Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome the game breaking News with me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. On this episode, we're going to be talking about Indie getting a date for PS five and Crados getting a new adventure this year. Maybe we have Emma Fife on the show, so it's going to be a good one. Let's get right into it by saying hello to Emma Fife. Emma, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm great.
Speaker 3: It is actually Monday this time, chat, so don't panic.
Speaker 1: Period of timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've repaired the timeline. It's Monday. My one of my.
Speaker 3: Cats is here as as per usual. Well, he's got a lot to say about video games, certainly, so yeah, just you know, great, great to be to be back in the groove. Also, whose hand is that making coffee?
Speaker 1: Do we know?
Speaker 2: In the power block?
Speaker 1: Though? Oh no, I assumed it was Jan? Is it not Jan? Jan? That's what Jeff Grub? That hand? You know that my melanin is a little bit more melanin' gonna say.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say Jan was a little browner than that.
Speaker 1: Cameras and lights and skin color. Oh no, you know what I didn't even notice the color of the arm making the coffee. I just was like coffee. That's jan I'm into more things. Jeff Grubb. Okay, all right, I take back my happy belated birthday. Now, Okay, I mean if you insist, I mean I haven't seen any evidence yet, but okay, it's fine. Sure, I apologie guys for everything doing.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm good.
Speaker 3: I I went to h the Almondson Theater this weekend, which is in downtown Los Angeles at the Music Center, and uh, I got to see Sailor Moon the super Live, which is the current iteration of Sailor Moon Musical that is touring in North America. This is the first time that they've ever toured any of those shows in North America. It's a Japanese cast obviously, and you know this is this is something like probably the.
Speaker 2: Fortieth Sailor Moon musical, So you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's about time. It's about you know, the webs won. That's That's all I'm gonna say. Also, the level this is the most enthusiastic like the because again this is a theater that this is where touring you know, Broadway productions and things will come to this theater order pantages.
Speaker 2: I prefer Amensen across the board. But it was very funny to be there.
Speaker 3: And it's like I just saw Once upon a Mattress there last December, with like Sutton Foster in it, who's obviously very famous and very famous in the theater world. This Sailor Moon musical, This ninety minutes no intermission. Half of it is a jpop concert. You would have thought we were at a Taylor Swift concert. The way that this audience was reacting.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that just reminds me. I saw like a Instagram reel or and it turned in Japan and it turned out to be Boa. I can hear myself. It's oh, there we go. I think I fixed here it is turned. I hear it again. Where's it coming from? Now? It's like tripled over? Is it? Is it coming through on the feed j inc? Because I can't I can't think at all with this. Did that do it? I'm going to try to mute you and so okay, there I've muted Jan on the surfer level there, so I cannot hear him anymore. Oh right, well, there we go. Anyway, the lady turned out to be singing the song was the lady who originally sang a Cruel Angels thesis.
Speaker 2: For all amazing.
Speaker 1: The people in the restaurant were like breaking down in tears once they realized what was happening. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I'm the I'm not going to say that this musical was good by it like like musical standards, but I would be lying if I said I didn't cry through most of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was amazing. It sounds fantastic. Happy before you're glad you got to do that. Let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Greb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game breaking news, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's break some gaming news with Indiana Jones in The Great Circle is going to launch in April on PS five. This is from Georgiang at GameSpot. Bethesda and Machine Games have announced that Indiana Jones and The Great Circle will launch for PS five on April seventeenth. They also released a new trailer featuring voice actors Troy Baker and Nolan North opening up a box containing a glowing blue hue, referring to the PlayStation's primary color. Those who preorder the game will receive the Last Crusade Pack, which includes a traveling suit outfit for Indy as well as a excuse me a Lion tamer whip. The Premium edition comes with a digital artbook and a Temple of Doom outfit, as well as the copy of the game in either a digital or physical format. Hey, yeah, we've known this is coming. It's got a date. This seems like if this is the rollout that Microsoft goes for a it's games going forward. I think it's kind of a best of both world situation right where. Yeah, look, you know these things aren't selling a ton on Xbox because there are fewer people therefore, sure, and a lot of people do have game Pass. Although you know, Microsoft's okay, if you're buying the game or going through game pass one or the other on their system, and then what we're six months later, not even really not even I think, yeah it is on December, right, so not even six months later we're getting on PlayStation five yeah, like three, five, four five ish yeah, something right.
Speaker 2: Months yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is I think a cool move. I think it's going to work out and in favor of like kind of everyone involved, and people are going to get to play it what I think is a very very good game. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that the point that you bring up here about the rollout of Okay, well this had it's sort of window of exclusivity with Microsoft and now is moving into being available on PlayStation, which again we knew was going to happen.
Speaker 2: This to me is I think the way you.
Speaker 3: Do timed exclusivity now because it feels like I mean, particularly with an Xbox Microsoft situation, because again it's like when it comes to consoles, people who are in the market to get these games that are console exclusives, they tend to be PlayStation as opposed to Xbox. And again it's like is it Xbox because that encompasses all Microsoft, which then makes it available on you know, PCs and things like that.
Speaker 2: So I think that, you know, again, this is a smart way to do it.
Speaker 3: It is like the exact amount of time that Microsoft can afford, and this is this is how things shall be going forward.
Speaker 1: Yep. I and I think this is how it goes with Perfect Dark and Fable and everything else where, you know, and then you start taking some older games that were in that that came out during that period where you're like, we're not going to release anything on PS five, so here pretty soon Starfield's I think, yeah, it just makes a lot of sense, and I think that it will be a situation where Microsoft gets the most out of it while everyone continues to get a lot a lot more games for the system than they would have beforehand. You know, in the past, I guess we would have like, you know, for a port like this coming to a different system much later. You know, we haven't had a ton of examples of that, but you could see them doing a situation where it's like, oh, this is the Game of the Year edition, here's all the DLC and there's some of that. But I don't think they're trying to position this as a relaunch like this is kind of just a continuance of the launch we just did in December, So then that gives them another opportunity then later to this holiday have a new package of the Game of the Year Edition for Xbox, and they can kind of just go back and forth between these things and maximize the return on a big game like this. It gives me hope that you know, these games are big, they are expensive, but by kind of bringing down these walls, we can't expect to continue to get games of this scale from Microsoft and its developers. Like this is making that whole acquisition and everything they've done for all those times, all that time investing in games, feel like, Okay, now it's all financially viable, right, yes, absolutely, Well see, we'll see how it goes forward. But I would expect them to replicate this with most of their games from now on. All right, So that's the Microsoft side of things. Over at PlayStation over the weekend, I was I kept getting asked about God of War Emma because going into that state of play that was in was that in February, I think it was in February where there were rumors going around, Hey, God of War something's happening with God of War, And I just kind of saw those rumors, and you saw that some people were thinking it would be a collection of God of War Greek games from PS two and onward, and I asked about that and I was told it would be in the state of play instead, it's if something happens with that, it would show up around the anniversary. Now I do think something was supposed to happen around the anniversary. Why it didn't, I don't know. My guess is plans changed, but I really don't have insight into exactly what went down there. That that said, I did like look into this, it's like, okay, people are like, hey, if you mentioned about Out of War, nothing happened, what's going on there? So I asked about it. And when I looked into it, it sounds like, you know, it doesn't sound like I was explicitly told there would be a God of Art side story this year starring Kredos and very likely having to do with the Greek settings, So Greek setting Credos, and you know, I was told side project something that is not like the equivalent of yes, not the next big Sony Santa Monica game, right, yeah, that, you know, I think that's that's pretty cool. And I you know, I think the reality is Sony probably looks at the God of War games being on PlayStation Plus as this is good enough, like they had they do have access to those games. Yeah, it's some of its streaming, but you know a lot of it is just on there and ready to go and playable, and so let's do something new with this. Does a side project starring Krados from the Greek God of War games sound enticing to you?
Speaker 3: I mean I think that again, you know, we're it's the twentieth anniversary of the first God of War, so it makes sense to me that again, it's like you would obviously these games are accessible, as you say, they are on PlayStation Plus, but.
Speaker 2: It does make sense to me that they would want to do something.
Speaker 3: And I think the idea of using the current God of War engine and exploring that Greek setting is a good idea.
Speaker 2: It's a good idea to me.
Speaker 3: This is a no lose situation because you have this whole newer fan base of God of War.
Speaker 2: Like I have not played the Greek setting games.
Speaker 3: I've only played the North setting games, so that is a as a lover of mythology and particularly somebody who's particularly well versed in Greek pathology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's super interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I know shit about that and I still find it interesting. Yeah, yeah, it works for both sides. Yeah, I think that you're right. This could serve as a sort of appetizer to get people interested in those games once again, and then that, you know, just feeds back into caring about Creatos as a character in his journey and the twenty eighteen series going forward, and then whatever they're going to do with Credos next, you know, or or with that story next. I guess they could do something with like a Tres Sure. Yeah, but you know, I think this makes sense in that these games are big, they do take a long time. Can like Sony Santa Monica team up with an outside studio aibleer, Hey, can you work on something in this setting with these characters that doesn't feel even feel like one of our games necessarily, but just takes these characters and keeps him in the public consciousness in a way that where we don't have to make another game, you know, alongside the one that's going to take us five excuse me five to seven years to actually produce. So it's a smart way to keep this franchise alive and to have more games coming from PlayStation studios than they would otherwise, because I think we just got into a rut there with the first party PlayStation where it's like, if it's not the biggest game in the world, we're not interested. And then that meant every game was taking five to seven years. So I think even that side of it is exciting to me that, Okay, they're willing to do this with God of War, that means they're willing to do this with anything. And so we could get like a bunch of different games of a bunch of different scales from Sony going forward, and I would welcome that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean in some ways, I remember, you know, another big time to PlayStation exclusive, not you know, Sony Santa Monica Studio, certainly a square, but it was with.
Speaker 2: Final Fantasies having remake.
Speaker 3: They then had that DLC that was featuring UFI that was fairly sizable and you know, not not certainly a full game by any stretch of the imagination, but wasn't nothing. And I definitely think that we could see something like that with God of War and something, you know that would be appreciated by fans.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, trying to think if there's anything else from like, you know, I guess the other side of this would be I don't think there is a God of War Greek collection remaster coming that would be a lot. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, like you know, remaster at least, I don't know if anything else is gonna happen with those things like got you, I mean, would it remake even make sense? You're right?
Speaker 3: Those So that's what I was thinking about too, was like, are we gonna persona this right? Because you know, like Atlas is remaking their their Persona five afying all of their old titles, not all, but it it feels like we're in the process of you know, certainly we got three reload and now we're thinking that there's going to be A four in that same sort of style. So I don't yeah, I don't know, Like is that something that Sony Santa Monica would want to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really don't know. You're right to be such a huge undertaking, huge undertaking, and then like, okay, so let's say Sony Santa Monica doesn't do it. They say they like work with one of the other studios there is Blue Point, right, Blue Point is they're capable of remastering or remaking I should say, just about anything. But that is God. It's like if they hadn't started that by now, doesn't make sense to like get into that now instead of like, yeah, well Blue like although you know, what is a bigger thing for Bluepoint to work on under the Sony umbrella than God?
Speaker 2: Right, there's not much, not really, so yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe that does make sense eventually, but like in this moment, a God of Ore remastered collection that you know that was Heaven rumor. I just what I've heard is that I don't think anything of that ILK is coming, So we'll see, all right, Bam Margera will actually be in Tony Hawk's three plus four after all, Yeah, after Tony Hawk intervened himself. It is claimed this comes from Jordan Midler at VGC, despite suggestions otherwise, It appears that Bam Margira will indeed be included in the upcoming Tony Hawk's pro Skater three plus four, according to a new claim. Earlier this year, when Activision first announced the remake collection, it also announced a list of skaters plan to be featured in the game. This list included every classic skater originally featured in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater three plus four except for one. Bam Margera, known for his roles in Jackass, Viva Labam, and the Tony Hawk series. He was seemingly missing now. During a live stream on the Live Club Skating podcast, It's been claimed that Bam was added to the game at the last minute after Hawk demanded he be included. The host Roger Bagley, basically said the game was already done. Tony called up Activision was like, hey, we're putting Bam in this thing, and they were like, we can't. He goes, no, you're gonna do it and basically made them fly Bam back out there to get body scanned and everything else and get him back in the game. So this might be news that's not out there yet, though, said the one co host and the other one's like, yes, this is you know. They don't care. Yeah, skaters don't care about video game secrets. Yeah. Yeah. I So this is interesting because I think everyone assumed, I assume Bam just wouldn't be involved, because I guess for people who don't Bammar Jerra was a skater who was on Jackass, which was a quasi reality TV show where people dudes would hurt each other because they can only make themselves vulnerable to one another through pain and they He had his own spinoff, Live, a reality TV show where he would terrorize his dad. Anyway, he has some substance abuse problems, which has caused him to be kind of a shithead a bunch shit times. And the assumption is no company wants to be associated with him because of his shittiness. And you know, I think he's got friends that are always trying to get him back on the wagon, and this seems to be one of those moments where it's like, oh, you know, I don't know what his state, and I'm not going to speculate about it. I think Tony's just trying to help his friend, right, That's just that's what this is. And I suppose that is better than them not helping him. And I, you know, him being in the game not being this game was never going to break it for me personally. But you know, I think Tony Hawk's a good person, at least seems to be. Yeah, I am him trying to help people.
Speaker 2: I think that you really hit the nail on the head there with.
Speaker 3: Tony Hawk being somebody who is on his side trying to help his friend, isn't given up on him. And you know, I I think that, uh, it's a uh it's a complicated.
Speaker 2: Issue, shall we say. You know, Bam is into uh some some real.
Speaker 3: Interesting points of view politically, shall we say, And uh, yeah, I mean Tony Hawk is.
Speaker 2: A is a is a is a good man.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think he's trying to just be like, hey, we have a lot of history here, so we'll we'll do it. Yeah. I mean, like, I don't follow Bammar Jered Dan and Chat says he apparently spends a lot of time drinking with hal Cogan at his bahar and that's a hell of a thing. And and then you know, like you said, Bam seems to be uh, you know, kind of a right wing crazy guy sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm like, okay, fair enough. I like, I have no I never liked Bammarjera, I never gave the show. I never liked him in Jackass. I never had much of an opinion about him one way or the other other than like, I just don't care being in this game is not going to ruin it for me and him originally not being in this game, I would not have blinked denied it that But again kind of going like looking at this through the view of Tony Hawk and him being like this is important to me, It's like, okay, that's it's your game, man. Yeah, And exactly, I guess I kind of like that about it, right, Emma, where it's like, you know, this is not just Tony Hawk hands off the wheeling like a my, hey, I guess someone's bringing back my game. Cool cash those checks. He still deeply cares about like this thing and wants to be the best version of it. And having his you know, one of the original skaters in there, bring make sure everyone's in there. It was important nice to see.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, And as you say, it's like it's the fact that he still has so much of an investment in this property.
Speaker 2: It's not just collecting a paycheck.
Speaker 3: He is actively involved and has a lot of creative sway on it because it is his name on it, and he does deeply care about it, so that I that I do appreciate yep.
Speaker 1: And then you know, we all have Bambar Jerris in our life, don't we? So if that's who Tony Hawk shows up for, oh well, oh well, all right. Hollow Night Silk Song's theme page gets a minor update, sparking faint hope from fans.
Speaker 2: Feel we want to be talking about this game again today.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of stories like this. I wonder what's going on? Probably nothing. This is from Jordy Miller at VGC. Hollow Night Silk Song. Fans are once again hoping a minor update on the sequel may point to more information coming soon. Hollow Night Silk Song was announced in February twenty nineteen last decade, and is due to be released for PCPs four, PS five, Switch, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and S. It will also be available on Game Pass on day one. The most significant update about the game in recent years came in May twenty twenty three, when Team Cherry confirmed it had been delayed. Such as the lack of news about the game and the ever growing fan base for the first game in the series, that any tiny piece of information about Silksong is treated with great interest from fans. Every Nintendo direct blah blah blah, but yeah, it gets picked up every time anything happens with this game is basically saying now. As shared across social media. A small update to the metadata of Hollow Knight's Silksong Steam page has caused the fans to stir clinging for new information about the game. Hollow Knight's Hollow Knight Silksong has now been opted in for g Force Now, meaning the game is eventually when it is eventually released, it will be compatible with that platform, so you can stream it on g Force now. Some hidden assets and legal information were also changed. While these moves are things a studio would do in advance of a re emergence of a game, it's not much to go on for a fan base that is desperate for news. One of the things that they did change though, was the copyright date. The year it originally said twenty nineteen. They crossed that out and now says the copyright is twenty twenty five. So you know, hey, this game probably is coming out this year. There's been a lot of small little tidbits like this. I don't know if any of that adds up to anything real, Emma, but it's probably coming out this year.
Speaker 3: I love to joke about the fact that this game isn't real, but I do believe that it probably is coming out this year. Also, the pole, which only had one option, is truly fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think though that there is a point to that pole, which is that you know what you just at this point, Silk Song is alive in your heart and you just got to trust that it's gonna come out when it comes out.
Speaker 1: And like the reality is we are probably the problem here a little bit, right, Yeah, because almost certainly the Team Cherry is feeling the pressure.
Speaker 3: Yes, we talked about this, We talked about this is I mean, I liken this too, and I and I did it before. An artist like I'm going to use the example of Phoebe Bridgers that Punisher was such an amazing album that no wonder she's off due Inside Projects Boy Genius, which was also great, but it's like there's not the amount of pressure that it is for her to release another unbelievable album. So again, it's like we've put so much pressure on Team Cherry at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Danny Biking chat, the George R.
Speaker 3: Martin of it all like that, Yeah, we gotta, we gotta just like let these people live and trust that they're doing their best and they're gonna put out a product like Root for.
Speaker 1: Them to win, you know, yeah, or you know, just say thank you for the first game and movie. Yes, like, hey, thanks for making holl of Night, and I'm gonna go play something else. And if they release another game at some point, great. I mean I get the anticipation. I do. Yeah, it is very hard to you know, put something back in a box once you realize, oh, I'm getting this thing that I've always wanted. They're making the sequel to that, to one of my favorite games. Yeah, it's hard to put them back inside. But clearly these small teams are all feeling this stuff right now, and the behaviors of everyone involved, of feasting on every little tidbit of you know, any morsel of information, is not helping. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to use myself as an example here.
Speaker 3: I remember when they announced at Any three during a press conference that they were going to actually remake Final Fantasy seven, which.
Speaker 2: As y'all know, is like, that's my game, That's what made me the gamer I am today.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: I was excited, and then I forgot about it until I saw a trailer from Tokyo Game Show, and I went.
Speaker 2: Oh, damn, it's really happening.
Speaker 1: Try that.
Speaker 2: It's a much better.
Speaker 1: Way to live exactly. Yeah, I'm trying to think, like the the ideal gamer is John Carpenter. Right, he's just, yes, just playing games, try to avoid doing any work, and like you know, he's not like obsessing over the news or whatever. He's just like playing the games that come to him. And I would give a lot to be that gamer, the John Carpenter gamer. All right, let's take a quick break. When we get back, plenty more to talk about, including I mean, I can't believe it, but there's rumors of maybe a Switch one Direct. We'll talk about that right after this. All right, we're back into it. Let's read this headline. A rumor says a Switch one Direct presentation may take place this week, and god, that's even a stretch based on what we have here from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. Hang on, I gotta mute this again. There we go, There we go. All right, rumors have begun to swirl that suggests a Nintendo Direct may take place this week, specifically on Wednesday, twenty sixth March of March, so this week like two days from now. With the big Switch to Direct schedule to take place on the second of April, many had assumed that Nintendo would opt out of any other major events in the immediate lead up. However, a few posts online have gotten people in a bit of a fluster, and the assumption at this point is that Nintendo may well drop a partner direct or an Indie World showcase just one week before it's big Switch to blowout. Collated by a handy Reddit post, the first hint comes from via a Chinese forum poster who had reported previously leaked or had reportedly previously leaked nearly the entire entirety of the June Direct from twenty twenty four. After translation, the user had effectively stated we'll see a Nintendo Switch one Direct meeting in three days, which at the time of posting lines up with this Wednesday. On Fami boards, which is another place that tracks the stuff, user nin Spider posted in the Nintendo General discussion page to state I walked by for a Kaya office this morning and heard him saying Nintendo will die before Switch to die. Anyone know what this means? I have no idea what they're talking about now on its own, this means absolutely bugger all. But another user responded to ask whether he was alluding to Nindai, a shortened version of Nintendo Direct used in Japan. So essentially, nin Spider is saying that another Direct will take place before the switch to Direct. Yeah. There, you know. I heard that there was something supposed to happen in February because there was a partner that had a deal with Nintendo and say, hey, when's our game. I'm going to show up, and Nintendo was like February, and then nothing happened in February, and so I never got an update on that. So this is some stuff was supposed to be announced by now when it got moved around for whatever reason. I never thought, Emma, that would mean we would get a smaller whatever like we're saying direct, Indie Direct, partner Direct. It could just be a bunch of announcements that got thrown out on Twitter or whatever. There's a bunch of ways that this could take the form. Still, I never really thought Nintendo would the week before the switch to stuff would be like, let's go back and acknowledge switch one one last time. I thought we were past this, so I'm.
Speaker 2: A bit surprised it's you know, it's just a funeral for the Switch.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Maybe they just I mean truly like that, that's all I could really imagine it being like, as you say, sure there are other you know, partner games that you need some attention that we know those contracts are in place, but ultimately this this is a thing of the past. So perhaps it's just I'm envisioning a like a montage of games on Switch over the years, as well as like, here are some indie titles with our partners by you know, like because what else are they going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that they do have stuff that I imagine they were going to talk about for the Switch one, but I said that back in February and nothing happened, So I was like, yeah, you know, maybe they don't feel they need to tell us exactly what's going on with Mentroy Prime for before the Switch to Direct. Now I expect all that stuff to just be in the Switch to Direct, so right when it comes to first party stuff, I would just be surprised if there was enough to justify a show whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, That's what I was going to say a whole showcase.
Speaker 1: But you know, a lot of the way that these things usually happen is it's much more transactional, and Nintendo does occasionally roll out partner showcases as an obligation to the people that they've made deals with to say, hey, yeah, this being in a Nintendo Direct is worth a certain amount of money and we owe that to you. So we're just gonna put on one of these shows now again, Like I would they have lined that up around this time, knowing the Switch Too was coming. I suppose there's a possibility that this is messier because they have moved the Switch twos timing around. It was originally supposed to come out late last year, and I think we could just tell that over and over again by like, oh, they're the shipments began going out and reaching the United States earlier this year, and the way that all the third party accessories have already been printed and there's stuff going around because the model was out there and people were based stuff because they were getting ready for late last year. So maybe that movement has caused some problems with the planning of the Nintendo Direct and the Nintendo Direct team, the team inside of Nintendo that plans the stuff out would just have to roll with the punches like everyone else. They are not going to be able to dictate anything to the executives at Nintendo Company Limited in Japan, where they're like, hey, we're going to do it's best for the switch to and everyone else just needs to figure out what that means for their teams. Probably how this happened, I still would think that that would result in Okay, well let's just not do that direct. Yeah, exactly, something happens this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it seems like it feels as though this is a let's pivot to social media kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, again, I don't know what the Nintendo's obligations to the partners is, like, yeah, maybe they do have to have a direct to be able to justify, you know, to meet some contractual obligation. But we'll see. You know, it didn't it wasn't just these people posting about it. Andy Robinson over at VGC did a little like thinking head emoji when when another person was talking about their not being a direct before the switch to direct. That's suggestive for sure, I get it. And then another leaker from I can't remember where in South America. So I'm just going to say, an entire continent from South America mentioned that Nintendo is a weird company, and we'll see them be weird this week, basically is how they framed it. So a lot of people talking around this, Well, we'll see. Like I said, I'll be surprised, although I'll be happily surprised. I hope we get there and they tell us what's going on with the Metroid Prime while two and three remasters just.
Speaker 3: Give us that, Yeah, we got the first couple, so just you know, or first one rather Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: And then all the other uh like Metroit stuff is already on the switch, so why not complete that. They love doing that.
Speaker 2: They've done that multiple Oh that's Nintendo's favorite thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would like to see that. But that's me maybe getting my own personal hopes up. I don't know if this happens on Wednesday, do they even announce it. If it's a smaller kind of direct, this could just pop up out of nowhere, so I think.
Speaker 3: People, I mean, Nintendo barely announces their directs as it is most.
Speaker 1: Of the time. It feels like, so, yeah, maybe a day announcement for a bigger one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: They've definitely done smaller once before. They just dropped it out of nowhere. Well, yeah, it happens. We will talk about it on this show, and we'll try to talk over it on Giant Bomb. Everybody, Okay. Reports of Silent Hill F getting banned by ratings boards were premature. It seems this comes from Darren Bonthus at GameSpot. Silent Hill F re emerged after several years of radio silence with an impressive new trailer showcasing a new chapter in the series that will be set in Japan circa the nineteen sixties, currently in development for PCPs five and Xbox Series X and S. There are some confusion surrounding the game and if it'll go on sale in Australia. Over the weekend, reports of it being refused classification in Australia popped up, which would mean that Silent Hill F would not be allowed to be sold in that country, But that might not be the full story here. What was actually what has actually happened is that the Australian Classification Board has not rated the game at all, and as noted by former GameSpot video producer Edmund Trand, the game was submitted by Konami through the International Age Rating Coalition. This is a classification initiative built to streamline the acquisition of content ratings for video games through various authorities. It's more nuanced than submitting and getting a game approved. But as another user pointed out, being refused classification on the IARC does not impact a local Australian release, and this is more of a case of the game not meeting ACB requirements. I mean, essentially, there was the story going on over the weekend, but Silent Hill f got a ratings refused classification, which would mean it could not be sold in Australia in any way, and that was that's kind of where the story ended. And now it's basically people are saying this is more of a bureaucratic issue of them just going through the process and this is not some sort of final decision on this game, and it really it's like no final decision has actually been formed at all, and Konomy just Konomage needs to go through some motions here to get things appropriately submitted so that the game can get a rating. That's what it seems up to me.
Speaker 2: Well, and also it's like with.
Speaker 3: Games I assume it's similar to films where it's like you said it to the ratings board and that's that's not the final answer, you know.
Speaker 2: They it's typically they come back to you with like, oh, you.
Speaker 3: Need to change this one thing, uh, in order to get an R rating instead of an NC seventeen or you know, whatever the case may be, where obviously you don't want an NC seventeen because then you have.
Speaker 2: Very very very limited run.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, I I assume that it's similar with video games, and you know.
Speaker 2: There's there's certainly been instances of.
Speaker 3: Games being presented in other you know, in various countries all around the world, and certain countries having certain demands, and then it's ultimately up to the developers whether they're going to you know, cow taw to that or not.
Speaker 2: But you know, in the case of eight ratings, I think that again.
Speaker 3: It's like, as you say, this is this is the bureaucracy, this is a this is just a the game hasn't been able to be rated, not that they have refused rate it kind of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I someone in chat pointed me to the Steam Mature Content description and list is what they're working with. You know, and this is not necessarily how the ratings board works. I think you know, I know how the ESRB works. I don't know how anywhere else works. In for the SRB in the United States, you submit back in the day would have been a videotape. I'm sure it's now just a video file that you send over there that shows all the most egregious scenes from the game. So someone there just watches it and says, Okay, you're right, this is an M rating or whatever. Anyway, but your content description for Silent Hill F on Steam reads as this game contains depictions of gender discrimination, child abuse, bullying, drug induced hallucinations, torture, and graphic violence. The game is set in Japan in the nineteen sixties and contains depictions based on the customs and culture of that time. These depictions do not reflect the opinions or values that developers or any individuals involved. If you feel uncomfortable in any point well playing, please take a break. I mean some of these, you know, themes I think could are definitely going to earn it a very high classification, a high age rating, child abuse, gender discrimination, bullying. I think that the expectation here is, yeah, this is going to be an M rated game of course, or yeah, whatever the equipment is in Australia.
Speaker 3: Psychological horror, like of course, you know that's that is Silent Hill.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. So like is that enough to be a situation where Australia might ban it? And according to this story here, Silent Hill have to be refused classification in Australia. In Australia, it would have to contain some extreme content like instructions on how to commit violence or depictions of several forms of sexual assaults that would would have to really go much further than what they're describing here. So again, I think this is probably a situation of that they just are in the early part of the process of submitting this in certain territories and got hung up on some paperwork, essentially in Australia, and they will get to a point where this thing can get a rating and get released in that country.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, hey, big news everybody, Big Rigs over the Road racing is coming to steam. This is from Marcus Person at Game Reactor. You might an early April Fool's joke wrights, Marcus, you might think so, but no, Big Rigs over the Road Racing, widely considered one of the worst games of all time, is somehow making its way to Steam. Originally released in two thousand and three by Game Mill and developed by Stellar Stone, the game is infamous for its many, and to say the least serious yet hilarious flaws, like how about your opponents that don't move at all? Or the fact that your truck can accelerate infinitely as long as you're reversing. Now, a lot of people watching Emma will know about this game because it was a favorite of Alex Navarro's. He actually played this game one time in a bad Game block for Awesome Game Done Quick, and he showed off some of these tricks, like if you go in reverse, the truck will just continue to gain momentum until basically you are whipping through the world at light speed. It is an incredible piece. I'm you know, as a member of Blake Club, I'm like, I've never played Big Rigs Over the Road Racing. I will now get a chance to fix that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I have a strong affinity for bad games.
Speaker 2: I sure hope that they know that.
Speaker 3: Like that's that The terribleness and the brokenness of this game is what makes it.
Speaker 2: Good quote unquote, you know.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel about it. Let's let's see how Alex Navarro feels on Blue Sky. He writes, the fuck are we doing here? Did we run out of video games all of a sudden? Are there no more old games worth making newly playable that you would resort to scraping bedrock like this? What possible benefit to any one? Could this offer? Follow? The money then burned down wherever it leads. He's a I think he's just being coy. I think he's playing thou doth protect too much? Out to borrow? We know how you truly feel now. I think he's traumatized by this game. I'm like over here thinking, you know what, that's a business I would like to see. Take Off is a publisher dedicated to bringing back bad games and only bad games, Yes, famously bad games that have been lost for like whatever reason. Get them all on Steam. That's what I want. Give me that. That'll be my next career once this all come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, look, no one's doing it right now.
Speaker 1: So other than whoever the hell is doing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well maybe maybe this is the start of their illustrious career in bringing back bad games.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, it's got to be easier to make money making bad games, right, It's very easy to make bad games. You just yeah, I don't know, maybe, but I guess they need a certain name.
Speaker 3: I think it's hard to make any games, but bad games are the easiest amount of difficulty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, oh, actually this still really sucks. This is really hard. Still, why are we getting it? We're putting this much work in We should just make something good. Yeah, I am. I'm looking forward to this. I want to try it myself, and you know, and you know it's because I hate myself. Let's be clear. I should be punished with bad games, and I am. Every Wednesday, turn tune in this week for Overblood, everybody. I'm starting that on Blake Club. That is. Have you ever heard of that game, Emma, because I had not, really.
Speaker 2: No, I have not heard of this fine piece of artwork.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's a three D sci fi adventure, everybody, In case you were wondering, Yeah, for the PS one and I I really don't know what to expect. I'm guessing it is a bad Resident Evil clone. But everyone, no one did, like there's a lot of people who watched Dan and Tim Turrey play this on Game Informer fifteen years ago, and they have a lot to say about it, and they're definitely building it up. I'm like, I'm gonna get so frustrated by this game. It's not going to be a good time for anybody. But everyone insists they're ready for a good time. So Overblood this Wednesday on Blake Cloves Overblood.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm I'm blood fascinated all right.
Speaker 1: PC gamers only spent eight percent of their time playing new games last year, according to a report. This is from Ethan Gotch at Kotaku. There are more folks spending time playing PC games than ever before, but they're increasingly spending their time playing older stuff. A new report by my market research firm new Zoo estimates that only eight percent of PC gaming hours in twenty twenty four were spent on games that came out in the same year. It turns out that hundreds of hours each that the hundreds of hours each of us spent obsessed with Bilatro was just a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. Here's a quote from them. Overall playtime hours are growing, but concentrated in Triple A and at times cannibalistic reads New Zoo's latest report, presented at GDC twenty twenty five by the agency's Director of Consulting, Ben Porter, the battle for audience hours is fierce and a near zero sum. The presentation, titled the State of PC and Console Games in twenty twenty five, looked at gaming habits on both types of platforms and found that PC gamers are much more likely to be playing games that are at least six years old, like Roadblocks, League Legends, and Fortnite, and those games are all some of those games are much older than six years. Roadblocks is going to be twenty next year. Yes. The short form of this emma is that it's the problem we've talked about a lot that they're Yeah, people are spending a lot of money, they're spending a lot of time on this hobby. But it's all kind of going toward the same games over and over again, year after year, and it's getting may be more extreme than it's ever been. Yeah, you know, only eight percent of time spent playing games on PC last year was spent on new games, just eight percent. That feels like a less than fertile ground for the for innovation for people who want to try to make new things in this space, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that that truly is it.
Speaker 1: It is the.
Speaker 3: Issue with I think all forms of media across the board is that nobody is investing in anything new like that's and we're talking about that in terms of like the Hollywood studio system, every movie that's coming out is based on something else, unless it's like a horror movie. Horror is still the one genre that continues to thrive, an experiment and have a good time. So I yeah, but I mean with gaming, it is really interesting to again you're looking at that consumer behavior of they are much more likely to continue investing in a game that.
Speaker 2: They have already been playing.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, I look at somebody like myself, a single issue gamer. As we have now established the new term for a non competitive gamer is I will end up replaying games that I have already played. Now, this is a weird situation because a lot of the time I am replaying those games in a form wherein they have been remastered and re released.
Speaker 2: So does that count as a I'm looking I'm to.
Speaker 1: Like look through this report to see if I can determine whether that whether or not that's what they mean. Yeah, you know, okay, let's say I've not been able to get that information, but let's say that that does even that does count, It's like it's still not really answering the fundamental problem here right where it's like the black the black hole games are still taking up so much of the oxygen in the room. Yeah, I think that on PC it makes some sense. So yeah, I guess let's like break this down a little bit further instead of just going full doom and gloom. This report says on console it's not quite as extreme. Forty four percent of the time on PlayStation was spent on games that came out six or more years ago, and that number was forty nine percent on Xbox, So not nearly as extreme as PC, where it's ninety two percent. And then you know, PC is a little bit different. People have all kinds of different home computers. Yes, some are much less powerful, some are are just there, like they literally just got to be a Minecraft or Roadblocks machine, and those games can run on older hardware, So it's you know, not an apples to apples comparison. And I and while I think the trend is still troublesome, and you know, half of time spent on games on console still going toward older games, is you know, it's an issue. I guess it's only an issue in so far as I really like getting new games. I'm used to there being a certain level of an investment from these corporations to making new games, because people spend money on new games. Well, I think that they are getting to a point where they're looking it's like, are they doing that in enough of a way that it justifies us making big new investments in new video games. And I think that increasingly the answer to that question for a lot of these big companies is no, No.
Speaker 3: Well it's interesting too, there's some really interesting points being brought up in chat.
Speaker 2: Both that.
Speaker 3: And you brought up the point Grub that PC is a there's a wide range of capabilities when we say PC, whereas like every single PlayStation five theoretically has the exact same capabilities every single Xbox series X with a PC, people have such a range of how new their graphics card is, et cetera, et cetera. So there are people again who it's like, well, I'm only buying games that run within the limitations of the PC I have or are able to be played and run well on a Steam deck or a Rogu galy And because I want to be able to go back and forth between you know, playing on my PC or playing handheld.
Speaker 2: All of this makes perfect sense in the PC market.
Speaker 3: And then there is, as there is a cross media, the oversaturation of releases, so that a lot of people are going, Okay, well, here's a brand new and I'll take the example I saw in chat of Assassin's Creed. Here's a brand new Assassin's Creed that is seventy dollars. Why am I going to spend seventy dollars on Assassin's Creed when I as a PC gamer, I don't play games.
Speaker 2: I just buy them. That's another thing about PC gamers.
Speaker 3: So I probably already have something in my backlog that I want to play, or or there is some game that I know is good that came out several years.
Speaker 2: Ago and is now on sale on Steam for fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean, and all this really has coincided with a time in gaming where you know, I brought up this quote before where I was talking to an executive from Netflix in the early days, long before they were involved in video games in any way. And I'm like, hey, well what about video games? And he told me, he's like, well, okay, that doesn't really work because you got to imagine, like a movie from the eighties or a move from the nineties is a certain level of quality that everyone's just like, yeah, this is a movie. And games, you know, if a game is you know, two three years old, it feels very old. And then basically it was like later that year Witcher three came out or something, or maybe it was like a year or two later, and it's like since then, since like Doom twenty sixteen, a lot of those games, games just don't feel that way anymore. A new game is kind of indistinguishable from a new game coming out. All right, So thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Chat for just reading my facial expressions. I don't even I don't even know what I was saying.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that the example of witch Are three is very good because like you can still play with and granted, it's like it's gotten all kinds of you know, upscales over the years and things like that, but it is still a super playable game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And you know, and then I think on the other side of that, someone chat mentioned it's like some new games feel like work, Like, yes, I think that's how people are feeling about a lot of the stuff that does follow a certain formula, especially open world games, you know, I you know, open world games are very popular and lucrative for a reason. They do reach a massive audience. But there's a group within the game playing audience that is burnt out on these things, and it's like, Okay, you want me to kind of get into the flow of doing one task after another, and it just it's it's asking a lot of me, and I kind of want something either more familiar or more simple, and I can go back to this infinite library on Steam now and find the thing that is exactly what I'm in the mood for. And yeah, so competition has just really changed. It used to be video game publishers were competing with other video game publishers on retail walls for attention, and it's like they knew exactly who was going to be releasing games and who they were competing against, and if you wanted to stand out, it was very easy to make something that was different than everyone else was making. And now you are competing not just it's like a fourth dimensional competition where there's all kinds of new games coming out, there are all kinds of other forms of entertainment and time wasters that people cannot help but fall into. And then at the same time, you were competing with the entirety of gamings passed for the last ten to fifteen years. It's yeah, you know, God, it's see you can get it from all sides. If you are someone making these games, all right, that's going to do it. For the headlines. Let's get over to the poll question, and by that, let me see if I have it right here, there we go. I want to refresh. Are you playing Assassin's Creed Shadows? Asked this after the game came out. I am playing it, so I'm going to vote yes. Twenty one percent of respondence, more than three thousand people voted said yes, they are playing it. The other seventy nine percent said no, they are not playing Assassin's Great Shadows. This is a game. It's doing very well. It is finding an audience. It's popping off on Steam. I think they had you'd be something anounced something like two million players, something along those lines. So it's doing very well. And yet you know, in this audience less than a less than a quarter about a fifth of people are playing I bet this is one that since it does have good word of mouth, Emma, that.
Speaker 2: People playing it two years from now, two years from.
Speaker 1: Now, yep, yeah, steam sale, yep, yeah, absolutely, it's going to pop off. And yeah, you know what, you'll really enjoy it then. And I kind of what's the argument to play it now? I really, honestly, I don't know what the argument would be other than you want to be part of the conversation these days? What? Yeah? I mean, what want? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: People expectations like I was, like I did dip into the severance like communities wherever where they were trying to guess what was going on. I'm like, as soon as I did, I'm like, oh, nope, I do I need to hear other people's thoughts on this show. Ye, all right, let's see new poll question. We got that here in a second. What did I even put there? Okay, yes, right there, we'll have that here in a second. In the meantime, am a fife? Why don't we tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on? All that good? Stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Well, I am on Blue Sky and I slightly use Instagram, and I don't think I have any new videos up this week. But if you are in the Los Angeles area, we're doing a book launch for the book about Outer Wilds that Boss Fight Books is publishing. So we'll have a book launch for that at Hatch Games in Los Angeles. If you are in LA and you want to go, just you know, hit me up on the Giant Bomb Discord and I'll make sure that I get you all the details as we're still kind of sorting some stuff out about that. But yeah, so you could come by. And it's Tommy's space who wrote the book.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am sorry, I'm distracted. Well, my robot lawnmower is not responding to my phone app. I got this from my birthday, and I am I've been setting it up for the last day and it's been a lot of fun. But I'm still like one to babysit it, even though the whole point is you don't have to. Yeah, yeah, it's got a cool It's got a camera on it so I can like see where it's going and things like that. It's a whole thing. It might be rising up. Yeah, Chat's saying it might be rebelling.
Speaker 2: And yp rising. It's happening.
Speaker 1: I'm always considering that as a possibility. Everybody, don't worry, all right, Are you getting Indie on PS five? Yes? No? Or I already own it on Xbox or PC. Those are your options. You could see the pulls up now to go to YouTube dot com slash at Giant Bomb. Hit the community tab there it's gonna you know, go ahead and vote. Look at the results for that. Talk about it on Game Breaking News here on Giant Bomb on Wednesday, speaking of Giant Bomb, tomorrow is the BombCast returning the day after that, Well, Blake Club. We'll have a whole bunch of other fun stuff. But today, as the Power Block continues, you're watching the Power Block right now. You don't have to go anywhere. It's just gonna happen in front of you. You're gonna get GB kids. They definitely said some ideas that I can't remember anymore, but I listen. The whole point to tune in there is just to see what the youth culture is up to these days. Right there. We're just trying to keep them from going out there and drinking their red bulls and setting cars on fire. So we brought them inside and gave them jobs quote unquote, And then after that Reiker's Roulette, Dan was gonna play something else that he mentioned I was excited about and now I can't remember, but I don't know. It's gonna be a fun Oh. They're going to play star Fox Assault on GB kids. That'll be a good time. I want to see that. God, it's a good show, you guys do I'm like, Oh, I'm just gonna sit back and watch that. Oh and then oh, that's right this. I was excited about this. Man. I hope I don't have to go anywhere because I want to be there for Dan's Xbox Live Arcade All Stars. He was putting together a list of a bunch of Xbox Live Arcade games that he wanted to play, and every single one I'm like, yeah, yeah, let's go so that it'll be a good time. He's going to have that going for you later this afternoon, First up, GB Kids. In the meantime, though, Emma Fife, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I super appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, Jeff Grubb.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.