Speaker 1: Good evening and welcome to a Memorial Day nightcap on seven hundred WLW Gary Jeff Walker. Words are cheap, and the cheap words we use or choose to try and do justice, to try and honor those who've given the ultimate sacrifice for us can never do them justice. It can't bring them back, and it can't really really give tribute to their loss and their sacrifice. But I want to think a little bit about happy Memorial Day, and people toss around all the time, and I would think that some people who have served our country and taken the oath and upheld it might take umbrage with the term happy Memorial Day when they think about their fallen colleagues who gave their all. Maybe we should say grateful Memorial Day because I am grateful, and I am grateful because that that sacrifice has meant a lifetime of the ability to live the life I chose the chance to talk to you, to do this career I wanted to do from the time I was seven years old. A chance to enjoy my family, a chance to enjoy marriage, a chance to have this career. It's a grateful Memorial Day to me, and even my gratitude will never be enough. And for those family members who have lost those in war in combat for the United States of America, they also are grateful for their service, and they know more than me or most people how great that sacrifice really is and was. And you could say that maybe I have some survivor's guilt because I never paid that price that they did, and maybe I do say I'm lucky, but I even think of that, and I go luck has nothing to do with it. It is because of their deeds, and my words will never measure up to their deeds. With that in mind, we have some thoughts on Memorial Day, which my friend Peter Bronson will share with us tonight, and some of the things that we get to enjoy because of their sacrifice, like great music and the chance to travel this remarkable country that's remarkable for no other reason than that sacrifice. And we will do all of that tonight on this nightcap, and maybe a little fun time with Furman before we're done. With that being said, let's get on with the show up next to Travelogue, because this last Monday in May is not only Memorial Day, but for many it marks the beginning of the summer travel season. Are there some interesting places you might want to go. My friend Flash Phelps will join us in just a moment. He's been to all fifty states, most of them except for Hawaii by car, because you still can't do that by car get to a way that is. But anyway, that summer travelogue begins our nightcap next on seven hundred w LW. So if there's some place cool to talk about, Flash can probably authoritatively tell you where you should go. That's what what we got. We got Flash on to tell you where to go. Flash Phelps, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: You good?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's fantastic. You know what a Memorial Day weekend?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I have a trivia question for you. Memorial Day Weekend M d W. They're the three letters of which airport m that's a great question, md w.
Speaker 5: W Memorial Day Weekend m MEW.
Speaker 2: Three letter code. Somebody's probably flying through there right now. It's a big one. It's it's next to O R D. Oh here it's midway in Chicago. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: How about that Memorial Day weekend about a week ago? And they're like, somebody wrote Memorial Day Weekend and they just wrote MDW And I went midway and then they were talking about Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 2: I said, I got to use that on the air a lot. That's food phenomenal.
Speaker 1: I don't know the designations, and I'm surprised you do, because most of your travel is on the ground in your car. You go everywhere, and and you've been everywhere seemingly.
Speaker 2: Now I want to ask.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you, well before you say that, I did a trip just two weeks ago, and I drove twenty seven hundred miles and my Flashmobile got forty nine point five miles to the gallon in the first nine hundred miles. It's a it's all gas power. Because it's I don't want to say the name of the car I call a Flashmobile. I'll tell you what. It's a palindrome. Right now, we're on a palindrome date. You can write the date today forward and backwards. As you probably know, yes, and so it's it's a car that is a palindrome.
Speaker 5: Forward and backwards is the same name. So you probably know what it is.
Speaker 1: Well there you go, all right, So, but forty nine miles to the gallon, that's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: Pretty amazed.
Speaker 3: And these and the tires that are on there almost have almost one hundred thousand miles on them.
Speaker 1: Where was that proported at eighty thousand? Do you remember where the cheapest gas was flash on your trip Tennessee?
Speaker 3: It's always Tennessee always gives me some pretty cheap gas. And so that's why I usually like driving the South. The South always gives me better deals than over three dollars.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what it is. Part of it is is the taxes. I mean you, just as the states that have less state gasoline taxes, you're going to find cheaper gas low and behold, well, isn't that a surprise? And my parents are still alive. God bless them, and God bless me for still. I'm so grateful. They live in Hendersonville, Tennessee, which is just outside of Nashville. I'm sure you're familiar where Hendersonville is. Sure up on the side, yeah, uh and uh. When we drive from here in the tri state area of Ohio and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 2: And seventy five seventy one to sixty five, we.
Speaker 1: Yep seventy five seventy one to sixty five and go south, go straight through Louisville. Used to go the Gene Freighter of Jean Jean Snyder Parkway.
Speaker 2: But a lot of times they want you to take the water the Watertown Waterson, Waterson Express, Waterson. That's the one.
Speaker 1: But but I'm telling you what driving driving straight through Louisville is actually closer. It's it's a lot cheaper and there's not as many You drive an extra twenty minutes on the Gene Snyder to get down to sixty five. Anyway, when we go there, gases always, no matter what time of year, twenty to thirty cents cheaper a gallon in Middle Tennessee than it is up here.
Speaker 2: So I would agree.
Speaker 3: You have you stopped it one of the the disco bathrooms up there in northern Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yet I did it, and my gosh, was that fun. It is so cool.
Speaker 3: So for if you're in the Cincinnati area in northern Kentucky that look up disco bathroom.
Speaker 5: You go in, you hit a button and says don't hit this button.
Speaker 3: You hit the button and all the lights go out and the disco ball starts spinning around the bathroom.
Speaker 2: It's in men and women.
Speaker 3: I heard it's in the women too, but it'll spin around and it'll do the whole disco and it'll start playing Beg's it's.
Speaker 2: So cool in your area. Have you been to BUCkies yet?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tried to go to, especially after I went.
Speaker 3: In Texas because I went to when I told the first one out right near Austin. So I had gone to that one. I said, Man, it should be putting these everywhere. So as soon as they built the one in Alabama, which are now four, and so I keep on going to all the ones that are out of the state. So whether or not it's south of U on I seventy five or the one on sixty five, is Smith's over there.
Speaker 1: Smith Grow Smith Smiths Grove. That's where that's where World WIF found. Can I stop on our trips homes to see Mom and Dad? We stop at the BUCkies now there at Smith exit thirty eight, and it was all.
Speaker 5: In Green Cave City, right in between the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's It's Smith's Grove is right there on the way to Bowling Green and it is. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen at a store gas stage, the way they move traffic and people in and out of those things.
Speaker 3: And the tip is don't go in the first entrance. There's a lot of times two entrances there should be. It's so big, and never pick the first and everybody wants to pull in the first. One tip for you when you're driving, there's going to be a second entrance. Go past those people. Look for the back way in. It always works.
Speaker 2: Now you live in the DC area or Virginia, is that right?
Speaker 3: I live in between Philadelphia and Baltimore.
Speaker 2: I'm in that here, Okay.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people in the summertime, and we're here in summer vacation season. That's that's why you're on the show to talk about some cool places to go in the summertime. A lot of people go north because the weather's nicer. I mean, it's if you're gonna go to like, if you're gonna go to Maine. For me, the only time to go would be summertime, wouldn't you agree?
Speaker 3: That is definitely a thing that I do is that if somebody will go out, well at the universe, it is just open back on Thursday. You going, I said, well, no, I'll wait till it gets colder to go to Florida. So I'm going to do as many things in the north. These things are open, especially now for Memorial Day as you get into the Labor Day, and then a lot of these places are up and beyond that as well. And in Maine they have the new National Monument, Francis Perkins, that has not even been open since it's become a National Park site.
Speaker 2: So I will head on up there.
Speaker 3: If you remember when Forrest Gump was running across the country and he said he runs the Pacific Ocean. When he turns around and runs to the east, he runs right in that same area.
Speaker 2: That lighthouse that you see.
Speaker 3: I went to it last year to be able to go see it, and that's right near the Francis Perkins National Monument, which is one of the new ones. So that's a good reason to go to Maine a'l gonquit. There's just I just I went all the way to the top of Maine, and a lot of people don't go that far past Bangalore.
Speaker 5: But when you go up into the very northern parts of.
Speaker 3: Man, it's like going up in the northern minute snowda and I see minue snowda.
Speaker 2: It's not snow up there. Right now. You're usually good.
Speaker 3: Right now, Glacier National Park, you always have to wait till closer to fourth of July till they can open the going to the Sun road and you and again you just can't go there and drive over. You have to make sure you go online and get your timed entry to get over top of But going to the Sun Road, there's the I'm Go'll tell you about a great road, the Bear Tooth.
Speaker 2: If you've never done the Bear Tooth.
Speaker 3: It's between Yellowstone National Park and Montana and between there and Billings and look for the bear Tooth. Everybody had told me, they said you got to drive this road. So I was driving in Montana and I dropped down to the Yellowstone National Park around Mamos Springs, came out the northeast side of the Lamar Valley where all the bison aar and it's just I got out of there. You see the bear Tooth. It's a mountain that looks like a bear tooth. And then all of a sudden you start climbing and climbing, and when you hit that Montowna side, you are way high and you start going down the road back into Montana. One of the most excepts, but you have to do it this time of the year. That's a highly recommend bar Tooth Highway, Wyoming, Montanna.
Speaker 2: Look that one up. You know what I used to love when we were kids.
Speaker 1: We lived in the suburban Chicago area, not too far from MDW by the way. In Memorial Day weekend, yeah, Memorial Day weekend, we used to go to the Wisconsin Dell's and my parents would take us on a camping trip and they had one of those Coleman pop up campers, and you know, we'd find a campground there in either Baraboo or Portage, Wisconsin. What can you tell me about that area? Is it still a great destination for people. It's growing. It's my photo op favorite place. So I just went again last year and they're putting in the brand new Mountain coastre. It's supposed to open here in the summer of twenty twenty five, so it'll be in that area. As you know, you go over to Baraboo and that's the Ringling area. You have the whole circus world.
Speaker 3: But you between those cities if you want water parks, if you want especially Big Sheep one of the great amusement parks with the coasters.
Speaker 2: They started it out.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was living in Indiana back in the nineties and I went over the head one and all of a sudden it became a huge park. But just the pictures that you can get taken in that area, whether or not you want the giant horse, I mean Rome, It'll looks like you're the Coliseum. They have just all these co replatives they got. Remember the Sinclair Dinosaur, a dinosaur that must be about twenty feet tall. It's on the southeast side. As soon as the Eggs of nine ninety four, you'll see that one. So yes, it's just growing. And there's so many great shows. It's like Vision Forge. Do they still have the Tommy Bartlett water Show? I remember that as a I'm pretty sure they still have that. I have never seen that, but I'll bet it's still there.
Speaker 1: And Paul Paul bunyons for Breakfast with Babe the Blue Ox.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar with that.
Speaker 3: I've never been in there, but I know that if you go up in the north you get a lot.
Speaker 2: Of those statues.
Speaker 3: There'll be so many Paul Bunions in the Blue Ox and you'll just see those everywhere. It's such a big part of It's a great place because if you're living.
Speaker 5: Even in the Midwest, had on up to the up of Michigan.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: But when I travel, I'm always looking for the high pressure system. So the way I love traveling is I say I'm going to take off for a week, and.
Speaker 2: They'll say where you go, and I say, well, I don't know. Let's see where the weather takes me.
Speaker 3: And I look for the high pressure system because I know all my pictures and I'm going to get some pretty good blue sky weather. And then I find places to stay along the way and I get good weather. So you go where the weather's going to be good. That's where I really try. I try to think about a week and a half off and say, all right, where's the high.
Speaker 2: Pressure right now? Oh, on this day, it'll be this this.
Speaker 3: Okay, if I hit here, I might be able to go here, and I change my plans during the entire trip. Not for everybody, but it is so much fun because you don't know your destination. It sounds like a blast. You look for dairy bars with good mill bars, is what you're telling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very good thing.
Speaker 3: And you know when you started, you talked about you played Holiday Road from the movie Vacation. And if you've never seen the family Truckster, they have one that's set up and it's down in Trinidad, not on the island.
Speaker 2: Trinidad is in Colorado.
Speaker 3: It's I twenty five, very southern Colorado, almost at the New Mexico border, and they actually put Edna on top, so it is it's a great photo op and that's part of the road that they were really driving.
Speaker 2: When they went out to Pagosa Springs.
Speaker 3: And you can see a lot of the things along the way from the movie Vacation.
Speaker 1: It's note I really enjoy that it's not exactly a summer destination. He would know it's a better weather in summer. My birthtown of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. I think we may have talked about this before. It's in Henry County, Iowa, and they're in the southeast corner of the state, right off Highway thirty four. If you go straight from Galesburg, Illinois on thirty four, you'll hit Mount Pleasant and town of about nine ten thousand people and every year they have the Midwest Old Thrashers Reunion, which is an incredible festival of old steam engines and farm equipment, and then they have modern tractors and they have country music artists there. They've got an old steam train that runs around the entire fairgrounds that you can ride. I highly recommend that for you for a future flash trip when the barometric pressure is right.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 3: Well, Burlington, the town right next to you as well. They have a place called the Phelps House. And if you can find the Pelps House, they have the Snake Alley. So if you're very familiar with a road that would just like Lombard Street in San Francisco. It's just like it, and it's next to the Felps House and it's right there, and he goes directly down almost towards the Mississippi River. But look for Snake Alley if you're in Burlington, not too far away from Gary Jeff's place of Mount Pleasant, which is a lot of fun. Here's another way, and I bet you know about this. In the Quad Cities area on the north side, there's a town called Leclair. On the other side, there's a place called Port Byron, Illinois. Do you know that they play tugle war against each other? No, this is one of the coolest things you look up look up tugle war from from Leclaire in Iowa.
Speaker 5: So imagine the people of Leclaire, Iowa.
Speaker 3: They take a boat and they take the rope all the way across the Illinois and the Port Byron. People on each side are pulling on the rope, trying to pull each other into the Mississippi River every years.
Speaker 2: Real story.
Speaker 1: I gotta find out when that is, because the next time I make a trip to Iowa, maybe this summer will make a trip up to Leclair and Port Byron, Port Byron and wats the I don't know if I'm I don't know if I'm going to get involved. I'd like to see it though. You know, speaking of the speaking of the Mississippi River, there are so many cool destinations and and it's you know, a day and a half's drive from here, more than likely unless you're a real dedicated traveler like a flash Phelps. The Mississippi River is rife with all kinds of great destinations and locations from the Tom Sawyer you know, Huck Finn, Hannibal and that whole area. Any any recommendations along that trail, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Now you can ride each side and they both are marked with paddle wheels. So if you get the Mississippi River, whether or not you're on the east side or west side, you'll see the paddle wheel trail and you can follow along the river. One of my favorites. If you can go up to northern Minnesota, you actually can see the start of the Mississippi River. So you want to go up to brain the brain Er Bamidgie area. So if you're in Bamidgie here, I'll get the map out. I'm a point at for.
Speaker 2: You as well. There's park rapids well as soon.
Speaker 3: As you are here and you can actually go to the very start of the Misissippi River. You can walk through it because's only about a foot deep once it starts, so it's one of the coolest things that you can see up there in the midge and then make your way down until it gets to the Twin Cities gets wire and wider as you know. So that's one of my favorites to definitely see along the Mississippi.
Speaker 2: I love that, you know what.
Speaker 3: Another great one is Mud Island in Memphis. If you get the Memphis you walk over the bridge, you just get on the Mud Island. That's where they have the giant Memphis sign kind of like in Cincinnati, you know the Queens City right there, a big li says Memphis on Mud Island. But they have the lower part of the Mississippi River, which would include everything from Missouri all the way to the Gulf, and it would go all the way down and you can do it, and they raise and lower the water depending on where the Mississippi is at that time. And right now, as you know, it's been pretty high from all these rains. Well you have flooding there in Cincinnati, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Well we've had some flooding earlier in the year. Right now, we're still dealing with the aftermath of the terrible, deadly tornadoes that took place near London, Kentucky that claim me, yeah, twenty one lives and you know they're by the way, quick, quick chance for me to just once again plug Matthew twenty five Ministries, which is located here in Cincinnati and Blue Ash and they have drops all over the place. They're looking for a number of items from anyone who can bring them to these people who literally lost everything in the twisters of last week in London, Kentucky and Somerset area.
Speaker 2: Just south of Lexington.
Speaker 1: So I tell you what, Flash, If you'll hold on a second, I want to do one more quick segment with you. We're talking summer vacations and we're talking with the ultimate road warrior, Flash Phelps of sixties Gold. And it's Memorial Day, so you know, let the vacations begin. You're back the segment number two with the one and only Flash Phelps, who is a serious XM personality on sixties Gold. He's there and every morning you wake up anywhere around the country and Flash probably close to your neck of the woods because he puts so many miles on the Flashmobile every year.
Speaker 2: How many counties has it been?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: How many counties in the United States? And how many do you lack on your list?
Speaker 2: Flash?
Speaker 5: I lacked less than or about two hundred right now.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 3: Actually, it's kind of cold because I have this running count that goes on my list, and so I'm going to try to find out what the exact total is for you, all right. So it's amazing because I keep on trying to hit more and it just takes a while. Okay, here's my running total out of thirty one hundred and forty four counties in the United States, I've been in twenty nine hundred and thirty two. There's only two hundred and twelve. I've not been in the counties, which means I've been in ninety three point three percent of all of the United States.
Speaker 1: And every state including Hawaii. Although he did not drive to Hawaii. You have to fly Island Island.
Speaker 3: There's five counties there, and they don't make it easy. The great trips to take, and they it's hard to get there. Now it's kala Waho County. That's the smallest county in the entire United States. Very tough to get there after we had the pandemic because that's if you know the story about that's where it's called Hanson's disease. Yes, and that's the that's the Kala Papa Peninsula and that's the whole county. And to be able to get down there, I walked all the way down. I got the way to go down and do the whole tour, and you can take the donkeys down, but once they open that definitely take that tour.
Speaker 5: So you can go to Kalauaho County on Hawaii.
Speaker 1: It's on Molokai is where that is another place that you can't get you by car on purpose is Alcatraz Island and there has been talk of them renovating that and turning it back into a prison. What is the museum like at Alcatraz? You've been there that I have?
Speaker 3: I did that only because every time I would look over it, I said, Highland going to go. So it's on my way down to American Samoa, and I said, okay, seven San Francisco to be able to go. And I wasn't able to get the first boat, but my I highly recommend trying to get the first or second boat because what happens is you can stay on the island as long as you want. So once you get there, people keep staying longer and longer. Every fifteen to twenty minutes, there's another boat that's coming over Alcatraz, so it gives crowded in credit a little more crowded every time. So once you get to the island, I got a chance to meet one of the former prisoners, so I talked with him about what it was like.
Speaker 2: And then they won't tell.
Speaker 3: You a story about why he's there, but I looked it up and he had a book to be able to read, so you walk all the way up this hill. You have to walk all the way up and you get up to the museum and you start in where they had the showers. That's your very first part where you start. And they gave you headphones to put on, so it was a self guide to tour. You'd walk around, they would tell you that's what this is, that's what this is, and you go through and you everybody wants to see. I saw the movie Escape from Alcatraz, and I wanted to see where the hole was behind that there, And they actually have the paper mache head to show you how it was made. And then they show you how they got through the wall and climbed to the very top and went off and down.
Speaker 2: The side of the building.
Speaker 3: And then they said, hey, everybody thinks we'll go to San Francisco. It's closer to go to San Francisco on the south side. They decided they were going to try to make their way north to Angel Island. Nobody knows what ended up happening, but that it's beautiful to walk that island and go out into the playground and walk and just listen to the story.
Speaker 2: But you can see how the walls are crowded.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how they would put that back together to make it a prison, but it is such a great tourist attraction.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 3: Make sure it's just one of those things you go see sometime, because that was one of my favorite tours, all right.
Speaker 1: A very popular destination for people in this area in the summertime, or you know, as long as the weather's good, as long as they you know, have a high pressure front. Is is put In Bay, Oh Yes, and yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Been three three times. I took the high speed ferry twice to go over put In Bay. So if you're not familiar with it, the Ohio Islands on the north part of Ohio, right off of Sandusky, there's Port Clinton and you can then lead from there the high speed Well you can't take your car that way, but you can get over there very quick. It'll take you right into downtown put In Bay. If you take your car over, you're gonna go over. And that was fun. I did that too, and I drove around the island, but I made sure I did that off season. I did that in October and it was a little easier to drive around, but to be able to go over and just hang out on that island.
Speaker 2: I had a really good time.
Speaker 3: That's the only one into the Kelly Island and all the different ones. But put in Bay, I had a fantastic time. You can walk a lot of that island as well.
Speaker 1: It's a home home to the world's the world's biggest bar, the world's longest bar.
Speaker 2: Did you go to the war?
Speaker 3: All right, it's right in downtown on that little square and you can walk in and you can see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's some really cool things.
Speaker 3: And if you know down at Key West they have the pylon that says how far you are from Cuba, Well they have one there that says how far you are from the Canada or which is only a couple of miles.
Speaker 1: Our cell phones now, listen, when we went, our cell phones connected to Rogers told yeah, our cell phones told us that we were now in Canada when we were on the boat.
Speaker 2: And I'm going, We're not in Canada.
Speaker 6: We're in the United States.
Speaker 2: No, we were in Canada for a brief time. Thank god.
Speaker 1: There were no customs agents or guards there right exactly. Now, tell me about cool places in Pennsylvania. I want to know, because I am a huge and it's this sounds like I'm a relic from another age, which I probably am becoming very quickly a huge fan of the late great American actor Jimmy Stewart. Tell me about India, Indiana, Pennsylvania and the Jimmy Stewart Museum, And have you been there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I went over. They have the statue. Actually isn't in front of the museum, it's right in front of the courthouse, which is right next door. So you get your Jimmy Stewart picture and then you head next door into the museum. So if you are a big fan of Jimmy Stort, you'd want to be there in Indiana. But I'm going to give you another cool thing because you don't have to go there. On February of the second honks a Tawny Pennsylvania year round. That's just right near Indiana. You're not that far away. Make sure you do both and hit that one as well. And since you're going to be out in western Pennsylvania, always highly recommend the Flight ninety three Memorial. We all pretty much lived through ninety eleven and we know what happened right out there at Shanksville, Pennsylvania. They a year after year they've made that an incredible sight. So the Flight ninety three National Memorial, So we're seeing Alleghany Portage, which is out there.
Speaker 2: That's for the railroad.
Speaker 3: The Altuna Curve not only the name of their baseball team, but it's a real curve for the train line and you can stand there and the train will curve around you if you stand there and know when the trains are coming by. That the Kinzu Bridge up in the very northern parts, up in the Alleghany National Forest. And I was lucky enough because there's a Woodstock mural. So if you're into the sixties and you love Woodstock, they did this really cool mural. And Bradford, Pennsylvania, which is also the home of Zippo lighters in the Zippo Museum really cool. So if you go into downtown they have all these murals. Well, I started talking about them so much on the air. I got a call one day that said, Flash, we made a mural of you and it's next to the Woodstock mural. So if you Google map or Ways and type in my name Flash Phelps p H l A S H p H E L P S it'll come up on your Google Maps or your ways flash Melps Mural, Bradford, Pennsylvania Main Street. And it's right next to the Woodstock Mural. So and if you do a selfie of yourself with it, send it to me.
Speaker 2: I'm posting it.
Speaker 1: Well, you obviously are pH a m o us.
Speaker 3: It's so funny they label it on Google Maps is historical site?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: How did my how did my mural become a historical site? But then I don't know who.
Speaker 3: Labels these things, but I was honored to be able to When I got that message, they said, if you don't like it, we'll get rid of it and paint over.
Speaker 2: I said no, no, I said no, I got come see it.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Google Maps, speaking of Google Maps and you traveling and using those flash phelps. Have you been to the Gulf of America since it was renamed? And I wonder if it's any different than the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 2: I didn't see any difference. I went out.
Speaker 3: I didn't even see a sign that said but I heard in some places you could find the sign, but I did.
Speaker 5: I drove around it.
Speaker 2: You know what I did.
Speaker 5: I just went down to Florida back in February.
Speaker 3: So as soon as I went out, I went to cedar Key, so you're right on the golf and there was a lot of hurricane damage in the area, but that was beautiful and I drove all the way frond Us nineteen. You go up through the Swanee River and you can see where Swannee River is, and then you loop around Apple at Chicola. So you always hear about these places in September and August, especially when it's the hurricane season. But if you loop all around, you can drive the water. And if you get right out to the timeline where Eastern hits Central timeline, they have a chair that's sitting right there on the Gulf and it's you can be half an Eastern and half in Central for your photo off. It is right near Mexico Beach, so go to Mexico Beach in Florida. They were hit happily by a hurricane number of years ago and they're still recovering and that helps.
Speaker 2: And that's right before you would get to Panama City.
Speaker 3: But that's a fun photo op the half and half Eastern and Central time giant chair.
Speaker 1: What would you recommend in Upstate New York besides Niagara Fords.
Speaker 2: I the Adirondack Park.
Speaker 5: Definitely, the Lake Placid area.
Speaker 3: Anytime you can go and do that and uh oh gosh, and the island to Heart Island. Look up Heart Island and this is in the one thousand a thousand Islands areas, so you get to go north of Watertown and as soon as you get up there, you're your Kingston, Ontario. So the northeast side of Lake Ontario thousand Islands. Look for Heart Island and you can take a phoat of onto that island and just check out the mansion that is on that island. It was I've got some of the greatest photo ops. But anything inside the Adirondack Park, I don't know what I call there. The Adirondack Park is just really incredible. From Lake Placid and Saranac. I had such a great time driving that area. Well, there's a lot to see up there, You're right, I like going to say, I'm a big roller coaster rider, so if I'm not going to King's Island, I'm trying to find all the coasters all over the country, especially this time of the year while they're open.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I have a suggestion for you if you've never been to Waldo, Ohio.
Speaker 2: I've only been see.
Speaker 3: I haven't been to Waldo, Ohio, but I did go to Waldo, Arkansas.
Speaker 2: So I do have a picture at Waldo, Arkansas. Since there's a couple of them. I wonder how many cities there are in America with the name Waldo.
Speaker 3: And that's one nice thing. Would I have a list of all of them? I can usually look them all up? And that's how I play. I played this game City of the Day, and then I al always have to find out how many cities have a certain name, And then I can find out quickly by looking up so w A L d oh, how many Waldo's are there? And then I see it and go, okay, here's your answer. Alabama, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Minnesota, there's Ohio, Florida, Kentucky, Maine, California. They all have places called Waldo. So how cool is that? I'm glad my database searches that quick.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, here here's another question. How many places in the country are named Utopia. We have one in Ohio in Claremont County. And I was telling my wife. He said, you know, we're nowhere right now, because that's the true meaning of utopia.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, go ahead. Where is it? Where's Utopia?
Speaker 1: It's right between It's right at the edge of Clearmont County going into Brown County on Highway fifty two in Ohio, right along the river.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Okay, here's your answer.
Speaker 3: Florida, Illinois, Kansas, New York, Alhio, the one you mentioned, Texas and New South Wales Australia have places named utopia.
Speaker 2: So there's your answer for.
Speaker 1: The translation that the translation is exactly nowhere. And of course, there was an old joke about about the town of Climax, and apparently apparently you have to in one state to get to Climax. You have got them. You've got to first go through intercourse to get to climb.
Speaker 5: Here in Pennsylvania, you're in Lancaster area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's yes, and there's blue Ball as well right next.
Speaker 2: To that as well. Well. We have that is so true. We have a we have a sugar tit in Kentucky. We do. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: It is just amazing some of the names of the places that you find, and that's what makes it fun when you go around and the photo ops. Please get all these photo ops you can get when you see these places.
Speaker 1: That's what you that's something that you chronicle very well. I've seen some of the photos that you've taken on the website and yeah, you follow.
Speaker 2: Flash OLPs, Bunty Farm all with phs.
Speaker 3: You can see and go back and look at all these different pictures I've taken to show America. And you say, well, I'm going to North Dakota. We'll go to my North Dakota photo the folder and you can see a lot of pictures. Or I have a really cool video I did and it's of all fifty states. I went to all fifty I did it decided in one year, so I made a video.
Speaker 2: It's about twelve minutes, but.
Speaker 3: Every picture is labeled from every state and if you look up, it's called all fifty at fifty flash Phelps and it's on you can just search that watch that video and just keep on hitting pause and look at all the different places that I labeled with it. Just by nine hundred photos of America. What's the weirdest town name you can think of that you've seen? Oh, the weirdest town name I like Center of the Universe. That's a good one. That's there in Ohio. There's some really fun ones. I should have looked up by all my fun name cities that that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all right, Okay.
Speaker 1: We just said we were going to get together and talk about traveling, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: What did you? What do you most?
Speaker 1: What's the hardest part of traveling to all these places? Because I know that you have a ball doing it, and I know it's something that's a passion of yours and has been for many, many years, But there's got to be something that just frustrates you to no end and you go, God, was it really worth it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's the price, and then by the time you get there and it's like, oh my god, sorry, how much is this gonna cost for me?
Speaker 2: Number onse it the cast. I'm glad. I get forty.
Speaker 3: Five plus miles down when I'm doing these drives, so that really helps me out.
Speaker 2: So I love that the vehicle does that, and I'm getting so many miles doing that.
Speaker 3: The car almost says four hundred thousand miles on it and it's a twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: I got it in August of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: I average about sixty miles a year, so and that's that's the good part about it. I just it's the time sometimes where you'll go, man, I got to get this place, but they're going to close at a certain time. And then sometimes you miss certain places due to how long it'll take you to get there, or backed up trackic there's certain things. But other than that, I just that's why I like winging it, because if you do wing it, you'll go, well, I'll just do that next trip.
Speaker 5: And what I do this is a really cool thing. I have a map of the entire.
Speaker 3: Us on my phone, and then what I do is if I find some somebody will say, oh, did you know that there's utopia Ohio. Oh, let me go find it, and I put a pin on my map. So then when I'm close to the area, I start looking at the pins.
Speaker 2: What did I mark?
Speaker 3: And some of them I've forgotten, and I'll go, oh, I forgot that was there. Let me go over to that place right now. Always keep pins in your map, or keep.
Speaker 2: This up, pay for map right here. I got my right here, So I make sure I do it.
Speaker 3: I mark things and circle it and a lot of people just want to do it on their computers now.
Speaker 2: But I like having the physical math flash Phelps. I loved having you again tonight as a guest. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We're out of time, but say save travels and thank you thanks for the help.
Speaker 2: All right, you got it, all right? Have you travels here for the Memorial Day weekend?
Speaker 1: All right, seven hundred WLW Memorial Day celebrate.
Speaker 2: As I like to say, his pappy was a pistol.
Speaker 1: He's a son of a gun, the author of the Good Gun, Bad Guy series of books, and a spokesperson for your and my and his Second Amendment rights codified and guaranteed in the Constitution as a right and inalienable right given to us by our creator, the one, the only Dan was who was traveling somewhere in Florida.
Speaker 2: Dan, how are you hey?
Speaker 7: Good Garry Jeff, thanks for having me on the show. And I've been referred to as a son of something, but not a son of a on there's usually another word. So thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're quite welcome. So what are you doing in Florida? You're running guns?
Speaker 4: Well, I did.
Speaker 7: No no gun running today. I did an event for so the Second Ament of Freedom Freedom Rally.
Speaker 6: Okay, and that was in.
Speaker 7: That was in Summerfield. Summerfield, yep. And now we're so I spoke at that event, we did I did a book signing, and now we're headed to Tampa and we're going to try to hopefully get a nice day on the beach. I don't know, it seems like it's still going to be kind of cold here in Florida, but uh, just vacationing now for the next few.
Speaker 1: Days, just to make us jealous, sunning on the beach. All right, Well, Dan, you just attended the Second Amendment rally that you were talking about speaking there, and you go to a lot of these around the country. It's it's it's kind of escapes my memory. Has there ever been a mass shooting at a rally like that of Second Amendment gun loving, god fearing Americans.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think they're you.
Speaker 7: Know, no, no one of the things that I say, because I, like I said, I speak at all the big events like the Goals event. Second Amendment Foundation has their their big event, and so I speak at a lot of these big un rights events, and I sometimes will get on stage and say, welcome to the safest place in the in the country. Because that's exactly what it is. With all those gun owners there, you are actually in the safest place because a mass shooting or anything like that will will never happen. And if, if anything, if anybody had the the the uh you know, the the I don't know, I don't know what you call it, the golf to do it, they would be stopped rather quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, no, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I mean you you may, you may pop off one round, but then you've got about one hundred guns pointed right at you making sure that the threat is vanquished.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Well, And Robert, Robert Highland said it, he said, you know what was his uh what was his quote? An armed society is a polite society. Sure, and that's really true.
Speaker 2: All right now.
Speaker 1: There is a push and we had Savannah Maddis on earlier tonight who's a Kentucky legislator in the state House, and she is pushing for constitutional carry for eighteen year olds in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and also against the red flag laws that continue to circulate through the legislators around the country in different states, depending on where you're at. That gets a lot of traction in Kentucky. Hopefully prayer for Lly not. But again we've talked about this many times before, Dan, but explain a red flag law so people aren't misled and think that this is something that could stop someone who shouldn't have a gun from owning one and using it. Well, why are red flag laws so I don't know, misdirected.
Speaker 7: Well, they're probably twenty some state eighteen nineteen twenty state something like that who have these red flag laws. What they're called, what they're called extreme risk protection orders. So they name them that because they want you to think that, you know, if you're under if you're under extreme risk by these dangerous gun owners, and the protection orders there to help keep you safe. You know, the politicians want to make sure that everybody that they're keeping everybody safe. What it really is, we call them red flag laws, and what it really is is a gun compassation without due process. So a judge can sign off on the confiscation of someone's guns, and most often based on nothing more than an accusation. And sometimes they can be anonymous accusations where you know, somebody can deem you a threat to society, and cops judge and sign off. Cops and come in and take your guns and figure it out later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't. They don't have to. They don't.
Speaker 1: They don't have to prove or provide any evidence that you are a threat to anyone, just as hearsay. If you've got a neighbor who doesn't particularly like the way you mow your lawn and he knows you've got guns, he could report you in these states that you are threatening him and that you have guns, and they can come out and confiscate your guns without any hearing or anything. And then you've got to go after the fact to prove your innocent, which is a violation of your rights in this country. As I understand it, You're you're innocent until proven guilty. But this makes someone guilty without any proof at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's not only a violation of your Second Amendment, it's a violation of your Fourth Amendment and your fourteenth Amendment. You know, no do process and then illegal teachers, search and seizure. So yeah, so it's it's terrible. And then what's the Democrats really They would love to have a national red flag law. We've managed to keep them keep them at bay for now, but they would love to have a national red flag law and UH serialization and registration of all firearms, which is what they use the ghost guns scared to try to do, try to scare everybody into thinking that they need to support serialization. But serialization has been you know, the homemade firearms has been a national tradition since our founding, and there's no U be serialized and everybody's numbers, everybody's guns serial numbers so you can track them. They would love to have those two in place, so you could accompiscate the guns through red flag laws and UH be able to track them down and locate them through the through the serialization and registration.
Speaker 1: Are there any new laws that you and your your folks think are especially heinous that have come on the books this year around the country. Have you been looking at the new gun laws, because there are I know a guy who puts out an annual book every January and list the new gun laws in every state. I don't know why we need more gun laws, but apparently some legislators think we do.
Speaker 6: UH.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you know that's cropped up that makes you go, well, somebody's got to stop that. What's going on in your home state of New York?
Speaker 7: Well, New York recently took not too long ago, took the firearm background check from the federal government, which is where it was protected, your information was protected from being put on a gun registry. Well, New York State Kathy Hocheld decided that she wanted to take that background check in house to the state Police Department, where there's no controls over what they do with that list of gun owners. So we can only assume that she is collecting creating a gun registry in the state of New York. Not only that, while taking that the firearm background checks in house to the state Police Department, also created an ammunition background check. So you go and buy a bullet and you're going to be put on a list in New York. So we're fighting against that stuff. Joe Biden encouraged the ATF to create what's called a zero tolerance policy, which means that gunailers, you know, firearm retailers, it's the slightest mistake on paperwork and they could get their license to sell revoked. So that was the zero colonist policy. Now we've got new people in Trump's cabinet, and we've got new people in these organizations, these agencies, and we're starting to turn some of that stuff around. So I think a GPAM BONDI is going to do some pretty good stuff reorganizing and getting rid of some of the gun grabbers out of the APF.
Speaker 1: Well, freedom is not free, and we must maintain our liberty, Dan, at all costs, and the Second Amendment of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights is a big part of that liberty. It's a big part of why this country even exists. And I'm glad that you're fighting a good fight every day out.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's the most important one because with that out our guns, we don't have anything. We don't have any freedoms, and that's the only thing that keeps these keeps these tyrants under control, and they we have to remind them who they work for. And our Second Amendment was designed to specifically do that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it ain't about deer hunting, but that's a nice byproduct for a lot of people. Thank you so much, good gun bad Guy dot com. Check him out there and on YouTube, loaded mic podcasts and the other things that Dan is maybe coming to a city near you, which that rally will be the safest place you can be in that city.
Speaker 2: I guarantee it. Thank you, Dan, take care.
Speaker 8: Thanks Thanks Bob, you got it.
Speaker 1: It's the nightcap and we're rolling. Let's keep it going. Seven hunderd WLW favorite people on the telephone to spend a little bit of time with us on this special holiday nightcap, Gary Jeff with Peter Bronson for this half hour on seven hundred WLW PTE been a long time. I'm glad that you made time for us on this very important holiday in American history. And I want to start by saying hello, Hello, Hello, and then it's great to have you, and also by talking about your thoughts as a man who's written a lot of books about history, primarily local history of Promised Land and the Man who Saved Cincinnati, and then the other books about later on in this area was developing and forming and things that were going on in Cincinnati and around the area. But Memorial Day is of course a day set aside to remember those who literally gave their all for their country, for their fellow man. There's no greater thing than to laid down your life for another man, for your brother. But it is so overlooked, and you know, I'm not decrying the obvious.
Speaker 2: I guess I am.
Speaker 1: But in that do people still grasp the significance of this holiday, Peter or this remembrance.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think less and less.
Speaker 4: I think that our generation, yours and mine, are the last generation that grew up with the greatest generation as our parents. And we know these stories because many of them were shared with us by uncles and fathers and maybe grandfathers who served in the first the Great War of World War One. But this was the family tales and folk history that was passed on to us that gave us such a great appreciation of what was accomplished in World War Two. Especially as the baby boomers age and move on, we don't have many around anymore who are really have that connection. And maybe one of the biggest reasons we've lost that connection is because we went to the all volunteer army, and people from all walks of life do not serve anymore the way they used to when we had the draft, and you know that there's not that connection to the military, to the men who served. The whole purpose and meaning of that. I think a lot of that's been lost.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of your focus probably was reaffirmed when you were the years you worked with the Honor Flight here in the Tri State.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely. The first thing I thought of when you brought up this question was the Honor Flight books that I worked on with Cheryl pop and Honor Flight Try State, Because well, I went along on the Honor flights. We collected stories from local veterans, many of whom I are well known in our community, and many others who were never known that well in our community, but who had unbelievable stories to tell about their service in World War Two in the Pacific and the Atlantic theaters. Many of them were telling stories about landing on Normandy Beach and D Day. Others talked about fighting on Guattalcanal. The things that they went through and the victories they won. For our way of life today and the freedom that we enjoy is just it's something everybody should read. And those first person stories are really gripping.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks to you.
Speaker 1: I have the books, and you're right, and there were passages as I was reading them the tears just started to well up in my eyes. Yeah, and I was like, Okay, I really want to read on here, but I need to like get myself together because everything's out of focus for a second. It was just that gripping and that impactful for me, not being you know, anyone who had a direct connection except my freedom to World War Two and the veterans that you were taking to Washington, d c. To honor them for their service. But you think about all of the ones and they tell the tales of the men that they served with, the women and men they served with that did not come back, and we're not allied to bring that history to the next generation. And I think that is part of what's being lost. As you mentioned the Baby Boom generation aging out and passing on. Are we not passing on enough of this to today's generation? Is that the problem is part of the problem on our shoulders, that we don't emphasize this enough, the sacrifice that has been made.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: I think that there's there has been a problem, and it started really with our generation when we had the draft resistance. As a young nineteen year old who was eighteen, nineteen year old, who was under threat of being drafted, I was certainly a.
Speaker 2: Part of that.
Speaker 4: I resisted the draft, not in the way that I refused to go, but I was fortunate to get a high lottery number, but a lot of my friends and a lot of my age group, in our generation, we were the break that it stopped being willing in many cases, not across the board, because so many of our generation also served with honor, but there were so many of us who who really refused and wouldn't go, and that really signaled it a real change, a cultural change in our country. And when I look at what those veterans of world or to the stories they tell when they get together are completely different than what they've ever told their families or in most cases anyone else. Because the only people that really understand what they're talking about our other veterans who were there, and when they get together, the stories start to flow and they're just amazing. And they had a feeling of honor and brotherhood sacrifice that I don't think most of us can even understand anymore unless we've had the privilege of serving like they didn't.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm just a little bit younger than you, and I'm even further removed from that feeling of, you know, service, like it's my obligation as a citizen to do this. Vietnam was over by the time I was eighteen, and out of high school in nineteen seventy nine, they weren't actively drafting people anymore. Of course, I registered for Selective Service, but never got called, and I never thought twice about actually volunteering to serve, partly because of the stigma, I guess of that draft dodge or era and the draft resistance era and the Vietnam War that i'd grown up watching on television and going on. I don't know if I really want to be a part of this. But now I look back in retrospect, and I feel like I really miss something in my formative years as an American by not volunteering to be in one of the services and and spending some time beside my out of myself for for our country. I think it's more important now to me than ever. And and you know, I want to do whatever I can to help our nation out if there's any sacrifice I can make. But this today is about the people who made the ultimate sacrifice, obviously, and uh, and it's it's up to us to tell their tale since they can aunt.
Speaker 4: Well, you know the point that you may a point I thought was very interesting, which is that that the Vietnam generation, the men who did serve with Gallar and Vietnam were really the most unfortunate because they were denied that feeling of appreciation, the celebration of the returning hero.
Speaker 2: The pete I had.
Speaker 1: I had a Vietnam vet tell me once many years ago, he said, don't ever say thank you for your service, just say welcome home.
Speaker 6: Ed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And every time I encounter.
Speaker 1: A Vietnam Vet, that's that's how I greet them when I meet them, is welcome home. And they seem to really appreciate that because they.
Speaker 4: Didn't know that's a great, great way to show your appreciation. Many of the stories in the Honor flight books from the Vietnam veterans shared their total shock and dismay at what happened when they got back and how they were greeted and mistreated. In many cases, such as when they were demobilized and they came back and landed in the States, they were told to remove their uniforms and don't leave the base in a uniform because you'll be spit on and you will be abused and verbally scolded. And you know, we've kind of revised history to pretend that was a rare instance, but it's really not. You don't have to go very far asking these veterans about what it was like and I'll tell you. So that's that's pretty sad. But plus, we have generations now because we have volunteer armies who are not exposed to that. And if they choose to, you know, stay in college for seven or eight years and and go through life without ever understanding what it means to serve your country, then that's just that's fine. That seems to be more the norm than anything else.
Speaker 1: We'll take a quick break and come back more with Peter Bronson on Memorial Day evening on the Nightcap. I wanted to know what projects you're working on, if any, right now, because we always talk about your books and Chili Dog Press, and there's been so much good stuff, good material that you've generated the last gosh, the last decade that you know, people hear you on the air, and whether it's with me or with somebody else, they hear you describing your latest work. And the books just fly off the shelves and people are so appreciative that we were able to let them know about them. So what's going on with Peter Brownson? Are you working on anything currently?
Speaker 2: Pete.
Speaker 4: I'm working on about four different books for clients authors. Some are people that when their books come out, you're going to know who they are and you're going to be very excited about getting their books. Others are people who just always had a dream about writing a children's book or whatever, a biography or a mystery novel or adventure. So that's a lot of fun. And then I'm also working on my own book project, which right now is short stories, and these would be a lot like the books that I've already written, in other words, exploring local history and stories you don't know about our local history, people who made a huge impact on our region for good or ill, and the exciting adventures that we have all around us here in our past that we don't know about.
Speaker 1: I told somebody and they actually heard an interview that I did with you when Promised Land came out. They got the book, they said, man, this thing is a page turner. It's a barn burner. It's great. I couldn't put it down. Of course, he's a voracious reader too. But people love it, people always tell me. And of course the last one was the man who saved Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Correct, The last one was promised before that was man who saved Cincinnati. Right, So we went from Civil War and then we kind of went back farther in time to the Revolutionary War of the first people who came to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: They're great books.
Speaker 1: There really are phenomenal books, Pete and thank You.
Speaker 4: I just kind of fun is hearing from people who read them and they have questions or they'll share stories, for example, with Promised Lam the latest one. I've heard from a lot of people who had ancestors whose families were among those first one hundred or so people who dared to come here when this was extremely dangerous. But that's really exciting to hear those stories.
Speaker 1: Peter Bronson is a believing Christian, believing in Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, the Lord and Savior.
Speaker 2: Of Pete and me too. I am.
Speaker 1: I am with Peter in that, And this is something I struggle with all the time as a talk show host doing you know, current events, topics, and many of them political. Is that what I what I have had to keep in mind as I become more and more aware of my spiritual self, is that I get worked up about stuff sometimes that I shouldn't be worked up about at all and get exercised over things that in the ultimate scheme of things, in the eternal scheme of things, don't matter a hill of beans.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you fight that?
Speaker 1: And how do you get back to center yourself so you don't think that every political war is one you need to be fighting, and every argument is not one you need to be having. Personally, I just am curious for my own edification.
Speaker 4: Well, first, I think it helps for all of us to be aware that what you described, this constant feeling of anxiety that people get about the they have to stay in tune with the latest cable news and know exactly what's going on at all times, because every cable show has a little breaking news across the bottom. Alert, Alert, Alert, And this is be aware. This is the business model of our media today. It is no longer simply to inform you or give you an opportunity to know what's going on in your community. The business model is to keep people at a high level of anxiety, to basically be the merchants of fear and worry, and to keep us all wound up so that we feel like we can't We have to be constantly in tune with media twenty four to seven, and it's not healthy. It's divided into red and blue media, and neither one of them wants to have any common facts together because that would destroy their business model. So the less keeps their crowd ginned up with one side of the story, and the right does the same thing on the other side. Now, all that said, if you're aware of that, I would recommend, for one thing, take an occasional fast from media. Tune it out, especially when you're trying to get some quiet.
Speaker 2: Time or downtime.
Speaker 4: Don't let the phone or the TV or the radio keep you on the edge of your seat, because it's not a healthy place to be. On the other hand, that said, I would say the most important thing is remember who is in control, and that the good guys win in the end because God is on his throne and he is in control, not me. A lot of these things that you were talking about and we've been describing in the news, they are so far beyond our control. It's ridiculous. What do I possibly have anything in my life that can affect one way or the other Fill in the blank the latest news story. It's beyond our control. So amen, in control of that, the lords in control of that. And so I have I have a risk band. I've given you one yes, And I pass these out at my book signings. And it's a Bible verse that I really love. It's Philippians four sixty seven, and this verse says, be anxious for nothing but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, Let your requests.
Speaker 2: Be made known to God. And the peace of God that surpasses.
Speaker 4: All understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ.
Speaker 2: Amen. Wow, that is such a promise.
Speaker 1: That's that's a perfect that's a perfect way to end this. I mean, I'm glad. Oh, I'm glad you had scripture ready. This is wonderful. It's just what I need, just what I needed. Peter, great, Thank you so much. God, God bless you and keep you and we will talk soon, all right, and bless.
Speaker 4: You too, Gary, Jeff, and have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 1: I think I'm enjoying one right now. I appreciate it. It's the nightcap and we're not done yet. So even though this is a somber Reverend holiday for America, even to call it a holiday seems a little bit not quite right, but a grateful Memorial Day. I couldn't think of a better way to conclude tonight's special Memorial Day nightcap than with a conversation with my old friend Andy Furman.
Speaker 2: Plus he was oddly available.
Speaker 1: So I'm grateful not only for those who give the ultimate sacrifice, Andy, but that you are almost always available to me. And I don't know what that says about you exactly, but I know you're my friend and you do anything for me, including be on my radio show. So thank you so much. I am grateful to you, Andy Furman.
Speaker 6: I'm only a phone call away. You make it sound like you know.
Speaker 8: Nothing else going on in my life, but that's okay. I appreciate a happy Memorial Day to you. When yours you know you say it's a summer day. I think it's a happy day because they created freedom for everybody. But again, as a ninety nine percent of the people who celebrate this holiday are happy for a three day weekend. They grill out and they just shoot a fireworks. That's what they think the holiday is. It needs to be taught other the more. And I guarantee if they pull the school kids, at least in the Cincinni public schools. I don't think many of them would even know what the.
Speaker 6: Holiday is all about.
Speaker 8: You know what, you know, you know what the schools they be out anyway.
Speaker 1: What's odd to me, Andy, is that people always say, in this day and time that this is the most divided our nation has ever been. And I think about the half million people who died in the Civil War. No, I think it's been more divided than this. And certainly this is not numero uno on the times in which the United States of America has been divided. We were two different countries for a few short years at one point and had to be mended back together, I wouldn't you say. And that's where Memorial Day or decor Ration Day, the original name for this holiday came from, was the reunion of our country. And remembering those on both sides, the North and the South, and there were fine people on both sides. Believe me, they were just defending a way of life. And even though it was ignorant in the South that they wanted to continue slavery and slaving a whole species of man, the fact is there were a lot of honest, hardworking people who just got drawn into it. And wound up giving their lives. And that's what Memorial Day ultimately springs from, and that's what it's originally about. So do you think that America is the most divided it's ever been right now today?
Speaker 8: Well, I think the people that say that they're very foolish and uneducated because they.
Speaker 6: Don't know the history of America. Number one.
Speaker 8: I think most of the people are saying that are the ones that are doing the dividing. Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 1: They talk about it, so they try and create this false division. I walk right every day in this land like you do. Do you see people at war with each other on your daily walk? I mean, and I'm in different environments and you know, I'm in that bar three four days a week, and I see people of all skin colors, all kinds of different persuasions as far even sexual orientation, and they all get along. I don't know where this talk of being divided comes from. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 8: I usually to kind of assume in a little bit under term divided, I think more opinionated. And I'll tell you why. I say that, because I think social media has created that. Social media has provided an outlet for people to basically say and spew what they want, what they don't want, you know. And I talk about sports as well. And there was a story just the other day. I turned the game on them, just Chattel surfing and the Atlanta Dream was playing the Dallas team in the WNBA and Brittany Grinder as you know, who was.
Speaker 6: Held hostage in Russia food.
Speaker 8: While she plays now for the Atlanta Dream And she was interviewed at halftime and in the middle of the interview, in the middle she walked away from the interviewer. And this is on CBS Sports, not the network, but CBS Sports Network, and she walked away from the interviewer and she turned the face at halftime to the referee, the official and said get it f and right on live TV.
Speaker 6: Then you about to the interview.
Speaker 2: So I'll say, I scratched.
Speaker 6: My head and say why. And you know, to me, I'm not apprude.
Speaker 8: And I've heard those turns before I heard the F bomb. And I tell you what, I would not be surprised that even if college professors are using it in lecture hole right now on this day and age, politicians have used it in speeches. So I'm not that a shame to say that. I've heard it or, as I say, approved to say it at times. But I think there's a time and the place, and I think that for a basketball player who has a stage, a platform where young kids, high school kids will hear and see that, they'll think it's correct.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to watch step further.
Speaker 8: The kid help the the kid on the Indiana paces who had the chokes sign Halliburton the other day, Tyre's Halliburton after the Knicks lost that game in game two, put his hand around his neck and get the choke sign. And the next did choke. First of all, he couldn't even be creative enough to do a thing on his own.
Speaker 6: He copied it from Reggie Millie years ago. But he did that, and again I look.
Speaker 8: At it and I laugh. I find it somewhat humorous. But again, there's gonna be high school kids. You're gonna go to a high school basketball game and see a high school kid putting his hand around his throat when a team that he plays chokes and loses the game. I don't think it's a It's a good showing, that's all I'm saying. I don't think it's good, and maybe maybe I'm wrong, Maybe the commissioner of the NBA and WNBA need to step in and do something about it.
Speaker 1: Really well, you know what, there's lots of situations where if you make a gun symbol with your fingers, or you act like you're slashing someone's throats, it's called out and sometimes those people are put on the carpet where they show.
Speaker 2: Would be J. D.
Speaker 8: Morant from the Memphis Grizzlies. He's been fined several times with the gun make a three point shot and he takes his thinger ound and emulates a gun and he's ben find several times.
Speaker 1: There's a fine line between freedom of speech, which we all enjoy, which says the government cannot limit or put us in jail for what we say, and then those things that truly do insight violence and as you say, influence people who are watching in a negative way to where they think that is acceptable in a civil society.
Speaker 6: So that, you know what, you're a very interesting point.
Speaker 8: You talk about that big umbrellas a freedom of speech which people kind of hide and use.
Speaker 6: You know, all freedom of.
Speaker 8: Speech I could do.
Speaker 6: Well, Yeah, there is freedom.
Speaker 8: Of speech, Thank goodness, in our country because of the people who fought for it. However, when you work for an organization, when you're part of a a of a of corporation, you have to apply by the rules of the corporation. Absolutely, best player in the National Basketball Association, you have to follow some rules. I mean, if you have a franchise in McDonald's, all right, and you think that it might be better served if you own this franchise and serve your hamburgers on a bagel rather than a sesame seed bun, No, you can't do it. Part of the deal of McDonald's when you buy into a franchise, did you follow franchise e rules that you serve your hamburgers on a sesame seed bun?
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: That's why McDonald's has been so successful because their uniformity. People know what they're going to get when they go there, and that's why they continue to go there.
Speaker 2: And that's why McDonald's business.
Speaker 8: When you go to McDonald's, you're going to see the people behind the counter wearing those McDonald's uniforms with the McDonald's logo. You're not going to see a guy wearing a shirt that says if you want it.
Speaker 1: No, No, you will not, absolutely, you know. And it's the same thing when you talk about freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is not threatening Jewish students in a university. It is not keeping them from getting to the library or their dorm or making them feel viola because of violence.
Speaker 6: Act violence.
Speaker 1: Violence is not freedom of speech and it shouldn't be tolerated in this country in any regard because of any political affiliation. And yet some of these college campus presidents and some of some people who are you know, insisting on these movements and these radical movements that you know, they point the finger in spotlight one group that they don't like for political reasons, and they use violence against them or vandalism. That is not freedom of speech as it is defined by our constitution and should not be tolerated period.
Speaker 8: Okay, I want to talk about Okay, and this is great, but I want to lighten it up a little bit and talk about sports because I do that because I feel absolutely I'm not that smart anyway, but I'm a little smarter in the sports arena than anything else. And I will say this, first of all, there's a lot of history on Memorial Day.
Speaker 6: What the history is?
Speaker 8: They say, the saying is that the team in baseball, major League Baseball's in the first place a Memorial Day is going to independence, all right. So that's an old wives tale in baseball. Okay, that's number one. Number two, I want to throw this out, and well the other.
Speaker 1: No, statistically, how often does that hold out that's the team?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's a good, good question. I will check on that next time you not chat. However, since nineteen forty seven, believe it or not, the National Basketball Association has always played a game on Christmas Day, all right. Since twenty twenty, the National Football League's played the game on Christmas Day and in two games, and this year they're going to have a triple header on Friday, December twenty fifth, Christmas Day, which basically pushes aside the NBA because obviously, you know as well as I do, everybody's going to watch the football game or not the basketball game for various reasons.
Speaker 6: Number one, you know.
Speaker 8: People in non NFL cities still watch the NFL. People in non NBA cities tend not to watch the NBA. For example, we live in Cincinnati. You turn on the eleven o'clock or ten o'clock news for that matter, and watch the sports. They'll never get of an NBA score because no one cares. We don't have an NBA franchise. If you live in Salt Lake City, Utah, for example, they'll probably give NFL scores for various reasons, in particular.
Speaker 6: Probably gambling, whatever it may be. But in the NFL is national. NBA's regional. Okay.
Speaker 8: So the commission of the NBA came out the other day Adam Silver and said competition is good, this is okay. When he was quizzed about the NFL and I was going through on Christmas Day.
Speaker 6: First of all, he's full of you.
Speaker 8: Know, competition is good, but it's not good for him because they basically squeezed the NBA out of Christmas Day. Yet I'm an NBA fan. I love the NBA. I always wanted to see a franchise here in Cincinnati, and it's not going to happen. However, I wrote a letter yesterday to Adam Silver suggesting an idea. I want to run it by you because you're the man of reason.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 8: The National Hockey League has done a lot this year. They really have to have that Final four thing with foreign countries playing.
Speaker 6: That was great.
Speaker 8: They planned Christmas Day outdoors, which is unbelievable. They've done a lot of things to promote the sport, and the NHL is really thriving.
Speaker 2: Really believe they are.
Speaker 8: So I wrote to Adam Silver and say, here's what you got to do to come back the NFL on Christmas Day because I'm a big NBA fan. The cities of Miami, Los Angeles, and one other southern city which I can't remember right now. It was La or La Phoenix on Miami. They all have franchises on Christmas Day, you should.
Speaker 6: Play the game outdoors. I think they could do it.
Speaker 8: I think Miami on Christmas Day, Phoenix and La could be a climate good enough to have an outdoor game on Christmas Day, which would really somewhat combat the interest of the NFL on that day, but people would tune it in just for the curiosity factor. Really, Madam Silver writes me back, do.
Speaker 2: You want my opinion on what you just said?
Speaker 6: Please do it and you could make fun of it and say stupid.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not gonna say it's stupid, because again, I'm all about inclusion, especially on this day. Andy on Memorial there. I'm about it uniting, not dividing. I say to that that the NFL will win regardless, the NFL will win over the NBA and the NHL, no matter what the NBA does on a particular day like Christmas Day, for example. What I do remember as a kid, when I was more of an NBA fan, and this was in the eighties, I had a portable black and white TV that ran on batteries and it was just you know, rabbit ears, you know. And We're at a picnic on Memorial Day with my family, and I brought my little TV along with me because I wanted to watch the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers play on Memorial Day while we were having our picnic. And nobody objected to that, and I had the TV right there. I think Boston creamedom or something by thirty points, but as a NBA playoff game, and I wanted to see it. And that's fine on Memorial Day. But let me tell you something. The NBA season, for a lot of people that are just mildly interested in not rabbit NBA fans, does not begin until the NFL season is over after the Super Bowl. After the Super Bowl anybody who might pay attention to the NBA who's not a rabbit. NBA fan is not going to start paying attention until February or even March, as we get closer to the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 6: I agree with everything you say.
Speaker 1: The NFL will rule over the NBA until they're not playing games in the NFL, and then you know, maybe they get a few more eyeballs.
Speaker 8: Right, and especially the NFL is going to dominate on Christmas, saying, no matter what the NBA does, that they could play naked, they still would dominate. And I'll tell you why Christmas is zooming into the playoffs situation. The playoffs teas will be shocking for playoffs, Oh absolutely around Christmas time. So that's bigger even than the regular NFL game. This is huge. So I'm telling you if the NBA players played naked that day, that the NFL would still outdrawing really well, I do it.
Speaker 1: I think that would even further decrease the NBA's ratings if they played in the nude.
Speaker 8: No, but I will say that if they played the game outdoors, I think if the ratings were two to one or three to one, maybe they could decrease it to two to one, maybe because out of curiosity, people would want to see what's going on, especially maybe if one NFL game is like a route you know, it's like, you know, really out of control, people will switch the dial and go back to the NBA.
Speaker 6: Well unless they unless.
Speaker 1: Unless they raise the hoop to like twelve feet or whatever. Then you have the added factor, like say golf on playing outdoors on Christmas Day, even in the southern climbs, you still have the possibility of wind or rain at complicate complicating the action a little bit, which might make it more interesting.
Speaker 2: You know that three pointer.
Speaker 1: Is not gonna be not gonna be very actors of the outside bringing.
Speaker 8: Down probably cover the court with some sort of covering. However, how do you cover Well, maybe you can't cover the fans, because if they're in a regular stadium where they have like the facade coming over that cover the seating, they can probably work. They probably could some sort of a tent over the court in preparation for a rain. They probably could. But you know what, I promise you our party won't get get any feedback whatsoever.
Speaker 6: But if I do, you'll be the first to know.
Speaker 8: I'll let you know if adam civil rights, so close.
Speaker 1: Me back, and I'll let you know if anybody cares after they listen to this.
Speaker 2: So you have written.
Speaker 1: You have written another op ed to the Cincinnati Inquirer, which again is something that sadly nobody pays attention to, but you do.
Speaker 6: And what don't knock the Inquirer.
Speaker 8: I still believe that there's a hearty soul of group of people that read the Inquirer. They love the newspapers, they love to they love to read even online or hold it becare's a lot of people who like to feel and touch a newspaper. I'm one of them, all right, So don't I'm not the young. I don't think anybody under the age of forty does. But I think a lot of people do still like to read a newspaper.
Speaker 1: So as you're feeling your newspaper, what do you want to read when you open up the the op ed section to see if your letter's there?
Speaker 2: What did you write about?
Speaker 6: Andy Well?
Speaker 8: I wrote about the situation of Cincinnati, which I love living here, and I love the fact that we have a lot of people that want to make the place better, make the city better, and their dreamers out there but you know what, before you dream, you know, let the dream come true and then talk about it. For example, I go back in history, because I've been here a while. I remember one a former I think it was a city council member, not going to mention names to embarrassed people. He wanted to get the Olympics here, right, I mean, and after a while you get these people.
Speaker 6: That just blowharts. It's just open their mouth.
Speaker 8: To maybe hear themselves talk, and nothing ever happens, so the Olympics never came. After that, we heard someone say they wanted to get a college football bowl game here and call it the Chili Bowl and maybe have skyline chili spots.
Speaker 6: Not a bad idea.
Speaker 8: We have the facilities where they could play it in. They probably could play it in pay Course Stadium. But again, keep the mouth shut and get it done and then make the major announcement. You know, I'm going to say something that a former football coach who used to roam the sidelines on the Cincinnati Bengals sidelines used to say, his name is Marvin Lewis. I see better than I hear, and I'll add to that, I see better than I hear and than I read okay, because now we're into two more situations. Now. The city of Cincinnati is talking about getting the NFL Draft here, right, the NFL Draft a wonderful event. When and where will it happen? And you know what, is there a committee? Are you doing anything about it? You're tossing out these words to make yourself feel good that you're a good guy, a good person to help promote Cincinnati, but you're not doing anything about it. Really, And it's another one now, the last and lace less and not least at all. There's this arena thing which is going on for the last twenty five years. Blame me as long as I know, as Almo as I tried to get an NBA team here, and I'm one of those guys I tried. Not only did I try, I had the investor. And as soon as the investor came to Cincinnati and saw what old Riverfront Stadium the Riverfront Coliseum looked like, he got back on the plane in the west.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 8: So you could call me a blowhard as well if you want to. But we had the investor, we had the guy who wanted to buy an NB eighteen here and move it to Cincinnati. But we couldn't because there was no place to play, right, So let's get back.
Speaker 6: To this arena, all right. You got a committee here who wants.
Speaker 8: To get an arena, a new arena, and all I hear about is like we wanted downtown, we wanted at the banks, we wanted with TQ wellers, we wanted in the suburbs. You know what, stop it. I don't want to hear arena anymore because you know why, because the individual and to a group of people or corporate entity that buys that arena, they're gonna decide where it goes. Because the who weather pays for it is going to decide where they want to put their arena. To stop making decisions where it's going to go. Go out there and get a group of people or an equity group to buy the arena. That's what you need to do.
Speaker 1: And don'ts and don't again, and don't again burden the taxpayers with building that arena where the city wants it. You're right, the people who are going to actually own the franchise are the ones that should decide. Andy. We got to end it there. I want to thank you for spending the last few minutes of Memorial Day with me.
Speaker 8: Well, like you say, I have nothing else to do anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's been too cold to swim.
Speaker 6: In your pool, all right, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, A grateful Memorial Day to you, my friend Andy Furman on the nightcap, as we conclude on this most hallowed of United States holidays.
Speaker 2: Back in a moment to wrap up,