Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI had KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy Kig.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, February third. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. No matter where you're joining us, whether on your app or over the airwaves. At AM six forty, We're happy you're here. Punks Atani phil Saw's Shadow. You know what that means? Six more weeks of winter. Of course, that happened yesterday. We're used to doing the big announcement because it happens right about right about nowish or even a little bit earlier when we're on the air. But it was Sunday, so I didn't know until yesterday afternoon. Oh darn more winter. We're actually going to get some winter. We've got some rainstorms on the way and fog. It was like key soup in my neighborhood this morning, like super dark, and I was like, where are my fog lights? Where are my fog lights? And then I tried to find them and ended up turning off my headlines. I was like, wow, it's really dark out there. But anyway, so if you are heading out, the fog in some areas is very thick. By the time I got to Burbank, it was nice and clear, so no big deal, but be careful out there. Here's what's ahead on your Monday morning wake up call. PCH will fully reopen today, almost four weeks after the wildfire broke out in Pacific Palisades, with clean up efforts continuing and construction getting underway. Drivers are being told to avoid PCH if at all possible due to expected heavy traffic. Police have cleared streets and freeway in downtown LA after thousands of protesters took to the streets to protest President Trump's new immigration policies and deportations. The one to one was blocked by protesters off and on through the afternoon, causing a huge backup. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is headed to the US to meet with President Trump. That meeting it's going to happen tomorrow. He'll be the first foreign leader to visit the White House since Trump took office. For his second term. Netanyahoo's visit comes as negotiations for Phase two of the cease fire deal between Israel and Hamas are set to get underway. We're going to be talking to Jordana Miller. Get the latest on that. In just a second, Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of people have marched in downtown LA to protest President Trump's immigration and deportation policies. Gayfi's Phil Farars's The group started on Alvera Street yesterday in what police called a non permitted demonstration.
Speaker 5: Demonstrators joining in unity near Los Angeles City Hall a block traffic at Spring and Temple Streets. By afternoon, marchers had blocked all lanes of the busy one oh one, causing traffic to back up in both directions.
Speaker 1: The demonstrations went on into the night. A few demonstrators were caught on video spring graffiti on freeway walls and appeared to vandalize at least one car that was stopped in the middle of the crowd. The crowd was broken up after an unlawful demonstration was declared. That happened just after six o'clock. La City and County have differing views on the reopening of Pacific Coast Highway near the Pacific Palisades fire area. Mayor Bass delayed the removal of checkpoints along the highway that was supposed to happen yesterday, saying it was in the interest of safety, but the county has open pch in Malibu and unincorporated areas as planned. Supervisor Lindsay Horvath says sheriff's deputies are still patrolling so residents can go back to their properties.
Speaker 6: Keeping our community safe, coordinated, and in clear communication is critical.
Speaker 1: She says communities in the LA area deserve consistency and core nation as they recover from the wildfires and start rebuilding. Back to back storms are headed towards southern California. The first expected to roll in tomorrow and Wednesday, with light rain expected in La County, heavier rain in Ventura County. The second storms expected Thursday and Friday, with heavier rain and possible thunderstorms for La Inventuria, Ventura counties, and then lighter rain expected in Orange County and the IE. Thousands of feet of k rails and sandbags have been installed as a precaution, but La City council Woman Tracy Park says that might not be enough.
Speaker 7: I don't know that there is enough k rail or sand bags in the world that will stop this from moving and potentially harming our ocean if we get a storm.
Speaker 1: That's bad enough. She says. There are already active landslides in the Palisades area because burned scars do not absorb water. So Britty Carpenter is this year's Grammy winner for Best Pop Vocal Album. The award for Carpenter Short and Sweet, is her first Grammy win. She beat out Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Chapel Rome. Did I say it wrong? Chappelle Chappelle Rone, I'm so hip, it's you're saying Chapel.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just did the pronunciation online and it said she was the expert on pop names. Okay, yes she is. Chappelle Chapel, you can tell. I'm a big fan, and Taylor Swift as well. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordana Miller. Jordana. So far, the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has been holding. Hostages are being released and gosins are being allowed back into their neighborhoods. So what's happening now, right?
Speaker 8: We saw another successful release of three Israeli hostages and Israel also releasing over one hundred almost two hundred actually Palestinian prisoners that unfolded on Saturday, and it included the first American hostage, a native of North Carolina, Keith Siegel, that moved to Israel a few decades ago. He was kidnapped by Hamas on October seventh, and the sixty five year old was finally released on Saturday, looking kind of weak and thin, but able to walk and doctor State say he's in a stable condition. So that's all good news. Now we're looking forward to another hostage release three men coming up on next Saturday. Israel again will release more of Palestinian prisoners. In between, though, very important meetings will take place between the Israeli Prime Minister and President Trump, and they're being described here those meetings which are set for Tuesday as really the most critical for Natanyahu in his long and already you know, storied a political career. A lot on the line here. The President interested in Agaza seasfire, staying and holding enduring. Moving into phase two, what is supposed to end the war, bring all the hostages home, and remember there's still six Americans in Gaza, and a full Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza strip. The President wants that as soon as possible, but the Israeli Prime Minister his timeline it may not be as quick, and he has a lot of fears about what's coming next, and he's still weighing another round of fighting in Gaza. So of course the President and the Israeli Prime Minister see eye to eye on a lot of issues, but they're going to have some tough talks on Gaza on what comes.
Speaker 1: Next, Okay, And then that's that's the big question because as we know that part of the ceasefire is that Israel's got to get all the way out of Gaza.
Speaker 8: Right, That's right, And you know the problem right now, Nathaniel's two central problems. The first is that he's part of a coalition with the far right and they are basically threatening to pull out of the government if he goes through and progresses to phase two of this deal, which will essentially end the war. The second issue that and that would push Natanielle out of power. The second issue that Nathaniel's facing and it's a very real issue whether you're on the right or the left here in Israel is that Hamas appears to be reasserting their control over the Gaza Strip and they're not signaling at all that they're going to step back and let somebody else run the Gaza Strip. And that's critical to phase two of the deal.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: The United States and Israel do not want to see Hamas in power anymore, and Hamas seems to be trying to hold on, to survive in some way and even say hey, we're here for good. So these are very thorny issues. And israel I do not believe this is going to withdraw from the Gaza Strip until these issues of post war Gaza are settled, and they may take some time, more time than President Trump has the patients for. And I think that's where we're going to see some of the tension between the President and the Israeli Prime Minister.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll see what they do and if they present a united front. That meeting happening tomorrow. ABC Stredona Miller, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Talk soon.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in the DC area say the bodies of fifty five people have now been recovered from the commuter plane and army helicopter that collided midair over the Potomac River. DC Fire and EMS Chief John Donnella says some were found over the weekend.
Speaker 2: During our salvage surveys and preparation to lift the aircraft. Additional remains were located and removed from the river and taken to the Meta Examiner's office.
Speaker 1: Crews are preparing to raise the wreckage as they worked to find the other twelve people presumed killed in the collision last week. There were sixty seven people on board the plane and three on the helicopter. The NTSB says the black box from a medical jet that crashed in Philadelphia has been recovered. It was found eight feet underground at the impact site. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says seven people were killed in the fiery crash on Friday evening, including an eleven year old patient and her mother.
Speaker 4: The head of the National Transportation Safety Board says it was a high impact crash and that the plane is highly fragmented.
Speaker 1: The lear Jet crashed shortly after taking off from Northeast Philadelphia Airport. It went down in a residential area, setting off at least six house fires. President Trump is getting more criticism for firing federal prosecutors involved in January sixth prosecutions. On Friday, he ordered more than a half dozen FBI senior executives to retire or be fired or be demoted by today. Former New York, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie says Trump doesn't care if the move ends up in lawsuits.
Speaker 8: He gets to.
Speaker 9: Make the statement, the aggressive statement of doing firing inspectors general or in this case, what he's doing at the Justice Department of the FBI, and then it gets handed over to the courts, and if the court's overturn him, he blames it on the courts.
Speaker 1: ABC News says thousands of FBI employees have been sent questionnaires to determine their roles in investigations or prosecutions related to January sixth, and have until this afternoon to fill them out. Childcare providers across the US are reporting an increase in applicants. One likely factor is that government workers have to go back to the office and need to find childcare for their kids. Liz Levitt, Tofty runs a daycare center, says she relies on federal funding to increase her workforce, but that the Trump administration's proposed freeze on grants would make that difficult.
Speaker 9: We need more funding as it is so ending what we do have right now that happen or we're going to fall apart as a childcare system.
Speaker 1: She says. If federal loans and grants end, it would be catastrophic. The head of Meta says he sees twenty twenty five as a really big year for his Company's AI assistant Mark Zuckerberg says he thinks it'll be the most widely used in the industry. At the same time, soft Bank is reportedly in talks with Open Ai about investing up to twenty five billion dollars in that company. A recent survey shows bathroom anxiety affects a lot of people in the US. The survey by Talker Research shows ninety two percent of people admit having pnxiety, meaning they deliberately put off going into the bathroom so they won't miss out on what they see as an exciting or important moment. On the flip side, it shows thirty five percent of people have missed things like a baby's first steps, photo ops or concert finales because of unavoidable bathroom urgency. I know I shouldn't laugh about it, but what the heck? Oh? And I got a note from from editor Carlo. She says, think of going to the chapel. I'm going to get married, so that's how I'll remember chapel. Rowing entry restrictions into Pacific Palisades were briefly lifted, but then quickly reinstated. Officials say residents were worried that their homes or what's left of them, would be looted. Among other things, many of the homes still standing can't be lived in because of smoke and other fire damage. The CHP and National Guard will be manning checkpoints to make sure only residents are allowed into the area. Protesters had blocked the one on one freeway through downtown LA. The group protesting Trump's deportation policies gathered on Alvara Street yesterday, marched to City Hall and then walked out onto the freeway, blocking traffic in both directions off and on for hours. Police in riot gear moved in shortly after six when the LAPD declared the demonstration unlawful. Both Canada and Mexico have responded to President Trump's announcement that twenty five percent tariffs would be imposed. Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country will implement twenty five percent tariffs against US goods. Mexica's Mexico's President, Claudia Shinbaum also our. Shinbaum also said she plans to implement tariffs on US goods. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. President Trump admits that Americans may feel some pain from the tariffs, which are scheduled to go into effect at midnight tonight. And let's continue talking about tariffs and say good morning to you. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, And so it begins, John. President Trump announced those tariffs against Canada and Mexico, and both of them have something to say.
Speaker 4: Back, Well, that's right, Retali. It's very tariffs, as you just mentioned, Amy, and we can also expect that coming from China as well, ten percent tariffs placed upon Chinese goods coming into the US. And President Trump has acknowledged, not on social media, but also upon landing in Washington yesterday, there will be short term pain that American consumers feel because of these carrits. Whether it is items that you're buying at the grocery store forty percent of our produce comes from Mexico or Canada, or whether it's gasoline a significant amount of crude oil comes from Canada, or even electronics coming from China. When you factor in so much in terms of the electronic industry has its origin in China, it will be impacted on the products that we buy every day.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that one of the tough things about that is once prices go up, it's hard to get them back down again.
Speaker 4: Well, we've seen that, you know, we've seen inflation as high as nine percent under President Biden. It's about two point four percent right now, and there are many economists on Wall Street that predict that in the short term we're going to see inflation go up once again to about three percent in the short term. So prices going up, whether it's gasoline that you're filling up your car with or it's produce at the supermarket, You're going to notice some increases in prices for sure over the course of the next few weeks. Once those terraffs go into effect. And that will be tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then John, you mentioned gas, and you mentioned produce, you mentioned electronics from China. But what are some of the other things that will be affected by these tariffs.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to figure that when you're talking about the price gas, everything is impacted by gas, you know, in terms of being transported by the trucking industry in particular, and so all of this will have an impact on just about anything you can possibly think of. The item itself, you know, may have its origins in Canada, but when you think about auto parts in particular or autos specifically, you're going to see prices increase. There. There's an estimate that I've seen that you could see the price of a new cargo up as much as three thousand dollars because of these tariffs. Obviously it depends upon which kind of car you're you're purchasing, but the President is also pledged to impose tariffs on the European Union, so we could see even more pain when you think about all the products that come from Europe. And then you know that Europe is already planning or I certainly do, because I've spoken to the EO ambassador to the United States. Europe is already preparing for retaliatory tariffs on American goods if indeed those tariffs are placed upon their goods coming into the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, John, I have a question for you about tariffs. So we slap a twenty five percent tariff on We're just going to use Canada for right now, on gas coming in. So that twenty five percent tariff that goes to the US government. It's a fee that's charged as they come in.
Speaker 4: Well, the tariff is paid by the entity that is receiving the product. You mentioned gasoline. Let's mentioned an item. Let's well gasolene. Fine, yes, but the entity that is receiving that product would be paying that tariff indeed to the US government. That is true. But the entity that is receiving that product is not going to eat the cost. Amy They're going to pass that cost along to the US consumer. They're they're in it for profit, and that's the reason why those costs typically are then you know, added on to the product of as it relates to the final cost that Americans pay.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so then maybe I'm understanding tariff's incorrectly. So let's go to produce because that's that's a smaller one to take a bite out of. So if Ralphs and Safe way By produce from Canada, they have to pay twenty five percent, like a twenty five percent fee or twenty five percent more to get it from Canada.
Speaker 4: That is correct.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So it doesn't go to the government, it's that they have to pay. I'm just so confused. Who does the money go to.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, the money, the money would the money that is derived from those tariffs, the money that is added onto the product that does go to the US government. And indeed that that's one of the reasons why President Trump has advocated a trade tariff's policy. He thinks it's putting more money into, you know, the coffers of our government. The problem is is that does it indeed bring down the trade and balance that exists? You know, certainly if you're talking about higher costs on products, it does have an impact on demand and maybe consumers may say, you know what, I'm not going to buy avocados for my Super Bowl party. They're too expensive. I'm not going to buy, you know, a new home. Because the cost of lumber coming from Canada has increased the cost of that home, and so it has an impact ultimately on our GDP when you're talking about the demand on products that Americans purchase, and that's not a good thing when we want a strong economy to increase the labor pool in America and all the things associated with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we know that Trump is talking with both the Trudeau and the leader of Mexico today, so.
Speaker 4: Who knows, But you know what, it's not going to be a conversation which will lead to President Trump removing the tariffs which are due to go into effect tomorrow. I mean, I think it's just a call saying essentially, these tariffs will remain in place until we see a lowering of the trade deficit that exists between the US and Canada, the US and Mexico, or we see a decrease in the amount of fentanyl coming into the US. That's another reason that the President has said that he's imposing these tariffs on both countries.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC not ABC's I don't know why I go to ABC. It's kfi's the White House correspondent, John Decker. I'm just used to saying, all right, John Decker, thank you so much for the information we'll talk to you again very soon. Thank you making sense out of all this so the government makes money and we pay more. A couple of Orange Counties accused of embezzling nearly five million dollars from a company in Irvine. Police didn't name the company, but said it had to shut down, leaving a lot of people without a job. The alleged theft happened between twenty twelve and twenty twenty one. Investigators say the money was spent on luxury vehicles, jewelry, real estate and travel. Gerprite and Deepak Lakiani were arrested over the weekend. A man's been killed in Sunland and what appears to be a targeted murder. Police say the man was walking in a cul de sac late yesterday morning when two cars pulled up Please say a guy got out of each car and both shot the man, killing him. The shooters then got back in their cars and drove off. LA's Boys in Blue are being sued by a guy thrown out a Dodger stadium.
Speaker 10: He was allegedly handcuffed and ejected from Dodgers Stadium while trying to get a second Hello Kitty Bobblehead during a twenty twenty three promotional night. Mark Findler claims he was given conflicting instructions by staff before being confronted by security forcibly removed and injured in the process. His lawsuit alleged civil rights violations, assault, battery, and negligence. Findler is seeking damages for lost income and emotional distress. The Dodgers have not yet commented on the lawsuit. Brigida Dagostino KFI News.
Speaker 1: Child advocates are urging parents to keep a close eye on their kids online activity, including on the popular game Roadblocks. That's where federal authorities say a man in New York connected with an eleven year old girl in Michigan and coherster into sending him nude photos. Child advocate Rebecca Bryan at a woman's resource center in Michigan says Roadblocks is becoming a popular sish site for online predators.
Speaker 11: They may be posing as somebody their own age that goes to the same school.
Speaker 6: Or a neighboring school, but in reality it could be anybody behind the screen.
Speaker 1: Roadblox is an online game platform and game creation system that lets users program and play games created by themselves or other users. Two of the biggest names in the NBA are being traded. The Lakers are trading Anthony Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for Luka Doncic. The twenty five year old Doncic is a five time All NBA First Team selection and was one of three finalists for Most Valuable Player last season. A two part plan to remove checkpoints for access to the Pacific Palisades along PCCh being put in place. LA County portions of PCH reopened. LA City sections of the roadway are scheduled to reopen today as the LAPD transfers responsibility for patrolling the area to the CHP and National Guard. LA County officials have worned to possible mudslides and debris flows in the wildfire burn areas. LA County Supervisor Lindsay Horvath says crews are working to remove fire debris to reduce the risk of debris flooding nearby neighborhoods. Rains expected to start tomorrow and continue through Wednesday, and then another storm moves in Thursday. The cockpit voice recorder from the plane that medical transport plane that crashed into a neighborhood in Philadelphia has been recovered the NTSB says found about eight feet down or it was found about eight feet down in the crater left behind at the point of impact. Seven people were killed nineteen were injured when the plane crash shortly after takeoff on Friday night at six o five a. Sandle on the news. Protesters have taken over the one oh one holding magas signs but not make America Great Again signs, It was Mexicans Always get across signs and five pin fifty new information about the deadly mid air plane crash over the Potomac River. We're going to get the latest with ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the CA twenty four hour newsroom. Protesters across the country are planning a day without immigrants in response to President Trump's deportation policies. Many businesses will be closed and people will not be going to work. The boycott today is being staged by immigrant workers and shop owners to demonstrate their value to the economy. This restaurant owner in Chicago says it's about human rights.
Speaker 3: Like me, there are many many people that just need the opportunity to work without being afraid.
Speaker 1: Immigrants are also asked not to spend money today and keep their kids home from school. February is Black History Month in the US, but some federal agencies are not taking part this year.
Speaker 6: Cultural diversity celebrations are going away for the Department of Defense and the Department of Transportation. Officials made the announcement over the weekend to not observe cultural awareness months going forward. The decision ends recognition of things like Black History Month, Women's History Month, and Pride Month at federal offices. Federal holidays such as Martin Luther King, Jus One Your Day, and Juneteenth will not be affected by the announcement. In contrast to the decision, on Friday, President Trump issued a proclamation recognizing February as Black History Month. Andrew Caravella KFI News a.
Speaker 1: Jail inmate has died in Santa Ana. Officials say the man was found unresponsive in his cell Saturday. Efforts to revive him didn't work. He had been arrested in July for driving under the influence and approbation violation. A new study shows more young Americans are dying from drug and alcohol abuse than ever before. The study, published in JAMA Network Open, reviewed more than three million deaths of people twenty five to forty four between nineteen ninety nine and twenty twenty three. It says unnatural causes of death like drug poisoning, made up a third of all deaths in twenty twenty three. The cost of hosting a Super Bowl party is expected to be about the same as it was last year, but economists with the Wells Fargo Agri Food Institute have found a difference in prices for some popular game day ingredients and prepared foods and broccoli are the best dipping choices since they cost less this year, economists say guacamole fans may want to make it themselves since avocados are more expensive. And speaking of money, let's say good morning now to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, heard on radio stations all across the country and starting today, heard right here on wake Up Call every morning. So good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I love the music that you were playing before. To introduce the money segment, A little fitty to keep us going when it's like an ugly hair on.
Speaker 1: Wall Street, exactly, we thank Kono for that. Our he is our music man, extraordinary. Do you know what I was thinking when it comes to music. I was thinking this song instead. This describes Wall Street today. Just another man. Yeah, he's thinking like a rough day. Okay, so talk to us about Is it because of the tariffs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about it. President Trump is barreling toward this tarff showdown with Canada, Mexico, China. The move couboost inflation, it could hurt economic growth. It's scaring all the nervous. Nelly's on Wall Street down. Futures right now are down six hundred and fifteen points, S and P futures stumbling one point six percent. Want to point out that trading volumes also above average. This morning, Wall Street's kind of waking up and saying, oh gosh, all of this is real. We're seeing the pressure with President Trump playing down the prospect of any about turn in this decision, saying that he doesn't expect anything traumatic to happen from his conversations with leaders of Canada and Mexico. He's talking to them later today.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Cordy, you said that the trading volume is gonna is above average? What does that mean? I mean, I notice that more trading.
Speaker 3: Is but why yes, Because usually when there's a situation kind of like this, people will start hopping back into the markets and saying, Okay, well, I got to look at my portfolio a little bit more and I got to make some adjustments. And that's one of the reasons why we're seeing training volume. People when they woke up this morning, when they said, oh gosh, this is real, then they're like, oh, I need to start trading and getting ready for the trading day. And that's why we're seeing the pressure this morning on the markets. Okay, another thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, go ahead, I was going to say, speaking of traders, I was going to ask you what's ahead for traders this week because we know that there's the tariff talk, but there's other stuff coming up as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and one of the things is earnings. Now a number of major companies are reporting their earnings results. And why people are excited and looking to this they want to see what these companies are going to say about tariffs, what they're saying about the economy right about now. So some of the major companies, and we all know who they are, Amazon, Google, Parent, Alphabet, Ford, we definitely want to hear what those guys have to say about tariffs. Disney Pepsi Chipoli. Those are some of the numbers that everybody's looking for, and we want to hear what the executives are going to talk about in their conference call after And we also have the jobs report coming up on Friday. Wall Street goes crazy about that on Friday. That's a big report that a lot of people look for here on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Courtney, we're going to be talking to you every day, which we're very excited about because I think it's going to be, you know, just a new little fun awareness of what's going on and keep wake up call listeners, you know, attuned to what's going on. But I'm I'm interested in a little bit in you because I love that you're so excited about money.
Speaker 3: Yes, why are you?
Speaker 1: What got you in? Why got you into money and made you so interested in it?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it is actually interesting. I grew up in Brooklyn. I always had a bit of a tough childhood growing up. So that's one of the reasons why I said, you know what, I got to figure out how to make sure my money works for me. And the important thing is I have two kids, I live in I live just outside of New York, city, and I have two small kids and it's important they have college coming up, so to figure out how to be able to pay for that. I know there's a lot of people out there probably feeling the same thing as I do, so it was it's important to look at money, you know, and a lot of people gloss over the money reports are they say, you know what, my spouse is going to take care of that. You know what, you need to be in control. Everybody needs to be in control of their finances and where the money works for them. And it's also important to be able to talk to your financial advisor too, make sure that your goals are all set for the future. So, yeah, it's a fun thing, Courtney.
Speaker 1: See I would do that too, like let your spouse handle it, except I don't have one, so I'm kind of screwed.
Speaker 3: Same here, Okay, so don't worry.
Speaker 1: So I think that that is going to be sort of our goal for Courtney is to be practical and fun and make this segment useful for you to use in your everyday life. And we're going to bring it to you every morning on wake up call right about this time, starting today. Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Thank you so much for your time. Can't wait to talk to you again tomorrow. Thank you tomorrow. All right, take care. I think it's going to be a fun segment, and then maybe I'll learn how to watch what my money is doing. I think it's interesting about the trading volume that everybody went, uh oh, stocks are going crazy. We need to go and check our portfolios and see what's going on. People protesting President Trump's immigration policies took over the one to one freeway, blocking traffic off and on for a few hours yesterday afternoon. A few of the demonstrations demonstrators rather sprayed graffiti on freeway walls and vandalized at least one car that was stuck in the traffic jam. As of about four pm, the LAPD said no arrests had been made. Crews are working to prepare burn areas for the rain that's expected to roll into the south Land starting tomorrow. Public work crews are cleaning drainage areas and debris basins in Pacific Palisades and Altadna, and putting in k rails and sandbags in areas that could see mud and debris flows caused by the rain. Theaters have gone to the dogs. Universal's dog Man, About a half dog, half man police officer, took in thirty six million dollars at the box office. Sci fi thriller, uh, A sci fi thriller? Oh, what's the name of it? Companion finished second with just under ten million dollars in ticket sales. I'm caught up a little bit off guard by Universal's dog Man about a half dog, half man police officer. First of all, I hadn't heard of that, had you. I hadn't seen any trailers for it. Nothing, And it still brought in thirty six million dollars, which isn't spectacular, but it's not bad. Cono, did you go see it?
Speaker 3: I've never heard of it me either.
Speaker 1: It's very intriguing what it sounds like. I got to google it now, dog Man. Okay, I'll do I'll do it in a minute. There it is. Oh, it's an animated show. Okay. I thought it was like a live action show. It's a cartoon. Okay, okay, I mean it makes more sense, I think. Yeah. Okay. We're just minutes away from handling the news this morning. President Trump admits that Americans may feel some pain from tariffs. Which are scheduled to go into effect at midnight tonight. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen portnois so, Stephen, we've got some new details about the mid air crash of the American Airlines Commuter jet and the Army Blackhawk helicopter.
Speaker 11: Well, look, the flight data recorder was recovered from the airplane. Both both black boxes from the airplane and the black Hawk have been recovered, but they have to do some additional work to make the data readable from the Blackhawk. Suffice to say, the indication from the airplane is that it was flying at approximately three hundred and twenty five feet give or take twenty five feet up or down at the time of the collision, which would indicate that was the altitude of the helicopter. As well, it's contradicted by ground based radar, which indicated that the helicopter was at two hundred feet, which is where it should have been. But we are going to have to wait for more data points for the NTSB to come up with a firm conclusion. Obviously, you heard the presidency last week that the helicopter was flying too high. You heard the Defense Secretary say that it was his belief it was the same, and the altitude of the plane would indicate that. But they want to nail it down and the way to do that is to analyze the data firmly from the black Hawk hellectopicopter to get a sense of what it's altimeter was reading. Now as we speak, Amy, the salvage crews are with a crane trying to slowly gently remove the wreckage from the icy Potomac River, and that they're being especially careful because it is where human remains are. Right now, they have recovered fifty five of the bodies, and the suspicion is that the other remaining victims are still inside the airplane, and that is why they're going to do this over several days, very gently, very carefully. It is evidence and human.
Speaker 1: Remains, and it's just such a grim thing. Like you said, it's a delicate operation because there are people, or were people in there, and there's people who are grieving the loss of those people. But they still need to figure out what's going on or what happened.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, there has to be an investigation in parts so that this sort of thing never happens again. I was speaking to an aviation analyst over the weekend because as we look at these data points and we understand what people are saying from you know, whether it's the air traffic controllers and the two warnings that they gave to the helicopter pilot, the elevation of the air the helicopter, and this idea that you have planes landing at runway three three less often than runway one, but you do have planes, particularly smaller regional jets, landing at runway three three at the same time as dozens of military and law enforcement helicopters are buzzing up and down the Potomac for various important missions. The thinking is that this sort of thing was inevitable, preventable, yes, but ultimately bound to happen because there's so much traffic in that area. So what the FA is already done as of last week late last week is imposed a flight restriction for helicopters to say no, no, no, no more are you flying over the Potomac. It's possible that this army helicopter had diverted from Route four, which is the north south route. There were some indications of that last week. The NTSB has not really talked about it very much. But then you have this idea that maybe that route shouldn't have been there in the first place, and that the FAA is catching on to that. I described last week the delicate dance and the sky that goes on above Washington with all these aircraft. Yeah, well now they seem to be changing the rules finally because what they found. It seems what they're finding is that this was inevitable.
Speaker 1: Okay, And Stephen, wasn't the American Eagle plane It had to switch or make a last minute adjustment as well, didn't it.
Speaker 11: There was an indication that the pilots in the instant before the crash knew something was wrong and may have pulled up. But we don't know enough about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we will find out ABC. Stephen Portnoy will be watching, and we thank you was always for the information. Appreciate it, you bet, all right. It's just so sad and tragic, but you know, and then I remember from a previous air from a previous collision that one of the things that they do once they get the airplane out, is they take the whole thing, all the fuselage, to an NTSB lab or something, and they reconstruct it and put it all back together, and again that's going to take a lot of time too, so I hope we get in answers, and I like that they are at least making some temporary changes to try to improve safety because, as Stephen said, inevitable, which is awful too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Dangerous weather is moving into states in the Northwest. Meteorologist Jeff Smith says residents are on alert for heavy rain and mountain snow caused by an infamous atmospheric river.
Speaker 4: That translates into very heavy snow over the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada and the Cascades upwards of four or more feet.
Speaker 1: He says there's an avalanche warning near Lake Tahoe. President Trump says the US may experience some short term pain because of tariffs imposed on Canada, Mexico, and China, and that people understand that, but long.
Speaker 4: Term, the United States has been ripped off by virtually every country in the world. We have deficits with almost every country, not every country, but almost.
Speaker 1: The trade penalties that Trump signed on Saturday at his resort in Florida have caused a mix of panic, anger, and uncertainty. Canada has responded with a twenty five percent tariff on US goods, and Mexico is promising tariffs of its own. China says it's going to sue the US over the ten percent tariffs. President Trump says he's imposing China's Commerce ministry says the lawsuit would be filed at the World Trade Organization. The statement called the tariff a serious violation, and it says China will take measures to safeguard its own rights and interests. Panama's president says his country will end a key deal with China after meeting Secretary of State Marco Rubio, President Jose Raoul Malino said Panama will not give up control of the Panama Canal, as President Trump has talked about a lot recently, but he says they won't renew a deal with China and we'll try to work more closely with the US instead. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to become the first foreign leader to visit the White House when he meets with President Trump. ABC's Jordana Miller says Netanyah, who believes he and Trump can change things for the better in the Middle East.
Speaker 12: Natanyao expected to talk to the President about phase two of the Gaza ceasefire, Iron's nuclear program, and the possibility of normalizing ties between Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow's meeting comes as negotiations for the second phase of the ceasefire with Hamas are set to get under way. What do rodents know about predicting the weather? Kfi's Natalie Miglioriate says some famous ones on the East Coast have mixed prognostics.
Speaker 13: Staten Island Chuck didn't see his shadows Sunday morning, predicting warmer weather sooner rather than later. The same verdict came from Ladia Duena, the resident ground dog at Turtlebag Zoo in New Jersey. Meantime, Melville mell and Holdsville, hal Almong Island predicted six more weeks of winter that was in line with Pocksatoni Phil in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Experts say Staten Island Chuck has been right eighty five percent of the time, but Punk Satani Phil is only right thirty five percent of the time. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI. Low clouds and fog very thick in some areas this morning, then mostly cloudy skies with highs in the sixties at the beaches. Around seventy for Metro La and Inland Orange County, low to mid seventies for the Valley's, upper seventies for the Inland Empire, sixties and seventies in the Anelope Valley. It's going to be cloudy again tomorrow with a chance of rain. Highs in the fifties and sixties, and then rain is likely by late tomorrow night. We'll expect to see rain again on Wednesday, with lives in the low sixties, and then that storm moves out. Another storm moves in Thursday and Friday. It's fifty four in Los Alamitos, forty five in Santa Clarita, fifty seven in Seal Beach, fifty one in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen to anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.