Speaker 1: Is this where Waldo first shows up?
Speaker 2: More or less he'd been around for he Actually I was using him even before I got published a little bit, just because.
Speaker 3: You know, I couldn't draw that well, and I figured I could.
Speaker 2: Finesse a cartoon cat better than I could, Uh, human figures and rubber hoses is fairwell, yeah, I mean that's why they use so many black cats at old cartoons, so very easy to draw.
Speaker 3: That's where it started. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 4: And I'm Joey Angelfield.
Speaker 1: Producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dat Kavareem Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Music of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey. People have been telling stories through pictures since the caveman days, but few have told stories in pictures. Of how they tell stories through pictures, That's where today's guest comes in.
Speaker 4: We're honored to talk with Kim Ditsch, a prolific cartoonist who's been making comics since the underground movement of the nineteen sixties. His latest book is How I Make Comics, published by Fantagraphics. Kim, Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you very much. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Your father, Jean, was an animator for UPA and Terrytoons. What was his influence on you growing up?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's huge, Just the whole idea that, you know, there's something great about leading a creative life. Yeah, that was just pressed into me from the very beginning, and I was very lucky. I both of my parents were really fascinating people, and it couldn't have worked out better for me. Sad to say, later on they were divorced, but that just seemed to be what was going on in those days.
Speaker 1: What was it kind of magical to be raised around art supplies?
Speaker 5: It was magical. Yes. In fact, you know, for a while my father was doing a comic strip. You know, when you're drawing comics, it can get a little well and some you're you're happy to have somebody to come around and talk to you. And I think my father's strip not only did it obviously pushed me in that direction, but well it just brought us closer together.
Speaker 1: Oh it's beautiful.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well yeah, I had a great childhood and there's no getting around it. You know, later on they broke up, and you know, it wasn't so great for my younger brothers, but for me, it really was kind of magical.
Speaker 1: You were one of the pioneers of underground comics. How did you get involved in that scene.
Speaker 5: Well, my younger brother, Simon, it was a big comic book collector, and so I was in this wonderful position because he got all these great old Golden Age comics to thrill and pour over it, not to mention Marvel comics that were coming out, and uh, I thought, well, geez, well, Marvel Comics is never going to hire me. But you know, I was showing my stuff to some of my colleagues at one of my straight jobs, and I was going, you know, this comics thing really fascinates me, but I don't I'm not sure I can really draw well enough to cut the mustard on that. And so this one guy said, well, I don't know, it's better than Captain Hi. And I said, Captain Hi, what's that? And he explained to me that that was a comic strip that was coming out in an underground newspaper called the Eastlach Other. I went and took a look at them. You know, I think I could compete with this, and so about five hundred dollars saved up, I went down to the Lower East Side see what I could do for myself. And you know it was pretty interesting. You know, I brought my work in the first time and the guy at the East Village Others said, well, you know, this is pretty good, but of course we're looking for something more psychedelic, a big buzzword of the time. I thought, well, okay, you know, I got to find a way to stay alive anyway. So it turned out that one of the people working at the East Village other who did Captain I said that, you know, come over and see me. You know, maybe I have some work for you. Well, the work he had for me was he was dealing dope and he sold me a lit of grass for openers, and so well, you know, it was opportunity because yeah, you know, five hundred dollars is gonna last so long, even though I was only paying thirty eight to fifteen a months, right, But boy, I didn't know the hop smell of the Lower East Side. I had to learn in all the hard way, but so that you know, yeah, I started dealing to dope and I started, you know, smoking some of that dope. Get more psychedelic. Brought three comic strips that I'd done under those circumstances back to the East Village other I flipped for them, not like they were going to pay me or anything, but they were willing to publish them. And it was almost the most incredible thing that happened to me in those early days. Actually, the more incredible thing was about a year later, after I'd had my ups and downs with these each other. The original owner, Walter Bowart, married one of the richest women in the United States and was gone. And the new guy that took over, you know, said, Kim would like to have you back. And he said, wait a minute, somebody gets Spain, my old friend Spain. Any your Spain? And he said, Spain, don't I pay you forty dollars a week to do a comic strip and an otherwise do stuff on Paced up nine stuff? He said, yeah, man, sure do need but to me and said that could be you too, And that was like that was my big break. You know, not only was I gonna be working for the East Village over again, but I was going to get paid forty dollars a wait. Plus there was looking to fringe benefits. We could charge art supplies and stuff. We could go down to the Steve Paul scene and see all the big rock and roll stars. It was fantast What can I say?
Speaker 1: Did you have any formal art training or was it all picked up along the way.
Speaker 5: Well, besides watching my father make comics. At a certain point, you know, it was time for me to graduate from high school and my mother said, well, Kim, you know you're graduating high school. What do you think do you want to do? I said, well, you know, ma, I kind of like to maybe just bum around and you know like that. She said that didn't go over big, you know, so I went. I put in two years at Pratt Institute. I almost flunked out the first year. The second year I kind of had it all together and I guess I could have gone on. But then one day I was out drinking at a bar and I bumped into the sky. It was a Norwegian seamen and he told me about how easy it was to ship out Merchant Marine. That sounded like that would really be something to see a little bit of the world. Plus you know all those all those prostitutes and stuff, you know, So that's what happened. I ended up shipping out got out to Japan, which was like just where a twenty year old guy wants to be, you know. That was that was pretty great. I kept up my union dudes for several years after that, and these village other happened. You know. I was actually back at Pratt Instant for a lot of thought, well, you know, maybe in night school I could get my degree and see where that took me. I didn't have to do that, you know. Instead, pretty soon I'm making forty dollars a week at the East Village door. That was a great you know, it doesn't sound like much. That was a great opportunity and I made all I could out of it.
Speaker 1: Well that that's like four times your monthly rent, so I thought it was a significant amount of money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well it didn't stay thirty eight to fifty Finally that place. I ended up at a place that was like fifty dollars a week. But then I my friend Spain, who was working at the East village door. He wanted some place to live, so he said, hey, man, one should let me move in with you. And boy, that's when things were really happened. And it really was happening. I mean I I was not incredibly lucky. What can I tell you?
Speaker 1: Where do that psychedelic style come from? Because when they when they told you you needed to draw in a more psychedelic way.
Speaker 5: I was selling weed, so I was smoking a lot of it too.
Speaker 1: I know there's sort of a stereotypical, archetypal image of psychedelica or whatever you might call it. Did that originate with any individual or was that just kind of a collective thing.
Speaker 5: I think it was just kind of a collective thing, you know. You know the interesting thing that influences are a lot though with me, Like you know von Baudet, remember him. The thing about that was all the graffiti you see these days, not that style. I think I got a lot of it from von Baudet. It's very similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even if they don't realize that's where it's coming from. It sort of seeped into the culture.
Speaker 5: Every time I see something down the street like that Ohn or Bastard. Yeah, he came to this city, and the whole thing is you live up Hebrews Troy, I think in Troy, upstate, New York. And was a pretty straight guy, you know, and he just wasn't ready for the the whole hippie thing. Well then he finally got ready. I turned into a transvest and God was dead at about the age of thirty four. It was really tragic because he was a nice guy too. These village others decided to have an all comics magazine. At first they left him in charge of it, but he just caught it came to me, he said, Kim, I can't take it. I mean, this is just too much for me. This even before he's a transvestite and uh so the boss of evil. He just come into our own here. Said listen, I got this magazine going, guess what. You're the editor, And I said, you gotta another guy's name on there, and Peter and Jerry is theater. He said, listen. My offer to you is he doesn't even see the magazine until it's printed. So I gave it a shot, you know. So suddenly from forty dollars a week, if I could do all the work, I was making ninety dollars a week, except it was a rare week and I actually did everything and my boss joined take great play, dogging me down to about fifty dollars a week. But let me tell you, he was a great guy, and to this day I honor his memory as if anybody gave me a break in this world in the biz, it was him.
Speaker 1: Enjoining the show.
Speaker 4: Click like and subscribe. Is it fair to say that you share an interest in Lost Americana with fellow underground legend Robert Crumb?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, I've always been kind of interested in the old days and the old times and nostalgia, if you will. That's certainly true.
Speaker 1: Was that maybe a product of your exposure a Golden Age comics? Or was there stuff in your home? Like growing up?
Speaker 5: Everything just worked out kind of magically for me in terms of influences, you know, my upbringing in all and all the sadder that you know, somehow didn't work out so good for my brother Simon, who got me into it and it's now dead, and my brother Seth, who isn't exactly doing great financially. I've been a lucky bastard, what can I tell you? And I'm grateful. I'm very grateful. I've I've had advantages. I tried to make the most of them. Still at it miraculous.
Speaker 1: You still seem to be pretty prolific.
Speaker 5: I'd like to think, so, you know, I know, if I stop, well what I do. Yeah, it's like and besides it's it's it's fascinating, you know, I definitely want to keep doing it, you know, I could. I'm working on something right over there. It's a computer. I'm doing a lot of photoshop right now on a story that is about how I got my start and art. Actually, it'll probably be about I don't know, forty seven pages. I'm not exactly sure because I've sort of put it on the hold while I'm doing a bunch of color stuff for that story, because I got a nice opportunity over in France to have a book put out of what I'm doing right now. So I'm yeah, things are a little a little unusual at the moment, but the work is happening. Couldn't be happier about that.
Speaker 1: In a Comics Journal interview you did several years ago, you describe your style as an attempt at trying to draw as realistically as possible and being basically a primitive artist. That's just what comes out. Does that discrete still hold?
Speaker 5: It's a fair thing. I like to think I'm getting to be a better drawer, but.
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 5: I wasn't trying to be cute when I said that, just a fair introspective, trying to give a straight answer to what you see from me. Still working on it. I think I'm getting better as an artist. I don't know, but it was never I was always going to be, you know, a writer who draws and not the other way around. That's I think that's fair to say.
Speaker 1: Also, how do you describe that sort of positioning a writer who draws? Could you elaborate a little on that?
Speaker 5: Well, it just means that I think I probably that's my bigger skill. You know, when I was younger and I was just getting ready ready to go to Pratt Institute, I went over to check with Proble to visit my father and he said, you know, Kim, when I was your age, I could draw circles around here. Are you sure this is really what you want to do? Well? I wasn't really sure, but I said, yeah, Dad, I mean, you know, I think I got something going on to that. Thank God, it sort of seemed to be true because put a little doubt in my mind. But I mean, at least you lived long enough to see I made a go of it, which I'm very proud of, you know, because what if you'd live long enough to see I didn't make a god, that wouldn't be so hot. So you know, he was the great guy too. I miss him.
Speaker 1: I think in alternative comics in particular, it's almost more important to have a distinctive style than to be perfect in your drawing anyway, So the way that you approach it, I mean I can recognize your work whenever I'm flipping through something, and so you know the fact that it's not photorealistic or you're not copying anybody else's style is just coming from your own imagination that certainly comes through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is what it is. You know. It's me trying to do the best I can as an artist, and uh, thank god somebody else likes it to where would I be otherwise?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So it's been, it's been really fantastic and still is.
Speaker 4: What can you tell us about your new very meta book, How I Make Comics?
Speaker 5: The thing about that was, when I mean, when I made that title up. I just thought it was a fun title. I thought, you know, I was telling people for a long time. Well, look, you know, that's that's just a catchy title I came up with because it's not really a how to book, but you know, it is sort of a how to book, because you know what the book, what's going on in the book, it's me pitching one story after and out of my wife, you know, and which is exactly what goes on around here usually it happens on Saturday mornings, and so really it is how I make comics, much to my own personal surprise. So yeah, subconsciously, you must, I must have realized this is more spot on than I was really giving myself credit for Initially.
Speaker 1: How I make comics gives us a front row seat to your creative process in a way I haven't seen before, in the sense that you are even going back and revising comics based on your wife's feedback and all of that as well.
Speaker 5: She's practically a collaborator. I mean, it's really very close to being like that. You know, she's smart, very creative herself. You know, that's my greatest fortune of all in this world that I'm married to this terrific woman.
Speaker 1: Were you at all self conscious about putting so much of your brain on the page?
Speaker 5: Not really. I mean, if I see a good angle for a story, man, I'm going to go for it, because they're not that easy to come up with it that, you know. So look, hey, and like I say about every Saturday morning, I showed him everything I've been doing. No, because she's a good judge, you know, And if it isn't working for her, then I know I'm in trouble. And you know, maybe I'll do something and maybe I can figure out something to do about that. So it's very much a collaborative thing. And this happens.
Speaker 1: And did Fantagraphics just give you a blank slate and say whatever you do is fine with us pretty much?
Speaker 5: You know. Gary Groth is a great guy to work for, and I feel tremendous loyalty towards him because you know, he's I've had them all had good, bad and different. Gary's really something and I'll be there working for him as long as he wants me working for him. I'm not gonna you know, I did jump ship. I went to Pantheon Books for a couple of books. But even then it's sort of funny, like, so I had a book coming out with Pantheon, but I was also doing a fantagraphics The Fanographics book was better, so that taught me something too. No, they're wonderful people at Fantagraphics, and Gary is a terrific guy.
Speaker 1: It does seem to be like a one of one kind of experience for artists who work at or work with Fanographics, in the sense that they're very nurturing. They want to support what you're doing. They're not as concerned about sales as maybe some other publishers. They just want art.
Speaker 5: Because you know, it's not like I'm a world beater of sales selling. But oh no, it seems to be getting a little better. So but no, all hail Panagravit Gary growth. As long as they're there for me, I'm there for them, and you know, yeah, maybe I go off and do this or that after somebody else, but not in any permanent way. I mean, I'm just so amazed and still doing it at all.
Speaker 4: You in the book with an interesting concept proactive humility, could you explain.
Speaker 5: Well, it's simply explained. I mean to me, what proactive humility means is you want to be humble, but you don't want to be so humble that you're putting yourself out of business. You know, Oh g you were my I have nothing and then you're so you're nothing, you know, So yeah, yeah, humble, Okay, great, But you know, humble working too, that's all that really means. I coined that phrase. I'm very proud of that. But I don't know if we'll catch on or not. But it has a meaning. You know, it's explainable.
Speaker 1: So you know there's that are are you humbled by your own career? I know that you're grateful that you're still doing it, but the fact that you are still doing it and that you can look back at your catalog of all the work you've done over the years, is that a humbling thing?
Speaker 5: I think so? I think so. I'm very grateful for the way out everything's worked out. And then you know, I got behind it, got to get behind you. Look, of course, no, I've had a terrific life and I got a terrific wife. I mean, what more do you want? You could want more, but you know it gets a little ridiculous at a certain point.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks so much Kim for joining us.
Speaker 5: My pleasure I enjoyed myself and to our audience.
Speaker 1: Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 4: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.
Speaker 5: See you later, baby,