Speaker 1: What if you could get paid to break things, I mean legally and ethically find hidden weaknesses in the digital armor of some really big tech companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it. Yeah, but it's a real thing.
Speaker 1: We're diving into, well, a pretty fascinating field today where curiosity meets critical thinking and you know, the payout can actually be quite impressive.
Speaker 2: It's true. We're talking about the world of web security and bug bounty hunting. It's a really crucial front line in protecting well, pretty much everything we do online now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so today we're doing a deep dive into bug bounty hunting for web security. Our mission really is to cut through the jargon, understand the core ideas, the clever techniques and the essential tools that let security pros find these vulnerabilities in web apps, right.
Speaker 2: And how they help prevent malicious attacks and yeah, sometimes even or in a nice bounty for doing it.
Speaker 1: And this deep dive it pulls insights from a pretty comprehensive guide, right, an experts view on the let's say, offensive side of bug hunting exactly.
Speaker 2: We're going to unpack how ethical hackers think, what specific weaknesses they target, and the frankly powerful tools they use in this constant sort of digital chess match.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into it then. So the big question first, why why would someone actually dedicate their time to hunting for bugs? What's the real pull?
Speaker 2: Well, there are a few pretty strong motivations actually. First, it just makes you a better security professional, plain and simple. If you understand how attackers operate, you get way better at defending.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, know your enemy kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing precisely. Second, there's well a huge element of recognition, you know, respect within the cybersecurity community. Finding a critical bug in a major platform that really builds your credibility fast.
Speaker 1: And the money you mentioned bounties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and of course the financial side can be significant. It's definitely not uncommon for top hunters to earn substantial sums for finding really high impact vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: That's a key point. It's not some niche hobby anymore. Big names like Google, Facebook, Twitter, they aren't just putting up with this, They're actively encouraging it with their own bug bounty programs.
Speaker 2: Right, It's become a standard practice. It's a win win really. They get their security strengthened and skilled people get rewarded for finding the flaws.
Speaker 1: What's really interesting, though, is the ethical angle. The guide is clear on this, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely crystal clear. You're learning these attacking techniques quote unquote specifically for defense. You're essentially becoming a white hat hacker or maybe a penetration tester to find those flaws before the h the actual bad guys do.
Speaker 1: So the knowledge is like a shield, not a weapon, for causing trouble.
Speaker 2: Exactly, never from malpractice.
Speaker 1: Which naturally brings up the legal side. There's a very bright line here. You just cannot cross.
Speaker 2: Cannot stress this enough. You must never ever attack systems without the owner's explicit permission. Seriously, this is an.
Speaker 1: Optional and the consequence if you do they can be severe.
Speaker 2: It's against the law in many places, and it could easily end a potential career before he even gets off the ground. Just don't do it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So for someone starting out thinking this sounds interesting, how do they get that permission? How do they stay legal?
Speaker 2: The advice is pretty straightforward. Register with established bug bounty platforms, you know places like bug crowd Hacker, one, Cobalt, there's even the Japan bug bounty program Anti hack.
Speaker 1: These platforms provide the framework.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they act as the intermediary, They provide the legal sandbox. The rules of engagement are clear, so you know you're operating within legitimate boundaries.
Speaker 1: Got it. But finding these exploits, it's not like just running a quick scan is it sounds like it takes some serious effort.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, there's a steep learning curve involved, no doubt. You need a pretty deep understanding of how web applications are built, the HGTP protocol itself, different encoding schemes, all the different types of attacks out there.
Speaker 1: So it's less about just knowing the it's much.
Speaker 2: More about understanding the underlying logic. You know how the web actually works and where those fundamental building blocks can be well twisted or subverted.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you had to boil it down, what is a bug bounty hunter? A simple definition?
Speaker 2: Sure, At its core, a bug bounty hunter is an ethical hacker who gets paid to find vulnerabilities in software and websites. Simple as that, really, but pretty powerful.
Speaker 1: That's a great summary. Now, Okay, someone's intrigued, they're thinking about trying this, But you can't just start poking around on say Google's live servers. Right, you need a safe space. Why is setting up a virtual lab so vital for beginners?
Speaker 2: It's absolutely crucial paramount even because it lets you practice using all these hacking tools legally and more importantly, safely on your own system.
Speaker 1: Like a digital sandbox exactly like that.
Speaker 2: Think of it as a controlled test chamber. If some malicious code gets loose, or maybe a tool doesn't behave as expected, it's all contained with in that simulated environment. It won't trash your main computer.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so it protects your actual machine.
Speaker 2: Right, it's your personal risk free playground. You can just experiment, try everything that comes into your head without worrying about breaking anything important or accidentally attacking someone else.
Speaker 1: Makes perfect sense, like a crash test dummy for your digital experiments. So what tools and setups do you recommend for building this virtual lab?
Speaker 2: For beginners? Virtual Box is usually the top recommendation. It's super versatile because it runs on pretty much any operating system Windows, Linux, Mac OS, so.
Speaker 1: It works wherever you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's compatibility and relative ease of use make it a really good starting point for setting up a security lab.
Speaker 1: And once you have virtual Box running, what os should you install inside it for this kind of work.
Speaker 2: Colie Linux is definitely the go to choice for most people starting in ethical hacking.
Speaker 1: Why Collie specifically because.
Speaker 2: It comes preloaded with just a massive suite of essential security tools, hundreds of them. It just streamlines the setup process incredibly. You basically get a hacker's toolkit ready to go right out of the virtual box.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's convenient. So we've got Collie running inside virtual box. What are the first few core tools someone would likely start using to actually hunt for vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll quickly become familiar with tools like burp suite and wasp bz ABP. These are what we call interception proxies.
Speaker 1: Interception proxies. How do they work?
Speaker 2: Imagine like a control tower for your web traffic. Every single piece of information your browser sends to a website or receives back passes through this tool.
Speaker 1: First, so you can see everything exactly.
Speaker 2: They capture all the traffic from the web application you're targeting, just less you inspect it, analyze it, even modify requests before they hit the server or responses before they reach your browser.
Speaker 1: Like being a man in the middle, but for ethical reasons.
Speaker 2: Precisely give you incredible control and visibility. But it's also really important to remember relying on just one tool that's usually a bad idea in this field. Why is that because no single tool catches everything. Different tools have different strengths, different ways of looking at things, So having a diverse toolkit is always always better for doing comprehensive testing. You'll miss things otherwise, right.
Speaker 1: So it's not about one magic bullet tool, but building an arsenal. And where do you practice with these tools if you can't just point them at live websites?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's where applications like webgoat come in. It's deliberately designed to be insecure, built to be broken pretty much. It's made by OAS, the Open Web Application Security Project, specifically for learning and testing common web app vulnerabilities. You run it locally, usually on your own machine, at an address like http dot localhost dot a zero a zero web.
Speaker 1: Gooat, and because it's local and designed for testing, you.
Speaker 2: Can experiment as much as you want, try all sorts of attacks without any legal risk whatsoever. It's the perfect training ground.
Speaker 1: Are there other Linux distributions besides Collie that ethical hackers sometimes use? Maybe for more specialized.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, Kalli is the most popular, but there are others. Black Arts, linuxes well a behemoth. It boasts something like over nineteen hundred tools pre installed.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then for users who want extreme security through isolation, there's quebsos. It compartmentalizes everything into separate, isolated virtual machines. Interesting, and you also have things like in pre doos which uses the anonymous IP network and hunix, which leverages the tour network for you know, enhance privacy and anonymity. Each has its niche.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered the why and the how to set up our ethical hacking playground. Now for the really juicy stuff, let's dive into some specific web vulnerabilities. Often ethical hackers start by looking for subtle tricks, right like cross site requests forgery or CSRF.
Speaker 2: What exactly is that CSRF? Yeah, often pronounced sea surf. It's an attack where a malicious request gets sent from a user's browser without them even knowing it or intending it.
Speaker 1: How does that work? How can my browser send something I didn't ask it to?
Speaker 2: Think of it like this? Your already logged into your bank, right your browser has a valid session cookie. The attacker tricks your browser into submitting another request to your bank, say to transfer money, leveraging that existing logged in session. Your browser just does what it's told, thinking the request is legitimate because.
Speaker 1: While you're logged in, so the users logged in, everything seems normal. How does the attacker actually trigger that unwanted request?
Speaker 2: They can create a seemingly harmless web page, maybe with just an image or a link on it. Hidden on that page is an HTML form. When your browser lows that page, maybe even just the hidden image pixel, some JavaScript in the background like document dot form zero dot submit, automatically submits that hit en form.
Speaker 1: And because my browser is already logged into the vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Site exactly, that malicious request often just sails right through the defenses because it includes your valid session cookies, the server thinks you sent it.
Speaker 1: Wow, So it's less about injecting bad code and more about tricking the browser into being an unwitting accomplice.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Bloids the trust between a user's browser and the site they're logged into.
Speaker 1: So how do developers stop this? What's the key defense against CSRF?
Speaker 2: The core defense is using CSRF tokens for every action the user takes that changes something like changing a password or sending money, the server should require a secret, unique, unpredictable token to be submitted along with the request, and this token proves it proves that the request really originated from the legitimate user interface on the site itself and not from some malicious third party page. Yeah, credit for is a request. If the token is missing or invalid, the server just rejects the action.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. Okay, Next up, cross site scripting XSS. This one feels like it's been around forever, but it's still a huge problem, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, EXSS is still incredibly common. It involves injecting malicious browser site scripts, usually it's JavaScript, into a web application.
Speaker 1: How does that injection happen?
Speaker 2: Typically it's because user input fields aren't properly sanitized or validated. Think about a comment section on a blog or a search bar. If I can type something like scriptrol create been hacked script into that field and.
Speaker 1: The website just displays it as raw HTML.
Speaker 2: Exactly, then every single user who views that page or maybe sees that search result will have my malicious script run in their browser within the context of the trusted website.
Speaker 1: So attackers are basically probing every place a user can type something in looking for a spot where raw HTML or jobscript might slip through.
Speaker 2: The cracks precisely. And the reason it's so hard to prevent entirely, especially on huge complex applications like say Google or Facebook, is just the sheer scale. You have thousands of developers, millions of lines of code ensuring every single input fuel everywhere perfectly strips out every potentially harmful tag or script. It's a monumental challenge.
Speaker 1: Just one little oversight can open a huge door.
Speaker 2: A massive door. That's why EXSS remains one of the most prevalent vulnerabilities found by bug hunters.
Speaker 1: So the core insight here isn't just about the script itself, is it. It's about how absolutely critical every single point of user input becomes. A tiny mistake can compromise potentially everyone using the site.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it. The impact can be widespread.
Speaker 1: How would a hacker approach finding EXSS in a safe test environment like one of those deliberately vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Apps, Well, using something like o WASP, Broken Web Application or BWPP. You'd start by systematically trying to inject simple jobscript snippets into various input fields. You know, like that basic alert Hello, this is reflected XSS.
Speaker 1: Payload, just to see if anything executes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to see if you get that pop up box. And tools like burp suite and o wasp ZAPPI are indispensable here. Zapip, for instance, is really helpful because it doesn't just flag potential vulnerabilities with those colored alerts red for high risk, orange for medium, yellow for low.
Speaker 1: It tells you how to fix it.
Speaker 2: Too often, yes, it'll suggest concrete solutions, like maybe adding the x frame options ny header to prevent certain types of attacks like clickjacking, which is related.
Speaker 1: So z adp gives you a bit of a roadmap for both finding and fixing the issue.
Speaker 2: It definitely can and for more systematic testing, maybe trying lots of different EXSS variations. Burp Suite's intruder tool is incredibly powerful. You can feed it a whole list of known EXSS payloads and just automate the process of sending them to various input fields looking for responses that indicate your script actually executed successfully.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's switch gears to header injection and URL redirection. What's the basic weakness here what allows this kind of attack?
Speaker 2: This vulnerability pops up when an application takes user input, maybe from a URL parameter, and uses it directly to decide where to redirect the user's browser without properly checking or validating that input first.
Speaker 1: So instead of sending you to a safe fixed.
Speaker 2: Location right, instead of having SAFECode like header location dot https, do wwwang dot site hard coded, the vulnerable code might look more like response dot send, redirect, request dot get parameter, or just blindly trust whatever URL the user or attacker provides in that parameter, and.
Speaker 1: That opens the door to what's the main risk for the user.
Speaker 2: The biggest risk is usually very convincing phishing attacks. An attacker can craft a special URL that looks like it belongs to the legitimate website, but when you click it, that vulnerable redirect parameter sends your browser seamlessly to a malicious site designed to steal your credentials or drop malware.
Speaker 1: Because it came from the trusted site initially, the user might not notice the switch exactly.
Speaker 2: It makes the fish much harder to spot. It really exploits that user trust in the original domain.
Speaker 1: So how do ethical hackers track down these hidden potentially malicious redirects.
Speaker 2: Again, Bripsweet's proxy and spider tools are key. As you browse the target application, you're keeping an eye out for any HTTP responses that come back with a three xx status code that three to one means a redirect is happening.
Speaker 1: And once you spot a three xx redirect, then you.
Speaker 2: Take that request over to Burp's repeater tool. There you can manually tamper with the parameter that seems to be controlling the redirect destination. If you can change it to point to an external site you control, and the browser successfully redirects there, you've confirmed the vulnerability, and.
Speaker 1: If you find one, what's the fix you'd recommend?
Speaker 2: Well, the best fix is usually to just avoid using user controlled data in redirection logical together if possible. If a redirect is necessary based on input, then use direct hard coded links mapped to save values, or maintain a very strict server side whitelist of allowed destination ur else.
Speaker 1: Whitelisting sounds safer.
Speaker 2: Definitely and absolutely crucial. Any user input that might influence a redirect destination must be strongly validated. Check that it starts with an expected trusted prefix like http dot your site dot com and doesn't contain characters that could trick the browser.
Speaker 1: Okay, next up a real classic malicious file uploads. What's the immediate danger if an attacker can successfully upload a bad file?
Speaker 2: Oh, the danger is huge. If an attacker can upload a malicious file, especially something like a PHP script or another executable file type, and then get the server to run it, that can give them a significant foothold on the system, leading to what It could lead to them completely owning the system, as they say, getting full control, or at the very least, maybe defacing the website changing its content. It's basically a form of remote code execution. You're potentially letting the attacker run their own programs directly on your server.
Speaker 1: Yikes. How does a poorly secured file upload form look compared to a safe one?
Speaker 2: An insecure one might be just a basic HTML form form action upload, PHP method, posting type, multipart from data, maybe with little or no checking happening on the server side. It just sort of trusts whatever file the user sends.
Speaker 1: It as a secure one.
Speaker 2: A secure site implements robust validation on the server after the file arrives. It would check the file extension sure, But more importantly, it would check the actual file type based on its content, not just the name. Maybe scan it from malware and sure it matches an allowed list of types like only accepting JPEGs or PDFs, and reject anything suspicious, especially executable scripts like PHP.
Speaker 1: So how would an attacker try to bypass these checks? In a test lab like DVWA.
Speaker 2: They often rely on tricks and misconfigurations. For example, you might try uploading a malicious PHP file containing commands like slixick elsli to list files or mk to hacker to create a directory.
Speaker 1: But the server might block dot php files.
Speaker 2: Right, so if the server only checks the last part of the file name, you might try naming your file something like shell dot php dot jpg. You hope the server sees dot jpg and allows it, but maybe later another part of the system interprets it as dot php and executes it clever.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 2: You'd also use burp Suite's repeater tool to modify the request on the fly. You can change the content type heater that the browser sends, maybe setting it to image jpg. Even though you're uploading PHP code. You're trying to fool the server side validation logic and if it works. If it works, you might send see visible changes like website defacement, or maybe you can navigate to a new directory like hacker that your malicious script created that confirms your code executed. It's definitely a game of cat mouse with the servers validation rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift slightly towards email security poisoning Sender Policy Framework or SBF. Most of us just send and receive emails without thinking much about this. What does SBF actually do?
Speaker 2: SBF is a technical standard for email authentication. Its main job is to help protect both email senders and recipients from spam, from email spoofing where someone pretends to be someone else, and from phishing attacks.
Speaker 1: How does it do that?
Speaker 2: It works by allowing a domain owner, like say, your company, to publish a list of mail servers that are authorized to send email on behalf of that domain. When an email arrives, the receiving server checks the sender's IP address against this published SBF record for the domain.
Speaker 1: Sort of like a bouncer checking an ID against a guest list.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Yeah, if the sending server isn't all list, the receiving server can be suspicious and might mark the email as spam or even rejected outright.
Speaker 1: Why do we need this extra layer? Doesn't basic email handle authentication?
Speaker 2: That's good question. The fundamental email protocol SMTP is actually quite old and well surprisingly trusting. It doesn't have strong authentication built in. It's relatively easy for someone to forge the from address on an email.
Speaker 1: So SPF plugs that gap exactly.
Speaker 2: It adds a much needed layer of verification on top of the basic SMTP process.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's important, but does it have limitations? And I hear about DMRC too, what's that about.
Speaker 2: Yes, SPF definitely has limitations. Yeah. One major one is that it doesn't actually validate the frumheader the address the recipient ces and their email client. It checks the envelope from, which is used more for routing behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it might not stop spoofing of the visible address correct.
Speaker 2: Also, SPF can sometimes break when emails are legitimately forwarded because the forwarding server might not be listed in the original domains sp F record. That's where DMRC comes in.
Speaker 1: What is dmrcad.
Speaker 2: DMR, which stands for Domain based Message Authentication Reporting and Conformance, builds upon both SPF and another standard called DKIM. It provides much stronger protection against spoofing and fizzing. Crucially, DMR allows domain owners to tell receiving servers exactly what to do with emails that fail SPF or DKEM checks, like quarantine them or reject them. And it provides really valuable reports back to the domain owner about who is sending email using their domain, helping them spot fraudulent activity.
Speaker 1: So better protection and visibility. How would someone check if their domain's SPF record is set up correctly?
Speaker 2: They're easy to use online tools for that. Good examples are Kidderman dot com, SPF validate dot html, or the tools on mxtoolbox dot com. You just put in your domain name say Sunjipsynha, dot fund, and these tools will fetch and analyze its published SPF record. They'll show you what it is like VSPF one plus A plus MX plus IP four point nine, four point one three zero point one nine, put one two four all and tell you it looks correctly formated, helping you spot in years useful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Next on our list, XML External Entity injection or XX. Now many people know XML is a way to structure data, right How does that lead to an attack?
Speaker 2: Right? First, quick recap. XML is a markup language, software and hardware independent used for storing and transporting data. It's self descriptive, kind of like a structured text file, maybe similar in concept to a database table in some ways.
Speaker 1: Is it still used much? I hear more about JSON now.
Speaker 2: Jason has definitely become more popular for webapis, but XML is still very widely used, especially in enterprise systems, configuration files, industry specific standards things like SOPU web services. It's definitely not gone away.
Speaker 1: And what's a DTD? You mentioned that in the context of XML.
Speaker 2: A DTD or document type definition basically defines the rules for an XML document. It specifies what elements and attributes are allowed, their structure, ensuring the XML is valid according to a specific format.
Speaker 1: Okay, so XML is just structured data. DTD defines the structure. Where does the injection part and the danger come from?
Speaker 2: The danger the XX injection happens when an application processes XML input from an untrusted source and its XML parser is configured insecurely. Specifically, it involves exploiting a feature of XML parsers that allows XML documents to declare and include external entities.
Speaker 1: External entities like pulling in data from outside the main XML file exactly.
Speaker 2: An attacker can craft malicious XML input that defines an external entity pointing to a sensitive resource like a local file on the server. If the parser is vulnerable, it might actually fetch and include the content of that file right into the XML document being processed.
Speaker 1: So they trick the parser into grabbing things it shouldn't like. What kind of things?
Speaker 2: Potentially, Yeah, this could allow them to view files from the server's file system. I think configuration files, password files like etc. Pass throught on Linux. It could also potentially let them interfere with back end systems the application talks to, or even low bunch attacks against other external systems from the application server itself. It exploits how some standard XML libraries handle these external entities, sometimes insecurely by default.
Speaker 1: So it's about tricking the XML parser into becoming an unwilling accomplice to fetch local files. Can you give a concrete example of what that malicious XML might look like?
Speaker 2: Sure, in a vulnerable app like utilidae or bupp, you might inject something like this into an XML input field doc typefood dot entity, xccsystem file dot ettc passwd barn xebar Okay. Breaking that down, the doc type part defines a new entity named XC. The system file dot icpasswd tells the parser that the content of this XCS entity is the content of the local file a setter pass. Then later in the XML n XS tries to use that entity, and.
Speaker 1: If the application is vulnerable.
Speaker 2: It will replace anx with the actual contents of the ETSETA pass file, and often that content will get reflected back in the applications response, letting the attacker see it. It's a direct way to leak sensitive server information.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly powerful access from just manipulating XML. How would you automate finding these and maybe grabbing specific config.
Speaker 2: Files For automation, you definitely turn to Burpsuite's Intruder tool again. You can load it up with a list of pre made XX payloads. There are great collections online like the payloads all the things repository on GitHub, and.
Speaker 1: Intruder tries all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Intruder will systematically send requests with these different XXX payloads, targeting various parameters or parts of the XML input. It automates the fuzzing process trying different techniques to read local files like common config files, or interact with the system while you monitor the responses for any signs of success like leaked file contents appearing okay.
Speaker 1: Moving on to command injection vulnerabilities. The sounds well, pretty direct, like the attacker is literally typing commands. What's the danger level here?
Speaker 2: The danger level is extremely high critical, usually because these vulnerabilities allow an attacker to execute arbitrary operating system OS commands directly on the server that's hosting the web application.
Speaker 1: So if they get command injection.
Speaker 2: It's often game over. They can potentially compromise the entire application, steal or destroy all its data, maybe install malware, pivot to attack other internal systems, essentially take full control of the server infrastructure. It's one of those impactful vulnerabilities you can find.
Speaker 1: How is that different from something like say code injection. They sound similar.
Speaker 2: That's a really key distinction. OS. Command injection specifically runs commands at the operating system level, like LS to list files on Linux, or deeron Windows, or even rmaarf to wipe the disc. It's interacting directly with the server's.
Speaker 1: Shell, whereas code injection.
Speaker 2: Code injection executes attacker supplied code within the application's own programming language environment. So maybe injecting malicious PHP code that the PHP interpreter runs, or Java code or Python code. Both are extremely severe, but they operate at slightly different layers of the system stack.
Speaker 1: Got it, and how do attackers actually manage to sneak their OS commands in? How do they piggyback them onto legitimate input?
Speaker 2: They typically use command separators. These are special characters that the operating system shell understands as meaning run another command. Common ones on Linux Unix are the semi colon, pete mill, the ampersandic candor runs in background, double ampersand and L runs only if previous command succeeded. The pipe sends output of one command to another, and double pipe runs only if previous command failed.
Speaker 1: So they might append l's to some normal input exactly.
Speaker 2: For example, if an application has a feature to ping and IP address and takes the IP from user input, an attacker might provide one hundred point zero point zero point one LS. The application might build the command ping one to two point zero point zero point one LS, the OS runs, the ping finishes, sees the semi colon, and then just runs l's as a completely separate command. They're chaining commands together clever.
Speaker 1: So how would an ethical hacker discover this in a lab setting? What's the A.
Speaker 2: Common approach is using vulnerable features like maybe a DNS look up page in an app like mutilitay, combined with purp suites, repeater and intruder. You'd start experimenting in repeater, injecting potential command separators in simple OS commands after legitimate input, like trying eight point eight point eight point eight eight or eight eight point eight point eight in one one.
Speaker 1: Mean, just trying different separators and commands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you'd use intruder to automate this fuzzing. You can provide lists of separators, commands, maybe even special fuzzing markers like sex sixcpres to systematically try different combinations. Then you carefully analyze the HTTP responses from the server looking for what in the response you're looking for the output of your injected commands. If you inject LS and suddenly see a file listing in the HTML response, or you injects and see user information like OD three to three WWW data, you know you've found a command injection vulnerability. You can use it to discover the OS type, running user installed software, all sorts of useful info.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of serious ground. Let's wrap up the vulnerability section with two big ones each, m MAL injection and sqel injection. First, HTML injection. How is this one characterized?
Speaker 2: HTML injection is often described as a rendering attack. It basically means an attacker can inject arbitrary HTML code tags like h one or imagy or even form into a web page, and that injected HTML gets rendered in display to other users.
Speaker 1: So it messes with how the page looks. What are the actual risks?
Speaker 2: Well? Compared to command injection, it might seem less risky for say, direct data theft, but it can seriously damage website's reputation by defacing its appearance. More critically, it can often be a stepping stone to more severe attacks. For instance, an attacker could inject a fake login form using HTML injection. That form might look legitimate, but it actually posts the user's credentials to the attacker server. Or they might inject HTML that helps them steal session cookies, potentially leading to a full cross site scripting EXSS attack if they can also inject script tags.
Speaker 1: So it's about manipulating what the user sees and potentially setting them up for something worse. How is it usually found and what's the defense.
Speaker 2: You can often find it manually in test apps, like maybe a stored blog page in bwapp. You try injecting simple HTML tags like btestp or maybe a small image tag and see if it actually renders on the page when you view it later and prevention. Prevention comes down to robust input sanitization. Again, any user supplied input that's going to be displayed back on a page needs to have potentially dangerous HTML characters properly escaped or stripped out before it's rendered. Using libraries designed for this is key. Also, implementing a strong content security policy or CSP is crucial.
Speaker 1: What does CSP do here?
Speaker 2: CSP tells the user's browser exactly what sources of content, scripts, images, styles, etc. Are allowed to be loaded and executed for your website. It can help mitigate the impact of injection attacks even if some malicious HTML or script manages to get through the initial sanitization right.
Speaker 1: And finally, the big one SQL injection or sequel sort of this, it sounds incredibly serious. What's the fundamental idea.
Speaker 2: It is extremely serious. Sequel is a web security vulnerability that allows an attacker to interfere with the database queries that an application makes. Essentially, the attacker crafts malicious input that, when included in a database query by the application, changes the query's logic in a way the attacker controls.
Speaker 1: You're basically talking directly to the database through the web application in effect.
Speaker 2: Yes, by manipulating the input, they trick the application into sending malicious sequel commands to the database on their.
Speaker 1: Behalf and potential impact If they succeed, what can they do? Oh?
Speaker 2: The consequences are typically catastrophic. Attackers can potentially read sensitive data from the database, the user credentials, personal information, credit card numbers. They can modify or delete data. They can often bypass authentication mechanisms entirely, maybe gaining administrative access to the application.
Speaker 1: Can it get worse than that?
Speaker 2: Yes, Depending on the database configuration and permission, they might even be able to execute operating system commands on the database server itself, completely compromising the underlying infrastructure, or launch denial of service attacks that bring down the database and the application. It's a gateway to the Crown jewels usually Wow.
Speaker 1: You mentioned bypassing authentication. Can you give an example of how that works? It sounds almost too simple, It.
Speaker 2: Often is surprisingly simple with basic vulnerabilities. Let's say you have a log in form that takes a username in password. A vulnerable application might build a SQL query like select from users where a username improtucer and password.
Speaker 1: Okay, standard log in query.
Speaker 2: Now, an attacker might enter something like R one one into the username field and maybe anything in the password field. The application might then construct the query select from users where username or one in password or whatever.
Speaker 1: What does the R one one do?
Speaker 2: Well? One one is always true, so the wear clause becomes where username equal true. Since anything or true is always true, the condition matches every row in the user's table. The at the end is a comment signal and SQL often making the database ignore the rest of the line, including the password.
Speaker 1: Check, so the query just returns all users exactly.
Speaker 2: And often the application code will just log in the first user returned by the query, which is frequently the administrator account. Boom, They're logged in as admin without needing a password. It's the digital equivalent of a skeleton key.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly effective for such a simple input. Now, beyond logging in, how do attackers use SQL to explore the database and steal data? You mentioned a tool called school map.
Speaker 2: Right once you've confirmed in SQL injection, point maybe using burp suite to find where input affects the database. School Map is the go to tool for automating the exploitation. It's incredibly powerful and comes pre installed with Cali Linux.
Speaker 1: How does it work? What can it do?
Speaker 2: You can basically feed school Map a saved AGTTP request from burpsuite that contains the vulnerable parameter using the alve flag. Then you give it commands. It can automatically figure out what type of database is on the back end my SQL, Microsoft's server, Postgrescool, Oracle, et cetera, often by fingerprinting the responses or grabbing the database.
Speaker 1: Banner so it identifies a target first. Then what Then you.
Speaker 2: Can tell it to list all the databases available you Wise, once you pick a database of interest, say one name Noah SIP, you can list all the tables within that database no aspit tables and.
Speaker 1: Find interesting tables like credit cards exactly.
Speaker 2: Once you find an interesting table like credit cards, you can list all the columns within that table dat d no, ask betty t credit cards columns to see what kind of data it holds, maybe CC number or CCVE expire date, and.
Speaker 1: The final step getting the actual data yep.
Speaker 2: The final step is to tell school map to dump all the data from that specific table DATCHI knee no OSC datchnee credit cards dump. It will then use various SEQL injection techniques to extract every row and column from that table and display it right there for you. It automates what would be an incredibly tedious manual process potentially revealing highly sensitive information. It's an ethical hacker's best friend when it comes to exploring databases via seqel.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is incredibly comprehensive, going from finding a small flaw to potentially dumping the entire database. What an eye opening journey through just some of these web vulnerabilities and the tools used to find them. It really hammers home how many potential cracks there can be in the digital foundations we rely on constantly.
Speaker 2: It truly is a dynamic field, isn't it. It's constantly evolving the world of web security and bug bounty hunting specifically. It just demands continuous learning. You have to keep up with research adapt quickly. New threats, new vulnerability types, new attack techniques emerge all the.
Speaker 1: Time, so what worked yesterday might not be enough today exactly.
Speaker 2: Success in this area really comes from well, a deep curiosity, maybe even a bit of obsession, and definitely persistence in determination. You have to be willing to dig deep and always try to stay one step ahead.
Speaker 1: So a final thought for our listeners, then, in this world of ever evolving digital threats, how much do you really know about the hidden weaknesses and the websites and applications you interact with every single day?
Speaker 2: And maybe what might that knowledge compel you to explore next