Speaker 1: Seven o six if aty five KRC DE Talk station. Been a very happy Friday to you. Happy to welcome back to the pe Pod KRC Morning Show. Wish she was an institut but apparently he had a late night out. We don't know what he was doing out there. Brigha McCown from the Hudson Institute, Senior fellow there, director of the Initiative on American Energy Security. Hudson dot org is where you find him online. He has more than three decades of domestic and foreign policy experience while serving in multiple positions within an industry, government, and the military. And he's also a professor at Miami University, teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in law, policy and ethics. Welcome back, Brigham. It's always great having you on my program.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. It's great to be with you this morning. Yeah, late night out.
Speaker 1: We won't ask you to elaborate on the details, Brigham. I'm sure it was something that was on the up and up anyway, energy policy generally. I was happy for them, and I'm happy to see it that they're rolling out. But I'm a big fan of these modular small modular reactors. The idea of using nuclear power because we don't have to build a giant three mile island with the giant cooling tower in old nineteen seventies technology. The world's evolved, and nuclear power has evolved as well, and it generates gazillions of amounts of power on a very small footprint. Waste issues are not a problem, as we've learned as well. But Ontario, Canada, they said they've given final approval for the construction of the very first western world small modular reactor. How come Ontario is getting to do it and we're not, Brigham McCalla when this seems to me the answer to everybody's climate change warriors because it doesn't put on any carbon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it does, doesn't it. And I think it's partially because, you know, Ora policies, our domestic policies have been some of our own worst Anny's light. For example, Brian, I got back at one thirty in the morning on a flight that was supposed to land at Cincinnati at ten o'clock. Why because air traffic control is outdated. We use stuff from the sixties and seventies. This is sort of the mindset across all of the federal government, including energy and what was once a very promising nuclear industry in this country in the sixties and seventies, remember the atomic age. We were going to do it everywhere everything was atomic. We allowed ourselves to get mired in a government red tape bureaucratic delays to where we're no longer innovative. Other countries are moving much faster than we are. But the good news is if there is one is I think we're starting to figure this out. And Ontario, which has a more conservative government, it's like, let's do this. Why not?
Speaker 1: Well, and there's I mean in Ohio. I talked to Vivak Ramaswami about this. He's all in favor of it. I mean, he make Ohio the energy generation capital of the United States. And you know, inexpensive energy draws business and industry. And if we provide that, man, you just you have to put a fence up to keep the businesses from wanting to come into the state of Ohio. I mean, it's just smart policy across the board. And again there is no possible or legitimately underscore that or reason for anyone to argue against this. It should be embraced by the climate change o armist because it doesn't produce anything by way of waste. It's just I don't know as have our elected officials been propagandized into believing every one of these represents a three mile island or Cherniobyl like threat.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there are a couple of different issues at play, yes, in part. First of all, back to your point on the cost of energy. You know, one of things that we've explored at Hudson Institute is g why does manufacturing leave. Well, it leaves because things cost too much, and certainly wages can be part of that. But the cost of energy and industrial building and an industrial capacity is the tipping point between companies that make profit and ie expand and hire more people and companies that can't make it. And that's what Ohio and parts of the quote russ Belt had experienced, was the loss of energy, the loss of the loss of affordable energy. When you don't have affordable energy, you don't put money back into your plans, you don't put money back into your infrastructure, and it's sort of a spiraling decay. And so where we have cheap electricity, cheap energy, we're seeing industry move back.
Speaker 1: In well, and all this on the heels of the new announcement from this morning, Duke Energy is raising customers prices again. Public you told, a commission of Ohio announced that Duke Energy is going to be jump bumping the price of the killowatt hour by two point five cents per killowot hour. Sounds small, but it all adds up.
Speaker 2: Bring them, Yeah, it does really all add up. And you know, I hate to say it. Spent a lot of times the utility companies they're like, yeah, we'll pass it off to the consumer. You want to regulate this, fine, you want us to use when us to use more expensive energy, fine, we'll just pass it on to the consumer. Say we had to do it the energy companies, the utility companies need to step up and be part of the solution. And say you would think, Brian, like, people want to sell more electricity, right, I mean I'd want to sell more if I make candy bars, I want to sell more candy bars. But for some reason, the utility industry just seems content to pass prices along and not worry about it.
Speaker 1: Well, and I noted out in California, it was an analysis that was done by the Specific Research Research Institute talking about how unbelievably expensive it is to pursue this green future out there. The study that they produce, so the financial burden estimates that this green transition is going to cost Californians each and every one of them seventeen thousand plus between seventeen thousand and twenty thousand dollars per family to switch over to just alternative energy sources that are non carbon producing, and of course, none of which includes the aforementioned small modular reactors I talked about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it is, And you know, you look at California wholesale electric prices if and increase more than four fold, it's directly tied to their policies out there. Look, if you want, if you want to throw up a solar panel, you want to do windmill, fantastic, But you get back to nuclear right to your point, if if and assuming, if you're like, golly, carbon is a huge problem. We need to take care of the environment with CO two, which is only one of numerous greenhouse gases. But for some reason we're going to fixate on that. Yeah, great, n clear is a zero emission fuel. So if that's your stick, then you ought to be all over nuclear.
Speaker 1: Well and this the nefarious thing lurking behind the scenes. I'm thoroughly convinced, Briga McCowan is that we did have small modular reactors, they did produce an abundance of power. We would expand our domestic production, we would increase our consumption because inexpensive electricity translates to a better life for all of us, and that therefore we would not fall in line with the global alarming alarmists concerns about our overconsumption and are destroying the planet with our you know, buying up all the resources and consuming them. I mean, you know, productive country does go through a lot of resources, and I think that's really the goal here is to undermine our productivity and our success here in this and otherwise free quasi capitalist country.
Speaker 2: Absolutely couldn't agree more. And by the way, if also you're into the climate, you would think you would want things made in America where we do take environmental protection seriously, where we can do it by emitting far less harmful products to the environment. And say, I don't know.
Speaker 1: China, right, That's that's the other weird thing about these climbate alarm ist Brigham, is that no one ever points a finger at China, who regularly continues to build new coal fired power plants. They don't have an EPA, they're not concerned about the environment. They don't have strict rules and regulations like we do. So we're just giving more and more opportunity for the Chinese to keep their prices down because while they have inexpensive electricity generated by polluting coal, not a word about China, or rarely ever word. Although China occasionally plays lip service to wanting to help with dealing with climate chains, they don't lift a finger to do anything about it.
Speaker 2: I think you've got their four to one one, Brian.
Speaker 1: I do, I do well. Pause will bring Brigham account Hudson Institute. Go online to Hudson dot org and check that page out bookmarket. It's got some great material there. Speaking of electricity culling, my friends have Colored Electric family owned and operated since nineteen ninety nine, A plus with a better business beer, and they're happy with that. One of the reasons their honest reputation. That's an APE plus there. Provide all facets of residential electric work between the smallest project. I always use like as an illustration, an outlet install or maybe a can light or two. They did our whole house with can lights. I love those things.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Maybe wiring up your media room they'll do that. Maybe wire up your whole house generator. They did that for me. Uh, and help me with the remodeling project in the bathrooms. Most recently they were over at our house for that and of course a wonderful job it was. Price is always right and they have a ten year wiring warranty. Anything they do for you comes along with that ten year wiring warranty. So hire the best. I'd be Cullen Electric Online CEE U L L E N Cullen Electriccincinnati dot com. Here's a number and tell Andrew and the team. Brian said, Hi, when you give them a call at five one three two two seven four one one two. That's five one three two two seven four one one two fifty five KRC dot com. Hello, I'm Victor Gray and I'm calling here. It is your Channel nine first Warning weather forecast. Today, beautiful day, sunny, skyes dry and sixty seven. It's gonna remain dry over night. Forty three for the low, sunny again tomorrow, seventy three for the high. Another dry night time with a fifty four low and for Mother's Day, perfect God shining down on mom with sunny sky's and a highest seventy six, also dry forty six. Right now, it's time.
Speaker 3: For traffic from the UCL Traffic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second count. So that's why you see health. That's the clear choice for rapid life saving treatment. Learn more at uc health dot com. Highway traffic and pretty good shape. They cleared the Rex southbound seventy five at two seventy five in Erlwonger. You can expect to lay southbound seventy five out of Saint Bernard into downtown and then on southbound four seventy one. That's all for Deputy Larry Henderson's procession. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's seven eighteen if you've got KRCD talk station. Brian Thomas with Brigham Account Hudson dot orgs where you find the Hudson Institute. He is the Senior Fellow Director of Innovation on American Energy Security. That's another component of energy production is secure already bring them as to have a secure America. He needs secure grid and the other component of this, although away from energy production, is the idea that our grid isn't necessarily secure from the Chinese Communist Party, hackers or other nefarious actors in the world who could easily, I've come to the understanding easily just shut the grid down, which would result in obvious chaos for multiple reasons.
Speaker 2: Oh, it absolutely would. And I think, Brian, that's another reason why this rush to electrify everything is maybe well intended by some, but there's nothing wrong with natural gas. I've got it in my house, most people do have it. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket. There needs to be we call it a Belton sustenders approach. You have to have backups, so you have to have ways to ensure the stable supply of energy, whether it's related to natural events or man made events. And you know, I think that's clear. We've seen the CCP intentionally get into our electrical, our power, our other energy infrastructure. So far it seems to be probing around. But you know these are not good guys. You know your friends, don't you know, don't come into your house middle of the night and rummage through your stuff. They're looking for pain points, They're looking for ways that should a conflict to come up, or should we tell them they can't take over Taiwan or they can't do whatever they want to do. Part of that strategy is to figure out how to make it hurt to us in ways that they're not traditional type of warfare that we're used to exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, I keep pivoting back to California, and you know, they're pushed to get everybody in an electric vehicle and achieve zero emission status by some randomly selected year. There was a study by the University of Southern California came out noting that because of all of the refinery shutdowns, which were in large part pushed by all the regulatory costs, burdens, and obligations the government of California State placed upon these refineries, including the litigation that they filed against the petroleum companies claiming that they're directly responsible for global warming, a nonsensical legal position, but they said that this researcher concluded that by the end of the year, regular gas prices could jump from four dollars and eighty two cents, which was the norm in California as of April this year, to as high as eight dollars and forty four cents by the end of next year. That's that's insanity right there.
Speaker 2: You know, it is in sanity, especially when if you go to Los Angeles, that is like a car city. They don't even try to do much in the way of urban transit there. They're like, we like our cars, well, Los Angeles, And so it's kind of a bit of a head scratcher for sure, because you know, this notion of fossil fuel being phased out, it's not going to happen overnight. Even the most optimistic forecast, if you are really into this, is that the country is still predominantly fossil fuel based, especially in the transportation sector out past twenty fifty. But what we do know is powered by the green agenda. In California. There are a couple of reports out that talk about how California's electricity rates are almost double the rest of the country double second highest in the nation, just behind Hawaii, which is a whole nother story. But from nineteen to twenty three, which is the latest data, if you look at California's three largest investor owned utilities, SoCal, PGNA, and Sacramento Area, prices have increased between forty eight and sixty seven percent for electricity. Some of that, some of that is caused by the wildfires and the fact they have not been upgrading their infrastructure. They've been putting solar panels everywhere, but it doesn't cost less. It costs a lot more.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, in those programs wouldn't exist but for subsidies, which are nothing more than taking tax dollars and then turning them into a subsidy to get people to do something that they don't want to do and make giving it the appearance that it's actually affordable. It's just this circular pleasure fest that goes on with our taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad, I'm brod. I'm so glad you mentioned that, because you know, when you talk to people there, they seem to think that subsidies and tax rebates they're free. They're free, they don't cost us anything. They don't come from anywhere. You know, when you hear the term subsidy, right, the federal government is giving you something and that comes from each and every one of us. You know, it could be used to reduce the deficit, could be reused to do other things, but now it's there is no such thing as a free money tree in the backyard, or I think we'd probably already have one.
Speaker 1: Well one more thing along the lines of what the undo California. But I was kind of I view with with really some positive perspective and optimism. Two forty six to one sixty four vote for a Congressional Review Act resolution to repeal the waiver that the EPA granted California for its EV mandate. This just happened last week, so pasted with bipartisan support. You had thirty five Democrats joining the Republicans to repeal the EV mandate. Electric vehicles not the popular things that they were really hoping they would be, again going back to subsidies. In order to get people to buy them, you had to incentifize them with a seventy five hundred dollars tax credit.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And you know what's really important about that EPA waiver to California was you know, if you think about it, it started out as a rational way, like, hey, there's a federal standard for smog and pollution that comes out of tail pipe, and if states wanted a higher level, they could ask the federal government. Maybe you lived in we remember dirty cloudy cities we were younger, and the federal government said, okay. The problem is it's a waiver which the federal government can grant. It also means the federal government can take it away. And what California has done is they've gotten their buddies on board. Now there are between eleven and thirteen states that follow California's emission standards. And then they go to all the auto manufacturers and say, you know what, you might as well make every car to our standard. And that means that affects the price of the cars that we buy here in the Tri State. And California has become the de facto federal regulator for car emissions. It's crazy and it's time we pull that back.
Speaker 1: It is, and at least the House and with bipartisans support, was able to do that last week. We'll see how this advances. Brigham account. It's Hudson dot org. rEFInd the Hudson and Stu Briingham. It's always a pleasure talk energy policy with you on the program, and I'll look forward to doing it again down the road. And hope you have a wonderful weekend. My friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and get people towards Charge Conversations.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to talk about this, I apologize for not bringing that up. Yes, the podcast Charged Conversations with Brigha McCown. Wherever you find your podcast, you'll find it, and I recommend you check that out too, thanks to the reminder there, Brigham. Have a great weekend. It's seven twenty six fifty five KC the Talk station. Anna Marie Barnett, the executive director of the Alzheimers Association Alzheimer's Association of Greater SINCINNTI coming up next, some alarming statistics and facts from here in the state of Ohio on Alzheimer's. Of course, I have a profound connection with that particular nefarious disease. But first a word for my good friends at Bud Herbert Motors. Picked up my mower just the other day and it's getting serviced. I'll be happy to have a sharpened blade, oil change fully serviced lawnmower return to me. They're going to drop it back off to my home next week pick up drop off. They service what they sell, and in terms of what they sell, own the finest lawn equipment out there. This is fifth generation family in and operated business. You will work with a Herbert family member and they're proud of what they do, and they're obviously reputations on the line, which is why one of the reasons why you get such great customer service. They help you find the perfect lawn equipment, whether it's you know, from the deer lineup attractors and utility tractors, even big stuff. You're out there with a cup of farm you work with. But Herbert Motors x Mark Mowers stealing Honda power equipment. Got lots of steel power equipment from Bud Herbert, and I got my Honda walk behind powered lawnmower from them as well. After a terrible box store experience. Don't go with the box store. They don't know what they're talking about. They don't own the business. But Herbert Motors only sells the best. They know everything there is to know about what they sell, and again that's superior customer service. I really appreciate you selling telling them, Brian said, Hi, when you give them a call, it's five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one. That's five four one thirty two ninety one. Online you'll find them at Bud Herbertmotors Dot com fifty five KRC, the talk station Andy Andy