all the places, sakay wn and of course doing stuff here at Giant Bomb, you know, like I mentioned, follow us on social media and check out our YouTube. Shorts because that's usually the stuff that I'm editing in the week outside of the podcast. Yeah, and I pop up on shows like this when Jeff needs me.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right, I think you know what, Let's do what we're gonna do on Giant Bomb real quick. There's a chance right after this I might I might just stream something. I feel like I want to start catching up some games on stream here on Giant Bomb, although I have a doctor's appointment at one thirty, so we'll see if I can actually.
Speaker 2: Make that work.
Speaker 1: But we will be back later today with upf where we are going to hang out and play some skate. We're just gonna go online place skate, go into that world, maybe build some some skate parks or whatever, just see what we can do. That will be at We do that at three pm. That's a right three pm Eastern, So come hang out with us. Then it'll be a good time, and then we'll be back next week with all that coverage we were talking about for pre tgs and all that stuff, as well as our normally scheduled programs.
Speaker 2: It'll be a good time.
Speaker 1: We appreciate everyone hanging out with us, but that means it is now officially time for the Bomb twelve. Everybody, Jeane, I saw you had some some issues with the layout. You're gonna be able to people gonna be able to see this, because if not, I can.
Speaker 2: Like go like gotty, go over each of the entries. All right, fantastic, There it is the Bomb twelve.
Speaker 1: These are the twelve games that really matter to people who are really playing games. We got the results of this, and here we are. The top three is unchanged. We'll get to that here in a second. But number twelve is in fact Skate. Number eleven is Schanobi Art of Vengeance. Number ten is Hell is Us number nine two x KO. A lot of people were playing that game. Number eight is Hell Diverse two. Number seven Medal Gear Solid five The Phantom Pain.
Speaker 3: What Maniacs Sway number seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I when I put out the call for the form of like, hey, submit your game, the first one the first response was Meddle Gear Solid five The Phantom Pain, And I was like, hey, I wonder if that'll actually end up on the list, being like.
Speaker 2: Of course it wouldn't. You can't ever do that because people will be like, I'm gonna get it on the fucking list you just watch.
Speaker 4: And must be really just doing really well to pay off all those people. Jeff, we need to reevaluate that. We got to see what we're doing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Number six Hollow Night, Number five Trails in the Sky, first Chapter. I bet that that feels like it could be even higher next week as people get around to it. Number four Donkey Kong Bonanza. And then, as I said, the top three unchanged from last week, Uma Musame pretty derby, number three, number two Borderlands for and number one Hollow Night Silk Song, which once again actually kind of blew everything else out of the water. Not quite as bad as last week, but I bet that one continues to remain a number one for quite some time. What was your game this week, Sean?
Speaker 3: What was I playing this week?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Soccer Awars two on the Retroy Pocket.
Speaker 2: Last that one, it just missed the top twelve.
Speaker 3: Justs ah, dang. It's yeah, I've been.
Speaker 4: I've been, you know, sort of just big chilling, just taking it easy until we get to October and November, where it's just getty constant releases I gotta keep up with. So I'm just taking it easy right now.
Speaker 2: Shout outs to Samo nis and chat.
Speaker 1: Who is just doing a humble brag here of first or one shotting the Bilewater boss. Good job, samone nice, that's impressive. Shit all right, Mike, one shot at the last the final boss of the game. Though, I think he would want me to say that, so I should put.
Speaker 2: That out for him.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, yep, I'm at My game is still hollow Night Silk Song. It will probably be something different next week. We'll talk about it then. For now, though, you want to have your say, I will put a new link out on my blue sky.
Speaker 2: We'll put it on the Giant Bomb Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: I will include it in a blog post on giant bomb dot com where we recap this week's Bomb twelve.
Speaker 2: You can find there's a line there at the bottom.
Speaker 1: I'll bowld it with a link to the form you can vote and we'll get the results next Friday.
Speaker 2: Until then, though, that was the Bomb twelve. All right, we should wrap this show up.
Speaker 1: Sean, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Jeff Grobb, did you read this last super chat here while we're still on the air on YouTube?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, why don't hit it for me?
Speaker 4: Yeah from bow Hey, Sean, any chance you could do more recovered? It's a retro Pocket Classic. The system looks awesome.
Speaker 3: I'd love the system to play PS one and under. I don't know if like a specific.
Speaker 4: Video would really fit with what we do around here, but tell you what, anytime that I am on the BombCast or whatever, I'll update y'all on how things are going with that. Yeah, you know what Retroy Pocket Classic. It is, just it is my recommendation if you want something, especially for PS one and under, but also you just want a small little system. I like that thing a lot, and I definitely recommend. I saw people in the discorder we're pinging me because they're like, well I get one now.
Speaker 3: That just sounded real good. It takes a lot.
Speaker 1: Me and Jan always talk about doing like a hardware show where it's like, let's just hang out and talk about the gizmos that we've been using the last couple of weeks. Maybe we can spend one of those up here and talk about it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Once again, Sean, thanks for hanging out with me and talking about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All the tech issues aside it was a fun time, Jeff, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always is.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.